Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compal Super Cup (Portugal/Angola/Mozambique)

Default Compal Super Cup (Portugal/Angola/Mozambique)

The first Portugal-Angola Supercup will be played in Luanda next month. It will comprise the Portuguese and Angolan champions and two more teams. In years to come the tournament may include other Portuguese-speaking countries (Mozambique, Brazil, Cape Verde, etc.)

Benfica (Portuguese champion)
    Ovarense (2009 Portuguese Cup winner)
    1º de Agosto (Angolan champion)
    Petro Luanda (Angolan Cup runner-up)
    Last edited by rikhardur; 03-12-2010 at 04:25 PM.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Default First Day

Petro de Luanda 67 1º de Agosto 72

Petro de Luanda: Eduardo Mingas(01), Curtis Terry(16),Fernando Albano (00), Roberto Fortes(11),Afonso Rodrigues(00),Paulo
    Santana(02),Miguel Kiala(08) ,Francisco Horácio(13),Mário Porter(04),Vlademir Pontes(00), Hermenegildo Mbunga(04),Idelfonso Kiteculo(08).

Coach: Alberto Babo

1º de Agosto: Filipe Abrão(05),Armando Costa(05), Adilson Baza(00) ,Mário Correia(08) Joaquim Gomes(08), Felizardo Ambrosio(07),Vladimir Gerónimo(08) Francisco Jordão(06), Adolfo Quimbamba (03),Carlos Almeida(05),Miguel Lutonda(17) Islando Manuel(00).

Coach:Luis Magalhães

Benfica de Lisboa 69 Ovarense 55

Default 2º Day

Petro 52 Benfica 87

Petro: Mingas (2), Braúlio Morais (0), Curtis Terry (13), Fernando Albano (0), Roberto Fortes (14), Afonso Rodrigues (2), Paulo Santana (8), Miguel Kiala (6), Francisco Horácio (0), Mário Porter (2), Hermenegildo Mbunga (2) e Idelfonso Kiteculo (3).

Benfica: António Tavares (4), Miguel Barroca (10), Sérgio Ramos (5), Diogo Correia (7), Cristóvão Cordeiro (2), Miguel Minheva (8),
    Bem Reed (10), Ewis Évora (4), Will Frisby (2), Heshimo Evans (14), Ecky Viana (6) e João Santos (15).

Coach: Henrique Vieira.

1º de Agosto 77 Ovarense 55

1º de Agosto: Felipe Abraão (8 pontos), Armando Costa (5), Adilso Baza (7), Mário Correia (3), Kikas (10), Felizardo Ambrósio (3), Ricardino (3), Francisco Jordão (8), Adolfo Quimbamba (9), Carlos Almeida (13), Lutonda (8) e Hermegildo Santos (0).

Coach: Luís Magalhães

Ovarense: Miguel Rodrigues (0), Pedro Azevedo (9), José Barbosa (0), Nuno Avares (6), André Pinto (12), Cris Lee (1), John Waller (15), Miguel Miranda (3), Nelson Costa (6), Humberto Oliveira (3) e Nuno Morais (não jogou).

Coach: Mário Leite

Default Third Day

Benfica was the best time and deserved the cup.
    Miguel Lutonda was named MVP but to me Heshimu Evans of Benfica was the best player in this cup.
    Next year we have more

Benfica 64 1º de Agosto 57

Benfica: António Tavares (3), Miguel Barroca (2), Sérgio Ramos (14), Diogo Correia (00), Cristóvão Cordeiro (00), Miguel Minheva (00),
    Bem Reed (10), Ewis Évora (10), Will Frisby (4), Heshimo Evans (12), Ecky Viana (00) e João Santos (9).

Coach: Henrique Vieira.

1º de Agosto: Felipe Abraão (1), Armando Costa (8), Adilso Baza (2), Mário Correia (5), Kikas (6), Felizardo Ambrósio (3), Ricardino (7), Francisco Jordão (00), Adolfo Quimbamba (4), Carlos Almeida (7), Lutonda (14) e Islando Manuel (0).

Coach: Luis Magalhães

Ovarense 59 Petro de Luanda 66

Ovarense: Miguel Rodrigues(00), Pedro Azvedo(09), José Barbosa(03), Nuno Avares(03), André Pinto(12), Cris Lee(00), John Waller(13), Miguel Costa(09), Nelson Costa(05), Humberto Oliveira(05),Nuno Morais(00).

Coach: Mário Leite

Petro de Luanda: Eduardo Mingas(16), Curtis Terry(07), Fernando Albano(05), Roberto Fortes(02), Afonso Rodrigues(00), Paulo Santana(09), Miguel Kiala(11), Francisco Horácio(03) Mário Porter(09) Vladimir Pontes(00), Hermenegildo Mbunga(04), Idelfonso Kiteculo(00).

Benfica keeps unstoppable since last season. Back to the old days. Ovarense showed very poor game...
    Artificial Nature

Default Compal Cup 2011

The tournament is now called Compal Cup and will be played in Portugal this year (11-13 February) with the following teams:

1º de Agosto (ANG)
    Recreativo Libolo (ANG)
    Benfica (POR)
    Porto (POR)
    Artificial Nature

Quote Originally Posted by rikhardur View Post
    The tournament is now called Compal Cup and will be played in Portugal this year (11-13 February) with the following teams:

1º de Agosto (ANG)
    Recreativo Libolo (ANG)
    Benfica (POR)
    Porto (POR)
    How strong is the connection between the two countries in terms of basketball?

Since Angola is considered a more developed basketball countries do they try to send some of their players to Portugal to up lift the level of the league?
    "No hay poder en el mundo que pueda cambiar el destino"
    -El Padrino

Quote Originally Posted by Saskibaloia View Post
    How strong is the connection between the two countries in terms of basketball?

Since Angola is considered a more developed basketball countries do they try to send some of their players to Portugal to up lift the level of the league?
    Actually no, it's more the other way around. Many players from the Portuguese league (not necessarily Portuguese) go to play in Angola. Afaik wages are generally higher there for more high-calibre players. Just recently Angola NT guard Armando Costa rejected proposals from Benfica and Ovarense and chose to stay in Angola. I guess you get the general scenario with this example
    There used to be many Angolan players in the Portuguese league, but back then they had double citizenship (born before 1974). Since that does not happen anymore, clubs usually prefer to sign Americans...
    Artificial Nature

Since that does not happen anymore, clubs usually prefer to sign Americans...
    I heard that one of Australia's favourite (well more like Sydney Kings' fans) import played in Portugal after playing in the Australian National Basketball League. His name was Rolan "Mack Truck" Roberts. I remembered him very well as he help led Sydney to their third consecutive championship and the following year to the NBL Finals. He was amazing since he was only 6'6" but weas built like a tank thus, he was able to make his presence felt on the defensive and offensive end. He demonstrated that you do not have to be a high jumper to be a great shot blocker as he was in the top 4 in blocks per game but was clearly not one of the highest jumpers in the league.
    "No hay poder en el mundo que pueda cambiar el destino"
    -El Padrino

Artificial Nature

Artificial Nature

Default Day 3

Recreativo Libolo 109 Benfica 107 OT

1º de Agosto 96 Porto 87

1º de Agosto claims the cup!

Final standings:
    1. 1º de Agosto 3-0
    2. Recreativo Libolo 2-1
    3. Porto 1-2
    4. Benfica 0-3

Conclusion: Angolan basketball is now officially ahead of Portuguese basketball
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rikhardur; 02-13-2011 at 10:13 PM.
    Artificial Nature

Taking first and second, wow. Perhaps Benfica should give up their Eurochallenge spot to 1º de Agosto
    Dtown facts: roots for...

Detroit Pistons: We'll be good again...someday

Michigan Wolverines: Hail to the victors valiant.

USA Basketball: It's not koolaid it's 19 Olympic and World cup titles.

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Recreativo Libolo 109 Benfica 107 OT

1º de Agosto 96 Porto 87

1º de Agosto claims the cup!

Final standings:
    1. 1º de Agosto 3-0
    2. Recreativo Libolo 2-1
    3. Porto 1-2
    4. Benfica 0-3

Conclusion: Angolan basketball is now officially ahead of Portuguese basketball
    Sweet! Is that a 1 Million Euro prize as well that comes with winning the tournament ?

I would like to see how Angola would fare if they played in the Euro-Championship qualifiers.... I'm definitely sure they would qualify to this years' Championship (with 24 teams) but not sure if they would make it to the 2nd round. (Depending on which group they were placed in)....When Angola made it to the second round of the World Championships last year they beat Germany and Jordan but we can't really compare the 2 events..... I believe in European championship the level of the teams is closer to one another as compared to that in the WC...
    Last edited by Khalid80; 02-15-2011 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Khalid80 View Post
    Sweet! Is that a 1 Million Euro prize as well that comes with winning the tournament ?
    Glad you mentioned that, since it says there it's 10 thousand euros, but the number shows 1 million The number wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Khalid80 View Post
    I would like to see how Angola would fare if they played in the Euro-Championship qualifiers.... I'm definitely sure they would qualify to this years' Championship (with 24 teams) but not sure if they would make it to the 2nd round. (Depending on which group they were placed in)....When Angola made it to the second round of the World Championships last year they beat Germany and Jordan but we can't really compare the 2 events..... I believe in European championship the level of the teams is closer to one another as compared to that in the WC...
    I thought of that too some days ago. I think Angola would qualify as well with the current system, but I believe they'd still be able to qualify with the previous one. Interesting discussion worth a thread imo.
    Artificial Nature

Glad you mentioned that, since it says there it's 10 thousand euros, but the number shows 1 million The number wrong
    Actually I looked closely at the picture again Rik and you can notice that there is a small dot before the last 2 zeros ... So it's actually 10000.00 Euros (I don't know why they had to add those last two zeros though... I mean is it possible that they could award a prize of 10000.40 Euros for example)

Anyways I had a hunch that it was too good to be true but the organizers of the tournament in Lisboa sure did fool me there for a second... I was like: wow they're so generous in their prizes in Portugal when I first saw it

I thought of that too some days ago. I think Angola would qualify as well with the current system, but I believe they'd still be able to qualify with the previous one. Interesting discussion worth a thread imo.
    I agree that it would be a great topic for a thread....Do you think anyone would read and respond to it if the thread was placed in the African basketball section or should we place it in the European bball section to get more replies and a more lively discussion ?

I'm not even sure it would even be a debate for the current format. To argue Angola couldn't qualify for Eurobasket is to suggest they couldn't beat two of Portugal, Hungary and Finland. Which imo is absurd.

Now could they have qualified for when it was 16 teams? That's definitely more of a debate. But I don't believe they would have been outclassed by any means.
    Last edited by Dtown; 02-16-2011 at 01:40 PM.
    Dtown facts: roots for...

Detroit Pistons: We'll be good again...someday

Michigan Wolverines: Hail to the victors valiant.

USA Basketball: It's not koolaid it's 19 Olympic and World cup titles.

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

The third edition of the Cup will be played in Angola between 7th and 12th February (TBC). For the first time a team from Mozambique will join in.

1º de Agosto (ANG) Super Cup holder
    Petro de Luanda (ANG) National champion
    Recreativo Libolo (ANG) National Cup winner
    Porto (POR) National champion
    CAB Madeira (POR) National Cup runner-up
    Maxaquene (MOZ) National champion
    Artificial Nature

Maxaquene (MOZ) National champion
    This team is coached by a Spanish coach. I don't remember his name.
    FIRE THE NEXT ONE!!!
    EŭroKorbo, the useless basketball blog in esperanto.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzaka View Post
    This team is coached by a Spanish coach. I don't remember his name.
    That's right, Joseba García.
    Artificial Nature

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast