X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rocketstar47 View Post
    Did you know that Keith Smart former San Miguel import is
    the current head coach of the Golden State Warriors

Chip Engelland of NCC is the current conditioning coach of San Antonio Spurs
    Delano "Dell" Demps, the courageous former Pepsi import is the current General Manager of the New Orleans Hornets.

Kurtis Townsend, the brother of Fil-Am NBA player Raymond Townsend and a member of the pick-up team that included his brother and NBA greats Clifford Ray and Jamaal Wilkes that played a couple of games here in the early 80's is now the assistant coach at Kansas.
    Last edited by fordmo47; 04-07-2011, 01:40 AM. Reason: Correct facts and grammatical errors

Comment

• Originally posted by Jay P. Mercado View Post
      EE, yes, imports during conferences with unlimited height for imports are still measured. Note that the declared heights of imports who come over are normally "padded" to make them more marketable in the US market. When Chris Alexander came in, I remember he was declared to be at 7'1 but was only measured at 7'0 in local shores.
      But what about the case of Jameel Watkins?
      Why like that?

Comment

• Don Ramon's and King Philip's first commercial teams

Originally posted by Jay P. Mercado View Post

3. Ramon Fernandez used to don jersey #10 when he was still playing for Toyota. He already used this number when he was still in the MICAA playing for the San Miguel Braves and for the national team that won the 1973 ABC tournament held at the Rizal Memorial Coliseum. He later changed his jersey number to #19 when he moved to Tanduay as teammate Freddie Hubalde was already carrying that number.
        As the El Presidente was stressing to all those asking him. # 19 was what he wore in his first stint with the San Miguel Braves of Manny Paner, Yoyong Martirez and Estoy Estrada. Since he was a rookie then and not yet a superstar, there were no moves or clamor for the incumbent wearer of # 10, Alejandrito "Dodie" Miego at that time, to yield # 10 to Don Ramon. My brothers and I, along with our grandfather personally saw that in the 1973 National Seniors at the old Rizal Memorial Coliseum.

Later that year, Don Ramon resurfaced as part of the Komatsu Komets as a teammate of the Big J and the Big Boy and Francis Arnaiz. A co-rookie at that time was Rodolfo "Ompong" Segura who was a ward of their coach Nilo Varona in Adamson.

That's why when he returned to San Miguel in 1988, incumbent # 10 wearer Alvin Teng was not pursuaded to do a Mario Chalmers to Fernandez's LeBron James because El Presidente opted to return to the # 19 he originally wore in San Miguel when they were still amateurs.

In the same manner, Philip Cezar's first commercial team was the YCO Painters in 1973 where he wore # 20 while JRC teammates, brother David Cezar and Ed Carvajal wore #s 21 and 22 respectively. Maybe then YCO teammate Elias Tolentino, Philip's brother-in-law has something to do with that move.

Later on much to my disappointment, in the PANAMIN tournament, Philip and company moved to Crispa and ironically their first game as Redmanizers was against YCO. YCO led by more than 20 points but Crispa eventually came back mainly to the efforts of Philip Cezar himself.

I cried the whole week-end because to add insult to injury, a former house-mate, a Crispanatic, was taunting me about YCO's embarrassing loss.
        Last edited by fordmo47; 04-07-2011, 09:46 AM. Reason: Correct facts and grammatical errors

Comment

• Charlie Floyd - The Man Who Scored the First Triple in the PBA.

Hindi naman, kuya, masyado ka lang affected when we were 9 years old (summer of 1974, we weren't 10 yet).

Now thanks to this forum, I got the name of the Tefilin import who partnered with Ira Terrel in the 1980 Open. Charlie Floyd, it is. Charlie Floyd is the answer to the trivia question:

"Who is the player who first scored a three-point field goal in an official game?"

As a kid, I've always loved the ABA. Although the three-point field goal did not originate there, it was the league that popularized it. Even the simulated basketball dice and board games my twin brother and I played had the three-point field goal earlier than the PBA.

That's why it was important to me who would score the first three-pointer in the Philippines when the PBA introduced the rule in 1980 (remember the configuration of the PBA 3-point line then?)

Robert Jaworski, as far as I know is the first player to score a three-point field goal and it was against Crispa, but he made it in a pre-season game.

By the way, that was the only three-pointer scored in that doubleheader that night. In the first game between Royal Tru Orange and U-tex, none were scored.

In an official game though, it was Charlie Floyd who scored the very first three-point field goal for Tefilin in the opening game of the 1980 season. It was also against Crispa which fielded the import tandem of Glen Mosley and Sylvester Cuyler. Tefilin had the advantage in imports as Ira Terrel and Floyd could play together while Cuyler and Mosley could only play alternatively.

Tefilin won its very first game in the PBA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Percival O. Flores View Post
            Hindi naman, kuya, masyado ka lang affected when we were 9 years old (summer of 1974, we weren't 10 yet).

Now thanks to this forum, I got the name of the Tefilin import who partnered with Ira Terrel in the 1980 Open. Charlie Floyd, it is. Charlie Floyd is the answer to the trivia question:

"Who is the player who first scored a three-point field goal in an official game?"

As a kid, I've always loved the ABA. Although the three-point field goal did not originate there, it was the league that popularized it. Even the simulated basketball dice and board games my twin brother and I played had the three-point field goal earlier than the PBA.

That's why it was important to me who would score the first three-pointer in the Philippines when the PBA introduced the rule in 1980 (remember the configuration of the PBA 3-point line then?)

Robert Jaworski, as far as I know is the first player to score a three-point field goal and it was against Crispa, but he made it in a pre-season game.

By the way, that was the only three-pointer scored in that doubleheader that night. In the first game between Royal Tru Orange and U-tex, none were scored.

In an official game though, it was Charlie Floyd who scored the very first three-point field goal for Tefilin in the opening game of the 1980 season. It was also against Crispa which fielded the import tandem of Glen Mosley and Sylvester Cuyler. Tefilin had the advantage in imports as Ira Terrel and Floyd could play together while Cuyler and Mosley could only play alternatively.

Tefilin won its very first game in the PBA.

Sir some slight correction that team which was originally coached by Fely Fajardo and with Jun Bernardino as assistant was called Filsyn Polyester Fibers, Tefilin was adopted the following season with Norman Black as their import.

I remember this because as a young basketball fan I was asking what is a Polyester Fiber and all I gotten was a blank stare and an oldtimer would just tell me "basta ganun lang tawag" just like Redmanizers, Tamaraws, Wranglers, Esquires, etc.
            LABAN KUNG LABAN! KAYA NATIN PILIPINAS!
            Mabuhay ang TEAM PILIPINAS !!!!

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
            THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

Kadiri that 3 point line configuration. In trying to be unique like the 25 second shot clock, there were no 3 point lines at the sides. If someone here can draw it, the younger generation would find the configuration to be quite appalling.
              Last edited by fordmo47; 04-11-2011, 06:54 AM. Reason: correct spelling

Comment

• Originally posted by nardy View Post
                Sir some slight correction that team which was originally coached by Fely Fajardo and with Jun Bernardino as assistant was called Filsyn Polyester Fibers, Tefilin was adopted the following season with Norman Black as their import.

I remember this because as a young basketball fan I was asking what is a Polyester Fiber and all I gotten was a blank stare and an oldtimer would just tell me "basta ganun lang tawag" just like Redmanizers, Tamaraws, Wranglers, Esquires, etc.
                Nardy,

Wasn't Filsyn the amateur team of Tefilin in the MICAA or Interclub? What could have caused the confusion was that Filsyn was already in existence for some time before they entered the PBA as Tefilin.

If my memory serves me right, Filsyn's notable players include legal luminary Gregorio "Ogie" Narvasa and 1982 RP Youth team captain Luis "Louie" Brill.

Comment

But what year did Jumping Jack led the FEU Tamaraws to the Championship as head coach?
                  1983, and guess who was his victim, the UP Maroons of course. FEU had the twice to beat advantage in the Finals. UP won the first game 88-83, but lost the second game 92-90.

I saw both games live at the Rizal Memorial Coliseum, dahil hindi pa televised ang UAAP noon, or if at all it was televised, delayed by two or three days.

Comment

• Originally posted by fordmo47 View Post
                    Kadiri that 3 point line configuration. In trying to be unique like the 25 second shot clock, there were no 3 point lines at the sides. If someone here can draw it, the younger generation would find the configuration to be quite apalling.

Somebody did that for me about two years ago sa MyPBA, a kid by the name of Ronidux did it accurately.

That three point line is memorialized in the surviving tapes of the U-tex-Toyota 1980 Finals, Game 5 which U-tex won 99-95. From what I recall, Jaworski had 5 triples in that game, while for U-tex, Bogs Adornado had one.

That was the only time that the PBA used its own configuration of the three-point stripe. In 1981, the PBA would use the more recognizable three point line used in the NBA and earlier, the ABA.

Comment

Nardy, so sorry. But the professional team was always called the Tefilin Polyesters from its inception in 1980 until its disbandment at the end of the 1981 season.

I remember Ira Terrel rather well because he was a heralded Phoenix Sun rookie in 1976-77. Then just like that, he ended up as an import in the PBA. He jumped the ceremonial jump ball with Glen Mosely of Crispa in the opening game of the 1980 season. There's "TEFILIN" spelled across his broad chest.

From the press conference heralding the team's entry in the PBA, the team was known even by then as the Tefilin Polyesters.

Filsyn was the name of its amateur farm team in the Interclub and MICAA.

Comment

• 00. Donald Robinson - Galerie Dominique (1983)

Originally posted by Jay P. Mercado View Post
                        2. Ginebra import Michael Hackett was the first player in the PBA to use jersey number "00."

Donald Robinson of Galerie Dominique wore #00 in 1983, two years ahead of Michel Hackett. So he would be the first, unless somebodyy digs up a player who was ahead.

At 6'10", he was import partner of the more famous Larry Fogle, who once led the US NCAA in scoring for Canisius University.

Comment

Donald Robinson of Galerie Dominique wore #00 in 1983, two years ahead of Michel Hackett. So he would be the first, unless somebodyy digs up a player who was ahead.

At 6'10", he was import partner of the more famous Larry Fogle, who once led the US NCAA in scoring for Canisius University.
                          Also remember one that was among the big imports who wore "0" jersey number.
                          LABAN KUNG LABAN! KAYA NATIN PILIPINAS!
                          Mabuhay ang TEAM PILIPINAS !!!!

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
                          THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

Also remember one that was among the big imports who wore "0" jersey number.
                            The original TOPAX ROBINSON. He was so temperamental he got thrown out of a ballgame against Tanduay when he angrily threw the ball at Tanduay's import Francois Wise's face after Wise raised his hands in triumph after scoring over him.

Comment

• ABA veterans who played in the Philippines (MICAA/PBA)

More trivia, this time inspired by the elevation of Artis Gilmore to the Hall of Fame in recognition of his play while in the ABA.

Name at least five ABA veterans who played in the Philippines (MICAA/PBA):

Leverne Tart (New Jersey Americans, etc./U-tex Weavers - MICAA)
                              Paul Scranton (Anaheim Amigos/Crispa - MICAA)
                              Eugene Moore (Kentucky Colonels, etc./Tanduay)
                              Harry Jerome Rogers (Spirits of St. Louis/Seven-Up)
                              Billy "the Kid" Harris (San Diego Conquistadors/Seven Up)
                              Ansley Truitt (Dallas Chaparrals/Crispa).

Name the PBA import who was the son/namesake of an ABA/NBA Hall-of-Famer: George Gervin, Jr. (Coca Cola Tigers)

Name the PBA import who was the brother of the same ABA/NBA Hall of Famer: Derrick Gervin (Purefoods)

Comment

• Originally posted by fordmo47 View Post
                                My friend, the present councilor Pablo "Chiqui" Ocampo IV was part of the team. I remember him distinctively scoring 7 points twice on garbage time since CDCP's game sped up and they became instant winners with the entry of Wilkins.

Chiqui Ocampo, a San Beda and YCO Painter stalwart was like Amadeo Sagarbarria and Jojo de Guzman who were collegiate or amateur superstars in the early 70's but miraculously were still able to become rookies in the 1980 season. Sagarbarria and de Guzman resurfacing for Tefilin.

Incidentally, the score of 69 points by CDCP was an all time low at that time because Ron Jacobs still has to arrive on the scene. With his arrival, scores of 62 -51 (San Miguel -Purefoods (?)) became commonplace. At that time scores of 142 -137 were quite common especially when Terrence Bailey and Alan Caidic combined forces at Presto.
                                Kaibigan mo pala si Chiqui (Pablo Ocampo IV of CDCP). The one time I saw him in person was a bit sad. In 1998, I was an election lawyer in Manila, and I saw Chiqui Ocampo bidding his staff farewell after apparently he lost in his re-election bid. Gusto ko nga sanang batiin at magpakilala na kapwa Bedista.

Si Sagarbarria naman as you may know, 'di ba pinsan buo ni Raul Sagarbarria Roco.

Terrence Bailey, Walker Russell, Kenny Redfield, are, to my mind, among the best passing imports of all time. They can dish, as well as unleash.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information