PBA Trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jay P. Mercado View Post
    Good point Oca. But I think Fordmo was referring to the first seven foot import to play in local shores, amateur or professional. I don't recall Bunce much, as I only started following the game in 1973, particularly during the ABC tournament held here in Manila.

Fordmo's trivia on Bunce is very interesting especially considering that we don't normally have 7 foot imports playing in the country. Of course, we had a couple of seven footers in the 2008-2009 Fiesta Conference when we saw Chris Alexander and Adam Parada playing for Ginebra and Red Bull, respectively, and a couple of 6'11's in Wesley Wilson of Sta. Lucia and Jameel Watkins of Magnolia. Reminds me of the time when CDCP paraded the tallest import combo in the history of the PBA (perhaps, the history of PHL basketball) in the 6'11 Edmond Lawrence and the 7'0 George Lister. If I'm not mistaken, Lister was replaced by the 7'0 Jeff Wilkins when the Builders couldn't make a dent against the powerhouse teams.

Here's a list of former 7 footers who have played in the PBA:

1. Nate Stephens - Royal Tru Orange
    2. Steve Stroud - 7/UP
    3. Earl Barron - Red Bull
    4. Adam Parada - Red Bull
    5. Chris Alexander - Ginebra
    6. Darryl Johns - Coke
    7. George Lister - CDCP
    8. Jeff Wilkins - CDCP
    9. Jim Zoet - Finance Inc.
    10. Lorenzo Coleman - Purefoods

Kindly feel free to add more names in this stratospheric list...
    Just want to ask if during conferences which there's no height limit for imports, do they still undergo an official height measurement from the PBA office?

I'm just wondering coz in the 2004 Fiesta (Transition) Conference, when the height ceiling was 6'8", Shell's Jameel Watkins was only measured @ 6' 7-7/8".
    But when he returned in 2007-2008 Fiesta Conference when there was no more height limit, he became 6'11"!

So which was more credible, Watkins being a 6'7-7/8" or being a 6'11"?

Comment

Reminds me of the time when CDCP paraded the tallest import combo in the history of the PBA (perhaps, the history of PHL basketball) in the 6'11 Edmond Lawrence and the 7'0 George Lister. If I'm not mistaken, Lister was replaced by the 7'0 Jeff Wilkins when the Builders couldn't make a dent against the powerhouse teams....
      That import combo has to be one of the slowest import tandems ever. For not only were they tall, they were bulky as well. I remember CDCP losing a game by the score of 94 - 68 against whom I can not remember because of those imports' bulk, they can not even speed up their game even if its already garbage time.

Wilkins was somewhat slimmer and played in the NBA for the Jazz. There were rumors that he was throwing up games here so that with early elimination, he can report to the NBA pre-season camps on time (an early version of Dexter Shouse). He threw one of the nastiest elbows I ever saw to Toyota's Andy Fields. If you saw it, you could have sworn that Fields' head was almost detached from his body. So even if I was not a Toyota fan, I hated that act by Wilkins and rooted for Toyota to win.

Was Lawrence's partner really George Lister? If so then there were two Listers who played in the PBA. James Lister is somewhat shorter at 6' 8" or 6' 9" and played for Tefilin along with Charlie Floyd and the brother of former Milwaukee Buck Alton Lister, and who I believe is now a big man coach here. The recent news accounts we read of him is quite tragic.
      Last edited by fordmo47; 04-06-2011, 10:14 AM.

Comment

• Yes, George Lister once partnered with Edmond Lawrence at CDCP. He was later replaced by Wilkins when he was deemed ineffective by then coach Nic Jorge (?). I'm trying to recall the members of that CDCP team but could only come up with a couple of names like Renato Lobo, Anthony Dasalla and Manny Paner. Not sure if Romy Palijo, Jack Chua, Angelito Ladores were with the Builders as well.

EE, yes, imports during conferences with unlimited height for imports are still measured. Note that the declared heights of imports who come over are normally "padded" to make them more marketable in the US market. When Chris Alexander came in, I remember he was declared to be at 7'1 but was only measured at 7'0 in local shores.

Comment

• Originally posted by fordmo47 View Post
          That import combo has to be one of the slowest import tandems ever. For not only were they tall, they were bulky as well. I remember CDCP losing a game by the score of 94 - 68 against whom I can not remember because of those imports' bulk, they can not even speed up their game even if its already garbage time.

Wilkins was somewhat slimmer and played in the NBA for the Jazz. There were rumors that he was throwing up games here so that with early elimination, he can report to the NBA pre-season camps on time (an early version of Dexter Shouse). He threw one of the nastiest elbows I ever saw to Toyota's Andy Fields. If you saw it, you could have sworn that Fields' head was almost detached from his body. So even if I was not a Toyota fan, I hated that act by Wilkins and rooted for Toyota to win.

Was Lawrence's partner really George Lister? If so then there were two Listers who played in the PBA. James Lister is somewhat shorter at 6' 8" or 6' 9" and played for Tefilin along with Charlie Floyd and the brother of former Milwaukee Buck Alton Lister, and who I believe is now a big man coach here. The recent news accounts we read of him is quite tragic.
          There is no George Lister, Alton's brother is 6'9 James Lister who was the original partner of 6'11 Lawrence at CDCP but 7'0 Jeff Wilkins replaced James thus forming the tallest import combination in PBA history. Wilkins was impressive in his short stint that CDCP brought him back but team name was changed to Galleon Shippers, Thats the time Jeff was trying to get out of his contract as Utah Jazz was calling him. Floyd's partner in Tefelin was Ira Terrell who'll also saw action with U-tex years after.
          LABAN KUNG LABAN! KAYA NATIN PILIPINAS!
          Mabuhay ang TEAM PILIPINAS !!!!

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
          THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

Yes, George Lister once partnered with Edmond Lawrence at CDCP. He was later replaced by Wilkins when he was deemed ineffective by then coach Nic Jorge (?). I'm trying to recall the members of that CDCP team but could only come up with a couple of names like Renato Lobo, Anthony Dasalla and Manny Paner. Not sure if Romy Palijo, Jack Chua, Angelito Ladores were with the Builders as well.

EE, yes, imports during conferences with unlimited height for imports are still measured. Note that the declared heights of imports who come over are normally "padded" to make them more marketable in the US market. When Chris Alexander came in, I remember he was declared to be at 7'1 but was only measured at 7'0 in local shores.
            My friend, the present councilor Pablo "Chiqui" Ocampo IV was part of the team. I remember him distinctively scoring 7 points twice on garbage time since CDCP's game sped up and they became instant winners with the entry of Wilkins.

Chiqui Ocampo, a San Beda and YCO Painter stalwart was like Amadeo Sagarbarria and Jojo de Guzman who were collegiate or amateur superstars in the early 70's but miraculously were still able to become rookies in the 1980 season. Sagarbarria and de Guzman resurfacing for Tefilin.

Incidentally, the score of 69 points by CDCP was an all time low at that time because Ron Jacobs still has to arrive on the scene. With his arrival, scores of 62 -51 (San Miguel -Purefoods (?)) became commonplace. At that time scores of 142 -137 were quite common especially when Terrence Bailey and Alan Caidic combined forces at Presto.

Comment

• Former PBA imports now in the NBA as coaches

Did you know that Keith Smart former San Miguel import is
              the current head coach of the Golden State Warriors

Chip Engelland of NCC is the current conditioning coach of San Antonio Spurs
              sigpicNEVER SAY DIE PILIPINAS!

Comment

Yes, George Lister once partnered with Edmond Lawrence at CDCP. He was later replaced by Wilkins when he was deemed ineffective by then coach Nic Jorge (?). I'm trying to recall the members of that CDCP team but could only come up with a couple of names like Renato Lobo, Anthony Dasalla and Manny Paner. Not sure if Romy Palijo, Jack Chua, Angelito Ladores were with the Builders as well.

I think Orly delos Santos was one of the Filmanbank originals who were retained. Rudolf Kutch would bolt out of U-tex and join ex- U-tex team mates Dasalla and Lobo at Galleon after Paner left the team. But the Superstars of this team is ex-PSBA Jaguar Gary Vargas and Joseph Herrera who would be included in the Mythical 5. Also remember LUKE DACULA surfacing in a CDCP uniform as Luke Dator.

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
                THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

• Thanks Nardy...that should give us an idea of the lineup of this team...

As a review:

CDCP / Galleon Shippers:

Paner (1980 only)
                  Lobo
                  Dasalla
                  Kutch (1981 only)
                  Delos Santos
                  Vargas
                  Dator
                  Herrera

Hmmm...I can't recall Joseph Herrera being part of the Mythical 5 in 1980. Herrera was a solid shooting guard but that position is too deep in the PBA for him to be considered.

So, would you recall if Chua, Palijo and Ladores were part of the team as well?

Comment

Thanks Nardy...that should give us an idea of the lineup of this team...

As a review:

CDCP / Galleon Shippers:

Paner (1980 only)
                    Lobo
                    Dasalla
                    Kutch (1981 only)
                    Delos Santos
                    Vargas
                    Dator
                    Herrera

Hmmm...I can't recall Joseph Herrera being part of the Mythical 5 in 1980. Herrera was a solid shooting guard but that position is too deep in the PBA for him to be considered.

Remember during those days the awards were only based on All-Filipino Conference performance. Galleon had a great conference that year and Herrera was greatly supported by Vargas, Dasalla and Kutch. Lobo never really got his game going in the PBA. U-tex struggled with Kutch, Dasalla and Lobo gone and Glen McDonald not an effective coach. Also Tanduay and Royal had an off season. Willie Generalao of Gilbey's was the one who challenged Herrera. Rookie of the was Presto's Cho Sison.

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
                    THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by nardy View Post
                      Remember during those days the awards were only based on All-Filipino Conference performance. Galleon had a great conference that year and Herrera was greatly supported by Vargas, Dasalla and Kutch. Lobo never really got his game going in the PBA. U-tex struggled with Kutch, Dasalla and Lobo gone and Glen McDonald not an effective coach. Also Tanduay and Royal had an off season. Willie Generalao of Gilbey's was the one who challenged Herrera. Rookie of the was Presto's Cho Sison.
                      But the rules on the awards changed after Atoy Co won the 1979 MVP despite placing only second to Ramon Fernandez after the 1st Conference, the AFC. Co was with the champion team Crispa which probably led to sports scribes voting for him instead of Fernandez in one of the most controversial MVP decisions made.

In 1980, the year Philip Cezar won the MVP, the statistics were culled for the entire season already. This was also the same year when Willie Generalao won the ROY title. The Mythical 5 members for that season were Cezar, Co, Adornado, Jaworski and Fernandez. The same players, with the exception of Francis Arnaiz supplanting Robert Jaworski, retained their Mythical 5 slots in the 1981 season.

Comment

But the rules on the awards changed after Atoy Co won the 1979 MVP despite placing only second to Ramon Fernandez after the 1st Conference, the AFC. Co was with the champion team Crispa which probably led to sports scribes voting for him instead of Fernandez in one of the most controversial MVP decisions made.

In 1980, the year Philip Cezar won the MVP, the statistics were culled for the entire season already. This was also the same year when Willie Generalao won the ROY title. The Mythical 5 members for that season were Cezar, Co, Adornado, Jaworski and Fernandez. The same players, with the exception of Francis Arnaiz supplanting Robert Jaworski, retained their Mythical 5 slots in the 1981 season.
                        Yes sorry, I stand corrected. What I remembered was actually a Sports Weekly Magazine citing the best performers of that 1981 All-Filipino and not the awards for the said year.

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
                        THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

Thanks Nardy...that should give us an idea of the lineup of this team...

As a review:

CDCP / Galleon Shippers:

Paner (1980 only)
                          Lobo
                          Dasalla
                          Kutch (1981 only)
                          Delos Santos
                          Vargas
                          Dator
                          Herrera

Amang Ladores did play for CDCP but he retired with Gilbey's.

Am sure Palijo suited-up with CDCP together with Chiqui Ocampo and Jose Rillo.

Larry Mumar also suited up for CDCP for a short time before resurfacing at Great Taste which only lasted a few games then he disappeared from the PBA. Edmund, Another of the Tierra brothers (Marty, Jomar and Adonis) played with CDCP.

CDCP also had a good undersized Powerforward named Nilo Cruz.

Lastly, I remember CDCP also had guards surnamed Obrique and Ocariza.

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
                          THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

• That's Ben Ocariza for you. Not sure about Obrique, I think his name is Marlon.

So the lineup then would have been:

CDCP / Galleon Shippers:

Paner (1980 only)
                            Lobo
                            Dasalla
                            Kutch (1981 only)
                            Delos Santos
                            Vargas
                            Dator
                            Herrera
                            Ocampo
                            Ladores
                            Rillo
                            Ladores
                            Cruz
                            Obrique
                            Ocariza
                            Palijo
                            Mumar

What about Chua? Would anyone recall if Chua, who also played for 7/UP and Filmanbank as a 6'3 center, also suited up for the Builders?

Comment

That's Ben Ocariza for you. Not sure about Obrique, I think his name is Marlon.

So the lineup then would have been:

CDCP / Galleon Shippers:

Paner (1980 only)
                              Lobo
                              Dasalla
                              Kutch (1981 only)
                              Delos Santos
                              Vargas
                              Dator
                              Herrera
                              Ocampo
                              Ladores
                              Rillo
                              Ladores
                              Cruz
                              Obrique
                              Ocariza
                              Palijo
                              Mumar

What about Chua? Would anyone recall if Chua, who also played for 7/UP and Filmanbank as a 6'3 center, also suited up for the Builders?

what I remember when most of the Filmanbank players gone to CDCP, Jimmy Mariano, Jimmy Otazu and Freddie Enriquez retired. If I am not mistaken Jack Chua joined Jun Papa in suiting-up with Great Taste.

But what year did Jumping Jack led the FEU Tamaraws to the Championship as head coach?

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
                              THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

That's Ben Ocariza for you. Not sure about Obrique, I think his name is Marlon.
                                Obrique's first name is Robinson. The guy has what would you call nowadays as Fil-Am features. A little bit on the dark side with long curly hair.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information