Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australia national team (Boomers)

AUS – Boomers’ Newley out of action after knee-op

ISTANBUL (2010 FIBA World Championship) – Australia international Brad Newley is facing a lengthy spell on the sidelines while he recovers from knee surgery.

The Boomers forward, who is playing for Besiktas in Turkey, had an operation to repair a torn meniscus and will now need several weeks of rehabilitation.

“I’ve been out one month and I’m going to be out another month, so it hasn’t been great,” Newley said to SEN Sport Radio’s ‘In the Paint’ program on Sunday night.

“I started playing really well before I had the injury but the last month has been pretty quiet for me.

“The important thing is the team continues to win as we’re trying to win the Turkish league.”

The 24-year-old forward was in Istanbul last week when the draw was held for the FIBA World Championship that is to be staged in Turkey next year.

Australia fell into Group A with Argentina, Serbia, Germany, Angola and Jordan and Newley, who should be fully fit when the event tips off in September, admits it’s going to be a tough campaign.

“I haven’t been able to play too much so I’ve been doing a fair bit of analyzing of that sort of stuff,” Newley said.

“It’s a good group for us. People can say, ‘it’s strong, it’s strong’, but no matter who you play, on their day they’re going to be tough.

“Angola can surprise you, Jordan we don’t know anything about. Then you’ve got Serbia, Germany and Argentina and they’re all proven customers.

“The most important thing for the Boomers is for us to be together for as long as possible and to try and have our best group and I think this is the best group we’ve had for a number of years.

“At the recent Olympics we started to perform really well towards the end and particularly the young guys stepped up and I think we can put in a good performance on Turkey.”

Indeed, Australia were one of the hottest teams at the Beijing Olympics when they reached the Quarter-Finals but they took on the heavily-favored United States and suffered a comprehensive defeat.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

AUS – Brown hails ‘formidable’ starting five of Group A opponents Argentina

SAN ANTONIO (2010 FIBA World Championship) - Australia coach Brett Brown believes a full-strength Argentina will be tough for any side to face at the 2010 FIBA World Championship in Turkey.

The South Americans are fearless competitors even without their main weapons, as they proved two years ago in Beijing by overcoming the absence of the injured Manu Ginobili and beating Lithuania in the bronze-medal game.

Andres Nocioni was also nowhere near 100% as he was carrying a knee injury in that game.

If Argentina are in their rhythm on August 29 when they go up against Australia in Kayseri, it’s going to be a very tough game for the Boomers.

“A lot of their players I know just from my experience here in the NBA,” said Brown, an assistant coach with the San Antonio Spurs – Ginobili’s team.

“You know their team is stacked with NBA talent and it reeks of a very veteran and mature team that has gone through a lot of experiences on the international stage together for some time now.

“I know Spain has recently emerged as the team outside the United States to be at the forefront, but you can never underestimate a team with Manu Ginobili, Fabricio Oberto, Luis Scola, Carlos Delfino and Andres Nocioni in it.

“You’re not going to get a more formidable starting five than the experience they have in that team that they can roll out.

“I know a lot about Argentina and it all amounts to a tremendous amount of respect.”

Argentina thumped Australia 85-68 on the second day of the men’s tournament in Beijing, a result that contributed to Australia having to face the heavily-favored United States in the Quarter-Finals.

Group A has such good balance with Serbia, Angola, Jordan and Germany also involved that Brown doesn’t expect any easy games.

African champions Angola are particularly tricky as they were arguably the best of the fifth seeds in last month’s draw.

“They are always dangerous,” Brown warned, “always somebody that you can’t take your eye off, always somebody that’s extremely athletic, that can score in the blink of an eye.

“History says you can’t overlook them.”
    Artificial Nature

Comment

...go boomers
      sigpicNEVER SAY DIE PILIPINAS!

Comment

Aussie bigman Aron Baynes doing fairly well in Lithuania. Here's an article 'bout him. http://www.lithuaniabasketball.com/n...provement.html
        You can follow me on twitter @LithuaniaBasket

Comment

AUS - 'Rejuvenated' Nielsen excited about representing Australia again

VALENCIA (2010 FIBA World Championship) - Matt Nielsen is "rejuvenated" and hungry to put on the Australia shirt again.

The power forward will play for the Boomers this summer when they compete at the FIBA World Championship in Turkey.

Nielsen, 32, competed at the last two Olympic Games and he had believed heading into the 2008 event in Beijing that it would be his swan song with the national team.

A funny thing happened.

Australia, soundly beaten in their opening two games, then won three straight to advance to the Quarter-Finals where eventual champions Team USA beat them.

The battling performance in China convinced Nielsen to continue with Australia.

“I'd thought I'd finished with the national team going into the (2008) Olympics, but because of the way we finished, we played so well down the stretch, it really inspired me to keep going,” he said to FIBA.com.

“I saw the talent that we have with these young guys. It's very exciting.”

He will therefore be in the squad when Brett Brown's team goes up against Argentina, Serbia, Germany, Angola and Jordan this summer in Preliminary Round Group A.

Australia will need a strong Nielsen, and the likes of Partizan Belgrade center Aleks Maric, to have a good tournament, something that is especially true with Andrew Bogut now an uncertainty after fracturing his hand last week while playing for Milwaukee in the NBA.

“Obviously this injury that Bogut received in the last week, that pretty much wipes him out,” Nielsen said.

“He's going to be a big loss because he was playing himself into being one of the top two or three centers in the NBA which is unbelievable. So he will be sorely missed.

“But I still think we have a lot of talented guys. Hopefully if we work this (Aleks) Maric situation out, he's going to be very important for as well.”

Maric, 25, has played for Australia at junior level but his parents hail from Serbia.

Serbian Basketball Federation president Dragan Kapicic said in December that Maric wants to represent the country.

Nielsen, who is on the books of Power Electronics Valencia in Spain's ACB and is gearing up for the Eurocup Final Four in Vitoria April 17-18, spoke to FIBA.com.

FIBA: Matt, what is your read on the Maric situation?

Matt Nielsen: History tells me that I don't know anything. I just wait and see how it pans out. I don't really understand the situation. I know he played for Australia in the juniors. I know he's an Australian boy. I don't understand how there is any kind of conversation. This is basketball and that's the way it goes. You have to live with it, but I don't understand how we even talk about it.

FIBA: Group A will be tough because in addition to Argentina, Serbia and Germany are African powerhouse Angola and Asia's third-place team last year, Jordan.

Matt Nielsen: "Obviously they are must-win games. That's the thing. I love basketball, I love my job. Since I was young, I wanted to represent my country and I wanted to go to an Olympic Games. That was my main focus. I haven't been to a World Championship before and I'm looking forward to going.

FIBA: Can Australia make an impact?

Matt Nielsen: I would love to be able to take a medal for Australia, that's always the goal, yet we have stiff competition in the rounds, but that's the way it goes. I feel really rejuvenated. I had a good rest last off-season and feel as good as I have in years, so it's good.

FIBA: Now the coach is not Brian Goorjian, the man that led Australia for several years, but Brett Brown. Goorjian had wanted to continue after the Olympics but Australia went with Brown. Did you have an opinion on that?

Matt Nielsen: Goorj did a great job for us, and I appreciated everything he did along the way. They just decided it was time for a change. I played for Brett for three years before in Sydney. I think he brings freshness and he's looking to enjoy the head job. He's got a great opportunity and will bring a lot of energy to it.

FIBA: Valencia seems to be the perfect place for an Australian because it's warm here and you have the sea. Do you enjoy living here?

Matt Nielsen: Valencia is nice. It's very similar to home. The adjustment isn't too bad. The family enjoys it.

And you took in Las Fallas recently and got to see some amazing fireworks and witness parades all week long?

Matt Nielsen: Las Fallas is great. It's very foreign. It's foreign to people in Madrid, but it's a very Valencian thing. This year we took it in and it was great.

Jeff Taylor
          FIBA
          Artificial Nature

Comment

"BOOMERS" News - Australia's National Team

Here's a thread to talk, analyse and debate about anything related to the Australian National Team - "The Boomers" especially towards the build up to the 2010 FIBA World Championships.
            "No hay poder en el mundo que pueda cambiar el destino"
            -El Padrino

Comment

Australia vs Argentina Friendly Series

Basketball Australia was able to secure a 3 games series against the highest ranked team in the world: Argentina.

The 3 games will be played in Perth, Adelaide and Melbourne. Thus, I am upset that non of the games will be played in Sydney. I would have gone to the game and would have worn my Argentinian Rugby Jersey - Los Pumas which, I'm very fond of.

This will be a great opportunity for basketball in Australia to have such a quality side to come and play a series of games against our national team.

Unfortunately, our NBA star will be missing however, we will be nicely equiped for the series. Besides, NBA players Houston Rockets' David Andersen, Minnesota Timberwolves' Nathan Jawai and Portland Trailblazers' Patty Mills we feature EuroCup Final MVP: Matty Nielsen who is ready to not only lead his team but possibly lead his team to medal contention something that he has been pushing for in the last 6 years or so.

Even if Argentina does not field all of their five NBA players, I am more than certain that Australia will have its hands full especially since so many of the Argentinean players play in the 2nd (Spain's ACB) and 4th (Italy's Lega A) best domestic league in the world.
              -El Padrino

Comment

I wouldn't count Argentina out for those three friendlies. Even without Bogut, Australia is a very powerful team. Nielsen is another defensive-minded player who can greab rebounds. Newley, Ingles, and Barlow can put points on the board and will keep the forward positions in check.

Frankly, I think the Boomers weakest link is their playmaker. I'm sure Patty Mills is a good player, but I don't know who else Australia has. Mills is quick, but can he put the ball in a position where the forwards can score? I don't know. If I'd seen him play a little more in Portland this year, maybe I'd know the answer, but as it is, I'm just not sure.
                "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Originally posted by mvblair View Post
                  Frankly, I think the Boomers weakest link is their playmaker. I'm sure Patty Mills is a good player, but I don't know who else Australia has. Mills is quick, but can he put the ball in a position where the forwards can score? I don't know. If I'd seen him play a little more in Portland this year, maybe I'd know the answer, but as it is, I'm just not sure.
                  That's why more than likely Patty Mills will probably be playing 40 to 45 mins per game.
                  -El Padrino

Comment

Originally posted by Saskibaloia View Post
                    That's why more than likely Patty Mills will probably be playing 40 to 45 mins per game.

How about CJ Bruton?.. he's a great PG and has been in the ANBL's mythical team for the last three years... did he retired from international basketball?...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by donmar View Post
                      How about CJ Bruton?.. he's a great PG and has been in the ANBL's mythical team for the last three years... did he retired from international basketball?...
                      The guy is getting old. He is still doing well in the NBL but he's not the same like he was back in 2006 and 2008.
                      -El Padrino

Comment

Originally posted by Saskibaloia View Post
                        The guy is getting old. He is still doing well in the NBL but he's not the same like he was back in 2006 and 2008.
                        I did notice that he is not as good as a year ago but still doing well in the league... old age is catching up..

sigpic

Comment

CJ Brutton is playing in Puerto Rico with Shawn Redhage!
                          Originally Posted by -K2- View Post
                          16 free throws in the last 4 minutes...
                          Puerto Rico had 20 the whole game

Seriosuly... someone quote this whole post and signature me... Greek Loby Rulz
                          8/29/2010...THE DAY WE GOT ROBBED!

Comment

Originally posted by PRSURF View Post
                            CJ Brutton is playing in Puerto Rico with Shawn Redhage!
                            That's good that those two players are playing in the Puerto Rican league because the Puerto Rican league, I assume is higher level than the Australian Basketball League thus, those two guys are maintaining their level or increasing it.
                            -El Padrino

Comment

AUS – Brown looks ahead to Boomers’ preparations for Turkey

SAN ANTONIO (2010 FIBA World Championship) - Australia coach Brett Brown can firmly focus on the Boomers’ preparations for the FIBA World Championship now that his season with the San Antonio Spurs has drawn to a close.

The Spurs were swept 4-0 in the NBA Western Conference semi-finals by Phoenix, allowing Brown, an assistant coach with San Antonio, to change hats and start thinking about this summer.
                              “I am excited to get our players and staff together next month to begin our journey to Istanbul,” Brown said.

“We respect and understand the road we must take in order to achieve something special on this highly competitive world stage.”

The Aussies, who will be in Group A in Kayseri, Turkey, with Argentina, Serbia, Germany, Angola and Jordan, will be at a training camp in Perth from June 20-24 before taking on the Argentinians in three games at the Boomers World Challenge.

On June 25, they will face the South Americans in Perth and then on the 27th, Brown’s men will play Argentina in Melbourne.

They will face Sergio Hernandez’s side one last time in the preparation period on the 29th in Adelaide.

Following a second training camp at The South Port School on the Gold Coast, Australia will fly to Liuzhou, China, to defend their Borislav Stankovic Cup title.

Opponents will be Slovenia (July 28), Iran (29) and China (31). The final will be played on August 1.

Australia will return home for a third training camp in Melbourne from August 7-13 before travelling to Lyon, France, for the Four Nations Tournament August 22-24.

The national sides Brown’s team will square off against in France will be the host nation, Ivory Coast and Brazil.

Australia’s first game at the FIBA World Championship will be on August 28 against Jordan.

“It’s vital for our World Championship preparations that we play quality opposition and fortunately Basketball Australia has been able to organize that,” Brown said.

“We’re excited about the Boomers’ international schedule for 2010.

“Every team we are going to play in the lead-up will also be at the World Championship.

“We will get the best possible chance to test ourselves before heading to Turkey.

“We’ve also been able to lock in appropriate training camps that will assist us as we look to bring together players who have been playing all over the world this past season.

“We particularly need to build team cohesion during this period.”
                              Artificial Nature

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information