No announcement yet.

Ivory Coast national team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope this kind of things not kill these group.
    I think the Ivory Cost has the potential to became next African Champion.

Comment

CIV – Kone still dreaming for Ivory Coast

VALENCIA (2011 Afrobasket) – Mo Kone beams with pride when he thinks about his last two summers wearing the Ivory Coast jersey.

And why not?

This was a team that surprised nearly everyone by reaching the Afrobasket Final in Libya and qualifying for the 2010 FIBA World Championship.

In Turkey, Ivory Coast was the team, remember, that suffered narrow defeats to China (83-73) and Russia (72-66).

It was a side that took part in one of the more bizarre games at the 24-team event, beating Puerto Rico in their last Group C game, 88-79, to deny the FIBA Americas outfit a place in the next round.

When Kone dunked in the last minute for an 88-76 lead, Ivory Coast had the advantage they needed to advance to the Eight-Finals.

But David Huertas of Puerto Rico spoiled the celebrations by making a three-pointer in the waning seconds to reduce the margin of Ivory Coast’s victory.

As it was, the nine-point win allowed China to claim fourth place in the group instead.

There was disappointment that day for Kone and his teammates because they did not move on, but several months later and there is no regret.

There is only satisfaction.

"It was my first World Championship and a great experience," Kone said to FIBA.com.

"We played against the best players from around the world.

“It was my first one, like a dream, because I used to watch it on TV as a kid.

"To have a chance to experience this was a great feeling.”

Kone, who was speaking after playing an ACB game for Lagun Aro GBC at Power Electronics Valencia on Sunday, said: "Many people didn't expect us to play as well as we did.

"We had big losses to Turkey and Greece, but we had a our chances.

"It was a good experience and next time when we go back, I think we'll do a better job.”

By playing as well as they did the last two summers, Ivory Coast won a lot of fans back home and served as inspiration.

"A lot of young Ivorians gained interest in our team,” Kone said.

"The organization in the country isn't that good, and players are in Europe or the United States.

"But more and more young players are gaining interest and I hope that in the future, it's going to be better players, talented players in the national team.”

Unfortunately for Kone and his Ivory Coast teammates, there are issues that they can’t control on the basketball court that will determine the future of the national side.

Where is the Afrobasket going to be?

"I don't know,” Kone said.

“I heard Morocco.

“I heard Madagascar and I heard Angola.

“I'm not sure where the Afrobasket will be.”

There is also the question of internal strife in Ivory Coast.

"I'm going to play, although there is a tough situation in my country right now politically,” Kone said.

"We don't know who is going to be the Minister of Sport and what's going to happen, but that will have an impact.

"We're waiting. Everyone in the team wants to play.”

If Ivory Coast are able to play and enjoy good preparations, they’ll be thinking about one thing and that is dethroning African champions Angola.

"I think we've got a good team,” Kone said.

“Angola I think respects us now.

“We got to the Final of the 2009 Afrobasket so we get their respect.

"We have a good team. I think we've got a better team.”

Should Ivory Coast beat Angola, they would book their place in the Olympics.

"Ah, it would be great,” Kone said.

“That would be a dream, too. It's what you watch on TV. I hope we make it.”

For now, Kone, who played college basketball in America at Southern Idaho and then Valparaiso before moving to Europe and competing in France, Turkey and Spain, is concentrating on his career in the ACB.

"I'm happy here,” he said.

“It's a great league, the best in Europe.”
      Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
      Artificial Nature

Comment

Thanks for posting this article, Rik. I wish they wrote a little more about Kone's thoughts on the political situation. I'm sure Kone talked a lot about what's happening as far as the election's legitimacy, but it wasn't published. Well, I guess FIBA tries to stay apolitical for the most part and maybe Kone didn't want to speculate...
        "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Any news on Errick Craven? Any chance he will play again for Ivory Coast? If I remember correctly, Craven last suited up for Ivory Coast back in 2009.
          Sacramento Kings
          HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Some news about the Elephants:

FIBB-president More Koise is in exile in Ghana and his mandate finished 24th of March. Vice-president Emmanuel Amichia is currently running things despite no elections has been taking place due to the refusal by some of the clubs presidents (ASEC and ABC). With no president-election and a president, there will be no money coming from the government (no preparation, no players...)...let's see what happens next in Abidjan...

I from Wisconsin!
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca6O8FR0rbQ

TO SYNTHESIZER WE ARE A BIG TEAM

Comment

Carlos Almeida of Angola has a good impression for Côte d'Ivoire. Almeida was quoted by the Africa Star:

"In the last times some contenders to the African title came about, such as Cameroon and Tunisia, who joined traditional contenders like Mali, Senegal, Egypt and Nigeria. But now the main contender to dethrone Angola seems to be Côte d'Ivoire. "So, after the good performance in Libya 2009, Côte d'Ivoire decided to organise the competition this year to increase the chances to win"
              Sacramento Kings

Comment

Pape-Phillippe Amagou wont play for the national-team for personal reasons (family).

I from Wisconsin!
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca6O8FR0rbQ

TO SYNTHESIZER WE ARE A BIG TEAM

Comment

CIV – Ivory Coast will be ready next time

VALENCIA (Afrobasket) - There is regret, but also pride in the voice of Mo Kone when the Ivory Coast big man is asked about this summer's Afrobasket.

The Lucentum Alicante center regrets that his talented national team wasn't able to have the ideal preparations for a tournament that was moved from in his homeland due to political problems and ultimately relocated to Madagascar.

They finished fourth – one place out of the FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament.

The pride is evident, however, when Kone talks about how in extraordinary circumstances, the Ivory Coast players still bonded and put a very good team on the floor.

"It was a good experience and we made it far," Kone said to FIBA.com over the weekend after Alicante's win at Valencia in Spain's Liga Endesa.

"No one expected us to make it that far because of the preparation time, it was a little bit short for us."

Ivory Coast nearly made it to the Final but lost to eventual champions Tunisia by just three points.

Nigeria then beat Kone and Co in the bronze-medal game.

Disruptions in the build-up

Organizational issues have plagued many Afrobasket teams over the years.

In a sense, chaotic build-ups to the tournament are not the exception but rather the norm.

It was particularly difficult for Ivory Coast this time.

"Some players got to join us during the tournament," Kone said.

"So our preparation, our pre-season, (actually) started at the Afrobasket."

Ivory Coast had won the silver at Afrobasket 2009 and Tunisia bronze.

Both teams then competed at the 2010 FIBA World Championship and Ivory Coast had one foot in the Eight-Finals before Puerto Rico hit a three-pointer at the buzzer, a shot that allowed China to go advance on a goal differential tie-breaker.

But Tunisia followed that experience up with a great build-up to the Afrobasket while Ivory Coast did not.

"Tunisia was a great team," Kone said.

"They have known each other for a long time.

"They had the long preparations, very organized - it was logical they won."

More to offer

What fills Kone with regret is that he knows his team can offer so much more.

"It hurt," he admitted, "but we've got to work.

"I know next year, our government is going to take it serious, the people that take care of the sport, because they know we have a lot of talent. All we have to do is get together at the same time and we can have a great preparation and have a great team."

But players actually showing up and joining Ivory Coast during the Afrobasket?

"It's just the organization," Kone said.

"But I don't want to criticize anyone."

When asked if it was hard for those late-arriving players to adapt to the team and tactics, Kone answered: “We played with each other in 2009 and 2010 so it's the same guys and we know each other and how each other plays.

"We just had to adapt to the new coach and the new system.

"That was the only problem."

Late arrivals makes life difficult for both the players, and the coach, Kone said.

"Some players don't know the coach's mentality," he said.

"We had had a Swiss coach, then a Spanish coach. So we had to adapt to him and the Spanish coach - some players had different levels. Some play pro, some don't."

But Kone has remained upbeat about the Ivory Coast and what they can achieve.

"Yes, I have hope," he said.

"We didn't make the Olympics.

"But at the next African Championship, it's going to be in our home, I hope.

"We'll be better prepared. We're ready for that, and the people will be ready for that."

What is not uncertain is Kone's commitment to the national team.

"I always want to come and play for my country," he said.

"Everyone wants to represent their country.

"I was tired and came with some little injuries, but it's always a great feeling for me to come and be with my national team."
                  -FIBA-Afrique
                  Sacramento Kings

Comment

CIV - Denis wants Elephants to revisit past glories

PARIS (Afrobasket/FIBA Basketball World Cup) - The Ivory Coast have turned to a familiar name in an attempt to return to the summit of African basketball.

Paris Levallois coach Christophe Denis, whose father was on the technical staff 26 years ago, has been put in charge.

The Ivory Coast last won an Afrobasket title in 1985 with an 84-73 triumph over Angola.

Four years before, they dominated the tournament in Somalia and beat Egypt in the gold-medal game, 81-65.

Ivory Coast also have three silver medals (1978, 1980 and 2009) in their history.

Denis believes another Afrobasket title is long overdue.

"Ivory Coast players need to get what they deserve, which is winning the Afrobasket," the 39-year-old Denis said to FIBA.com.

"Qualifying for the 2014 World Cup in Spain is equally one of our objectives."

Indeed.

With the country hosting Afrobasket 2013, the federation and Denis are thinking about one result and one result only.

They're thinking about the championship, and qualifying for the first FIBA Basketball World Cup in Spain.

Spanish coach Natxo Lezcano led the Elephants to a fourth-place finish at Afrobasket 2011 Semi-Final in Madagascar last year, one spot outside the FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament spots.

Nigeria beat Lezcano's side, 76-69, in the bronze-medal game.

They and Angola will represent Africa in Caracas, Venezuela, for the 12-team OQT, where three places for the London Games will be on offer.

The Ivory Coast federation ultimately decided not to extend Lezcano's contract and were successful in bringing Denis to the helm.

Raising eyebrows

To bring success to Abidjan is very important to Denis, who lived in the country from the age of two to 13 while his dad, Francis Denis, coached there.

Christophe Denis calls the African nation "my second country."

"For sure, what we want as the host nation is to win the tournament (Afrobasket)," Denis said.

"This is our goal."

There are reasons to believe he will bring desired results.

Denis is the head coach of French side Paris Levallois in the Ligue Nationale de Basket and the team is sixth in the standings.

"We (Paris) will seek to go as far as we are allowed to (in the post-season)," he said.

"We don't want to win only one game in the play-offs.

"We want more than that."

Aware of his past links with the country, the Ivory Coast became interested in hiring him.

The federation's vice president, former international Arsene Ade Mensah, approached Denis after watching Paris play.

Mensah and Denis have known each other from their days as players on the same Antibes junior team.

This summer

Despite having his mind on matters in France right now, Denis admits he has one eye on his national team job.

He says that he already has a plan to start his Ivorian mission.

In June, the national team will have a four-week training camp, during which two weeks will be spent in France and some days in Tunisia - the home of the Afrobasket 2011 champions.

Ivory Coast will play a warm-up game against France's national team in Paris in late June and around that time, Ivory Coast also expect to go up against Angola.

Denis expects to have a lot of talent at his disposal.

First of all, he says he plans to see "players of great potential and quality."

"I know there are plenty of them playing in Europe such as Mouloukou Diabate, Mohamed Kone, Pape Philippe-Amagou," he said.

"I know there are few more in the USA."

Developing a winning mentality

"Being talented is not enough," he said.

"One needs a big heart and sacrifice in order to win games, and this is what we will be working on.

"They had fantastic results in previous editions of the Afrobasket without having adequate preparation time. This gives us hope.

"If we work well and in time, I am sure we will do even better.

"We need to focus on motivating our players. As the host nation, we will do our best to win Afrobasket 2013."

As for how long Denis runs the team, he said: "Initially, I have signed a contract for the Afrobasket and to qualify the team to Spain 2014.

"As the federation wants to keep consistency in the coaching staff, we may stay longer."

Denis is thrilled to be in charge of the national team.

"This is a symbolic moment in my coaching career," he said.

"It is an honor to coach my second country.

"My father was one of the coaches along with Alphonse Bile in the African Championship 1985."

Ivory Coast are 37th in the FIBA World Rankings, just below Senegal, and fourth in Africa rankings.

Angola are top, followed by Nigeria.
                    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
                    Artificial Nature

Comment

Will Herve Lamizana play the 2013 FIBA Africa Championships?

Comment

Originally posted by zonglin View Post
                        Will Herve Lamizana play the 2013 FIBA Africa Championships?
                        Preliminary squad for Afrobasket 2013:

http://www.fibb-ci.com/index.php?opt...non-categorise

The Elephants are training in Palencia, Spain at the moment, under Spanish coach Ignacio Lezcano.
                        Last edited by sixama23; 07-06-2013, 05:07 AM.

Comment

Ivory Coast NT final roster:

Solo Diabaté
                          Michael Toti
                          Pape Amagou
                          Stephane Konaté
                          Ismael N'Diaye (Captain)
                          Guy Landry Edi
                          Charles Abouo
                          Issife Soumahoro
                          Jonathan Kale
                          Zerbo Frejus
                          Hervé Lamizana
                          Mohamed Koné

Source: Ivoirebasket's Facebook Page

Comment

Ivory Coast is facing Benin in a home-away series on 7-8 February. The winner of the series will qualify for Afrobasket 2015.

Coach Tea Olivier has recently announced the preliminary roster for the Afrobasket qualifiers:

Gbotto Pierre Célestin (ABC)
                            Kouakou N'dri Ange (Génération)
                            Cédric Kouadio (JCA)
                            Affi Anderson (ABC)
                            Konaté Stéphane (ABC)
                            Oka Kévin (AZUR)
                            Mohamed Karaboué (AZUR)
                            Agolé Stéphane (SOA)
                            Oulai Kehasson (ABC)
                            Amara Kamaté (JCA)
                            Kraka Serge (ABC)
                            Kuo Sahie Ange (AZUR)
                            Pohoulouhou Serge (STADE)
                            Kassoum Coulibaly (IVESTP)
                            Cissé Moussa (SOA)
                            Allou Jourdain (Egypte)
                            Bah Cédric (France)
                            Hima Seydou (Italie)
                            Zerbo Fréjus (France)

Comment

NT for the road to Tunisia, Afrobasket2015

Serge Kraka
                              Yann Emmanuel Oulaii
                              Anderson Affi
                              Jordan Karaboué
                              Ange Nantihyé Kouakou N'Dri
                              Asselain Serge
                              Alassane Meite
                              Amara Kamaté
                              Venceslas Kevin N'goran Oka
                              Bohoui Pierre Celestin Gbotto
                              Stéphane Konaté
                              Stephane Agole
                              Sacramento Kings

Comment

Two players from overseas, Tape Eric (France) and Allou Arnold Jourdain (Egypt) have been added to the roster, the Ivorians will travel with 14 players to Benin. The team will departure from Abidjan on 05/02.

This is the official list, as announced by coach Tea Olivier:

Gbotto Pierre Celestin (ABC)
                                Kouakou N’Dri Ange (Génération)
                                Affi Anderson (Capitaine) (ABC)
                                Konaté Stephane (ABC)
                                Oka Kevin (Azur)
                                Karaboué A. (Azur)
                                Agolé Stephane (SOA)
                                Oulai Kehasson (ABC)
                                Amara Kamaté (JCA)
                                Kraka Serge (ABC)
                                Kuo Sahie Ange (Azur)
                                Pohoulouhou Serge (Stade)
                                Tape Eric (Fecamp Basket France)
                                Allou Arnold Jourdain (Tanta Club Egypt)

Source

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information