Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Mayweather: That will be "SHOWDOWN"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Mayweather: That will be "SHOWDOWN"

Present number 1 boxer versus former number 1 boxer, Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. . They doesn't fight each other but look at their skills. Both are have speed, smarter and quicker. Pacquiao have power with perfect hitting. Mayweather is taller and longer reach with defensive minded. And their comparison results previously of both fighters:

Pacquiao def. KO2 Hatton
    Mayweather def. KO10 Hatton
    Pacquiao def. TKO8 Dela Hoya
    Mayweather def. UD12 Dela Hoya
    Pacquiao def. UD12 Marquez - Marquez down once
    Mayweather def. Marquez - Marquez down once

First things first, let's settle the score with Cotto then discuss this

But of course, this SHOULD happen. Too much money at stake for it not to happen.
    If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Comment

if packy wins against cotto..he'll have a hard time beating mayweather..but mayweather's defense will collapse against packy..once packy lands a punch on mayweather's arms/shoulder defense it will hurt for sure..that defense will be useless on the later rounds..and packy will win in the end..coz heroes win in the end..hahaha

Comment

Yeah lets wait until the Paquiao-Cotto fight ends before we talk about the inevitable downfall of Mayweather Jr.

Heck, the Pacquiao-Mayweather Sr. (PacMan suing the Sore Loser!) have better chance to actually happening than the Pacquiao-Mayweather Jr. fight...

Hopefully, all those politics and showbiz that keeps the PacMan from early preparation doesn't affect his performance against Cotto..

sigpic

Comment

on my POV...

disregarding the Pacquiao-Cotto fight this early..

PacMan will win against Mayweather if they will fight at 140 lbs below..
          It's ironic to see limited efforts from players with maximum salary.
          I wish they would apply "sabermetrics" in those financially challenged PBA teams to acquire players who are value for their money.

Comment

Honestly, i don't know how Pacquiao can penetrate Mayweather's defense. Even Marquez had little success.
            http://theprodigy7.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by flipballa7 View Post
              Honestly, i don't know how Pacquiao can penetrate Mayweather's defense. Even Marquez had little success.
              Agree... if they will have the fight now... PacMan will loss the fight.. but with proper preparation, no disruption from Philippine politics and showbiz, I'm sure Pacquiao can beat Mayweather Jr. and shut Mayweather Sr.

sigpic

Comment

Ring Magazine has decided: Pacquiao is still the number one pound for pound boxer in the planet
                For Period Ended September 20, 2009
                POUND-FOR-POUND Top 10
                1. MANNY PACQUIAO
                JUNIOR WELTERWEIGHT
                2. FLOYD MAYWEATHER
                WELTERWEIGHT
                3. SHANE MOSLEY
                WELTERWEIGHT
                4. BERNARD HOPKINS
                LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT
                5. JUAN MANUEL MARQUEZ
                LIGHTWEIGHT
                6. ISRAEL VAZQUEZ
                FEATHERWEIGHT
                7. RAFAEL MARQUEZ
                FEATHERWEIGHT
                8. NONITO DONAIRE
                JUNIOR BANTAMWEIGHT
                9. MIGUEL COTTO
                WELTERWEIGHT
                10. CELESTINO CABALLERO
                JUNIOR FEATHERWEIGHT.
                If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Comment

marquez has penetrated mayweather's defense a lot of times during the match but he doesn't have power, and that's it, he just gained weight eating fresh quail eggs and drinking his own yellow juice

JMM has reduced his usual hand speed, and hasn't gained the power for the welterweight.

there was no pressure and mayweather was very comfortable weighing 4 lbs heavier than his smaller opponent.

if Pacquiao and mayweather will meet at 140 lbs, I do believe Pacquiao has the upper hand. But knowing Mayweather, who always plays safe, I bet he won't allow a fight at 140 lbs to happen, he's always in denial, he might say that the purse will be the reason why he won't accept a mega-fight against Pacquiao at 140 lbs.
                  It's ironic to see limited efforts from players with maximum salary.
                  I wish they would apply "sabermetrics" in those financially challenged PBA teams to acquire players who are value for their money.

Comment

Pacquiao downed Cotto twice and the referee stopped in 12th round victory for Pacquiao. And then now waiting for Mayweather!

Comment

Originally posted by donmar View Post
                      Agree... if they will have the fight now... PacMan will loss the fight.. but with proper preparation, no disruption from Philippine politics and showbiz, I'm sure Pacquiao can beat Mayweather Jr. and shut Mayweather Sr.
                      Hopefully, his superstar celebrity status in the Philippines won't hurt him in the future. Could you imagine how much personal time he will have for himself and his family once he returns to the Philippines. Politicians, other celebrities, people from all walks of life will be in his face. There will be people in the Philippines that will take advantage of his fame. Pacman needs to concentrate on his next fight with Mayweather. But a least Roach will surely put Manny in line if needed. Well, my BIG CONGRADS to THE PACMAN!
                      There is no doubt in my mind he will become one of the greatest boxing legend af all times!

Comment

Last two man standing the only 2 boxer left...

Last two man standing the only 2 boxers left...2 of the most pound for pound king in the boxing arena today... this 2 boxer Manny and Floyd must see action next year...and ask who is the best fighter stand in the world... if this 2 fighter fight other boxers it's gonna be a non-bearing fight because they are top 2 contenders and match the power and status in boxing today... so why this 2 boxers cannot meet? sharing can be talk...

As of Saturday night, can anyone think of a single reason why Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao shouldn’t fight?

It kind of seems silly at first. Of course, there has to be some minor, highly insignificant, but ultimately negative thing about the two fighting one another.

But then really think about it. Is there?

Floyd Mayweather Sr. says there is. But he’s not telling anybody.

“Lil Floyd would whoop (him), but to tell you the truth, I don’t think he should fight him,” Mayweather Sr. said. “That would be my advice to him.”

If he’d have no problem beating him though, then why not take the fight?

“I have my own reasons,” he said. “I’ll let you think about it for a second.”

Whatever Mayweather Sr.’s reasons are, chances are they’d have a hard time stacking up against the reasons for why the two should meet in the ring in early 2010.

As Pacquiao’s trainer, Freddie Roach, described it, it’s a fight the world wants to see. Moments after Pacquiao’s historic win over Miguel Cotto for his world title in a seventh weight class, fans from inside the MGM Grand Garden Arena started chanting, "We want Floyd."

Roach says that he’ll take whatever fight is the best deal for Pacquiao, but his pick is Mayweather.

“We’ll fight whoever we negotiate with the best. If Floyd wants a 65/35 split, he’s not going to get that,” Roach said. “We’ll take the best deal that Bob negotiates for, but personally, I want Mayweather.”

Back in September, following Mayweather’s unanimous decision win over Juan Manuel Marquez, his manager and close friend Leonard Ellerbe said that Pacquiao was the next obvious choice from a marketing standpoint.

That much is especially obvious, as the Mayweather and Pacquiao fights — although Saturday’s numbers aren't official, it’s certainly a reasonable assumption — marked the first time since 1999 that a single calendar year sold two pay-per-view fights that reached more than 1 million viewers each.

As Vice President of HBO Sports Operations Mark Taffet will enthusiastically attest, they are obviously the two most marketable fighters in the world.

“The two fighters’ persona and performance in the ring separates them from the pack,” Taffet said. “From a media aspect, they compliment each other. Pacquiao receives a tremendous following from the West and Southwest markets, whereas in Mayweather we see a lot of Midwest and East Coast activity.

“They are two megastars but to very different target audiences, which is what makes it almost a perfect storm from a marketing perspective.”

Even their styles are tailor-made for one another.

Pacquiao (50-3-2, 38 KO) is the aggressor, who has shown a willingness to take a punch to give one, as well as a constant desire to finish fights even when he’s well ahead on a scorecard.

Mayweather (40-0, 25 KO) is the tactical defender, whose elusive ability is often referred to as poetry in motion; always the type of fighter that looks to score points and attend a post-fight press conference free of damage.

The trainer in Roach says he has the blueprint to defeat Mayweather — something the undefeated boxer is constantly asserting doesn’t exist.

“We’d break him down and beat him up,” Roach said. “Floyd can’t break an egg; he’s fragile. He hurts his hands all the time. He has speed, but if he lays on the ropes and rolls his shoulders, we’ll take everything he gives us.

“I have a great game plan for Mayweather, and I know how to beat the guy.”

Mayweather Sr., on the other hand, remains unimpressed by the Filipino and the wins he has over opponents that aren’t on the same level as his son.

“We ain’t worried about that fight. Tell me where you see a 5-foot-5 (expletive) hitting someone who’s just standing right in front of him,” said Mayweather Sr., referring to the Cotto fight. “That’s what we saw tonight.

“He hasn’t fought the greatest fighter yet. That might be his next task, but I don’t know.”

One person who doesn’t care about Mayweather Sr.’s withheld reasons for the two not to fight is HBO President of Sports Ross Greenburg, who was already in the media center arguing with Mayweather Sr. on the subject immediately following Saturday’s fight.

Before any of the fighters had arrived for questioning, Greenburg was heard saying to Mayweather Sr. that he knew the fight should happen and that it was time to make it happen.

“I don’t want to say it’s just a question of money,” Grennburg said. “When you have a situation where you’ve created two big events in the last three months, basically to set up a semifinals in the 147-pound weight class, and the American public demands to see the fight it has to happen.

“And the way it happens is to induce all sides by getting everyone to check their egos at the door, sit down at a table and hash out the terms. Each side has to look at the big picture, which is there is a boat-load of money and a fight too important for this sport not to happen.”

Top Rank CEO Bob Arum, who promoted Mayweather until the fighter bought out his contract in 2006 because of a falling out, confessed that even he was more than willing to put their differences aside to make the fight.

“I’m not going to put up with any kind of nonsense — no trash talk, I’m not going to negotiate a fight in newspapers,” Arum said. “If Floyd Mayweather wants to fight Manny Pacquiao, he knows who to call. Period.

“There will be none of this, ‘I hate him, he hates me,’ — that doesn’t matter. If he wants to fight, let him call me.”

According to Greenburg, that was news Mayweather didn’t need to hear.

Right before Pacquiao emerged from his final medical checks in his locker room, Greenburg walked to the microphone to deliver news.

“I just got off the phone with (Golden Boys Promotions CEO) Richard Schaeffer,” Greenburg said. “He told me point-blank that Bob Arum would be getting that call on Monday and plans to come in and meet with Bob next to week to make the Mayweather fight.

“I think we can all hope and pray that a fight of that magnitude and importance to the sport of boxing can truly be made, because it is time to capitalize on all the hard work that was done over the last three months. We can look forward to one of the biggest events in boxing history. Let’s see what happens, stay tuned.”
                        Last edited by donspark47; 11-18-2009, 02:07 AM.

Comment

50 - 50 is equal for everybody... Manny and Floyd must see this.. they are both pound for pound king... they are the best... floyd must slowdown his demands... because in actual weighing of status Manny Pacquiao has a big value than Floyd...why? because MP have 7 different division belt and has a record of 50 wins 3 losses and 38 K.O. while FM has 40 wins 0 losses 25 K.O.

Comment

excuses of Floyd... floyd demand 65-35? you are so unrealistic...what do you think of Manny Pacquiao a rising star? and you are the king of boxing arena... Manny Pacquiao gets 7 different division belts and has a record of 55 fights 50 wins 3 losses 2 draw - 38 K.O. and you floyd only 40 fights 40 win 0 losses - 25 K.O. yah... 0 losses... but in terms of value Manny is quit advantage than Floyd in terms of Boxing status... So give this a 50 -50 and fight for the last dance in the boxing arena... excuses...excuses...

Pacman has the right to demand 60-40...not you Floyd...

Comment

Freddie Roach said...

Grandiose pronouncements were uttered about when and where negotiations would begin for a proposed fight between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Boxing insiders were speculating about the contentiousness and hostility those talks would breed.

Freddie Roach, Pacquiao’s trainer, avoided the conjecture.

He was already getting down to the nitty-gritty.

“The whole world wants to see the Mayweather fight,” Roach said after Pacquiao stopped Miguel Cotto in a dominating performance Saturday night at the MGM Grand. “Let’s fight Mayweather.”

The framework has been created for the potential 2010 showdown. In one corner, there’s Pacquiao, the speedy and explosive southpaw with his own particular brand of genius for launching punches from ungodly angles. In the other, there’s Mayweather, the tactical virtuoso and modern-day Sugar Ray Robinson, Willie Pep or Pernell Whitaker — depending on who’s making the comparison.

Roach sees it in simpler terms. If Pacquiao-Cotto was speed against power, then Pacquiao-Mayweather is exciting against boring, scintillating against sleep-inducing.

“You’ve got an exciting fighter in my guy against a boring guy in Mayweather,” Roach said. “That’s what we’ll have to do to beat him. Engage him.”

Mayweather Jr. wasn’t around Saturday night, so it was up to Floyd Mayweather Sr., who assisted in his son’s preparations for his most recent fight, against Juan Manuel Marquez, to address the Pacquiao bout.

Big Floyd did not disappoint: Cotto was not “the Cotto of old” Saturday, he said. His son would beat Pacquiao in a breeze, and the fight is hardly worth taking. In fact, a more competitive matchup would pit Floyd Sr. himself, age 57, against Pacquiao.

Informed of his comments, Roach responded with an obscenity.

Ah, Freddie Roach mixing it up with the Mayweather Bunch. This will be the gift that keeps on giving. Abundantly.

•••

Here’s a telling illustration of the complete control Pacquiao exerted over Cotto: With the give-and-take between the two men in the first three rounds, the fight had the makings of a classic. But it turns out Pacquiao, temporarily going rogue against the game plan he and Roach had developed, had made a conscious decision to test the limits of Cotto’s power.

“I wanted to get hit,” Pacquiao (50-3-2, 38 knockouts) said. “When I started controlling the fight, I got aggressive and made more pressure.”

By the middle rounds, Pacquiao was battering Cotto (34-2) with shots he did not see coming.

A dazed Cotto spent much of the seventh and eighth rounds reeling backward in the ring.

Referee Kenny Bayless halted the fight 55 seconds into Round 12. Roach said if he had been running Cotto’s corner, he would have thrown in the towel in the ninth round, during which Cotto was spitting blood.

After earning a title in his seventh weight class, Pacquiao said the welterweight division is as high as he expects to go.

“This is the last weight division I am going to fight,” he said. “I am pretty sure the Filipino fans are very happy for the victory I have given them.”

•••

Top Rank chairman Bob Arum, the promoter of the fight, has spoken of a renaissance in boxing’s popularity in recent years and the role Pacquiao has played in it.

Roach, who has trained Pacquiao for eight years, said he doesn’t have the luxury of stepping back and looking at the big picture.

“I’m too caught up in the day-to-day,” Roach said. “I just do what I like to do. I like my job. That’s why I train mixed martial arts guys with no fear. I like training them, too. If you want to be a better fighter, no matter what sport it is, I’ll do it. I think there’s room for all sports and a good fight is a good fight.”

Arum, for his part, warned against reading too much into any theory about a “rebirth” of boxing.

“Don’t be defensive,” he said. “Boxing never left. People realize now what a great sport it is and what enthusiasm there is and always has been for the sport.”

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information