Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PBA players multi million salary...

Quote Originally Posted by CoJ View Post
    you can't its unconstitutional....

well, you can't have national athletes paid more since it would drain the national funds...

Businessmen supports national sports program for taxbreaks...
    ah ok..

How they were able to lower the maximum salary from 500K to 350K?

Quote Originally Posted by Cloner View Post
    ah ok..

that would have to be debated by the PBA board and the Players union via a CBA (collective bargaining agreement) bro....so it is possible,

but it is not retroactive
    sana MERALCO ka nalang, para sobra sobra ka kung magmahal!

I agree..forgot to mention the love for the game, but usually, looking at the behavior of these kids, money trumps love..(which is sad)
    In this economy and in this world? Money is what makes the world go 'round. And no, sports is not an exemption.

It would be nice to see that we have pure athletes that just want to play the game because they "love" it but it's not just happening. You got have a little of both to motivate these athletes.
    If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

you can't its unconstitutional....

well, you can't have national athletes paid more since it would drain the national funds...

Businessmen supports national sports program for taxbreaks...
    why is it unconstitutional? ever heard of demotion?
    pls enlighten me on this

Quote Originally Posted by alien space bats View Post
    why is it unconstitutional? ever heard of demotion?
    pls enlighten me on this
    I assume that the poster was asking whether or not the government could impose a law that would impose a salary cap or impose a lower salary, this is highlighted in Article XII or Article XIIIof the constitution (the only thing that the government can do is impose a minimum salary..

But the league can lower its maximum salary via the CBA

Remember we are a democratic country with a free market, the government can't impose its will on the economic realm

that would have to be debated by the PBA board and the Players union via a CBA (collective bargaining agreement) bro....so it is possible,

but it is not retroactive

there is no existing Union for the PBA players.
    LABAN KUNG LABAN! KAYA NATIN PILIPINAS!
    Mabuhay ang TEAM PILIPINAS !!!!

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
    THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cloner View Post
    ah ok..

But please note that the PBA could only impose the changes to maximum allowed salary with regards to new contracts as the on-going contracts could not be altered. That's why Duremdes enjoyed a 500 thousand pesos monthly salary upto last year because his player contract was still valid.

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
    THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

I don't think the professional league (PBA) is detrimental to the Philippines being a powerhouse again in Asia, but the individuals running it should be the one's to blame...

In the end of the day, you have to realize that most of these players are playing the game not for country, but for a big pay day (this is their initial motivation).....
    It is not totally the people who runs the PBA that are to be blamed, because some of the players and the people who handle them has already become too greedy. A number of them ask for a lot of money even if they are not worth it. Then there are those who are already over the hill but does not agree to pay cuts. There are even players who demands additional compensation if they'll play for the National Team.

I know of a certain contract which has so many incentive clauses that makes the team pays the player certain bonuses for individual achievements and statistics. That is why said player either hogs the ball or the coach makes the plays center on this particular player. Then when good players were added to the team, he demanded either he be traded or the other players get out as it would affect his bonus scheme and the commission of his agent (his father -in-law) is also affected.

But if the PBA is really serious with the salary cup then it should not act as mere guide and they should institute a sanction or penalty if such a thing is violated just like the Luxury Tax in the NBA. What we have now is that the PBA is only reactive if a violation is found out, it's a case-to-case basis. I remember it is only after Tanduay left the league that it was found out from the players (Hawkins, Gayoso, etc) that aside from the PBA Uniform Player's Contract there was a separate 2nd contract. Upto today the PBA has not instituted a system to monitor or verify the contracts entered between the teams and the players. I know of some present players bragging that they currently have 2nd contracts so that's why some other players are also trying to ask if they can have the same. It's hard to explain that it is not allowed but it is being practiced Well that's already beyond me.
    Last edited by nardy; 09-16-2009 at 03:39 AM.

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
    THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

^^

greed begets greed.

Quote Originally Posted by alien space bats View Post
    ^^

greed begets greed.
    sometimes, money talks

Riley, Spoelstra taking cuts in salary

MIAMI (AP)—Miami Heat basketball operations employees have accepted up to a 20 percent pay cut in order to avoid layoffs.

The cuts affect everyone in the department, including team president Pat Riley, head coach Erik Spoelstra, assistant coaches, scouts and others. The South Florida Sun-Sentinel first reported the salary reduction in its Tuesday editions.

Player salaries are not being affected.

The Heat laid off 20 members of its business operations staff in May as a result of the economic downturn. In 2003, the franchise asked employees to accept 10 percent pay cuts because of falling revenues.

Lower ticket prices and scaled-back sponsorship deals have decreased revenue around the NBA, which is projecting further reductions over the coming year.

James Yap earning ph350k + incentive package from the PBA while Kris Aquino earning more or less ph 7-8M a month from abs-cbn...huhuhu...

sadly , we may never earn that kind of amount in our lifetime....P 7 million. awww

Quote Originally Posted by manu_bol View Post
    Riley, Spoelstra taking cuts in salary

MIAMI (AP)—Miami Heat basketball operations employees have accepted up to a 20 percent pay cut in order to avoid layoffs.

The cuts affect everyone in the department, including team president Pat Riley, head coach Erik Spoelstra, assistant coaches, scouts and others. The South Florida Sun-Sentinel first reported the salary reduction in its Tuesday editions.

Player salaries are not being affected.

The Heat laid off 20 members of its business operations staff in May as a result of the economic downturn. In 2003, the franchise asked employees to accept 10 percent pay cuts because of falling revenues.

Lower ticket prices and scaled-back sponsorship deals have decreased revenue around the NBA, which is projecting further reductions over the coming year.
    I wonder if we would hear our PBA team owners and players say this in the near future

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
    THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nardy View Post
    I wonder if we would hear our PBA team owners and players say this in the near future
    try asking that to Marlou Aquino hehehehe

I am waiting for the day that PBA players would be traded because of their huge expiring salaries (ALA NBA)

try asking that to Marlou Aquino hehehehe

I am waiting for the day that PBA players would be traded because of their huge expiring salaries (ALA NBA)
    That has actually been happening year in and and year out now.
    If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Quote Originally Posted by durden_tyler View Post
    That has actually been happening year in and and year out now.
    oic, I thought most of the trades were done without logic (Arwind Trade etc)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123