PBA players multi million salary...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by durden_tyler View Post
    From hatred to downright stupidity. You are turning these boards into a pseudoPExboards. You do not deserve to be here.

It's one thing to show support for other teams but this? You are provoking posters clearly. i have so much respect for the mods here and hopefully they do the right thing.
    To dismiss the PBA as simply an entertainment venture that does not contribute to the sport is very insulting to the fans of the PBA.

It's like he's saying that we cannot discern good basketball from lousy entertainment, that we just swallow what the PBA dishes out. Of course not. That is why we have a forum with numerous threads on how to improve the league.

Comment

Originally posted by alien space bats View Post
      PBA and its corporate arms pay overly fat paychecks to pseudo-athletes. A PBA player is first and foremost an entertainer like andrew e. or charise pempengco or a globetrotter. how i wish the philippines will have real athletes like those of china. anyway, i have a suggestion to the PBA. Since it is all about entertainment, why not lower the basketball ring so that the fancy guards can also dunk?
      Dude, all sports are entertainment. We watch sports for all different reasons like national or school pride, but it is still entertainment.

We cannot be like China because we're not a communist country. To effectively run the PBA, it has to remain marketable to gain a profit. Because of this fact, it will never be perfect. However, along with entertainment, it has to keep the credibility of the sport intact. If they lose credibility, then the PBA will lose its fans.

Notice how we are no longer in awe of PBA players. We don't have legends anymore. That's the sign that the PBA is in decline, and we have to make the PBA people realize that.

Your views are just a little too extreme, I think. but I do see your point.

Comment

Originally posted by el scorcho View Post
        Dude, all sports are entertainment. We watch sports for all different reasons like national or school pride, but it is still entertainment.

We cannot be like China because we're not a communist country. To effectively run the PBA, it has to remain marketable to gain a profit. Because of this fact, it will never be perfect. However, along with entertainment, it has to keep the credibility of the sport intact. If they lose credibility, then the PBA will lose its fans.

Notice how we are no longer in awe of PBA players. We don't have legends anymore. That's the sign that the PBA is in decline, and we have to make the PBA people realize that.

Curiously, it's the same point others are saying. However, they do it with class, respect and certain objectivity. It's hard to discuss arguments with people who have a closed-mind--- moreover, people with personal biases.

If other people can do it nicely and with a certain amount of respect, why can't this guy?
        If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Comment

Originally posted by el scorcho View Post

i am deeply sorry if my comments scandalized you. i still maintain however that the pba's existence is detrimental to our vision of becoming asian powerhouses again.

Comment

Originally posted by CoJ View Post
            I'm looking at the european model, at 14 years old you could play pro ball.....in tennis, golf and even in boxing, there's no need for a college degree to be successful..

since this kids wouldn't take education seriously anyway (well some of them) it would be better if they go straight to the pros after high school (or 18)......In the US there's an argument that they should just go to the NBA since they just destroy the credibility of their university......(I think it was said by doug collins)
            or may be...that's the word!

Comment

i am deeply sorry if my comments scandalized you. i still maintain however that the pba's existence is detrimental to our vision of becoming asian powerhouses again.
              I don't think the professional league (PBA) is detrimental to the Philippines being a powerhouse again in Asia, but the individuals running it should be the one's to blame...

In the end of the day, you have to realize that most of these players are playing the game not for country, but for a big pay day (this is their initial motivation).....

Comment

I don't think the professional league (PBA) is detrimental to the Philippines being a powerhouse again in Asia, but the individuals running it should be the one's to blame...

In the end of the day, you have to realize that most of these players are playing the game not for country, but for a big pay day (this is their initial motivation).....
                Actually its the love for the game that makes these play, money is also a motivation for these players.

Plus looking at it PBA is one the biggest stockholders of the SBP, and besides we have to make use of what we have now. Its inside how we reform it.
                you know why I am happy

Comment

Originally posted by b3lowzro View Post
                  Actually its the love for the game that makes these play, money is also a motivation for these players.

Plus looking at it PBA is one the biggest stockholders of the SBP, and besides we have to make use of what we have now. Its inside how we reform it.

I agree..forgot to mention the love for the game, but usually, looking at the behavior of these kids, money trumps love..(which is sad)

Comment

What if...

why dont lower their salary? Why not make a rule that only a national athlete can have the highest salary?

I hope its possible....

Ang PRIDE parang panty, pag hindi binaba walang mangyayari...

Comment

Originally posted by Cloner View Post
                      why dont lower they salary. Why not make a rule that only a national athlete can have a higher?

I hope its possible....

you can't its unconstitutional....

well, you can't have national athletes paid more since it would drain the national funds...

Businessmen supports national sports program for taxbreaks...

Comment

well, you can't have national athletes paid more since it would drain the national funds...

ah ok..

How they were able to lower the maximum salary from 500K to 350K?
                        Ang PRIDE parang panty, pag hindi binaba walang mangyayari...

Comment

Originally posted by Cloner View Post
                          ah ok..

How they were able to lower the maximum salary from 500K to 350K?
                          that would have to be debated by the PBA board and the Players union via a CBA (collective bargaining agreement) bro....so it is possible,

but it is not retroactive

Comment

I agree..forgot to mention the love for the game, but usually, looking at the behavior of these kids, money trumps love..(which is sad)
                            In this economy and in this world? Money is what makes the world go 'round. And no, sports is not an exemption.

It would be nice to see that we have pure athletes that just want to play the game because they "love" it but it's not just happening. You got have a little of both to motivate these athletes.
                            If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Comment

why is it unconstitutional? ever heard of demotion?
                              pls enlighten me on this

Comment

why is it unconstitutional? ever heard of demotion?
                                pls enlighten me on this
                                I assume that the poster was asking whether or not the government could impose a law that would impose a salary cap or impose a lower salary, this is highlighted in Article XII or Article XIIIof the constitution (the only thing that the government can do is impose a minimum salary..

But the league can lower its maximum salary via the CBA

Remember we are a democratic country with a free market, the government can't impose its will on the economic realm

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information