Day 3, Group A: Philippines vs Korea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by phevergy View Post
    I have high expectations with Gabe Norwood but seems like it he's not the same player i saw way back 2007. He's supposed to be one of the veterans at FIBA asia.
    I think much of Gabe's brilliance there came from Jimmy's passes. Minus the Jimmy, no Gabe.
    (won't quote) somebody said offnight by our shooters, I'd say we have no shooters. Yap & Santos didn't even make the 07 team, Jay2 was just an eyesore back-up. 2009 team has the taller frontline yet couldn't beat the same Korean team the 07 team beat. Despite the alleged personnel upgrade, performance tells us this is the weaker team.
    sigpic

Comment

• still having a bad day .......

Comment

• Originally posted by rhk111 View Post
        I wouldn't discount Ha Seung Jin at this point. The tournament is still early, and the guy had proven himself in the past. Here are his stat page, showing his averages in previous FIBA tournaments:

http://china2009.fiba.com/pages/eng/...3/profile.html
        wala naman problema kay Ha eh rp just played his weaknesses he is strong thats why we always scout him well you cant let Yancy de Ocampo or a inexperienced Sam Eman Guard Ha because he will score 15 points at least in a low scoring ballgame
        To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
        1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueSpy_adobo View Post
          anyone one know regarding jp aguilar's condition?
          dunk kasi ng dunk...dapat dun cia mag dunk pag magaling kalaban...di naman siya sisikat kahit makailang dakdak siya sa Sri Lankan team...

translation:he's just resting and hope to play against iran and ct.

Comment

• Originally posted by phevergy View Post
            dunk kasi ng dunk...dapat dun cia mag dunk pag magaling kalaban...di naman siya sisikat kahit makailang dakdak siya sa Sri Lankan team...

translation:he's just resting and hope to play against iran and ct.
            maybe true until proven otherwise after the tournament
            To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
            1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

• Watching again the game between the phils and south korea, it was visible the way the koreans outgunned and outplayed our nationals. The koreans has proven they are faster and quicker with their feet than the filipinos, beating our pba pros off the dribble or a quick step to the basket. Sokor's ball movement was really better than us and their motion offense just went fluid.
              “I think our point guards are small,” “Not to say that our point guards are not good, but I believe that we need bigger point guards.”
              - SBP President Manny V. Pangilinan

Wanted: Philippine version of Jordan's talented backcourt tandem of 6'5" Sam Daghlas & 6'4" Rashem Wright

Comment

• Originally posted by FatFingerz View Post
                Still I am very optimistic with this team, and I am very proud of them (except their shooting last night). but whatever happens this is my team!
                same with me ....... i will be cheering team pilipinas all the way to victory......or defeat

Comment

• what was really disappointing in their game against Korea was their open shots were not falling..

although they both shot 19 field goals, the attempts of Korea were most of the time challenged thus making them miss.. ours is different because we had the open look most of the time..

good thing is, it was not a do or die game..
                  Impossible is Nothing!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by bsgermany View Post
                    Before this tournament, I had hopes for the Philippines to possibly make it even to the World Champs with a little luck, but this team needs a miracle to even come close to it.
                    The offense is terrible, and despite Taulava, their inside game against stronger teams is nothing but a huge disaster. A guy like Penisi, who often is the tallest player they have on the field, keeps standing at least 6-7 meters away from the basket. Who is supposed to get the rebounds? Scoring in the paint is a real weakness once they face better teams than Sri Lanka it seemes. Too often they were afraid of finishing inside which too often lead to rushed shots that missed. The team too much counts on its outside shooting, which was just as terrible today as the several missed layups inside.
                    A very uninspired offens and a pretty unimpressive defense - that won't bring the team to Turkey and most likely not even close to the semi-final.
                    Guiao put Pennisi there to draw the opposing big man outside. As for the possible deficiencies of having a shooting big man you failed to notice that either Taulava or Thoss was there to complement Mick's outside game. Pennisi has been a fixture of team RP for the almost a decade already, and he played for Guiao during the better half of it in their tenure for a PBA ballclub. Reviewing the stats sheet proved that it was not a bad move on Guiao's part. Double check the offensive rebounding and 3 point conversions.

The defense was unimpressive? Lol
                    RP's extended coverage limited Korea to 18% shooting from behind the arc. Almost every korean attempt had a hand on his face due to the good close out. The collapsing defense led to 6 steals and 13 turnovers as well. Sokor won because of better offense- the Philippines' were missing a lot of uncontested jumpers off screens, and when the Koreans realized that in the second half they started pressuring the ball on top to force kick out jumpers. The gamble paid off because nobody was making it anyway (Yap and Miller were a combined 3/18, ugh) What kept RP in the game until the late minutes were points off the break while the Kor defense was unsettled.

Nonetheless i have to agree on your other points, but you have to take note that this team barely had 2 weeks of international exposure for the FIBA tourney. Heck, they had barely A MONTH to prepare on "rather" full roster (missing its 2 best players due to injuries with the league MVP playing through a bad hamstring) and now they are battling teams which are well acquainted for years playing together under international rules.

No matter which way we look at it- through all the unfamiliarity, crammed practices and injuries- Team Pilipinas have given a good account of themselves so far against much fancied rivals.

Comment

• Originally posted by tiffac View Post
                      Everyone was already making Ha as a superstar and I thought we was that good, only to turn out a big guy w/o any talent. If that's talent then by God I rather be a munchkin with a killer shot. lolz!

As for Asi I think, Yeng paced him, Asi is old, grand pa age in terms of B-ball. So he got the 3rd qtr rest.

Japeth all that st@pid show time did you no good and the team. Why couldn't you just make a freaking lay up and not hurt yourself. Top that your going to the PBA and stagnate your talent... Good Luck to ya!
                      SJ Ha remains overrated, he hardly showed any improvement since the last time we saw him back in '07. Pennisi, Asi and Thoss basically stood their ground in denying him position. If we had a taller defender to front him i guess he would have had a much harder time getting the rack because of his lack of mobility and nose for the ball.

Comment

• Originally posted by apiSigbinz View Post
                        what was really disappointing in their game against Korea was their open shots were not falling..

although they both shot 19 field goals, the attempts of Korea were most of the time challenged thus making them miss.. ours is different because we had the open look most of the time..

good thing is, it was not a do or die game..
                        ditto, its definitely one of our good losses pre. Those shots were the ones miller and yap normally make but i guess "halong gigil" na rin. Our players maybe pros but they still lack the familiarity of the international game where the atmosphere is very different the PBA.

i hope FIBA rules are reinforced when Smart Gilas plays in the next conference

Comment

• ..... hangover against the loss from korea

Comment

• Originally posted by d_viper View Post
                            ..... hangover against the loss from korea
                            Another Paking Shet game. Nadagdagan na naman utang ng Korea sa atin.
                            TINIRA! TINIRA SA LIKOD!!

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Big_Cat View Post
                              We played very well yesterday but our perimeter shots weren't falling. That's the culprit yesterday. PERIMETER SHOOTING.

Helterbrand, Raymundo and Santos are all struggling.

Yeng Guiao gave heavy minutes at the SF spot to Norwood and Dillinger simply because of their ability to dribble penetrate.

Raymundo seems to be the biggest frustration for me in the tournament. He is supposed to be our versatile PF who can create for himself and his teammates. Raymundo has not shown that yet.

If we can start the game strong and hit our shots early, the lanes will be open for our slashers and big men. Good luck on monday.

GO TEAM PILIPINAS!
                              Raymundo's still on a slump...I think he hasn't got his confidence back..he's hurrying and forcing his shots.

Helterbrand's priority is still playmaking and distributing the ball...but still he has to score and find his shooting touch...which earned him his first MVP...his injury may have slowed him down.

Santos is thinking offense all the time and not defense...now we know his lean frame isn't fit for highly physical game in FIBA...he has limited dribbling ability too.
                              SMART GILAS: all the way

Comment

• Where is Kerby & Arwind? Tsk tsk tsk i knew it it should be Hontiveros & Washington. I really wish we have 5 more Cyrus Baguio.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information