Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sri Lankan NT.....they might not even make it to Tianjin

NAME (DoB, Club)
    Mithila Iresha ABEYSEKARA (11-04-1984, Sampath Bank)
    Agalathunga Arachchige Pushpa Kumara (05-25-1982, NTB)
    Danawansa Chamath Gokula (03-06-1983, Sampath Bank)
    De Silva Hendahewa Harshadeva Yasarathna (04-17-1986, Dialog Telecom)
    Ranhaluge Roshan Suranga Fernando (05-16-1988, HNB)
    Kolamba Arachchige Thissara Chathuranga (11-03-1985, Sampath Bank)
    Kulathunga Jagath Pushpakumara Bandara (07-06-1978, DPMC)
    Shanaka Prasad (03-31-1985, Delmege)
    Rajapaksha Duke Sanjeewa (10-27-1976, Dialog Telecom PVT)
    Dodangodaarachchige Sidath Senanayake (04-11-1988, NTB)
    Serasinghe Jayakody Arachchige Chamath (03-13-1986, DFCC)
    Sooriyaarachchi Don Roshan Randima (11-24-1981, Delmege)

Head Coach Ajit Kuruppu

But according to Sri Lanka newspaper, The Island, it is reported the team was to leave on the 4th of August, but they wouldn't make it unless they had financial assistance (corporate sponsor). At the time of the article, there were no sponsors. This would be sad if they dont go. As badly as they will most likely get defeated, it's still nice to see other countries play.

Sources for roster: china2009.fiba.com, island.lk

from island.lk
    The 25th FIBA Asia Basketball Championship for Men will be staged in Tianjin city, China, from August 6 to 16. The championship serves as the qualifying tournament for FIBA Asia for the 2010 FIBA World Championship.

A Sri Lankan basketball team has been able to qualify for the tournament after 15 years where 16 teams will be involved.

Sri Lanka will compete in Group A along with Korea, Japan and Philippines while Iran, Chinese Taipei, Kuwait and Uzbekistan will compete in Group B and Kazakhstan, Qatar, India and host China will compete in Group C. Lebanon, Jordan Indonesia and U.A.E are in Group D.

The top three teams will qualify for the 2010 FIBA World Championship to be held in Turkey. At least three more teams will be selected as wild cards by FIBA to complete in the 24 team event.

The Sri Lanka team comprises Rajapaksha Duke Sanjeewa (Dialog Telecom PVT), Kulathunga Jagath Pushpakumara Bandara (DPMC), Danawansa Chamath Gokula (Sampath Bank), Sooriyaarachchi Don Roshan Randima (Delmege), Agalathunga Arachchige Pushpa Kumara( NTB), Shanaka Prasad (Delmege), Mithila Abeysekera (Sampath Bank), Ranhaluge Roshan Suranga Fernando (HNB), Dodangodaarachchige Sidath Senanayake (NTB), De Silva Hendahewa Harshadeva Yasarathna (Dialog Telecom), Kolamba Arachchige Thissara Chathuranga (Sampath Bank) and Serasinghe Jayakody Arachchige Chamath (DFCC).

Sri Lanka will open the tournament against Philippines on August 6 followed by matches against Korea and Japan.

Sri Lanka coach Ajit Kuruppu told ‘The Island’ that "the Sri Lankan team has improved a lot. We selected this team targeting next year’s SAF games. We will have to go through a gruelling time in the first round as we will meet strong teams like Korea, Japan and the Philippines.

The Sri Lanka team is expected to leave the island on August 4 but ‘The Island’ learns that they will not be able to make it, unless they are provided financial assistance for their air tickets. So far, no sponsors have come forward to support the Sri Lanka team.
    My Blog: http://wwoib.blogspot.com/

Statistics Wish List:
    1990 Asian Games -in Beijing, CHN
    1991 Pan Am Games -in Havana, CUB
    1991 South American Championships -in Valencia, VEN
    1991 Oceania Championship -in NZ
    1991 Asian Basketball Championship -in Kobe, JPN
    1992 African Basketball Championship -in Cairo, EGY
    1992 Euro Olympic Basketball Tournament -in Spain

Originally posted by usausa View Post
    NAME (DoB, Club)
    Mithila Iresha ABEYSEKARA (11-04-1984, Sampath Bank)
    Agalathunga Arachchige Pushpa Kumara (05-25-1982, NTB)
    Danawansa Chamath Gokula (03-06-1983, Sampath Bank)
    De Silva Hendahewa Harshadeva Yasarathna (04-17-1986, Dialog Telecom)
    Ranhaluge Roshan Suranga Fernando (05-16-1988, HNB)
    Kolamba Arachchige Thissara Chathuranga (11-03-1985, Sampath Bank)
    Kulathunga Jagath Pushpakumara Bandara (07-06-1978, DPMC)
    Shanaka Prasad (03-31-1985, Delmege)
    Rajapaksha Duke Sanjeewa (10-27-1976, Dialog Telecom PVT)
    Dodangodaarachchige Sidath Senanayake (04-11-1988, NTB)
    Serasinghe Jayakody Arachchige Chamath (03-13-1986, DFCC)
    Sooriyaarachchi Don Roshan Randima (11-24-1981, Delmege)

Head Coach Ajit Kuruppu

But according to Sri Lanka newspaper, The Island, it is reported the team was to leave on the 4th of August, but they wouldn't make it unless they had financial assistance (corporate sponsor). At the time of the article, there were no sponsors. This would be sad if they dont go. As badly as they will most likely get defeated, it's still nice to see other countries play.
    My bad -- game's scheduled for tomorrow.
    Last edited by kerouac82; 08-05-2009, 02:48 AM. Reason: My bad -- game's scheduled for tomorrow.
    Keep running, big boy.

Comment

haha lol i was like, what?

Statistics Wish List:

Comment

Just to make sure, game is 9 AM Philippine time on Thursday right? just makin sure since i live exactly 12 hrs back from Philippines so I do not want to be off....so that would be 9PM Wednesday in Boston

Statistics Wish List:

Comment

no info about their height? anyway.... they WILL have a hard time... THEY NEED A MIRACLE TO BE ABLE TO BEAT RP, JAPAN, and Korea, let alone proceed nxt round.

I hope they make it though. I want to see out team play

Comment

If the sri lankan team won't able to make it, i think its bad for the philippine team.... i think they need the sri lankan team for tune up just to feel the playing court.

Comment

yes, i will indeed be very disappointed. and I could find no height/weight/position for any players so far. asia-basket just has the roster listed from 2007. Hopefully, FIBA Asia will add it. They don't even have all the hieghts or any positions for Team Pilipinas!

Statistics Wish List:

Comment

any updates concerning the sri-lankian team?

i guess FIBA Asia should do something about it ...
                GODSPEED Lebanon!!
                Vote for your NT in the upcoming Asian Championship

Comment

Originally posted by PogiIT View Post
                  If the sri lankan team won't able to make it, i think its bad for the philippine team.... i think they need the sri lankan team for tune up just to feel the playing court.
                  For me this is not actually such a good news, I would rather have the Sri Lanka play as it would be a good opportunity for the Philippine team to start the tournament on a winning note. It would be their platform that they could use in order to launch the team as a final preparation for tougher battles ahead.
                  LABAN KUNG LABAN! KAYA NATIN PILIPINAS!
                  Mabuhay ang TEAM PILIPINAS !!!!

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
                  THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

I am still wondering why Afghanistan did not apply for a ticket for China as the team would easily defeat Sri Lanka in a qualifier. Sri Lanka did get the chance due to the fact that the regional-FIBA boss is Sri Lankan... If they cant make it to China, ban them from competition for a period of time. This is not the 80's or 90's where teams can suddenly pull out without getting any punishment. Even in Africa, all teams made it to Libya in time.

I from Wisconsin!
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca6O8FR0rbQ

TO SYNTHESIZER WE ARE A BIG TEAM

Comment

Originally posted by nardy View Post
                      For me this is not actually such a good news, I would rather have the Sri Lanka play as it would be a good opportunity for the Philippine team to start the tournament on a winning note. It would be their platform that they could use in order to launch the team as a final preparation for tougher battles ahead.
                      your afraid of the syrian nt lol cause as i heard the syrian nt will replace sri lanka haha
                      a strong nt shouldn't be afraid of any other team look at us we are over confident hehe i know this is wrong lol we can't wait china vs lebanon match lol but you shouldn't be afraid of any other nt except for ours hehe
                      Lebanon mother land of the phoenicians! 7000 years of culture and history and still BEIRUT is "PARIS OF THE MIDDLE EAST"

LONG LIVE THE CEDARS

Comment

Originally posted by leb-basket View Post
                        your afraid of the syrian nt lol cause as i heard the syrian nt will replace sri lanka haha
                        a strong nt shouldn't be afraid of any other team look at us we are over confident hehe i know this is wrong lol we can't wait china vs lebanon match lol but you shouldn't be afraid of any other nt except for ours hehe
                        That was a typo, Syria will not replace Sri Lanka in the Asian Champs.

Source: http://www.gmanews.tv/story/169110/F...cure-Sri-Lanka

Oh and btw, we're not afraid of anything because we are already facing two top teams in the first round. You, on the other hand, have only Jordan to worry about in the first round. I wonder how you would react if your team faces Iran/Korea, Japan and Jordan in the first round.
                        GILAS WISHLIST:
                        6'8 Pingris

Comment

Originally posted by interxavierxxx View Post
                          That was a typo, Syria will not replace Sri Lanka in the Asian Champs.

Source: http://www.gmanews.tv/story/169110/F...cure-Sri-Lanka

Oh and btw, we're not afraid of anything because we are already facing two top teams in the first round. You, on the other hand, have only Jordan to worry about in the first round. I wonder how you would react if your team faces Iran/Korea, Japan and Jordan in the first round.
                          this would be gr8 ! i'd love to be in such a group!!!! enthousiastic games to watch! and we would win all of them japan and jordan are easy to win over
                          u saw how we played against korea in jones cup tournament (we arrived to a 30pts diff) iran is going to be the hardest game but we would win over it cause now we have a full team with a gr8 chemistry as coach raca stated !
                          Lebanon mother land of the phoenicians! 7000 years of culture and history and still BEIRUT is "PARIS OF THE MIDDLE EAST"

LONG LIVE THE CEDARS

Comment

Originally posted by Mojado View Post
                            I am still wondering why Afghanistan did not apply for a ticket for China as the team would easily defeat Sri Lanka in a qualifier. Sri Lanka did get the chance due to the fact that the regional-FIBA boss is Sri Lankan... If they cant make it to China, ban them from competition for a period of time. This is not the 80's or 90's where teams can suddenly pull out without getting any punishment. Even in Africa, all teams made it to Libya in time.
                            Actually, Sri Lanka, like any other team, got an opportunity to qualify for the Cahmpionship. In FIBA Middle Asia, only Uzbekistan and Sri Lanka applied for the Championship. Afghanistan did not apply, so no ticket. Had they applied, there would have been probably a single round robin and then a final with the two best teams. And I am not so upset if Sri Lanka has to pull out. I mean, if no one was willing to sponsor them, thats not their fault they don't have the financial means to make it.

Statistics Wish List:

Comment

Philippine Head Coach Yeng Guiao said the team got a glimpse of their Sri Lankan opponents came Wednesday morning during breakfast at the King Hall Hotel where both teams are staying.

“Physically, they are quite small, Guaio noted of the Sri Lankans, a people more known to be adept at cricket than basketball.

“Still, we don’t know anything about them," he added. “We have no scouting report on them and we haven’t seen them play."

A check with the FIBA-Asia organizers showed only the name of the 12-man roster of Sri Lanka, but no specific positions, heights and weights were included.

Facing a blank wall, Guiao said there should be no room for complacency in Powerade-RP’s duel against the island country in South Asia.

“We have to go all out against them regardless of what kind of team they have," said the RP coach shortly before the team went to practice at the vast Sports Hotel Wednesday.

Sri Lanka

SRI LANKA's ROSTER
                              # Name P Height DOB Place Of Birth Last season club
                              M. Iresha
                              ABESEKARA -/- 04/11/1984 -
                              SRI
                              A.P. Pushpakumara
                              AGALATHUNGA -/- 25/05/1982 -
                              SRI
                              Chamath Gokula
                              DANAWANSA -/- 06/03/1983 -
                              SRI
                              H.H. Yasarathne
                              DE SILVA -/- 17/04/1986 -
                              SRI
                              R.R.Suranga
                              FERNANDO -/- 16/05/1988 -
                              SRI
                              T Chathuranga
                              KOLAMBA ARACHCHIGE -/- 03/11/1985 -
                              SRI
                              K.M.J.P.K.B. Kulathunga
                              KULATHUNGA -/- 06/07/1978 -
                              SRI
                              Shanaka Prasad
                              PERERA -/- 31/03/1985 -
                              SRI
                              Duke Sanjeewa
                              RAJAPAKSHE -/- 27/10/1976 -
                              SRI
                              D.A. Sidath
                              SENANAYAKE -/- 11/04/1988 -
                              SRI
                              S.J.A.D.C. Serasinghe
                              SERASINGHE -/- 13/03/1986 -
                              SRI
                              D R Randima
                              SOOROYAARACHCHI -/- 24/11/1981 -
                              SRI
                              Average height: -/-

ACHIEVEMENTS IN FIBA COMPETITION
                              Season Competition Placement
                              PARTICIPATION IN FIBA COMPETITION
                              Season Last Achieved Round
                              2000 Asian Championship for Young Men Classification
                              2000 Asian Championship for Junior Men Classification
                              1995 Asian Championship for Men Classification Round
                              1991 Asian Championship for Men Classification Round
                              1986 Asian Championship for Men Classification Round
                              1981 Asian Championship for Men Classification Round
                              1977 Asian Championship for Men Classification Round
                              1975 Asian Championship for Men Classification Round

Philippines (PHI) vs. All teams - FIBA Asia Championship for Men
                              Win-Loss record: 114 - 55 (67%)
                              Participation: 22
                              vs. Sri Lanka (SRI): 1 win - 0 loss (100 %)
                              Year Event Result
                              1977 Asian Championship for Men 119-70
                              LABAN KUNG LABAN! KAYA NATIN PILIPINAS!
                              Mabuhay ang TEAM PILIPINAS !!!!

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
                              THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information