Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marco Belinelli in the NBA

ITA/CAN - Belinelli traded to Toronto

TORONTO (EuroBasket 2009 / NBA) - Italy internationals Marco Belinelli and Andrea Bargnani have been united at club level after the Toronto Raptors completed a trade to acquire Belinelli from the Golden State Warriors.

The Raptors confirmed the trade late on Thursday.

"Marco fills a void at the wing position where his shooting and scoring strengths will be needed. Marco's versatility and playmaking abilities make him a very valuable piece for us," said Bryan Colangelo, Raptors president and general manager.

Toronto had been trying to land Belinelli for the last year, as Colangelo sought to improve his guard play.

That Belinelli was his chief target was, no doubt, down in large part to the influence of Raptors vice-president Maurizio Gherardini, the former Benetton Treviso general manager who is familar with Belinelli's game from the period when both men were in Lega A. Belinelli spent five years in Italy's top domestic league with Fortitudo Bologna prior to joining the Warriors.

Belinelli will have to wait to meet his new team-mates - with the exception of Bargnani - as he is with Italy at a training camp preparing for the Additional Qualifying Round to EuroBasket 2009 that kicks off on August 5th.

The 23-year-old, who was the 18th overall pick in the NBA draft in 2007, averaged 8.9 points and 2.1 assists for the Warriors last season. His best night came on December 12 when he poured in 27 points against Atlanta.

The highlight of his international career to date was his performance against the United States in the 2006 FIBA World Championship when he poured in 25 points..

In order to land the 1.96m Belinelli, the Raptors gave up forward Devean George, a player they acquired in the deal that brought Turkey international Hedo Turkoglu to Toronto earlier this summer.

Meanwhile, the Raptors have added another international player to their increasingly diverse roster as Rasho Nesterovic returns to the team after one season with the Indiana Pacers.

The veteran Slovenian 7-footer played for Toronto from 2006 to 2008, averaging 6.9 points and 4.6 rebounds in 151 games.

"Rasho brings us back a great veteran presence who has a familiarity with our coaching staff and several players. His leadership and personality will be great assets for this team," said Colangelo.

Nesterovic announced his international retirement after last year's FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Raptors represent the world

I think this makes the Raptors the most internationalized team in the NBA. Article.
    Euroleague Adventures

The Dotted Line Up: Ranking all the Euroleague Free Agents

Subscribe to the podcast for free on iTunes and follow ELA on Twitter: Euro_Adventures

Comment

Will be interesting to see, what this "European" NBA team can do this year, as they sucked big-time last season. While everyone is applauding CoAngelo, I am not sure, whether Turkoglu and couple of second-rate additions can make them play-off contender. Maybe Calderon and Bosh just ain't as good as everyone presumes?

Comment

I think Belinelli would come off the bench as DeRozan would be in place of the SG spot. Belinelli would fill in nicely after Anthony Parker bolted to Cleveland.

Comment

Let's also add Bargnani to the mix, he seems to have matured and established himself in the league last season. On paper they have a great talented team.
          Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
          Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by LordOfLeyte View Post
            I think Belinelli would come off the bench as DeRozan would be in place of the SG spot. Belinelli would fill in nicely after Anthony Parker bolted to Cleveland.
            I doubt a rookie would start, DeRozan is no MJ or LBJ. Belinelli is a decent player with some experience.

Comment

Originally posted by kecal View Post
              I doubt a rookie would start, DeRozan is no MJ or LBJ. Belinelli is a decent player with some experience.
              In fairness to all rookies, they don't need to be prodigies like LBJ or MJ to get a starting spot, basing on circumstances, DeRozan or Belinelli are both qualified to start.

Comment

Belinelli was traded today from the Raptors to the Hornets in exchange for Julian Wright.

Comment

Originally posted by BBallfanJ View Post
                  Belinelli was traded today from the Raptors to the Hornets in exchange for Julian Wright.
                  Wow!! That's a steal for the Hornets!! Julian Wright for Marco Belinelli? What's Toronto thinking?

The Hornets are clearly thinking about a run for the play-offs. Today, they picked up Trevor Ariza, who will probably start in front of Stojakovic (maybe not, Idon't know), and Belinelli, who will play behind Marcus Thornton.
                  "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

New Orleans Hornets Head Coach Monty Williams has moved Belinelli to the starting lineup.

Sacramento Kings
                    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

New Orleans Hornets guard Marco Belinelli had 18 points and 6 rebounds plus 2 assists on his first game as a starter for the Hornets. The Hornets won over the Miwaukee Bucks 95-91.
                      Sacramento Kings

Comment

Originally posted by CKR13 View Post
                        New Orleans Hornets guard Marco Belinelli had 18 points and 6 rebounds plus 2 assists on his first game as a starter for the Hornets. The Hornets won over the Miwaukee Bucks 95-91.
                        Belinelli was a great pick-up for New Orleans. He's a great shooter and a good slasher. I don't know much about his defense, but he can definitely put some points on the board. Nice to see him making an effort to get rebounds, too.
                        "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Big fan of Belinelli here. I was wondering, do you feel that he'd come back to Europe if there's a lock out in the NBA next season? He's a restrcted free agent (not sure what the complications would be if there's a lockout and he wants to sign for an Italian team for example. Is it choice or is it still current team can bid the same amount and keep him?)

Comment

Originally posted by Alvertis4 View Post
                            Big fan of Belinelli here. I was wondering, do you feel that he'd come back to Europe if there's a lock out in the NBA next season? He's a restrcted free agent (not sure what the complications would be if there's a lockout and he wants to sign for an Italian team for example. Is it choice or is it still current team can bid the same amount and keep him?)
                            When the Lock-Out does happen, the New Orleans Hornets still holds the rights for Belinelli and will allow Belinelli to be offered by any NBA / EuroLeague team with a contract offer; on which the Hornets can choose to match with a counter offer to Belinelli. If Belinelli chooses an NBA Team, the Hornets will relinquish all rights with him. If Belinelli chooses a EuroLeague team's contract offer, the same procedure applies.

A lock-out is just a work stoppage for the players from playing in any games, but the NBA Teams' Front Offices are still operating as usual.
                            Sacramento Kings

Comment

Cool, so I guess the minimum salary needed for him to come to...Panathinaikos (wanted him for the last 2 years) is his current salary

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information