No announcement yet.

Samboy "Skywalker" Lim Highlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samboy Lim is our version of David Thompson.

Comment

IMHO Samboy's greatest games and highlights took place in mid 80s to early 90s in games against foreign competition whether here or abroad. He always seemed to take it to another level playing for the Philippine National Team. He had tremendous games while playing in several Asian Games. He hit 3 straight 3 pointers against Team USA in 1985 Jones Cup to start 2nd half enroute to an upset finals victory. A few months before he exploded for 37 points in RP Team's only victory against Banco di Roma in the 1985 World Club Championships in Gerona, Spain. In the 1987 PBA-IBA challenge, he led San Miguel Beer (with Michael Phelps and Bobby Parks (debut)) to victory against the IBA All-Stars (Sean Chamber's debut on RP soil). Oddly enough, it was the Americans who celebrated the semis loss as SMB needed to beat them by 5 points to advance to the finals. IBA went on to defeat Dexter Shouse and Allan Caidic led Presto team. These games were televised on ESPN back in the US. I always felt that he didn't go all out in the PBA, because of the league's rough nature. Everyone knew that Samboy was a gentle person and would not retaliate if fouled very hard. As it was, Samboy hit the hardwood floor many times due to hard or dirty fouls, leading to his many injuries. I leave you with my favorite Samboy Lim picture. Enjoy "The Skywalker".

Comment

JC Intal should watch these videos. He has so much potential but he shies away from the physicality of the game. What he'll learn from Samboy is not to be afraid of getting hurt. Even if Samboy came from an injury he still played the same way, attacking the basket relentlessly.

Comment

Nice New Video Clips from Youtube.

Samboy Lim vs. Purefoods.

Avelino Lim Jr., or SAMBOY LIM to his countless fans, is the SKYWALKER of the PBA (Philippine Basketball Association). He would thrill his fans with acrobat...

Comment

The PBA was never the same without him.

Comment

Originally posted by DeportGrahamLimMovement View Post
              The PBA was never the same without him.
              agreed 100 %

I think we could rechristen him "The Hammer" or "Sledgehammer" owing to the number of times his head hit the floor.

Jaworski's justification for enlisting Samboy in the 1990 (?) Asiad: "How could you not call it intensity if he bangs his head against cement & still continues playing ..." not verbatim of course. (Masochism?)

1986 ABC championship vs. Korea, 10-12 feet from the left side of the basket. Samboy goes up, is challenged by a Korean defender, dips his hand & effortlessly buries the long finger roll. He routinely scored against 6-7 imports trying to block him as an amateur with NCC, with a simple, double-pump-like windmill.

Difference with today's players: Today-fancy move just for showing off, not of necessity. Samboy's acrobatics are made to elude the defender, plus he made the shot. (close to 50% career FG I think)

What's most admirable is his unwavering humility, highest paid player (for a while) notwithstanding. None of the fake Cardona-ish or Guiao-ish "angas". He let his game do the talking.
              sigpic

Comment

In 1990, there was a pre-season exhibition featuring newcomer Pop Cola, Purefoods and Grand Slam champion San Miguel against the Beijing All Stars, as part of our scouting in preparation for the Asian Games, the Chinese, with some members of their national team, shan tao, gong xiaobin, beat Pop Cola, 93-73 and import-less Purefoods, 81-78, against San Miguel, I remember it was tight in the early minutes until Samboy Lim exploded and brought the house down at the Ninoy Aquino Stadium, from there, the beermen dominated the game and held off the Chinese rallies, winning 79-71. I wanna see the highlights of Samboy in that game, one in which he drove to the hoop, Lim was unstoppable, not even 7'0" Shan Tao cant do anything to stop him, during the Gold medal game against China in October that year, Samboy scored 25 points highlighted by a dunk to peg the score at 76-90, although we lost, our consolation was we lost by only 14, compared to the 65-point defeat at the hands of China in the preliminaries. Lim was voted in the mythical five of the 1990 Asian Games men's basketball.

I think Jaworski's statement on Samboy Lim, when talking about members of the national team, "How could we ever leave him, when he doesnt care whether he hits his head in the cement and still continues to play 100%, thats the kind of intensity we needs."
                Last edited by mon23; 04-28-2010, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mon23 View Post
                  Samboy scored 25 points highlighted by a dunk to peg the score at 76-90, although we lost, our consolation was we lost by only 14, compared to the 65-point defeat at the hands of China in the preliminaries. Lim was voted in the mythical five of the 1990 Asian Games men's basketball.

I think Jaworski's statement on Samboy Lim, when talking about members of the national team, "How could we ever leave him, when he doesnt care whether he hits his head in the cement and still continues to play 100%, thats the kind of intensity we needs."
                  Yes. The score was 74-90, when Samboy parted the Red sea and slammed a right-hander home just before the buzzer sounded. Garbage-time points, but the near effortless take-off and elevation was tops in my book. Not to mention those knee-high socks.

About a week before the 1990 Asiad, I remember the Inquirer ran a full-page story about the final cast of characters, their individual snapshots and Jaworski's comment for each player.

Jaworski's compelling snippet on Samboy needed no further justification.

Comment

Samboy Lim my 1st PBA basketball star Idol

Comment

The Skywalker in action @ 10th Asian games

guys just want to share this video, tnx to tagahanga1962 of you tube

Avelino "SAMBOY" Lim, Jr. topscored for 22 points during this game: The Phils. National Team against Malaysia during the 10th Seoul Asiad or 1986 Asian Game...

Avelino "SAMBOY" Lim, Jr. topscored for 22 points during this game: The Phils. National Team against Malaysia during the 10th Seoul Asiad or 1986 Asian Games. Coached by Joe Lipa and included basketball greats Alvin Patrimonio, Allan Caidic, Ronnie Magsanoc, Jerry Codinera and others, this 1986 RP basketball team brought home the Bronze medal.

================================================== =====
                      My PBA idol ever!

Comment

Originally posted by dranny79 View Post
                        guys just want to share this video, tnx to tagahanga1962 of you tube

Avelino "SAMBOY" Lim, Jr. topscored for 22 points during this game: The Phils. National Team against Malaysia during the 10th Seoul Asiad or 1986 Asian Game...

Avelino "SAMBOY" Lim, Jr. topscored for 22 points during this game: The Phils. National Team against Malaysia during the 10th Seoul Asiad or 1986 Asian Games. Coached by Joe Lipa and included basketball greats Alvin Patrimonio, Allan Caidic, Ronnie Magsanoc, Jerry Codinera and others, this 1986 RP basketball team brought home the Bronze medal.

================================================== =====
                        My PBA idol ever!
                        Great game from Samboy Lim. He's only 5'11", but he outplayed the 6'4" 1/2" Malaysian defender.

Comment

In the 1987 PBA-IBA challenge, he led San Miguel Beer (with Michael Phelps and Bobby Parks (debut)) to victory against the IBA All-Stars (Sean Chamber's debut on RP soil). Oddly enough, it was the Americans who celebrated the semis loss as SMB needed to beat them by 5 points to advance to the finals. IBA went on to defeat Dexter Shouse and Allan Caidic led Presto team.
                          Bobby Parks' partner at San Miguel during the '87 PBA/IBA challenge cup was Dwayne Polee, who never played a regular PBA game, along with other american reinforcements who saw action in the 4-team tourney, they are Hills Bros. Alex Adams and McKinley Singleton and Great Taste Milkmasters Dwight Moody. among the IBA selection, only Sean Chambers and Sugar Ray Hall (Purefoods) would suit up for PBA teams.

Comment

where can we buy dvds of games of samboy?

Comment

SAMBOY LIM San Miguel vs Beijing 5 Selection

San Miguel battles the Beijing 5 Selection (top chinese players) before a jampacked, sold-out, standing room only-Rizal Coliseum. Reminisce the aerial maneuv...

SAMBOY LIM RP vs CHINA 1985 ABC

PART 1 - Coached by Ron Jacobs, this RP Team won the gold in the 1985 Asian Basketball Championship held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. It was composed of selec...

(PART 2) Coached by Ron Jacobs, this RP Team won the gold in the 1985 Asian Basketball Championship held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. It was composed of select...

Samboy Lim - ALL MY BEST!

Due to popular demand, here it is: The Skywalker's ALL MY BEST! Highlights Samboy's amazing moves, awesome shots, riveting blocks & dazzling dunks. WHEN IT...

Thanks to Mr.Tagahanga1962 for uploading Samboy Lim's Career Highlights.
                              Last edited by Lebron23; 05-30-2010, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebron23 View Post
                                SAMBOY LIM San Miguel vs Beijing 5 Selection

San Miguel battles the Beijing 5 Selection (top chinese players) before a jampacked, sold-out, standing room only-Rizal Coliseum. Reminisce the aerial maneuv...

SAMBOY LIM RP vs CHINA 1985 ABC

PART 1 - Coached by Ron Jacobs, this RP Team won the gold in the 1985 Asian Basketball Championship held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. It was composed of selec...

(PART 2) Coached by Ron Jacobs, this RP Team won the gold in the 1985 Asian Basketball Championship held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. It was composed of select...

Samboy Lim - ALL MY BEST!

Due to popular demand, here it is: The Skywalker's ALL MY BEST! Highlights Samboy's amazing moves, awesome shots, riveting blocks & dazzling dunks. WHEN IT...

Thanks to Mr.Tagahanga1962 for uploading Samboy Lim's Career Highlights.
                                WOW! I really appreciated his effort to upload the videos! At least I have the opportunity to watch the PBA in the early 90's. He even has the videos of Samboy Lim's 1990 PBA ASG MVP highlights and his worst injury yet.

By the way, here's a brief clip from Lim's last game in 1997:

It's very rare to see Samboy wearing short socks.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information