Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basketball-Themed Asian Dramas/Movies

Slam Dunk, Anime, Japan, 1990s

Extremely influential cartoon. In China I remember everybody from grade school to college watching this show.

Basic plot: Hanamichi Sakuragi (cough*JR Henderson*cough) is a troubled teenager who had been rejected by 50 girls. Sakuragi then falls in love with the only girl who does not reject him, Akagi Haruko, and to impress her joins the Shohoku High School basketball team. Sakuragi is a natural athlete despite never having played basketball. However, the team's best player is a guy named Rykawa Kaede, whom Haruko loves...

The jersey of the Shohoku basketball team was modeled after the Jordan-era Chicago Bulls... and Hanamichi Sakuragi is loosely interpreted as Dennis Rodman. Imagine Rodman loving a woman who loves Jordan... crazy

(Note: Sakuragi is actually the red haired guy.)

My MVP Valentine, TV series, Taiwan, 2002

Basic plot: (of course influenced by "Slam Dunk") Duan ChenFeng is the best high school player in the country. Hours before the final game, his motorcycle hit the sister of his rival, Yunshang High School's Ming An (aka "Iceman"). Leaving her unconscious in the hospital, he arrived at the game, won the game and MVP award, only to feel extremely guilty afterwards. He swore to take care of the girl Angel (Ming Juan), even if it meant to drop out of school and separating from his sweet and loyal girlfriend Tian Yuxi. Things got a little tricky when Angel fell in love with him and a rich but affectionate Liu Hua (aka "Prince") fell in love with Tian Yuxi, who has a dream of bringing her rag-tag high school team to a national powerhouse.

Duan ChenFeng is played by Taiwan's star player Yen Hsing Su while healing an injury. Yen, a 183cm guard nicknamed "Basketball genie", started to play for Chinese Taipei at the age of 19 and led the 2003 FIBA-Asia tournament in assists. This TV series made him so popular across East & SE Asia that he quitted playing basketball altogether.

A basketball trivia: Yen and another important actor in this series, Kao Tien Chi (176cm PG) had both led Taiwan's high school league (HBL) in assists. Kao was far more unsuccessful as a pro player but he was mostly noted by this story: in the 2002 HBL award ceremony after the tournament, while receiving the "assist leader" award, he said "While I may have the best stats, the best PG in the tournament is Chen Shih Nien (now in the Chinese Taipei NT), and I wish to share this award with him!" The crowd cheered as the two opponents hugged. A similar scene took place in "My MVP Valentine".
    Last edited by sinobball; 08-14-2007, 12:54 AM.
    aim low, score high

Originally posted by sinobball
    Duan ChenFeng is played by Taiwan's star player Yen Hsing Su while healing an injury. Yen, a 183cm guard nicknamed "Basketball genie", started to play for Chinese Taipei at the age of 19 and led the 2003 FIBA-Asia tournament in assists. This TV series made him so popular across East & SE Asia that he quitted playing basketball altogether.

A basketball trivia: Yen and another important actor in this series, Kao Tien Chi (176cm PG) had both led Taiwan's high school league (HBL) in assists. Kao was far more unsuccessful as a pro player but he was mostly noted by this story: in the 2002 HBL award ceremony after the tournament, while receiving the "assist leader" award, he said "While I may have the best stats, the best PG in the tournament is Chen Shih Nien (now in the Chinese Taipei NT), and I wish to share this award with him!" The crowd cheered as the two opponents hugged. A similar scene took place in "My MVP Valentine".
    I was tasked to assist Yen Hsing Su and the entire Chinese-Taipei NT when they visited the Philippines in 2003 before going to the FIBA-Asia Men's Tournament in Harbin, China. They played in a five-team tournament in Cebu along with the Qatar NT and three Filipino teams as their final preparations for FIBA-Asia.

My observation was that Yen tried as much as possible to shun pictures with fans. The only pictures they got of him was when they would pose as a team. He would even cover his face with a towel when entering and exiting the court.

At that time, "My MVP Valentine" was being shown on local television hence Chinese-Taipei's games were the most attended in the tournament!
    Servinio's FACEBOOK Fan Club
    Servinio's Blog of Sports
    Servinio's Official YouTube channel
    Servinio's Official TWITTER account
    Servinio's Official Instagram account

Comment

Yen Hsing Su quit playing for Chinese Taipei NT probably not only because of fame, maybe also due to his injury... Well, at least other than acting, he also has a career now as a sports analyst for ESPN Mandarin...

Comment

There have been several other Basketball dramas/mangas/movies. The ones I can remember off the top of my head are She Got Game, Dear Boys (Same guys who made Slam Dunk).... Jay Chou is currently starring in the live action movie that is losely based on Slam Dunk, and soon the the Chinese movie "Slam" will be coming out, its like a streetball movie or something.... probably going to suck.

Slam Dunk is probably one of the best mangas written (sports-wise), and I actually felt like picking up a basketball and going to play and stuff after reading it. (And I did, picking up basketball again after 3 years of not playing).

Comment

Two new Chinese movies

"Kungfu Dunk" to be released next year. Supposedly a mixture between the Japanese anime and Stephen Chow's "Kungfu Soccer", starring Taiwanese pop singer Jay Chou.

Independent film "Slam" produced in China by some Chinese-Canadian filmmakers.

From the trailers, I would rather watch the 2nd.
          aim low, score high

Comment

From The creator of Slam Dunk Inoue Takehito

comes Buzzer beater, Intergalactic basketball.

Philippines movies

There are a lot of sitcoms that use basketball as episodes. Pro ballers sometimes Act in movies. But There hasn't been a lot of basketball themed movies as of late.

Last 2 minutes
            Starring PBA 4 time MVP Alvin Patrimonio, Jerry Cordinera and Bong Alvarez
            http://imdb.com/title/tt0422616/

Go Johnny Go
            Starring PBA 1996 MVP Johnny Abarientos
            About Street Balling Pizza Delivery boys
            http://imdb.com/title/tt0377982/

Tasya Fantasya
            Starring Kris Aquino and RP NT Coach Chot Reyes
            http://imdb.com/title/tt0447483/

Dobol Dribble
            Alvin Patrimonio's character is a pro baller and starts womanizing and became a girl. Now he needs to motivate his twin brother to join the team
            http://imdb.com/title/tt0335051/

Jeanie Bakit Ngayon KA lang
            Starring Asi Taulava
            Asi Taulava is a Pro baller who tries to hit on a Jeanie
            http://imdb.com/title/tt0343857/
            Last edited by sinobball; 12-21-2007, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Any of the movies on youtube?
              aim low, score high

Comment

I dont think so, these movies are mid 80's - early 90's

2 more anime, though they are not at par with slam dunk.

Dear Boys: Pretty boy basketball. Very Unrealistic with a team having only 5 players and a 5 man rotation. 5 footers dunking. Series goes on and acquires a 6th player

I'll CKBC: bought the DVD of this one though I havent Seen it yet. Though my perception is it is going to be more of Dear boys rather than slam dunk,

Last edited by sinobball; 12-22-2007, 05:20 AM.

Comment

Damn, had no idea Japanese are so crazy about bball...
                  aim low, score high

Comment

So you'd think they be better at it. They should spend more time playing it than drawing it. But then again, who would bring us classic animes then.

Comment

nah just leave them and let us enjoy basketball shows made by them. They'll probably be contented to look good in court through the shows. Oh well, most of the series/ anime are made to further implore the pretty boy selling point anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by sinobball
                        Independent film "Slam" produced in China by some Chinese-Canadian filmmakers.
                        "Slam" the movie (http://www.slamthemovie.com all-English website), an independent film with rookie actors premiered in Singapore and received positive reviews. It will open in China theatres on April 8th. Due to the American/Canadian background of the directors/producers, it is likely it may be distributed outside of Asia.

One of the 3 skinny and young main casts in the film, the kid with spiky hair and a head band is the young Taiwanese hip hop singer Andrew Chou. The other two are aspiring actors from Beijing.
                        aim low, score high

Comment

i recall when i was a yong lad, they would sir old Filipino movies in free TV, then i rember that there was thid movie who stared benjie paras and aiza seguerra. aiza's role there was a dwarf of some sort that helped benjie paras win his basketball game. i recalled a scene there that aiza is invisible and shes sitting in rim of benjie's rival squad and not allowing the shot to enter the rim
                          you know why I am happy

Comment

Has anyone watched Jay Chou's "Kungfu Dunk", where people who don't even look like they have ever played in their life were flying everywhere dunking? Just to show you there is no end to this, there is a new Taiwanese show "Hot Shot" (2008.07.25 on TVB)

One of the 3 leads, Wu Chun, was actually a National Team player for ... Brunei, which means nothing I guess. But the other 2, at least from the clips on youtube look like have absolutely no clue how to play basketball.
                            Last edited by sinobball; 03-24-2010, 04:11 AM.
                            aim low, score high

Comment

Yeah I have Kung Fu Dunk, and it's pretty ridiclious. It's basically what you'd expect out of Jay Chou, though there were some pretty sick scenes. Past that though there wasn't much and the "school stadium" and "basketball matches" pretty much left me shaking my head... It's basically like Shaolin Soccer with a basketball, but not nearly as good. The Fireball jerseys weren't bad though... but the ending really was horrible. Like it was the peak of the story, and then they added some bullshit later.

Also didn't know Wu Chen was actually a basketball player, much less a National team player for Brunei. Maybe I'll give Hot Shots a try.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information