Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think PBA should change into a regional league?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think PBA should change into a regional league?

what do you think guys?

Originally posted by rjmolera20 View Post
    what do you think guys?
    You mean like the Metropolitan Basketball Association (MBA)? Although the concept is enticing, it's not really realistic. First, most of the big companies in the league are Manila based (or have the HQ offices in Manila). That's why the PBA is Manila-based in the first place. Second, logistics will be a nightmare. Issues like broadcasting equipment, renovation/construction of playing venues, travel expenses and hotel accommodations for "visiting teams" and broadcast crews ... all of those things will make the operational costs skyrocket. Third, it would mean that the current players who have established a life in Manila would have to uproot to the provinces (or at the very least, they'd have to spend a significant chunk of the year living away from their families). It would be different if the PBA was a fledgling upstart league where everything and everybody has to start from scratch. But the PBA has been around for decades.

It looks great on paper, but look at what happened to the MBA. That didn't turn out well.

Comment

Originally posted by Pilyong Husband View Post
      You mean like the Metropolitan Basketball Association (MBA)? Although the concept is enticing, it's not really realistic. First, most of the big companies in the league are Manila based (or have the HQ offices in Manila). That's why the PBA is Manila-based in the first place. Second, logistics will be a nightmare. Issues like broadcasting equipment, renovation/construction of playing venues, travel expenses and hotel accommodations for "visiting teams" and broadcast crews ... all of those things will make the operational costs skyrocket. Third, it would mean that the current players who have established a life in Manila would have to uproot to the provinces (or at the very least, they'd have to spend a significant chunk of the year living away from their families). It would be different if the PBA was a fledgling upstart league where everything and everybody has to start from scratch. But the PBA has been around for decades.

It looks great on paper, but look at what happened to the MBA. That didn't turn out well.
      yup! you have a lot of good points there.. but the MBA was copied from the NBA that is why it didnt turn out well.. lack of sponsors.. the best example are leagues from europe.. (see liga endesa of spain) where teams are co-sponsored by companies and cities.. for example.. a team from quezon city.. the name in front of the team's jersey is not QC, rather the co-sponsored company of the city.. both city and company are represented by the team.. it will not also eliminate the advertisement part.. the idea is to save the league from decreasing fans who's patronizing it.. my point is, an arena is only jam-packed for one specific team like ginebra.. thanks to jawo.. hehe.. but the other teams.. naaahh.. forget it.. hehe.. good arenas are not going to be a problem.. there are wealthy cities and provinces that has good arenas.. and those affluent cities or province can provide and participate I believe.. and logistic expenses is not going to be a hitch either.. for me, we should try it.. we must evolve.. I think, PBA is the only remaining basketball league in this world that is not regional based.. (sorry for my bad english) (:

Comment

This is a mere possiblity that we can talk all day and all night, Day in and Day out. The main motive behind this change that you want (TS) is because the Arenas and Coliseums can be filled up to the rafters knowing that each city or province have a strong and huge fanbase.

Comment

yup! you have a lot of good points there.. but the MBA was copied from the NBA that is why it didnt turn out well.. lack of sponsors.. the best example are leagues from europe.. (see liga endesa of spain) where teams are co-sponsored by companies and cities.. for example.. a team from quezon city.. the name in front of the team's jersey is not QC, rather the co-sponsored company of the city.. both city and company are represented by the team.. it will not also eliminate the advertisement part.. the idea is to save the league from decreasing fans who's patronizing it.. my point is, an arena is only jam-packed for one specific team like ginebra.. thanks to jawo.. hehe.. but the other teams.. naaahh.. forget it.. hehe.. good arenas are not going to be a problem.. there are wealthy cities and provinces that has good arenas.. and those affluent cities or province can provide and participate I believe.. and logistic expenses is not going to be a hitch either.. for me, we should try it.. we must evolve.. I think, PBA is the only remaining basketball league in this world that is not regional based.. (sorry for my bad english) (:
          PH actually explained why this is difficult. And while it can be done, the logistical nightmare coupled with high maintenance cost will impact on the bottomline. The sad part is that businesses are pretty much centralized in the NCR region. Sure, there are big businesses in Cebu, Davao and other major cities but only some of them can afford to maintain a regional team. Cebu can be sponsored by the Lhuillier or the Aboitiz family; I think the Floreindo clan was the benefactor for the Davao Eagles. Putting up their brand names can help but only if their businesses extend nationwide. Otherwise, it may be a futile cause.

Comment

love to! true fan base home and away game very exciting love to have in our province...........

Comment

Not happening anytime soon. For this to happen, PBA teams have to evolve into entities separate from the companies that bankroll them.
              Keep running, big boy.

Comment

Id like to have this teams in case it will happened

Ginebra QC ( Araneta Coliseum)
                Meralco Pasig ( Ynares Center, Pasig City)
                Air 21 Laguna (Laguna Provincial Sports Complex)
                Smart Pampanga (Angeles City)
                B-MEG Manila ( The Arena)
                Pasay Alaska ( Cuneta Astodome)
                sigpicNEVER SAY DIE PILIPINAS!

Comment

what do you think guys?
                  MBA = dead
                  You've got to have it to win it

Comment

Originally posted by bognut View Post
                    MBA = dead
                    Minsan ka lang pre magpost pero sapul

Trans:

Bognut = money.
                    If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Comment

Originally posted by bognut View Post
                      MBA = dead
                      Minsan ka lang pre magpost pero sapul

Trans:

Bognut = money.
                      If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Comment

Originally posted by Jay P. Mercado View Post
                        PH actually explained why this is difficult. And while it can be done, the logistical nightmare coupled with high maintenance cost will impact on the bottomline. The sad part is that businesses are pretty much centralized in the NCR region. Sure, there are big businesses in Cebu, Davao and other major cities but only some of them can afford to maintain a regional team. Cebu can be sponsored by the Lhuillier or the Aboitiz family; I think the Floreindo clan was the benefactor for the Davao Eagles. Putting up their brand names can help but only if their businesses extend nationwide. Otherwise, it may be a futile cause.
                        well, my idea right now is every conference or season, the league can re-shuffle the companies associated w/ the city or province..

like:

this season:

smart davao city
                        san miguel quezon city

then next season it will be:

san miguel davao city
                        smart quezon city

Comment

Have heard of your league before is that not regional now? Like the NBA and Europe?

Comment

Originally posted by Fitzaroll View Post
                            Have heard of your league before is that not regional now? Like the NBA and Europe?
                            yup! it is not.. since it was introduced in 1975..

Comment

As a huge MBA fan when was a kid. I don't think a Regional League in the Philippines will succeed. MBA flopped because they overpaid their players. It's very costly to televise some games in the province. The Provincial Government or some multimillion dollar owners needs to support these regional teams if the PBA plan to change the format.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information