Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• end of Yao Ming's basketball career

Yao Ming: If my ankle can’t recover this summer, I’ll retire
    Last edited by CKR13; 07-09-2011, 02:33 AM.
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

end of Yao Ming's basketball career

Rockets' Yao Ming has decided to retire from the NBA, league sources tell Y! Sports. He informed the league office within past 48 hours.
    Thank you, Yao Ming, for the memories. People make fun of your vertical, of you getting dunked on, of your persistent injuries. What they can not make fun of is your will, your dedication, and your heart. Good luck to the rest of your pursuits, basketball or otherwise. You will always remembered by me as a legend, a professional and a true warrior.

(even though I'm not surprised by the news, watching that video still got me a little teary-eyed... still remember staying up until 2AM to watch all his games back in 2002-2003... all these years, from 0 point in his first NBA game and being called the biggest bust ever, to being the face of the franchise... carrying China NT on his back... so many moments just came up, the Laker game in 2002 that resulted in Barkley's ass-kissing; the do-or-die game against SCG in 2004 Olympics; the demolition of the Blazers in 2009 playoffs... It really is a shame that he hasn't won anything outside of Asia.)
    Last edited by sinobball; 07-08-2011, 07:49 PM.
    aim low, score high

Comment

I think the lockout factored into Yao's decision. He couldn't realistically come back, even if he was relatively healthy, after barely playing over a 3 year period (if the lockout costs the whole season). Hopefully he stays involved in the NBA somehow. Maybe the Rockets could retain him as a big man coach - something like the Lakers with Kareem Abdul-Jabar.
      Too bad he never got the chance to play for an NBA title. A very good player and an even better person who deserved a better basketball fate than this.

Comment

So sad
        Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
        Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by rikhardur View Post
          So sad
          Indeed it is...

As an International bball fan, I sorely will miss his journeys with China NT, especially such like in 2004 Olympics and vital win against Serbia/Montenegro. Whatta tournament it was... Full of joy and heart breaking and Yao was a big part of it

Comment

Wow.

This is really disappointing. I'm not really sure what to say. Since Sabonis, Yao was my favorite player.

Yao is a player for the fan of the game of basketball (not the fan of the style of basketball). His arsenal of moves was so impressive. He could shake people away with power and muscle through them with grace. Everybody who loves the game loves to watch Yao.

Maybe if he were a little shorter, he could be playing a few more years. Maybe if he didn't carry so much weight and maybe if his defenders didn't try to break his bones every time he crossed the three point line.

I'll write more later...man...
            "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Thank you for showcasing your talents to NBA Yao Ming. We as fans are saddened by your decision, but you really need to consider your state of health. Xièxiè nǐ, zàijiàn yáomíng!
              Follow my blogs and tweets. http://dxjayrocksnotes.blogspot.com/ and https://twitter.com/dxjayrock

Road To Rio 2016.

Kwentong Gilas ~ Gilas Serye. LMAO!!!

Comment

I am also saddened by this development. Yao was among the best post scorers that I have seen.

Read About Yao Ming's Greatest Games in Yao Ming Mania
                Sacramento Kings
                HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

had good match up with the prime Shaq. its ironic that shaq and yao retired the same year. yao mings body is bang up off season after off season yao ming play for national team either olympics, WBC and qualifiers for 2 major basketball events. Rockets could've been a champion team that can contend year after year if yao is healthy. well get healthy yao..
                  Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

So so sad that we can't see the talents of arguably one of the best centers on the court again. Yao Ming has brought pride for China and asia in the last decade.Hope others can follow his path.

Once again thanks Yao Ming for what you've done for basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by behzadir View Post
                      So so sad that we can't see the talents of arguably one of the best centers on the court again. Yao Ming has brought pride for China and asia in the last decade.Hope others can follow his path.

Once again thanks Yao Ming for what you've done for basketball.
                      Very true Yao Ming did not just brought pride to China alone but to all asian specially for basketball loving filipinos.
                      Why worry when you can Pray...

Comment

Yao Ming fans in China reacted with shock and disbelief when they learned from U.S. media reports Friday night that their basketball idol has decided to retire.

But Sina Sports, a section of Sina. com, one of China's biggest web portals, says its reporter reached Zhang Mingji soon after hearing the media reports.

Zhang, who is one of Yao's agents, said Yao did not announce his retirement and did not inform the NBA and the Houston Rockets that he was doing so, as reported by the U.S. media.

Yao's agent told CNN that he is giving a news conference in Shanghai on July 20 to talk about "his future career plans."Chinese sports writers and fans believe that Yao's retirement, of course, will happen sooner or later, although they hope it will be later.

They hope the superstar could still play not only in the NBA but for the Chinese national team in the London Olympics next year.
                        Last edited by DarknessFalls; 07-09-2011, 06:39 AM.

Comment

What a sad ending for arguably one of the, if not the, best Asian bball players to ever play the game

The Chinese NT will never be the same (at least in terms of dominating the Asian bball scene like in previous years when Yao was representing China)...

We can officially add Yao's name to this list of players

Comment

Originally posted by DarknessFalls View Post
                            It's selfish and unrealistic to expect Yao play for China NT. He's done playing. And it's not like MJ, retire, come back and repeat. It's over. His body does not allow it.

I will be interested to know what the reported "plan" is. I know Yao is a smart man and has a lot of ideas. I also know the plan will have a lot to do with basketball, most likely about youth/developmental basketball.

Finally, a 10-minute video I repeated like 20+ times since yesterday. I admit I haven't followed his NBA games closely since 2003 (other than playoffs) but never did I forget how good he was. This great video is the reminder of that.

aim low, score high

Comment

Working...
                            X

Debug Information