PDA

View Full Version : Iranian young PG in US

satria_muda
05-10-2009, 06:00 PM
Philippe Zarif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhwasnOQ-Ic

here what written on youtube about him,

Philippe Zarif, 17 year old basketball player. He is one of the premiere pure point guards in Southern California. He plays for San Clemente HS, and California Basketball Club (CABC) college team. He has not committed to any colleges yet, as he may consider playing in Spain for at least a year. He may even play on the Iranian under 17 team in FIBA international championship tournament.

@ Mohsena

what do you think about him compared to the recent Iranian NT U-19 PG? Should Iran invited him for the next FIBA world cup U-19

AlbionGate
05-10-2009, 07:39 PM
He looks to be small. (5'8 or 5'9).

High school level is very variable, so highlights videos are not really reliable for a good evaluation of any player.

I consider myself going in Spain for holidays. :D

daniab
05-10-2009, 07:48 PM
Not to offend the meaning of the thread but his first and last names do not look similar to the Iranian names.
Zarif is certainly an arabic family!

mohsena2631
05-10-2009, 08:11 PM
Philippe Zarif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhwasnOQ-Ic

here what written on youtube about him,

@ Mohsena

what do you think about him compared to the recent Iranian NT U-19 PG? Should Iran invited him for the next FIBA world cup U-19

hi

as AlbionGate said, highlights videos are not reliable, but based on this video he is good. both PGs (Honarmand and Falahat) of iran U19 NT are small too !! since they are not playing in SuperLeague, I didn't see them after asian champs and I really can't compare them :confused:

another problem is his name ! as far as I know , he can't get Iranian ID with name of Philippe ! he must has a perisan name !

Not to offend the meaning of the thread but his first and last names do not look similar to the Iranian names.
Zarif is certainly an arabic family!

no, Zarif is an Iranian surname too. for example this guy is Farhad Zarif, one of the members of Iranian national volleyball team.

http://www.qudsdaily.com/archive/1384/html/2/1384-02-13/Picture%5C16-1-13.jpg

daniab
05-10-2009, 08:14 PM
no, Zarif is an Iranian surname too. for example this guy is Farhad Zarif, one of the members of Iranian national volleyball team.

http://www.qudsdaily.com/archive/1384/html/2/1384-02-13/Picture%5C16-1-13.jpg

Oh ok sorry then,i didnt know that!

mvblair
05-10-2009, 10:56 PM
Like Albion said, US high school basketball is extremely variable, especially with the smaller players. Rarely, you'll see players like LeBron or KG or Moses Malone, but most of the time, the kids need some time in college before you know they'll be a big player. Not to be crude, but they need a few years after puberty to see where they are.

Still, the kid's got a better jump shot than most kids his age!

princeofpersia1
05-11-2009, 07:02 PM
Mohsen how can you watch youtube in Iran? I was in Iran until last week and could not!?:D

mohsena2631
05-11-2009, 07:42 PM
Mohsen how can you watch youtube in Iran? I was in Iran until last week and could not!?:D

how ? easily :D:D

Youtube is not blocked by the Communication Ministry !
some stupid darepit :D ISPs blocked it themselves !!! my ISP (پارس آنلاين) is not among them :D

extra pass man
02-13-2010, 07:33 AM
Can Someone tell me where i can get more videos of this guy? ?? I really enjoy his game, i would love to watch a whole game. I wish Iran much Good Luck in world basketball. I want another Asian Championship.

I will search myself but post if you can dig up some info on this young fellow

kaiziken_pinas
02-13-2010, 09:19 AM
how ? easily :D:D

Youtube is not blocked by the Communication Ministry !
some stupid darepit :D ISPs blocked it themselves !!! my ISP (پارس آنلاين) is not among them :D

WHAT???!!!!

you're not kidding right?

the kid's good. he'll be someone to watch out soon in a few years

mohsena2631
02-13-2010, 10:56 PM
Can Someone tell me where i can get more videos of this guy? ?? I really enjoy his game, i would love to watch a whole game. I wish Iran much Good Luck in world basketball. I want another Asian Championship.

I will search myself but post if you can dig up some info on this young fellow

I think there is no way except searching in youtube !! ;)

WHAT???!!!!

you're not kidding right?

hoom !!!!??? :confused::confused:

I wrote that post on May 2009 but many things changed after the fake election in 12 June 2009 and Youtube is blocked now (off course not for me, I know how to pass)

kerdito
02-14-2010, 11:43 AM
Quick player with good dribbling and penetrating skills but he seems to be so small for a 17 years old guy and I didn't see in the video any left handed layup not even 1!!! I am not sure if that's because he lacks this side of the game or it's just not any baskets were chosen from his left side.

extra pass man
02-17-2010, 05:44 AM
Ok i found some more videos related to him on youtube. does he really not have a left hand?c'mon

extra pass man
02-21-2010, 02:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpVG-RZURqI
i dont know if you have seen it but it does have cool music and some left hand layups

kerdito
02-21-2010, 11:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpVG-RZURqI
i dont know if you have seen it but it does have cool music and some left hand layups

Thanks for the video he had 2 lefty layups in this one and one of them is on the fast break alone :P but anyway he seems to have a very good hustle and courage. I just want to see him playing at a high level or at least against known teams because we can't judge yet to see if we can compare him to any of current Iranian PGs.

extra pass man
11-04-2010, 08:11 AM
I wondering when the video is 1:46 , does Philippe commit a travel violation??

I grew up watching Nba Basketball and I know they allow three or more steps sometimes...especially with superstars like Lebron,...etc. Not the Black Mamba. I was reading the posting from Iran's NT 2011 & i ended up watching this youtube video of Philipe zarif ballin... this dude is Good, but he still looks like a kid in these videos. Im going to say his chances aren't very good with the Iran National Team. But I'm interested in the Traveling differences between FIBA and NBA or NCAA rules. I get confused when I watch ACB or FIBA regulated games when they call travels. Let me know or maybe lets start a new thread??

Fadi El-Khatib
11-04-2010, 05:40 PM
He seems like he is a good player.

He got good dribbling, GREAT penetration, nice passing, and he seems like he is a big defensive player.

But his only drawback is, his height, he is sooo small to be a basketball player.

But, we can't deny that he have potentials.

He should be invited by the Iranian Federation.

theleatherwallet
11-04-2010, 08:01 PM
Okay...

Can we drop this point. I played high school basketball(I also had shitty colleges look at me). This kid is not an extraordinary talent. In fact, I think he would have trouble making most high school teams. Again I understand some posters may not be in the US, but this is an average player by US standards. I wish him the best, and I will change my mind if he actually manages to somehow pull off a career. Somehow I know he wont.

This guy graduated in 08. I just checked his facebook. He has no college listed, and I highly doubt any legitimate D1 schools looked at him. I love seeing Iranians succeed, but this not the talent we should be looking for. IF Iran wants to invite anyone over Ali Farohkmanesh would be the first person to give a call to.

ToNy G
11-17-2010, 11:52 AM
I love haters... so im back to rip the leather wallet in two pieces.hahahah jk
wont waste anyones time.

This video is great quality, for a no name guy. But he is really fast, I'm not sure if its the video. His foot speed scares me forreal! The angles are also really good, I'd say this is the best Highlight reel on here by far. I enjoy watching any footage on any players game as long as the cat can ball. Its nice when you can go check out a like highlight after reading up on a certin player, but honestly you can't make fair jugdement or argument off highlight reels. Will any of the Asian Games be on the internet???I want to know who is the Best point Guard in Asia. Right now I like Sam DOuglas from Jordan he showed the best in Turkey...

Mercy

theleatherwallet
11-17-2010, 11:08 PM
Not a hater just a realist...

He is a good player...Is he national team quality NO, Will he ever go into a major league NO, and Will he ever be spoken of by anyone besides the youtube community NO. If any of these things change then I will gladly say I am wrong, but I am not. I'll make a bet. IF he actually goes to a major league, I will never respond on here ever again, but he won't

Hi Goga?

Mr. Basketball
11-19-2010, 05:28 AM
fellas ive done scouting before...this kid is quick and has good penetration and court vision..but that is only for this level of competition. is this a jv game or varsity?

i dont see him as a college, international or pro player at all, because he would get physically manhandled by most college level guards with even average height and strength. he struggles to get his jumpshot off against any kind of close defender, and obviously he wont be posting anyone up or scoring much inside against interior defense.

he would have to be a pass only point guard and a pressure defender on the ball, anything else he get exposed.

these highlights reels with music can make anyone look good, even an above average rec league player like this kid.

ali faroukmanesh should be the starting pg for iran...ive seen the guy dominate big time ncaa tournament games.

ToNy G
11-19-2010, 12:01 PM
fellas ive done scouting before...this kid is quick and has good penetration and court vision..but that is only for this level of competition. is this a jv game or varsity?

i dont see him as a college, international or pro player at all, because he would get physically manhandled by most college level guards with even average height and strength. he struggles to get his jumpshot off against any kind of close defender, and obviously he wont be posting anyone up or scoring much inside against interior defense.

he would have to be a pass only point guard and a pressure defender on the ball, anything else he get exposed.

these highlights reels with music can make anyone look good, even an above average rec league player like this kid.

ali faroukmanesh should be the starting pg for iran...ive seen the guy dominate big time ncaa tournament games.

Right??Ali is a 2. and he would be a great! SG for IRAN NT. its realy crazy that boy aint taken over Team iran. Unfortunatly your credability as a scout sucks homey. Zarif a polished diamond in the rough. This player is a kid, and I know he could blast Top PG's mehdi kamrani and sam douglas... I like both guards games u know, but alot of turnovers, which really kill teams in close games. He has got something about his game that makes size not a problem its called defense. You noticed hes short, but you failed to see that everything comes easy to the guy on the court, hes got a crazy skill set that allows him to enforce hes will on the game. I love it when a PG takes over the tempo of a game. Im always looking for that. Now a PG who passes...like Jkidd numbers wise the best of our era, I think alot of ballers are hung up on taking all the shots, when not everyone is kobe bryant. I personally hate playing with dudes that shot stupid shots. At bad times, ill just lose my cool, but thats why im a rec baller. This Zarif should work out with the NT...I'd love to see small dude out there. If he can do the same stuff in the video with low turnovers, and get the ball to the stars...I dont see why not.

Mr. Basketball
11-19-2010, 04:20 PM
Right??Ali is a 2. and he would be a great! SG for IRAN NT. its realy crazy that boy aint taken over Team iran. Unfortunatly your credability as a scout sucks homey. Zarif a polished diamond in the rough. This player is a kid, and I know he could blast Top PG's mehdi kamrani and sam douglas... I like both guards games u know, but alot of turnovers, which really kill teams in close games. He has got something about his game that makes size not a problem its called defense. You noticed hes short, but you failed to see that everything comes easy to the guy on the court, hes got a crazy skill set that allows him to enforce hes will on the game. I love it when a PG takes over the tempo of a game. Im always looking for that. Now a PG who passes...like Jkidd numbers wise the best of our era, I think alot of ballers are hung up on taking all the shots, when not everyone is kobe bryant. I personally hate playing with dudes that shot stupid shots. At bad times, ill just lose my cool, but thats why im a rec baller. This Zarif should work out with the NT...I'd love to see small dude out there. If he can do the same stuff in the video with low turnovers, and get the ball to the stars...I dont see why not.

you have no credibility so your opinion mean nothing to me. as you state you are a rec league baller, where as i played hs and college basketball and have done 15 years of coaching and scouting in the usa and internationally.

this isnt game tape. its a highlight reel put together by his parents or friends and edited HEAVILY. i like this kid alot. alot

but after revewing his tape again, his jumpshot and three pointer, have terrible form. thats why he drives over and over, there nothing that shows him hitting threes with textbook form.

he would have to have a three point shot to survive at 5 foot 6.

i could go on and on, but you still wouldnt get it ..

theleatherwallet
11-19-2010, 08:19 PM
---

Next of all to prove how little you know about basketball...I will point out everything in your post that made me giggle.

He could blast top PG's? Are you freaking serious? The kid would get utterly trashed. Look how tall he is and look how high he bounces the ball. He would have stripped from him in about 2 seconds.

Guard should always be controlling the tempo of the game and resetting the offense. This is not a rare occurrence. You should also being passing and shooting as a guard. I think your mixing up the guard positions

First of all you claim your rec baller. Here is the difference some of us have HS experience, DIV II scholarships, DIV I offers. We have played basketball longer than you have and are more knowledgeable about the game. I am not saying Zarif is bad player, but he is not at the level you think he is. He might get there one day, but currently he is not. IF he was a the level you believe he was then you would hear someone else talking about him. ---

I understand your a young poster and I don't want to hurt your feelings, but in short let me put it this way. If he was as good as you think he is then he would have some college offers, some DIV I team offers, and more than just a simple highlight real on youtube. He would have articles written about him and so on. He is not. I hope you understand that, and I am going to try to be taking a nicer tone since everyone on the forums here seems to have such soft skin.

ToNy G
12-26-2010, 12:51 PM
[QUOTE=theleatherwallet;524211]---

He could blast top PG's? Are you freaking serious? The kid would get utterly trashed. Look how tall he is and look how high he bounces the ball. He would have stripped from him in about 2 seconds.

Hey I have been looking and researching all the videos looking for top Iranian guards. I always watch iran in the olympics and throw up in my mouth. Even checking youtube looking at the Iranian Super League, and I really think this kid can possibly do anything any of the top guards are doing right now. The difference between them is about 10 to 15 years age difference. I'm young and im not trying to watch some older guys loose it, I'd perferr if we developed the young guns. I feel if you can develope young players with the NT to make the NBA.

First of all you claim your rec baller. Here is the difference some of us have HS experience, DIV II scholarships, DIV I offers. We have played basketball longer than you have and are more knowledgeable about the game.

one question....are you talking about your career or your resume'????
:confused:
---

theleatherwallet
12-28-2010, 11:16 PM
You would have to pay for my resume little tony.

ToNy G
12-29-2010, 02:44 AM
Leather wallet had division II scholarships if those even exist. And Divison I offers. Im not trying to argue with you or anything becuase its a complete waste of my time, but you come off as a liar and a guy who doesnt know anything.

For example: I had offers from Real Madrid to ball a few seasons of basketball...but now I'm blogging on Inter-basket.net

what I'm trying to say is you can post whatever you want but its not respectable, not realistic and its not legit.

I dont think anyone can describe how good they are in words, so go get a clip or video or something please..stop talking like your good

rikhardur
12-29-2010, 03:00 AM
Guys those discussions you can have them via PM. You're going through a personal debate, it's OT, it doesn't belong here. Thanks.

theleatherwallet
12-29-2010, 04:03 AM
lol...you still missed my point.

If he is as good as you think he is. Why does he not have any offers, any articles, or any awards. I rest my case.

Once you have some proof that he is as good as you think he is then I will continue discussing it.

ToNy G
08-16-2011, 09:39 AM
I found out where he has been. Guess your right! his numbers weren't impressive. I don't think he is starting, but hes team looks pretty decent for a junior college. So I don't think he will have the oppurtunity to play for the best national team in asia. ahha although hes flim shows the talent and players have gone pro from junior college. hes low numbers arents going to help him get anywhere. sorry guy... try Futbol.