PDA

View Full Version : PBA Trades, Releases, Sign-ups, Rumours (vol. II)

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RetiredJordanStopper
01-29-2009, 02:13 PM
i just dont get Photokina,the franchise holder of the team formerly known as Red Bull..look at this, they introduced a new product that has nothing to do to Red Bull energy drink except that it will directly compete with the european based thai brand...and top it off, they named the product Barako Bull,..eerily similar to Red Bull. I will not be surprised if the logo will also look the same as Red Bull's.

My best guess is..the Photokina's rights to distribute the Red Bull brand is ending, and they are gradually easing out the Red Bull drink in the market, replacing it with their local cheaper brand. And they're making the PBA as their marketing tool to introduce the new product. andt then, after everything is over, they will eventually disband.

rhk111
01-29-2009, 03:06 PM
Shin Dong-Pa holds the distinction of being the only Asian to ever become the Top Scoring Leader for an entire World Basketball Championship, this happened in 1970 when the tournament was held in Ljubljana, Yugoslavia. He averaged 32.6 points per game in 8 games played. In the said WBC, 13 teams participated with South Korea, then the 1969 Asian Basketball Confederation Champions, as the sole Asian representative placing 11th overall ahead of Australia and the United Arab Republic (now back as Egypt).

http://aynsports.com/images/stories/shin__yoo_pre-practice.jpg
Legendary Scorer 6'3 Shin Dong Pa and Enforcer/2nd Best Scorer 6'2 Yoo Hee Hyung of South Korea

Sh_t. If foreigners in those days had as easy an access to the NBA as they do now, that guy would've been there, no doubt.

Um, can I request for the mod to maybe spin this off to a separate thread like, "Shin Dong Pa: A Legend also to the Filipinos", or something like that.

nardy
01-29-2009, 05:04 PM
i just dont get Photokina,the franchise holder of the team formerly known as Red Bull..look at this, they introduced a new product that has nothing to do to Red Bull energy drink except that it will directly compete with the european based thai brand...and top it off, they named the product Barako Bull,..eerily similar to Red Bull. I will not be surprised if the logo will also look the same as Red Bull's.

My best guess is..the Photokina's rights to distribute the Red Bull brand is ending, and they are gradually easing out the Red Bull drink in the market, replacing it with their local cheaper brand. And they're making the PBA as their marketing tool to introduce the new product. andt then, after everything is over, they will eventually disband.

please be advised Red Bull distributed by Photokina is not actually the European based brand, it is the one coming from Thailand. "Red Bull" Brand was formulated by an Austrian. There are similar drinks in Asia Pacific and Red Bull in Asia Pacific is a different formulation to Red Bull in Europe. It has been a "club" drink in Europe for around five years. But Red Bull is also an Asian brand - Red Bull was initially developed in Thailand, and the rights were bought to market it world-wide excluding Thailand, which continued producing it's own brand. Red Bull in Thailand has a different formulae and marketing plan than the non-Thailand version.

Even though Photokina carried the Red Bull brand in the PBA and at the PBL before, this Filipino distributor did not get any Financial Support for its basketball team. The Red Bull Thai Headquarters said it is not part of their international marketing campaign to maintain a basketball team since they don't see any material income generation with said endeavor. They ruled that if the local distributor feels having a local basketball team would be a vital vehicle in Brand Awareness in the Philippine Market, they must do it out of it's own pockets. The Thai owners and their European partners are more concentrated in sponsoring F1 Racing, Muay Thai Boxing, European Football, and extreme sports.

The Political Turmoil that happened in Thailand plus the current Global Economic Crisis had affected the Financial Position of the Thai Company. With this, the relationship between the local distributor Photokina and the Red Bull Head Office soured due to earlier agreements and arrangements hit some snags.

Thus Photokina had officially severed it's ties with Red Bull Thailand and Photokina is now coming out with it's own brand.

nardy
01-29-2009, 06:42 PM
http://dynamic2.philonline.com/ManilaStandardToday_photo/new_web_logo.gif
Thursday, January 29, 2009

Burger King wants Shawn; Penny to Coke
By Rey Joble

BALIK-IMPORTS Shawn Daniels and James Penny are ready to showcase their wares anew.

Daniels, a resident import of the Air21, which will be known as Burger King starting in the Reinforced Conference, will be back for his third tour of duty in the Philippine Basketball Association.

Penny, who used to be a resident reinforcement of Red Bull, will most likely end up as import of the Coca-Cola Tigers this time around.

Coca-Cola coach Kenneth Duremdes and alternate board governor Gerard Francisco have negotiated with the agent of Penny, who led the Barakos to the 2005-2006 Fiesta Conference crown against the Marquin Chandler-led Purefoods squad.

“Kenneth and Gerard are the ones negotiating with Penny,” said Coca-Cola board governor JB Baylon. “Most likely, he will end up as our import, although we have also considered some other prospects, including Rashad Bell.”

But Bell, an outstanding player from Boston University and who played briefly for the Tigers last season, is under contract playing in the European Basketball League.

“Daniels and Penny have some sort of similarities, but the most important thing among those similarities is that both of them are team players and make their teammates look better,” said newly installed Burger King coach Yeng Guiao.

Daniels, a 6’6” banger, piloted the Express to a third-place finish in the 2005-06 Fiesta Conference, the team’s best-placed feat prior to its runner-up campaign of the same tournament last season.

RetiredJordanStopper
01-29-2009, 07:40 PM
please be advised Red Bull distributed by Photokina is not actually the European based brand, it is the one coming from Thailand. "Red Bull" Brand was formulated by an Austrian. There are similar drinks in Asia Pacific and Red Bull in Asia Pacific is a different formulation to Red Bull in Europe. It has been a "club" drink in Europe for around five years. But Red Bull is also an Asian brand - Red Bull was initially developed in Thailand, and the rights were bought to market it world-wide excluding Thailand, which continued producing it's own brand. Red Bull in Thailand has a different formulae and marketing plan than the non-Thailand version.

Even though Photokina carried the Red Bull brand in the PBA and at the PBL before, this Filipino distributor did not get any Financial Support for its basketball team. The Red Bull Thai Headquarters said it is not part of their international marketing campaign to maintain a basketball team since they don't see any material income generation with said endeavor. They ruled that if the local distributor feels having a local basketball team would be a vital vehicle in Brand Awareness in the Philippine Market, they must do it out of it's own pockets. The Thai owners and their European partners are more concentrated in sponsoring F1 Racing, Muay Thai Boxing, European Football, and extreme sports.

The Political Turmoil that happened in Thailand plus the current Global Economic Crisis had affected the Financial Position of the Thai Company. With this, the relationship between the local distributor Photokina and the Red Bull Head Office soured due to earlier agreements and arrangements hit some snags.

Thus Photokina had officially severed it's ties with Red Bull Thailand and Photokina is now coming out with it's own brand.

thanks for info..but i think it's rather lame for Photokina to use a brandname and logo similar to the Red Bull brand, and try to pass it off as one and the same product...or at the least, still affiliated with the Red Bull brand

and i still think the franchise wont last long in the PBA

ayoboi
01-30-2009, 12:40 AM
Does red bull sign arigo? I read it somewhere in the inquirer yesterday:eek:

kux904
01-30-2009, 06:48 AM
Now we know the real reason why Air 21 wants out of the PBA.

just heard in the news about the closure of Air 21 at Subic Bay which had rendered all their employees jobless. It would illogical to have a basketball team paying millions of pesos to its players while laying-off thousand of employees because you cannot pay them anymore.

I just would like to correct this. AIR21 is not closing. Fedex Subic Hub is transfering to China. We are just transfering office and We don't have employee lay-offs. Thanks.

nardy
01-30-2009, 07:36 AM
thanks for info..but i think it's rather lame for Photokina to use a brandname and logo similar to the Red Bull brand, and try to pass it off as one and the same product...or at the least, still affiliated with the Red Bull brand

and i still think the franchise wont last long in the PBA

maybe its a way to get back at Red Bull .... a revenge of a scorned partner hehehe :D

cut-throat competition at its best :p

nardy
01-30-2009, 07:44 AM
I just would like to correct this. AIR21 is not closing. Fedex Subic Hub is transfering to China. We are just transfering office and We don't have employee lay-offs. Thanks.

If that's the case, I think you better call the TV stations and news papers and have them make a correction with their news. It's all over the news about Air 21 closing in Subic and they highlighted the layoff of employees.

me personally I heard it on the air more than a couple of times in the news in GMA7 and QTV. Am not sure but it seems to be also in ANC.

On FedEx they were very specific that on March, the completion of its Hub transfer to China would be made.

The_Big_Cat
01-30-2009, 08:12 AM
If that's the case, I think you better call the TV stations and news papers and have them make a correction with their news. It's all over the news about Air 21 closing in Subic and they highlighted the layoff of employees.

me personally I heard it on the air more than a couple of times in the news in GMA7 and QTV. Am not sure but it seems to be also in ANC.

On FedEx they were very specific that on March, the completion of its Hub transfer to China would be made.

The transfer of FEDEX hub from Subic to China was announced way back in 2007. I saw it either on Channel News Asia or CNN during that time. And yes, I saw it too on ANC last year.

nardy
01-30-2009, 03:51 PM
Does red bull sign arigo? I read it somewhere in the inquirer yesterday:eek:

Arigo finds new home
by Rey Joble
Friday, January 30, 2009 11:13:00 AM

John Arigo, one of Coca-Cola's tried and tested veterans, is headed to a new home -- the young Barako Bull squad.

The 6'4" hotshot will be bringing in his basketball savvy to a Bulls team orphaned by their superstars, including its multi-titled coach.

But the arrival of Arigo may turn out to be a start of something promising for a rebuilding franchise owned by Photokina.

A player with rich championship experience, the reed thin Arigo boasts an array of offensive weapons which will be valuable for newly instaled Barako Bull mentor Leo Isaac.

Arigo was unloaded by Coca-Cola to Barako Bull without getting anything in exchange.

"He's a talented player, no doubt about it. And he is a veteran. But I cannot assess the impact of Arigo since he hasn't practiced with the team yet," said Isaac, who had his first practice session yesterday.

"I felt no pressure at all as this is a team on a rebuilding stage, but I still want a competitive team," he added.

Meanwhile, Purefoods import Reggie Larry, a standout from Boise University, is scheduled to arrive this Sunday.

nardy
01-30-2009, 04:09 PM
http://www.abante-tonite.com/img2009/abante_logo2.jpg
http://www.abante.com.ph/issue/jan3109/pictures/date.gif

"The condition of Caguiao is getting better"
by Malou Aquino

FULL STORY (http://www.abante.com.ph/issue/jan3109/sports_ma.htm)

nardy
01-30-2009, 04:37 PM
http://www.tribune.net.ph/pics/topstories_01.png

Taller Giants to anchor new bid on import Larry
By Arman Carandang
01/31/2009

Purefoods’ coach Ryan Gregorio is hoping his Giants will be in the thick of things in PBA’s next conference following the acquisition of two big offensive players and an import with apparent impressive credentials.

Gregorio was referring to Don Allado and KG Canaleta who were traded to Purefoods by Air21 in exchange for Chad Alonzo, Beau Belga and Chico Lanete last Monday.

Purefoods’ reinforcement in next month’s Fiesta Conference will be Reggie Larry, a six-foot-six swingman who played for Boise State University where he averaged 19.4 points and 9.2 rebounds in his senior year in 2007-2008.

Gregorio said he personally chose Larry to replace Marquin Chandler who, he said, has been busy playing in the Korean Basketball League.

Larry will arrive on Sunday to start practicing for Purefoods in preparation for the KFC Fiesta Conference which starts on Feb. 28.

“Reggie is one of the best all around forwards in the US. He is extremely strong and skilled with vast array of offensive moves around the basket and from the three-point line,” Gregorio said of Reggie, who shot 43 percent from beyond the arc.

“I’ve only seen his highlight reels and I hope he’s as good as advertised when he practices with us on Monday,” said Gregorio. “He’s very athletic and he can help us in the scoring department. And he can also help us defend when we ask him to defend. He can make our roster look formidable because of the changes we made in our local lineup.”

Gregorio, on the other hand, said the acquisition of KG and Allado somehow added depth in their local line-up.

“Hopefully, our roster changes will help us be competitive again till the end,” said Gregorio, whose Giants placed eighth in the current Philippine Cup being disputed by Talk ‘N Text and Alaska Milk.

“The plan is get better. Injuries have slowed us down in the last conference,” he added.

“I believe that with Don and KG (Canaleta) around, they can strengthen our local lineup,” Gregorio added. “The direction of the team right now is that I have to make do with the lineup that I have and I hope this lineup will bring us back to the championship again.”

nardy
01-30-2009, 04:59 PM
http://www.philstar.com/images/logo_PSN.gif

Clark, to be brought back by Rain or Shine
by Mae Balbuena
Updated January 31, 2009 12:00 AM

FULL STORY (http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=436120&publicationSubCategoryId=95)

nardy
01-30-2009, 05:05 PM
http://www.philstar.com/images/logo_PSN.gif

Would there be changes in San Miguel?
FREETHROWS by AC Zaldivar Updated January 31, 2009 12:00 AM
http://www.philstar.com/NewPhilstar/www/image/columnistPhotos/AC-Zaldivar.jpg

FULL STORY (http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=436125&publicationSubCategoryId=95)

nardy
01-30-2009, 05:39 PM
http://www.journal.com.ph/images/ads_house/online.gif
January 31, 2009 06:14 PM Saturday

2 imports balik-PBA
By Theodore P. Jurado

FULL STORY (http://www.journal.com.ph/index.php?issue=2009-01-31&sec=7&aid=84214)

mayfel
01-31-2009, 01:15 AM
Squads unveil import choices

By Musong R. Castillo
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 23:37:00 01/30/2009

MANILA, Philippines—Half of the 10-team field that already have reinforcements for the Philippine Cup opening Feb. 28 will be tapping a total of four returnees, with Purefoods to again parade a potentially explosive import in an effort to close out this PBA season with a bang.

Reggie Larry planes in today to join the Tender Juicy Giants, taking with him impressive collegiate credentials which coaching staff hopes would not backfire like what happened with Darius Rice.

“Aside from his offense, he is also good in rebounding, blocks and steals,” Purefoods coach Ryan Gregorio said in defending his choice. “Darius (Rice) did not have a defensive game, hopefully this one (Larry) has.”

Rice, aside from his defense being suspect, debuted with 54 points in the last Fiesta Cup for the Giants, who ended up shipping him back home anyway because he did not want to share the ball with the local superstars.

“Our choke point in the Philippine Cup was our offense,” Gregorio added. “We had problems in our offense, we were dead-last in scoring. That’s why we need someone like him (Larry).”

Coca-Cola will be bringing in former Best Import James Penny, who was released by Red Bull, while Burger King, formerly Air21, will have the burly Shawn Daniels back.

Rain or Shine, after coming off a banner tournament where they made the playoffs for the first time in franchise history, has recalled Charles Clark, while Talk ‘N Text, which is locked in a heated Philippine Cup title series with Alaska, is reportedly tapping former Coca-Cola import Rashad Bell.

Clark’s stint though, is in a short leash, so to speak, with coaching staff already making contact with a standby import in Jai Lewis, a former teammate of Gabe Norwood at George Mason.

Larry, who will start practice on Monday, averaged 19.2 points and 9.2 rebounds in his senior year with Boise State in the 2007-2008 season. He shot at a 43% clip from three-point range during that year.

Aside from a new import, Gregorio also acquired two veterans in KG Canaleta and Don Allado from Burger King.

Purefoods finished eighth in the Philippine Cup, one of its worst performances in years.

The_Big_Cat
01-31-2009, 01:50 AM
Mikee Romero was guest last night at HardBall.

He will be the board representative of Burger King in the PBA. He confirmed that Shawn Daniels will be their import in the Fiesta Cup.

Burger King is also in need of a big man to help out Homer Se and new recruits Beau Belga and Chad Alonzo. Romero also said that he will be elevating Jerwin Gaco from his Harbour PBL team into the Burger King PBA llineup. Coming also aboard from the PBL are Jorge Gallent and Junel Baculi as they will be part of Yeng Guiao's coaching staff.

Burger King owns a first round pick coming from Red Bull in their recent trade. Romero is projecting that this pick would end up in the top 3 for the 2009 PBA Draft. He was asked who among the prospect that Burger King is looking into. Romero replied "We are looking at Japeth Aguilar".

jesronne
01-31-2009, 01:58 AM

He will be the board representative of Burger King in the PBA. He confirmed that Shawn Daniels will be their import in the Fiesta Cup.

Burger King is also in need of a big man to help out Espinas and rookie Rodriguez. Romero also said that he will be elevating Jerwin Gaco from his Harbour PBL team into the Burger King PBA llineup. Coming also aboard from the PBL are Jorge Gallent and Junel Baculi as they will be part of Yeng Guiao's coaching staff.

Burger King owns a first round pick coming from Red Bull in their recent trade. Romero is projecting that this pick would end up in the top 3 for the 2009 PBA Draft. He was asked who among the prospect that Burger King is looking into. Romero replied "We are looking at Japeth Aguilar".

do burger king have espinas and larry rodriguez???

The_Big_Cat
01-31-2009, 02:01 AM
do burger king have espinas and larry rodriguez???

I'm sorry. Typo error. Morning jitters. :D

It is Homer Se, Chad Alonzo and Beau Belga.
And not Espinas and Rodriguez.

jesronne
01-31-2009, 02:05 AM
I'm sorry. Typo error. Morning jitters. :D

It is Homer Se, Chad Alonzo and Beau Belga.
And not Espinas and Rodriguez.

hehehe.... last question where do they get 2009 draft?? from redbull trade of cyrus and cruz???

mikee really like cyrus and santos, Jordan and Pippen combination daw... and they are looking to get a big man... it seems that gary david will be the traded for a big guy or winnie arboleda....

The_Big_Cat
01-31-2009, 02:09 AM
hehehe.... last question where do they get 2009 draft?? from redbull trade of cyrus and cruz???

mikee really like cyrus and santos, Jordan and Pippen combination daw... and they are looking to get a big man... it seems that gary david will be the traded for a big guy or winnie arboleda....

Yes. Probably from the Cyrus Baguio and Celino Cruz trade.
Romero also made mention that Arboleda will be their main point guard and backing him up will be Celino Cruz and Marvin Cruz.

Romero did say he was molding the Burger King team into the Chicago Bull team of the 90s of Jordan and Pippen.
Ikaw talaga! You've watched the show pala.:D

nardy
01-31-2009, 02:11 AM

Burger King is also in need of a big man to help out Espinas and rookie Rodriguez. Romero also said that he will be elevating Jerwin Gaco from his Harbour PBL team into the Burger King PBA llineup. Coming also aboard from the PBL are Jorge Gallent and Junel Baculi as they will be part of Yeng Guiao's coaching staff.

Bigcat .... I think you are getting mixed-up as Espinas and Rodriguez are with Barako Bull ....

The_Big_Cat
01-31-2009, 02:14 AM
Bigcat .... I think you are getting mixed-up as Espinas and Rodriguez are with Barako Bull ....

Yup. Typo error. I revised my post above.
A case of morning jitters. :D

reamily
01-31-2009, 12:39 PM
"Sa wakas Gaco"hehehe

trans: congrats Jerwin you deserve it i see him personally and really a good player but really undersized

mayfel
02-01-2009, 03:05 AM
It’s Macmac vs Willie for MVP

By Beth Celis
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 02:48:00 02/01/2009

MANILA, Philippines—Talk ‘N Text’s Macmac Cardona was hoping the booing and the hissing would stop once the semifinal series with San Miguel Beer was over.

As a farewell gesture after Game 5 of the semifinal series with the Beermen, Macmac saluted the booing fans at the Cuneta Astrodome and thanked them for “inspiring” him to play his best.

When the PBA returned to Araneta for the championship series between TNT and Alaska, Macmac must have been dismayed to receive a familiar welcome, this time coming from the Alaska fans.

Macmac swears he is not affected by the jeers, and if his numbers had dipped after the semifinal series, his bad back is to blame and not the opposing team’s fans.

Leading the pack in statistical points after the elimination series, Macmac dropped to fourth place behind Coke’s Asi Taulva, Sta. Lucia’s Kelly Williams and Alaska’s Willie Miller, in that order, after the semifinals. Rounding up the cast is Jayjay Helterbrand of Ginebra who’s in fifth place.

Essentially, the battle for Best Player of the Conference is now between him and two-time MVP Willie Miller, since Coke, Sta. Lucia and Ginebra are now out of the running.

“Hindi po ako napipikon, sabi nga nila, baka compliment pa yung ma-boo,” Macmac said.

http://sports.inquirer.net/inquirersports/inquirersports/view/20090201-186758/Its-Macmac-vs-Willie-for-MVP

Big Ticket
02-01-2009, 12:56 PM

i think from the gabby espinas trade...1st round pick kapalit nun eh...

nardy
02-01-2009, 02:04 PM
http://www.bworldonline.com/images/BusinessWorldOnline.gif
Friday, January 30, 2009

Around the league
http://www.bworldonline.com/images/columnists/murillo.gif

While much of the attention in the Philippine Basketball Association right now is focused on the ongoing All-Filipino Cup titular series between the Alaska Aces and Talk ’N Text Tropang Texters, the rest of the field are busy fortifying themselves. From changing team names to trading players to changing coaches, teams are hoping that by doing so would allow them to make a dent in the coming conferences.

Two teams that are coming in under a new banner starting next conference are Burger King and Barako Bull, formerly Air21 and Red Bull, respectively. Both teams have said that their name change signifies a fresh start following a major rejigging of their rosters.

Running into opposition early on, the Burger King name was allowed to replace Air21 after management presented the pertinent documents to the league board and established that Air21 and Burger King have the same owner, led by the Lina group. Staunch local hoops supporter Mikee Romero is now a stakeholder in the squad, which is good for the team and the league in general, as he brings so much passion for the sport.

Barako Bull, for its part, is now promoting a locally produced energy drink and is dropping the Thai-produced drink Red Bull. To be known as the Energy Boosters, the team will try to rise once again following the many player departures it had to go through and rumors it was leaving the PBA.

Player carousel

The player carousel was also brought early this week with the Purefoods TJ Giants, Burger King, Barangay Ginebra Kings and Barako Bull taking it for a ride. Purefoods further upgraded its frontline by acquiring the services of veteran Don Allado and high-flyer Niño Canaleta from Burger King. Allado brings added ceiling and muscle to an otherwise undersized Purefoods frontline while Canaleta gives versatility and excitement to the Giants as he can be counted to drain long thumbs and attack the hoop.

Burger King, for its part, got in return a pair of serviceable rookies in Beau Belga and Chad Alonzo and future draft picks from Purefoods. While still a work in progress, Belga and Alonzo have the potential to be good complementary players in Burger King with their all-around game. The draft picks would come in handy down the road as they could be used to "replenish" the team with fresh faces.

The Kings, meanwhile, got sophomores JC Intal and Doug Kramer from Burger King as well as guard Chico Lanete from Purefoods. Intal and Kramer are a good fit for Ginebra as they are two solid young players that have a tremendous upside to their game, which is good since some veterans of Ginebra have been injury-prone of late. The case of Lanete is a bit intriguing though what with Ginebra already having a bevy of guards.

Barako Bull enlisted the services of veteran guard John Arigo and is mulling rehiring PBL hotshot Reed Juntilla to help it get back to respectability. Good additions since Arigo and Juntilla can burn hoops, something that was conspicuously absent for the team more recently.

Coaching, too, took the carousel as calling shot now for Barako Bull is former Air21 assistant coach Leo Isaac, taking over the post vacated by Yeng Guiao, now coach of Burger King. Isaac brings a winning mind-set which the team hopes would rob off to its players of journeymen and upstarts.

Former Air21 mentor Bo Perasol, meanwhile, is now the deputy of coach Kenneth Duremdes over at the Coca-Cola Tigers. Perasol’s experience with his run-and-gun Express squad would be of good use to Coke, which has the personnel to channel Air21’s exciting attack.

With all these off-court developments happening, isn’t it reassuring as a fan and observer of the league? After what has been an eventful Philippine Cup so far, we still have more to look forward to.

Game today at the Araneta Coliseum: 7 p.m. — Alaska Aces vs. Talk ’N Text Tropang Texters (Game Two of the finals). Alaska leads series, 1-0.

nardy
02-02-2009, 02:26 PM
http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/templates/businessmirror1.0/images/logo.gif

‘Bring back the old reliables’
Monday, 02 February 2009 01:12

BURGER KING and Sta. Lucia Realty are brining in the old reliables in the Fiesta Conference of the Philippine Basketball Associaton but not Purefoods Tender Juicy, which opted to go for a new reinforcement.

Shawn Daniels will be suiting up anew for Burger King (formerly Air21) while Sta. Lucia Realty is close to sealing a deal with former Coca-Cola import Anthony Johnson.

Daniels has become sort of a resident import for the Bert Lina-owned franchise, which will try to make a big splash in the league with a new name and a new head coach in Yeng Guiao. Daniels led Air21 to a third-place finish in the 2005-06 Fiesta Cup.

Johnson was the Realtors’ import in the 2008 Brunei Cup, where they lost to LG Sakers of Korea in the finals.

“With Marlou [Aquino] and Dennis [Espino] still recuperating from their injuries, playing hurt, I think we need an import who can help us in the rebounding department,” said Realtors head coach Boyet Fernandez.

Johnson played the first nine games of the Coca-Cola Tigers of the 2007 Fiesta Conference before he was replaced by Jeff Varem.

Coke, which will try to rebound from a dismal Philippine Cup campaign after finishing ninth, is negotiating with former Red Bull import James Penny, who led the Barakos to the 2005-06 Fiesta Cup crown.

According to Coke team manager JB Baylon, coach Kenneth Duremdes and assistant Gerard Francisco are currently negotiating with Penny. If the Penny deal doesn’t push through, Baylon said they might go for their former import Rashad Bell.

The Alaska Aces are reportedly eyeing former import Rossell Ellis, while Barangay Ginebra has its eyes on former reinforcement Rod Nealy.

Rain or Shine will have to settle for Charles Clark for at least two games or until head coach Caloy Garcia could snare Jai Lewis, Gabe Norwood’s former teammate at George Mason University.

Purefoods actually seriously considered bringing back Marquin Chandler but he will only be available in April. Giants coach Ryan Gregorio said they could not afford to wait that long. Joel Orellana

nardy
02-04-2009, 02:54 PM
But there is this news that would surprise everybody, I got this in the Symbianize forums:

http://www.symbianize.com/image.php?u=24013&dateline=1220541947http://tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:uXA-P3UiFDTnWM:http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/6816/symbianizelogo6kg3.jpg
23rd Dec '08 Tue, 08:00

* In December 19 2008 Mark Caguioa was signed by the Toronto Raptors despite ailing an injury on both of his knees it was said that the Raptors Organization has been scouting Caguioa since 2004 and has been impressed of his performance. Caguioa is said to be excited playing in the NBA being the first Filipino to do that feat but still remains sad because he has to leave the Barangay Ginebra Kings the team he played for 7 years and the fans and his teammates as well. As of this date no timetable has been set on when will Caguioa start playing for the Toronto Raptors. He is expected to be the reliever of Jose' Calderon on the point guard position.

Could anybody ask Danny Espiritu about the true status of Mark Caguiao?

sergio23
02-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Dream and impossiple dream...lalalalal

nardy
02-04-2009, 03:06 PM
http://images.gmanews.tv/gmanewstvlogo.jpg

TNT, Coke fight for import Bell’s services
02/04/2009 | 05:16 PM

MANILA, Philippines – Talk ‘N Text and Coca-Cola are in a tug-of-war for the services of Boston College Eagles standout Rashad Bell.

Bell, who played briefly for the Tigers in the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA), is reportedly being wooed by the Tropang Texters to become the team’s import in the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) Reinforced Conference that starts February 28.

The 6-foot-6 standout is having an outstanding season playing in the European League in Hungary where he is the tournament’s leading scorer with nearly 25 points per game. He is also second in rebounds with an 8.3 average.

Talk ‘N Text, which is currently battling Alaska in the ongoing KFC PBA Philippine Cup best-of-seven championship series, is very much impressed on Bell.

But Coca-Cola board governor JB Baylon said his team has the rights on the services of Bell, who won’t be available until March because of his commitment in the Hungary.

This is the reason why the Tigers opted to tap former Red Bull import James Penny, who led the Barakos to the 2005-2006 Fiesta Conference crown against the Marquin Chandler-led Purefoods squad.

Baylon said he is constantly communicating with Bell.

“He sent me an e-mail and he denied that he has signed with any of the teams in the PBA," said Baylon. “He promised to give me the first crack."

“I am in touch with him and he has told me all the rumors are false. I am sure he will ask permission first before he signs up with any team," he added.

Bell is expected to come to the Philippines after his European League stint to become the Tigers’ standby import. From there, the coaching staff will decide whether to keep Penny or replace him with their previous import.

http://dev.itworx.hu/webimages/hirbox/141_6329_bellhatter.jpg

nardy
02-04-2009, 03:18 PM
Dream and impossiple dream...lalalalal

I do agree it might be a farce

but there's a remote possibility because remember the Senior Director of player personnel for the Toronto Raptors is no other than Jim Kelly who was a consultant of the Presto Tivoli PBA team in the 1990s. He is now also acting as the chief North America scout for the SBP.

Kelly is in a position that has the power in hiring players for the Raptors organization. And since there is a large Filipino population in Toronto, that could be a great marketing coup if that is indeed true. Look at the LA Lakers, ever since they gotten Sun Yue even if he is not playing there is a significant increase in the number of Chinese who bought season tickets.

Bryan Colangelo, the President and General Manager of the Toronto Raptors, is known for taking risks in hiring international players since his time with the Phoenix Suns. He is credited in getting Steve Nash, Leandro Barbosa, Raja Bell, Boris Diaw among others into Phoenix. In Toronto he is the one who gotten Andrea Bargnani, Nathan Jawai, Roko Ukic, Uros Slokar, Jorge Garbajosa, Pape Sow, Rasho Nesterovič and Carlos Delfino. In an interview with Colangelo here's what he says about international players:

"By virtue of these players coming over, facing stern odds with respect to acclimating to the NBA, leaving their home countries and sometimes families, there are all sorts of circumstances they overcome to perform at a very high level.''

"Roughly 20 percent of the league is foreign born, and that number will continue to rise as the talent in the rest of the world continues to develop," Colangelo said. "And the players and programs there continue to focus on the fundamentals of the game - because there is absolutely a premium on players that can dribble, pass and shoot."

Few remember that it's been 23 years since Georgi Glouchkov, the "Balkan Banger," became the first foreign-born player in the NBA when then-general manager Jerry Colangelo brought him to the Phoenix Suns. Jerry is the father of Bryan.

And most importantly historically the Raptors top the NBA in foreign-born players.

jesronne
02-05-2009, 01:43 AM
i also heard from snow badua that by getting arigo to barako, barako also promises that they will not get penny as an import

The_Big_Cat
02-05-2009, 03:25 AM
After being suspended by Red Bull prior to the current PBA Philippine Cup, Reed Juntilla is now signed on the active roster of Red Bull for the PBA Fiesta Cup scheduled to start late February.

nardy
02-05-2009, 03:37 AM
After being suspended by Red Bull prior to the current PBA Philippine Cup, Reed Juntilla is now signed on the active roster of Red Bull for the PBA Fiesta Cup scheduled to start late February.

Andy Jao actually talked to Reed that the Photokina management is willing to give him another chance and they would no longer pursue a case against him since he abadoned the team when he was under a live contract. Juntilla just had a "heart" problem before which he could not handle since the other person is from afar, but based on his recent PBL showing, he seems to be more focused right now.

With him and Arigo, that would give a different kind of Barako Bull to expect this coming conference under Coach Leo Isaac.

nardy
02-05-2009, 12:18 PM
Thursday, February 5, 2009

Jong eyes big man
By Rey Joble

GINEBRA coach Jong Uichico is keeping his options open to get a quality big man for the Philippine Basketball Association Reinforced Conference.

“Anything can happen,” Uichico told Standard Today via an overseas call from Bangkok, where he is spending his vacation before plunging back to action. “Our priority, just in case there will be offers, is to get a quality big man.”

While admitting that the Kings are open for negotiation for a quality big man, the seven-time PBA champion coach squelched rumors that Mark Caguioa, one of the Gin Kings’ spark plug, will be traded in favor of his former player, Danny Seigle of San Miguel Beer. There were unconfirmed reports that the two players will shift teams with the help of a conduit squad.

“That’s not true,” said Uichico. “We are, in fact, preparing for the return of Mark, but I still have to speak with the doctors in the United States because he was advised to stay there a little longer. But he is improving right now.”

Caguioa suffered a knee injury and was treated by National Basketball Association doctor Steve Lombardo of the Los Angeles Lakers. The former Rookie of the Year is expected to be here early March and anchor his team’s title retention bid.

Uichico was also happy to get quality players like JC Intal, Chico Lanete and Doug Kramer, whom the Kings acquired via a three-way trade with sister team Purefoods and Burger King last month.

“They will be a big help. JC brings us his versatility of playing both the big guard and small forward spots, and we really need him since Mark is on the injured list. Doug will provide us the intangibles up front, while Chico can also play both guard spots, which will stabilize our running game and compliment Ronald Tubid and Jayjay Helterbrand,” added Uichico.

Uichico also said that he will decide on who will be the team’s import by the end of the week. He already has a short list of candidates, which include former import Rod Nealy.

“He is one of the candidates,” said Uichico, referring to Nealy. “But there are a lot of new guys, mostly coming from the NBA’s Developmental League. It’s good to have a familiar face on the list because you can always tap him anytime.”

The_Big_Cat
02-05-2009, 12:45 PM
Ginebra coach Jong Uichico, in a radio interview a few days ago, confirmed that their first choice (import) is Rod Nealy.

Silent Killer
02-05-2009, 12:55 PM
1-2 punch for Red Bull. hope arigo change his game under Red Bull. he must distribute the ball to his team mates.

nardy
02-05-2009, 07:39 PM
http://opinion.inquirer.net/images/masthead01.gifhttp://opinion.inquirer.net/images/mast_nws.jpg

Harbour may lose Juntilla for Game 2
By Cedelf P. Tupas, Jasmine W. Payo
First Posted 02:37:00 02/05/2009

MANILA, Philippines—A cloud of doubt hovers on Harbour Centre leading scorer Reed Juntilla as the Batang Pier shoot for a 2-0 lead against Magnolia Purewater on Thursday in their best-of-five playoffs for the PBL PG Flex Linoleum championship at the Ynares Sports Arena in Pasig City.

Two victories away from an unprecedented sixth straight championship, the Batang Pier could be without Juntilla, whose contract with Red Bull in the PBA was reactivated on Feb. 1.

Juntilla, whose contract with Red Bull ends in July 2010, was suspended by the Philippine Basketball Association team for failing to attend practices and play in games in September last year.

The Cebuano hotshot then signed with Harbour Centre to play for the conference which started last October.

But Red Bull lifted the suspension on Juntilla on Feb. 1, after the player apologized to the team management and officially informed the Philippine Basketball League of this development on Wednesday.

Red Bull also informed PBA commissioner Sonny Barrios and Robert Non, San Miguel’s governor in the PBA, that it had activated Juntilla in its roster.

Magnolia Purewater is the team of the San Miguel franchise in the PBL.

Harbour Centre owner Mikee Romero said Juntilla was eligible to play for the Batang Pier when the team signed him before the start of the conference.

Romero’s opinion was supported by PBL executive director Butch Maniego, who said there is no rule in the league prohibiting players with live contracts in the PBA to see action in the PBL.

“The PBA and the PBL are two separate entities,” said Romero, who is also chair of the PBL.

“The rules of one league cannot be imposed on the other. So we’ll leave it up to Juntilla.”

Romero also questioned the timing of the lifting of Juntilla’s suspension.

“It’s just a little bit fishy that on the 11th hour, this will happen,” Romero said.

“There’s a ploy underneath it. The league has been going on for three months and then they’ll just activate him during the Finals.”

Juntilla’s agent, Danny Espiritu, told the Philippine Daily Inquirer on Wednesday night that Romero was set to meet with Red Bull team manager Andy Jao to discuss Juntilla’s case.

“With or without Reed, we’ll fight the battle on court and not in the boardroom. We never back down in any fight. It’s very unfair, but we’ll continue to fight on court,” said Romero.

The Batang Pier took the series opener, 84-71, behind strong performances from reserves Edwin Asoro and JR Cawaling in the final quarter.

“I’m confident of our chances but I can’t say if we can sweep Magnolia,” Harbour Centre coach Jorge Gallent said.

The_Big_Cat
02-06-2009, 02:29 AM
http://opinion.inquirer.net/images/masthead01.gifhttp://opinion.inquirer.net/images/mast_nws.jpg

Harbour may lose Juntilla for Game 2
By Cedelf P. Tupas, Jasmine W. Payo
First Posted 02:37:00 02/05/2009

MANILA, Philippines—A cloud of doubt hovers on Harbour Centre leading scorer Reed Juntilla as the Batang Pier shoot for a 2-0 lead against Magnolia Purewater on Thursday in their best-of-five playoffs for the PBL PG Flex Linoleum championship at the Ynares Sports Arena in Pasig City.

Two victories away from an unprecedented sixth straight championship, the Batang Pier could be without Juntilla, whose contract with Red Bull in the PBA was reactivated on Feb. 1.

Juntilla, whose contract with Red Bull ends in July 2010, was suspended by the Philippine Basketball Association team for failing to attend practices and play in games in September last year.

The Cebuano hotshot then signed with Harbour Centre to play for the conference which started last October.

But Red Bull lifted the suspension on Juntilla on Feb. 1, after the player apologized to the team management and officially informed the Philippine Basketball League of this development on Wednesday.

Red Bull also informed PBA commissioner Sonny Barrios and Robert Non, San Miguel’s governor in the PBA, that it had activated Juntilla in its roster.

Magnolia Purewater is the team of the San Miguel franchise in the PBL.

Harbour Centre owner Mikee Romero said Juntilla was eligible to play for the Batang Pier when the team signed him before the start of the conference.

Romero’s opinion was supported by PBL executive director Butch Maniego, who said there is no rule in the league prohibiting players with live contracts in the PBA to see action in the PBL.

“The PBA and the PBL are two separate entities,” said Romero, who is also chair of the PBL.

“The rules of one league cannot be imposed on the other. So we’ll leave it up to Juntilla.”

Romero also questioned the timing of the lifting of Juntilla’s suspension.

“It’s just a little bit fishy that on the 11th hour, this will happen,” Romero said.

“There’s a ploy underneath it. The league has been going on for three months and then they’ll just activate him during the Finals.”

Juntilla’s agent, Danny Espiritu, told the Philippine Daily Inquirer on Wednesday night that Romero was set to meet with Red Bull team manager Andy Jao to discuss Juntilla’s case.

“With or without Reed, we’ll fight the battle on court and not in the boardroom. We never back down in any fight. It’s very unfair, but we’ll continue to fight on court,” said Romero.

The Batang Pier took the series opener, 84-71, behind strong performances from reserves Edwin Asoro and JR Cawaling in the final quarter.

“I’m confident of our chances but I can’t say if we can sweep Magnolia,” Harbour Centre coach Jorge Gallent said.

This controversy was already resolved last February 4 at the halftime game between SMART-GILAS and Burger King. Mikee Romero and Andy Jao met at halftime. Juntilla will be allowed by Red Bull to play for the remainder of the PBL Finals.

jesronne
02-07-2009, 03:24 AM

TNT, Coke fight for import Bell’s services
02/04/2009 | 05:16 PM

MANILA, Philippines – Talk ‘N Text and Coca-Cola are in a tug-of-war for the services of Boston College Eagles standout Rashad Bell.

Bell, who played briefly for the Tigers in the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA), is reportedly being wooed by the Tropang Texters to become the team’s import in the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) Reinforced Conference that starts February 28.

The 6-foot-6 standout is having an outstanding season playing in the European League in Hungary where he is the tournament’s leading scorer with nearly 25 points per game. He is also second in rebounds with an 8.3 average.

Talk ‘N Text, which is currently battling Alaska in the ongoing KFC PBA Philippine Cup best-of-seven championship series, is very much impressed on Bell.

But Coca-Cola board governor JB Baylon said his team has the rights on the services of Bell, who won’t be available until March because of his commitment in the Hungary.

This is the reason why the Tigers opted to tap former Red Bull import James Penny, who led the Barakos to the 2005-2006 Fiesta Conference crown against the Marquin Chandler-led Purefoods squad.

Baylon said he is constantly communicating with Bell.

“He sent me an e-mail and he denied that he has signed with any of the teams in the PBA," said Baylon. “He promised to give me the first crack."

“I am in touch with him and he has told me all the rumors are false. I am sure he will ask permission first before he signs up with any team," he added.

Bell is expected to come to the Philippines after his European League stint to become the Tigers’ standby import. From there, the coaching staff will decide whether to keep Penny or replace him with their previous import.

http://dev.itworx.hu/webimages/hirbox/141_6329_bellhatter.jpg

snow badua of NBN sports said that rashad bell is already with TNT... can someone confirm this?
i guess it will be a great pressure on chot if they get rashad bell... because he is expected to carry the team to the finals...

pepman
02-09-2009, 01:54 PM
Bad move by Reyes. Reyes should get my main man, JJ Sullinger. He's still availbale. But he does not play today. Go over his Facebook.

RetiredJordanStopper
02-09-2009, 01:57 PM
offtopic:

Pepman, in case you havent notice..you're bestfriend Big Ticket is now an InterBsket forumer :D:D:D

alex15
02-09-2009, 10:04 PM
Bad move by Reyes. Reyes should get my main man, JJ Sullinger. He's still availbale. But he does not play today. Go over his Facebook.

He's brother is one of the best high school prospect it the US....

SMB should get Super JJ:D

jesronne
02-11-2009, 02:17 AM
crisano is now a barako bull....

Big Ticket
02-11-2009, 08:02 AM

how did sullinger became your main man?

pepman
02-11-2009, 10:18 AM
offtopic:

Pepman, in case you havent notice..you're bestfriend Big Ticket is now an InterBsket forumer :D:D:D

I noticed that. And I have to be very careful.

BT,
He's my main man because he's really good when playing basketball. That's it!

bolabasket
02-12-2009, 08:13 AM
Alex Crisano is now practicing with Red Bull....

Big Ticket
02-12-2009, 08:19 AM
I noticed that. And I have to be very careful.

BT,
He's my main man because he's really good when playing basketball. That's it!

can't wait for yumemi to sign up here too...haha

nardy
02-23-2009, 02:33 PM

Purefoods wants Pingris back, SMB says no
02/23/2009 | 09:00 PM

Email this | Email the Editor | Print | ShareThisMANILA, Philippines – Purefoods coach Ryan Gregorio is serious in having Marc Pingris back in a Giants uniform but the prized forward’s current mentor is not keen of letting him go.

It’s no surprise why Gregorio wants Pingris, who was acquired in a three-way trade that sent Enrico Villanueva to Purefoods in the middle of 2008, back in the TJ Giants’ roster.

Why not? With Pingris playing on the team for three seasons, the Giants made it to the finals three times and captured the championship of the 2005-2006 Philippine Cup.

Another three-way trade involving San Miguel Beer and another conduit squad could bring the hardworking, former most improved player awardee back to the Giants fold,.

But Tanquincen is not welcome to the idea. Not with former rookie of the year Danny Seigle and deadshot veteran swingman Lordy Tugade on the injured list.

“Ayaw pa ni Siot," said Gregorio, referring to Tanquingcen’s rejection of the supposed trade.

The Giants also became one of the busiest teams on the trading table after being eliminated early in this year’s Philippine Cup acquiring blue-chip players like Don Allado and KG Canaleta from the Air21 Express via a three-way trade that also involved sister team Ginebra.

With free agent guard Al Vergara expected to be signed up and his import definitely to be included on the roster, Gregorio is now facing the dilemma of unloading some of his key players on his already congested line-up.

Gregorio didn’t confirm whom he will unload, but said he will finalize the line-up Tuesday.

But a highly-placed source from the team said that anyone from its forwards will be put on the trading block.

Worse, Giants import Brian Hamilton, a former New Jersey Nets free agent swingman, also plays the small forward spot leaving Canaleta, Rich Alvarez, Aaron Aban, Jondan Salvador and Richard Yee fighting for playing minutes.

Hamilton, who was cut by the Nets in September last year, recently played for the Utah Flash in the National Basketball Developmental League. He arrived Monday and will join the Giants in practice Tuesday.

Coke_Hero
02-23-2009, 08:11 PM
So, is this the final pick for PF? I was actually thinking that they could get James Penny since JJ Sullinger would play for Coke. I mean, Penny's a proven winner already.

The_Big_Cat
02-24-2009, 01:56 AM

Purefoods wants Pingris back, SMB says no
02/23/2009 | 09:00 PM

Email this | Email the Editor | Print | ShareThisMANILA, Philippines – Purefoods coach Ryan Gregorio is serious in having Marc Pingris back in a Giants uniform but the prized forward’s current mentor is not keen of letting him go.

It’s no surprise why Gregorio wants Pingris, who was acquired in a three-way trade that sent Enrico Villanueva to Purefoods in the middle of 2008, back in the TJ Giants’ roster.

Why not? With Pingris playing on the team for three seasons, the Giants made it to the finals three times and captured the championship of the 2005-2006 Philippine Cup.

Another three-way trade involving San Miguel Beer and another conduit squad could bring the hardworking, former most improved player awardee back to the Giants fold,.

But Tanquincen is not welcome to the idea. Not with former rookie of the year Danny Seigle and deadshot veteran swingman Lordy Tugade on the injured list.

“Ayaw pa ni Siot," said Gregorio, referring to Tanquingcen’s rejection of the supposed trade.

The Giants also became one of the busiest teams on the trading table after being eliminated early in this year’s Philippine Cup acquiring blue-chip players like Don Allado and KG Canaleta from the Air21 Express via a three-way trade that also involved sister team Ginebra.

With free agent guard Al Vergara expected to be signed up and his import definitely to be included on the roster, Gregorio is now facing the dilemma of unloading some of his key players on his already congested line-up.

Gregorio didn’t confirm whom he will unload, but said he will finalize the line-up Tuesday.

But a highly-placed source from the team said that anyone from its forwards will be put on the trading block.

Worse, Giants import Brian Hamilton, a former New Jersey Nets free agent swingman, also plays the small forward spot leaving Canaleta, Rich Alvarez, Aaron Aban, Jondan Salvador and Richard Yee fighting for playing minutes.

Hamilton, who was cut by the Nets in September last year, recently played for the Utah Flash in the National Basketball Developmental League. He arrived Monday and will join the Giants in practice Tuesday.

Purefoods has too many big men.
Why not trade one of them to get a quality guard?
Al Vergara has inked a contract to play for Purefoods in the coming conference.

nardy
02-24-2009, 02:11 AM
Purefoods has too many big men.
Why not trade one of them to get a quality guard?
Al Vergara has inked a contract to play for Purefoods in the coming conference.

the trade request case of Pingris is very different from normal since it is more on the personal than basketball and business reasons. Marc feels really more at home with Purefoods than San Miguel and is very close to Ryan Gregorio. Marc frequents the Gregorio household and is actually the one telling Ryan that he wants to come back to Purefoods.

So Ryan trading for Marc is more like of a father getting a son back home.

Problem is Siot has other plans.

jesronne
02-24-2009, 07:07 AM
the trade request case of Pingris is very different from normal since it is more on the personal than basketball and business reasons. Marc feels really more at home with Purefoods than San Miguel and is very close to Ryan Gregorio. Marc frequents the Gregorio household and is actually the one telling Ryan that he wants to come back to Purefoods.

So Ryan trading for Marc is more like of a father getting a son back home.

Problem is Siot has other plans.

ryan gregorio really likes cute guys... roger yap, james yap, jondan, allado, marc pingris, i forgot the name of the other guy he plays PF, enrico...

ankle breaker
02-24-2009, 02:33 PM
it was reported earlier today in abs-cbn's tv patrol world that a certain francisco henares was gunned down by motorcycle riding gunmen. he was said to be a former ateneo and MICAA standout alongside his brother. does somebody have full details about the incident? this is very unfortunate for the whole basketball community here in RP.

ankle breaker
02-24-2009, 02:41 PM
it was reported by abs-cbn's tv patrol world earlier today that francisco henares, a former ateneo and MICAA standout was gunned down and killed. hopefully someone can give more details about the incident and the victim. it's a sorry loss for RP basketball community i would say.

Silent Killer
02-24-2009, 05:29 PM
Marc pingris game suits well with Giants not with SMB. his game seems lost when he's traded to SMB.

regarding with the import. that's the problem when you impose a such a height of import. the board or the commish itself must set an unlimited height of import instead of 6'6 limit.

C2Hamm
02-25-2009, 03:36 AM
ryan gregorio really likes cute guys... roger yap, james yap, jondan, allado, marc pingris, i forgot the name of the other guy he plays PF, enrico...

who else do you think is cute enough to play for Coach Ryan?:D

TrueBluePinoy
02-25-2009, 04:32 AM

Topex Robinson.

bolabasket
02-25-2009, 04:44 AM
Mark Yee of MisOr Meteors in Liga has reportedly been signed by Burger King

UnitedAmeircanTikiTiki
02-25-2009, 07:05 AM

Mark Andaya :D

jesronne
02-26-2009, 08:59 AM
Coach Ryan's Yummies:

Jondan Salvador
James Yap
Paolo Bugia
Roger Yap
Don Allado
Kerby Raymundo
Rich Alvarez
Richard Yee
PJ Simon
Aaron Aban
Rommel Adducul

Big Ticket
02-26-2009, 09:46 AM
leo avenido and dale singson are back with coca-cola

The_Big_Cat
02-27-2009, 02:51 AM

What can I say Ryan likes hotdogs! :D

It is always the trademark of Purefoods ever since they barged into the PBA in 1988 to have the pretty boys in their lineup. Among the popular back then were Alvin Patrimonio, Vince Hizon and Joey Sta. Maria.

aarpee
02-28-2009, 12:59 AM
What can I say Ryan likes hotdogs! :D

It is always the trademark of Purefoods ever since they barged into the PBA in 1988 to have the pretty boys in their lineup. Among the popular back then were Alvin Patrimonio, Vince Hizon and Joey Sta. Maria.

no wonder..most PF players' girls are celebs

Jyap-Kris aquino
MPingris(used to be PF)-danica sotto
dAllado-maricar de mesa
RAlvarez-kyla
:D

mj_pure_playa
03-15-2009, 11:22 PM
Mark Andaya :D

ahaha... This one is really funny...!:p

ayoboi
03-21-2009, 01:50 PM
Purefoods was dumped earlier by Rain or Shine awhile ago here in Victorias City, their new import Jamal Thorpe can't stand the hulking Jai Lewis, Purefoods bigmen all went to foul trouble because of Lewis, all I can say that maybe its time to replace Coach Ryan, let Jorge Gallent do the chores.

jesronne
03-21-2009, 02:08 PM
i aggree hes 1 on 1 style is a thing in the past...

nardy
03-29-2009, 03:12 PM

‘The Spark’ returns?
Written by Joel Orellana / Reporter
Sunday, 29 March 2009 20:41

http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/images/stories/Daily_Images/2009/March/03302009/sports-pic02.jpg
MARK CAGUIOA would be a big boost to Kings’ campaign.

MARK CAGUIOA is returning to the country after the Holy Week break but whether he would finally suit up for the Barangay Ginebra Kings in the Motolite Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) Fiesta Conference is uncertain.

The BusinessMirror learned of Caguioa’s impending return from the United States where he is recuperating from an injury. Kings coach Jong Uichico, however, did not guarantee if the six-foot-one spitfire would be playing.

“If he’ll be here, it means he has fully recovered. But if he’s not here, it means hindi pa rin siya ready,” Uichico told the BusinessMirror on Sunday. “Depende kasi sa progress ng kanyang injury.”

Caguioa, the 2007 Philippine Cup Best Player of the Conference, has not played this 2008-09 season because of tendinitis in both knees.

Uichico said in the previous All-Filipino conference that the 29-year-old Caguioa will miss the entire season.

But the BusinessMirror learned Caguioa has recovered sooner than expected.

“Maybe,” said Uichico when asked if Caguioa will immediately be inserted in the Kings lineup in case his returns. “It really depends [on the status of his recovery].”

Caguioa’s return would be a big boost to the Kings’ dwindling campaign in the Fiesta Cup where they are the defending champions. They are currently sharing the bottom with Barako Bull, Alaska and Coca-Cola with a 2-5 win-loss card.

Ginebra snapped its five-game losing streak with a 111-103 conquest of the Energy Boosters on Saturday at the Panabo Multipurpose Tourism, Cultural & Sports Center in Panabo City in Davao del Norte.

But Uichico admitted it will be difficult for the team to make a winning run with only a few healthy players on the lineup. Veteran center Eric Menk is not yet in full shape, while Junthy Valenzuela hurt his knee in their last Philippine Cup series against San Miguel Beer.

The Kings actually will have an 18-day break before plunging into action again on April 17, against the streaking Rain or Shine at the Araneta Coliseum.

nardy
03-30-2009, 01:10 PM
After winning a championship in All Filipino Cup, Jason Castro might land to another team in the midst or after the Fiesta Conference. Agent/Manager Danny Espiritu said on the interview "Even though he won a championship with TalkNText, I want my player to earn more than he deserves to play in the PBA. The Talk N Text system won't fit his style of game where Jimmy Alapag and some other star studded players make his game down and inconsistent."

Jason Castro said that he's not happy with the way he plays with his role for the Talk 'N Text Team.

Purefoods Tender Juicy Giants has already submitted their proposal to acquire Jason Castro where Purefoods Tender Juicy Giants are willing to give up PJ Simon, James Yap and Al Vergara via three way trade to San Miguel Beermen and Talk 'N Text where Jason Castro, Rob Reyes and Marc Pingris are going to Purefoods while Ren Ren Ritualo, Jondan Salvador to San Miguel Beermen then Talk N Text will have Al Vergara, PJ Simon, 1st and 2nd round draft pick of the draft from SMB, TNT and Purefoods.

The_Big_Cat
03-30-2009, 01:16 PM
^That is interesting.

Purefoods willing to give up their MVP James Yap?
So, Purefoods will even get bigger by receiving Rob Reyes and Marc Pingris if that deal materializes.

jesronne
03-30-2009, 01:22 PM
After winning a championship in All Filipino Cup, Jason Castro might land to another team in the midst or after the Fiesta Conference. Agent/Manager Danny Espiritu said on the interview "Even though he won a championship with TalkNText, I want my player to earn more than he deserves to play in the PBA. The Talk N Text system won't fit his style of game where Jimmy Alapag and some other star studded players make his game down and inconsistent."

Jason Castro said that he's not happy with the way he plays with his role for the Talk 'N Text Team.

Purefoods Tender Juicy Giants has already submitted their proposal to acquire Jason Castro where Purefoods Tender Juicy Giants are willing to give up PJ Simon, James Yap and Al Vergara via three way trade to San Miguel Beermen and Talk 'N Text where Jason Castro, Rob Reyes and Marc Pingris are going to Purefoods while Ren Ren Ritualo, Jondan Salvador to San Miguel Beermen then Talk N Text will have Al Vergara, PJ Simon, 1st and 2nd round draft pick of the draft from SMB, TNT and Purefoods.

if this push true then i think it will be a 1 sided deal for purefoods.. ren ren and jondan will end in the bench in SMB... while PJ simon will compete for his minutes against cardona

amamangloy
03-30-2009, 02:01 PM
^That is interesting.

Purefoods willing to give up their MVP James Yap?
So, Purefoods will even get bigger by receiving Rob Reyes and Marc Pingris if that deal materializes.

it may be a typo....

mayfel
03-30-2009, 02:55 PM

if it is push through castro will become the starting point guard of the purefoods and it will solidify thier needs in forwards position with pingris back
its a sure win for the tj giants

ankle breaker
03-30-2009, 04:46 PM
im not sure if this trade proposal will materialize. SMB needs marc pingris more now that the 2 danny's future are not certain.

nardy
03-30-2009, 05:37 PM
im not sure if this trade proposal will materialize. SMB needs marc pingris more now that the 2 danny's future are not certain.

but based on a slip of Macmac Cardona in a TV Interview there is indeed a problem within TNT. With a star-studded line-up it is normal for players to complain about their role and playing time.

Heard there's also trouble within the Purefoods camp.

Silent Killer
03-30-2009, 06:18 PM
this is a good deal. i think PF will be dumb if they trade their star player. i think that's roger yap. pingris will reunite with coach ryan and PF. if this pish through, the frontcourt of PF will be good. Pingris is one of the energizers for PF during the championship conference for PF. and for jason castro. he'll find a playing time with PF. a good combination with james will be deadly. we'll see the other aspects of the game for jason castro. Rob Reyes is one good of a player when he's in harbour centre. he just needs playing time. PF is not a perfect team for him as he'll fight his minutes with allado and pingris plus adducul and the import as well. perfect team for Rob reyes will be Barako Bull as they need help for frontcourt.

i think jondan salvador can still earn a playing time for SMB as DI is still injured and DP is in and out of SMB lineup.

if this pushthrough, simon, not only he fights playing time with cardona but possible ritualo and dillinger. so a bad spot for simon.

so its time for PBA to add more teams. it's always sad to see some talented players from amateur didnt get some minutes they want. they just see their minutes on the bench. so at least 2 more teams will do. 4 will be much more better to see more good amateur players or other players that doesnt have playing will see theirs in this expansion teams.

nardy
03-30-2009, 07:07 PM
this is a good deal. i think PF will be dumb if they trade their star player. i think that's roger yap. pingris will reunite with coach ryan and PF. if this pish through, the frontcourt of PF will be good. Pingris is one of the energizers for PF during the championship conference for PF. and for jason castro. he'll find a playing time with PF. a good combination with james will be deadly. we'll see the other aspects of the game for jason castro. Rob Reyes is one good of a player when he's in harbour centre. he just needs playing time. PF is not a perfect team for him as he'll fight his minutes with allado and pingris plus adducul and the import as well. perfect team for Rob reyes will be Barako Bull as they need help for frontcourt.

i think jondan salvador can still earn a playing time for SMB as DI is still injured and DP is in and out of SMB lineup.

if this pushthrough, simon, not only he fights playing time with cardona but possible ritualo and dillinger. so a bad spot for simon.

so its time for PBA to add more teams. it's always sad to see some talented players from amateur didnt get some minutes they want. they just see their minutes on the bench. so at least 2 more teams will do. 4 will be much more better to see more good amateur players or other players that doesnt have playing will see theirs in this expansion teams.

it is wishful thinking that an expansion team more so 4 teams would get added to the PBA. With the World Financial Crisis I do not know how that would happen. There are a number of companies either shutting down or downsizing it's operations. With the high cost of maintaining a Professional Basketball Team with minimal amount of returns, it would be very difficult for such thing to happen epecially if the players does not agree to lower their asking prices.

Also heard there are problems in the PBL and Liga as there are teams that are already delayed in paying their players. Some teams are actually looking into taking a leave of absence instead of disbanding completely.

This is not actually happening only locally as there are a number of basketball teams all over the world had declared bankruptcy and had disbanded.

jesronne
03-31-2009, 12:25 AM
it is wishful thinking that an expansion team more so 4 teams would get added to the PBA. With the World Financial Crisis I do not know how that would happen. There are a number of companies either shutting down or downsizing it's operations. With the high cost of maintaining a Professional Basketball Team with minimal amount of returns, it would be very difficult for such thing to happen epecially if the players does not agree to lower their asking prices.

Also heard there are problems in the PBL and Liga as there are teams that are already delayed in paying their players. Some teams are actually looking into taking a leave of absence instead of disbanding completely.

This is not actually happening only locally as there are a number of basketball teams all over the world had declared bankruptcy and had disbanded.

i think there will be only 5 teams in the PBL next conference... PBA teams should lower its salary from 150,000 per month for a rookie they should make it for 75 to 100k.. and also lower the amount that will be paid by the company when it enter the PBA

regierr
03-31-2009, 01:10 AM
but based on a slip of Macmac Cardona in a TV Interview there is indeed a problem within TNT. With a star-studded line-up it is normal for players to complain about their role and playing time.

Heard there's also trouble within the Purefoods camp.

I find it unthinkable to trade the star player while they continue to keep an inept coach. I think it's going to be one of the worst trades in PBA history if they move J. Yap to another team.

Nards are there any plans of changing the coach of PF?

jesronne
03-31-2009, 02:41 AM
with coach gallents entry to the PF it means that pardo is really considering replacing the man-loving coach ryan... imagine this if this trade continues he again will have more cuties in his team in the likes of rob reyes and marc pingris... :D :D :D :D

Big Ticket
03-31-2009, 09:04 AM
i think there will be only 5 teams in the PBL next conference... PBA teams should lower its salary from 150,000 per month for a rookie they should make it for 75 to 100k.. and also lower the amount that will be paid by the company when it enter the PBA

6 teams actually, 5 regulars and 1 guest team....burger king and toyota took a leave of absence...PBL is taking a big hit due to the financial crisis...

Coke_Hero
04-06-2009, 08:20 AM
Six teams in the PBL? This would really be a painful thing for CS/9 and for Solar Entertainment, really. I mean, they're struggling with sponsorships already and then they couldn't advertise with just five teams. I really see PBL going back to ABS-CBN Sports from this point in.

The_Big_Cat
04-17-2009, 01:35 PM
Report: Baguio, Cruz want out of Burger King
04/17/2009 | 06:06 PM

MANILA, Philippines – Cyrus Baguio and Celino Cruz were instant starters for Yeng Guiao’s successful Red Bull squad last year.

However, they were relegated to relievers when they were traded to the Burger King Whoppers this season.

The two players are now unhappy and they are reportedly asking their team to be traded to another squad, thru their agent Danny Espiritu.

Espiritu, a well-known agent in the Philippine Basketball Association, has reportedly served as broker for teams interested on his wards’ services.

Burger King team manager Lito Alvarez said he will not stop the players’ wishes to look for other teams. But the incoming PBA chairman made it clear that he will not be the one to initiate such action in respect to coach Yeng Guiao.

“Mga players talaga kasi yan ni coach Yeng, so nakakahiya if I will be the one to initiate such trade," said Alvarez. “I think they’re manager is the one brokering with other teams."

“In reality, Baguio and Cruz are not our original players. It was Mikee Romero who got them in, but I believe they’re helping our team in any way. Still, if they’re not happy, then what can we do," he added.

But Alvarez said Guiao will find an immediate solution to the problem. “Sabi ni coach siya na ang bahala and malaki naman tiwala ko sa kanya."

It was earlier reported that Baguio and Cruz were being eyed by the Ginebra Gin Kings, a move that was squelched immediately by the Whoppers management.

The Gin Kings are still waiting for the arrival of Mark Caguioa, who is still in the U.S. trying to recover from a knee injury. His absence has caused great misfortunes to Ginebra, which has only two wins in seven games. – GMANews.TV

jesronne
04-17-2009, 01:41 PM
i hope that baguio will be traded with ginebra because it will be fun to watch him with artadi and helterbrand running the break... afterall caguioa will not be the same caguioa before in terms of scoring and also junthy suffered injury... baguio will be a good addition to BGK... it will also be good for him because Ginebra fans will surely love Baguio... in terms of Purefoods they add again another PG... :D.. stop adding players just fire coach ryan and coach gallent will take over... :)

b3lowzro
04-17-2009, 03:21 PM
well sana sa ginebra na lang si baguio... kasi sure na si mark caguioa na hindi maka contribute ng magandang numbers pag balik nya...si junthy naman ay matanda na... si tubid dapat nasa PBL na siya or Liga Pilipinas... :D

translation please

Coke_Hero
04-17-2009, 03:23 PM
Patricia Bermudez-Hizon reported that Chairman Lito Alvarez of BK submitted a trade proposal wherein Ginebra would get Cyrus Baguio and Homer Se and Aaron Aban would be sent to the Whoppers. Celino Cruz would be delivered to the Giants, according to the report. So, it's still a question mark since it's still in the works

Big Ticket
04-17-2009, 05:30 PM
Patricia Bermudez-Hizon reported that Chairman Lito Alvarez of BK submitted a trade proposal wherein Ginebra would get Cyrus Baguio and Homer Se and Aaron Aban would be sent to the Whoppers. Celino Cruz would be delivered to the Giants, according to the report. So, it's still a question mark since it's still in the works

who will ginebra give up in this deal?

Coke_Hero
04-17-2009, 06:16 PM
who will ginebra give up in this deal?

A couple of draft picks...again...

Here's a stub of the Philippine Star article:

NOTES: Burger King has sealed a trade deal with the SMC group, sending Cyrus Baguio and Homer Se to Barangay Ginebra in exchange for future draft picks and Celino Cruz to Purefoods for Aaron Aban. Baguio and Se suit up with the Kings starting Monday curiously against the Whoppers. In the same game, the Kings are expected to finally present a new import in David Noel, a member of the North Carolina team that won the US NCAA championship in 2006. Noel averaged 12.9 points, 6.8 rebounds, 3.5 assists, 1.1 steals and 0.7 blocks in his senior year as a Tar Heel and was subsequently drafted by the Milwaukee Bucks with their 39th overall pick.

Big Ticket
04-18-2009, 12:02 AM
A couple of draft picks...again...

Here's a stub of the Philippine Star article:

ginebra now has 17 players on its roster...including the injured ones...

Coke_Hero
04-18-2009, 02:51 AM
Here's how I see things going down at Ginebra:

Homer Se wouldn't suit up for the Gin Kings and BK intended on releasing him because of his contract. Macky Escalona would most likely be included on the Injured Reserved list since he couldn't get a spot in the rotation.

QuickFox
04-18-2009, 03:25 AM
NOTES: Burger King has sealed a trade deal with the SMC group, sending Cyrus Baguio and Homer Se to Barangay Ginebra in exchange for future draft picks and Celino Cruz to Purefoods for Aaron Aban. Baguio and Se suit up with the Kings starting Monday curiously against the Whoppers. In the same game, the Kings are expected to finally present a new import in David Noel, a member of the North Carolina team that won the US NCAA championship in 2006. Noel averaged 12.9 points, 6.8 rebounds, 3.5 assists, 1.1 steals and 0.7 blocks in his senior year as a Tar Heel and was subsequently drafted by the Milwaukee Bucks with their 39th overall pick.

Wow... one of US NCAA's slam dunk kings. He must join the pba slam dunk contest along with the imports. I have read somewhere that the imports will be having special slam dunk battle, and the winner will face the local champ.

Coke_Hero
04-18-2009, 06:24 AM
Wow... one of US NCAA's slam dunk kings. He must join the pba slam dunk contest along with the imports. I have read somewhere that the imports will be having special slam dunk battle, and the winner will face the local champ.

Well, let's just hope that David Noel DOES get the nod after the measurements. The former import (Ryan Humphrey) failed to make the height requirements. Oh, I found a David Noel pic too.

http://uncbasketballupdate.com/images/noel-2.15.jpg

Big Ticket
04-18-2009, 08:07 AM

david noel defeated current NBDL slam dunk king james white in the NCAA slam dunk competition....i think noel did a cartwheel dunk while james white missed his dunk from the free throw line...

nardy
04-18-2009, 09:57 AM
I feel sorry for Yeng Guiao .... after leaving financially-troubled Red Bull (now Barako Bull) to join Burger King, now his new team is having a problem in paying its players and just like Yeng's old team is BK now contemplating in just releasing some players even without anything in return in order to keep its core players happy.

jesronne
04-18-2009, 12:03 PM
im really excited after this PBA season when many big names will have their contract expires... will there be clubs in the PBA that will backout or joining in the PBA?? any news??

reamily
04-18-2009, 02:20 PM
im really excited after this PBA season when many big names will have their contract expires... will there be clubs in the PBA that will backout or joining in the PBA?? any news??

normally expirees do not sign to teams easily unlike nba they end up being traded for something rather than getting nothing (cash mainly for red bull and air 21):D:D:D:D

Coke_Hero
04-19-2009, 09:17 AM
I feel sorry for Yeng Guiao .... after leaving financially-troubled Red Bull (now Barako Bull) to join Burger King, now his new team is having a problem in paying its players and just like Yeng's old team is BK now contemplating in just releasing some players even without anything in return in order to keep its core players happy.

Maybe Coach Yeng would quit coaching for BK after trading his two favorite players in Cyrus and Celino. Hmmm...

The_Big_Cat
04-19-2009, 11:00 AM

Probably Burger King is preparing to make room for Japeth and Rico come draft day. Both are on top of BK's wishlist.

neo
04-19-2009, 03:45 PM
i hope skyrus transfer from bk to kings wont affect his chances of making the rp team

i mean drop him if he's really playing bad but not because of politics

ayoboi
04-21-2009, 01:55 AM
Does the PBA have no salary cap? Low finance teams will just plunge in the standings because they can't afford superstars in their roster, teams like san miguel, ginebra, purefoods, and talk n text will just dominate this league because they all gather all the superstars in their team, how unfair and where is the competition? Will the league be still interesting? Who's next to be acquired by ginebra, san miguel, and purefoods? PBA teams now is all about dominating monetarily, athletic competition is gone.....:confused:

nardy
04-21-2009, 02:44 AM
Does the PBA have no salary cap? Low finance teams will just plunge in the standings because they can't afford superstars in their roster, teams like san miguel, ginebra, purefoods, and talk n text will just dominate this league because they all gather all the superstars in their team, how unfair and where is the competition? Will the league be still interesting? Who's next to be acquired by ginebra, san miguel, and purefoods? PBA teams now is all about dominating monetarily, athletic competition is gone.....:confused:

there is a salary-cap in place but with the current global financial crisis it has really made it very difficult. Then with the current low number of teams in the PBA and with a lot of players improving into Superstar status, there are more players demanding to get the maximum salary of PhP350 thousand per month or near that figure while the elder statesmen (Aquino, Espino, Arigo, Taulava, Telan, Menk, etc) who are already earning the maximum salary would not agree on pay cuts even though their performance level is not what it used to be. So unlike before when you have teams having only 1-3 players earning the maximum salary we have teams that needs to play 6-7 players at the maximum amount. That's why those who are not superstars suffer most as they are the ones who should adjust and their already low salaries are cutted much further and if they don't agree either they get traded or just released then the team gets a free agent or a rookie willing to get even peanuts for a salary.

We have to accept reality ..... We are a developing country with a PBA trying to maintain a Professional League that wants to be at a level of league in a developed country.

ayoboi
04-21-2009, 03:13 AM
there is a salary-cap in place but with the current global financial crisis it has really made it very difficult. Then with the current low number of teams in the PBA and with a lot of players improving into Superstar status, there are more players demanding to get the maximum salary of PhP350 thousand per month or near that figure while the elder statesmen (Aquino, Espino, Arigo, Taulava, Telan, Menk, etc) who are already earning the maximum salary would not agree on pay cuts even though their performance level is not what it used to be. So unlike before when you have teams having only 1-3 players earning the maximum salary we have teams that needs to play 6-7 players at the maximum amount. That's why those who are not superstars suffer most as they are the ones who should adjust and their already low salaries are cutted much further and if they don't agree either they get traded or just released then the team gets a free agent or a rookie willing to get even peanuts for a salary.

We have to accept reality ..... We are a developing country with a PBA trying to maintain a Professional League that wants to be at a level of league in a developed country.
so with this, PBA is predictable, we can expect that when Barako Bull and Ginebra meet, surely Ginebra will prevail because of their line-up, so will the game be still interesting to watch? Big teams like San Miguel, Ginebra, Purefoods, will just easily keep on dominating other poor teams, so will people still find the games interesting? Yes, PBA wants to maintain the professionalism, but what is all left right now is professionalism, their is no COMPETITION, coz as of now, we can now easily determine who will be in the finals and who will be the whipping boys....:confused:

neo
04-21-2009, 06:40 AM
Did the pba reduce the salary cap for each team? I am aware that the pba reduced the maximum salary of a player from 500k to 350k but did they reduced the team salary cap also or did they keep it or even increased it?

If that is the case, then that is one reason why we have so many star players and maximum-salary players in one team. Hypothetically speaking, if a team is allowed only 3 million a month for 12 players if you give 500k each to 2 players, you will only have 2 million for the other 10.with 350k, you can get 5 maximum salary players and still have 1.75 million for the remaining 7.

jesronne
04-21-2009, 07:22 AM
if these trend continues there will be a one team who will be champion in each conference... :D

Kelly williams and ryan ryes contract expires after this season then we could see them wearing different jersey next season...

Big Ticket
04-21-2009, 09:54 AM
Kelly williams and ryan ryes contract expires after this season then we could see them wearing different jersey next season...

if SLR will release them....remember, in the PBA, there's no unrestricted free agents...all are restricted unless released by their mother teams...i don't think SLR is like BK or Barako Bull in terms of giving up their star players...

jesronne
04-21-2009, 10:13 AM
if SLR will release them....remember, in the PBA, there's no unrestricted free agents...all are restricted unless released by their mother teams...i don't think SLR is like BK or Barako Bull in terms of giving up their star players...

i hope so... does SLR has a problem with its payroll??

bolabasket
04-21-2009, 10:14 AM
Kwill and Ryan will both go to SMB :D

jesronne
04-21-2009, 10:27 AM
Kwill and Ryan will both go to SMB :D

k will and ryan reyes could be traded for sam eman, washington and mike cortez... :)

nardy
04-21-2009, 11:18 AM
if these trend continues there will be a one team who will be champion in each conference... :D

Chot wants Kelly.

Big Ticket
04-21-2009, 11:51 AM
i hope so... does SLR has a problem with its payroll??

no reports about it....SLR has also not been involved in lopsided trades with the SMC teams...the last deal they were part of i believe with SMC was acting a conduit to the limpot-andy seigle deal years back...

jesronne
04-21-2009, 01:05 PM
copy that sir... SLR can give big contracts to ryan reyes and kelly because marlou's contract expire after this season... SLR also have managed to save more money because of signing Role player guys like daa, colonel, mamaclay...

nardy
04-21-2009, 01:41 PM
copy that sir... SLR can give big contracts to ryan reyes and kelly because marlou's contract expire after this season... SLR also have managed to save more money because of signing Role player guys like daa, colonel, mamaclay...

is it already bye bye Marlou ..... time to go

jesronne
04-21-2009, 02:03 PM

who will take his place in sta lucia?? daa is too short and mamaclay is not that good...
when will espino's contract expires??

Big Ticket
04-21-2009, 02:32 PM

with the way marlou's playing this conference (11 ppg, 5 rpg and a league-leading 3 bpg), he wants to extend his stay in the PBA, even if it is not with SLR....some team will offer him a short-term contract...

rhk111
04-21-2009, 03:21 PM
with the way marlou's playing this conference (11 ppg, 5 rpg and a league-leading 3 bpg), he wants to extend his stay in the PBA, even if it is not with SLR....some team will offer him a short-term contract...

Ha-ha-ha ..... Now I know why Marlou has been playing so well these days. Because his contract was expiring!!!

Would anybody want a player, who only plays well when his contract was expiring? Reminds me of the late Arnie Tuadles (may his soul rest in peace).

jesronne
04-21-2009, 03:25 PM
Ha-ha-ha ..... Now I know why Marlou has been playing so well these days. Because his contract was expiring!!!

Would anybody want a player, who only plays well when his contract was expiring? Reminds me of the late Arnie Tuadles (may his soul rest in peace).

the team could offer him 1 month contract so that he will keep on playing well... hahaha

The_Big_Cat
04-22-2009, 03:54 AM
who will take his place in sta lucia?? daa is too short and mamaclay is not that good...

There is the upcoming 2009 PBA Draft to look for tall players. And off course the Free-Agency market if they want to shop around for a big man.

shoot first,dribble later
04-24-2009, 05:20 AM

maybe they can snatch samigue eman from san miguel in exchange for a draft pick. this guy eman has a lot of untapped potentials. i hope he'll be given a chance to show his A-game to teams who are in need of a slot man like him. he deserves to play and he deserves a team that will give him playing time. as for marlou, mautak that he is, there's always the liga pilipinas for him.

nardy
04-24-2009, 01:20 PM
maybe they can snatch samigue eman from san miguel in exchange for a draft pick. this guy eman has a lot of untapped potentials. i hope he'll be given a chance to show his A-game to teams who are in need of a slot man like him. he deserves to play and he deserves a team that will give him playing time. as for marlou, mautak that he is, there's always the liga pilipinas for him.

with the kind of money that the Liga pays ...... knowing Marlou, he would rather retire and I'll not be surprised he follows Paras and Balingit into showbiz.

nardy
06-08-2009, 02:37 PM

It’s official: Caguioa out for the rest of the season
Written by Dave Coros / Correspondent
Monday, 08 June 2009 18:55

http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/images/stories/Daily_Images/2009/June/06092009/sports-01.jpg
Mark Caguioa is only 80 to 90 percent fit.

Jong Uichico could have not wished for a better time than to have Mark Caguioa back in the lineup for the playoffs of the 2009 Motolite Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) Fiesta Conference.

Too bad, Caguioa’s injury indicates his chances of rejoining the team in its title defense is just wishful thinking.

The Barangay Ginebra coach revealed that his high-scoring guard will be out for the remainder of the season as he continues to undergo rehabilitation on his injured knee.

Although it wasn’t encouraging, Uichico has accepted their fate and didn’t include Caguioa in their roster last May 30, the deadline for all teams in the playoffs to submit their final lineup.

“He can play, but hindi talaga 100 percent. So we decided not to put him in the lineup,” said the soft-spoken mentor.

Caguioa has not played a single game for the league’s crowd darling since incurring the injury—that also cost him a slot on the Powerade Team Pilipinas of coach Yeng Guiao—during the Kings’ amazing title run last season.

But the prolific Ginebra stalwart have shown great recovery in his rehabilitation early this year so Uichico was very hopeful that Caguioa would rejoin the team midway the season-ending tournament.

However, Caguioa’s latest health bulletin indicated he is just 80 percent to 90 percent healed.

“Maganda ’yung improvement niya from February until April, that’s why we’re hoping he could make a comeback by May. But somehow, nitong mga nakaraang araw medyo bumagal ’yung recovery niya.

“So we deemed it more proper not to let him play na lang. Huwag na lang muna madaliin dahil sayang lang kung ma-injured siya uli,” offered Uichico.

The Ginebra coach said he’s in constant talk with Caguioa, as well as with his therapist.

“Right now, we’re trying to get him over here para dito na siya mag-continue ng rehabilitation,” Uichico said.

Without their top leading scorer last season, Uichico said the Kings have lost one major offensive option in their title-retention bid.

“Mark is always good for 15 points or more on any given night. He’s always a scoring threat for our opponents,” Uichico stressed.

Nevertheless, life goes on for the Kings, who beat the Rain or Shine Elasto Painters in a playoff, 114-71, to claim the second outright semifinal berth. The other outright semifinal spot belonged to league-leader San Miguel Beer.

“We’ve survived at this point without him (Caguioa). So we’re keeping our fingers crossed that we’ll be able to go farther now that we’re fully aware Mark is not going to play for us,” said Uichico.

The defending champion Kings will be meeting the winner of the quarterfinals series between Rain or Shine and Purefoods in a best-of-seven semifinal showdown. b

LordOfLeyte
06-09-2009, 04:00 AM
Good decision by the BGK management to simply allow Caguioa more to time to adjust physically along with some conditioning exercises rather than running the risk of him being teared down due to under - recovery in hopeful title defense.

For the fans, they have to wait for the All Filipino Conference to see Marc the "Spark"

nardy
06-20-2009, 06:58 AM
http://www.abante-tonite.com/img2009/tonite_header7.jpg
June 20, 2009 Saturday

http://www.abante-tonite.com/img2009/headin_section/sports.jpg

PBA coach, replaced?
http://www.abante-tonite.com/img2009/logo/LAYKDATAN.jpg

Not accidentally come to this information Laykdatan on a day that is interesting that this coach a PBA team has seemed to change!

Not for his team despite that popular and also a strong line-up has failed to reach semifinals of on-going Fiesta Conference.

Obvious is why he replaced, but if I say eh, easy to get or matuturol.

However, if you tracks PBA league in the past 21 years likely get you immediately.

But if not maybe you difficulty.

Who champion naman na rin si coach, but after then until now he was not being tracked.

Rarely change coach the team this fact and from participating in the PBA, twice is just convert it.

Si coaches from the championship will reach three times the runner-up finish --- the first was in 2005.

The latest sign or clue to papalitang coach, seven eleven times reached the finals his team and there are five naipanalo.

If sabagay matagal-tagal na rin namang hindi nagde-deliver si coach so maybe naisip of livestock management to change coaches as pahiyang.

Ganyan naman talaga ang buhay sa PBA, may not be coach forever.

Nga usually taken by another team.

But if mamalasin nauuwi to pagre retire.

Although not yet actually confirmed the decision of management, and in case he ipasyang change eh, with instant replacement raw si coach.

Perhaps one of his assistants?

The_Big_Cat
06-20-2009, 07:27 AM
^ Ryan Gregorio of Purefoods?

w0otz
06-20-2009, 07:35 AM
^^ Most likely.

I think Gallent will be the new head coach.

nardy
06-20-2009, 07:59 AM
^ Ryan Gregorio of Purefoods?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Gregorio

c_d
06-20-2009, 08:43 AM
^^^

can the SBP hire him to help out coach E in our youth program?

The_Big_Cat
06-20-2009, 09:11 AM
^^ Most likely.

I think Gallent will be the new head coach.

If Ryan Gregorio gets the ax, I feel Koy Banal deserves to be elevated. Koy Banal led FEU to 3 UAAP Finals appearance including the 2003 & 2004 titles. He also led San Beda to the 2006 NCAA Championship. Banal has remained loyal to the San Miguel franchise for almost 10 years and I think he will get the nod.

pepman
06-25-2009, 08:20 AM
If Ryan Gregorio gets the ax, I feel Koy Banal deserves to be elevated. Koy Banal led FEU to 3 UAAP Finals appearance including the 2003 & 2004 titles. He also led San Beda to the 2006 NCAA Championship. Banal has remained loyal to the San Miguel franchise for almost 10 years and I think he will get the nod.

Indeed, and that's actually also my wish. Besides, Gregorio is a piece of crap kind of coach.

trigun_08
06-27-2009, 04:50 PM
Purefoods willing to unload one of its stars in exchange for draft rights
06/27/2009 | 10:56 PM

| | More
MANILA, Philippines – Purefoods is willing to unload one of its stars to get a quality first round pick in the coming Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) Annual Rookie Draft.

The Tender Juicy Giants, who will be picking sixth or seventh in the draft, might give up one of their star players in exchange for a first round draft choice.

Purefoods board governor Rene Pardo told GMANews.TV that he instructed coach Ryan Gregorio to possibly trade one of its marquee players in exchange for a rookie that they can pluck out in the first round.

“We have so many good players, and it would be ideal to trade one of them in exchange for a first round pick so that we will earn two picks in the first round," said Pardo, who did not reveal who among the star players might be put on the trading block.

Several amateur standouts have joined this year’s draft, with 6-foot-9 Japeth Aguilar, son of former Northern Consolidated and Ginebra San Miguel stalwart Peter Aguilar, the most notable candidate.

Burger King, which has earned three picks in the draft, would most likely secure the services of the Western Kentucky University standout as its top overall pick in the draft. Aguilar has been added to the line up of the Jones Cup and FIBA-Asia Championship-bound Powerade-Team Pilipinas.

Other rookie standouts who are possible first round picks are Rico Maierhofer, Jervy Cruz and Fil-Am guards Chris Ross, Josh Vanlandingham and Chris Timberlake.

The Giants have yet to start their rebuilding program for next season as they are waiting for the return of Purefoods top executive Butch Alejo, who is still in Vietnam.

“Since our campaign ended early, the members of the team are now busy with their “palengke" tour, which is normally being done by the team during the off season," said Pardo. “But we also have to study the draft and plan from there."

Despite a stellar cast - led by former most valuable player James Yap, RP team standout Kerby Raymundo, Enrico Villanueva, Don Allado, Rich Alvarez, Celino Cruz, KG Canaleta, Peter June Simon, Roger Yap and Topex Robinson - the Giants failed to advance in Fiesta Cup semifinals.

elyctricfan
06-28-2009, 08:18 AM
For me, unloading one of your major star for a draft pick must be considered all the aspects of the trade.

if you wont get a pick on the top 3 rookies, better keep your star player or shop him to any teams

the batch of rookies this season is not that strong, top 5 picks will guarantee a contract, that's how shallow the draft is.

Big Ticket
06-28-2009, 09:28 AM
For me, unloading one of your major star for a draft pick must be considered all the aspects of the trade.

if you wont get a pick on the top 3 rookies, better keep your star player or shop him to any teams

the batch of rookies this season is not that strong, top 5 picks will guarantee a contract, that's how shallow the draft is.

if it's a top 3 pick (maeirhoffer, ross, cruz or japhet if he applies) is ok....but more than that, it's a bad trade...

durden_tyler
06-28-2009, 10:51 AM
But they are loaded with stars. They don't need another one potential star (top 3 pick) because that would defeat the purpose of adding by subtracting. i presume James Yap and Kirby Raymundo are the untouchables so that leaves you with Simon, Villanueva among others(honest there are zero other stars in this team just glorified star players) as the players likely to be dealt.

i think it's a good picks as long as its a first rounder. They need fresh blood and unloading these unmotivated veterans would be a plus.

reamily
06-28-2009, 11:45 AM
But they are loaded with stars. They don't need another one potential star (top 3 pick) because that would defeat the purpose of adding by subtracting. i presume James Yap and Kirby Raymundo are the untouchables so that leaves you with Simon, Villanueva among others(honest there are zero other stars in this team just glorified star players) as the players likely to be dealt.

i think it's a good picks as long as its a first rounder. They need fresh blood and unloading these unmotivated veterans would be a plus.

there are 2 choices for purefoods absolutely they are hell bent on picking ross but i think asking villanueva from smb could be a good choice as if he is ready to do the starting chores regularly, but Roger Yap is the starter of this team so i think he can handle it no correctly he can do better than roger yap hehehehe

KevinDurant
06-28-2009, 03:39 PM
Purefoods board governor Rene Pardo told GMANews.TV that he instructed coach Ryan Gregorio to possibly trade one of its marquee players in exchange for a rookie that they can pluck out in the first round.

“We have so many good players, and it would be ideal to trade one of them in exchange for a first round pick so that we will earn two picks in the first round," said Pardo, who did not reveal who among the star players might be put on the trading block.

This means that Pardo still trusts Gregorio, and most probably he won't be replaced anytime soon.

Several amateur standouts have joined this year’s draft, with 6-foot-9 Japeth Aguilar, son of former Northern Consolidated and Ginebra San Miguel stalwart Peter Aguilar, the most notable candidate.

Burger King, which has earned three picks in the draft, would most likely secure the services of the Western Kentucky University standout as its top overall pick in the draft. Aguilar has been added to the line up of the Jones Cup and FIBA-Asia Championship-bound Powerade-Team Pilipinas.

Japeth's skills can be more polished if he chooses to sign with Smart Gilas. He'll also have a chance of playing in the NBA or NBDL.

reamily
06-28-2009, 03:49 PM
This means that Pardo still trusts Gregorio, and most probably he won't be replaced anytime soon.

Japeth's skills can be more polished if he chooses to sign with Smart Gilas. He'll also have a chance of playing in the NBA or NBDL.

when you are having asi and a point guard from a sister team or from a draft expect this the ultimatum for ryan gregorio for purefoods they sacrifice this conference just to get KG and rich in the groove for pf:D:D:D

And purefoods really, the all filipino is their conference as history says they perform well here:D

oT after typing this Ryan has a starting line up of a national team already:D:D:D

nardy
06-28-2009, 04:47 PM

Actually Purefoods has the tools but as long as Coach Ryan does not deviate from his practice of overdependence on James Yap and Kerby Raymundo to make the points then the opposing teams would not have a hard time guessing what the Tender Juicy Giants are going to do offensively. They just have to spread the offense and give more touches on the other players. They do get quality players but coach does not entrust more plays for them so whats the use.

jesronne
06-28-2009, 04:58 PM

ill rephrase it... STILL LOVE... brokeback mountain...

icebreaker
06-29-2009, 10:08 AM
Brgy. Ginebra should get Japeth Aguilar. He will bring completeness in the team and draw more crowd to the Araneta Coliseum every game with the team.

PUGOtipm
06-29-2009, 10:18 AM

all the 1st round picks will have a guaranteed contracts. but looking at the possible draftees, yes it will be a 5 good player deep or shallow.

PUGOtipm
06-29-2009, 10:20 AM
Actually Purefoods has the tools but as long as Coach Ryan does not deviate from his practice of overdependence on James Yap and Kerby Raymundo to make the points then the opposing teams would not have a hard time guessing what the Tender Juicy Giants are going to do offensively. They just have to spread the offense and give more touches on the other players. They do get quality players but coach does not entrust more plays for them so whats the use.
I love the way RG celebrates bailed out plays by his players as if they do that in practice.

nardy
06-30-2009, 09:04 AM
I love the way RG celebrates bailed out plays by his players as if they do that in practice.

http://firequinito.com/uploads/basketball/ryan-gregorio-panic.jpg
http://firequinito.com/uploads/basketball/pacquiao-batista.jpg

joeven
06-30-2009, 09:10 AM

Are you Ely Buendia? :D

nardy
06-30-2009, 09:11 AM
http://www.ateneo.edu/ateneo/www/UserFiles/71/dec2006/images/jc_dunk.jpg
http://firequinito.com/uploads/basketball/carla-abellana.jpg
The Girl which makes JC Intal Fly .... Rosalinda

http://photos.friendster.com/photos/15/69/92859651/1_767372382l.jpg

ma4ma
06-30-2009, 09:24 AM
wooow! carla abellana:D:D

w0otz
06-30-2009, 10:20 AM
Wow, nakanang.. is that Intal's girl friend?

Ambanges. :p:D

its_eman8211
06-30-2009, 02:02 PM
wow to intal... he will not only fly because of that chick he will surely SOAR!!!

marjan
06-30-2009, 02:56 PM

Playing for an amateur team like Smart Gilas will not enhance the basketball skill of Japeth Aguilar coz he already know the rudiments of basketball and he already possess the skill and agility to play the game. What he will gain if he joins the team of Ryko Toroman is he will learn the system of Mr. Toroman and he will get also the chance to play outside the Philippines in official international competition. This in reality will give him a free ticket to visit other countries. But increasing his skill and marketability by playing with an amateur team is doubtful. If he play in the pros or against the pros like in the PBA or in the NBA wherein he will engage in actual competition almost every other day against professional players (rather than with his team mates in an amateur team) then definitely he will gain experience and could also improve his basketball skill. And for him to play in the NBA, he must apply or personally try out with those teams instead of just playing as an amateur player. How will they know about him if he doesnt apply and show his skill in front of them?

b3lowzro
06-30-2009, 03:09 PM
Playing for an amateur team like Smart Gilas will not enhance the basketball skill of Japeth Aguilar coz he already know the rudiments of basketball and he already possess the skill and agility to play the game. What he will gain if he joins the team of Ryko Toroman is he will learn the system of Mr. Toroman and he will get also the chance to play outside the Philippines in official international competition. This in reality will give him a free ticket to visit other countries. But increasing his skill and marketability by playing with an amateur team is doubtful. If he play in the pros or against the pros like in the PBA or in the NBA wherein he will engage in actual competition almost every other day against professional players (rather than with his team mates in an amateur team) then definitely he will gain experience and could also improve his basketball skill. And for him to play in the NBA, he must apply or personally try out with those teams instead of just playing as an amateur player. How will they know about him if he doesnt apply and show his skill in front of them?

If they qualify for the olympics well maybe it would increase his marketability for foreign scout (like Hamed Haddadi of Iran) plus the international scene has always been a hot bed for talents even an all star NBA cast gets beaten once in a while so don't discredit what the International tourney has to offer.

jesronne
06-30-2009, 11:44 PM

yes its an amateur team but its talents are for pros... smart gilas have a good performance in the champions cup unlike the other pba squad that was sent to compete there... how about playing along side with CJ giles... dont say that he will not learn something with giles??

MrEndshiftresign
07-03-2009, 10:38 AM
Purefoods willing to unload one of its stars in exchange for draft rights
06/27/2009 | 10:56 PM

| | More
MANILA, Philippines – Purefoods is willing to unload one of its stars to get a quality first round pick in the coming Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) Annual Rookie Draft.

The Tender Juicy Giants, who will be picking sixth or seventh in the draft, might give up one of their star players in exchange for a first round draft choice.

Other rookie standouts who are possible first round picks are Rico Maierhofer, Jervy Cruz and Fil-Am guards Chris Ross, Josh Vanlandingham and Chris Timberlake.

The Giants have yet to start their rebuilding program for next season as they are waiting for the return of Purefoods top executive Butch Alejo, who is still in Vietnam.

“Since our campaign ended early, the members of the team are now busy with their “palengke" tour, which is normally being done by the team during the off season," said Pardo. “But we also have to study the draft and plan from there."

Despite a stellar cast - led by former most valuable player James Yap, RP team standout Kerby Raymundo, Enrico Villanueva, Don Allado, Rich Alvarez, Celino Cruz, KG Canaleta, Peter June Simon, Roger Yap and Topex Robinson - the Giants failed to advance in Fiesta Cup semifinals.

interesting plan on purefoods' part, as purefoods hasn't really been too big on playing rookies and/or youngsters, with a few notable exceptions. (i.e. the class of 1988 and james yap) and think of all the players whose games took off after leaving purefoods - olsen racela, freddie abuda, paul artadi, etc.

wonder who purefoods has in mind for this year's draft?

elyctricfan
07-11-2009, 09:08 AM
Arwind Santos is now a Beerman

rensquared
07-11-2009, 10:56 AM
Arwind Santos is now a Beerman

What? For whom? Is he a freeagent?

rensquared
07-11-2009, 11:09 AM

I beg to differ. If he joined this amateur team, namely SMART GILAS (who is better than any PBA team), he will enhance his skills and agility under the watchful eyes of Coach Rajko Toroman. If he plays with this amateur team internationally, then he will be up against bigger and better opponents [i.e. big men from china(Yao Ming, Yi Jian Lian, and Wang Zhi Zhi) , lebanon (Jack Vromann and possibly Joe Vogel), iran (Hamed Haddadi)] constantly. If he plays against this big guys, which by the way are NBA caliber players, then he will indeed become a better player (enhancing his basketball skills and marketability as well). He will not gain this skills and experience in playing in the PBA. He will not be able to face a 7ft legit NBA Quality Players in the PBA because there are non found in that league.

Plus, if he is doing a great job with SMART GILAS and dominate internationally, then NBA scouts will surely spot him and invite him to try out for their team. Who knows, he might be a number 1 draft in the NBA. But its just a possibility if he joins SMART Gilas.

Just my 2 cents.

Lebron23
07-11-2009, 11:50 AM
Burger King ships do-it-all forward Santos to San Miguel

07/11/2009 | 06:20 PM

MANILA, Philippines – Arwind Santos finally got his wish to play for San Miguel Beer, the winningest team in the history of the Philippine Basketball Association.

Burger King team manager and incoming board chairman Lito Alvarez confirmed to GMANews.TV that they have already agreed to send the 6-foot-4 forward to the Beermen after their third-place finish in the ongoing Motolite-PBA Fiesta Conference.

The Beermen are still playing the Ginebra Gin Kings in the best-of-seven championship series.

None among the officials confirmed the trade although a highly-placed source revealed that Santos will be shipped in exchange for three players – 6-foot-9 Samigue Eman, 6-foot-5 burly forward Ken Bono and veteran shooting guard Chris Calaguio.

But Alvarez said they are still negotiating with San Miguel as to who are the players they will be getting in exchange of the former Far Eastern University stalwart, who wound up as bridesmaid for the MVP plum for two consecutive years.

“We’ve agreed to send Arwind to San Miguel right after the battle for third place," said Alvarez. “Right now, pinag-uusapan pa namin kung sino yung kapalit."

Santos has long expressed his interest to play with San Miguel. He played for Viva Mineral Water and Magnolia, San Miguel’s farm team in the Philippine Basketball League and won championships on top of individual accolades.

In search of a PBA title, Santos may finally get his chance to win it this time with the power-packed Beermen, the winnigest team in pro league’s history with 17 championships. He will join a squad that has superstars like Dondon Hontiveros, veterans Danny Ildefonso and Olsen Racela, slotmen Mick Pennisi and Dorian Pena, guard Mike Cortez, and up and coming superstars like Marc Pingris, Jay Washington, Bonbon Custodio and Jons Villanueva.

The Beermen, who are still battling the Ginebra Gin Kings for the best-of-seven championship series, also have Danny Seigle and Lordy Tugade, who are both on the injured list.

Asked about his thoughts on this new development, Burger King coach Yeng Guiao said he was not aware that Santos’ transfer to San Miguel has already been approved.

“I have no knowledge about this," said Guiao. “Maybe it’s management to management negotiations." – GMANews.TV

http://www.gmanews.tv/story/167170/Burger-King-ships-do-it-all-forward-Santos-to-San-Miguel

Big Ticket
07-11-2009, 12:35 PM
an eman-aguilar frontcourt for BK?

rhk111
07-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Three bench warmers, for one star player? Is Arwind's contract expiring this year? If so, I think BK shipped him out, because I don't think they can afford his next contract .....

In fairness to the three BK bench warmers, Eman is an athletic 6'8" player; Bono was a one time UAAP MVP, while Calaguio was a star in the MBA. I think BK should've asked to at least one more player ....

saints13
07-11-2009, 02:55 PM

are you kidding? :)

Coke_Hero
07-11-2009, 04:40 PM
“I have no knowledge about this," said Guiao. “Maybe it’s management to management negotiations."

looks like Yeng's pissed off about his players being traded for nothing...AGAIN.

saints13
07-11-2009, 04:43 PM
looks like Yeng's pissed off about his players being traded for nothing...AGAIN.

if its Arwind Santos in exchange for Bono, Calaguio and Eman...well, it's kinda fair trade for me. :)

ramzaruglia
07-11-2009, 08:51 PM
And Miller wants to get traded away from Alaska... PF and Coke wants him, but for what price:cool:

Big Ticket
07-11-2009, 10:38 PM
miller really wants to play for purefoods to be with close friend, kerby raymundo...but reports say that alaska is asking too much for him (villanueva and simon)....will purefoods give in? let's see...

Mr.Basketball
07-11-2009, 11:12 PM
the trade dealing santos to smb is not too bad for BK, they got two young big men, who has a lot of potential to make waves in the coming seasons of the PBA, im just not sure about calaguio though, bon-bon is a better catch imo, bono and eman will blossom under yeng's system coz they'll be given a chance to showcase their wares, unlike before they look like smb's mascots at the sidelines :D

marjan
07-12-2009, 01:19 AM
are you kidding? :)

Well, we can only find out the effectivity of the Smart Gilas program after we participate in the real tournament. So far they have entered only in some minor competition for their training, so its still too early to say that they have already accomplished something. Maybe if they win in the real tournament they have been formed for (like the Olympics and the qualifying tournaments) and particularly if they win the championship, then probably all of us will agree that they are already the real thing. Maybe all our players might be noticed and even be recruited by those NBA scouts. But if they fail again in their quest and particularly if they will be clobbered (I hope not), then who will notice them? All of us might even be shocked again by this bad dream. Then some people might be picking again other people to blame, so it will be back again to the same thing. So I'm just being practical and realistic guys.

neo
07-12-2009, 02:18 AM
i think if aguilar is commited in trying to get a crack in the nba, he should join the pba this year and sign and play for 2 years. as a rookie he can develop his individual skills and gets physically stronger while acquiring experience in playing professional basketball with major minutes and with major role. on the second year, if he is really good, he should dominate and become the best center in the pba. after 2 years, as he matures and gains confidence, he should leave the pba then try his luck in the u.s minors or europe while reinforcing GILAS for the 2011 fiba asia. after that, if he is really good, he will earn invites for an NBA training camp and perhaps an nba stint.

saints13
07-12-2009, 03:16 AM
Well, we can only find out the effectivity of the Smart Gilas program after we participate in the real tournament. So far they have entered only in some minor competition for their training, so its still too early to say that they have already accomplished something. Maybe if they win in the real tournament they have been formed for (like the Olympics and the qualifying tournaments) and particularly if they win the championship, then probably all of us will agree that they are already the real thing. Maybe all our players might be noticed and even be recruited by those NBA scouts. But if they fail again in their quest and particularly if they will be clobbered (I hope not), then who will notice them? All of us might even be shocked again by this bad dream. Then some people might be picking again other people to blame, so it will be back again to the same thing. So I'm just being practical and realistic guys.

FIBA Champions CUP is a FIBA-sanctioned tournament...it is not a mediocre tournament...sometimes it is a qualifier for the World Club Championships. :)
Smart Gilas is hardly noticed due to lack of TV exposure in RP, NT players are more noticed than local basketball club players if we are talking about NBA scouts. :) If Japeth really wants a bigger arena...Smart Gilas is the ticket..they will play til 2012 if God forbid..while Powerade RP NT will be the last of the cowboys for the PBA wherein their bid ends in Tianjin or hopefully in Turkey next year then after that PBA will not loan players anymore for the RP NT.

jesronne
07-12-2009, 03:20 AM
FIBA Champions CUP is a FIBA-sanctioned tournament...it is not a mediocre tournament...sometimes it is a qualifier for the World Club Championships. :)
Smart Gilas is hardly noticed due to lack of TV exposure in RP, NT players are more noticed than local basketball club players if we are talking about NBA scouts. :) If Japeth really wants a bigger arena...Smart Gilas is the ticket..they will play til 2012 if God forbid..while Powerade RP NT will be the last of the cowboys for the PBA wherein their bid ends in Tianjin or hopefully in Turkey next year then after that PBA will not loan players anymore for the RP NT.

+1

smart gilas lacks tv exposure...

saints13
07-12-2009, 03:31 AM
+1

smart gilas lacks tv exposure...

can't Smart do anything about it???

I've seen some promotional materials in TV..they were featured minimally in Probe Team..wherein the controversies were highlighted and Ronnie Nathanielz was the antagonist and some clips of Marcy Arellano's interviews why he didn't join Gilas..another one was from Sports Unlimited wherein it was a really stupid PLDT promotional segment...

LCM
07-12-2009, 03:34 AM
I beg to differ. If he joined this amateur team, namely SMART GILAS (who is better than any PBA team), he will enhance his skills and agility under the watchful eyes of Coach Rajko Toroman. If he plays with this amateur team internationally, then he will be up against bigger and better opponents [i.e. big men from china(Yao Ming, Yi Jian Lian, and Wang Zhi Zhi) , lebanon (Jack Vromann and possibly Joe Vogel), iran (Hamed Haddadi)] constantly. If he plays against this big guys, which by the way are NBA caliber players, then he will indeed become a better player (enhancing his basketball skills and marketability as well). He will not gain this skills and experience in playing in the PBA. He will not be able to face a 7ft legit NBA Quality Players in the PBA because there are non found in that league.

Plus, if he is doing a great job with SMART GILAS and dominate internationally, then NBA scouts will surely spot him and invite him to try out for their team. Who knows, he might be a number 1 draft in the NBA. But its just a possibility if he joins SMART Gilas.

Just my 2 cents.

Yeah your right.

rensquared
07-12-2009, 03:37 AM

That is why they will need Japeth in the line up to lessen the percentage of the failure that might happen. SMART-Gilas needs Japeth, and Japeth will also need SMART Gilas (improvement of skills and marketability)

LCM
07-12-2009, 03:38 AM

MANILA, Philippines – Arwind Santos finally got his wish to play for San Miguel Beer, the winningest team in the history of the Philippine Basketball Association.

Burger King team manager and incoming board chairman Lito Alvarez confirmed to GMANews.TV that they have already agreed to send the 6-foot-4 forward to the Beermen after their third-place finish in the ongoing Motolite-PBA Fiesta Conference.

The Beermen are still playing the Ginebra Gin Kings in the best-of-seven championship series.

None among the officials confirmed the trade although a highly-placed source revealed that Santos will be shipped in exchange for three players – 6-foot-9 Samigue Eman, 6-foot-5 burly forward Ken Bono and veteran shooting guard Chris Calaguio.

But Alvarez said they are still negotiating with San Miguel as to who are the players they will be getting in exchange of the former Far Eastern University stalwart, who wound up as bridesmaid for the MVP plum for two consecutive years.

“We’ve agreed to send Arwind to San Miguel right after the battle for third place," said Alvarez. “Right now, pinag-uusapan pa namin kung sino yung kapalit."

Santos has long expressed his interest to play with San Miguel. He played for Viva Mineral Water and Magnolia, San Miguel’s farm team in the Philippine Basketball League and won championships on top of individual accolades.

In search of a PBA title, Santos may finally get his chance to win it this time with the power-packed Beermen, the winnigest team in pro league’s history with 17 championships. He will join a squad that has superstars like Dondon Hontiveros, veterans Danny Ildefonso and Olsen Racela, slotmen Mick Pennisi and Dorian Pena, guard Mike Cortez, and up and coming superstars like Marc Pingris, Jay Washington, Bonbon Custodio and Jons Villanueva.

The Beermen, who are still battling the Ginebra Gin Kings for the best-of-seven championship series, also have Danny Seigle and Lordy Tugade, who are both on the injured list.

Asked about his thoughts on this new development, Burger King coach Yeng Guiao said he was not aware that Santos’ transfer to San Miguel has already been approved.

“I have no knowledge about this," said Guiao. “Maybe it’s management to management negotiations." – GMANews.TV

http://www.gmanews.tv/story/167170/Burger-King-ships-do-it-all-forward-Santos-to-San-Miguel

Arwind said before that he has already a contract in San Miguel even before the 2006 PBA Draft.But, Air21 drafted him for the #2 Pick.San Miguel Drafted Tenorio and Espinas for the #4 and #5 Pick.

rensquared
07-12-2009, 03:40 AM

Well said sir

LCM
07-12-2009, 03:56 AM

San Miguel is now getting FEU Players(Santos, Villanueva and even Marc Pingris).maybe because Ramon Ang(San Miguel's Pres.) was an FEU alumnus.

Coke_Hero
07-12-2009, 04:37 AM
the trade dealing santos to smb is not too bad for BK, they got two young big men, who has a lot of potential to make waves in the coming seasons of the PBA, im just not sure about calaguio though, bon-bon is a better catch imo, bono and eman will blossom under yeng's system coz they'll be given a chance to showcase their wares, unlike before they look like smb's mascots at the sidelines :D

They have JR Quiñahan and Beau Belga on board, so why get Ken Bono and Sam Eman? It would've been a smarter trade if they went with Jonas Villanueva and/or Bon-Bon Custodio plus some wing guys. BK's backcourt is'nt really that stellar (with aging PGs Wynne Arboleda and Egay Billones on board)

LCM
07-12-2009, 04:41 AM
They have JR Quiñahan and Beau Belga on board, so why get Ken Bono and Sam Eman? It would've been a smarter trade if they went with Jonas Villanueva and/or Bon-Bon Custodio plus some wing guys. BK's backcourt is'nt really that stellar (with aging PGs Wynne Arboleda and Egay Billones on board)

I think Burger King must get Calaguio, Custodio and Eman/Tugade instead of getting Bono.They have so many bigs like Belga , Quinahan, Dharma, Rodriguez and Yee.and they are planning to get Aguilar in the Draft.

Big Ticket
07-12-2009, 08:04 AM
They have JR Quiñahan and Beau Belga on board, so why get Ken Bono and Sam Eman?

marketing purposes for their whopper burger hehehe

lovejones
07-12-2009, 01:27 PM

bwahahaha

nardy
07-12-2009, 05:15 PM
I think Burger King must get Calaguio, Custodio and Eman/Tugade instead of getting Bono.They have so many bigs like Belga , Quinahan, Dharma, Rodriguez and Yee.and they are planning to get Aguilar in the Draft.

it's because Burger King like Barako Bull is on the Red and needs the money. They are having a hard time maintaining their teams and are making ways to survive and avoid disbanding its teams.

ricodgame
07-12-2009, 05:38 PM

everytime his team trades one of his stars he always says that he has no knowledge.. :D

saints13
07-12-2009, 05:52 PM
everytime his team trades one of his stars he always says that he has no knowledge.. :D

I have doubts too.. is he that soft on the managements that he doesn't have an idea? :) anyways..God bless Arwind..I hope SMB will unload some of its promising bench players..like Bono and Eman..they will improve under Coach Yeng's team, no doubt about that. :)

SmartGilasFan
07-12-2009, 06:52 PM

LOL :D:D Almost made me choke while eating my burger king

LordOfLeyte
07-13-2009, 09:03 AM
Since we're talking about BK, how come I don't see BK commercials on local TV?

When Air21 re-branded to BK, I was expecting an Aggresive market campaign. There could be factors that I am unaware thereof.

We also want a BK in Leyte.:D

nardy
07-13-2009, 10:49 AM

When Air21 re-branded to BK, I was expecting an Aggresive market campaign. There could be factors that I am unaware thereof.

The company has not enough capital as it is just a partnership among friends unlike before when the Ayala Group was the holder of the local franchise.

kerouac82
07-13-2009, 11:39 AM
The company has not enough capital as it is just a partnership among friends unlike before when the Ayala Group was the holder of the local franchise.

I think the Ayala Group let go of the BK franchise around the same time they sold Purefoods to SMC. Correct me if I'm wrong.

saints13
07-13-2009, 02:41 PM

I wonder why they don't use their bb players for tv ads. :)

ankle breaker
07-13-2009, 06:16 PM
San Miguel is now getting FEU Players(Santos, Villanueva and even Marc Pingris).maybe because Ramon Ang(San Miguel's Pres.) was an FEU alumnus.
im sorry bro but marc pingris is not an ex-tamaraw but an ex-jaguar. he's a PSBA alumnus.

nardy
07-13-2009, 06:34 PM
im sorry bro but marc pingris is not an ex-tamaraw but an ex-jaguar. he's a PSBA alumnus.

After PSBA Marc Pingris had a stint with the RP Youth Team and was recruited by FEU and had actually enrolled with the school. But when the UAAP eligibility committee found out that he once played for a commercial team, Marc was not allowed to suit up with the Tamaraws. He instead played for the RP Cebuana Lhuillier Team.

nardy
07-13-2009, 06:37 PM
I think the Ayala Group let go of the BK franchise around the same time they sold Purefoods to SMC. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think you are right as they concentrated on their Malls and Realty business. They also closed their Coney Island Ice Cream business.

Servinio
07-13-2009, 07:00 PM
After PSBA Marc Pingris had a stint with the RP Youth Team and was recruited by FEU and had actually enrolled with the school. But when the UAAP eligibility committee found out that he once played for a commercial team, Marc was not allowed to suit up with the Tamaraws. He instead played for the RP Cebuana Lhuillier Team.
First, Jean Marc Pingris was recruited by FEU out of Benigno Aldana National High School in Pozzorubio, Pangasinan.

After spending his freshman year at FEU as a benchwarmer, he transferred to PSBA-QC and then found his way in the 2000 RP Young Men's Team of Coach David Zamar.

When Coach Zamar was fired by PSBA, Pingris then enrolled at UE to rejoin his coach. At that time, he was recovering from an ACL injury sustained in the summer of 2001.

Feeling the need to support his family, Pingris decided to forfeit his varsity eligibility to turn pro via the MBA's Cebu Gems in early 2002. However, the MBA closed shop midway through the season.

Pingris then jumped to the PBL via Welcoat where he managed to earn a spot on the 2003 SEA Games gold medal team before getting drafted by the PBA's FedEx in 2004.

The_Big_Cat
07-14-2009, 01:59 AM
FEDEX/Air21/Burger King has this penchant of trading away their players.

1. Yancy De Ocampo
2. RenRen Ritualo
3. Ranidel De Ocampo
4. Nino Canaleta
5. Marc Pingris
6. Yousif Aljamal
7. Mac Cardona
8. Jay Washington
9. JC Intal

and now

10. Arwind Santos

These guys were first round picks. For San Miguel, they will receive an excellent replacement for the injury-prone Danny Seigle.

weward
07-14-2009, 10:06 AM
coach yeng is very"kampante" that he'll get japeth..hehehe what an a$$hole..he is very greedy..why not let japeth play in team pinas or nbdl or euroleague...in team pinas japeth and gilas team might be able to join the olympics..and they might win in the asian games in dec 2010..and win in 2011 and qualify in 2012

donno
07-14-2009, 11:58 AM
FEDEX/Air21/Burger King has this penchant of trading away their players.

1. Yancy De Ocampo
2. RenRen Ritualo
3. Ranidel De Ocampo
4. Nino Canaleta
5. Marc Pingris
6. Yousif Aljamal
7. Mac Cardona
8. Jay Washington
9. JC Intal

and now

10. Arwind Santos

These guys were first round picks. For San Miguel, they will receive an excellent replacement for the injury-prone Danny Seigle.

imagine if these players are still with the Lina franchise, probably they already won at least 1 championship.

marjan
07-14-2009, 04:07 PM
Guys may I just butt in again. Kindly give naman some respect to Coach Yeng Guiao. The guy is just expressing his feelings so lets just give him the freedom to say what he desires. Like us, we also have our own desire and opinion, so we should respect his opinion in the same way that we want others to respect also our opinion. And one more thing, let us not put the words in a persons mouth. In the case of Japeth Aguilar, he has not yet specified his final decision whether to join the PBA draft or to pursue another thing, so let's give him the freedom to choose what he wants and let's not force words in his mouth. I believe he knows what is best for him (not what others think is best for him) so let's just give him the freedom to decide. And once he decides, let us respect his decision. Just my piece of advice. Thanks.

nardy
07-14-2009, 04:41 PM
Guys may I just butt in again. Kindly give naman some respect to Coach Yeng Guiao. The guy is just expressing his feelings so lets just give him the freedom to say what he desires. Like us, we also have our own desire and opinion, so we should respect his opinion in the same way that we want others to respect also our opinion. And one more thing, let us not put the words in a persons mouth. In the case of Japeth Aguilar, he has not yet specified his final decision whether to join the PBA draft or to pursue another thing, so let's give him the freedom to choose what he wants and let's not force words in his mouth. I believe he knows what is best for him (not what others think is best for him) so let's just give him the freedom to decide. And once he decides, let us respect his decision. Just my piece of advice. Thanks.

Please note it was player agent Danny Espiritu in his radio program who said Japeth is joining the PBA Draft.

RayV
07-14-2009, 05:02 PM
Damn, that Danny Espiritu again?? Geez why do I almost always hear not so good news whenever he speaks up or when his name gets involved?? Now I am again seeing bad trades (Arwind Santos trade) and bad moves (Japeth joining PBA draft)!

Hays!!! :mad:

saints13
07-14-2009, 05:08 PM
First, Jean Marc Pingris was recruited by FEU out of Benigno Aldana National High School in Pozzorubio, Pangasinan.

After spending his freshman year at FEU as a benchwarmer, he transferred to PSBA-QC and then found his way in the 2000 RP Young Men's Team of Coach David Zamar.

When Coach Zamar was fired by PSBA, Pingris then enrolled at UE to rejoin his coach. At that time, he was recovering from an ACL injury sustained in the summer of 2001.

Feeling the need to support his family, Pingris decided to forfeit his varsity eligibility to turn pro via the MBA's Cebu Gems in early 2002. However, the MBA closed shop midway through the season.

Pingris then jumped to the PBL via Welcoat where he managed to earn a spot on the 2003 SEA Games gold medal team before getting drafted by the PBA's FedEx in 2004.

my golly Mr. Servinio..you're still the Wikipedia Man here in Phil-Interbasket.. keep those infos and facts coming :)

luzvimindo
07-14-2009, 05:45 PM
http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx...bCategoryId=69

TnT joins Japeth tug-of-war
By Nelson Beltran Updated July 15, 2009 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - If Japeth Aguilar decides to join the coming PBA rookie draft, Talk n Text is likely to work on a trade to acquire the No. 1 pick then use it on the 6-foot-9 behemoth.

Aguilar has two options in his playing career. One is to accept an offer for a three-year stint with the Smart Gilas RP team and the other to join the PBA draft where he could be the top pick.

The rights for the No. 1 pick belong to the Burger King Whoppers whose coach Yeng Guiao is also excited to have Aguilar in his team.

“Who would pass up on him? But I do hear words one team is now working to get our pick,” said Guiao.

“I would be very happy to have Aguilar in my team even for just one conference,” said Guiao, hinting he’s leaving Burger King after the 2009-2010 Philippine Cup to concentrate on his bid in the coming elections.

A Talk n Text insider admitted to The STAR that acquiring the No. 1 pick is an option the team is looking at.

“The problem is that we have a price to pay. For sure, they (Burger King) would also ask for a quality player in return,” said The STAR source.

The idea, apparently, is to acquire Aguilar’s rights then sign him to a lengthy contract that would allow the player to first play for Smart Gilas in international competitions.

Both Talk n Text and Smart Gilas are owned by telecommunications mogul Manny V. Pangilinan who also has stakes at Burger King.

But being sister teams, Talk n Text and Burger King would need a third party in working any trade transaction.

The other big names in the draft are La Salle’s Rico Maierhofer and Santo Tomas’ Jervy Cruz.

Aguilar has said he’ll make his decision on where to go after his stint with the Powerade RP team in the Jones Cup

SmartGilasFan
07-14-2009, 06:49 PM
http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx...bCategoryId=69

TnT joins Japeth tug-of-war
By Nelson Beltran Updated July 15, 2009 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - If Japeth Aguilar decides to join the coming PBA rookie draft, Talk n Text is likely to work on a trade to acquire the No. 1 pick then use it on the 6-foot-9 behemoth.

Aguilar has two options in his playing career. One is to accept an offer for a three-year stint with the Smart Gilas RP team and the other to join the PBA draft where he could be the top pick.

The rights for the No. 1 pick belong to the Burger King Whoppers whose coach Yeng Guiao is also excited to have Aguilar in his team.

“Who would pass up on him? But I do hear words one team is now working to get our pick,” said Guiao.

“I would be very happy to have Aguilar in my team even for just one conference,” said Guiao, hinting he’s leaving Burger King after the 2009-2010 Philippine Cup to concentrate on his bid in the coming elections.

A Talk n Text insider admitted to The STAR that acquiring the No. 1 pick is an option the team is looking at.

“The problem is that we have a price to pay. For sure, they (Burger King) would also ask for a quality player in return,” said The STAR source.

The idea, apparently, is to acquire Aguilar’s rights then sign him to a lengthy contract that would allow the player to first play for Smart Gilas in international competitions.

Both Talk n Text and Smart Gilas are owned by telecommunications mogul Manny V. Pangilinan who also has stakes at Burger King.

But being sister teams, Talk n Text and Burger King would need a third party in working any trade transaction.

The other big names in the draft are La Salle’s Rico Maierhofer and Santo Tomas’ Jervy Cruz.

Aguilar has said he’ll make his decision on where to go after his stint with the Powerade RP team in the Jones Cup

Wow MVP must really like japeth to play for smart gilas.

nardy
07-14-2009, 07:06 PM
As per Malou Aquino of Abante.com.ph, Rico Villanueva is on his way out of Purefoods and would be going to Talk N Text. This might be a way to make room for Willie Miller's transfer.

jesronne
07-14-2009, 11:39 PM
As per Malou Awquino of Abante.com.ph, Rico Villanueva is on his way out of Purefoods and would be going to Talk N Text. This might be a way to make room for Willie Miller's transfer.

this is also a move by TnT inorder to get the services of Aguilar... rico maybe will be a trade bait for TnT

The_Big_Cat
07-15-2009, 02:46 AM
As per Malou Awquino of Abante.com.ph, Rico Villanueva is on his way out of Purefoods and would be going to Talk N Text. This might be a way to make room for Willie Miller's transfer.

I like this scenario. Willie Miller joining his former Red Bull teammate and fellow Letran Knight Kerby Raymundo.

If Japeth goes number 1, Purefoods may go with either Maierhoffer, Jervy Cruz or Chris Ross.

leemonyo
07-15-2009, 02:51 AM
I like this scenario. Willie Miller joining his former Red Bull teammate and fellow Letran Knight Kerby Raymundo.

If Japeth goes number 1, Purefoods may go with either Maierhoffer, Jervy Cruz or Chris Ross.

probably RG will get Maierhoffer if he have a chance... to add to his collection off papables :D

CoJ
07-15-2009, 07:35 AM
probably RG will get Maierhoffer if he have a chance... to add to his collection off papables :D

BTW who's the GM of PureFoods? John Osmena?

CoJ
07-15-2009, 07:40 AM

I'm also waiting for a BK ad, last year when BK was a PBL team, they used their players in a promo (I think it was Marcy Arellano and 3 other BK whoppers)

Quiniahan, Belga and Sharma would look good on those adds

Sakamoto
07-16-2009, 06:26 AM
Please note it was player agent Danny Espiritu in his radio program who said Japeth is joining the PBA Draft.
Its every saturday 11-12nn on 918 am band

he is also the one who divulged the news on arwind trade and i heard it live on his radio program.

Danny e. is asking the fans and the media not to talk anymore about arwind's trade but he is the one who informed us about the trade through his radio program.

nardy
07-16-2009, 07:02 AM
Its every saturday 11-12nn on 918 am band

he is also the one who divulged the news on arwind trade and i heard it live on his radio program.

Danny e. is asking the fans and the media not to talk anymore about arwind's trade but he is the one who informed us about the trade through his radio program.

he is afraid because he has no business announcing it as Arwind is under a different agent. He could have jumped the gun and actually made "kuryente".
In my point of view, he should have kept silent until after FIBA-Asia, Arwind and Guiao does not need this kind of distraction with a very important FIBA-Asia tournament just around the corner. He fully knows such a trade cannot be consumated until after the conference finals but still blurted it out, I do not know what his intentions are but for me it's bad timing.

Look at Guiao, he is defenitely distracted because he again felt slighted as Burger King did not consult him when there are actually talks going on. So now he is very vocal that he'll just stay for just one conference.

nardy
07-16-2009, 07:23 AM
And it is very common in sports that the decision of the athlete is dependent on what his parent(s) wanted him to do.

An example is LeBron James ..... that's why Coaches and Agents are more active in wooing the parent(s) instead of the athlete.

Sakamoto
07-16-2009, 07:47 AM
he is afraid because he has no business announcing it as Arwind is under a different agent. He could have jumped the gun and actually made "kuryente".
In my point of view, he should have kept silent until after FIBA-Asia, Arwind and Guiao does not need this kind of distraction with a very important FIBA-Asia tournament just around the corner. He fully knows such a trade cannot be consumated until after the conference finals but still blurted it out, I do not know what his intentions are but for me it's bad timing.

Look at Guiao, he is defenitely distracted because he again felt slighted as Burger King did not consult him when there are actually talks going on. So now he is very vocal that he'll just stay for just one conference.
i believe arwind's agent is Danny E.

trans: nadulas lang talaga si danny e. may nagtanong kasi dun sa radio program nila regarding arwind's trade kung totoo ayun nasabi nya na hindi dapat. Then nung hapon na may naglabasan nang news.

nardy
07-16-2009, 07:57 AM
i believe arwind's agent is Danny E.

trans: nadulas lang talaga si danny e. may nagtanong kasi dun sa radio program nila regarding arwind's trade kung totoo ayun nasabi nya na hindi dapat. Then nung hapon na may naglabasan nang news.

The agent of Arwind Santos is Dondon Monterverde since the time he was discovered in Pampanga and brought in by Allan Trinidad.

But in this business "sulutan" is normal.

Sakamoto
07-16-2009, 08:09 AM
The agent of Arwind Santos is Dondon Monterverde since the time he was discovered in Pampanga and brought in by Allan Trinidad.

But in this business "sulutan" is normal.

agree in sulutan system not only in basketball even in boxing. Remember that professional sports is business.

c_d
07-17-2009, 03:42 PM
Ginebra to re-sign Jayjay, Caguioa (http://mb.com.ph/articles/211424/ginebra-resign-jayjay-caguioa)

By WAYLON GALVEZ
July 17, 2009, 7:41pm

Jayjay Helterbrand and Mark Caguioa are expected to be re-signed when Barangay Ginebra starts negotiations with 14 players whose contracts have expired.

While the Kings’ coaching staff has the prerogative to choose who will be retained, Helterbrand and Caguioa will be retained, according to San Miguel Corp. basketball operations chief Robert Non.

“They’re the team’s franchise players,” said Non.

The other Ginebra players whose contracts expire this season are Eric Menk, Sunday Salvacion, Chris Pacana, Willie Wilson, Rafi Reavis, Paul Artadi, Ronald Tubid and Chico Lanete.

At presstime, the Kings were playing against San Miguel Beer last night for the Motolite-PBA Fiesta Cup crown at the Araneta Coliseum.

Caguioa’s contract expired last July 15 along with Junthy Valenzuela, Junjun Cabatu, Macky Escalona and JR Aquino expired last July 15. Billy Mamaril’s contract ends on July 30.

Caguioa actually missed the entire 2008-09 PBA season because of tendonitis. He underwent rehabilitation program in the United States before returning recently.

“Si Mark (Caguioa) naman okay na ‘yung rehab n’ya. Babalik lang uli s’ya sa US for vacation. Pero once na umuwi s’ya dito, conditioning na lang and he’ll be ready for the all-Filipino (Philippine Cup) next season,” Non said.

The Kings have four players who are still under contract, and these are Cyrus Baguio, JC Intal, Homer Se, and Doug Kramer.

San Miguel, on the other hand, is expected to keep franchise players Danny Seigle and Dondon Hontiveros.

Seigle, who is recuperating from a back injury in the US, has a contract with SMC that expired last July 15 along with Lordy Tugade. Hontiveros’ deal, on the other hand, will end on July 31.

The contracts of Jonas Villanueva, the Most Improved Player winner this season, Marc Pingris, Mike Cortez, Dorian Peña, Olsen Racela, Wesley Gonzales, Chris Calaguio, and Sam Eman also ended with the conclusion of the Finals.

There are 46 other players who are expected to seek contract extension with their respective mother clubs or sign new deals with other teams.

nardy
07-19-2009, 03:43 PM
http://insidesports.ph/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/insidesports.gif

PBA FACED WITH RED BULL DILEMMA
Posted on 19 July 2009

http://insidesports.ph/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/barrios-13.jpg http://insidesports.ph/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/chua-pba3.jpg

PBA Commissioner Sonny Barrios and the board of governors headed by chairman Joaqui Trillo face a dilemma with regard to the Red Bull franchise following complaints by several players including those traded, of not being paid.

The problem has been discussed in whispers in recent days after John Arigo raised the issue of non-payment with Commissioner Sonny Barrios and player agent Danny Espiritu also reported to Barrios on behalf of eight players he manages including Cyrus Baguio who was traded by Red Bull to Ginebra but still has some collectibles.

Trillo said the PBA has to act to protect its reputation even as it tries to find the best way to prevent damage to Red Bull which reportedly suffered another setback when a former Red Bull agent started importing the product directly from Thailand and bypassed the authorized sole distributor in the Philippines .

www.insidesports.ph, Standard Today and Viva Sports learned that there have been efforts by former PBA chairman Tony Chua to sell the franchise without success even as he claimed in a conversation with us last week that there were several interested parties standing in line.

However, except for some indication that Talk N’ Text showed interest in acquiring the franchise to back up its partial investment in Burger King so as to be at par with San Miguel Corporation which owns three teams – San Miguel Beer, Barangay Ginebra and Purefoods – former chairman Ricky Vargas said they were no longer interested because the asking price was well above its market value after Chua disposed of his star players one after the other.

Indications are that the Red Bull equity in the league is more than enough to pay off the outstanding obligations to the players which will be the first priority of the PBA in case it decides to take that route.

Some players have argued that Red Bull cannot hold them to their contracts since the team has clearly violated the provisions of the Uniform Players Contract.

Commissioner Barrios realizes that the league is bigger than any one single team and has said they need to take “quick and decisive action while at the same time being fair to Red Bull as part of due process.”

Some governors have asked Barrios to send a formal communication to Red Bull and inquire about how the management plans to handle the problem even as it is clear that the team’s equity cannot be used to pay outstanding obligations to players without the authorization of the franchise holder.

Red Bull coach Yeng Guiao resigned some months ago and moved to Burger King while former team manager and later consultant, well-known TV analyst Andy Jao resigned last June providing a hint of the team’s financial troubles.

KevinDurant
07-19-2009, 03:49 PM
I'd rather have MVP put all his money on our NT than buying another PBA team.:)

donspark47
07-20-2009, 12:56 PM
Ginebra to re-sign Jayjay, Caguioa (http://mb.com.ph/articles/211424/ginebra-resign-jayjay-caguioa)

By WAYLON GALVEZ

Jayjay Helterbrand and Mark Caguioa are expected to be re-signed when Barangay Ginebra starts negotiations with 14 players whose contracts have expired.

While the Kings’ coaching staff has the prerogative to choose who will be retained, Helterbrand and Caguioa will be retained, according to San Miguel Corp. basketball operations chief Robert Non.

The other Ginebra players whose contracts expire this season are Eric Menk, Sunday Salvacion, Chris Pacana, Willie Wilson, Rafi Reavis, Paul Artadi, Ronald Tubid and Chico Lanete.

At presstime, the Kings were playing against San Miguel Beer last night for the Motolite-PBA Fiesta Cup crown at the Araneta Coliseum.

Caguioa’s contract expired last July 15 along with Junthy Valenzuela, Junjun Cabatu, Macky Escalona and JR Aquino expired last July 15. Billy Mamaril’s contract ends on July 30.

Caguioa actually missed the entire 2008-09 PBA season because of tendonitis. He underwent rehabilitation program in the United States before returning recently.

“Si Mark (Caguioa) naman okay na ‘yung rehab n’ya. Babalik lang uli s’ya sa US for vacation. Pero once na umuwi s’ya dito, conditioning na lang and he’ll be ready for the all-Filipino (Philippine Cup) next season,” Non said.

The Kings have four players who are still under contract, and these are Cyrus Baguio, JC Intal, Homer Se, and Doug Kramer.

San Miguel, on the other hand, is expected to keep franchise players Danny Seigle and Dondon Hontiveros.

Seigle, who is recuperating from a back injury in the US, has a contract with SMC that expired last July 15 along with Lordy Tugade. Hontiveros’ deal, on the other hand, will end on July 31.

The contracts of Jonas Villanueva, the Most Improved Player winner this season, Marc Pingris, Mike Cortez, Dorian Peña, Olsen Racela, Wesley Gonzales, Chris Calaguio, and Sam Eman also ended with the conclusion of the Finals.

There are 46 other players who are expected to seek contract extension with their respective mother clubs or sign new deals with other teams.

I hope BGK is still intact for 14's man

Rafi Reavis - C - Billy Mamaril - Homer Se
Erick Menk - F - Doug Kramer - Jun-jun Cabatu
Ronald Tubid - F - Sunday Salvacion - JC Intal
Mark Caguioa - G - Cyrus Baguio
Jay-jay Helterbrand - G - Chico Lanete - Paul Artadi

Junthy Valenzuela - needs for a trade to give these man a playing time... how about to trade in to the Rain or Shine team these guy can help a lot in Guard post. and a veteran.

donspark47
07-20-2009, 12:58 PM

By WAYLON GALVEZ

I hope BGK is still intact for 14's man

Rafi Reavis - C - Billy Mamaril - Homer Se
Erick Menk - F - Doug Kramer - Jun-jun Cabatu
Ronald Tubid - F - Sunday Salvacion - JC Intal
Mark Caguioa - G - Cyrus Baguio
Jay-jay Helterbrand - G - Chico Lanete - Paul Artadi

Junthy Valenzuela - needs for a trade to give these man a playing time... how about to trade in to the Rain or Shine team these guy can help a lot in Guard post. and a veteran.

CoJ
07-21-2009, 12:27 AM
the only road ahead for RedBull for next season is either disband, leave of absence or sell the franchise.......Sad to see Redbull get bankcrupt....I guess we'll be expecting a dispersal draft in the coming months........

reamily
07-21-2009, 12:55 AM
I'd rather have MVP put all his money on our NT than buying another PBA team.:)

But much better make a National team and make it a pba team after three years make it your standard bearer:D:D:D SG:D:D

conrod_bearing
07-21-2009, 04:22 AM
the only road ahead for RedBull for next season is either disband, leave of absence or sell the franchise.......Sad to see Redbull get bankcrupt....I guess we'll be expecting a dispersal draft in the coming months........[English or provide translation]

PUGOtipm
07-23-2009, 01:46 AM
Alaska extends LA, Thoss pacts
Thursday, July 23, 2009 3:15:00 AM

The Alaska Aces secured their lineup for the next three years by signing up point guard LA Tenorio and center Sonny Thoss to identical three-year pacts worth P12.6 million at the maximum allowable salary in the Philippine Basketball Association of P350,000 a month.

Tenorio signed the contract at the Alaska Milk Corporation head office in Makati last Monday. It came on the heels of the renewal of Alaska center Thoss and swingman Brandon Cablay last week.

Tenorio averaged 11 points, five rebounds, seven assists and two steals in 36 minutes per game as the starting point guard of the Aces.

"He is a fighter even though he is small," said Trillo. "He deserves the maximum contract. He is our only point guard in the team and he is a leader even though he is very young."

Tenorio was himself excited at the prospect of playing another three seasons for the Aces. He thanked Trillo and the Alaska management for the confidence in him.

"I feel the pressure of their expectations but for me it is more of a challenge. I am grateful that they trust me and look at me that way. I have to live up to their expectation," said Tenorio.

Thoss was signed to the same terms as Tenorio -- three years for the maximum allowable amount in the PBA of P350,000.

Cablay, who is coming back from what many thought was a career-ending injury, was signed for a year at P150,000 a month or a total of P1.8 million.

Thoss welcomed the chance to continue playing for the Aces which drafted him as the team's first overall pick in 2004.

"I'm very happy to renew my contract with Alaska," said Thoss through his agent Charlie Dy. "Alaska management and the coaches have been very supportive. I love this team because we're like one big happy family here."

Dy said center JayR Reyes of the Rain or Shine Elasto Painters has likewise signed a three-year pact also worth P12.6 million.

Reyes contract will be effective Aug. 16, 2009 to Aug. 15, 2012.

Trillo said Alaska offered Cablay a two-year pact. Cablay however asked for the one-year contract instead perhaps hoping for a chance to prove himself in his first year and get a better deal afterwards.

Cablay said he needed a few months to get back into game shape and be able to shoe what he could do.

"I need to get stronger to approximate my playing in previous years in the PBA," said Cablay. "I do not necessarily have to get back to the gym. I need to work on specific drills. I am happy to be back with Alaska. I will have Alaska trainers Gus Vargas and Mike Braga helping get me back into basketball shape." The Philippine Star

w0otz
07-24-2009, 02:00 PM
The prestigious number "1" pick of Burger King to Purefoods for Rico Villanueva, PJ Simon, and the number 2 pick.... Hmmm lets see. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

w0otz
07-24-2009, 02:07 PM
^and Rich Alvarez, I forgot. :D

PUGOtipm
07-24-2009, 02:38 PM
The prestigious number "1" pick of Burger King to Purefoods for Rico Villanueva, PJ Simon, and the number 2 pick.... Hmmm lets see. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
wont happen... 1st reason kerby will get jealous of japeth and will demand for a trade because he will be out-shine by japeth. 2nd PF have too many bigmen already. 3rd and the most likely reason this wont happen BKW would not want EXPENSIVE PLAYERS on their roster except maybe for Gary David and wynne Arboleda whom they built they team around.

c_d
07-24-2009, 05:15 PM
Purefoods offers 3 top players for Aguilar (http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=489965&publicationSubCategoryId=69)

Updated July 25, 2009
12:00 AM

TAIPEI – Purefoods joined the tug-of-war for the services of Japeth Aguilar the day after the 6-foot-9 behemoth officially made himself available for the coming PBA draft.

Burger King governor and team manager Lito Alvarez told The STAR in an overseas call that they’ve been approached by Purefoods offering a trade deal involving the Whoppers’ rights for the No. 1 pick.

Alvarez said they could have Enrico Villanueva, Peter June Simon, Rich Alvarez and Purefoods’ No. 3 pick in exchange for Aguilar.

“ Both teams are studying the matter. On our part, we’ll make the final decision upon coach Yeng Guiao’s arrival (from the Jones Cup competition),” said Alvarez.

“The question right now is whether Japeth is really that good. We would get practically a first five on what’s being offered to us,” Alvarez added.

If they trade picks with Purefoods, Burger King would instead get Rico Maierhofer.

“It’s a tempting offer but based on newspaper reports, it appears coach Yeng really wants Japeth,” Alvarez said.

Talk n Text coach Chot Reyes has also said they want Aguilar. Their problem is what to offer to Burger King in exchange for the promising young player.
– Nelson Beltran

luzvimindo
07-25-2009, 12:06 AM
http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/212630/aguilar-not-shooin-no-1-pick

Aguilar not shoo-in as No. 1 pick
Burger King may select ex-La Salle star
By WAYLON GALVEZ
July 24, 2009, 8:50pm

Burger King may pass up the opportunity of acquiring the celebrated Japeth Aguilar in favor of Rico Maierhofer and hopes to land three key players from Purefoods TJ Hotdogs, according to team governor Lito Alvarez.

Although Burger King coach Yeng Guiao has already made his wishes known that he wants Aguilar, Alvarez said the final decision rests on management.

The incoming PBA chairman said he asked Guiao to assess the performance of Aguilar.

“That’s what we agreed, since coach Yeng is coaching Japeth, I told him that I’ll also watch the games of the Philippine team (on television) and make my own assessment,” Alvarez said.

“Then we’ll discuss again when he (Guiao) comes back from the Jones Cup. We’ll have a clearer picture on what we’ll do with the top pick.”

Despite Guiao’s glowing endorsement of Aguilar, Alvarez seems unimpressed.

Alvarez said that he would rather get the six-foot-six Maierhofer, a former La Salle Archer, with the hope of landing Enrico Villanueva, Rich Alvarez, and Peter June Simon from Purefoods through a trade.

The incoming PBA board chairman said talks are under way between Burger King and Purefoods, teams that own the first two picks in the PBA draft set on Aug. 2 at the Market! Market! Place in Taguig City.

Purefoods coach Ryan Gregorio confirmed the talks, but nothing has been agreed upon at the moment.

“We are talking to Burger King and also to other teams to look at various possibilities to strengthen and balance our roster,” Gregorio said. “Different options are being discussed. I am sure that as we near the draft, we will see a clearer picture on the direction of our franchise with regard to player movement.”

“One thing is certain though, the decisions that we will make will definitely make us more competitive in the coming season,” Gregorio added.

Aside from the No. 1 pick, the Whopper own No. 4 and No. 9 selections.

The No. 2 pick is actually owned by the disbanded Shell squad.

By passing up Aguilar, Alvarez said, the Giants can select the son of former pro Peter Aguilar.

In return, Alvarez said Purefoods will release Villanueva, Alvarez, and Simon to the Whopper.

“Alam naman natin lahat na malaki talaga ang future ni Japeth. But for me, having Enrico, Rich, and PJ Simon, and picking Maierhofer and (former PBL MVP) Chris Ross (with the fourth pick), lalakas ang team namin,” Alvarez said.

The 6-foot-10 Aguilar, who played for the Ateneo Blue Eagles before transferring to the Western Kentucky University, is currently playing for the PowerAde Team Pilipinas in the Jones Cup in Taipei.

Aguilar made himself available for the draft when he signed the application over the weekend before the national team left for Taipei.

i want to know the reaction of purefoods fans with these news, will they be happy or sad:D

MrEndshiftresign
07-25-2009, 12:28 AM
Purefoods offers 3 top players for Aguilar (http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=489965&publicationSubCategoryId=69)

Updated July 25, 2009
12:00 AM

TAIPEI – Purefoods joined the tug-of-war for the services of Japeth Aguilar the day after the 6-foot-9 behemoth officially made himself available for the coming PBA draft.

Burger King governor and team manager Lito Alvarez told The STAR in an overseas call that they’ve been approached by Purefoods offering a trade deal involving the Whoppers’ rights for the No. 1 pick.

Alvarez said they could have Enrico Villanueva, Peter June Simon, Rich Alvarez and Purefoods’ No. 3 pick in exchange for Aguilar.

“ Both teams are studying the matter. On our part, we’ll make the final decision upon coach Yeng Guiao’s arrival (from the Jones Cup competition),” said Alvarez.

“The question right now is whether Japeth is really that good. We would get practically a first five on what’s being offered to us,” Alvarez added.

If they trade picks with Purefoods, Burger King would instead get Rico Maierhofer.

“It’s a tempting offer but based on newspaper reports, it appears coach Yeng really wants Japeth,” Alvarez said.

Talk n Text coach Chot Reyes has also said they want Aguilar. Their problem is what to offer to Burger King in exchange for the promising young player.
– Nelson Beltran

interesting. purefoods has very seldom been big on young players, particularly rookies. but when said young player is a potential franchise player, i.e. james yap, or the class of 1988, or in this case, japeth aguilar, they're sure to give him playing time and do their best to hold on to him for quite a long time...

MrEndshiftresign
07-25-2009, 12:30 AM
the only road ahead for RedBull for next season is either disband, leave of absence or sell the franchise.......Sad to see Redbull get bankcrupt....I guess we'll be expecting a dispersal draft in the coming months........

damn recession... :mad:

at the rate things are going, we may be seeing a six-team league in due time, just like we did in the mid '80s...sana naman hindi. (translation - hopefully not.) i think it's not only red bull that's suffering from the financial crunch among PBA teams.

inasmuch as i don't want to sound pessimistic, you know what happens when there are less PBA jobs available...you get more hard-luck cases like the late alex clarino and teddy alfarero. these two players saw their careers end in the lean-and-mean era of the PBA, and it didn't take them long to slide into poverty...

Cammomile
07-25-2009, 12:45 AM
damn recession... :mad:

at the rate things are going, we may be seeing a six-team league in due time, just like we did in the mid '80s...sana naman hindi. (translation - hopefully not.) i think it's not only red bull that's suffering from the financial crunch among PBA teams.

inasmuch as i don't want to sound pessimistic, you know what happens when there are less PBA jobs available...you get more hard-luck cases like the late alex clarino and teddy alfarero. these two players saw their careers end in the lean-and-mean era of the PBA, and it didn't take them long to slide into poverty...

I wish some of the bigger companys in the Philippines starts forming teams.
Such as jollibee 7/11, or EvenMalls

elyctricfan
07-25-2009, 12:51 AM
marc pingris will stay in SMB...

SMB is not planning to trade Pingris to PF and Pingris also dont want to be traded

CoJ
07-25-2009, 03:30 AM
I wish some of the bigger companys in the Philippines starts forming teams.
Such as jollibee 7/11, or EvenMalls

I hope more companies would see the PBA as a viable investment and advertising opportunity.

I hope, instead of financing NU, Henry Sy should have purchased his own PBA team (SM Primes), sad to say, the PBA right now does not appeal to these companies.

The UAAP and NCAA seems to be a better financial investment (i.e. DLSU-Fil Oil/ICTSI/Globe, UST-Duralite,Letran-Toyota Otis, etc) since these schools already have a market that is constant (students, faculty and alumni)

Apparently Burger King is also in financial woes, I had the feeling that Coca Cola, after being purchased by an independent group from the Conjuanco conglomoerate, is also financially strapped.

w0otz
07-25-2009, 03:37 AM
marc pingris will stay in SMB...

SMB is not planning to trade Pingris to PF and Pingris also dont want to be traded

I really hope so, Purefoods is trying to get Japeth..so leave Pingris to SMB.

Binigay na, wala ng bawian. :p

ma4ma
07-25-2009, 10:57 AM
BK, Purefoods working on multi-player trade deal

Burger King is giving Purefoods a very tempting offer that the Tender Juicy Giants could possibly not refuse.

BK is willing to trade its draft rights for Japeth Aguilar to the TJ Giants in exchange for three players plus its No. 2 pick in next month’s Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) Annual Rookie Draft.

This was according to Burger King board governor and incoming PBA chairman Lito Alvarez who told GMANews.TV, in an interview Friday, that negotiations are underway for the four-player deal.

Alvarez said they are now negotiating with Purefoods of possibly getting Enrico Villanueva, Peter June Simon and Rich Alvarez, and its No.2 pick in exchange for Aguilar.

“If I can get Rico Maierhofer in the coming draft then let go of the chance of picking Japeth Aguilar but will get three marquee players in Villanueva, Simon and Alvarez (instead), I think it would be a great deal for us," said Alvarez.

The 6-foot-9 Aguilar is expected to be this year’s top rookie pick in the August 2 draft at the Market! Market! Activity Center in Taguig City.

Alvarez said the former Western Kentucky University standout boosted his stock with his impressive performance in the William Jones Cup tournament while playing for Powerade-Team Pilipinas.

For Purefoods board governor Rene Pardo, Burger King’s offer on Aguilar is “very tempting."

“Who will pass up on the opportunity of securing a 6-foot-9 forward and trained in the United States? I mean, this only comes once in a lifetime and we will be more than happy to get Japeth if given the chance. But I think four players in exchange of Aguilar is too much. Maybe we should get another player in return," said Pardo.

Pardo and Alvarez will meet on Monday to further discuss the negotiations in time before the August 2 draft.

Aside from having the No. pick, Burger King also holds Nos. 3 and 8 while Purefoods will draft second.

The Giants are also reportedly working on a separate deal to get the No.3 draft rights of the Whopper. – GMANews.TV

Big Ticket
07-25-2009, 11:55 AM
“Who will pass up on the opportunity of securing a 6-foot-9 forward and trained in the United States? I mean, this only comes once in a lifetime and we will be more than happy to get Japeth if given the chance.[B] But I think four players in exchange of Aguilar is too much. Maybe we should get another player in return," said Pardo.

i really think so too....PF will be too thin on the backcourt if they lose simon and not get any guard in return...their frontcourt will still be ok even if they lose enrico and rich with kerby, adducul, allado and salvador still there...

but really, what they need is a new COACH!

ma4ma
07-25-2009, 11:59 AM
i really think so too....PF will be too thin on the backcourt if they lose simon and not get any guard in return...their frontcourt will still be ok even if they lose enrico and rich with kerby, adducul, allado and salvador still there...

but really, what they need is a new COACH!

:D:D i agree sir!:p

logre23
07-26-2009, 05:12 AM
Ginebra joins chase for Aguilar
By WAYLON GALVEZ
July 25, 2009, 7:48pm

Barangay Ginebra has sounded out Burger King over the possibility of obtaining its No. 1 pick in the PBA draft, becoming the latest team to join the chase for prized amateur Japeth Aguilar.

Burger King governor Lito Alvarez Saturday said he talked to Kings coach Jong Uichico and discussed the possibility of Ginebra acquiring Aguilar, the six-foot-10 former Ateneo Blue Eagle.

“Jong said they’re open to negotiations and practically offering any member of his team for Aguilar,” said Alvarez during a phone interview Saturday.

Alvarez bumped into Uichico during a wedding reception they attended Friday night.

Uichico confirmed the chance meeting.

“Everybody is interested with him (Aguilar),” Uichico said. “But nothing is concrete. How to get him? That’s the question. And sino ba ang gusto nila (Burger King)? Kung possible naman, we can discuss it.”

Alvarez, however, said Ginebra has yet to make a formal offer, adding that Purefoods is the only club that has made a serious proposal.

Before deciding on what to do with its top draft pick, Alvarez said he would consult with team coach Yeng Guiao upon his return from the Jones Cup.

Guiao, also the PowerAde-Team Pilipinas coach, is pushing for Aguilar as Burger King’s top choice.

However, Alvarez said he’s more inclined on taking Rico Maierhofer and hopes that Purefoods will release Enrico Villanueva, Rich Alvarez and Peter Jun Simon to the Whopper.

Still, Alvarez said they are keeping their options open and are willing to accept offers from other squads.

Unconfirmed reports said Talk ‘N Text is also interested and is willing to part ways with 6-9 Yancy de Ocampo and three-point specialist Ren-Ren Ritualo who started their career with the Burger King franchise.

Alvarez said he has not received any feelers from the Phone Pals, although he disclosed that long before Aguilar joined the draft, TNT offered Ali Peek for their No. 1 pick.

Sought for a reaction, TNT deputy team manager Virgil Villavicencio and coach Chot Reyes said they are not aware of any talks for the acquisition of Aguilar.

“Wala pa kaming napag-uusapan (with the management),” Villavicencio said.

“I think any coach wants to have Japeth,” said Reyes. “If the opportunity presents itself, bakit hindi. But I’m not losing sleep over it. If it happens, it happens.”

Alvarez said having De Ocampo and Ritualo to their team is as enticing as the offer of Purefoods.

“Yancy is an experienced player, while Ren-Ren remains one of the deadliest shooters in the league. So having those two guys, and probably one more player, baka pwede pag-usapan,” Alvarez said.

If the deal with Purefoods pushes through, the Whopper will take Maierhofer as their top pick, allowing the Giants to grab Aguilar with their third overall selection.

The No. 2 pick is owned by the disbanded Shell team.

Aside from the top pick, Burger King also owns the No. 4 pick, which, if things go according to plan, Alvarez said they will use it by taking Chris Ross, the PBL reigning MVP.

Aguilar, 22, played for Ateneo for one season in the UAAP in 2005, and then joined the Hilltoppers of Western Kentucky University, a Division 1 school in the United States NCAA.

http://www.mb.com.ph/node/212733/ginebra-join

LCM
07-26-2009, 06:21 AM
By WAYLON GALVEZ

Barangay Ginebra has sounded out Burger King over the possibility of obtaining its No. 1 pick in the PBA draft, becoming the latest team to join the chase for prized amateur Japeth Aguilar.

Burger King governor Lito Alvarez Saturday said he talked to Kings coach Jong Uichico and discussed the possibility of Ginebra acquiring Aguilar, the six-foot-10 former Ateneo Blue Eagle.

“Jong said they’re open to negotiations and practically offering any member of his team for Aguilar,” said Alvarez during a phone interview Saturday.

Alvarez bumped into Uichico during a wedding reception they attended Friday night.

Uichico confirmed the chance meeting.

“Everybody is interested with him (Aguilar),” Uichico said. “But nothing is concrete. How to get him? That’s the question. And sino ba ang gusto nila (Burger King)? Kung possible naman, we can discuss it.”

Alvarez, however, said Ginebra has yet to make a formal offer, adding that Purefoods is the only club that has made a serious proposal.

Before deciding on what to do with its top draft pick, Alvarez said he would consult with team coach Yeng Guiao upon his return from the Jones Cup.

Guiao, also the PowerAde-Team Pilipinas coach, is pushing for Aguilar as Burger King’s top choice.

However, Alvarez said he’s more inclined on taking Rico Maierhofer and hopes that Purefoods will release Enrico Villanueva, Rich Alvarez and Peter Jun Simon to the Whopper.

Still, Alvarez said they are keeping their options open and are willing to accept offers from other squads.

Unconfirmed reports said Talk ‘N Text is also interested and is willing to part ways with 6-9 Yancy de Ocampo and three-point specialist Ren-Ren Ritualo who started their career with the Burger King franchise.

Alvarez said he has not received any feelers from the Phone Pals, although he disclosed that long before Aguilar joined the draft, TNT offered Ali Peek for their No. 1 pick.

Sought for a reaction, TNT deputy team manager Virgil Villavicencio and coach Chot Reyes said they are not aware of any talks for the acquisition of Aguilar.

“Wala pa kaming napag-uusapan (with the management),” Villavicencio said.

“I think any coach wants to have Japeth,” said Reyes. “If the opportunity presents itself, bakit hindi. But I’m not losing sleep over it. If it happens, it happens.”

Alvarez said having De Ocampo and Ritualo to their team is as enticing as the offer of Purefoods.

“Yancy is an experienced player, while Ren-Ren remains one of the deadliest shooters in the league. So having those two guys, and probably one more player, baka pwede pag-usapan,” Alvarez said.

If the deal with Purefoods pushes through, the Whopper will take Maierhofer as their top pick, allowing the Giants to grab Aguilar with their third overall selection.

The No. 2 pick is owned by the disbanded Shell team.

Aside from the top pick, Burger King also owns the No. 4 pick, which, if things go according to plan, Alvarez said they will use it by taking Chris Ross, the PBL reigning MVP.

Aguilar, 22, played for Ateneo for one season in the UAAP in 2005, and then joined the Hilltoppers of Western Kentucky University, a Division 1 school in the United States NCAA.

Aguilar for=Valenzuela, Kramer, Wilson and Escalona

LCM
07-26-2009, 07:52 AM
Trade Reavis, Valenzuela and Paul Artadi for Aguilar.

denbote
07-26-2009, 10:10 AM
Helterbrand for Aguilar

durden_tyler
07-26-2009, 10:40 AM
Oh well, now that everybody seems to be on the Japeth's sweepstakes, i wouldn't be surprised if my team, SMB joins the fun. After all, we are the deepest team in the league:

Assuming Bono, Eman and Calaguio is out (Santos trade)... i'd offer a deal BK can't refuse (and consider Yeng's wishlist for pseudo-role/star players)

Jay Washington (since Santos assumes his spot) + Pingris and the 10th pick for the 1st pick.

Depth charts after the trade:

SMB

Villanueva/Cortez/Racela
Hontiveros/Custodio
Santos/Gonzales
Aguilar/
Pena/Ildefonso

BK

Arboleda/Billones
David/Calaguio
Washington/Pingris
Rodriguez/Maierhofer*
Sharma/Eman/Bono

But if i am BK, i'd stick with Aguilar.

elyctricfan
07-26-2009, 11:01 AM
the Japeth Aguilar fever is hitting the PBA by storm.

but if SMB will chase Japeth Aguilar, this will be my players to be traded to BK.

Lordy Tugade + Dorian Pena or Mick Penissi + Wesley Gonzales with the 10-th pick in the draft for Japeth Aguilar

why?

The Center slot of SMB is aging with the departure of Sam Eman to other team in accomodating Arwind Santos.

kerouac82
07-26-2009, 12:25 PM
By WAYLON GALVEZ

Two seasons. 2004 and 2005. Missed some time in 2004 due to appendicitis.

mateosingko
07-26-2009, 01:11 PM
Is it true that Barako Bull traded Gabby Espinas to SLR's 6th draft pick?

CoJ
07-26-2009, 02:06 PM
it will be funny of Japeth turns out to be a bust ala Don Allado or Andy Seigle...I just can't understand all the hype

bognut
07-26-2009, 02:26 PM
it will be funny of Japeth turns out to be a bust ala Don Allado or Andy Seigle...I just can't understand all the hype

the only thing i can think he'll be a bust is if he'll bust his knees! or run over a ball in practice again! ;)

marjan
07-26-2009, 02:40 PM
There is a word going around the league that BK is trading their big name players to cut down on their budget, so what is the logic then in Lito Alvarez plan to get 3 more veteran players in exchange for their top pick! He must be out of his mind already unless he gets something very special from this trade. His team will be having an excess number of players in addition to their 3 picks this year, so where is he supposed to get the money to pay the salaries of all his players???

astig pinoy
07-27-2009, 04:11 AM
i hope japeth play in other country not in PBA sayang lang un galing nya hind naman sya ma hasa sa PBA wla nmn kc malalaki player like 6,8 playing on 3spot

bolabasket
07-27-2009, 04:24 AM
the next entity to enter the Japeth raffle will be Showbiz....

CoJ
07-27-2009, 05:56 AM
I still don't understand the hype surrounding Japeth Aguilar...Western Kentucky University is not exactly a competitive division 1 school, its mediocre at best.....................playing with the NCAA team was overglorified since he was the first "pure" filipino to play in the said collegiate league

just look at his stats http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=34659 not exactly remarkable unlike Gabe Norwood's contribution to George Mason..................

being invited to the NBDL is irrelevant, its just a training camp/try out for the rosters, not the summer league or the season proper (or pakonswelo de bobo nalamang)

these are the reasons why I am still not sold on japeth's potential.....
in the same manner we've over glorified the magnificence of Juan Luna and Felix Hidalgo (claiming that they are artistic geniuses despite the fact that they won a meaningless award on a city not known for the arts, Madrid)

I finally get why he decided to enter the draft this year... with a shallow draft, he needs to capitalize on all the hype and be drafted number 1......joining gilas would jeopardize his career as a pro since he is no longer a spring chicken and shoudd he decide to enter the draft 2 or 3 years from now, he might no longer be considered as a unanimous first pick....Striking iron while its hot...

if he's that good, shouldn't euroleague teams be offering him a contract?

luzvimindo
07-27-2009, 06:16 AM
I still don't understand the hype surrounding Japeth Aguilar...Western Kentucky University is not exactly a competitive division 1 school, its mediocre at best.....................playing with the NCAA team was overglorified since he was the first "pure" filipino to play in the said collegiate league

just look at his stats http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=34659 not exactly remarkable unlike Gabe Norwood's contribution to George Mason..................

being invited to the NBDL is irrelevant, its just a training camp/try out for the rosters, not the summer league or the season proper (or pakonswelo de bobo nalamang)

these are the reasons why I am still not sold on japeth's potential.....
in the same manner we've over glorified the magnificence of Juan Luna and Felix Hidalgo (claiming that they are artistic geniuses despite the fact that they won a meaningless award on a city not known for the arts, Madrid)

I finally get why he decided to enter the draft this year... with a shallow draft, he needs to capitalize on all the hype and be drafted number 1......joining gilas would jeopardize his career as a pro since he is no longer a spring chicken and shoudd he decide to enter the draft 2 or 3 years from now, he might no longer be considered as a unanimous first pick....Striking iron while its hot...

if he's that good, shouldn't euroleague teams be offering him a contract?

you have a point there specially if his batchmates in that draft will be the whole smart gilas players, but on the other hand if he had joined gilas and showed a dominating performance in his stint with the team he will still be top choice..just my opinion though..

CoJ
07-27-2009, 06:18 AM
you have a point there specially if his batchmates in that draft will be the whole smart gilas players, but on the other hand if he had joined gilas and showed a dominating performance in his stint with the team he will still be top choice..just my opinion though..

I hope that I am wrong with my speculation, japeth fulfilling his hype would be good for Filipino basketball.....But i have a strange feeling that he already peaked...