PDA

View Full Version : Liga de las Americas (2nd Season)

J-Mart
06-30-2008, 01:40 AM
Teams
Arecibo Capitanes (PUR)
Carolina Gigantes (PUR)
Peñarol de Mar del Plata (ARG)
Libertad Sunchales (ARG)
Regatas Corrientes (ARG)
Liceo (C.R.)
Pioneros de Quintana Roo (MEX)
Halcones de Xalapa (MEX)
Flamengo (BRA)
Biguá (URU)

post any news about the Liga on this thread :)

alermac
06-30-2008, 03:45 AM
Let's hope both teams can keep the most possible players from this lineups, because they are really something.

Argentinean representatives would be:

Peñarol de Mar del Plata (as defending champions)
Libertad de Sunchales (as LNB champions)
Regatas Corrientes (as Liga Sudamericana champions)

I promise to post the rosters as soon as they are finished, since LNB is now in offseason and players are still being signed.

Two other clubs that have earned their spots are:

Liceo (Costa Rica) - as Liga Centroamericana champions
Pioneros de Quintana Roo (Mexico) - as Liga Centroamericana finalists
Halcones de Xalapa (Mexico) - as LNBP champions
Flamengo (Brazil) - as National champions
Biguá (Uruguay) - as LUB champions

There are still some gaps to be filled, since some leagues aren't finished and FIBA Americas wants to involve more countries than last edition.

Nikoo
06-30-2008, 03:46 PM
Can't wait. I won 150 euros last year:D .

Who will represent USA - IBL, D-League or CBA?

mvblair
06-30-2008, 04:08 PM
Who will represent USA - IBL, D-League or CBA? I just spent a few minutes clicking around on the internet, but I have no idea. :(

JGX
06-30-2008, 09:19 PM

This would be a good event for a D-League team but I suspect they will just come up with some fake teams like last year.

J-Mart
06-30-2008, 09:36 PM
will Venezuela be represented this tournament?

alermac
07-01-2008, 02:39 AM
will Venezuela be represented this tournament?
It's really up to them. Last season Venezuelan LPB clubs declined, and they could possibly do it again because of the same issures that complicate BSN clubs.

Too soon to tell. Last season they were represented by an ABA team and a PBL select team. FIBA Americas' president said the NBDL has expressed interest in taking part, but it's a long way till November.

alermac
09-26-2008, 06:30 PM
FIBA Americas press release, from the meeting of their Executive Comittee:

"The Executive Committee decided to exclude the USA clubs from participating in the “Liga de las Americas”. FIBA Americas is studying some changes in the system of competition that will begin in December 2008."

J-Mart
09-30-2008, 10:41 AM
Carolina Gigantes (PUR) is considering to choose not to play the tournament since all their starting lineup and half their bench will not be available for the tournament.

Those players are:
Chris Burguess (Ukraine)
Angelo Reyes (Uruguay)
Alejandro "Bimbo" Carmona (Mexico)
Ebi Ere (Australia)
Filiberto Rivera (Germany)
Luis Villafañe (Mexico)
Alvin Cruz (Hungary)
Luis Rosa Clemente (Mexico)

Arecibo will miss Carlos Rivera (Poland), Keenan Jourdon (Mexico) and Rodney White (Israel)
They are already practicing, and they will play a couple of exhibitions at China and Nicaragua.

Their championship depth chart was:
Osiris Ricardo-Raul Rivera-Mario Butler
Rodney White-Keenan Jourdon-Karel Rosario-Angel Rosa Clemente
Angel "Buster" Figueroa-
Erick Rodriguez-David Cortez
Bobby Joe Hatton-Pachy Cruz-Carlos Rivera

http://www.elnuevodia.com/diario/noticia/baloncesto/deportes/carolina_podria_no_jugar/465670

J-Mart
10-07-2008, 05:26 AM
http://www.elnuevodia.com/diario/noticia/baloncesto/deportes/evaluan_a_marcus_fizer/469315

Marcus Fizer is in PR. He is being evaluated by the Capitanes. Likely to play at the tournament

alermac
10-11-2008, 02:39 AM
Press release from FIBA Americas:

With the national and international competition schedules as the main reason for this new change, the 2008/09 FIBA Americas League shall be held under a new game system.

On this Second Edition, and as the First one, 16 (sixteen) teams will be participating, starting the second week of December 2008 through the first week of February 2009.

Two “four-team series” will be played in both the South and North regions of the Americas, with two of them scheduled for December 2008, and the other two for January 2009.

The winners of each “four-team series” will qualify for the “Final Four”, which is scheduled for February 2009.

As with the first Edition, every game will be broadcasted by FOX Sports for the whole continent. The bidding process for those teams interested in hosting one of those “four-team series” has already begun.

The countries that have already confirmed their representation at the FIBA AMERICAS LEAUE 2008/09 are: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, and Uruguay for South America. For Central America and the Caribbean, Costa Rica, Mexico, Puerto Rico, and Dominican Republic.

So, two basic changes:
1) More countries involved.
2) No quarterfinals; pool round qualifies directly into Final Four. Hence a shorter tournament, since Final Fourers will only play 6 games instead of last season's 8 or 9.

rikhardur
10-14-2008, 02:15 AM
FIBA Americas - 2008/09 FIBA Americas League has new structure

SAN JUAN (FIBA Americas League) - FIBA Americas, the Zone organization of FIBA in the Americas with headquarters in San Juan, Puerto Rico, announced a new competition format for the 2008/2009 edition of the FIBA Americas League.

With the national and international competition schedules as the main reason for this new format, the 2008/09 FIBA Americas League will be organized with a new system of play.

16 (sixteen) teams will be participating, starting the second week of December 2008 through the first week of February 2009.

Two “four-team series” will be played in both the South and North regions of the Americas, with two of them scheduled for December 2008, and the other two for January 2009.

The winners of each “four-team series” will qualify for the “Final Four”, which is scheduled for February 2009.

Every game will be broadcasted by FOX Sports for the whole continent. The bidding process for those teams interested in hosting one of those “four-team series” has already started.

The countries that have already confirmed their representation at the FIBA AMERICAS LEAUE 2008/09 are: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, and Uruguay for South America. For Central America and the Caribbean, Costa Rica, Mexico, Puerto Rico, and Dominican Republic.

The FIBA Americas League is the most important international club competition in the Americas. Sixteen teams were active in the first edition, with Mar del Plata Peñarol from Argentina crowned as the 2007/08 Champions.
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/28677/arti.html

J-Mart
10-19-2008, 09:02 AM
there is a rumor that Arecibo will trade Bobby Joe Hatton to Ponce for Jeff Aubry and Wilfredo Pagan. That would give Arecibo a frontline of Jeffrey Aubry, Marcus Fizer and "Buster" Figueroa.

cikladols
11-06-2008, 09:01 AM
Is this league something like Euroleague in europe? Are these teams strongest in latin-america region?

J-Mart
11-06-2008, 11:42 AM
Carolina will not play

alermac
11-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Is this league something like Euroleague in europe?
Are these teams strongest in latin-america region?
1) Yes. There are another South American and Central American tournaments, but this is the only one that involves all the continent.

2) Mostly yes, since the only major league that doesn't take part is the Venezuelan LPB. And Puerto Rican clubs can't play at their full potential because they have a different season and many of its players aren't available.

PS: K2, tough news... who would replace Carolina?

cardenales
11-06-2008, 09:49 PM
It was said that Cangrejeros de Santurce could replace Carolina but Santurce right now may have problems or availability in their players.

Miguel Ali Berdiel is playing well in Slovenia Division I.
Roberto Traylor may be playing someplace else.
Alex Falcon and Orlando Santiago are playing in Mexico.
Larry Ayuso probably is going to be draft in the first round of the NBDL
Rick Apodaca is going to be playing in China
Luis Rivas I think he is playing in Venezuela.
Orlando Melendez is with the Harlem Globetrotters

To many absentees. i dont think they are going to be able to play in the tournament.

alermac
11-08-2008, 12:08 PM
The Uruguayan club will be determined on their Super 4 tournament, on November 21 & 22. Anyway, there is a chance Biguá could be invited due to its recent South American title.

J-Mart
11-08-2008, 09:33 PM
I dont think we could send a competitive team to the tournament other than Arecibo. They are commited to the tournament, they have kept most of ther players training and playing exhibition tournaments. I belive they would be the only team to assemble a competitive team for the tournament.

alermac
11-19-2008, 06:14 PM
The pools have been set:

A: Puerto Rico (December 9-11)

Pioneros de Quintana Roo (Cancún, México)
Capitanes (Arecibo, Puerto Rico)
Merengueros (Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic)
Minas Tenis Clube (Belo Horizonte, Brazil)

B: Mar del Plata, Argentina (December 16-18)

Regatas (Corrientes, Argentina)
Deportes Castro (Chile)
Peñarol (Mar del Plata, Argentina)
Biguá (Montevideo, Uruguay)

C: Río de Janeiro, Brazil (January 13-15)

Libertad (Sunchales, Argentina)
Flamengo (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)
Universo (Brasilia, Brazil)
Cañoneros (Cúcuta, Colombia)

D: Xalapa, México (January 20-22)

Soles (Mexicali, México)
Halcones (Xalapa, México)
Liceo (San José, Costa Rica)
Quimsa (Santiago del Estero, Argentina)

J-Mart
11-19-2008, 07:30 PM
There is time. Carolina dropped out and Santurce said no.
Next would be Caguas (without Andres Rodriguez, PJ Ramos)
Guaynabo (no Carmelo Antrone Lee, Shepard, Terrence Shannon) or Fajardo (no Hamilton, no Mojica, no Pellot, no Quintero, no Beard, no Uka, no Collazo, no Rivera)

alermac
11-20-2008, 09:21 PM
TA: Puerto Rico (December 9-11)

Piorenos de Quintana Roo (Cancún, México)
Capitanes de Arecibo (Puerto Rico)
Constituyentes de San Cristóbal (Dominican Republic)
Minas Tenis Clube (Belo Horizonte, Brazil)
One weird thing about this: FIBA Americas designated a Brazilian team to fill a Northern group, which was supposed to belong only to Centrobasket nations. I guess it means that:

a) FIBA Americas couldn't find enough available clubs/leagues in those nations, to replace the American teams from last season (which FIBA Americas pulled away from the league, so it also means they expected to find such replacements).

b) They gathered more interest from South American countries than last season (adding Colombia), and there were more clubs than the Southern groups could hold.

J-Mart
11-20-2008, 10:24 PM
FIBA should do something with Puerto Rico playing during the summer :rolleyes:

alermac
11-24-2008, 05:18 PM
Biguá has qualified as the Uruguayan representative, by winning teh Super 4 tournament. It's a very powerful team (they won the South American Championship last month) that has renowned players like PG Martín Osimani, SG Leandro García Morales, SF Mauricio Aguiar (all of them NT players) and Argentinean C Rubén Wolkowyski.

alermac
12-02-2008, 05:24 AM
FIBA Americas has allegedly invited Argentinean club Quimsa (last season's LNB finalists) as the remaining team for Group D. This goes against the tournament philosophy of not inviting too many clubs from one country (Argentina would now have 4), but I guess there were no other clubs interested in taking part.

Personally, i would have liked an invitation for a club from any other country.

J-Mart
12-02-2008, 07:26 AM
Arecibo signed Monty Wilson and Bobby Lazor for the Tournament.

JGX
12-06-2008, 03:06 AM
Appears that the games next week will be shown on Fox Sports Espanol in the US...looking forward to seeing some of these teams.

alermac
12-09-2008, 07:28 PM
Chilean club Deportes Castro will replace Universidad de Concepción, who was originally set to be Chile's representative.

What is your take on Group A? I think Capitanes should win it, but it will depend on how well prepared they are. If not, Minas Tenis Clube is more than capable of advancing to the F4.

PRSURF
12-09-2008, 10:49 PM
Live here people:

http://www.justin.tv/widgets/jtv_player.rb2365d665142ced524c70585dd29ecb1fffeee 7e.swf?channel=josecinho010

J-Mart
12-10-2008, 02:24 AM
104-72 arecibo

rikhardur
12-10-2008, 11:06 PM
PUR – Capitanes, Minas Tenis storm to opening day triumphs

ARECIBO (FIBA Americas League) - Minas Tenis Clube of Brazil and Capitanes de Arecibo of Puerto Rico rolled to opening day wins in the FIBA Americas League on Tuesday.

Minas opened proceedings at the Petaca Coliseum with a 90-65 mauling of Dominican Republic outfit Merengueros while Capitanes, who are hosting Group A, thrashed Pioneros de Quintana Roo 104-72.

More than 5,000 fans watched as David Rosario's Capitanes opened up a 46-34 lead at half-time and pressed home the advantage over the final two quarters.

Capitanes drilled 17 three-pointers, with Bobby Lazor burying five of seven and David Cortes five of nine.

Cortes had 13 of his 19 points in the first half while Buster Figueroa finished with 20 for Capitanes.

"In this tournament, there is no space for losses if you want to be the champion," Rosario said.

"I gave a clear message of intensity from the beginning and we have trained for that."

Mexicans Pioneros got 22 points from Tiras Wade and 21 from Marcus Fleming.

In the opener, Facundo Sucatzky had nine points and 15 assists and Brazil international center Murilo Becker scored a game-high 22 and pulled down eight rebounds as Minas Tenis Clube claimed a big win.

Luiz Felipe Campos Lemes weighed in with 17 points, Leandro Da Cruz Silva 13 with nine rebounds and Charles Marcio Lopes e Silva scored 12 for Minas Clube, who took control in the second quarter.

On top 26-24 at the end of the opening period, Minas Clube outscored Merengueros 27-16 over the next 10 minutes to lead 53-40 at the break.

They killed the game off in the third quarter by stretching their advantage to 22.

On Wednesday, Minas Clue face Pioneros and Capitanes go up against Merengueros.
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/29058/arti.html

alermac
12-11-2008, 03:56 AM
Day 2 staged a comfortable win by Minas over Pioneros, 93-74 (http://www.fibaamericas.com/fnabox.asp?g=A&n=3&r=6690), and a shocking overtime win by Merengueros over Capitanes, 90-87 (http://www.fibaamericas.com/fnabox.asp?g=A&n=4&r=6690).

Possible scenarios:

-If Minas beats Arecibo, they'll qualify.
-If Arecibo beats Minas, they need Pioneros to beat Merengueros. That way they'll avoid a triple tie, which Minas would win thanks to its large win against the Dominican club.

J-Mart
12-11-2008, 07:27 AM
Arecibo eliminated???

I love it :D

PRSURF
12-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Arecibo eliminated???

I love it :DHAHAHA, me too!:cool:

alermac
12-11-2008, 06:53 PM
Forgot to say this: if Arecibo beats Minas by 15, they'll qualify.

J-Mart
12-11-2008, 09:54 PM
Forgot to say this: if Arecibo beats Minas by 15, they'll qualify.
:( :(

JGX
12-12-2008, 01:57 AM
Arecibo up by 11 with 2:18 left...

JGX
12-12-2008, 02:11 AM
94-81 with Figueroa going to the line for two shots...

First one is a brick off the back rim.
Second is good.

Arecibo needs to find another point.

95-81 final score.

alermac
12-12-2008, 03:47 AM
95-81 final score.
I read in a Brazilian site that this result qualified Arecibo :confused: and not Minas. They just hit the exact more confusing possible result (both teams have +11)

Jokinen
12-12-2008, 08:30 PM
I read in a Brazilian site that this result qualified Arecibo :confused: and not Minas. They just hit the exact more confusing possible result (both teams have +11)

Finally Minas Tennis from Brazil wins its group by goal average:1,06875 for the Brazilians and 1,06432 for the Puerto Ricans.

Facundo Szucatzky averaging double double for Minas with 11.7 assists per game

PRSURF
12-12-2008, 08:55 PM
Finally Minas Tennis from Brazil wins its group by goal average:1,06875 for the Brazilians and 1,06432 for the Puerto Ricans.

Facundo Szucatzky averaging double double for Minas with 11.7 assists per gameWhat a game, nice to see la garra of Arecibo.:rolleyes:

J-Mart
12-13-2008, 08:30 AM

Facundo Szucatzky averaging double double for Minas with 11.7 assists per game
Arecibo is appealing the decision to FIBA. Typical of them :D
If they dont win it on the court, they appeal

alermac
12-15-2008, 02:28 PM
Arecibo is appealing the decision to FIBA. Typical of them :D
If they dont win it on the court, they appeal
What i don't get is what are they appealing for. The math says both teams had the same differential and Minas won the goal average, so i guess Arecibo complains about rules?

JGX
12-16-2008, 03:05 AM
Maybe Arecibo can play Mexico in a special FIBA-Americas tournament this summer.

rikhardur
12-16-2008, 04:23 PM
FIBA Americas league – Kammerichs injury doubt for Regatas v Bigua; Peñarol face Chileans

MAR DEL PLATA (FIBA Americas League) - Regatas Corrientes are likely to be without star Federico Kammerichs for their FIBA Americas League Group B opener against Bigua of Uruguay on Tuesday because of a sprained ankle.

Kammerichs, a reserve in Argentina's bronze-medal team at the Olympics this summer in Beijing, got hurt six minutes into Regatas' 77-73 win over Boca Juniors at the weekend.

"I really want to play, especially after seeing the courage of my teammates when they defeated Boca," Kammerichs said.

"We will see how I wake up on Tuesday but my first thought is I will not play."

The triumph over Boca could not have come at a better time for Regatas, who are 2-4 in the second phase of Argentina’s Liga Nacional.

Luis Cequeira also missed the Boca game through injury and will not play against Bigua, the winners of the South American Championship for Clubs and the Super 4.

Bigua have won 19 of their last 20 games.

The other game on opening day sees hosts Peñarol, the side coached by Argentina national team boss Sergio Hernandez, take on Universidad de Concepción from Chile.

Peñarol won the first edition of the FIBA Americas League earlier this year and they enter Group B play white hot with a 6-0 mark in the Liga Nacional second phase.

Universidad de Concepcion of Chile take a break from play in the DIMAYOR semi-finals and travel to Argentina for the FIBA Americas League.

Group A games have already been played with Minas Tenis Clube of Brazil having edged hosts Capitanes Arecibo in Puerto Rico on a goal coefficient tie-breaker after the two teams and Merengueros of the Dominican Republic finished with 2-1 records.

Minas and Capitanes each had +11 when considering the points scored for and against in the games played between the three sides.

Therefore, the goal coefficient was used and Minas’ was better by a fraction.

But Capitanes president Luis Monrouzeau, who watched his team beat Minas, has appealed against the decision to let Minas advance to the Final Four.

"I think there was an error of interpretation,” he said in the Primera Hora newspaper in Puerto Rico.

"When the goal average calculation was done between the three teams, Arecibo and Minas Tenis had 11 each and hence, Merengueros are already eliminated.

"Hence, article 1.4 (FIBA) says that if there are still two teams level, only the results of the games played against each other will be taken into account and under that rule.

"Arecibo won their only game to Minas Tenis."

FIBA Americas president Alberto Garcia was quoted in Primera Hora as saying: "We maintain our position but if we had to rectify it, we would be the first to do so.

"We expect a reply from FIBA on Monday or Tuesday."
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/29087/arti.html

J-Mart
12-17-2008, 11:02 PM
What i don't get is what are they appealing for. The math says both teams had the same differential and Minas won the goal average, so i guess Arecibo complains about rules?

who knows? they did the appelation. that's the way they win and stay on top every year :D appealing and unbalanced trading, and if league rejects the trade, they go to court :D

J-Mart
12-18-2008, 05:37 AM
Arecibo is just trying to go around the law, as usual. They knew they had to win by 15, it was all over the newspaper in PR that they had to win by 15. After the shocking elimination, they are trying to go around the rules and making arguments to their favor. Nada sorprendente :D

rikhardur
12-18-2008, 10:46 PM
FIBA Americas league – Olympic hero Montecchia leads Regatas past Peñarol

MAR DEL PLATA (FIBA Americas League) – Alejandro Montecchia wowed audiences in Athens with his long-range shooting to help fire Argentina to an Olympic gold medal in 2004.

After tearing his Achilles tendon while playing in Italy in 2006 and going home to South America, Montecchia beat the odds by returning to the professional game earlier this year and on Wednesday the veteran showed he is well and truly back with game-winning plays against Peñarol in the FIBA Americas League.

In the final seconds of the Group B game, Montecchia, 38, scored the go-ahead basket and then came up with a victory-clinching steal as Regatas upset their Argentina rivals and defending FIBA Americas League champions 71-67.

Regatas led 33-26 at half-time but Peñarol hit back and David Jackson’s three-pointer put them in front at 52-46 heading into the final frame.

Montecchia and Co didn’t lose heart, though, and ended up winning to leave both sides with 1-1 records.

Regatas were 18 of 43 (42%) inside the arc and just four of 18 (22%) beyond it, while Peñarol, the side coached by Argentina national team boss Sergio Hernández, had most of their success from long range.

They nailed 13 of 30 (43%) from behind the three-point line and were just seven of 29 from two-point range.

Fernando Malara was particularly effective for Peñarol, drilling three of four (75%) from long range while Jackson was three of six (50%) and finished with 11 points.

Damian Tintorelli scored 21 points for Regatas, who bounced back from Tuesday’s narrow setback to Biguá.

Biguá are in pole position at 2-0 following a 76-54 triumph over Universidad de Concepcion.

The Uruguayan giants led from start to finish. They streaked out to a 9-2 lead and were in command at 43-18 by half-time.

Joaquin Osimani led a balanced scoring attack for Biguá with 11 points.
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/29106/arti.html

rikhardur
12-19-2008, 06:54 PM
FIBA Americas League – Bigua advance after beating Peñarol in OT

MAR DEL PLATA (FIBA Americas League) - Uruguayan powerhouse Bigua booked a place in the FIBA Americas League Final Four on Thursday night with an 84-77 overtime triumph over defending champions and Group B hosts Peñarol.

Bigua jumped out to a 37-25 advantage and still led 49-42 at three-quarter time but watched as Sergio Hernandez's team clawed their way back.

Peñarol went on an 11-2 run and edged ahead at 53-51 midway through the final quarter.

Bigua reclaimed the lead, only for Fernando Malara's offensive rebound and put-back for Peñarol in the final seconds to force the extra period.

Leandro García Morales made four important free throws in the overtime, though, as Bigua sealed their place in the final four.

By advancing, Bigua have remained red hot. They only just won the South American Championship for Clubs.

Bigua needed five games to capture that title and their three victories in Argentina this week means the Uruguayan outfit has won eight in a row.

García Morales buried four three-balls and made all 13 of his attempts at the free throw line on his way to 35 points for the winners.

He didn't shoot well from the field, however, making nine of 28 (32.14%).

In Thursday’s other Group B game, Universidad de Concepcion of Chile bounced back from their defeats to Bigua and Peñarol and won 96-94 in double overtime against Regatas Corrientes.

Marcelo Hernandez's three-pointer and Eduardo Diaz's free throw put the Chileans on top in the second extra period.

Regatas, who lost to Bigua on the opening day but then defeated Peñarol on Wednesday, missed an opportunity to force a third overtime when Damian Tintorelli and Sebastian Acosta were off target with potential game-tying shots.

James Maxey led Universidad de Concepcion with 26 points.

Regatas lost despite out-rebounding their opponents 52-38.
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/29111/arti.html

Jokinen
12-19-2008, 08:53 PM
Well, I believe that, Bigua is definitely the top candidate this year, good coach, lot of heart, great players, experience, etc.

Garcia Morales 35 pts!!

alermac
01-08-2009, 06:15 PM
Quick news on Group C:

-Flamengo was supposed to host it. They declined. Then FIBA offered it to Universo Brasilia, but they stadium was already taken for those dates. Then Libertad accepted, so the group will be played in Sunchales (a city of 20.000 in inner Santa Fe, Argentina)

-Deportes Castro (Chile) will replace Cañoneros de Cúcuta (Colombia)

-Flamengo had arranged Rafael Baby Araujo to join the team; then the financial crisis hit the club, many players are owed part of their salaries an Araujo may noy sign.

-Libertad has many injuries, including PF Andrés Pelussi. To replace him, they hired former NBA and Barcelona center Derrick Alston.

rikhardur
01-13-2009, 07:07 PM
ARG - Libertad edge Independiente

SUNCHALES (FIBA Americas League) - Argentinians Libertad will enter FIBA Americas League Group C on the back of a narrow triumph in the Liga Nacional.

Jason Osborne poured in 19 points as Libertad prevailed 73-72 over Independiente.

Brazilian clubs Universo/BRB and Flamengo, and Deportes Castro of Chile, are also in Group C which tips off on Wednesday.
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/29221/arti.html

rikhardur
01-14-2009, 06:55 PM
FIBA Americas League - Flamengo ready for Brazil showdown in Group C opener

SUNCHALES (FIBA Americas League) - Flamengo know exactly what they're up against on Day One of FIBA Americas League Group C play.

Their opponents on Wednesday in Argentina are Brazil rivals Universo/BRB - the same club they defeated to win the last Campeonato title.

The Flamengo coach, Paulo Teixeira Sampaio, admitted: "The first game will have a lot of nerves because we played in the Campeonato Nacional finals.

"We are going to try and erase their strong points and establish the tempo of the game."

Flamengo needed just three games to beat Universo to the title.

The Machado brothers - Marcelinho and Duda - and the muscular Rafael "Baby" Araujo are Brazil internationals in the Flamengo side.

Helio Lima, Fernando Alvim and Frederico Lima will also get a lot of minutes for the Brazilian champions.

They enter the competition in a very confident mood after capturing their state championship in December over Cabo Frio/Sika, while also reaching the finals in the South American League for Clubs.

In the other opening day clash will be a game between Group C hosts Libertad Sunchales of Argentina and Deportes Castro of Chile.

Group D games will be played from January 20-22 and will involve Mexican outfits Halcones Xalapa and Soles de Mexicali, COOPENAE Liceo de Costa Rica and Argentinians Quimsa.

Minas Tenis of Brazil and Bigua of Uruguay have already secured their spots in the Final Four to be played from February 6-8.
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/29232/arti.html

alermac
01-15-2009, 08:07 PM
Day 1:

Libertad 114 - Dep. Castro 88 Stats (http://www.fibaamericas.com/fnabox.asp?g=C&n=1&r=6690)
Since the 2nd quarter, it just wasn't a game anymore. Libertad showed great shooting effectiveness from everywhere, led by Farley and Alston's points. They also took advantage of a very deep roster, since it included players that recovered from injuries just in time and their replacements hired for the national league. For Castro, Smith and McFadgon were everything on offense, but the defense was null.

Flamengo 98 - Universo 94 Stats (http://www.fibaamericas.com/fnabox.asp?g=C&n=2&r=6690)

A very close game. Flamengo won it led by Marcelinho Machado and Baby Araújo. Arthur and Alex García were the main offensive stars for Universo, who can blame its turnovers for the loss.

rikhardur
01-16-2009, 12:33 AM
Araújo with the slam:

_As8FPXHCf0

alermac
01-16-2009, 04:20 PM
Day 2:

Dep. Castro 77 - Flamengo 117 Stats (http://www.fibaamericas.com/fnabox.asp?g=C&n=3&r=6690)
Again, little to say. Deportes castro is earning the honor of being the worst team on this League.

Libertad 70 - Universo Brasilia 89 Stats (http://www.fibaamericas.com/fnabox.asp?g=C&n=4&r=6690)
Universo won it because of its awesome 16/28 on threes and Libertad's poor FT shooting. Coach Lamas of Libertad played a zone defense for much of the game, hoping Universo's accuracy would decrease, but it didn't.

Situation for last day:

-Flamengo: will qualify by beating Libertad.
-Universo: needs a win vs Castro, and also needs Libertad to beat Flamengo.
-Libertad: needs to beat Flamengo by 35 :rolleyes: ,unless Castro beats Universo (yeah, right). If that happens, they'll just need a win.

alermac
01-17-2009, 10:07 PM
Day 3:

Universo 87 - Dep. Castro 85 Stats (http://www.fibaamericas.com/fnabox.asp?g=C&n=5&r=6690)

It's not easy to explain how pathetic this game was. Castro played for most of the match an awful 2-3 zone, giving up wide open 3p attempts on almost every possession; but the Brazilians kept missing those shots and turning the ball over. On the other hand, the Chileans had good 3p effectiveness and managed to lead most of the game. At the end Álex García took over Universo and won it with a three, but not without serious refereeing help on the last two plays (an illegal screen by Estevam before Álex's three, and a foul on Gonzalo Velázquez's final 3p attempt to win it). We can safely say Universo is probably the worst team among group-winners.

Libertad 93 - Flamengo 84 Stats (http://www.fibaamericas.com/fnabox.asp?g=C&n=6&r=6690)

Due to Universo's win, Libertad needed a 35-point triumph. And they seemed to be able to do it; they were up 42-23 during the second quarter. Then Flamengo hit two threes and it became nearly impossible, although Libertad managed to regain a 22-point lead at the end of the third quarter. The Argentineans clearly wore down at the end, complicated by its injuries and age, and Flamengo nearly wins it (87-84 with one minute to go).

rikhardur
01-18-2009, 02:24 AM
FIBA Americas League – Flamengo romp past Deportes Castro; Libertad hammered by Universo

SUNCHALES (FIBA Americas League) – Unbeaten Flamengo thrashed Deportes Castro and Universo/BRB claimed a convincing triumph over hosts Libertad on the second day of Group C action in the FIBA Americas League.

Brazil internationals Marcelinho and Rafael "Baby" Araujo again shone for Rio de Janeiro outfit Flamengo with 26 and 19 points, respectively, in a 177-77 thumping of Chileans Deportes.

After edging Brazilian rivals Universo by just four points in an opening day heart-stopper, Flamengo stamped their authority on proceedings from the off against Deportes by storming into a 20-10 lead midway through the first quarter.

They began the second frame with an 8-2 run for a 36-20 advantage.

By half-time, Araujo had nine points while Frederico Lima and Marcelinho each had eight with Flamengo in complete command at 54-33.

The Brazilians delivered the knockout punch in the third quarter, going on top 84-53 with 10 minutes remaining.

Next up for Flamengo is a clash with Libertad, who crashed to an unexpected 89-70 defeat to Universo.

Universo's Brazil internationals excelled with Alex García scoring 21 points and Valtinho contributing 16.

Flamengo will seal their passage to the Final Four with a victory over Libertad but if they lose and Universo beat Deportes Castro, Universo would advance instead.

Universo would progress due to a superior goal differential between themselves, Flamengo and Libertad.
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/29246/arti.html

rikhardur
01-19-2009, 06:24 PM
FIBA Americas League - Alex fires Universo/BRB into Final Four

SUNCHALES (FIBA Americas League) - Flamengo blew a chance to play at the FIBA Americas League Final Four and let Brazilian rivals Universo/BRB advance instead on the last day of Group C play in Sunchales.

Despite beating both Universo/BRB and Deportes Castro, Flamengo failed to progress after falling 93-84 to Libertad.

That result, couple with Universo/BRB’s 87-85 triumph over Chilean outfit Deportes Castro left Libertad, Flamengo and Universo/BRB with 2-1 records.

Universo/BRB had a superior goal differential in the games involving Libertad and Flamengo.

They nearly missed out on the Final Four because in Friday's first game, Universo/BRB needed a three-ball from Brazil international Alex Garcia just three seconds from the end to defeat Deportes Castro (0-3).

Alex ended up with a game-high 30 points.

Flamengo still controlled their own destiny and would have advanced with a win but fell behind and messed up their big opportunity.

They trailed by 23 points (67-44) with three minutes to go in the third quarter.

With Libertad needing to post a win of 35 points or more to have a superior goal differential and reach the Final Four, the Group C hosts incredibly looked as if they might pull off the feat.

Flamengo didn’t allow them to pull away, though, and closed the fourth quarter on a 14-2 run.

In Libertad's victory, Willie Farley scored 25 points, Jason Osborne 19, Alejandro Zilli and Sebastián Ginóbili 11 each.

Universo/BRB joined fellow Brazilians Minas Tenis and Bigua of Uruguay as the teams that have booked Final Four spots.

Group D will be played from January 20-22 in Xalapa, Mexico, and will involve Halcones UV Xalapa and Soles de Mexicali of the host nation, Argentinians Quimsa and Costa Ricans COOPENAE Liceo.

The FIBA Americas League Final Four will take place February 6-8.
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/29257/arti.html

alermac
01-20-2009, 06:33 PM
Today will begin the last group. Mexican clubs (Soles de Mexicali and host Halcones de Xalapa) will be the main favorites to qualify. Quimsa is an enigma, a powerful squad having a lousy season (fired 8 imports and 3 coaches in less than 30 games) but is showing hints of a recovery.

alermac
01-21-2009, 11:07 PM
Quimsa 73 - Soles de Mexicali 87 Stats (http://www.fibaamericas.com/fnabox.asp?g=D&n=1&r=6690)

Halcones de Xalapa 116 - Liceo 73 Stats (http://www.fibaamericas.com/fnabox.asp?g=D&n=2&r=6690)

alermac
01-22-2009, 05:26 AM
Day 2:

Halcones de Xalapa 103 - Quimsa 69 Stats (http://www.fibaamericas.com/fnabox.asp?g=D&n=4&r=6690)

One honest quarter, and a beatup from there on. Quimsa sure looks like a lowly team.

Soles de Mexicali 100 - COOPENAE Liceo 96 Stats (http://www.fibaamericas.com/fnabox.asp?g=D&n=3&r=6690)

The Costa Rican's 4th quarter rally nearly gets them a shocking win, led by its 46% on threes (Henry Martinez 6/8). Not enough, so the first place will be a battle between Mexicans.

rikhardur
01-22-2009, 10:36 PM
FIBA Americas League - All-or-nothing showdown set between Halcones and Soles

XALAPA (FIBA Americas League) - Soles de Mexicali and hosts Halcones Xalapa remained unbeaten in the FIBA Americas League on Wednesday night and set up a winner-take-all Group D battle.

Soles de Mexicali edged COOPENAE Liceo de Costa Rica 100-96.

Soles, who reached the Final Four last year, appeared to be in control but Liceo went on a 15-0 run bridging the third and fourth quarters to close the gap to 79-70.

The Costa Ricans kept the pressure on and eventually reduced the arrears to 93-89 after two free throws by Tim Jennings with 49.6 seconds to play.

Soles kept their noses in front, but Liceo made them sweat until the end.

Justin Leith's two free throws for Liceo made it 98-96 just 6.5 seconds from the death.

Liceo fouled Anthony Pedroza of Soles and he sank both shots from the stripe for the four-point triumph.

Greg Lewis led the winners with 27 points while Pedroza weighed in with 19 and Horacio Llamas 16.

In defeat, Henry Martínez poured in 22 points and Leith 18.

Soles will now have to overcome Xalapa to reach a second straight Final Four after their Mexican rivals thrashed Argentinians Quimsa Santiago del Estero 103-69.

The Mexican team didn't have it all their way early on but ended up taking a 47-36 advantage to half-time.

They pulled away in the third quarter, though.

Halcones reeled off 16 consecutive points for a 63-41 stranglehold on the contest and cruised the rest of the way.

Dontae Truitt had 24 points for Halcones and Leroy Hickerson 22.

Gabriel Mikulas finished with 17 points for Quimsa.
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/29277/arti.html

alermac
01-23-2009, 05:58 AM
Final day:

COOPENAE Liceo 85 - Quimsa 96 (http://www.fibaamericas.com/fnabox.asp?g=D&n=5&r=6690)

Halcones Xalapa 86 - Soles Mexicali 78 (http://www.fibaamericas.com/fnabox.asp?g=D&n=6&r=6690)

rikhardur
01-23-2009, 05:11 PM
MEX/ARG/CRC - Halcones final four bound despite brave effort by Soles

XALAPA (FIBA Americas League) - Halcones Xalapa hosted Group D of the FIBA Americas League and on Thursday night accomplished their mission of reaching the Final Four.

In an all-Mexican showdown against Soles de Mexicali, a team that competed in the inaugural Final Four last year and reached the title game before falling to Penarol, Halcones prevailed 86-78.

Halcones will join Brazilian outfits Universo/BRB and Minas Tenis Clube and Uruguayans Bigua in the final round to be played from February 6-8. The host of that event has yet to be determined.

Both Halcones and Soles entered the winner-take-all game at 2-0 after their respective victories over Quimsa of Argentina and Liceo of Costa Rica.

Despite having blown out their first two opponents, Halcones had to hold on for dear life against Soles, a team they face on a regular basis in Mexico's LNBP.

Halcones went in front by as many as 15 points in the third quarter but weren't able to put Soles away.

Ivan Deniz's team maintained their poise and chipped away at the Halcones advantage.

With less than four seconds remaining, Anthony Lever-Pedroza's two free throws cut the Halcones lead to 59-56 and the same player buried a three-pointer early in the fourth to knot the contest at 59-59.

Halcones, due in large part to the offensive performances of Gustavo Ayon, Leroy Hickerson and Dontae Truitt, kept their noses in front and though they struggled all night from the free throw line, the hosts made just enough down the stretch to seal the triumph.

Victory was sweet for Halcones, who lost to Soles last year when they were on their way to the last four.

Halcones will consider themselves fortunate to be advancing because t266hey sank only 21 of 38 (55%) of their free throws.

Ayon, who had a game-high 27 points, was the worst offender at the stripe. He made just five of 14 (36%).

Abdul Mills poured in 20 points and handed out five assists for the winners.

Lever-Pedroza finished with 25 points for Soles while Horacio Llamas contributed 14 with seven rebounds. Greg Lewis was also influential for the losing side with 14 points and seven boards.

In a battle for pride and third place in Group D, Quimsa defeated COOPENAE Liceo de Costa Rica 96-85.

Gabriel Mikulas and Julio Eduardo Mazzaro each scored 25 points for Quimsa.
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/29285/arti.html

alermac
01-27-2009, 07:39 PM
News on the FInal Four:

-it will be played on Xalapa, so it means Mexico will host it again.
-Biguá signed Mark Bortz as a third import.
-Minas signed Ricardo Probst to strenghten the squad.

rikhardur
02-08-2009, 04:18 PM
BRA/URU - Universo one win away from winning the FIBA Americas League:

XALAPA (FIBA Americas League) - Universo/BRB won their second game in the Final Four of the FIBA Americas League and are one win away from being the continental champion after beating Bigua 86-75. Bigua has an 0-2 record and is eliminated from being the champion.

Since the first quarter Rafael Mineiro allong with estevam dominated the paint while Valtinho and Alex were effective on their attack to give Universo a 22-17 lead. Alex led with 5 points while Leandro Garcia Morales had 8 for Bigua.

Alex opened the second quarter with a three pointer but Bigua reacted with a 8-0 run to tie the game at 25 with a three pointer by Rubén Wolkowyski. Universo recovered the lead and were led by Estevam and Alex who had 8 points. Universo dominated at halftime 38-32.

Bigua was led at halftime by Leandro Garcia Morales with 11 points while Wolkowyski had 10.

In the third quarter Universo had an eleven point lead after a free throw by Marcio to put the score 43-32 but Martin Osimani closed the game and Universo finished up 58-56.

Universo started the final quarter with a 7-0 run to have a 65-56 lead. Bigua returned to the game as Leandro Garcia Morales scored a three pointer to be down 77-75 with 1:30 left. After that three pointer Universo scored from the free throw line for the win.

Estevam Ferreira led Universo with 19 points while Alex Garcia had 15 and Valtinho 12. In a losing effort Leandro Garcia Morales had 23 and Martín Osimani 13.

In the final day Bigua faces Minas Tenis while Universo plays Halcones UV Xalapa.
http://www.fibaamericas.com/noticiasread_us.asp?r=OGSAVFTKHA

MEX/BRA - Halcones and Universo for the FIBA Americas League championship:

XALAPA (FIBA Americas League) - Samuel Bowie was one again the key figure for Halcones the Xalapa in the Final Four of the FIBA Americas League. Halcones dominated Minas Tenis Clube 104-84 and will play for the championship on Sunday against Universo/BRB.

Minas started the game with many mistakes on the offensive side while Halcones scored from long distance and in fast break due to the many turnovers from the Brazilian team to take a 18-10 lead. Flavio Davis, coach of Minas, called a time-out and they reacted quickly with a 10-0 run led by Ricardo Probst to take a 20-18 lead with 3:07 left. The run in the final five minutes was 20-4 so the Brazilians could finish the first quarter up 30-22.

The first quarter was almost perfect for Minas who shot 9-11 from the field (81%) including 3-3 from three point range and 9-12 from the free throw line. Ricardo Probst, Murilo Becker and Joe Shipp led with 7 points each. Gustavo Ayon led Halcones with 7 points and Victor Avila 6. Halcones shot 8-21 from the field including 3-13 from three.

In the second quarter Samuel Bowie came with two straight three pointer to tie the game at 30 with 8:49 left and Victor Avila scored another one to have a 33-30 lead and complete an 11-0 run in the first two minutes. Bowie continued to score consistently and finished with 19 points in the second quarter and Halcones had a 53-41 halftime lead.

Mariscal helped with 10 points while Minas never answered the attack. The second quarter was 31-11 in favor of Halcones thanks to their intensity on both sides.

Bowie opened the third quarter with five straight points to increase their lead 58-43 with 8:26 left and the offense continued to score to have a 82-66 lead with ten minutes left.

Minas tried to get back into the game but their offense was not consistent and the depth of Halcones was too much for the Brazilians.

Halcones was led by Bowie who scored 26 points while Victor Avila had 16, Gustavo Ayon and Dontae Truitt netted 13 each.

Soro Pinto had 18 points and Joe Shipp 17 for Minas who looks for their first win against also winless Bigua.

Sunday, February 8, 2009:

16:15 Minas Tenis Clube vs Bigua
18:30 Halcones Xalapa vs Universo BRB

*Local time of Xalapa, Veracruz, Mexico.
http://www.fibaamericas.com/noticiasread_us.asp?r=OCRTUPNFQU

JuJu
02-09-2009, 10:55 AM
Xalapa lost the game 83:86 after a 18 point lead with 15 minutes to go.
49-43 at halftime.
In the third quarter the highest lead was 10 points, but then they lost their rhythm on offense.

Really sad, i like Halcones Xalapa and they had the win really deserved, after their good performances in the Fiba Liga Americas.

Mojado
02-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Now with that tournament finished, FIBA Americas may get out of their a**es to tell us where the TOA is going to be played ? Other continents have their sites known...this is all typically Latino:mad:

Congrats to Universo !

rikhardur
02-09-2009, 02:22 PM
BRA/MEX - Universo/BRB is the champion of America:

XALAPA (FIBA Americas League) - Universo/BRB won the second edition of the FIBA Americas League by winning the Final Four held in Xalapa, Veracruz, Mexico. The Brazilian team defeated host Halcones UV Xalapa 86-83 in the third and final day of the competition.

Valtinho led the winners with 21 points while Alex Garcia, who was named MVP of the tournament, had 19 points, 6 rebounds and 6 assists. Arthur Luiz netted 13 points and Estevam Ferreira 10.

Halcones started the game with an aggressive attack led by Samuel Bowie and Ray Castillo to give the host a 29-19 lead. Halcones had a 12 points lead (29-17) and Valtinho finished the quarter with a basket for the 29-19 score. The Mexicans shot 11-16 from the field including 4-8 from three point range and 3-4 from the free throw line. Valtinho had 9 of the 19 points scored by the Brazilian team.

The second quarter continued with Halcones dominating and they had an 18 point lead (43-25) after a three pointer by Victor Mariscal but Valtinho along with Alex and Rafael Mineiro started to cut the lead, including a 9-0 run, to finish at halftime 49-43 in favor of the host.

Samuel Bowie led Halcones with 11 points and was followed by Victor Mariscal and Gustavo Ayon with 8 points each. Valtinho and Alex led the attack for the team from Brasilia with 11 and 10 points, respectively.

The second half started with an effective attack by Halcones with two pointers by Gustavo Ayon and three point baskets by Abdul Mills and Victor Avila to have a 59-47 lead. Universo answered with four three pointers in a row to tie the game at 59 at the half point of the third quarter. The three pointers continued falling for Universo who had a 70-67 lead at the end of the quarter.

Both teams struggled in the start of the fourth quarter showing good intensity on the defensive side. Halcones and Universo exchanged the lead many times but the Brazilian team lost Diego Pinheiro and Rafael Mineiro due to foul trouble. At the end Halcones forced some plays and lost the opportunity to win the title while Estevam and Valtinho gave Universo the win from the free throw line.

Abdul Mills led Halcones with 21 points while Samuel Bowie followed with 15. The Mexicans shot 9-29 from three point range, a key stat in their loss.

Champions of the FIBA Americas League:

2007/2008: Peñarol Mar del Plata (Argentina)
2008/2009: Universo/BRB (Brasil)

The next edition of the FIBA Americas League will qualify two teams to the FIBA World Club Championship to be played in 2010.
http://www.fibaamericas.com/noticiasread_us.asp?r=EHWWJGRRII

Congrats to Universo Brasília ;)

J-Mart
02-09-2009, 07:05 PM
Now with that tournament finished, FIBA Americas may get out of their a**es to tell us where the TOA is going to be played ? Other continents have their sites known...this is all typically Latino:mad:

Congrats to Universo !

they already said that Mexico will host the tournament
Puerto Rico and Argentina withdrew their offers :rolleyes:

alermac
02-10-2009, 06:05 PM
I wrote this a month ago:

We can safely say Universo is probably the worst team among group-winners.
So much for my prediction:rolleyes:

I was on vacation during the F4, so I missed it:confused: but it's logical a team with such a roster (two players thet were recently on Maccabi Tel Aviv!!) would eventually show its level.

rikhardur
02-11-2009, 10:30 PM
BRA – Universo/BRB hero Alex ecstatic after FIBA Americas League win

RIO DE JANEIRO (FIBA Americas League) - Alex Garcia is on cloud nine after winning a title with Universo/BRB immediately upon his return to Brazil from the professional ranks of Europe.

The former Maccabi Tel Aviv shooting guard was voted MVP of Universo’s FIBA Americas League Final Four triumph over the weekend.

Universo defeated fellow Brazilians Minas Tenis, Bigua of Uruguay and then hosts Halcones Xalapa.

“I was very happy with my showing, but I shared this prize with the players and the coaches,” Alex said.

“From the first phase of the competition, we overtook opponents of an excellent technical level like Flamengo and Libertad Sunchales of Argentina.

“And in the end, we imposed our standard of play to be champions.”

Alex, 28, is no stranger to international competition, and especially with Brazil.

He turned out most recently with the national team last summer in Athens for the FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament and averaged 10 points and three rebounds per game.

His Universo coach Lula Ferreira was the national team boss who led Brazil at the 2006 FIBA World Championship.

Ferreira was thrilled with his players’ performance last weekend.

“The team had the right attitude from the beginning, with all of the players very concentrated,” he said.

“It was the group that prevailed throughout the competition.”
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/29389/arti.html