PDA

View Full Version : SEABA Stankovic Cup Qualifier (July ~)

interxavierxxx
03-12-2008, 07:49 PM
Guys... what do you think? Do you think the SBP will send a trained national team to this tournament?

thadzonline
03-13-2008, 12:50 AM
I am for sending the Youth team, it should be a good challenege for them while also not too tough to handle I guess

donmar
03-13-2008, 07:19 AM
I'm for sending the Senior Men's National Team since other countries will send their national teams to warm-up before the Olympic Games... the national team need this kind of international exposure...

Even in the SEABA Qualifier... we need to show other South East Asian countries that we are serious and that we mean business!

thadzonline
03-13-2008, 08:25 AM
While sending our senior men's team is making sure we dont get embarrassed and win the SEABA, I somehow feel it is an overkill. I have confidence that the Youth team can be competitive at the SEABA level with a few key additions especially at the center/power forward slot. They also need the exposure and will do them good in their future if ever they make the senior men's NT someday.

C2Hamm
03-13-2008, 09:14 AM
While sending our senior men's team is making sure we dont get embarrassed and win the SEABA, I somehow feel it is an overkill. I have confidence that the Youth team can be competitive at the SEABA level with a few key additions especially at the center/power forward slot. They also need the exposure and will do them good in their future if ever they make the senior men's NT someday.
Youth plus Japeth, Gian, and JDG. If its in July, it should be their summer break right?

Lebron23
03-13-2008, 09:25 AM
Youth plus Japeth, Gian, and JDG. If its in July, it should be their summer break right?

Japeth is already 21 yrs.old

Gian Chiu is 19 yrs.old

RP Youth Teams are players, who are 18 and under.

rensquared
03-13-2008, 09:43 AM
I'd go for the seniors

JET007
03-13-2008, 10:52 AM
I'd go for the seniors
send the senior NT...the U18 team may win SEABA, but they're going to get get wiped out by the senior NTs of other nations in the FIBA Stankovic cup...

ankle breaker
03-13-2008, 01:41 PM

Gian Chiu is 19 yrs.old

is this tournament for veterans? why send the national men's team?

thadzonline
03-13-2008, 04:15 PM
send the senior NT...the U18 team may win SEABA, but they're going to get get wiped out by the senior NTs of other nations in the FIBA Stankovic cup...

if the Youth Team wins the SEABA, they will clinch the spot for the Stankovic but doesnt mean that they are necessarily the team that will compete at Stankovic

ankle breaker
03-13-2008, 07:59 PM
if the Youth Team wins the SEABA, they will clinch the spot for the Stankovic but doesnt mean that they are necessarily the team that will compete at Stankovic
ok everything's clear now. the nations stint in stankovic cup lies in the hands of the U18 team. If they can make it, any philippine team can play in the cup.

b3lowzro
03-14-2008, 04:51 AM
ok everything's clear now. the nations stint in stankovic cup lies in the hands of the U18 team. If they can make it, any philippine team can play in the cup.

Wait I'm confused is this for seniors or for U18?

If this is for seniors why can't we just send a merger team between NCAA and UAAP champs. We'll just lose if we send the U18 'cause they'll face their bigger counterparts here in ASEAN

super_defender
03-14-2008, 06:13 AM
We can send the youth team with reinforcements of Japeth Aguilar and Gian Chiu..the rules fro SEABA don't state that the players competing should be under 18, and besides thats why they're called reinforcements...It will be a good experience for Japeth and Gian to have international exposure,..on the down side, if we lose the SEABA because of this line-up then we can't qualify for the other Stankovic cups

PRSURF
03-14-2008, 07:22 AM
This is with seniors players.:rolleyes:

bolabasket
03-14-2008, 07:58 AM
send in Graham Lim's team again :D

Project_Olympics
03-14-2008, 09:25 AM
6 senior players
6 youth players

C2Hamm
03-14-2008, 09:42 AM

Gian Chiu is 19 yrs.old

yep, that's the reason why Japeth and Gian are not part of the youth team.

ankle breaker
03-14-2008, 01:39 PM
as far as i understood the whole scenario. the SEABA U18 tournament is a qualifier for the stankovic cup where nations can send any of their juniors and seniors team.

jramoyo
03-14-2008, 04:07 PM
if they are required to send the same team (the one that qualified) to the actual tournament, then they'd have to send a seniors team A... else send a team B to the qualifier (aspirants or some sort) then send team A to the tournament (assuming team B qualifies)...

b3lowzro
03-14-2008, 04:38 PM
as far as i understood the whole scenario. the SEABA U18 tournament is a qualifier for the stankovic cup where nations can send any of their juniors and seniors team.

U18 SEABA tourney is different tourney from the Stankovic Cup qualifier.. the U18 SEBA tourney is the qualifying round for ASEAN for the U18 FIba-Asia while the Stankovic qualifier is for the Stankovic Cup

b3lowzro
05-06-2008, 04:26 AM
Hey guys i think we have to revive this thread...

I dont think the guys at the BAP-SBP are making press releases or something that would make our country participate in this international tourney. It's already May for chrissake and the PBA or PBL is just celebrating their all star festivities

passfirstguard
05-06-2008, 04:47 AM
i'd go for sending young players..could it be japeth,gian or jr cawaling and the youth team..since its just a qualifier for the stankovic cup..give those young guys exposure,it would be helpful for them..:)

C2Hamm
05-06-2008, 05:48 AM
i'd go for sending young players..could it be japeth,gian or jr cawaling and the youth team..since its just a qualifier for the stankovic cup..give those young guys exposure,it would be helpful for them..:)
i like your idea, except it's already start of the collegiate season... so no cawaling, baracael, or anyone who is still in school. Japeth, Gian, and Jerico should play if their schools allows them.

RayV
05-06-2008, 06:08 AM
i like your idea, except it's already start of the collegiate season... so no cawaling, baracael, or anyone who is still in school. Japeth, Gian, and Jerico should play if their schools allows them.

So what team could participate for this? A PBL squad/selection or a PBA selection (which I doubt depending on the schedule)...

I hope they don't send just any selection out of the blue because they have to remember, this is also a FIBA-sanctioned event... :)

C2Hamm
05-06-2008, 07:51 AM
So what team could participate for this? A PBL squad/selection or a PBA selection (which I doubt depending on the schedule)...

I hope they don't send just any selection out of the blue because they have to remember, this is also a FIBA-sanctioned event... :)
i think the only available is a PBL backed team OR players from MVBA and NBC. Anyone want to say CeSAFI selection is good to go by this time?

ankle breaker
05-06-2008, 02:35 PM
CESAFI selection may look good but it's not going to give us a good result. I'm not downplaying their chances or their capabilities but the who will represent the country should have at least a fearsome lineup that can instill fear to opponents. CESAFI selection might succumbed to pressure in the end.

lrangels
05-06-2008, 03:09 PM
When is this tournament going to start? Is this tournament coincide with the Jones Cup? Keep in mind that the Jones Cup is in July.

;)

thadzonline
05-07-2008, 12:50 AM
CESAFI selection may look good but it's not going to give us a good result. I'm not downplaying their chances or their capabilities but the who will represent the country should have at least a fearsome lineup that can instill fear to opponents. CESAFI selection might succumbed to pressure in the end.

true, we might be getting a higher level of competition but to be able to get to an international tournament, just needs guys to step up their game notches higher

Silent Killer
05-07-2008, 04:45 AM
just send the seniors team. get players from 4 eliminated teams from the PBA and let them play in SEABA qualifier for Stankovic Cup. Plus let Japeth and Dillenger play for the team to get international exposure. and added 5th eliminated team or 6th eliminated team from PBA will further beef up the 12 man roster.

phevergy
05-07-2008, 12:26 PM
Orig posted by Silent Killer
just send the seniors team. get players from 4 eliminated teams from the PBA and let them play in SEABA qualifier for Stankovic Cup. Plus let Japeth and Dillenger play for the team to get international exposure. and added 5th eliminated team or 6th eliminated team from PBA will further beef up the 12 man roster.

Who is this guy(Dillenger)i've been reading many times on this forum?
Do we have any proof that he's willing to play for the RP team on the future?
If none,then there's no way to talk abt this guy anymore...:)

ankle breaker
05-07-2008, 04:00 PM
he's a fil-am from university of hawaii.

b3lowzro
05-08-2008, 01:56 AM
and he's going to play for San Mig Coffee in the PBL for the play offs, but no press releases of some sort.

Guys what is the announcement of the BAP-SBP for the Stankovic Cup?

thadzonline
05-08-2008, 02:05 AM
and he's going to play for San Mig Coffee in the PBL for the play offs, but no press releases of some sort.

Guys what is the announcement of the BAP-SBP for the Stankovic Cup?

Is there any confirmation to that news? IS that even allowed per PBL rules? I mean, he wasn't drafted

b3lowzro
05-08-2008, 02:07 AM
Is there any confirmation to that news? IS that even allowed per PBL rules? I mean, he wasn't drafted

nick stephens played for harbour centre without going to the draft system

ankle breaker
05-08-2008, 03:27 PM
i think the PBL doesn't have rules like the PBA and besides it's an amateur league so it's somehow lenient when it comes to accepting players.

interxavierxxx
06-11-2008, 03:57 AM
Can we or can we not send a team to this tournament?

The FIBA Asia Stankovic cup will be held on October 9-17, 2008 in Kuwait. By then, we can have a squad prepared given that the PBA 2007-08 has ended by July and many players will be available. The opening of a new PBA season usually opens around October but I believe we can make it.

As for the qualifier, the Philippines will have to compete in the SEABA Stankovic cup qualifer on July 23-27, 2008 in Thailand. If the PBA is still ongoing, I guess it won't hurt to send the Harbour-RP squad to the tournament. They already proved to be a high caliber team when against our SEA neighbors. They had a better winning margin against them in the 2007 South East Asian games compared to our Pros back in the 2007 SEABA qualifier for the 2007 FIBA Asia Championshio.

So what do you think? If ever, let us email the SBP to remind them of this imporant matter. Thank you.

jesronne
06-11-2008, 04:18 AM
ya lets send the harbour team and dont expect anything from PBA... all they care about is money and not the nations pride

C2Hamm
06-11-2008, 07:06 AM
ya lets send the harbour team and dont expect anything from PBA... all they care about is money and not the nations pride
the organizers will only invite a team made of pro players.

ankle breaker
06-11-2008, 01:49 PM
we can't even put up a team for Jones cup, so it's likely going to be the same with this stankovic cup.

reamily
06-12-2008, 10:50 AM
we can't even put up a team for Jones cup, so it's likely going to be the same with this stankovic cup.

This is a important tournament a fiba sanctioned one where the best in asia will participate except for China.

seigle42
06-21-2008, 03:54 AM
SEABA stankovic? Its good for CESAFI selection might can be win this tournament.. seriously!

ronnie
07-18-2008, 05:26 AM
Guys... what do you think? Do you think the SBP will send a trained national team to this tournament?
i think so!

guys do you know that there is another fil-can player in our rp youth basketball team who will play in iran? his name is mathew wright from toronto canada and his mother is from tarlac philippines.