PDA

View Full Version : Metropolitan Basketball Association (1998-2002)

Pages : [1] 2

Servinio
03-09-2008, 09:14 AM
MBA @ 10

MARCH 7, 2008 should have marked the 10th anniversary of the establishment of the Metropolitan Basketball Association (MBA).

It was like only yesterday that the lavish opening ceremonies were held with no less than President Fidel V. Ramos and the legendary Carlos Loyzaga as the guests of honor at the Narciso Ramos Sports Center in Lingayen, Pangasinan.

All 12 pioneer teams were there to parade that Saturday afternoon. Anjanette Abayari led the cheerleaders. There was even a helicopter during the opening to take an aerial shot of the venue.

The first game was the Manila Metrostars of Louie and Jomi Chuidian and Coach Ricky Dandan versus the Cebu Gems of Jean Henri Lhuillier and Coach Jun Tan. Forward Peter Martin scored the first basket and his Metrostars went on to win the game.

The host Pangasinan Presidents of Tim Orbos and Coach Dong Vergeire bowed to the gritty Socsargen Marlins of Ben Solon and Coach Biboy Ravanes in the featured contest. The Marlins drew great plays from Max Delantes and Malai Malabanan.

The next day (March 8 ), the group motored down to the Bren Z. Guiao Convention Center in the City of San Fernando for the second doubleheader.

Those were the days . . . .

the big boss
03-09-2008, 01:11 PM
i really miss those days.....watching it live was much fun...

thadzonline
03-09-2008, 01:26 PM
i really miss those days.....watching it live was much fun...

you can say the same for Cebu although I did not particularly like the debris-pelting incidents the Gems fans were infamous for

ward
03-09-2008, 01:41 PM
I miss the days wherein we troop to the "New Cebu Coliseum", unmindful of the stench, the sweat, the huge crowd just to partake in the euphoria of the so called Cebu Gems basketball!..

Dondon Hontiveros was the first casualty of the first game wherein he broke his hand but later returned and went on to become the superstar that he is!:cool:

ricodgame
03-10-2008, 09:06 AM
i like dis kind of format dan in the PBA

ankle breaker
03-10-2008, 02:15 PM
MBA was a great league if it was just managed properly. the bad thing there was they relied purely on ABS-CBN. I think, that was just a payback by ABS when the failed to snatch the PBA.
i think we should wait and see what the new liga pilipinas can bring when the open this year. hopefully it will as exciting as the MBA.

RetiredJordanStopper
03-10-2008, 09:05 PM
The problem with this league was they tried to compete with the more established PBA in terms of players' services... maybe because ABS-CBN pushed them to..or otherwise. The giant network even subsidized the salaries of big name recruits like Adducul, Ferriols, Hizon, Ravena, Morano etc..even had a bidding war with Idlefonso, Marlou and the like.

Some PBA players even use the league as leverage to sweeteen their contract renewals (Marlou comes to mind )....then the PBA reacted with its own approach (the direct hires from the amatuers foregoing the usual draft process and recruitment of top notch fil ams)..the result, escalating salaries of players. Add this to the enormous logistic expenses of travelling, boarding, etc. no wonder, less financed teams dropped like flies in an instant. The MBA even tried contraction, or merging two teams together like batangas and manila into one team.

But no amount of band-aid solution was enough to stop the bleeding, and ABS's pullout made things worse. You can credit ABS for its success when they hyped the league to the untapped countryside when they realized they're on the losing end in the metro..... but blame of its collapse must also go to ABS for overpaying players and over-hyping the MBA,even resorting to calling the PBA, the unflattering senior league (which meant, the players were old, not the stature of the league)....and hyping the MBA as a "major league" and a PBA-equal at least, well in reality, it's just above the PBL. ABS abandoned the league when they realized they cant make profit on their "investments" thus signing MBA death warrant.

The MBA's concept was most ideal...an idea ahead of its time.But it became a victim of its own success.

ankle breaker
03-10-2008, 09:50 PM
i agree, as a matter of fact they put a team (iloilo megavoltz) owned by a lopez scion to make it more appealing. i guess the real culprit of the MBA's demise is ABS-CBN.

JET007
03-11-2008, 02:00 AM
man...I love the davao eagles...

gambitx
03-11-2008, 12:43 PM
The problem with this league was they tried to compete with the more established PBA in terms of players' services... maybe because ABS-CBN pushed them to..or otherwise. The giant network even subsidized the salaries of big name recruits like Adducul, Ferriols, Hizon, Ravena, Morano etc..even had a bidding war with Idlefonso, Marlou and the like.

Some PBA players even use the league as leverage to sweeteen their contract renewals (Marlou comes to mind )....then the PBA reacted with its own approach (the direct hires from the amatuers foregoing the usual draft process and recruitment of top notch fil ams)..the result, escalating salaries of players. Add this to the enormous logistic expenses of travelling, boarding, etc. no wonder, less financed teams dropped like flies in an instant. The MBA even tried contraction, or merging two teams together like batangas and manila into one team.

But no amount of band-aid solution was enough to stop the bleeding, and ABS's pullout made things worse. You can credit ABS for its success when they hyped the league to the untapped countryside when they realized they're on the losing end in the metro..... but blame of its collapse must also go to ABS for overpaying players and over-hyping the MBA,even resorting to calling the PBA, the unflattering senior league (which meant, the players were old, not the stature of the league)....and hyping the MBA as a "major league" and a PBA-equal at least, well in reality, it's just above the PBL. ABS abandoned the league when they realized they cant make profit on their "investments" thus signing MBA death warrant.

The MBA's concept was most ideal...an idea ahead of its time.But it became a victim of its own success.

Made me wonder, what if Adducul went to the PBA instead..

ankle breaker
03-11-2008, 01:16 PM
he's going to be a journeyman still though a bit early.

Coke_Hero
03-11-2008, 02:01 PM
I'm a Metrostars fan. I just love it when Alex Compton and Rommel Adducul led the North squad in almost everything. I love the Nueva Ecija Patriots too. Apparently, they got commercialized after a couple of years...

ankle breaker
03-11-2008, 09:10 PM
I'm a Metrostars fan. I just love it when Alex Compton and Rommel Adducul led the North squad in almost everything. I love the Nueva Ecija Patriots too. Apparently, they got commercialized after a couple of years...
im a cebu gems and davao eagles fan.

thadzonline
03-12-2008, 12:31 AM
im a cebu gems and davao eagles fan.

i'm a fan of the rivalry between the Negros Slashers and the Cebu Gems :p

the cool cat
03-12-2008, 06:59 AM
i'm a fan of the rivalry between the Negros Slashers and the Cebu Gems :p just love it when cebu gems faces negros slashers. it was great. cebu coliseum is a sell out. love those days..

Silent Killer
03-12-2008, 07:04 AM
My fave team inn MBA then is Manila Metrostars, Socsargen Marlins and When Manila was gone, Batangas Blades

Manila metrostars then is always a playoff contender and a championship contender. i like the league itself. they discover talents all over the country and thus give other unproven players in PBA to show their game in MBA. i miss the old rivalries like cebu-negros, manila-cebu, iloilo-cebu.

the players that discovered in provinces (Hontiveros, Hugnatan, S.Padilla) players that hone their skills further (Simon, Ferriols, Calaguio, Miller, Ejercito, Singson) Discovered Fil-ams (Wainright, Hatfield, Helterbrand)

hope in la liga filipina they'll discover talents from provinces that has potential in playing for NT and possible in PBA.

ankle breaker
03-12-2008, 01:44 PM
oh yeah, when coins are pelted to the slashers and the referees plus other debris such plastic cups, bottles and more. that's happening everytime the audience felt that a bad call was made or the call did not favor the home team. that's what cebu fans are known for. not only in the MBA but in any games, leagues or other events such as boxing and MMA. one incident in which i can say was truly a disheartening incident made by cebuano holliganism was between NCR and REGION VII in 1994 palarong pambansa held in Cebu City Sports Center. The game was not even finished because the raucous crowds and holliganism. it was replayed closed doors and was eventually won by NCR via rout.

thadzonline
03-12-2008, 03:02 PM
I particularly don't like the kind of hooliganism displayed by Cebuano sports fans, the last time being in the Darchinyan vs. Gorres fight which I personally felt Gorres lost but it was called a split draw in the end.

ankle breaker
03-12-2008, 04:12 PM
I particularly don't like the kind of hooliganism displayed by Cebuano sports fans, the last time being in the Darchinyan vs. Gorres fight which I personally felt Gorres lost but it was called a split draw in the end.
i don't like it too. cebuanos and british are alike.... in terms of hooliganism. :D

Coke_Hero
03-12-2008, 05:08 PM
the players that discovered in provinces (Hontiveros, Hugnatan, S.Padilla) players that hone their skills further (Simon, Ferriols, Calaguio, Miller, Ejercito, Singson) Discovered Fil-ams (Wainright, Hatfield, Helterbrand)

Where is STEPHEN PADILLA? He's really a great streak shooter. He's like the Ren-Ren Ritrualo of Cebu.

thadzonline
03-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Where is STEPHEN PADILLA? He's really a great streak shooter. He's like the Ren-Ren Ritrualo of Cebu.

he is with M. Lhuillier Kwarta Padala Jewelers in Cebu

JET007
03-13-2008, 01:45 AM
I like the davao-cebu rivalry...PJ Simon was the ace player of the eagles...:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

thadzonline
03-13-2008, 04:44 AM
;)
I like the davao-cebu rivalry...PJ Simon was the ace player of the eagles...:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

before Simon came, it was Donbel Belano and Paul Guerrero I remember..Belano had a quadruple double against he Willie-Miller led Nueva Ecija patriots back then

bolabasket
03-13-2008, 11:08 AM
I wonder what happened to Matt Mitchell (6-6 Center, Fil-Am?)

ankle breaker
03-13-2008, 01:12 PM
he's in playing in the venezuelan pro league. if not for the national anthem fracas. he could have played in the PBA.

Coke_Hero
03-13-2008, 02:49 PM
he is with M. Lhuillier Kwarta Padala Jewelers in Cebu

Awww, Stephen Padilla was doing great in the PBA...

b3lowzro
03-13-2008, 03:08 PM
^^^ well Alaska got Miller so why should they use another shooter in the team

thadzonline
03-13-2008, 04:14 PM

I doubt if he was legit at all

ankle breaker
03-13-2008, 08:02 PM
I doubt if he was legit at all
he was a legit filam but the controversy he's into like the national anthem and the contract displute with ML blow it into pieces.

HoopNightmare
03-13-2008, 11:21 PM
The MBA was a fun league to play in. I enjoyed it.. Servinio do you have pictures???

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/9308/21qs0.th.jpg (http://img213.imageshack.us/my.php?image=21qs0.jpg)

thadzonline
03-14-2008, 01:19 AM
The MBA was a fun league to play in. I enjoyed it.. Servinio do you have pictures???

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/9308/21qs0.th.jpg (http://img213.imageshack.us/my.php?image=21qs0.jpg)

hey Mr. Jayjay Robles, did you ever play here too?

HoopNightmare
03-14-2008, 01:47 PM
hey Mr. Jayjay Robles, did you ever play here too?

I had a brief stint...

ankle breaker
03-14-2008, 02:09 PM
I had a brief stint...
is it for pangasinan waves or batangas blades?

HoopNightmare
03-14-2008, 05:46 PM
is it for pangasinan waves or batangas blades?

For the Pampanga Dragons...

thadzonline
03-15-2008, 04:01 AM

i see....any update on chritopher's plans? please send me a PM..thanks

ankle breaker
03-17-2008, 02:01 PM
oh i see. so you team up with roloff liangco, dave bautista, eric gascon and ato agustin.

Coke_Hero
03-18-2008, 02:18 PM
Eric Gascon's really good though he had a downward spiral

ankle breaker
03-18-2008, 02:52 PM
Eric Gascon's really good though he had a downward spiral
what do you mean by this? isn't it the title of the album released by Nine inch nails in 1994? It include hit tracks like Mr. Self Destruct, The downward spiral and March of the pigs.

HoopNightmare
03-18-2008, 05:02 PM
oh i see. so you team up with roloff liangco, dave bautista, eric gascon and ato agustin.

Noped. I played with Bong Alvarez, Long David, Estong Ballesteros, Junel Mendiola, Ato Morano, etc...

Coke_Hero
03-18-2008, 05:07 PM
Noped. I played with Bong Alvarez, Long David, Estong Ballesteros, Junel Mendiola, Ato Morano, etc...

Ato Morano's a great streak shooter, ain't he? What can you say about Bong Alvarez? Was he really that violent?

HoopNightmare
03-19-2008, 05:36 PM
Ato Morano's a great streak shooter, ain't he? What can you say about Bong Alvarez? Was he really that violent?

Ato was off all year. But yeah he is a STREAK shooter. Keyword streak. But he was still good and I learned a lot from him. Bong was my childhood idol and I was suprised to find out that i was going to be playing with him. But no he was not violent when I knew him. Tough but not violent... HE seemed to already have a bad rep when I got there.

Servinio
03-19-2008, 08:03 PM
oh i see. so you team up with roloff liangco, dave bautista, eric gascon and ato agustin.Noped. I played with Bong Alvarez, Long David, Estong Ballesteros, Junel Mendiola, Ato Morano, etc...
2000 PAMPANGA DRAGONS
Opening Day Roster
Paul ALVAREZ
Ernesto BALLESTEROS
Theodore CARINO
Gabriel Marco CUI
Angelo DAVID
Alejandro DE GUZMAN
Valentin DOMINGO
Junel MENDIOLA
Renato MORANO
Jayjay ROBLES
Renato SUBA
Melvin TAGUINES
Dionisio VALERIO
Head Coach: Bonifacio GARCIA
Assistants: Jaime MANANSALA, Ernie LAUREL, Romeo LOPEZ

Notes:

1. Alvarez and Domingo were later traded to Pasig-Rizal for Michael Allan Otto and Jonathan de Guzman;

2. Valerio, Robles and Carino were released in midseason;

3. Harlan Yu was then signed as a free agent.

Coke_Hero
03-20-2008, 05:17 AM
Bonnie Garcia then coached for the Laguna Lakers, right?

ankle breaker
03-20-2008, 04:41 PM
2000 PAMPANGA DRAGONS
Opening Day Roster
Paul ALVAREZ
Ernesto BALLESTEROS
Theodore CARINO
Gabriel Marco CUI
Angelo DAVID
Alejandro DE GUZMAN
Valentin DOMINGO
Junel MENDIOLA
Renato MORANO
Jayjay ROBLES
Renato SUBA
Melvin TAGUINES
Dionisio VALERIO
Head Coach: Bonifacio GARCIA
Assistants: Jaime MANANSALA, Ernie LAUREL, Romeo LOPEZ

Notes:

1. Alvarez and Domingo were later traded to Pasig-Rizal for Michael Allan Otto and Jonathan de Guzman;

2. Valerio, Robles and Carino were released in midseason;

3. Harlan Yu was then signed as a free agent.
im wondering where is rene suba now? he's one hell of a bruiser/defender.

Coke_Hero
03-20-2008, 04:42 PM
Maybe he got engulfed with all the lahar in Pampanga

Servinio
03-20-2008, 05:23 PM
Bonnie Garcia then coached for the Laguna Lakers, right?
YES. When Pampanga took a leave after the 2000 season, Coach Boni Garcia returned to the FedEx Laguna Lakers for his second tour of duty with the team in 2001. It was also the Lakers' final MBA season before transferring to the PBA in 2002. Coach Garcia was then retained as part of team management and eventually reassumed the head coaching chores when Coach Frederick Pumaren left the team.

Coach Garcia first handled the Lakers from 1998 to midway through the 1999 season when he was replaced by his assistant and former PBA player Cecilio Marcelino on an interim basis. The coaching job was then given full-time to former PBA enforcer Victor "Rambo" Sanchez who lasted for the balance of the 2000 season.

The Lakers were coached in 2000 by Ed Cordero first, followed by Dolreich Perasol who took over after a string of losses in the latter half of the year. Coach Perasol then moved to a management position to accomodate the returning Coach Garcia in 2001.

Servinio
03-20-2008, 05:30 PM
im wondering where is rene suba now? he's one hell of a bruiser/defender.
After his one-year MBA stint in 2000, Renato "Rene" Suba managed to return to the PBL were he joined Welcoat Paints. After a conference or two, Rene decided to accept a job offer in the United Arab Emirates where he has been based since.

I believe Rene pound for pound was one of the toughest hombres ever in the MBA, earning his appropriate nickname "The Virus". In practice, he would not be scared to play his teammates rough during drills and scrimmages. Some would even go to the point of losing their cool. Game time was a different story. Perhaps the scariest point of Rene's MBA career was a game at San Juan when he caught a Danny Capobres elbow right smack on his throat while running at full speed. Rene had to be carried out of the court by his teammates.

thadzonline
03-20-2008, 07:14 PM
After his one-year MBA stint in 2000, Renato "Rene" Suba managed to return to the PBL were he joined Welcoat Paints. After a conference or two, Rene decided to accept a job offer in the United Arab Emirates where he has been based since.

I believe Rene pound for pound was one of the toughest hombres ever in the MBA, earning his appropriate nickname "The Virus". In practice, he would not be scared to play his teammates rough during drills and scrimmages. Some would even go to the point of losing their cool. Game time was a different story. Perhaps the scariest point of Rene's MBA career was a game at San Juan when he caught a Danny Capobres elbow right smack on his throat while running at full speed. Rene had to be carried out of the court by his teammates.
with all that bulk of Danny Capobres, it sure would have hurt..Was Danny Capobres still playing for Iloilo Mega Voltz when this happened?

Coke_Hero
03-21-2008, 05:38 AM
Dong Pulistico, Vince Hizon, Ronald Magtulis, and Dale Singson played for the Iloilo Megavoltz, right?

thadzonline
03-21-2008, 07:45 AM
Dong Pulistico, Vince Hizon, Ronald Magtulis, and Dale Singson played for the Iloilo Megavoltz, right?

Marlon Basco, Francis Arabit and Nate Payne too, wonder where Payne is?

ankle breaker
03-21-2008, 03:10 PM
Marlon Basco, Francis Arabit and Nate Payne too, wonder where Payne is?
I think Payne is in the states playing in some filam leagues. He's said to be a son of former PBA import if Im not mistaken. There was also this big bodied player who's lastname i think is johnson. He was said to be a volleyball player.

Servinio
03-21-2008, 04:25 PM
with all that bulk of Danny Capobres, it sure would have hurt..Was Danny Capobres still playing for Iloilo Mega Voltz when this happened?
Danny Capobres was already with the San Juan Knights by then, the 2000 season. He first played for the then Iloilo Volts in 1998 and then transferred to the Knights in 1999 and stayed there until the team disbanded in 2001. By 2002, Capobres was already in the PBA with FedEx.

By the way, the game where he hit Rene Suba on the throat happened at the San Juan Gym in 2000.

Coke_Hero
03-21-2008, 04:34 PM
I think Payne is in the states playing in some filam leagues. He's said to be a son of former PBA import if Im not mistaken. There was also this big bodied player who's lastname i think is johnson. He was said to be a volleyball player.

Rob Johnson? He's a stocky PG. Like a Japs Cuan but Johnson's like a street baller.

Servinio
03-21-2008, 04:51 PM
ILOILO VOLTS/ILOILO MEGAVOLTZ ALL-TIME PLAYER LIST

Alejandro T. de Guzman (1998)
Karlos Raymund A. Primero (1998-1999)
Francis Aquino (1998-2000)
Danilo Capobres (1998)
Silver Villafuerte (1998)
Django Rivera (1998-1999)
Ricardo Marata (1998)
Francis Arabit (1998)
Elou H. Antenor Cruz (1998)
Fortunate Payne (1998)
Billy Wayne Johnson (1998)
Rafael Y. Dinglasan (1998)
Aaron Bansuelo (1998)
Harmon Codiñera (1998-1999)
Quinteliano Roy D. Literal Jr. (1998-2000)
Joven C. Mente (1998-2000)
Ricky Camañag (1998)
Riolito Lura (1999-2000)
Jose Miguel S. Santamaria (1999-2000)
Alejandro Lim (1999-2000)
Ronald C. Magtulis (1999)
Dale Singson (1999-2000)
Vicente P. Hizon (1999-2000)
Elpidio Villamin (1999-2000)
Dominic Philip E. Uy (1999-2000)
Rey Cantona (1999)
Adriano Polistico (1999-2000)
Marlon Basco (1999-2000)
Allan P. Gamboa (2000)
Joseph Allan Salangsang (2000)
Eiven Lou Gatumbato (2000)
Nestor Echano (2000)

Head Coaches:
Rodolfo Segura (1998)
Michael Reyes (1998)
Daniel Gavieres (1999-2000)

Servinio
03-21-2008, 04:59 PM
Rob Johnson? He's a stocky PG. Like a Japs Cuan but Johnson's like a street baller.
Fortunate Jesus Payne is the some of James Payne, who played as an import for Yco Paints in the MICAA before the PBA was created. Payne disappeared after his one-year stint with Iloilo in 1998 but resurfaced in 2002 as a member of the Pampanga Stars.

The player surnamed Johnson who played for Iloilo in 1998 is Billy Wayne Johnson. However, he is not a Fil-Am but an Amerasian. Johnson played varsity ball at the Lyceum of the Philippines.

Rob Johnson never played in the MBA. The closest he came to was in the preseason of 2002 when he was with the Pangasinan Waves. Just before the season began, the Waves signed up veteran Kalani Ferreria so Johnson had to go since the team was already above the limit for Fil-foreign players.

ankle breaker
03-21-2008, 07:45 PM
It's not rob johnson. I know him and he never played in the MBA. rob johnson burst into the philippine basketball scene as a highly touted filam guard. He joined the tryout for the centennial team with jimmy alapag but didn't made the cut. He however was able to make it to the PBA a year after with ginebra then transferred to purefoods later.
servinio was correct. it's billy johnson, the burly forward of iloilo megavoltz before.

thadzonline
03-22-2008, 02:08 PM
ILOILO VOLTS/ILOILO MEGAVOLTZ ALL-TIME PLAYER LIST

Alejandro T. de Guzman (1998)
Karlos Raymund A. Primero (1998-1999)
Francis Aquino (1998-2000)
Danilo Capobres (1998)
Silver Villafuerte (1998)
Django Rivera (1998-1999)
Ricardo Marata (1998)
Francis Arabit (1998)
Elou H. Antenor Cruz (1998)
Fortunate Payne (1998)
Billy Wayne Johnson (1998)
Rafael Y. Dinglasan (1998)
Aaron Bansuelo (1998)
Harmon Codiñera (1998-1999)
Quinteliano Roy D. Literal Jr. (1998-2000)
Joven C. Mente (1998-2000)
Ricky Camañag (1998)
Riolito Lura (1999-2000)
Jose Miguel S. Santamaria (1999-2000)
Alejandro Lim (1999-2000)
Ronald C. Magtulis (1999)
Dale Singson (1999-2000)
Vicente P. Hizon (1999-2000)
Elpidio Villamin (1999-2000)
Dominic Philip E. Uy (1999-2000)
Rey Cantona (1999)
Adriano Polistico (1999-2000)
Marlon Basco (1999-2000)
Allan P. Gamboa (2000)
Joseph Allan Salangsang (2000)
Eiven Lou Gatumbato (2000)
Nestor Echano (2000)

Head Coaches:
Rodolfo Segura (1998)
Michael Reyes (1998)
Daniel Gavieres (1999-2000)

Who is that coach Michael Reyes? Is it coach Mike of USC and M. Lhuillier now?(Jose Miguel Reyes?) I remember him coaching the CDO Nuggets though with Jun Jabar, Peter Naron, Nic Jabagat

Servinio
03-22-2008, 05:26 PM
Who is that coach Michael Reyes? Is it coach Mike of USC and M. Lhuillier now?(Jose Miguel Reyes?) I remember him coaching the CDO Nuggets though with Jun Jabar, Peter Naron, Nic Jabagat
YES, that is Coach Mike Reyes, who took over from Coach Rodolfo Segura when the Iloilo Volts started losing midway through the 1998 season. Before his appointment, Coach Reyes was an assistant at the Pampanga Dragons under Coach Aric del Rosario.

The Cagayan de Oro franchise was handled by (in order) -- David Zamar, Reonel Parado, Arlene Rodriguez and Reonel Parado again before the team took a leave after the 2000 season. Coach Victor Ycasiano was their coach when the team returned in 2002.

Phelhiphe
03-25-2008, 06:20 AM
anyone here knows Norlam Aquino and Allan de Castro both are claimed to play in MBA for Batangas Blades..:confused: :confused: :confused:

ankle breaker
03-25-2008, 01:31 PM
never heard of these guys suited for batangas blades or any other MBA team before. maybe they were taken in as local recruit but was able to suit up in real games. a practice player perhaps.

Servinio
03-25-2008, 04:58 PM
anyone here knows Norlam Aquino and Allan de Castro both are claimed to play in MBA for Batangas Blades..:confused: :confused: :confused:
These two players NEVER played professionally in the MBA for the Batangas Blades or for any other of the 15 franchises from 1998 to 2002.

However, guard Allan de Castro suited up for Team LBC in the PBL (the Blades' reincarnation when the MBA closed in 2002). He was taken in as one of several Batangas natives on the roster, part of the team's moves to continue the legacy of their community-based days.

The closest that anybody surnamed Aquino got involved with the Blades was when Marlou Aquino attended and participated in one practice at the Meralco Gym during the 2000 preseason. At the time, the 6'9" Aquino was in the middle of a contract dispute with Barangay Ginebra and was exploring his options. He was eventually traded to Santa Lucia Realty before the season began.

Coke_Hero
03-25-2008, 05:04 PM
Whatever happened to Max Delantes and Peter Naron? I know they're old but they could've been team trainers or something. I saw Chito Victolero playing for a league before (though I forgot the name of the league). Where's Chu-Chu Serrano by the way?

Servinio
03-25-2008, 05:52 PM
Whatever happened to Max Delantes and Peter Naron? I know they're old but they could've been team trainers or something. I saw Chito Victolero playing for a league before (though I forgot the name of the league). Where's Chu-Chu Serrano by the way?
Max Delantes (Socsargen, Cebu) is now in the Middle East working as a welder and dabbles as a basketball player during his off-time.

Peter Naron (Cagayan de Oro, Cebu) is still at it to this day playing and sometimes doubling as a coach in minor leagues and town fiestas throughout the Visayas and Mindanao.

Chito Victolero (Manila, San Juan) is currently the assistant coach of San Mig Coffee in the PBL. He has also had a stint with San Beda during their championship run in 2006 as an assistant coach. After the MBA, Victolero played in the PBA for Santa Lucia and Air 21. He also has a thriving tailoring business (Chlomer's) that specializes in athletic uniforms. When he has time, he plays in minor leagues in Metro Manila.

Jonathan Serrano (Manila, Batangas) still played in minor leagues for about a year after the MBA closed until he decided to migrate to the United States.

Phelhiphe
03-26-2008, 05:53 AM
These two players NEVER played professionally in the MBA for the Batangas Blades or for any other of the 15 franchises from 1998 to 2002.

However, guard Allan de Castro suited up for Team LBC in the PBL (the Blades' reincarnation when the MBA closed in 2002). He was taken in as one of several Batangas natives on the roster, part of the team's moves to continue the legacy of their community-based days.

very impressive...i salute you sir....

other names claims to played in MBA working ang play here in Saudi

Joel Esquivel MBA Nueva Ecija Patriots
Arnold Bansil MBA Pampanga Dragons
Andrew Vallejo MBA Pampanga Dragons
Anthony Nabong MBA Pangasinan Waves

Coke_Hero
03-26-2008, 06:41 AM
Jonathan Serrano (Manila, Batangas) still played in minor leagues for about a year after the MBA closed until he decided to migrate to the United States.

Chu-Chu Serrano's really a great PG off the bench. Where'd he play college ball?

Servinio
03-26-2008, 07:37 PM
other names claims to played in MBA working ang play here in Saudi

Joel Esquivel MBA Nueva Ecija Patriots
Arnold Bansil MBA Pampanga Dragons
Andrew Vallejo MBA Pampanga Dragons
Anthony Nabong MBA Pangasinan Waves
A big NO to all the names you mentioned.

However a player surnamed "Bansil" played for the Pampanga Dragons in 1999, 6'3" Billy Bansil. At that time, he just returned from a stint in the Middle East Filipino leagues. In 2000, Bansil transferred to Nueva Ecija and returned to Pampanga in 2002.

Next time, if there are players who claim to have played in the MBA, ask them for their Games and Amusements Board (GAB) license number. If he cannot produce that, he's a fraud even if he submits other evidences.

Servinio
03-26-2008, 07:39 PM
Chu-Chu Serrano's really a great PG off the bench. Where'd he play college ball?
Jonathan Serrano was a varsity star at the University of the Philippines-Diliman. He was recruited from Claret High School in Quezon City.

b3lowzro
03-27-2008, 12:10 AM
Jonathan Serrano was a varsity star at the University of the Philippines-Diliman. He was recruited from Claret High School in Quezon City.

Well UPIS always recruits its players from Claret :mad:, well i guess due to lack of good leagues the players transfers to UP.

Coke_Hero
03-27-2008, 01:54 PM

However a player surnamed "Bansil" played for the Pampanga Dragons in 1999, 6'3" Billy Bansil. At that time, he just returned from a stint in the Middle East Filipino leagues. In 2000, Bansil transferred to Nueva Ecija and returned to Pampanga in 2002.

Next time, if there are players who claim to have played in the MBA, ask them for their Games and Amusements Board (GAB) license number. If he cannot produce that, he's a fraud even if he submits other evidences.

Billy Bansil's a Fil-Am right? I think I still recognize him after all those years.

Servinio
03-27-2008, 04:59 PM
Billy Bansil's a Fil-Am right? I think I still recognize him after all those years.
NO, Billy Bansil is a 100% homegrown Kapampangan out of Lubao, the same hometown of Presidents Diosdado Macapagal and Gloria Arroyo. Bansil studied at the Don Honorio Ventura College of Arts and Trades (DHVCAT).

Bansil's trademark move is his one-handed shot, usually emanating from a post-up spin move.

ankle breaker
03-27-2008, 05:06 PM
mr. servinio, where are mico santos, aldrich reyes and orly alvarado of socsargen marlins playing now? i saw alvarado once when he played for cotabato braves but after that his name no longer seen in the vismin leagues.

Servinio
03-27-2008, 06:17 PM
mr. servinio, where are mico santos, aldrich reyes and orly alvarado of socsargen marlins playing now? i saw alvarado once when he played for cotabato braves but after that his name no longer seen in the vismin leagues.
Aldrich Reyes is now in the United Kingdom with his family. Reyes bounced around the MBA with Socsargen, Negros and Cagayan de Oro. When the MBA closed, he played briefly for M. Lhuillier in Cebu before packing his bags for abroad. Reyes plays in the Filipino community league over there but it is basically recreational level.

Ferdinand Miguel "Mikko" Santos stopped playing competitive ball after the 2000 MBA season. He got an office job since then.

Orly Alvarado was waived after the 1999 season and then made it to the PBL via Montana Pawnshop. Since then, he has played all over the Vis-Min area in minor leagues and town fiestas up to this day.

RetiredJordanStopper
03-27-2008, 09:23 PM
mr. servinio:

.. what's his name the high flying guy from Laguna Lakers with the mismatched colored sneakers? the one they called Flying Carpet or was it Magic Carpet? Did some PBA team signed him up after his stint wiht the MBA?

and oh..did ABS-CBN really encouraged the MBA players, or the more famous ones at least, to do some stuffs for instant recollection and to add charecter? like Morano with his "mula sa puso" tap on the heart / chest area whenever he scores, or that slam dunker to wear that mismatched shoes...???

bolabasket
03-28-2008, 12:33 AM
mr. servinio:

.. what's his name the high flying guy from Laguna Lakers with the mismatched colored sneakers? the one they called Flying Carpet or was it Magic Carpet? Did some PBA team signed him up after his stint wiht the MBA?

and oh..did ABS-CBN really encouraged the MBA players, or the more famous ones at least, to do some stuffs for instant recollection and to add charecter? like Morano with his "mula sa puso" tap on the heart / chest area whenever he scores, or that slam dunker to wear that mismatched shoes...???
Michael Garcia :)

bolabasket
03-28-2008, 12:35 AM

Mr Servino....where's Rolof Liangco now?

thadzonline
03-28-2008, 06:34 AM

I think he was drafted by Alaska, not sure if he made the Final cut

ankle breaker
03-28-2008, 01:49 PM
Aldrich Reyes is now in the United Kingdom with his family. Reyes bounced around the MBA with Socsargen, Negros and Cagayan de Oro. When the MBA closed, he played briefly for M. Lhuillier in Cebu before packing his bags for abroad. Reyes plays in the Filipino community league over there but it is basically recreational level.

Ferdinand Miguel "Mikko" Santos stopped playing competitive ball after the 2000 MBA season. He got an office job since then.

Orly Alvarado was waived after the 1999 season and then made it to the PBL via Montana Pawnshop. Since then, he has played all over the Vis-Min area in minor leagues and town fiestas up to this day.
is mico santos a brother of abs-cbn anchor alex santos? alex was a former play by play commentator in the MBA and if my memory serve it right, he did mentioned that mico is his brother.

Servinio
03-28-2008, 04:44 PM
mr. servinio:

..did ABS-CBN really encouraged the MBA players, or the more famous ones at least, to do some stuffs for instant recollection and to add charecter? like Morano with his "mula sa puso" tap on the heart / chest area whenever he scores, or that slam dunker to wear that mismatched shoes...???
NO, those were spontaneous behavior from the players themselves.

Servinio
03-28-2008, 04:49 PM
I think he was drafted by Alaska, not sure if he made the Final cut
After Michael Garcia did not make the Alaska cut, he furthered his career in the PBL with Blu Detergent for a conference. After that, I believe he tried his luck in the Middle East. I am not sure if he is still there.

Servinio
03-28-2008, 04:51 PM
Mr Servino....where's Rolof Liangco now?
Rolof Liangco is most likely back home in Pampanga and seeing action in local community leagues. The past two years, he was a fixture in minor leagues in Mindanao.

Servinio
03-28-2008, 04:57 PM
is mico santos a brother of abs-cbn anchor alex santos? alex was a former play by play commentator in the MBA and if my memory serve it right, he did mentioned that mico is his brother.
THEY are not brothers, Mikko is from Quezon Province while Alex is from Davao City. By the way, Alex never did play-by-play, he was a courtside reporter.

scoli
03-28-2008, 11:46 PM
Mr Servinio, this may or may not be a MBA related question. But, I would like to know the name of a team supposedly owned by Conchito and Hilaria Bonggot in Kaskag, Surigao City. If in fact their claim to ownership is true what type of team was it?

Coke_Hero
03-29-2008, 12:43 PM
Mr Servinio, this may or may not be a MBA related question. But, I would like to know the name of a team supposedly owned by Conchito and Hilaria Bonggot in Kaskag, Surigao City. If in fact their claim to ownership is true what type of team was it?

The Surigao Miners?

Servinio
03-29-2008, 04:46 PM
NO such team owners existed in the five years of the MBA.

The MBA's Surigao Miners opened shop in 1999 owned by the late Sen. Robert Z. Barbers. Several local businessmen chipped in.

A modern gym was planned to be constructed for the team in Surigao City. In the interim, the team played its home games at the then Urios College (now Fr. Saturnino Urios University) Gym in faraway Butuan City. By the way, the gym was never started.

By 2000, the team was renamed the Surigao Warriors.

Servinio
03-29-2008, 04:51 PM
+

COACH JIMMY MARTIREZ passed away before the recent Holy Week. He was interred last Easter Sunday.

Coach Martirez served as an assistant to Coach Francis Rodriguez at Davao (1998-2000), Socsargen (2001) and Cebu (2002). He was also the long-time varsity coach of the Polytechnic University of the Philippines in Santa Mesa.

Let us all pray for the eternal repose of his soul and for the strength of his surviving relatives and friends.

b3lowzro
03-29-2008, 04:57 PM
+

COACH JIMMY MARTIREZ passed away before the recent Holy Week. He was interred last Easter Sunday.

Coach Martirez served as an assistant to Coach Francis Rodriguez at Davao (1998-2000), Socsargen (2001) and Cebu (2002). He was also the long-time varsity coach of the Polytechnic University of the Philippines in Santa Mesa.

Let us all pray for the eternal repose of his soul and for the strength of his surviving relatives and friends.

condolence to the family.

reamily
03-30-2008, 01:46 AM
Now that studio 23 is broadcasting several classics like the uaap classic and several boxing cards and billiard touranaments showed in abs cbn sports in the past years also they should show some mba greatest game to relive the old mba days of miller,hugnatan,adducul,compton and many others.

Coke_Hero
03-30-2008, 03:42 AM
Now that studio 23 is broadcasting several classics like the uaap classic and several boxing cards and billiard touranaments showed in abs cbn sports in the past years also they should show some mba greatest game to relive the old mba days of miller,hugnatan,adducul,compton and many others.

That's a great idea. I wanna see the Pangasinan Presidents because I've seen this team rarely before.

Servinio
03-30-2008, 07:23 PM
That's a great idea. I wanna see the Pangasinan Presidents because I've seen this team rarely before.
1998 PANGASINAN PRESIDENTS
Victor Oliver AGAPITO
Mario ARENAS
Rensy BAJAR
Ernesto BALLESTEROS
MacDonald DE JOYA
Carlo ESPIRITU
Jose Matthew MAKALINTAL
Richard MELENCIO
Renato MORANO
Ronilo PADILLA
Philip PENULIAR
Ralph Emerson RIVERA
John VELASCO

Notes:
- Ballesteros was their only midseason signing;
- the team had three head coaches -- Edward Vergeire, Orly Bauzon and Robert Sison;
- immediately after the elimination round, Morano went to eventual champion Pampanga;
- before the 1999 season, Bajar and Velasco left for Nueva Ecija, Rivera and Makalintal went to Batangas, de Joya to San Juan and Melencio to Laguna leaving only Agapito, Espiritu, Penuliar, Arenas and Ballesteros;
- Ballesteros was traded after the first game of 1999 to Pampanga for Enrico Gascon. A few games later, Agapito was released to Batangas.

alwin
03-31-2008, 02:57 AM
anyone here knows Dennis Padilla to play in MBA for SOCSARGEN Marlins?

bolabasket
03-31-2008, 07:59 AM
Servinio vs. Quinito Henson....

who's better? :D

Coke_Hero
03-31-2008, 01:31 PM

What college where you from Mr. Servinio?

ankle breaker
03-31-2008, 02:06 PM
+

how is he related to yoyong martirez?

thadzonline
03-31-2008, 02:26 PM

I'll bet for the Red Lion :p:D

Coke_Hero
03-31-2008, 03:15 PM
I'll bet for the Red Lion :p:D

Oh. So Mr. Servinio's from SBC. Sorry Mr. Servinio but I have to support Quinito since he's from DLSU. I hope you have no qualms about my decision. :D

Servinio
03-31-2008, 05:29 PM
anyone here knows Dennis Padilla to play in MBA for SOCSARGEN Marlins?
NO such player ever existed in any of the 16 MBA teams.

The closest matches:
Stephen Padilla (Cebu)
Ronilo Padilla (Pangasinan)
Dennis Madrid (Batangas, Negros)

Servinio
03-31-2008, 05:32 PM
how is he related to yoyong martirez?
The late Coach Jimmy Martirez is the brother of Pasig City Vice Mayor and PBA legend Rosalio "Yoyong" Martirez.

According to his former players, Coach Martirez suffered a stroke and was rushed to the Saint Luke's Hospital in Quezon City. After two days in a coma, he died on Holy Monday (March 17).

Phelhiphe
04-01-2008, 12:08 PM
how about Chandler Donaldson:confused:

RetiredJordanStopper
04-01-2008, 01:29 PM
so Mr. Servinio, who do you think is the best MBA player never to set foot in the PBA?

gambitx
04-01-2008, 01:38 PM
so Mr. Servinio, who do you think is the best MBA player never to set foot in the PBA?

Matt Mitchelle of Cebu Gems?
Jeffrey Flowers of Laguna Lakers?
Cris Clay of Laguna Lakers? (correct me if im wrong but i think he played as an import for Sta. Lucia Realtors)

Coke_Hero
04-01-2008, 02:34 PM
Cris Clay of Laguna Lakers? (correct me if im wrong but i think he played as an import for Sta. Lucia Realtors)

Are they all Fil-Ams or Fil-Shams or neither? If you're saying that Cris Clay once played as an import, then he's a foreigner.

ankle breaker
04-01-2008, 02:40 PM
im for chris clay and matt mitchell. they both have contrasting styles of play. clay is more on the shooting guard with a good athleticism and high leaping ability while mitchell is more on a power player with good defensive stance and short range jumpers. he too is a force to reckon with inside the paint and can rebound with authority. it's so unfortunate that were not able to strut their wares in the PBA. clay being a fil-sham while mitchell, a real fil-am got involve in an off court unpatriotic behavior disrespecting the philippine flag and breaching contract with cebu gems.

Servinio
04-01-2008, 05:00 PM
ALL of the MBA's former MVP and Dream Five winners as well as other post-season awardees have made it to the PBA, albeit with varying levels of success. Hence, it makes it a really tough choice.

I would go for Dave Bautista. The 6'3" power forward out of the Angeles University Foundation averaged almost a double-double in points and rebounds throughout his five-year stint. He was part of the very first MBA champion Pampanga Dragons in 1998 and made the 1998 North All-Star team. Dave actually made a strong case for 1998 Discovery of the Year, only to be edged out by eventual winner Donaldo Hontiveros.

By 2000, he transferred to Nueva Ecija. Bautista was drafted 21st overall by Red Bull in the 2001 PBA Draft but was left unsigned. He then returned to the Patriots. With the Pats disbanding, Dave re-signed with Pampanga in 2002.

Today, Dave has settled down in Canada. Before that, he worked in the Middle East after the MBA suspended operations in 2002.

Servinio
04-01-2008, 05:22 PM
Are they all Fil-Ams or Fil-Shams or neither? If you're saying that Cris Clay once played as an import, then he's a foreigner.
One must understand the circumstances when Christopher Clay suited up as Santa Lucia's import in 2002. At that time Clay was already in a tight bind because he was staging a one-man strike against his MBA team, the Pangasinan Waves, over a contract dispute.

Since he was not being paid, Clay had to seek other options. He could not play as a PBA local because his papers were incomplete and he had to pass through the rookie draft which was still months away. So as a quick fix, he played as an import.

Jeffrey Flowers could have easily qualified for Filipino citizenship since he married a Filipina, former courtside reporter Chiqui Lucindo. Left with waning options after the MBA folded, Jeff took his wife and kids to the United States in 2005.

The case of Matthew Mitchell is one that can be described as a wasted opportunity in the sense that the guy was a legitimate Fil-American. All he had to do was to wait a little longer for his paper work to be approved. Mitchell's middle name is "Gaerlan".

ankle breaker
04-01-2008, 07:54 PM
One must understand the circumstances when Christopher Clay suited up as Santa Lucia's import in 2002. At that time Clay was already in a tight bind because he was staging a one-man strike against his MBA team, the Pangasinan Waves, over a contract dispute.

Since he was not being paid, Clay had to seek other options. He could not play as a PBA local because his papers were incomplete and he had to pass through the rookie draft which was still months away. So as a quick fix, he played as an import.

Jeffrey Flowers could have easily qualified for Filipino citizenship since he married a Filipina, former courtside reporter Chiqui Lucindo. Left with waning options after the MBA folded, Jeff took his wife and kids to the United States in 2005.

The case of Matthew Mitchell is one that can be described as a wasted opportunity in the sense that the guy was a legitimate Fil-American. All he had to do was to wait a little longer for his paper work to be approved. Mitchell's middle name is "Gaerlan".
mr. servinio, if in any case. can chris clay, jeff flowers and matt mitchell can still play in the PBA? i know they are a bit older now but do they still have to undergo the same process like rookie draft, 25 games in amateur level and so on. provided that they can really prove their lineage. they were really wasted talent and could have represented us in the international tourneys.

kerouac82
04-02-2008, 02:50 AM

Then again, wasn't he the same guy who earned the ire of fans when he danced while the national anthem was being played?

ward
04-02-2008, 04:38 AM
Then again, wasn't he the same guy who earned the ire of fans when he danced while the national anthem was being played?

he got the ire of the Cebu officials, the fans didn't give a damn:rolleyes:

Coke_Hero
04-02-2008, 01:01 PM
mr. servinio, if in any case. can chris clay, jeff flowers and matt mitchell can still play in the PBA? i know they are a bit older now but do they still have to undergo the same process like rookie draft, 25 games in amateur level and so on. provided that they can really prove their lineage. they were really wasted talent and could have represented us in the international tourneys.

I think they should fix their papers first. The 25-game clause had been fulfilled when they played in the MBA (I think)

ankle breaker
04-02-2008, 07:09 PM
mitchell and clay are now in the early 30's and i think it's a bit late to put them in the PBA. i think mitchell is quite ok in the mexican league right now.

HoopNightmare
04-03-2008, 08:12 PM
Oh. So Mr. Servinio's from SBC. Sorry Mr. Servinio but I have to support Quinito since he's from DLSU. I hope you have no qualms about my decision. :D

Servinio is from DLSU also. I know the dude. Even though he doesn't talk to me anymore He is still a nice guy. He looked out for me when I was in the Philippines. He is an MBA expert He covered it during its golden years. BUT he doesn't know everything. Especially the truth about Mat Mitchell... .

Coke_Hero
04-04-2008, 01:42 PM
Servinio is from DLSU also. I know the dude. Even though he doesn't talk to me anymore He is still a nice guy. He looked out for me when I was in the Philippines. He is an MBA expert He covered it during its golden years. BUT he doesn't know everything. Especially the truth about Mat Mitchell... .

what is that undiscovered truth Rob? Anyways, someone mentioned that Mr. Servinio's from San Beda...

HoopNightmare
04-04-2008, 07:53 PM
what is that undiscovered truth Rob? Anyways, someone mentioned that Mr. Servinio's from San Beda...

No he is not. He is an Archer!

thadzonline
04-05-2008, 01:58 PM

hmmmm, i really wasnt sure if he was an Archer or Lion...:D maybe I misquoted one of our conversations :p

Coke_Hero
04-05-2008, 02:28 PM
hmmmm, i really wasnt sure if he was an Archer or Lion...:D maybe I misquoted one of our conversations :p

Anyways, what's that undiscovered truth you're mentioning Rob?

C2Hamm
04-05-2008, 04:24 PM
queenito is from UE....

thadzonline
04-06-2008, 03:46 AM
Anyways, what's that undiscovered truth you're mentioning Rob?

Hoopnightmare is JayJay ROBles :p

Coke_Hero
04-06-2008, 05:38 AM

Oh crud. Sorry about that. I've messed up the names. :p

Liga Pilipinas
04-08-2008, 10:51 AM
To the Fans of the MBA,

We know that the league accomplished a lot in its five seasons of existence and will definitely be a tough act to follow.

We vow to give our best effort to at least come close to level of passion and excitement generated by the MBA.

Coke_Hero
04-08-2008, 02:30 PM

I thought he was Robbie Reyes.

kerouac82
04-09-2008, 01:09 AM
I thought he was Robbie Reyes.

Rob Reyes' handle here is RobReyes22.

ankle breaker
04-09-2008, 02:05 PM
Rob Reyes' handle here is RobReyes22.
and he's not replying in this thread too.:D

Servinio
02-08-2010, 01:35 AM
Join Remembering the MBA (1998-2002) (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=56185036430), the Facebook Group for all true fans of the MBA.

In this group you can find a lot of the former MBA players and personalities plus some old photos. Truly a nostalgia trip for the fans, you can call it a veritable MBA on-line museum.

3stars
02-08-2010, 05:04 AM
Join Remembering the MBA (1998-2002) (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=56185036430), the Facebook Group for all true fans of the MBA.

In this group you can find a lot of the former MBA players and personalities plus some old photos. Truly a nostalgia trip for the fans, you can call it a veritable MBA on-line museum.

i will definitely check this out, btw sir since your the go-to-guy for mba stuff ive been wanting to ask this a long time ago.. not a big deal but when i was in highschool there are rumors back then about forming a cavite team for mba.. im not trying to be funny or anything but weve spent a lot of our inuman sessions before talking bout that rumor and possible team monicker..so i just wanna know if theres truth behind the rumor.. :D

Servinio
02-09-2010, 01:12 AM
i will definitely check this out, btw sir since your the go-to-guy for mba stuff ive been wanting to ask this a long time ago.. not a big deal but when i was in highschool there are rumors back then about forming a cavite team for mba.. im not trying to be funny or anything but weve spent a lot of our inuman sessions before talking bout that rumor and possible team monicker..so i just wanna know if theres truth behind the rumor.. :D
I cannot recall exactly as there were a lot of inquiries from all over the Philippines, some were serious while others were not so serious.

Before the MBA's final season in 2002, there were talks for expansion with Olongapo and Baguio being the prime candidates. Of course, the Olongapo Volunteers did materialize while Baguio did not. The entry of other new teams was also stopped by the reactivation of franchises in Pampanga, Cagayan de Oro and Pangasinan.

As far as Cavite is concerned, there may have been an inquiry although it may have not prospered to the next levels of negotiations.

nardy
02-09-2010, 01:44 AM
Anthony,

Aside from Jeffrey Flowers can you recall other MBA Fil-am players who could have married a Filipina or had a child with a Filipina.

I was wondering if any of these Fil-am players have children who are now ripe for our High School teams or our RP Youth teams.

tiburcio
02-09-2010, 01:41 PM
I like the league--its regional thrust. Its revival will be very much welcomed. It folded its mat because of wrong approach on how to cut the cost. Had it foreseen the right route as what Liga Pilipinas is right now doing, it could not have been dissolved.The league was star-studded and in fact many of them made big waves in PBA. It was the league of discovery as many players from provinces revealed their true worth to play in the PBA. In order for it to cut the cost of operation, it should have pocket tournament in key cities until the teams are trimmed to say, sweet sixteen. There's still chance my friends for revival!

PS: The last time I saw Stephen Padilla played in a league was last year when he played for Cebu in Liga Pilipinas. Father Time has already caught on him.

Servinio
02-10-2010, 12:59 AM
Anthony,

Aside from Jeffrey Flowers can you recall other MBA Fil-am players who could have married a Filipina or had a child with a Filipina.

I was wondering if any of these Fil-am players have children who are now ripe for our High School teams or our RP Youth teams.
Aside from Jeffrey, I cannot recall an MBA Fil-foreigner player who married a local lady.

Most of the Fil-Foreigners of the MBA already had wives or girlfriends from abroad who they brought along with them.

By the way, the eldest these kids could be by now is 12 years old since the MBA opened in 1998.

Servinio
10-22-2010, 06:08 PM
LINK: Was this the best collection of MBA All-Stars? (http://servssports.wordpress.com/2010/10/22/the-mbas-dream-team-2001/)

digitalsuperman
10-23-2010, 06:07 AM
just love it when cebu gems faces negros slashers. it was great. cebu coliseum is a sell out. love those days..

aah. i miss those days. i was still in highschool during those days. I always set asside something in my allowance just to save up and watch the game of Cebu Gems... those good old days....

nardy
10-23-2010, 06:57 AM
Aside from Jeffrey, I cannot recall an MBA Fil-foreigner player who married a local lady.

Most of the Fil-Foreigners of the MBA already had wives or girlfriends from abroad who they brought along with them.

By the way, the eldest these kids could be by now is 12 years old since the MBA opened in 1998.

Didn't Alex Compton already got married to a girl from Davao?

capitantiago
10-23-2010, 07:52 AM

yes. he did. alex and michelle got married a few months ago at sonya's garden. :)

SG 3000
10-23-2010, 08:49 AM

well, maybe weeks or months after his posts :)

Silent Killer
10-23-2010, 11:35 AM
i also miss those days... it was exciting every game..

Lebron23
10-23-2010, 02:07 PM
Huge fan of Mad Max Delantes, and Biboy Simon.

c_d
10-23-2010, 05:02 PM
LINK: Was this the best collection of MBA All-Stars? (http://servssports.wordpress.com/2010/10/22/the-mbas-dream-team-2001/)
IMHO, no. It didn't have the likes of Hontiveros and Biboy Simon who could've easily displaced the likes of Jomar Tierra and Ramirez. Arboleda or Willie Miller would've been a better option than Chito Victolero.

nashill
10-24-2010, 04:13 AM
how about having a league with a little similar format as the mba but will lessen the travel expenses

- 4 mindanao teams
- 4 visayan team

- 4 south luzon teams
- 4 north luzon teams

the winner of mindanao/visayas region will meet the luzon winner for the finals

the tournament starts in january until may, to avoid the rainy day season.

neo
10-24-2010, 04:34 AM
IMHO, no. It didn't have the likes of Hontiveros and Biboy Simon who could've easily displaced the likes of Jomar Tierra and Ramirez. Arboleda or Willie Miller would've been a better option than Chito Victolero.

1999 is the best year of the mba, it was the time when they have some really good talents.

excluding proven fil-shams and a foreigner, these are some of "non-pba/has yet to be in the pba" talents then

adducul, crisano and pena at center
ferriols, hatfield and camaso (?) at pf
laure and hontiveros at sf
calaguio and simon at sg
miller, ejercito, and belano at pg

digitalsuperman
10-24-2010, 05:20 AM
I wonder why Liga Pilipinas isn't at the same level at what MBA had before. I used to patronize Cebu Gems but with the Cebu Ninos its like I don't even care.lols.

Silent Killer
10-24-2010, 07:40 AM
my team is always in the playoffs. (Socsargen Marlins and Manila Metrostars)
In fact, Manila owns the RP basketball record for most consecutive wins with 24 straight wins. en route to championship that defeated Dondon hontiveros led Cebu gems. It was fun to see Compton and hontiveros scoring 30+ points every game in the finals. Its like Iverson Versus Carter.

I miss the rivalry of Cebu and Negros. Its like Boston Vs Lakers. If not with MBA, PBA might not discover some provincial talents like hugnatan, ferriols, Padilla. Revive careers of Ravena, Agustin, Quilban. If not for MBA, Laure might not develop his outside shot with Batangas Blades. If not for MBA, Peter June Simon might not discovered by PBL and eventually PBA. Simon Polish his game here in MBA then to PBL and sign as free agent in 2004 by Purefoods.

medji
10-24-2010, 08:39 AM
yeah, remembering the rivalry of Cebu Gems and Negros Slashers!
fans would throw plastic bottles even rocks at the court! :D
cebu didnt won any championship? right?

Silent Killer
10-24-2010, 09:20 AM

ahh miss those games :D

in the brief history of MBA, no Southern conference team won a National Championships. and to add, negros slashers is the version of DLSU in 1990's. a loser in Finals. Negros lost to Pampanga in 98 and in 2001 with Batangas Blades. i forgot who san juan knights defeated in 2000 finals.

Trivia, 2008-2009 PBA MVP JayJay Helterbrand played with Batangas Blades.

capitantiago
10-24-2010, 12:18 PM
Revive careers of Ravena

this is not accurate.
Bong Ravena just came off from a very good season with Purefoods.
He was a vital cog in the 1997 AFC championship run. At season's end, he won the Most Improved Player award.

Silent Killer
10-24-2010, 12:43 PM
this is not accurate.
He was a vital cog in the 1997 AFC championship run. At season's end, he won the Most Improved Player award.

he also played with Pasig Rizal Pirates. i think in 99 or 2000 that he play with Mobiline Phone Pals after playing 2 games with Pasig Pirates to start the season

skadiBOY
10-24-2010, 07:37 PM

i think the interconference tournament, cebu won agains luzon team (manila?)... correct me if i am wrong..

Big Ticket
10-24-2010, 11:32 PM
this is not accurate.

yup, ravena was just offered a lucrative 5-year deal by pasig that he can't refuse...almost the same salary as alvin patrimonio's...

amsm07
10-25-2010, 10:20 AM
my team is always in the playoffs. (Socsargen Marlins and Manila Metrostars)
In fact, Manila owns the RP basketball record for most consecutive wins with 24 straight wins. en route to championship that defeated Dondon hontiveros led Cebu gems. It was fun to see Compton and hontiveros scoring 30+ points every game in the finals. Its like Iverson Versus Carter.

i think at one point they scored 40+ points in one game and they practically cancelled each other out :D Adducul then became the bigger factor for that Manila's win against Cebu.

Silent Killer
10-25-2010, 11:06 AM
i think at one point they scored 40+ points in one game and they practically cancelled each other out :D Adducul then became the bigger factor for that Manila's win against Cebu.

Poor Matt Mitchell :D

saints13
10-25-2010, 01:52 PM
Poor Matt Mitchell :D

poor Adducul too.. he could've been/gotten better if he went to the PBA :(
I was a fan of their SEAG champion squad, he was way way better than Danny I..Danny I could've had the same fate as Adducul's, if he was not pirated* by SMB from the Pangasinan Presidents. :)

ankle breaker
10-25-2010, 05:30 PM
ahh miss those games :D

in the brief history of MBA, no Southern conference team won a National Championships. and to add, negros slashers is the version of DLSU in 1990's. a loser in Finals. Negros lost to Pampanga in 98 and in 2001 with Batangas Blades. i forgot who san juan knights defeated in 2000 finals.

Trivia, 2008-2009 PBA MVP JayJay Helterbrand played with Batangas Blades.

Negros Slashers was the last team to become Champion for the MBA. They won against the Batangas Blades 2002 finals 3-0. They appeared in 4 of the 5 championship series in MBA history. The only year they missed the finals was in the 2nd season wherein it was the cebu gems and manila metrostars disputed the title won by manila.

The san juan knights beat the slashers in 2000 finals 4-2.

Silent Killer
10-26-2010, 07:38 AM
Negros Slashers was the last team to become Champion for the MBA. They won against the Batangas Blades 2002 finals 3-0. They appeared in 4 of the 5 championship series in MBA history. The only year they missed the finals was in the 2nd season wherein it was the cebu gems and manila metrostars disputed the title won by manila.

The san juan knights beat the slashers in 2000 finals 4-2.

Ferriols and hugnatan are always short in winning the national championship. Negros Slashers the last team won a championship but not a national championship. its just their 1st conference.

ricodgame
10-26-2010, 09:53 PM
I wonder why Liga Pilipinas isn't at the same level at what MBA had before. I used to patronize Cebu Gems but with the Cebu Ninos its like I don't even care.lols.

maybe it is not as popular as the MBA before.

I am still hoping for a league like these though. and eventually this they will succeed.

donlyn
10-26-2010, 10:37 PM
maybe it is not as popular as the MBA before.

I am still hoping for a league like these though. and eventually this they will succeed.

ABS CBN over hyped MBA.

Silent Killer
10-27-2010, 09:32 AM
studio 23 receives the good ratings that time..

digitalsuperman
10-27-2010, 09:45 AM
ABS CBN over hyped MBA.

ah thats probably it. ABS-CBN did a great job in marketing the league.thats why it had such a huge following. unlike Liga not much of a marketing has been done.

bhinov
10-27-2010, 02:08 PM
The inaugural champion, the Pampanga Dragons is the best team for me (biased) :D

Silent Killer
10-28-2010, 07:36 AM
The inaugural champion, the Pampanga Dragons is the best team for me (biased) :D

:D kapangpangan my fellow forumer? :rolleyes:

but Manila had 24 straight wins in one season. Not even Crispa, Alaska, SMB, Toyota did what Manila Metrostars did. :) ;)

bhinov
10-28-2010, 08:50 AM
:D kapangpangan my fellow forumer? :rolleyes:

but Manila had 24 straight wins in one season. Not even Crispa, Alaska, SMB, Toyota did what Manila Metrostars did. :) ;)

Yes i am, Cabalen?

I think its only 22 iirc? They may have a 22-game winning streak but still the Pampanga Dragons are the first ever Champions! Bong Alvarez, Ato Morano, and Gherome Ejercito for the win. I'm also a fan of the Gems and Slashers.

Pretty nice to reminisce lmao:D

capitantiago
10-28-2010, 09:03 AM
Yes i am, Cabalen?

I think its only 22 iirc? They may have a 22-game winning streak but still the Pampanga Dragons are the first ever Champions! Bong Alvarez, Ato Morano, and Gherome Ejercito for the win. I'm also a fan of the Gems and Slashers.

Pretty nice to reminisce lmao:D

yes. it's 22.

Manila had two superstars (Adducul and Compton) and had a lot of steady role players.

Silent Killer
10-28-2010, 09:24 AM
yes. it's 22.

Manila had two superstars (Adducul and Compton) and had a lot of steady role players.

i add two hehe sorry for that :p

Manila has a lots of tools. they have slashers, shooters and big man that operates in the paint. they also have defensive player like peter martin who enjoy his professional career in MBA.

capitantiago
10-28-2010, 01:46 PM
i add two hehe sorry for that :p

Manila has a lots of tools. they have slashers, shooters and big man that operates in the paint. they also have defensive player like peter martin who enjoy his professional career in MBA.

and they had A.C. Brown! lol

KevinDurant
10-29-2010, 07:12 AM
the Compton-Adducul pick and roll was unstoppable.:)

I remember Willie Miller twisting his foot during a game at Nueva Ecija, that was nasty!

who can forget the quadruple double game of Felix Belano..

and that man, Chris Clay! he did a 360 dunk in a game..

KevinDurant
10-29-2010, 07:21 AM
yes. he did. alex and michelle got married a few months ago at sonya's garden. :)

michelle who? I thought Alex's fiance was the one with him in that coffee commercial..:D

Silent Killer
10-29-2010, 07:54 AM
and they had A.C. Brown! lol

got to love his game... ;)

KevinDurant
10-29-2010, 07:55 AM
June Longalong was the "man" for the Metrostars!:D

neo
10-29-2010, 01:53 PM
whatever happened to Cid White? (was there an MBA player by that name or im just hallucinating? :rolleyes:)

ankle breaker
10-29-2010, 05:24 PM
whatever happened to Cid White? (was there an MBA player by that name or im just hallucinating? :rolleyes:)

yes, he used to play for the patriots alongside willie miller. he was a decent player who plays SG/SF, around 6'3". i think he also played for the davao eagles with another american, 6'6" chris lafontaine.

Silent Killer
10-30-2010, 11:00 AM
cid white also played with negros slashers..

too sad to olongapo volunteers. they have huge fan base at that time led by dick gordon. full pack crowd every time they play at their turf.

Silent Killer
11-02-2010, 08:44 AM
Former MBA players/Coach that are currently playing or now as Coaches in PBA/NCAA

Air21
Wynne Arboleda - Laguna Lakers

Rain or Shine
John Ferriols - Negros Slashers
Matt Makalintal - Pampanga Dragons

SMB
Dorian Pena - Negros Slashers/Pasig Pirates
Dondon Hontiveros - Cebu Gems
Ato Agustin - Pampanga Dragons
Biboy Ravanes - Socsargen Marlins

Alaska Aces
Topex Robinson
Reynel Hugnatan - Negros Slashers

B-MEG
Rafi Reavis - San Juan Knights
Peter June Simon - Davao Eagles
Rommel Adducul - Manila Metrostars/Batangas Blades/Pangasinan Waves

Barako Bull
Rob Wainright - Cebu Gems
Junel Baculi - Negros Slashers (Head Coach)

BGK
Willie Miller - Nueva Ecija Patriots
JJ Helterbrand - Batangas Blades
Rudy Hatfield - Laguna Lakers
Siot Tanquincen - Pampanga Dragons
Billy Mamaril -

Meralco Bolts
None

Powerade Tigers
Ricky Calimag
Norman Gonzales - Pampanga Dragons
Alex Compton - Manila Metrostars/Batangas Blades
Eddie Laure - Batangas Blades

Talk n Text Phone Pals
Chot Reyes (Pangasinan Presidents/Waves) Head Coach
Nash Racela - Batangas Blades Head Coach

NCAA
Mapua Cardinals
Chito Victolero - Manila Metrostars

Letran Knights
Louie Alas - Manila Metrostars (Head Coach)

capitantiago
11-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Former MBA players/Coach that are currently playing or now as Coaches in PBA/NCAA

Talk n Text Phone Pals
None

you should include Chot Reyes, then with Metroball.

digitalsuperman
11-02-2010, 01:15 PM
chot reyes coached the Pangasinan Waves
and norman gonzales was with Cagayan De Oro Nuggets

tamarawz
11-02-2010, 01:31 PM
topex robinson - olongapo volunteers and san juan knights

Lebron23
11-02-2010, 01:42 PM
Old News Article.

MAJOR CHANGES IN ALL TEAM LINE-UPS, LEAGUE ITSELF IN MBA

Manila, April 1, 2002 (STAR) by Bill Velasco - April 6 is D-Day for the Metropolitan Basketball Association. Not only have their been major changes in the line-ups of all the teams, but the league itself has undergone great change. Chairman Santi Araneta has adopted a new business model for the league to follow, and indications are that the decision to scale back the league’s greatest expenses (travel, satellite transmissions) will benefit the league in the short term.

But, in the end, this will all be gift-wrapping. If the games aren’t exciting, if there is no intensity, and if there are no rivalries and intrigue, will the fans still watch? Let’s check out the league’s main product, the teams themselves, beginning with the north, in no particular order.

LBC-Batangas Blades. There has only been one change in the defending champions: Romel Adducul has left. Having said that, who will fill in the monstrous shoes of the perennial All-Star and one-time MVP? Will the champs become the most accomplished doughnut team in the league?

Coach Nash Racela is pinning his hopes on National University’s Ariel de Castro. The 6-5 rookie injured his right arm three months ago, and is coming along well, but this means that more of the scoring burden will fall back on the shoulders of past MVP Alex Compton (2001 stats: 17 ppg, 5 apg, 88 % FT).

The supporting cast remains rock-solid, if undersized. The same problem will persist: the lack of an able back-up center. But reigning MVP Eddie Laure (15 ppg, 9 rpg), Peter Martin (7 ppg, 10 rpg), Jeff Sanders (10 ppg, 6 rpg), Ralph Rivera (10 ppg), Choo-Choo Serrano and Tonyboy Espinosa provide an otherwise solid rotation. And their combined championship experience dating back to Manila Metrostars days will prove priceless during close games.

Osaka-Pangasinan Waves. On paper, this team has the firepower to win it all. Giving the returning franchise Romel Adducul (15 ppg, 10 rpg, 2 bpg) and Chris Clay (a whopping 30 points and 5 assists per game) was akin to handing coach Lawrence Chongson a loaded double-barreled shotgun. Adducul will definitely go out of his way to prove he not only deserved to be the PBA’s top draft pick, but also improve his stock for next year’s draft. Clay, dubbed "Texas Thunder" for his high-impact style of play, was second only to Jeff Flowers in stats last year.

The bench is impressive, too. Gilbert Castillo (9 ppg, 5 rpg), Vilmer Bañares and Randy Alcantara will help greatly in the frontline, and add their championship experience from the San Juan Knights. Erstwhile Blade Bernard de Guia gives them another option at center or forward, while Iloilo MegaVolt and Nueva Ecija Patriot Francis Aquino (15 ppg) has always been reliable. There is also the team is short on centers. Cagayan de Oro held them to a stalemate two Wednesdays ago, and they play Pangasinan at home on opening day.

Exactly the kind of situation Francis Rodriguez loves.

Cagayan de Oro Amigos. This is Peter Naron’s team. Period. They will live and die with the left-handed forward’s graceful scoring (17 ppg, 6 rpg). New head coach Ycasiano’s debut will be softened by the presence of many veterans. Nueva Ecija team captain Sonny Manucat (10 ppg, 80% FT) adds smarts to the backcourt along with former Pampanga Dragon and Laguna Laker Ruel Bravo and Surigao scoring leader Edwin Pimentel. They’ve also taken in former Manila Metrostar Dino Manuel and Davao center Randy Lopez to shore up the slot.

But the most interesting piece of the Amigos’ puzzle is the strong batch of rookies they’ve collared. NCAA MVP Ernani Epondulan starts at the point, and is joined by a powerhouse neophyte cast of Ricky Calimag, Ariel Capus, Francis Sanz and Derrick Bughao. How quickly they grow up will be the major sticking point for this suddenly young returning franchise.

TPG-Davao Eagles. The last team to put together a line-up for the MBA 2002 season. With a few weeks left before opening day, head coach Bong Go saw how badly the Eagles were stomped in the frontcourt, and has high hopes for his new frontline.

Ateneo-Pioneer’s 6-6 Billy Mamaril will step in at center, backed up by former Cebu Gem, 6-5 Jan Montalbo. How strong this frontcourt will be may determined how far the Eagles go this season.

http://www.newsflash.org/2002/03/sp/sp001865.htm

ejbl
11-02-2010, 05:21 PM
@ Silent Killer

Barako coach Junel Baculi briefly coached the Negros Slashers(before jun noel) and the Olongapo Volunteers.

Silent Killer
11-03-2010, 07:24 AM
@ Silent Killer

Barako coach Junel Baculi briefly coached the Negros Slashers(before jun noel) and the Olongapo Volunteers.

i didnt know that :eek: sorry i will edit it ;)

Servinio
11-11-2010, 02:26 AM
LINK: URBL was the best attempt to revive the MBA since it had a lot of former MBA personalities led by Commissioner Ramon S. Fernandez (http://servssports.wordpress.com/2010/11/11/one-shot-of-urbl/).

nardy
11-11-2010, 02:42 AM
LINK: URBL was the best attempt to revive the MBA since it had a lot of former MBA personalities led by Commissioner Ramon S. Fernandez (http://servssports.wordpress.com/2010/11/11/one-shot-of-urbl/).

Anthony,

off-topic .... any news about the PBL or Liga Pilipinas ? When is the next tournaments for said leagues? Its very sad as a lot of players are currently unemployed.

Alizxa
11-15-2010, 06:41 AM
Daniel Roth Vantage Metropolitan can display second time zone and up to 24 different countries. It has an automatic movement that uses DR700/21 caliber with 42 hours power reserve. There are 26 jewels and a vibration frequency of 28,800 vph.

The case is made of stainless steel and has the signature double-ellipse shape. Its dimension is 41mm x 38mm with 11.7mm thickness. Its sapphire crystal is curved. There are 2 correctors located at 8 and 10 to change Summer/Winter time.

It has a rectangular pusher at 4 that will shift the hour hand for the 24 different time zones that is indicated by the two window displays at 6 and 12. Its water resistance is up to 30m.

The dial is in either silver or pink. It has guilloche pattern depicting sun rays from the center of the dial which also has a stamped world map.

There is an hour ring in the middle portion of the dial. It has luminescent Arabic numerals as well as printed minute track with five-minute graduation.

Its arrow-pointed central hands come in blue steel (silver dial) or pink steel (pink dial). There are two windows above 12 and below 6 which indicates the two locations that are opposite on planisphere.

skadiBOY
11-15-2010, 08:02 AM
jean marc pingris = cebuanna lhullier gems
billy mamaril = davao eagles
reynel hugnatan = negros slashers

Servinio
12-17-2010, 10:14 AM
LINK: Remembering the LBC Batangas Blades (http://servssports.wordpress.com/2010/12/17/ala-eh-champion-na-hari-pa/)

splitzapper
12-19-2010, 11:34 PM
Daniel Roth Vantage Metropolitan can display second time zone and up to 24 different countries. It has an automatic movement that uses DR700/21 caliber with 42 hours power reserve. There are 26 jewels and a vibration frequency of 28,800 vph.

The case is made of stainless steel and has the signature double-ellipse shape. Its dimension is 41mm x 38mm with 11.7mm thickness. Its sapphire crystal is curved. There are 2 correctors located at 8 and 10 to change Summer/Winter time.

It has a rectangular pusher at 4 that will shift the hour hand for the 24 different time zones that is indicated by the two window displays at 6 and 12. Its water resistance is up to 30m.

The dial is in either silver or pink. It has guilloche pattern depicting sun rays from the center of the dial which also has a stamped world map.

There is an hour ring in the middle portion of the dial. It has luminescent Arabic numerals as well as printed minute track with five-minute graduation.

Its arrow-pointed central hands come in blue steel (silver dial) or pink steel (pink dial). There are two windows above 12 and below 6 which indicates the two locations that are opposite on planisphere.

:eek::eek::eek:

michaeljan23
12-22-2010, 10:21 PM
damn i'm nostalgic now.. I remember going home early from my elementary classes, snubbing my classmates who were egging me to play some kind of games after school just to catch Donbel Belano and the Davao Eagles play..:(
Man, I was just seven or eight years old then..
And I could even recall the Eagles' game against Iloilio Megavoltz which the Voltz won and eliminated the Eagles. I was totally in tears that time.:D That's why I never forgot Lou Gatumbato who just recently suited up for the Air21 in the PBA. There were 3 of them actually. Dale Singson and Ronald Magtulis.

Servinio
01-31-2011, 09:23 AM
One of the first activities of the suddenly idle MBA players after the league suspended operations was to play in Indonesia in October, 2002. CLICK HERE. (http://servssports.wordpress.com/2011/01/31/archives-jakarta-diary/)

Servinio
02-07-2011, 01:15 AM
Let us review the last year (or to be more precise, half-year) of the Metropolitan Basketball Association in 2002 as recorded in Weekly Sports Digest. CLICK HERE. (http://servssports.wordpress.com/2011/02/07/archives-the-year-that-wasnt-part-1/) :eek:

digitalsuperman
02-07-2011, 01:45 AM
i wonder where are egay echaves and roy lura is playing now.

budz17
02-07-2011, 08:52 AM
hi guys, which team do you think was the most successful, in terms of basketball success, fan support, team name?

my pick, negros slashers for team name, they were also successful for the whole duration of mba with a lot of fans supporting them and also they had a very entertaining style of play.

I'm biased though, I'm from negros.

also, I think the best series ever in the MBA was between negros and cebu for south conference title in the inaugural season, with negros coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win the the series 4-3, it was just so dramatic.

rocketstar47
04-09-2011, 06:02 AM
Do you remember this

manila metro stars
cebu gems
davao eagles
cagayan de oro nuggts/amigos
iloilo megavoltz/voltz
negros slashers
socsargen marlins
pasig blue/rizal pirates
batangas blades
laguna lakers
pangasinan presidents/waves
san juan knights
surigao warriors/miners
olongapo volounteers
pampanga dragons
nueva ecija patriots

wats ur favorite team?:D

shootingbwakaw
04-09-2011, 07:22 AM
http://www.funnysigns.net/files/bye-gravestone.jpg

MBA

Saskibaloia
04-09-2011, 11:54 PM
Definitely the Pampanga Dragons as my dad's from that region. There was a team in our local Filipino Basketball Competition here in Sydney Australia who were called the Pampanga Dragons. This was back in 2008. All of the lads were from Pampanga or near by provinces such as Tarlac as they would all communicate in Pampangueno. In the finals when they took on my cousin's team I would try to listen to what they were saying, whenever they would shout out instructions, I would then translate and tell my cousin's coach what they were saying. I could understand Pampangueno but I don't know how to speak it, though I wish I did.

seigle42
04-10-2011, 06:02 AM
forget it, we have a D-League

saints13
04-10-2011, 06:15 AM
there was a time when I closely monitored the MBA..so excited about it that I don't even care about the PBA. hehe.

rocketstar47
04-11-2011, 09:14 AM
I Remember the unique rules of this league specially the blitz three and 23 seconds shot clock violation.

bognut
04-11-2011, 09:28 AM

Socsargen Marlins with The 6'1" Power Forward Mad Max Dellantes!

The ultimate Bulldog look-a-like! :D

amsm07
04-12-2011, 12:08 AM
http://www.funnysigns.net/files/bye-gravestone.jpg

MBA

forget it, we have a D-League

i don't get these posts LOL

are these expressions of disinterest or bitterness?:p

i mean the TS was only asking about our memory for this league

i think this league had a big impact against the PBA especially for the audiences outside Metro Manila. i actually felt a point where it became way more popular and the regional rivalry (for good or bad) was exciting and fun to watch.

i remember when i took college in Cebu (i'm originally from CDO), people would flock to the TVs of the food court in the Ayala Mall and watch the Cebu Gems games like the way people would watch the Pacquiao fights.

lovejones
04-12-2011, 12:22 AM
I think the biggest contribution of the MBA to the world of basketball is the 8 second rule for a team to cross the half court line.

For the PBA, I believe it was the use of three referees instead of two in a ballgame.

As far as I know, the Philippines was the first to do these things. JP Mercado or Nardy, kindly correct me if I'm wrong.

silverwing
04-12-2011, 05:22 AM
Actually I dont really understand how MBA died. I like the concept and it has a very good fan base as well. How I wish MBA was successful. I like Pampanga Dragons and Cebu Gems during that time.

Jay P. Mercado
04-12-2011, 05:41 AM
For the PBA, I believe it was the use of three referees instead of two in a ballgame.

That's correct. The Philippine Basketball Association adopted this rule sometime in the 80's when they fielded in a third referee to officiate PBA games. The logic of this new rule was to ensure that all angles would be covered when officiating the games. It was noted that there were certain "blind spots" that the referees couldn't see during the game that was normally missed out. The presence of a third zebra allowed other movement away from the ball to be seen and ultimately called.

Also, elder fans would recall the 25 second shot clock that was implemented by the PBA in lieu of the 30-second shot clock of the amateurs or the 24-second shot clock of the NBA. Many have asked why the PBA opted to use 25 seconds instead of the 24 seconds used by the NBA. The answer was actually technological. The PBA didn't have a shot clock which can function by the second. Instead, their shot clock was dependent based on 5-second increments - meaning that they could only reset the shot clock on the 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30-second, etc. increment.

It's the same reason that when an offensive team runs out the clock, misses a shot with 2 seconds left in their shot clock and they retain possession, the shot clock is reset to 5 seconds instead of retaining the 2 seconds. This rule is definitely disadvantageous to the defensive team as they worked hard on defense to ensure that the offensive team won't be able to make a shot for 23 seconds, only to be given an extra three seconds to make a play.

Hence, when technology finally came in, the league adopted the 24-second rule and the retention of the shot clock for the offensive team. If I'm not mistaken, this happened sometime in the late 90's.

nardy
04-12-2011, 06:41 AM
That's correct. The Philippine Basketball Association adopted this rule sometime in the 80's when they fielded in a third referee to officiate PBA games. The logic of this new rule was to ensure that all angles would be covered when officiating the games. It was noted that there were certain "blind spots" that the referees couldn't see during the game that was normally missed out. The presence of a third zebra allowed other movement away from the ball to be seen and ultimately called.

Also, elder fans would recall the 25 second shot clock that was implemented by the PBA in lieu of the 30-second shot clock of the amateurs or the 24-second shot clock of the NBA. Many have asked why the PBA opted to use 25 seconds instead of the 24 seconds used by the NBA. The answer was actually technological. The PBA didn't have a shot clock which can function by the second. Instead, their shot clock was dependent based on 5-second increments - meaning that they could only reset the shot clock on the 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30-second, etc. increment.

It's the same reason that when an offensive team runs out the clock, misses a shot with 2 seconds left in their shot clock and they retain possession, the shot clock is reset to 5 seconds instead of retaining the 2 seconds. This rule is definitely disadvantageous to the defensive team as they worked hard on defense to ensure that the offensive team won't be able to make a shot for 23 seconds, only to be given an extra three seconds to make a play.

Hence, when technology finally came in, the league adopted the 24-second rule and the retention of the shot clock for the offensive team. If I'm not mistaken, this happened sometime in the late 90's.

good recall Sir Jay.

sergio23
04-12-2011, 06:49 AM
Cagayan de Oro Nuggets/Amigos....:cool:

noilsen
09-26-2011, 05:33 PM
http://www.facebook.com/pages/We-are-back-Team-Pilipinas/115168155207455

Whats this i see that there are talks ongoing? The MBA brand still brings excitement to some people...

budz17
09-26-2011, 06:14 PM
I loved the MBA. one of the classics of the MBA was in the first, during the conference finals between our negros slashers vs cebu gems. we were down 1-3 in the series but we managed to win one game in cebu in game 5 and won the last 2 games in bacolod. along the way, dondon hontiveros talent was noticed as well as john ferriols. they had memorable battles in that series and in the following years.

when the slashers won the first season souther conference champion, they were treated to a motorcade in downtown bacolod then.

sadly the mba disbanded because of rising costs in logistics and also the rising player salaries as the mba tried to compete with the pba for players.

anyway, the only way for this kind of league to prosper is when the country becomes developed and the standard of living rises. I remember some teams representing teams in the provinces but their players were all based and living in Manila and would only come to the provinces during games.

potz05
09-27-2011, 04:06 AM
Manila Metro Stars! Ahahah..

I remembered in my elementary school days in a Journalism conference. I was in the league of sports writers. There was an activity about naming the teams in certain professional and amateur leagues. I was laughing at the other writers at the back of my head as I was the only one who can name all of the MBA teams. :D

Servinio
10-03-2011, 12:44 AM
LINK: Almost ten years after, the spirit of Metroball is very much alive today in 18 gentlemen! (http://servssports.wordpress.com/2011/10/02/still-soldiering/)

capitantiago
10-03-2011, 01:37 AM
Manila Metro Stars! Ahahah..

I remembered in my elementary school days in a Journalism conference. I was in the league of sports writers. There was an activity about naming the teams in certain professional and amateur leagues. I was laughing at the other writers at the back of my head as I was the only one who can name all of the MBA teams. :D

eh di you already! hahaha

capitantiago
10-03-2011, 01:40 AM
LINK: Almost ten years after, the spirit of Metroball is very much alive today in 18 gentlemen! (http://servssports.wordpress.com/2011/10/02/still-soldiering/)

well, sir, you can have done some special mention for Mr. MBA, Alex Compton, being an assistant coach for the Tigers. :)

One lady friend who was with me in Cebu was a big fan of his that she asked me to introduced her to Alex and have a photo. :D

Silent Killer
10-03-2011, 04:01 AM

an MBA reunion game? bring it on. the question will be who will finance this? :rolleyes:

i miss the provincial rivalries especially cebu-negros. every game is a close game. physical as it gets.

My fave team is Manila metrostars because of adducul-compton combination plus im in metropolitan area that's why i choose manila :D my other team is socsargen marlins. well gensan is my province so i support this team.

If only MBA didn't match up with PBA then, MBA is still alive today and we might see some expansion teams like ilocos sur, ilocos norte. Baguio team. Boracay team.

Johnny A
10-03-2011, 04:49 AM
Solid San Juan Knights fan here!!! Jinggoy and his troops were the best.... in picking fights.:D

Silent Killer
10-03-2011, 09:13 AM
Solid San Juan Knights fan here!!! Jinggoy and his troops were the best.... in picking fights.:D

haha
that line up includes

Macky De joya
Rudy Distrito
Chris Calaguio
Bonel Balingit
Gherome Ejercito
Raffy Reavis
Omanzie Rodriguez

rycorpz
10-03-2011, 03:31 PM
haha
that line up includes

Macky De joya
Rudy Distrito
Chris Calaguio
Bonel Balingit
Gherome Ejercito
Raffy Reavis
Omanzie Rodriguez

MBA's version of Jaworski and his Chain gang hahahaha

Cool_Enz
10-16-2011, 06:30 PM
Do you remember this

I'm a Davao Eagles fan having been born and raised in the Durian City. Their homecourt was the Rizal Memorial Colleges Gym, which I often refer to as the "Hell in a Cell" due to its railings and oven-like temperature.

The stars for the Eagles during the MBA's early years were former PBA players Eugene Quilban and Allan Garrido. Felix Belano eventually became the team's franchise player before passing the torch to Peter June Simon.

Other notable players who suited up for the Eagles were Paul Guerrero, Paeng Santos, Jomar Tierra, Jondan Salvador, Cid White and Lou Regidor.

As a Davao fan, I loved the team's rivalry with the Cebu Gems and Negros Slashers in the Southern Conference. :)

capitantiago
10-17-2011, 12:25 PM
I'm a Davao Eagles fan having been born and raised in the Durian City. Their homecourt was the Rizal Memorial Colleges Gym, which I often refer to as the "Hell in a Cell" due to its railings and oven-like temperature.

The stars for the Eagles during the MBA's early years were former PBA players Eugene Quilban and Allan Garrido. Felix Belano eventually became the team's franchise player before passing the torch to Peter June Simon.

Other notable players who suited up for the Eagles were Paul Guerrero, Paeng Santos, Jomar Tierra, Jondan Salvador, Cid White and Lou Regidor.

As a Davao fan, I loved the team's rivalry with the Cebu Gems and Negros Slashers in the Southern Conference. :)

you forgot billy mamaril. :P

Cool_Enz
10-17-2011, 03:08 PM
^ Of course, Mama's Boy did suit up for the Eagles. Although he did so in the final year of the then troubled league.

paolylo
10-18-2011, 01:47 AM
BrpLPy_sQ_E

ssHHnqbK55Y

SVXH6K8ATd4

TLDRDfdv1zA

nrF6pCHMn6s

4IC4ZCvPOWk

ricodgame
11-01-2011, 01:05 PM
I hope basketball bodies will find a way to have this kind of league again.

Pampanga's Best :D

ui9PdAS-PbA

Silent Killer
11-01-2011, 01:22 PM
MBA reunion.. ;)

i miss this league. good rivalries and you'll find good talents over in provinces. Hontiveros, Hugnatan to name a few. La Liga is trying to that.

Lebron23
11-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Thanks for uploading the Videos. The Manila Metrostars and San Juan Knights were my favorite MBA Teams.

Silent Killer
11-01-2011, 01:37 PM
Thanks for uploading the Videos. The Manila Metrostars and San Juan Knights were my favorite MBA Teams.

mine is Manila Metrostars and Socsargen marlins.

Beastly
11-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Asi Taulava; Yup n almost played der.<RT @Komiks12: @mrlava_lava5 do you remember the league MBA?

Lebron23
11-03-2011, 02:08 PM
mine is Manila Metrostars and Socsargen marlins.

By the way here's my All time MBA team.

Starting 5

C- Rommel Adducul
PF - John Ferriols
SF- Eddie Laure
SG- Willie Miller
PG- Alex Compton

Bench

C- Jeffrey Flowers
F- Max Delantes
F- Dondon Hontiveros
SG- Biboy Simon
PG- Gherome Ejercito
SG- Ato Agustin
SF- Chris Clay

Coach: Aric Del Rosario

ricodgame
11-03-2011, 02:59 PM
^ no love for mr. Quadruple Double - DonBel Belano

Lebron23
11-03-2011, 04:17 PM
^ no love for mr. Quadruple Double - DonBel Belano

I forgot about him. I might also include John Edel Cardel, Bong Ravena and Matt Mitchell.

ricodgame
11-03-2011, 09:51 PM
even Peter Naron played well for the CDO Nuggets if I am not mistaken.

Silent Killer
11-04-2011, 02:53 AM
Mine is

C - Matt Mitchell
PF - Adducul
SF - Chris Clay
SG - Hontiveros
PG - Compton

PF/SF - Laure
SG - Biboy Simon
PF - Ferriols
PF - Hatfield
SG - Calaguio
PG - Belano
SG/SF - Peter Naron

very tough choice to be honest but i pick this. :)

digitalsuperman
11-04-2011, 02:59 AM
good old days. had good marketing by abs-cbn for two seasons i guess.

Percival O. Flores
11-04-2011, 07:18 AM
I loved the MBA as a rebel league to the PBA. It had exciting local rivalries like the Cebu Gems versus Manila Metrostars; Cebu Gems vs. Negros Slashers; Pasig-Rizal Blue Pirates vs. San Juan Knights, etc. I just don't like the rule of awading three-points on fast breaks in the last two seasons of the league's existence.

But if he will ever recall, former MBA Commissioner Chito Narvasa still owes me copies of the MBA Annual (if they ever printed that), something that he promised me during the impeachment trial at the Senate in 2000.

Hahaha.

Silent Killer
11-04-2011, 08:04 AM
IF MBA stays some pba free agents can make MBA their training ground to polish skills and some fil-ams that wanted to take residency. It's always nice to watch MBA games.

Percival O. Flores
11-04-2011, 08:08 AM
But isn't that what La Liga seeks to do, a regional league, without the professional tag.

When he was setting up La Liga, Commissioner Noli Eala was quick to say that they will adopt the best features of the MBA while avoiding the circumstances that led to its demise.

The MBA has shown that a regional league is feasible, and La Liga is part of the MBA's legacy.

I hope that La Liga does well in the future.

Silent Killer
11-04-2011, 08:12 AM
But isn't that what La Liga seeks to do, a regional league, without the professional tag.

When he was setting up La Liga, Commissioner Noli Eala was quick to say that they will adopt the best features of the MBA while avoiding the circumstances that led to its demise.

The MBA has shown that a regional league is feasible, and La Liga is part of the MBA's legacy.

I hope that La Liga does well in the future.

the problem is, the network coverage of the said games and it doesn't attract yet audience and some Players from colleges wanted a training ground to hone their skills. La Liga is not their top option.

reamily
11-04-2011, 08:15 AM
Liga is the haven for filipino basketball veterans who are ineligible to the d league and not signed by a pba team..

Liga has a chance to regain its glory thru the pbl liga merger but it did not exceed the expectations raised by the minds behind it

Silent Killer
11-04-2011, 08:17 AM
only few La liga teams participated in the merger between PBL and La Liga.

digitalsuperman
11-04-2011, 08:21 AM
how is liga by the way? i think D-League pretty killed liga since most of the pbl teams transfered to D-League.

Silent Killer
11-04-2011, 08:22 AM
how is liga by the way? i think D-League pretty killed liga since most of the pbl teams transfered to D-League.

no latest news for the moment.

reamily
11-04-2011, 08:23 AM

if the purpose of liga is to reached basketball competitiveness to our province then liga might still be very beneficial for Phil Basketball.. as long as Cebu teams Misor continue to send good teams and the gensan/saranggani team of Cong Pacquiao liga would not have a problem

their calendar should match up to the college league/(pba 3rd conference off season) though (june-october) they can cater the transition players from college to pba

digitalsuperman
03-01-2012, 01:39 PM
MBA Intro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lwoG4XNE_0

digitalsuperman
03-01-2012, 01:43 PM
Hightlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHkqfXHHL3Y&feature=related

digitalsuperman
03-01-2012, 01:47 PM
hightlights 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mps-QlfBc0o&feature=related

Servinio
07-11-2012, 06:41 AM
How did the MBA teams come up with their monikers?

Find out more by clicking HERE (http://servssports.wordpress.com/2012/07/11/archives-whats-in-a-name/), an article from the magazine MBA All-Star published in 1999.

reamily
07-11-2012, 07:01 AM
Unlike wwe, seems like PBA want to bury the legacy of MBA although we can say it do littele in the history of Phil. Basketball because it exist for only 5 years

durden_tyler
07-11-2012, 07:38 AM
Unlike wwe, seems like PBA want to bury the legacy of MBA although we can say it do littele in the history of Phil. Basketball because it exist for only 5 years

What was the legacy of the MBA anyway?

reamily
07-11-2012, 08:39 AM
The things that they made that pba should not do:cool:...

and hell I was a toddler when they start up the league

ariel_muhlach
07-11-2012, 10:48 AM
The things that they made that pba should not do:cool:...

and hell I was a toddler when they start up the league

they paved the way for the entry of the Fil-shams which almost ruined Philippine Basketball.

then the former MBA Commissioner, Butch Antonio and then MBA Chief Director Chot Reyes who both now controls the GILAS 2.0 program.

lovejones
07-12-2012, 02:23 AM

I believe I know one, and it had really wide ramifications. The MBA, to make the game faster, was the first league in the world that reduced the maximum number of seconds to cross the halfcourt line from 10 seconds to 8 seconds.

Years later, the PBA, NBA, and FIBA adopted it.

epic_dream
07-12-2012, 04:45 AM
I believe I know one, and it had really wide ramifications. The MBA, to make the game faster, was the first league in the world that reduced the maximum number of seconds to cross the halfcourt line from 10 seconds to 8 seconds.

how i wish that MBA took down the PBA. sigh..

nardy
07-12-2012, 08:51 AM

they're the league wherein if a player attempting a 3-point shot is fouled and misses is given the option to either shot 3 attempts from the free throw line or 1 attempt from beyond the 3-point arc. I think that's a nice innovation which could be adopted by the other leagues and tournaments in the past. This has more sense than giving a 3-points for every dunk shot.

nardy
07-12-2012, 08:54 AM

logistics-wise, it could work for a land-locked country but its not practical for an archipelago. Travel Costs are just too expensive.

DaveMap2007
07-13-2012, 05:10 AM
logistics-wise, it could work for a land-locked country but its not practical for an archipelago. Travel Costs are just too expensive.

yep its during the infant years of budget airlines...but air travel cost is a lot cheaper today with a mature budget airline industry we have...the main problem would still be the sponsorships, a broadcasting partner and the sound financial aspect for the league.

nardy
07-25-2012, 05:21 PM
http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/367399/3-players-mark-end-of-mba-10-years-ago

3 Players Mark End Of MBA 10 Years Ago
By JONAS TERRADO
July 25, 2012, 10:14pm

The Metropolitan Basketball Association ceased to exist exactly 10 years ago today, but for three players, the league, known by its acronym MBA, was the best thing that ever happened to their basketball careers.

The MBA was established in 2002 as a rival to the Philippine Basketball Association and was backed up by the resources of broadcast giant ABS-CBN. It was envisioned to be composed of teams from major cities and provinces which will play their games in a home-and-away format to generate intense fan loyalty.

For a while, it was successful as provincial gyms and stadiums were filled to capacity. In the end, the huge salaries of the players which matched those of some stars of the PBA, and the lack of deep pockets among team owners to sustain its development eventually caused its demise.

But for Alex Compton, Rommel Adducul and Dondon Hontiveros who became the poster boys of the league, the MBA was an unforgettable experience, a league that was good while it lasted, which was five years.

"Para sa akin, sobrang blessing ang MBA," recalled Compton, now an assistant coach of Powerade. "It gave me a chance to play basketball in the Philippines and I was so fortunate to stay my whole life here at asawa ko ay Pinay so kung walang MBA di ako makakapunta dito sa Pilipinas."

Compton, an American who was born in Makati, teamed up with Adducul to lead the Manila Metrostars to the 1999 National Championship.

In 2001, Manila merged with the Batangas Blades and won the crown.

"Kung tinuloy pa sana yung MBA marami siyang matutulungan na mga players," said Adducul, who recently completed his ninth PBA season with Powerade. "Yung mga sumikat dun eventually nabigyan ng chance na makapaglaro sa PBA.

Hontiveros was perhaps the league's biggest discovery as he starred with the Cebu Gems in 1999. He played two seasons for the league before jumping to the PBA

"Masasabi ko na yun ang highlight ng career ko," said Hontiveros, who is now with Petron. "Magandang nangyari sa akin yung MBA dahil dun ako nakilala at nakalaro pa ako for my hometown. Best two years ng buhay ko yung time ko dun."

Asked about the reasons for the MBA's failure, Adducul and Hontiveros agreed on the one big factor – money.

"Bottomline talaga yung pera," said Adducul, who played from the start until the final days of the league. "Nagkaroon ng mga matataas na salaries yung mga players and yung mga players ng ibang teams nade-delay yung sweldo nila."

"With regards naman sa team ko maganda yung support ng management," said Hontiveros, who in 2000 was signed by Tanduay as a direct hire. "Di ko maisip na mag-fofold pero may naririnig din akong players from other teams na nadedelay ang sweldo tapos may nagsusubsidize na sa mga ibang teams kaya siguro naisip ko na rin lumipat ng PBA."

While Compton agrees, he did somehow defend the owners, saying: "I think there was a couple of years before they shut down that they were losing money but they were doing it for the passion and for some to invest that much, they shouldn't be criticized but (the people) should be thankful that they kept it for as long as they did."

Lebron23
09-24-2013, 06:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mps-QlfBc0o

Lots of great dunks and highlights in this league. This year marks the 15th anniversary of the defunct MBA.

Silent Killer
09-24-2013, 06:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mps-QlfBc0o

Lots of great dunks and highlights in this league. This year marks the 15th anniversary of the defunct MBA.

Its nice to reminisce about this league.. Good short memories for this league. It might be the league that some college players will play 1st for seasoning.

Relentless
09-24-2013, 06:40 PM

I think it would have been actually great if the PBA and MBA merged. I mean the teams could have been a commercial-regional merger wherein a city would be the host or "home" of a commercial team. Example Pasig-San Miguel Beermen. Teams could have used their "regional jerseys" for home games and their "commercial" jerseys for their away games. That would have been nice. What actually happened was the PBA absorbed the MBA players.

kuo24
09-25-2013, 10:10 AM
Yep. It's much better to cheer for your hometown city rather than your favorite milk. With cheaper airline fares, maybe MBA is an idea worth revisiting a few years from now.