How our NT fairs against our Asian Counterparts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How our NT fairs against our Asian Counterparts

Hi... I decided to start a thread concerning our strengths and weaknesses against our Asian rivals. Let's start off with:

Chinese Taipei:
    I honestly believe that this team is a rather easy opponent. Last I remember, they have never beaten our TRUE National team nor have they beaten us in any tournaments other than Jones Cup.

Korea:
    Let me see... Yes, I think they are not that formidable as they were back in the 90s. The only threat they have against us is Ha-Seung Jin but other than that, nothing else. Unlike their previoius NT lineups, their players today aren't much of a threat when it comes to 3 pt. shooting. You may have noticed that Koreans aren't really tall beings so their centers are no bigger than ours.

Iran:
    They have a 7-footer but he doesn't scare us. Last I checked, Hamed Ehadadi was hardly an offensive factor against the Philippines. Most points came from the Bahrami brothers and Kamrany. I think we match up against Iran much better than Kazakhstan. If it weren't for our bad FG shooting during the first day of FIBA Asia 2007, we would've beaten them.

Japan:
    Nah!! These guys aren't really threat. Their play is similar to ours, Run and Gun.

Lebanon:
    No Comment for now since they will probably come up with a new line-up due to the fact that many of their players are aging. Other than that, let's hope Fadi El-Khatib didn't gain twice as much skill than he has right now.

Jordan:
    We lost to them twice.. yes but only because they had a naturalized player. Last I checked, their un-naturalized PGs were hardly a factor as it was Rasheim Wright all the way till the end. I think we will have our vengeance against them soon enough. On second thought, we already did; Our Sea Games Team (Made up of Amateurs and former Pros) toyed with their so-called Jordan All-stars team during the Brunei CUp.

Qatar:
    I don't think they'll have a new line-up by 2009 except for their coach. As I've observed, their guards were obviously no match for ours and their centers contributed most of the points. The reason they were able to make a run last time is because we only had one center fending against their centers (I think Coach Reyes did that on purpose). Additionally, they are prone to TO; with our specialty in Full Court Press, I think this team is an easy prey for us.

GUys... add some more info. Sorry for some wrong grammars, I'm really lazy to edit.
    GILAS WISHLIST:
    6'8 Pingris

I'm neither a scout nor palm reader...but we are looking good right now. with the recent youth, women's and U21, U18 and etc movement in RP basketball we will be competitive.

Can't wait for the next FIBA sanctioned games to start.

Comment

Chinese-Taipei: (Average Height 191 cms/6'3")

Always a perennial darkorse, with an average height of 191cm/6'3, with a couple of 6-foot-8's and great perimeter shooters will always be formidable but not good enough to knock off the top 4 asian powerhouses. They can't beat RP in full strenght.

South Koreans: (Average Height 195 cms/6'5'')

We have suffered a lot of heartbreaks, disappointments which apprarently this team seemed to have our card. It would have proved interesting if the last RP team qualified to the next round of the 2007 FIBA-Asia Championships, vengence could have been sweet. But never discount this team yet, they're still adjusting to the inclusion of the 22 year old Seung Jin, the 223 cm/7'4" center which by the way is more like a liability than an asset that slowed them down. The South Koreans have an incredible distinction of beating China in the finals of so many Asian championship for several decades now. Philippines likewise did the same and the last were the mighty Persians (Iran). The South Koreans will always be a title contender. Evenly match against RP, the odds ? the breaks will be a deciding factor.

Japan: (Average Height: 195cms/6'5'')

Nothing much from the Land of the Rising Sun, only JR Sakuragi. They got beaten by Chinese-Taipei in the last 2007 FIBA-Asia championships and not much to show for the future, the odds of beating RP ? not a chance.

Iran: (Average Height: 200cms/6'7")

This reigning Asian champion is relatively young expect them to become more formidable in the years to come. They have an enviable basketball program which focuses in the continuity of youth development allowing a smooth transition of their young players to their seniors team. Allow me to requote Chot's comments " we know how to beat them and they know how to beat us" (similarly to that effect). Unfortunately, they got lucky, last time. Odds ? 60/40 in RP's favor.

Lebanon: (Average Height 198 cms/6'7")

El Khatib is aging and so is Vogel, the most senior on the team. Honestly, I have no idea what the future beholds this team. What I can say is, RP and Lebanon share a common respect when facing each other. They beat us before and we beat them just the same. Let's wait for daniab to comment on this and shed some light of their chances...

Jordan: (Average Height 198 cms/6'6")

Rasheim Wright will still be around for a couple of more years, expect them to strenghten their ranks in the years to come. Odds: RP can still beat them.

About Qatar, I don't expect them to make an impact nor be a contender, the Kazakhstan are more formidable and had beaten the Philippines before and we are always in the dark whenever we face them.

China Team A, will always be the favorite.

Allow me to talk about a little bit of India. It makes me wonder why this country don't utilize their foreign born nationals as basketball talents. And to think that here in Canada, I see a lot of young talented Indo-Canadian kids gifted with height, more likely of national player materials. I guess this one needs to be kept in secret.....
      Last edited by dreamwalker; 01-12-2008, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dreamwalker
        Chinese-Taipei: (Average Height 191 cms/6'3")

Always a perennial darkorse, with an average height of 191cm/6'3, with a couple of 6-foot-8's and great perimeter shooters will always be formidable but not good enough to knock off the top 4 asian powerhouses. They can't beat RP in full strenght.
        CT still has Tien Lei to go with thwir twin towers, plus sharpshooter Jae and 6'5 Chen who has a very american game..but yeah, we're still better than them

South Koreans: (Average Height 195 cms/6'5'')

We have suffered a lot of heartbreaks, disappointments which apprarently this team seemed to have our card. It would have proved interesting if the last RP team qualified to the next round of the 2007 FIBA-Asia Championships, vengence could have been sweet. But never discount this team yet, they're still adjusting to the inclusion of the 22 year old Seung Jin, the 223 cm/7'4" center which by the way is more like a liability than an asset that slowed them down. The South Koreans have an incredible distinction of beating China in the finals of so many Asian championship for several decades now. Philippines likewise did the same and the last were the mighty Persians (Iran). The South Koreans will always be a title contender. Evenly match against RP, the odds ? the breaks will be a deciding factor.
        I'll put SK a notch above Pilipinas with the talents they have at their disposal right now...

SK is now reaping the benefits of its rebuilding a couple of years back. Aside from ex-NBA'er, 7'3 Han Seung Jin, they have some upcoming talent like the US trained and schooled 19 y.o. Julian Kim aka Kim Jin Soo, who saw action for Team Korea against USA last 2006. He's a top HS prospect and is widely recruited and may play for the Univ. Of Maryland Terrapins, a top Div 1 school.
        They are backstopped by their sharpshooters led by 6'5 Bang and its veteran bigman Kim.

Japan: (Average Height: 195cms/6'5'')

Nothing much from the Land of the Rising Sun, only JR Sakuragi. They got beaten by Chinese-Taipei in the last 2007 FIBA-Asia championships and not much to show for the future, the odds of beating RP ? not a chance.
        Oh, but Japan has a lot to offer aside from the naturalized JR Sakuragi formerly Henderson. They have the Mark Caguioa clone Kei Igarashi and more importantly, the 22 y.o. 6'9 Tekeuchi Twins, Joji and Kosuke, both mobile and have a better than average basketball IQ.... and speaking of IQ, they still have the venerable Ken Sato, Japan's version of Jaworski..so dont count Japan out just yet...

Iran: (Average Height: 200cms/6'7")

This reigning Asian champion is relatively young expect them to become more formidable in the years to come. They have an enviable basketball program which focuses in the continuity of youth development allowing a smooth transition of their young players to their seniors team. Allow me to requote Chot's comments " we know how to beat them and they know how to beat us" (similarly to that effect). Unfortunately, they got lucky, last time. Odds ? 60/40 in RP's favor.
        Iran's basketball program may be the soundest in Asia outside of China, and if we must model our program to our rivals, i hope it'll be Iran's.

Iran has size and youth in its side, and now, they also have experience,and even with the death of its best player, 6'7 Nikkah Bahrami (better than Danny Seigle)... those 3 factors make them still head above Pilipinas...

Lebanon: (Average Height 198 cms/6'7")

El Khatib is aging and so is Vogel, the most senior on the team. Honestly, I have no idea what the future beholds this team. What I can say is, RP and Lebanon share a common respect when facing each other. They beat us before and we beat them just the same. Let's wait for daniab to comment on this and shed some light of their chances...

Most passionate basketball country outside of the Philippines, and they have the best Asian player not named Yao Ming, those two reasons make them dangerous and they have the all the means to beat Pilipinas any given night.

Jordan: (Average Height 198 cms/6'6")

Rasheim Wright will still be around for a couple of more years, expect them to strenghten their ranks in the years to come. Odds: RP can still beat them.
        Size of its bigs and Wright were the main reasons why they beat us, and we're still yet to win against them. Enough to conclude that their still better than us...now.

About Qatar, I don't expect them to make an impact nor be a contender, the Kazakhstan are more formidable and had beaten the Philippines before and we are always in the dark whenever we face them.
        Always a mystery, let's just wait how will they'll going to spend those oil money luring talented athletes out of Africa. Still, i put them below Pilipinas.

China Team A, will always be the favorite.
        We need to play perfect to beat this guys...

Allow me to talk about a little bit of India. It makes me wonder why this country don't utilize their foreign born nationals as basketball talents. And to think that here in Canada, I see a lot of young talented Indo-Canadian kids gifted with height, more likely of national player materials. I guess this one needs to be kept in secret.....
        those 500 million plus indian kids are playing cricket and field hockey, good for us :-)
        <--- science always wins over bullshit --->

Comment

El Khatib is aging and so is Vogel, the most senior on the team. Honestly, I have no idea what the future beholds this team. What I can say is, RP and Lebanon share a common respect when facing each other. They beat us before and we beat them just the same. Let's wait for daniab to comment on this and shed some light of their chances
          Well,i don't think el khatib is too aging,he still can play for 2 or 3 years with Leb NT,he's 29 years old.Maybe Vogel,this year will be the last for him with Leb NT.The common situation btw Lebanon and Rp is the"Heights",both countries are facing this problem,specially that many asian countries have the tallest players in the World like Iran(Hadadi and Rozbahani),China(Yao Ming and so many others),Syria( a 217 cm guy only 17 years old),Korea(with HA Seung jin),Japan.....
          Maybe the solution will be in naturalizing a player on this position.
          Cheers.
          Proud to be Lebanese
          www.arabasket.com

Comment

ssshhh....keep quiet or else they'll be an Iran in the making. W e have more than enough of formidable foes right now. There's no room for another one......

Comment

Here are some of my blogs regarding the results of our 2007 RP NT games against some of the other countries in Asia:

* 2007 Jones Cup Tournament

* 2007 FIBA-Asia Tournament

* 2007 Manila Invitational Tournament
              Philippine Football News on Facebook

rhk111's Military and Arms Page

Comment

not very good considering the most recent performance of our RP NT in the Jones Cup and FIBA Asia qualifiers. Other asian teams have caught up and in some areas surpassed us in terms of skills and talent..One bright spot though, our players at the smaller positions are still superior talentwise against asian teams.

Comment

In my humble opinion, i believe that it could be anybodys ball game now, many asian teams in asia has what it takes. iran, the defending champs arent that invinsible and i am starting to believe that china team A isnt that invinsible too.

possible contenders:
                  Lebanon - if they get to keep the core of their lineup and bring in some new competetive players.

Iran - they are the defending champs and they have the strength, height and firepower in their lineup

Jordan - with their athletic big men and their naturalized player.

China - ofcourse

Japan - with their experience in the world basketball scene, and their naturalized player and if they play their cards right.

S. Korea - they still have the fire power, and a new breed of big men.

Qatar - if they are still into cheating(if its true) and still gets away with it.

RP team - ??

Comment

Don't judge the team for just a couple of games. Remember this is the first major international tournament that we've joined since being suspended for two years. Other countries have been there for 3-4 years competing internationally. And add to that, after being suspended, the 1st tournament happened to be the Olympic Qualifier so the pressure was really there. Give them time, maybe after the Asian Games we'll be ready. As for now, that 9th Place finish is good enough for a team that was assembled a couple of years behind it's opponents. We just did fair during the FIBA-Asia tournament. I hate it when people have high expectations from the team and mock them after losing just two games. Take note, we lost just two games...hope to see you in the World Basketball Championships on 2010.
                    ROCK ON PHILIPPINES!

Comment

here comes the couch experts again
                      japan not a threat? did you just missed the last time this two team meet? coz you probably didnt watch the game where we lost!
                      jordan got lucky coz of the naturalise player? what a lame excuse!
                      we lost coz were not the better team...PERIOD!
                      and lebanon..cmon when are you guys going to give this team due respect?
                      this guys earned it...
                      while WE are still the sentimental favourite everytime theres a basketball meet...
                      WE are just that...SENTIMENTAL...nothing more nothing less...

Comment

Originally posted by VII
                        japan not a threat? did you just missed the last time this two team meet? coz you probably didnt watch the game where we lost!
                        this guys earned it...
                        while WE are still the sentimental favourite everytime theres a basketball meet...
                        Huhuhu...

Comment

Originally posted by VII
                          this guys earned it...
                          I couldnt agree more with this person's opinion, the RP team hasnt been in the top 8 for the last 20 years. And all of you guys keeps on bragging on this international forum that we will beat our asian counterparts in the tourney. We cant even win big games in the actual tourney. Don't be over confident 'cause the ball is round and games are won in bball court not here in IBN forums. yes BAP-SBP has been making steps on improving the national team still its a long way to go thru.
                          you know why I am happy

Comment

IMHO, right now Phil. NT doesn't stand a chance on those teams you mentioned except for chinese taipei however they are not an easy opponent. Most of the asian nations (except for ASEAN members) are slowly pulling away from us in terms of basketball.
                            "There are only three kinds of mathematicians: those who can count, and those who can not."

Ana "The Hurricane" Julaton - 1st Filipino Female Boxer Double Word Champion.

Comment

Yeah that's what I keep on saying, we need time. It's not that we can beat them right away but you know that we can beat them. Did you expect Korea to beat China in Busan? All we need to do is to support the team because it's also your team instead of mocking them. If you give 2 years of competitive tourney to our NT and have the others suspended for 2 years w/o international exposure and let them play in FIBA-Asia, what do you think will happen? We're not being experts here, (maybe some) but do you think mocking the team and criticizing them will make them a better one? C'mon......
                              ROCK ON PHILIPPINES!

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information