PBA's greatest filam/draftee of all time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PBA's greatest filam/draftee of all time

anybody who knew a player just like the one described in the title can post a reply.
    "There are only three kinds of mathematicians: those who can count, and those who can not."

Ana "The Hurricane" Julaton - 1st Filipino Female Boxer Double Word Champion.

BASED ON the thread title, all players who entered the PBA before 1985 are disqualified since there was no draft system in place.
    Ex. Ricardo Brown, William Pearson

Also, those Fil-Ams who were part of the direct-hire policy of 1999 and those who were signed out of the old Metropolitan Basketball Association (MBA) are disqualified.
    Ex. Asi Taulava, Dan Seigle, Michael Pennisi, Alvarado Segova, James Wallkvist, Alex Crisano, Robert Wainwright, Rudy Hatfield, Anthony Helterbrand

Finally, those who were directly elevated as part of an expansion team (Tanduay, Red Bull, Welcoat) are not included in this discussion.
    Ex. Eric Menk, Davon Harp
    Servinio's FACEBOOK Fan Club
    Servinio's Blog of Sports
    Servinio's Official YouTube channel
    Servinio's Official TWITTER account
    Servinio's Official Instagram account

Comment

Originally posted by Servinio
      BASED ON the thread title, all players who entered the PBA before 1985 are disqualified since there was no draft system in place.
      Ex. Ricardo Brown, William Pearson

Also, those Fil-Ams who were part of the direct-hire policy of 1999 and those who were signed out of the old Metropolitan Basketball Association (MBA) are disqualified.
      Ex. Asi Taulava, Dan Seigle, Michael Pennisi, Alvarado Segova, James Wallkvist, Alex Crisano, Robert Wainwright, Rudy Hatfield, Anthony Helterbrand

Finally, those who were directly elevated as part of an expansion team (Tanduay, Red Bull, Welcoat) are not included in this discussion.
      Ex. Eric Menk, Davon Harp

So technically, there's none ?

Comment

That Leaves Sonny Alvarado, peek, belasco, jackson, Caguioa, alapag, reavis etc.

Di na ganoon kaganda /Not that good anymore

Comment

Fil-ams were drafted

Migs Noble
          Jimmy Alapag
          Kelly Williams
          Andy Seigle
          Nic Belasco
          Jeffrey Cariaso
          Joe DeVance
          Harvey Carey
          Mike Hrabak
          Brandon Cablay
          Sonny Thoss
          David Friedhof
          Chris Jackson
          Dwight Lago
          Elmer Lago
          Tony Dela Cruz
          John Arigo
          Ali Peek
          Rafi Reavis

Take your pick on whose the best Drafted Fil-am of all time.
          Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Killer
            Fil-ams were drafted

Migs Noble
            Jimmy Alapag
            Kelly Williams
            Andy Seigle
            Nic Belasco
            Jeffrey Cariaso
            Joe DeVance
            Harvey Carey
            Mike Hrabak
            Brandon Cablay
            Sonny Thoss
            David Friedhof
            Chris Jackson
            Dwight Lago
            Elmer Lago
            Tony Dela Cruz
            John Arigo
            Ali Peek
            Rafi Reavis

Take your pick on whose the best Drafted Fil-am of all time.

None of the above, neither of them can be considered MVP materials just yet nor worthy to be called one of the best Fil-Ams to play the game, not for now though.

PBA's greatest Fil-Am draftee(s) of all time ? The word "draftee" is somewhat irrelevant don't you think ?

But for the question the PBA's greatest Fil-Am ever (to play the game), my vote goes to Ricardo "The Quick Brown Fox" Brown, followed closely by Paul Asi Taulava, although I still doubt his ancestry, but for what he did for flag and country, playing for the Philippines, he's my second best yet ever.
            Last edited by dreamwalker; 01-06-2008, 02:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dreamwalker
              None of the above, neither of them can be considered MVP materials just yet nor worthy to be called one of the best Fil-Ams to play the game, not for now though.

PBA's greatest Fil-Am draftee(s) of all time ? The word "draftee" is somewhat irrelevant don't you think ?

But for the question the PBA's greatest Fil-Am ever (to play the game), my vote goes to Ricardo "The Quick Brown Fox" Brown, followed closely by Paul Asi Taulava, although I still doubt his ancestry, but for what he did for flag and country, playing for the Philippines, he's my second best yet ever.
              i agree with you since we have the same choice. actually the use of the word draftee is for us to set insights on fil-am players who were virtually unknown before they were drafted and got to play in the PBA and made a sudden impact.
              "There are only three kinds of mathematicians: those who can count, and those who can not."

Comment

Originally posted by ankle breaker
                i agree with you since we have the same choice. actually the use of the word draftee is for us to set insights on fil-am players who were virtually unknown before they were drafted and got to play in the PBA and made a sudden impact.
                In that case, my answer is still nobody just yet from the list given by Silent Killer, but only one guy comes into my mind a player-in-waiting to be drafted and his name is GABRIEL DANIEL NORWOOD.

Comment

Originally posted by dreamwalker
                  I beg to disagree but Kelly Williams has been pouring in points to make Sta Lucia Reality a real contender in the post season of this conference. And about Gabe? he's more of a role player rather than real scorer, yes he scores big games but not consistently compared to Williams.
                  you know why I am happy

Comment

i can't recall of a fil-am that was virtually unknown before setting his foot in the PBA and made an impact other than Mark Caguioa. Caguioa was a nobody in 2001, as a virtual unknown in Philippine basketball scene, he was drafted by the Barangay Ginebra Kings as the 3rd overall pick. Expectations were not high as Caguioa started as role player and reliever to Vergel Meneses. However, after showing strong performances and leading the Kings to the All-Filipino finals, he became very popular. With his killer cross-overs, slashing drives to the basket, and penchant for making clutch plays, Caguioa earned the respect and admiration of Filipino basketball fans. His exciting brand of play earned him the monicker "The Spark". At the end of the season, Caguioa is the 3rd Ginebra player since Dondon Ampalayo in 1986 and Marlou Aquino in 1996 to win the Rookie of the Year award.

Comment

i can't recall of a fil-am that was virtually unknown before setting his foot in the PBA and made an impact other than Mark Caguioa. Caguioa was a nobody in 2001, as a virtual unknown in Philippine basketball scene, he was drafted by the Barangay Ginebra Kings as the 3rd overall pick. Expectations were not high as Caguioa started as role player and reliever to Vergel Meneses. However, after showing strong performances and leading the Kings to the All-Filipino finals, he became very popular. With his killer cross-overs, slashing drives to the basket, and penchant for making clutch plays, Caguioa earned the respect and admiration of Filipino basketball fans. His exciting brand of play earned him the monicker "The Spark".
                      I remember during Draft Day 2001, Mark Caguioa was one of the early birds and was seen pacing the floor of the empty Glorietta Activity Center by his lonesome. His manager then, the late Chiqui dela Rosa, introduced me to him and said "Marunong mag Tagalog yan (He can speak Filipino)." Caguioa stood out from the rest of the draftees with his dyed hair.

Word on the floor that day was Mobiline was trying to strike a deal to move up in the drafting order. Apparently, Coach Louie Alas got word of how good Caguioa was.

Red Bull was sold on making MBA superstar Willie Miller of the Nueva Ecija Patriots the top pick. Shell picked next and got Michael Hrabak. The Mobiline table then prayed for Ginebra to pick another highly-touted Fil-Am in John Arigo.

Much to their dismay, Ginebra bagged Caguioa and the rest is history. Mobiline decided to get an Alas disciple, Gilbert Demape, with the fourth pick.
                      At the end of the season, Caguioa is the 3rd Ginebra player since Dondon Ampalayo in 1986 and Marlou Aquino in 1996 to win the Rookie of the Year award.
                      Willy Generalao (Gilbey's Gin, 1980)
                      Servinio's FACEBOOK Fan Club
                      Servinio's Blog of Sports
                      Servinio's Official YouTube channel
                      Servinio's Official TWITTER account
                      Servinio's Official Instagram account

Comment

It will be Asi Taulava, Eric Menk, Danny Seigle, Jimmy Alapag and Mark Caguioa.. Thats my top 5 greatest Fil-Ams...

Comment

I think Danny Seigle was not drafted. He was direct-hire Fil-Am sometime in 1998 I think. I'll vote for Mark Caguioa as the most best-kept secret in the history of the PBA draft.
                          SMART GILAS: all the way

Comment

Originally posted by bolabasket
                            I think Danny Seigle was not drafted. He was direct-hire Fil-Am sometime in 1998 I think. I'll vote for Mark Caguioa as the most best-kept secret in the history of the PBA draft.
                            indeed he's the top steal of the draft
                            you know why I am happy

Comment

Danny Seigle was Drafted i forget what Year... I think it was the same Year Tanduay move to the PBA from the PBL... Erick Menk is the one not Drafted bcoz he is one of the Tanduay player elavated to the PBA when Tanduay went to the PBA in 1998 I think?? not sure...

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information