Tired Of Monickers That Dont Fit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tired Of Monickers That Dont Fit

Nino "KG" Canaleta-He doesn't play half like him and hell doesn't look like him either.sorry fans.

K Ray Kerby Raymundo-I don't know if i would laugh or cry with this one.I know the NBA K Mart but K Ray?Nah.. I hope they are not serious on this one.let's have some real identity.

Ali "the mountain" Peek-at six foot three doesn't seem like a mountain for me..more like the hills.

I hope the tv announcers would do a better job next time.
    "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Nino "KG"Canaleta-He doesn't play half like him and hell doesn't look like him either

It's NiƱo's face not the moves. And KG is actually his Idol. It's not a big deal. Ali Peek...Mountain man...the monicker was not given because of height but because of how he control the boards. Being somewhat" physical" in his games. K-ray? Is it really a Big Deal? MOnickers are just nicknames. It's not the Moves, the face. It's just "Part of it". Like my neighbor who looks like Shrek. lol...No big deal...
    EVERY DUNKS COUNTS AS FOUR!!!

Comment

monickers add flavors to the tounge of the coverage, well, somehow you're correct, there are monickers that don't fit the player's character but later on we'll get used to those names. peace out. btw, I've never heard of the K-Ray, sounds interesting..hehehe
      It's ironic to see limited efforts from players with maximum salary.
      I wish they would apply "sabermetrics" in those financially challenged PBA teams to acquire players who are value for their money.

Comment

For me, the monickers of Ali Peek, Kerby and Canaleta planliy sucks.. They cant come up with cool names like the Jhonny the Flying A and the captain Alvin Patrimonio.. Those names like the old days still sticks to my head and its way cooler than those monickers of Kerby Ali and Nino..

Comment

Originally posted by Tigas
          For me, the monickers of Ali Peek, Kerby and Canaleta planliy sucks.. They cant come up with cool names like the Jhonny the Flying A and the captain Alvin Patrimonio.. Those names like the old days still sticks to my head and its way cooler than those monickers of Kerby Ali and Nino..

aaghhh!!! flying A and captain lionheart even if they stick are just plain old fashioned, like 50's era old fashioned.. in today's MTV and hip hop generation, it's cooler to have nicks like K-Ray or J-Wash

announcers and press people (who are in their 40's to 50's) must think of cooler handles in tune to the modern age. Nicks like Major Pain (menk) and Big Punisher (alvarado) are cool and they stick...corny and unimaginative nicks like The Skyscraper (..at 6'9??? yeah right) or The Slasher (Rodney Santos) must be thrown out the window.

and must Quinito Henson and company give nicknames to very other player?
          <--- science always wins over bullshit --->

Comment

speaking of quinito henson and his sucky penchant of giving sucky nicknames...in one of his sucky columns, he gave 18 y.o boxing sensation a sucky nickname AJ "The Holy Man" Banal, in obvious reference to the english translation of Banal....

AJ's promoter quickly dismissed it and labeled it unimaginative and boring..and came up with the cooler nick "BAZOOKA"..though not original.

Quinito The Corny once inserted "No Fear" in between Manny Pacquiao's name..good thing it didnt stick..maybe the apparel company paid him to give PacMan that nickname.....ahh the american press knew better!!!

he also came up with Denver "the Nugget" Lopez....damn!!!!how miserable is that!!!!
            <--- science always wins over bullshit --->

Comment

lol..... Denver "the Nugget" Lopez.. That's just soooo stupid...
              Play Cyberdunk: The best basketball you can play out side the NBA

Comment

How about Ronjay "The Red Dragon" Buenafe..... It sucks!!! I never heard th e commentators call Kerby, K-Ray.... I think they call him "The Kid"..

Comment

Raymundo's nicknames are "the kid" and the "kerbinator"
                  never heard of k ray

Comment

My favorites...

"The Scavenger" Freddie Abuda
                    "Tora-tora" Jimwell Torion
                    " Aerial Voyager" Vergel Meneses
                    "Dynamite" Danny Seigle
                    "El Aparador" Joel Dualan
                    "The Spark" Mark Caguioa

Sucks...

"The golden Boy" Noy Catillo
                    "Raise The Roof" Danny Ildefonso
                    "Capt. Hook" Mark Cardona
                    "RA-RA" RAcela
                    "the prince" Vince Hizon
                    www.pbadraft.net
                    facebook.com/Pbadraftnet
                    twitter.com/PBADraftdotnet

"ONE MAN ARMY"

Comment

i love "The Big Boss" sonny thoss
                      a strong man stands up for himself,a stronger man stands up for others.

Comment

Originally posted by logre23
                        My favorites...

"The Scavenger" Freddie Abuda
                        "Tora-tora" Jimwell Torion
                        " Aerial Voyager" Vergel Meneses
                        "Dynamite" Danny Seigle
                        "El Aparador" Joel Dualan
                        "The Spark" Mark Caguioa

Sucks...

"The golden Boy" Noy Catillo
                        "Raise The Roof" Danny Ildefonso
                        "Capt. Hook" Mark Cardona
                        "RA-RA" RAcela
                        "the prince" Vince Hizon

I think Danny I. is "Demolition Man"

How about James Yap's "Boy Thunder".. Better be Big Game James
                        Any way "Kid Lightning is gone so no need to call James that bad monicker..

Comment

Well there are monickers that do not fit nor deserving to some players, and on the other hand, there were some monickers that truly deserving.
                          Allow me to mention some of those "classic" monickers coined by sports commentators and columnists to our homegrown PBA players.

Robert Jaworski - Big J
                          Ramon Fernandez - El Presidente
                          Atoy Co - Fortune Cookie
                          Allan Caidic - Triggerman
                          Samboy Lim - Skywalker
                          Bong Alvarez - Mr. Excitement
                          Vergel Meneses - Aerial Voyager
                          Alvin Patrimonio - The Captain
                          Nelson Asaytono - The Bull
                          Benjie Paras - Tower of Power
                          Johnny Abarrientos - Flying A
                          Dindo Pumaren - The Bullet
                          Rudy Distrito - Destroyer
                          Hector Calma - The General
                          Joey Loyzaga - Spitfire
                          Marlou Aquino - Skyscrapper
                          Freddie Abuda - Scavenger
                          Noli Locsin - The Tank
                          Jeffrey Cariaso - The Jet
                          Elpidio Villamin - Bicolano Superman (coined by the late Joe Cantada)

Im just wondering why retired PBA stars like jojo lastimosa and jerry codiƱera did not have monickers that really fit them.
                          Last edited by onono1; 11-28-2007, 02:26 PM.

Comment

AN athlete's nickname is earned through time and good performances on and off the playing field. It is not bestowed on a whim.

Hence, the wanton branding of nicknames just to have a nickname can sometimes get really out of hand.
                            Servinio's FACEBOOK Fan Club
                            Servinio's Blog of Sports
                            Servinio's Official YouTube channel
                            Servinio's Official TWITTER account
                            Servinio's Official Instagram account

Comment

i never liked the moniker of Kasim "the Golden Gun" Mirza its kinda long and so corny and also DLSU's Rejan "the baby Ninja" Lee, its kinda making gaya to Joseph 'the Ninja" Yeo.
                              you know why I am happy

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information