factors to consider for Pinoy college giants desiring to play in the USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• factors to consider for Pinoy college giants desiring to play in the USA

some factors to consider for Pinoy college giants desiring to play in the USA and gain experience:

What Led a Top NCAA Athlete to Transfer to an NAIA Program

By BRAD WOLVERTON

March 2007

Jessica Richter remembers the many luxuries of playing NCAA Division I basketball at Syracuse University: taking chartered flights, eating filet mignon on road trips, signing up for tutoring sessions even though she never needed academic assistance.

But after her freshman season, she grew weary of life in a top program. She says coaches routinely criticized players' shortcomings and seemed more interested in winning games than getting to know players off the court. The plethora of rules in the National Collegiate Athletic Association made basketball feel like all business and no play.

The frustrations led her to transfer. With her talent — she averaged 13 points a game in 2004-5, making her one of Syracuse's leading scorers — she could have gone anywhere she wanted. But she did not want to sit out a season, and NCAA rules require players to lose a year of eligibility when they transfer to competing NCAA institutions.

By moving to a program in the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics, however, Ms. Richter could play right away. So she transferred to Vanguard University of Southern California, in Costa Mesa, Calif.

Ms. Richter chose Vanguard because it is a faith-based institution, giving her plenty of opportunities to explore her Christian beliefs. And she liked its history of basketball success. The women's team regularly beats top NCAA Division I programs. This year it took down the University of Oregon, which played in the 2006 NCAA women's basketball tournament.

More Practice, More Fun

Now, after two seasons in an NAIA program, Ms. Richter finds that the less-restrictive environment suits her style. The Vanguard team is allowed to practice together year-round, spending as many hours on the court as necessary. (NCAA programs are limited to 20 hours of practice per week during certain months.)

Her Vanguard team practices more than her Syracuse team did, but she says she still has time for outside activities.

"We have other stuff besides basketball — school and other social functions," she says. "But basketball is fun, and we're committed to it, and we enjoy putting our time into it."

Ms. Richter also appreciates the time her coach spends with players away from the gym. Russ Davis, Vanguard's head women's basketball coach, regularly goes out to dinner with groups of players, getting to know them as individuals as much as athletes.

"He's very much about the relationship part of our experience and considers us his family," she says. "That helps us on the court because he knows different people need to be coached different ways."

The approach has helped the team shine. This year Vanguard went 28-0 during the regular season, entering this week's NAIA tournament as the top seed.

Ms. Richter also had a breakout season, averaging 21 points a game and winning conference Player of the Year honors.

She has no regrets about leaving the NCAA limelight, even though her days of playing on national television and flying on private jets are over.

"I'm much happier now," she says. "I have a coach and professors who really care about me, and my life is a lot less stressful."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Section: Athletics
    Volume 53, Issue 29, Page A34
    =========================================
    Anyone who wants to replace a coach because his dwarf team keeps losing against bigger teams is wishing for a miracle and should get a magician. A more practical solution is to get reinforcements unless one is content to wait a few more years in the hope that the dwarf players will grow wings and fly over their defenders. PBA reinforcements will not guarantee a championship, but it will guarantee close losses which is enough to make me happy.

In big organizations like the NCAA, the pay & perks are better, but there is also a lot of pressure for Coaches to win games. That pressure most of the time the Coaches & fans pass down to their players, hence taking out most of the "fun" out of the game. That holds true not only in the US, but here in the country as well.
    Philippine Football News on Facebook

rhk111's Military and Arms Page

Comment

pay and perks? technically "theoritically" speaking players ar enot supposed to get paid or get any speial freebies.

this girl is ajut a cry baby and anyone else i consider who cant handle the pressure. you are in a NCAA D1 school. if you cant handle the heat stay out of the kitchen. better yet why even bother aiming so high if u are scared.

i admit the u.s. is very cuthroat in competition, but if fellow pinoys cant handle it go back home and bitch about something else
      "A nationality that easily feels wronged is an insecure one, and one that will be difficult to progress."-Anonymous

Comment

Nobody is "bitc_ing" about the NCAA's cut throat competition. The article was just stating FACTS, & reflections about how it is playing in the major leagues.

Comment

facts that this girl couldnt hack it. i have no problem if u want to focus more on your religious beliefs, but make that decision first before you go to a school that is not officially known for its religious based foundation.. if you can't hack it you can't hack it, just go on to the next thing and stop thinking about the past<--ive noticed flips are good at this, hey i admit i have these traits to but not as much as msot filos i know back in the homeland
          "A nationality that easily feels wronged is an insecure one, and one that will be difficult to progress."-Anonymous

Comment

^^ and what are you good at?? insulting flips??
            Play Cyberdunk: The best basketball you can play out side the NBA

Comment

Originally posted by Phantim3dx
              facts that this girl couldnt hack it. i have no problem if u want to focus more on your religious beliefs, but make that decision first before you go to a school that is not officially known for its religious based foundation.. if you can't hack it you can't hack it, just go on to the next thing and stop thinking about the past<--ive noticed flips are good at this, hey i admit i have these traits to but not as much as msot filos i know back in the homeland
              The way you talk, you make it sound as if you're ashamed of your Pinoy roots. What, you consider your "American" roots to be much better than your Pinoy roots? It's almost as if you're out regretting your being a Pinoy.

Comment

What can i say? Im a bit confused with the title of the thread, hehehehhehe. Make it general may I request, like "Factors to consider for Pinoy ballers desiring to play in the USA"..... Not only for giants or home grown big men.

Comment

me good at insulting flips, i really wouldn't consider it a hobby nor positive side of mine. i do what i can however to bitch and criticize

yes rh you are very much correct, i am ashamed of my filipino roots so much that all throughout my time here i have always cheered fro the natl team to do well(more so on the positive criticism side..although a bit harsh and realistic). and i am so ashamed of my filipino roots that i decided to play for the philippine basketball team here in beijing during the summer league in this city..oh by the way that was while i was asked to play for another team.

however on a truthful finding note between the two roots (and i apologize for going off topic here, we already are) im not so much ashamed of the roots as i am ashamed at how much flips in general have so much potential but all they can do is bitch and moan(including me) and show no results. again i guess if you were to ask me which side is better i would without doubt state the american side of things.

overall i am just bitching at the reasoning as to why this thread was even posted to begin with. oh big deal a girl got her dreams crushed because she couldnt hack it in Syracuse University. everyone by now should realize competition in the u.s. is cut throat and if you did not know this then you have no business playing basketball in a challenging atmosphere. again this thread is a waste of space on the net, my frank opinion

Comment

from the article, we can see advantages in NAIA specially if your a transfer player who just wants playing and practice experience which is the case with college pinoys who want to gain experience in the US:

advantages in NAIA

1.) you do not lose a year of eligibility which happened with Japeth. thats one more year of playing time.

2.) unlimited practice time. NCAA only allows 20 hours a week.
                    =========================================
                    Anyone who wants to replace a coach because his dwarf team keeps losing against bigger teams is wishing for a miracle and should get a magician. A more practical solution is to get reinforcements unless one is content to wait a few more years in the hope that the dwarf players will grow wings and fly over their defenders. PBA reinforcements will not guarantee a championship, but it will guarantee close losses which is enough to make me happy.

Comment

Originally posted by pachador
                      from the article, we can see advantages in NAIA specially if your a transfer player who just wants playing and practice experience which is the case with college pinoys who want to gain experience in the US:

advantages in NAIA

1.) you do not lose a year of eligibility which happened with Japeth. thats one more year of playing time.

2.) unlimited practice time. NCAA only allows 20 hours a week.
                      Disadvantages VS. the NCAA

Weaker Competetion-in General
                      Weaker Coaches
                      Less Exposure to Pro Scouts
                      THE BEST KEPT SECRET
                      -BALL TIL i FALL-

Comment

Working...
                      X

Debug Information