• Show
Clear All

• Player from Cameroon to lead FEU Tamaraws

Friday, October 12, 2007
    Player from Cameroon to lead FEU Tamaraws
    By Richard Dy
    Manila Standard
    October 12, 2007

Denied several times of a possible college stint in the United States, Cameroon national Hypolite “Pipo” Noundou might just find himself a new career here in the Philippines.

Pipo who?

Pipo’s name obviously doesn’t ring a bell for basketball aficionados, particularly in the collegiate scene. This is very much unlike popular San Beda College standout Nigerian center Sam Ekwe, who in his two years of play, helped the Red Lions win back-to-back National Collegiate Athletic Association cage crowns recently.

Pipo, the 6’4” wide-bodied forward, is currently taking residency with Far Eastern University, a team which is trying to restore its basketball fortunes in the University Athletic Association of the Philippines after its last UAAP crown in 2005.

Packed with a solid upper body, leaping ability and good shooting touch, Pipo could help turn the Tamaraws into a team to reckon with, if and when the Cameroon import dons the green-and-yellow jersey in the UAAP’s 2009 season.

First nine months

A native of Douala, Cameroon, Pipo, as he is fondly called by his friends here and abroad, said that since his younger days, he has dreamed of playing outside of his native land in the hope of contributing to the family’s income.

“I just don’t want to stay in my country anymore,” said Pipo. “It was frustrating, because several times, I applied for a US visa, but I ended up being denied each time. My friends from Cameroon have been given US visas but me, I don’t know why I always get denied.”

His father, Joseph Tetchou, is a psychology professor in Cameroon while his mother, Lyme Chouh, is a retired teacher.

Born on March 21, 1988, Pipo, currently a Sports and Recreation Management student, said he managed to get out of Cameroon through the help of a businessman-friend last year.

“He brought me to Bangkok then left me there, because I thought I could play basketball there,” he recalled.

But upon learning that basketball wasn’t that popular in the capital city of Thailand, Pipo packed his bags and looked for opportunities elsewhere.

“I heard from some people in Bangkok that the Philippines has good basketball leagues so I searched in the Internet and found the PBA [Philippine Basketball Association] and the PBL [Philippine Basketball League],” he added.

Though his parents weren’t that completely convinced, Pipo managed to get financial support again from them. His next stop after that? Manila.

When he reached the Philippine capital city, Pipo met a Filipino pastor, who helped him find a place to stay. He began his adventure by trying out with the Welcoat Dragons in the PBA.

“I realized I lacked the maturity to play in the PBA because with Welcoat, I struggled with my game. I really wanted to make money, but because there was no opportunity, a neighbor from where I stayed in Cubao introduced me to coach Franz [Pumaren of La Salle].

“I then tried out with UE [University of the East], and coach [Dindo Pumaren] told me I could live in the team’s quarters, get scholarship or just go to San Beda or Letran if I wanted to play immediately. I went back to where I stayed. Then our neighbor, whose name is Freddie Santiago, introduced me to boss Anton Montinola [FEU team manager]. So on Jan. 12, I went to the FEU Gym for the first time and had my first practice, and he was very, very happy to see me,” narrated the 19-year-old Pipo.

Tears of joy

Upon receiving his very first FEU basketball jersey, Pipo said he shed tears, because he felt that signaled the end of his suffering.

“With FEU, I learned a lot of things from our coaches. Before, I’m more of a one-on-one player. Coach Glen [Capacio] taught me how to play as a team, how to play defense, hustle and try to become a complete player,” he explained.

Though he was aware that he had to sit out two years due to the residency rule for foreign players in the UAAP, he said he decided to stick it out with FEU because of the kindness shown to him by Montinola.

“Boss Anton is very kind. He helped me in my stay here. I felt like home here,” he said.

Having watched basketball games of the PBA, PBL and collegiate leagues like the UAAP, NCAA, among others, Pipo said he’s already preparing himself for the bigger cage war in the future.

Open-court player

Due to his early exposure in basketball in Cameroon, Pipo has developed his speed and thrives in the open-court type of basketball.

Currently playing for the FEU’s farm team, Pipo has emerged as the team’s go-to guy because of his outside shooting and even good post-up moves.

“Mabilis siya at malakas ang katawan. Malaki ang maitutulong niya sa team ’pag naglaro na siya,” noted FEU team consultant Bert Flores, who gave the Tamaraws their last UAAP crown in 2005.

Flores said Pipo could easily play the no. 3 position because of his good shooting touch from the perimeter. And since he could also play well on the post, he could pose some mismatches at times.

Even Asian College of Science and Technology assistant coach Luis Palaganas said Pipo’s potential to dominate the UAAP appears imminent, especially as he gets more immersed in the FEU basketball program.

Palaganas, who saw action for the UE Red Warriors from 2004 to 2005, said he has seen Pipo play during FEU Team B’s exhibition match with Acsat some months back.

For now, Pipo remains an obscure player, but as he continues to progress in his game, the Tamaraws may end up goring their way for another UAAP title in the future.

he said that he was preparing to battle for the bigger league... but the main question is will the PBA allow him to play??? ahahahahha
    Last edited by rikhardur; 10-12-2007, 11:41 AM. Reason: Posts merged: short time between consecutive posts

no way......bwahaha
    [http://basketball.powerplaymanager.c...a=201410504468

“Ang hirap kasi sa kanya, kapit tuko siya sa pwesto niya. Hangga’t pupuwede ayaw niyang bumitaw. Dapat dyan automatic yan nagre-resign siya, bigyan ng chance ang iba." -Abe King

Comment

yeah.....bring 'em all...^_^
      YOU MAKE ME FEEL SO BAD...

Comment

let him play soccer!!

Comment

other teams are now starting to travel to africa to search for possible recruits.
          "There are only three kinds of mathematicians: those who can count, and those who can not."

Ana "The Hurricane" Julaton - 1st Filipino Female Boxer Double Word Champion.

Comment

Originally posted by jesronne
            he said that he was preparing to battle for the bigger league... but the main question is will the PBA allow him to play??? ahahahahha
            Yes he can play in the PBA, as an import, but not as local.

Comment

pipo is the future of FEU basketball.... their future black player.
              "There are only three kinds of mathematicians: those who can count, and those who can not."

Comment

Player from Cameroon to lead FEU Tamaraws

Player from Cameroon to lead FEU Tamaraws By Richard Dy
                DENIED several times of a possible college stint in the United States, Cameroon national Hypolite “Pipo” Noundou might just find himself a new career here in the Philippines.
                Pipo who?
                Pipo’s name obviously doesn’t ring a bell for basketball aficionados, particularly in the collegiate scene. This is very much unlike popular San Beda College standout Nigerian center Sam Ekwe, who in his two years of play, helped the Red Lions win back-to-back National Collegiate Athletic Association cage crowns recently.
                Pipo, the 6’4” wide-bodied forward, is currently taking residency with Far Eastern University, a team which is trying to restore its basketball fortunes in the University Athletic Association of the Philippines after its last UAAP crown in 2005.
                Packed with a solid upper body, leaping ability and good shooting touch, Pipo could help turn the Tamaraws into a team to reckon with, if and when the Cameroon import dons the green-and-yellow jersey in the UAAP’s 2009 season.
                First nine months
                A native of Douala, Cameroon, Pipo, as he is fondly called by his friends here and abroad, said that since his younger days, he has dreamed of playing outside of his native land in the hope of contributing to the family’s income.
                “I just don’t want to stay in my country anymore,” said Pipo. “It was frustrating, because several times, I applied for a US visa, but I ended up being denied each time. My friends from Cameroon have been given US visas but me, I don’t know why I always get denied.”
                His father, Joseph Tetchou, is a psychology professor in Cameroon while his mother, Lyme Chouh, is a retired teacher.
                Born on March 21, 1988, Pipo, currently a Sports and Recreation Management student, said he managed to get out of Cameroon through the help of a businessman-friend last year.
                “He brought me to Bangkok then left me there, because I thought I could play basketball there,” he recalled.
                But upon learning that basketball wasn’t that popular in the capital city of Thailand, Pipo packed his bags and looked for opportunities elsewhere.
                “I heard from some people in Bangkok that the Philippines has good basketball leagues so I searched in the Internet and found the PBA [Philippine Basketball Association] and the PBL [Philippine Basketball League],” he added.
                Though his parents weren’t that completely convinced, Pipo managed to get financial support again from them. His next stop after that? Manila.
                When he reached the Philippine capital city, Pipo met a Filipino pastor, who helped him find a place to stay. He began his adventure by trying out with the Welcoat Dragons in the PBA.
                “I realized I lacked the maturity to play in the PBA because with Welcoat, I struggled with my game. I really wanted to make money, but because there was no opportunity, a neighbor from where I stayed in Cubao introduced me to coach Franz [Pumaren of La Salle].
                “I then tried out with UE [University of the East], and coach [Dindo Pumaren] told me I could live in the team’s quarters, get scholarship or just go to San Beda or Letran if I wanted to play immediately. I went back to where I stayed. Then our neighbor, whose name is Freddie Santiago, introduced me to boss Anton Montinola [FEU team manager]. So on Jan. 12, I went to the FEU Gym for the first time and had my first practice, and he was very, very happy to see me,” narrated the 19-year-old Pipo.
                Tears of joy
                Upon receiving his very first FEU basketball jersey, Pipo said he shed tears, because he felt that signaled the end of his suffering.
                “With FEU, I learned a lot of things from our coaches. Before, I’m more of a one-on-one player. Coach Glen [Capacio] taught me how to play as a team, how to play defense, hustle and try to become a complete player,” he explained.
                Though he was aware that he had to sit out two years due to the residency rule for foreign players in the UAAP, he said he decided to stick it out with FEU because of the kindness shown to him by Montinola.
                “Boss Anton is very kind. He helped me in my stay here. I felt like home here,” he said.
                Having watched basketball games of the PBA, PBL and collegiate leagues like the UAAP, NCAA, among others, Pipo said he’s already preparing himself for the bigger cage war in the future.
                Open-court player
                Due to his early exposure in basketball in Cameroon, Pipo has developed his speed and thrives in the open-court type of basketball.
                Currently playing for the FEU’s farm team, Pipo has emerged as the team’s go-to guy because of his outside shooting and even good post-up moves.
                “Mabilis siya at malakas ang katawan. Malaki ang maitutulong niya sa team ’pag naglaro na siya,” noted FEU team consultant Bert Flores, who gave the Tamaraws their last UAAP crown in 2005.
                Flores said Pipo could easily play the no. 3 position because of his good shooting touch from the perimeter. And since he could also play well on the post, he could pose some mismatches at times.
                Even Asian College of Science and Technology assistant coach Luis Palaganas said Pipo’s potential to dominate the UAAP appears imminent, especially as he gets more immersed in the FEU basketball program.
                Palaganas, who saw action for the UE Red Warriors from 2004 to 2005, said he has seen Pipo play during FEU Team B’s exhibition match with Acsat some months back.
                For now, Pipo remains an obscure player, but as he continues to progress in his game, the Tamaraws may end up goring their way for another UAAP title in the future.

Source: http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/?...ts1_oct11_2007
                This player reminds me of many Filipinos using basketball to lift out of poverty and play the game they love the most

sigpic

Comment

im inspired by his story. one of those that shows how someone struggles just to make it big in bustling cities such as Metro Manila. some may end up successful...even becoming a part of the national team, but most would end up cryin.

pipo, thanks for your story. it makes me realize that hardwork and perseverance really pay off.

keep those dreams alive. :-)

Comment

Really sure he is a good player... I think may be end up successful and we'll get from RP National team roster as naturalize like Ekwe.

Comment

are you sure he's good?

Comment

Really sure he is a good player... I think may be end up successful and we'll get from RP National team roster as naturalize like Ekwe.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ankle breaker
                            are you sure he's good?

I think he is already a better player than Rob Bornancin ( former UP Maroons Player back in the early 2000's), and Josh Nkomelam of Ateneo.

Comment

Any pictures?
                              THE BEST KEPT SECRET
                              -BALL TIL i FALL-

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information