• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RP bids to host pre-Olympic cage tourney

RP bids to host pre-Olympic cage tourney

By Joaquin Henson
    Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The Philippines is preparing a P30 Million war chest in a bid to host the six-nation FIBA Diamond Ball Championships two weeks before the Beijing Olympics next year.

SBP executive director Patrick Gregorio said yesterday he will discuss the bid with FIBA secretary-general Patrick Baumann during the Asian Indoor Games in Macau this week. FIBA technical group head Lubomir Kotleba earlier gave the go-signal for the Philippines to submit a firm offer to Baumann.

Gregorio said the Diamond Ball Championships will gather the five FIBA zone champions, except the US, to play in a tournament with the host team. Hong Kong and Macau are also bidding for the hosting rights.

“It’s a stand-alone tournament,” explained Gregorio. “FIBA is making it possible for the zonal Olympic qualifiers to play tune-up games in a country close to China. We’re taking the opportunity to reintroduce the Philippines to the FIBA family.”

The bid won’t come cheap. FIBA is asking for a rights fee of $100,000. And the five visiting teams will be given $50,000 each to cover airline tickets and other expenses. The host will also pay for hotel accommodations, food and inland transportation.

The five visiting teams are African champion Angola, Oceania champion Australia, European champion Russia, Asian champion Iran and defending Olympic champion Argentina replacing the US.

“We’re excited,” said Gregorio. “If we win the bid, it means we’ll have to regroup the Philippine team. Can you imagine the interest in the Philippines playing Iran? With the assurance of Solar and other groups for support, I think we’ll be able to raise the P30 Million budget. Mr. MVP (SBP president Manny Pangilinan) is definitely backing up the project.”

Gregorio is leaving for Macau tomorrow not only to confer with Baumann but also to accompany the Philippine Nike squad participating in the 3-on-3 demonstration sport at the Asian Indoor Games. He will be back on Monday.

The 3-on-3 event will be played on Saturday. Competing are Hong Kong, Macau, China, India, Chinese-Taipei, Iran, Malaysia and the Philippines.

Luigi Trillo is coaching the Philippines whose players are 6-4 Nico Salva of San Beda, 6-2 Ryan Buenafe of San Sebastian, 5-10 Clark Bautista of Benedictine International School and 6-5 Arvie Bringas of San Sebastian. The age limit for players is 18 and for coaches, 35.

Gregorio said FIBA is experimenting on the 3-on-3 format as a possible event for the first Youth Olympics in 2010.

The full 3-on-3 schedule will roll out on Saturday. The Philippines plays Malaysia at 9:30 a.m., Chinese-Taipei at 10:30 a.m. and Iran at 1:30 p.m. in the eliminations. If the Philippines makes it to the crossover semis, the first knockout game will be played at 3 p.m. with the finals at 4:30 p.m.

source: Philippine Star

SUPPORT THIS PROJECT!!!

Maybe we can see a
    mark caguioa vs ginobli
    kelly williams/danny siegle vs andre kirilenko

AND OF COURSE

REVENGE FOR IRAN!!!!
    Last edited by Project_Olympics; 10-31-2007, 06:28 AM.

Comment

hehehehehe... that Greek referee deserve the Wayne Barnes (Rugby World Cup referee: NZ vs. France) treatment

sigpic

Comment

alam ninyo naisip ko , since tayo ang host, puede siguro tayo mag-pasok ng 2 teams kasi 5 na foreign teams lang naman yan e. bale yung first team natin siempre yung PBA national team tapos yung second team yung mga wala pa sa PBA na mga bata kasama diyan si Chiu , Aguilar, Norwood at Slaughter.
        puede ito kasi ang gusto lang naman ng foreign teams na ito ay practice games bago mag- Beijing olympics
        =========================================
        Anyone who wants to replace a coach because his dwarf team keeps losing against bigger teams is wishing for a miracle and should get a magician. A more practical solution is to get reinforcements unless one is content to wait a few more years in the hope that the dwarf players will grow wings and fly over their defenders. PBA reinforcements will not guarantee a championship, but it will guarantee close losses which is enough to make me happy.

Comment

Which Greek ref? Because there are many imbeciles refs in Greece.

How many Euros are P30 Millions?

Btw, Greece bid too.

Originally posted by parso
          Gomelsky doesn't know @@@@ about basketball
          Originally posted by sseppel
          it's not asking too much for someone to know where the fuck he is.
          Originally posted by UMUT_FB_LAL
          Scola makes me wanna touch myself, no homo

Comment

Originally posted by pachador
            alam ninyo naisip ko , since tayo ang host, puede siguro tayo mag-pasok ng 2 teams kasi 5 na foreign teams lang naman yan e. bale yung first team natin siempre yung PBA national team tapos yung second team yung mga wala pa sa PBA na mga bata kasama diyan si Chiu , Aguilar, Norwood at Slaughter.
            puede ito kasi ang gusto lang naman ng foreign teams na ito ay practice games bago mag- Beijing olympics
            I think 6 teams including RP NT should be enough... in a round-robin games or in a two pool games (like the Manila Invitational)... fielding another RP Team would add another expenses... instead of P30 million... it would be more than that which is unnecessary... considering even the PBA national team will struggle against most of the Olympic-bound countries (maybe except Iran)...

Originally posted by ArkadiosV2

Btw, Greece bid too.
            I dunno the Greek ref's name... no idea...

And P30 million is nothing compare to Euros... 1 euros is about 40 pesos I think... not sure...

About the tourney... I thought FIBA wants to held the tournament close to China as possible .. as a warm-up tourney for the Olympic-qualifer champions and the host...

sigpic

Comment

Well, European federations say that the tournament requires 5 million Euros.

How will Philippines do this with 750K Euros?

What game are you talking about with the Greek ref, i missed some episodes...

Originally posted by parso
              Gomelsky doesn't know @@@@ about basketball
              Originally posted by sseppel
              it's not asking too much for someone to know where the fuck he is.
              Originally posted by UMUT_FB_LAL
              Scola makes me wanna touch myself, no homo

Comment

I had no idea how RP get the money... it depends on how many sponsors willing to commit...

The game between Iran and RP in the FIBA Asia Championship... the Greek ref made a bad call at the end... he impose technical foul/ kick the coach out of the game..

sigpic

Comment

is it possible you are talking about the FIBA World Wild card tournament ?? which is different from this 6 team FIBA tournament

=========================================
                  Anyone who wants to replace a coach because his dwarf team keeps losing against bigger teams is wishing for a miracle and should get a magician. A more practical solution is to get reinforcements unless one is content to wait a few more years in the hope that the dwarf players will grow wings and fly over their defenders. PBA reinforcements will not guarantee a championship, but it will guarantee close losses which is enough to make me happy.

Comment

if this pushes through, the world would finally know that Philippines indeed is a basketball country....
                    SMART GILAS: all the way

Comment

Btw, Greece bid too.

I think FIBA wanted the games played close to China.
                      Mabuhay Team Pilipinas!

Comment

Originally posted by Onizuka01
                        I think FIBA wanted the games played close to China.
                        why?
                        not macau again!

Comment

Originally posted by Project_Olympics
                          why?
                          not macau again!
                          What why?? Philippines is also close in China...

Comment

Btw, Greece bid too.
                            1 euro = P63.5349 (as of Oct. 30 rate)

so P30 M / P63.5349 = 472,181.43 euros

SMART GILAS: all the way

Comment

RP bids to host pre-Olympic cage tourney

put some comments
                              Last edited by rikhardur; 10-31-2007, 01:42 PM. Reason: Threads merged: there was already a topic on the issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information