Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's the Greatest Chinoy Basketball Player Ever ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's the Greatest Chinoy Basketball Player Ever ?

There are only two Chinoys (Chinese-Filipino) that would come to mind and that would be Fortunato "Atoy" Co and Lim Eng Beng.

And here's the profile of the two:

Fortunato "Atoy" Co, Jr. is a former Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) basketball player who was part of the fabled Crispa Redmanizers ballclub that won two Grand Slams, in 1976 and 1983. He won the Most Valuable Player (MVP) award, in 1979 and a 9-time Mythical First Team Member. He was a national team player that participated in the 1974 Asian Games.

And here are some notably quotes:

from Norman Black, former PBA coach and presently Ateneo head coach in the UAAP - "How many players do you see go on a fastbreak with the lane wide open, stop and take a jumper? Atoy did that a lot. And the thing that amazed me was that he made his jump shots as if he were making lay-ups."

from Rudy Salud, former PBA Commissioner - "Sweet-shooting. He would hit shots that many coaches would say, 'No, no, no . . . . good!'"

from Tommy Manotoc, former coach at Crispa - "A pure talent. Naging movie star lang masyado. (He just became a movie star too much) Offensive-wise, what you've seen with Michael Jordan, Atoy Co already had back then. He was the first off-guard to introduce the various ways to shoot. Noong araw, bago ka tumira, dapat naka-set ka, nakaharap ka sa basket. Si Atoy, nakatalikod man o naka-baliktad and paa, tumitira. (Back then, before you shoot you had to be set for the shot facing the basket. Atoy shoots the ball even if he isn't facing the basket or even if his feet were inverted) To me, he innovated offensive basketball. The moves, the ballet, siya ang nag-umpisa (he started it all)."

Lim Eng Beng, is a former Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) player. Played from 1975 - 1986, he is one of the greatest players in the history of the PBA. He is much remembered playing for the U-Tex Wranglers, where he was named to the Mythical Five on two occasions, and won two championships and two runner-up finishes. Wearing the jersey with No. 14, he plays the point and shooting guard. In year 2000, he was named one of the PBA's 25th Anniversary All-Time Team. He is also one of the best players in the sports history of the De La Salle University varsity team.

He continually played for the Green Archers through his four year college years. In 1974, his senior year, he led the team to the championship again against the Ateneo Eagles. He scored 55 points in the championship game, and had an average of 32 points in that season. He was awarded the MVP (Most Valuable Player) with a trophy and a plaque. In addition, he was awarded by NCAA as the Most Popular NCAA player in 1974. For sportsmanship, he garnered the sportsmanship plaque of recognition from De La Salle College. And for the first time in the history of De La Salle, the school's president retired the jersey with number 14. Nobody can use the number 14 forever.

He currently holds the record for the most points (55 points) scored in a single NCAA game.

In 1975, when he started playing in the newly created PBA (Philippine Basketball Association), the Federation of Filipino-Chinese Chamber of Commerce quickly awarded him as one of the four Most Outstanding Youth in the Chinese-Filipino community.

Continually playing in professional basketball from 1975 thru 1986, he was among one of the few elite Chinese-Filipino athletes in the Philippines to be recognized as a superstar athlete and have inspired many youths to follow his footsteps.

In 1989, the Chiang Kai Shek Alumni Association awarded him a plaque of appreciation for the Most Outstanding Player representing the Philippines in International Tournaments. From 1990 thru 1999, he played as playing coach for his Batch 31 basketball team.

From 1997 to 2001, he represented the PCFBL(Philippine Chinese Filipino Basketball League), as playing coach in the World Chinese Basketball Tournament and in the ASEAN Chinese Basketball League.

Truly these two Chinese-Filipinos (chinoys) did as proud.

Do you have someone in mind....? ......please do tell...
    Last edited by dreamwalker; 10-19-2007, 12:14 AM.

Trivia on our Chinese Ancestry.

The Chinese Filipinos have always been one of the largest Filipino ethnic groups, making up about 11.5% (9.8 million) of the country's total population.[citation needed] The rate of intermarriage between Filipinos and Chinese is among the highest in Southeast Asia, exceeded only by Thailand. However, intermarriages happened mostly in the Spanish colonial eras because Chinese immigrants to the Philippines up to the 19th century were predominantly male. It was only in the 20th century that Chinese women and children came in comparable numbers. These Chinese mestizos, products of intermarriages in the Spanish colonial era, then often opted to marry other Chinese mestizos (as was the case with the ancestors of national hero Dr. Jose Rizal). Some studies have shown that at least 40% of the Filipino population has some Chinese ancestry - mostly comprising the Filipino social and political elite, and that 50% of Filipino genes are of Chinese origin.[citation needed] Generally, the term Chinese mestizo is reserved for those who have more recent Chinese ancestry; those who still retain, in full or in part, the surnames of their Chinese ancestors; or those who have "Chinese eyes" or fairer complexion compared to the general populace which can be attributed to their Chinese ancestry. By this definition, the Chinese Filipinos, along with the Chinese mestizos, number about 9.8 million.

With regards to ethnicity most Chinese in the Philippines belong to either the Fujianese or Cantonese dialect groups of the Han nationality. 98.5% of all unmixed Chinese in the Philippines came from the province of Fujian in China and are thus called Fujianese, or Hoklo. They speak the Lan-nang (Philippine) variant of the Minnan language, which is further subdivided into several dialects. The most common Minnan (Southern Fujianese) dialect in the Philippines is the Amoy dialect, which is mutually intelligible with the Chuanchew dialect, another common dialect in the Philippines. The remaining 1.5% of the unmixed Chinese in the Philippines are mostly of Cantonese origin, with notably large circles of descendants from the Taishan city. They speak the Cantonese dialect group/language, although many are raised to speak only the Minnan dialect. Most are not as economically prosperous as their Fujianese cousins in Philippine society. Some ghettoes of the Cantonese people are found in Santa Mesa, Manila and in Tondo. There are also a minority of Cantonese who have Portuguese ancestry - they are called Macanese. Unmixed Chinese who are of both Fujianese and Cantonese parentage are classified simply as Cantonese. Other non-resident Chinese in the Philippines, such as expatriates and envoys are of Mandarin, Shanghainese, and Hunanese origin .

As many as 98.5% of the Chinese in the Philippines trace their ancestry to the southern part of Fujian province. The Lan-nang variant of Min Nan, also locally known as Fukien or Lán-lâng-oē (咱人話; "our people's language"), is the lingua franca of the Chinese-Filipino community. Most of the other 10% are descendants of migrants from Guangdong, Hong Kong, or Taiwan. The other Chinese dialects that can be heard in the Chinese-Filipino communities are Mandarin Chinese (which is taught in Chinese schools in the Philippines and spoken in varying degrees of fluency by Chinese Filipinos), Taiwanese (which is mutually intelligible with the Chuanchew and Amoy dialects), and Cantonese.

The vast majority of the Chinese in the Philippines, however, are fluent in English as well as Tagalog, and for those residing outside of Metro Manila, the local language of the region, like Ilokano, Cebuano (Cebu, Davao, Iligan, and Zamboanga), and Chabacano.
    Mandarin Chinese used to be the medium of instruction in Chinese schools prior to the Filipinization policy of Former President Ferdinand Marcos. Partly as a result of Marcos' measures, Tagalog and English are gradually supplanting Chinese (Minnan and Mandarin) as the preferred medium of communication among the younger generation.

So there you are....we have chinese blood in our veins.

Comment

Don't you know that Fil-Ams brothers Andy and Danny Siegle are with chinese blood...?

......believe it or not....

source:

Comment

How about Samboy Lim bro?

sigpic

Comment

So we got three, who else...?

Whooops, sorry I forgot the great Samboy Lim.... and here's his profile:

Avelino "Samboy" Lim (born April 1, 1962) was an iconic basketball player of the Philippine Basketball Association, who, as a forward/shooting guard, distinguished himself with Magic Johnson-like ball handling skills and Julius "Dr. J" Erving leaping and dunking abilities, he is best remembered as a player who would leap towards the basket, switch the ball from one hand to the other while in mid-air, and finish off with a dunk.

Samboy was an impact player who can dominate the game by penetrating to any stonewall defense. He uses his speed and hangtime to create impossible shots. With his dare-devil high flying drives to the basket, sharp outside shooting and all out hustle, Samboy electrified the crowd for decades. He earned the monicker "The Skywalker" and "The Dragon."

Samboy was unstoppable in his time. He had heart. And for some time, he was the most popular player in the PBA after Robert Jaworski. Samboy is best remembered as the only player getting a standing ovation and applause from the crowd (even of the opposing team) every time he walks up to the officials table to enter the game. He was not only popular...he was also respected and well loved and even appeared for BATIBOT, a popular kiddie show during the 80's.

Samboy was so unstoppable that isolating him, during the time that isolation plays are allowed in the PBA, would mean an automatic two points or an and one situation. He could break down defenses like bowling pins even if he is matched-up with an import. In fact Norman Black once draw...or always draw a play where everybody switch to the other side so that Samboy can isolate his defender for that easy two points.

Samboy could also throw threes and has a mean long tom added to his arsenal. In one of the invitationals where foreign teams were pitted against PBA teams, Samboy Lim saved the face of the Philippines when he single-handedly took over in the IBA-PBA challenge in 1987 where the import was a then obscure Bobby Parks.In one of the championship game against Shell...then commentator now PBL commissioner Trinidad during half time said that Shell is having a headache ( word to that effect ) in the name of S-A-M-B-O-Y because Samboy's killing Shell almost singlehandidly.

Samboy could be best remembered as the daredevil that never feared that his career might end in an instant. He was floored to the point he got bloodied in an instance where he drove against Jojo Lastimosa and was driven to unconsciousness for a moment. He also got his anterior cruciate ligament torn when he tried to drive through the baseline.

There was a time that Samboy Lim commanded P90,000 per month in salaries, which at that time was unprecedented in the history of the PBA.

Comment

Who Would You Rank First ?

Atoy comes in first, second is Samboy then Lim Eng Beng.

What about yours....?

Comment

Same!

sigpic

Comment

Wilmer Ong....
                SMART GILAS: all the way

Comment

Isn't James Yap (ex President's son-in-law) in the NT a Chinoy?
                  aim low, score high

Comment

Originally posted by dreamwalker
                    The Chinese Filipinos have always been one of the largest Filipino ethnic groups, making up about 11.5% (9.8 million) of the country's total population.[citation needed] The rate of intermarriage between Filipinos and Chinese is among the highest in Southeast Asia, exceeded only by Thailand....
                    Interesting study... I don't know where the figure is from but I don't believe 11.5% Filipinos are pure-blooded Chinese. So what is the definition of Chinoy if 40% of Filipinos have Chinese blood? 1/4 Chinese?

Most Chinese-Filipinos seem to have non-Chinese given names and even some, it seems at least to me, have altered last names completely different from one-syllable Chinese family names. I can't think of any examples, but I think I read it somewhere.

Malaysia has about 25% Chinese (90% basketball players are Chinese) and most of them, even 10th-generation ones, have complete Chinese names, as Malaysian Chinese (no such thing as "Chinese-Malaysian") do not marry Malays (or the other way around, Muslim Malays don't marry non-Muslims).
                    aim low, score high

Comment

Originally posted by sinobball
                      Isn't James Yap (ex President's son-in-law) in the NT a Chinoy?
                      Yeah I think he's a Chinoy as well

sigpic

Comment

Interesting study... I don't know where the figure is from but I don't believe 11.5% Filipinos are pure-blooded Chinese. So what is the definition of Chinoy if 40% of Filipinos have Chinese blood? 1/4 Chinese?

Most Chinese-Filipinos seem to have non-Chinese given names and even some, it seems at least to me, have altered last names completely different from one-syllable Chinese family names. I can't think of any examples, but I think I read it somewhere.

Malaysia has about 25% Chinese (90% basketball players are Chinese) and most of them, even 10th-generation ones, have complete Chinese names, as Malaysian Chinese (no such thing as "Chinese-Malaysian") do not marry Malays (or the other way around, Muslim Malays don't marry non-Muslims).
                        I think there's a lot of pure-blooded Chinese in the Philippines because they have their own Chinese community (China towns, Chinese schools) in different cities and marries Chinese as well... but I do believe they're a lot of Chinoy than pure-blooded Chinese in the country... intermarriage for more than one-two hundred years between Chinese and Filipinos... more than Spanish mestizos in terms population...

sigpic

Comment

Theres more Chinese blood here our country nowadays.

Before in the past, first we have only more Hispanics are Spanish, Mexicans, Portuguese and European in the country during 19th century until pre-world war II, and we have few Chinese our country.

Second, we have more Americans are marrying to Filipina and then migrated to US. As Filipino-American during and after World War II. But our Hispanic brothers still stay here.

But now, we have more Chinese here... Our old Hispanic ancestry dwindled to have 12% bred. Really, I'm quarter Spanish, Portuguese and a little Chinese blood.

Comment

for the past is Samboy Lim...currently its James Yap...i myself am also a chinoy!!!(my last name Tuazon is from our ancestor in the 1600s, a chinese guy name son tua, our home province & hometown is Nueva Ecija and Marikina City...)
                            NEW ORLEANS HORNETS 2008

Comment

There are a significant number of Chinoys with pure Chinese blood. It's just that most of these Chinoys have Christianized their names in the early parts of the 1900's for some good reasons. Some actually legally changed their last names when they migrated to the Philippines (ex. Chia became Santiago, etc.).

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information