Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women's Basketball in Philippines

Hi Gang,

I read the recent thread about the women's SEABA tournament coming up and I was interested to see that some of the Filipinos here are really supporting their women's team. That shows a good sense of competition, because a lot of people just say "pfff...who cares about women's ball?" so it gets ignored.

Anyhow, I'm just wondering about the state of women's basketball in the Filipines. Is there a league? Is the league connected with the men's league, such as the NBA and WNBA? Do the women exclusively play ball or do they have second jobs? And what is the development of women like?

--Matt
    "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

reality check: a big reason many posters are supporting them is because the current team has a bunch of cuties

Originally posted by mvblair
    Hi Gang,

I read the recent thread about the women's SEABA tournament coming up and I was interested to see that some of the Filipinos here are really supporting their women's team. That shows a good sense of competition, because a lot of people just say "pfff...who cares about women's ball?" so it gets ignored.

Anyhow, I'm just wondering about the state of women's basketball in the Filipines. Is there a league? Is the league connected with the men's league, such as the NBA and WNBA? Do the women exclusively play ball or do they have second jobs? And what is the development of women like?

--Matt
    =========================================
    Anyone who wants to replace a coach because his dwarf team keeps losing against bigger teams is wishing for a miracle and should get a magician. A more practical solution is to get reinforcements unless one is content to wait a few more years in the hope that the dwarf players will grow wings and fly over their defenders. PBA reinforcements will not guarantee a championship, but it will guarantee close losses which is enough to make me happy.

Comment

Originally posted by pachador
      reality check: a big reason many posters are supporting them is because the current team has a bunch of cuties
      specially Joel23 who's so affectionate about the women's team.
      "There are only three kinds of mathematicians: those who can count, and those who can not."

Ana "The Hurricane" Julaton - 1st Filipino Female Boxer Double Word Champion.

Comment

probably the most competitive games are played in the college level. but i must say, basketball is 2nd only to volleyball in terms of favorite sports to play among the girls.

high school level is pretty big too due to the presence of many all-girls school here where "they can be themselves", also with some progressive schools.

there's no tournaments that i know of where the ladies can play after they graduated, maybe there's a weekender thing amongst themselves and a few mini-tourneys here and there, but nothing really significant. There used to be a semi-pro league WPBL, but it lasted only for a year or so.

Some of the former varsity players dabble into coaching and act as mentors among the younger generation.

Originally posted by mvblair
        Hi Gang,

--Matt
        <--- science always wins over bullshit --->

Comment

Working...
        X

Debug Information