Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alex Compton, An American Soul with a Filipino Heart

A brief profile of the man.....

Alexander M. Compton, born March 16, 1974 in Makati City, Philippines, a former standout of Cornell University; born to American professors J. Lin and Carol, both well-traveled couple. He practically grew up in the Philippines, learned and live like a normal filipino and shared a common passion for basketball.

Compton is most notably known for his years in the Metropolitan Basketball Association with the Manila Metrostars and the Batangas Blades. He won the 1999 MBA Most Valuable Player award when the Metrostars won the national title and also won another championship with the the Blades in 2001.

After the demise of the MBA, he moved to the Philippine Basketball League under an exception granted by the league. He played for the Blades, Sunkist-UST Tigers and the Montaña Pawnshop Jewels from 2002-2006. He led the Jewels to its only PBL crown in the 2005 PBL Open Championship.

In the 2006-07 PBA Philippine Cup, Compton was one of the assistant coaches of the Dragons before being allowed by the PBA to play as the team's second import for the 2007 PBA Fiesta Conference

Everybody knows all about Fil-Ams playing in the Philippine Basketball Association but Compton fondly calls himself a "Feel-Fil".

When asked: “No, I’m not a Fil-Am,” said Alex. “I’m actually just Feeling Filipino. I was born here in the country and I already feel like a Filipino from living here for so long.” Alex was born in the Philippines because his American parents were here during his birth. In most other countries, including the USA, that would have been enough to entitle citizenship. But we have stricter laws in the Philippines, which is why the state doesn't legally recognized him as Filipino. (I honestly believe, this law needs to be changed).

Most of us who doesn't know him personally and those people who are in the know that Alex speaks fluent tagalog and halting bisaya, both local dialects. He’s been here for close to a decade or ever since he got a special dispensation to play as a local with the Manila MetroStars in the Metropolitan Basketball Association.

After the MBA folded, Alex tried to join the PBA. But not being a Filipino, nor a Fil-Am, his request was denied. He joined the Philippine Basketball League instead and continued to knock on the PBA doors.

Finally, just before the start of the PBA Fiesta Conference, he was told that he could play as a Welcoat’s second import.

“Four days before Welcoat’s first game I was told that I could play,” said Compton. “My first thought was: That’s great, I finally get my dream of playing in the PBA. My second thought was: Oh God, I am so out of shape.”

Alex hadn’t played competitive basketball for nine months and was with Welcoat as an assistant coach. But after the past few weeks of intensive practice and PBA games, Alex was back on tip-top shape and finally realized his long cherish dream to play in the PBA and play with the very best.

Unknown to many, while still active in the PBL, Compton donated 20 percent of his salary to charitable institutions, one of them the Smokey Mountain Ministry that helps impoverished people in Tondo.

His features will prompt you to tell he is a Caucasian, but it’s half the truth. He projects an exuberance that distinguishes him as a gentleman, the epitome of a filipino male.

On the basketball court, he was a competitor who thrives in grace under pressure. Passionate in his profession, he was always all-out to get the best in his performance to get that victory.

Off the court, his heart is as big as his competitive spirit. He makes sure that he extend his hands to those who are less privileged, his constant and unwavering support for Pangarap Foundation has endeared him to the hearts of unfortunate under privileged filipino kids.

An American soul with a heart of a Filipino...

He's more of a Juan Dela Cruz with American Passport..
    Like what i've posted before.. he speaks tagalog more fluently compared to some legit fil-ams like Dorian Peña, Mick Pennisi, and some other questionable Fil-Ams..
    Practice makes perfect, but nobody's perfect, so why practice?

Comment

Originally posted by thugpinoy
      He's more of a Juan Dela Cruz with American Passport..
      Like what i've posted before.. he speaks tagalog more fluently compared to some legit fil-ams like Dorian Peña, Mick Pennisi, and some other questionable Fil-Ams..
      Sorry about your original thread, but I just hope it's not much of a trouble and not copyrighted.

But I should say that, whatever Mr. Compton is doing for the under privileged filipino kids, has to be of noble heart. Not like some of our corrupt politicians who even careless.

.......good thing michael jackson was not born in the Philippines, nor he a fil-am. Heaven's forbid, it could have been a thriller.....(Jarandan dan dan dan....)
      Last edited by dreamwalker; 10-06-2007, 03:23 AM.

Comment

haha

Hip hip hooray !!!

Comment

Yes to Con-Con and Charter Change...............its good for basketball if our constitution will be change and citizenship issue like this will be solved..................at least we have a chance from those pool of kids born here by foreign parents who knows if were lucky at least we can get a bunch of 7 footers..........(couples from Subic and Clark, the Christian Missionaries and Mormons and other preachers couple (Alex Compton is one), Diplomatic Corp, Peace Corp, Journalist, and some Ex-pat or foreigner worker with family status..at least some of this couple could have gave birth in our country).........Who knows?????????

Comment

his tagalog is more damn good than coach norman black.
            YOU MAKE ME FEEL SO BAD...

Comment

Originally posted by DaveMap2007
              Yes to Con-Con and Charter Change...............its good for basketball if our constitution will be change and citizenship issue like this will be solved..................at least we have a chance from those pool of kids born here by foreign parents who knows if were lucky at least we can get a bunch of 7 footers..........(couples from Subic and Clark, the Christian Missionaries and Mormons and other preachers couple (Alex Compton is one), Diplomatic Corp, Peace Corp, Journalist, and some Ex-pat or foreigner worker with family status..at least some of this couple could have gave birth in our country).........Who knows?????????
              yes agree!!!
              NEW ORLEANS HORNETS 2008

Comment

Originally posted by dreamwalker
                A brief profile of the man.....

Alexander M. Compton, born March 16, 1974 in Makati City, Philippines, a former standout of Cornell University; born to American professors J. Lin and Carol, both well-traveled couple. He practically grew up in the Philippines, learned and live like a normal filipino and shared a common passion for basketball.

Compton is most notably known for his years in the Metropolitan Basketball Association with the Manila Metrostars and the Batangas Blades. He won the 1999 MBA Most Valuable Player award when the Metrostars won the national title and also won another championship with the the Blades in 2001.

After the demise of the MBA, he moved to the Philippine Basketball League under an exception granted by the league. He played for the Blades, Sunkist-UST Tigers and the Montaña Pawnshop Jewels from 2002-2006. He led the Jewels to its only PBL crown in the 2005 PBL Open Championship.

In the 2006-07 PBA Philippine Cup, Compton was one of the assistant coaches of the Dragons before being allowed by the PBA to play as the team's second import for the 2007 PBA Fiesta Conference

Everybody knows all about Fil-Ams playing in the Philippine Basketball Association but Compton fondly calls himself a "Feel-Fil".

When asked: “No, I’m not a Fil-Am,” said Alex. “I’m actually just Feeling Filipino. I was born here in the country and I already feel like a Filipino from living here for so long.” Alex was born in the Philippines because his American parents were here during his birth. In most other countries, including the USA, that would have been enough to entitle citizenship. But we have stricter laws in the Philippines, which is why the state doesn't legally recognized him as Filipino. (I honestly believe, this law needs to be changed).

Most of us who doesn't know him personally and those people who are in the know that Alex speaks fluent tagalog and halting bisaya, both local dialects. He’s been here for close to a decade or ever since he got a special dispensation to play as a local with the Manila MetroStars in the Metropolitan Basketball Association.

After the MBA folded, Alex tried to join the PBA. But not being a Filipino, nor a Fil-Am, his request was denied. He joined the Philippine Basketball League instead and continued to knock on the PBA doors.

Finally, just before the start of the PBA Fiesta Conference, he was told that he could play as a Welcoat’s second import.

“Four days before Welcoat’s first game I was told that I could play,” said Compton. “My first thought was: That’s great, I finally get my dream of playing in the PBA. My second thought was: Oh God, I am so out of shape.”

Alex hadn’t played competitive basketball for nine months and was with Welcoat as an assistant coach. But after the past few weeks of intensive practice and PBA games, Alex was back on tip-top shape and finally realized his long cherish dream to play in the PBA and play with the very best.

Unknown to many, while still active in the PBL, Compton donated 20 percent of his salary to charitable institutions, one of them the Smokey Mountain Ministry that helps impoverished people in Tondo.

His features will prompt you to tell he is a Caucasian, but it’s half the truth. He projects an exuberance that distinguishes him as a gentleman, the epitome of a filipino male.

On the basketball court, he was a competitor who thrives in grace under pressure. Passionate in his profession, he was always all-out to get the best in his performance to get that victory.

Off the court, his heart is as big as his competitive spirit. He makes sure that he extend his hands to those who are less privileged, his constant and unwavering support for Pangarap Foundation has endeared him to the hearts of unfortunate under privileged filipino kids.

An American soul with a heart of a Filipino...
                yeah, I was only in elementary when compton led the blades for the championship...playing with adducul, ferriols, jun simon and eddie laure.
                He deserves to be in the PBA more than those JA-FAKE fil-ams from the US...
                NEW ORLEANS HORNETS 2008

Comment

Working...
                X

Debug Information