Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get into the PBA?

hi,
    im from Australia and both my parents are filo however i was born in australia and lived my whole life in australia, im 21 this year and was wondering what kind of process would i have to go thru to apply for the pba draft or apply for a pbl team...i dont plan on entering any time soon i was thinking of training and playing here in australia for a big v team or a nbl team for the next 2 years then if all things turn out well i would go to the phils to try myself out...big v is from what ive heard is similiar to pbl and nbl is equivalent if not better then pba... i doubt ill be able to make an nbl because its very competetive and there are many div 1 australians coming from america so i want to know my options with the pba are
    im a 6'1 pg/sg
    Last edited by ripcity; 09-24-2007, 05:43 AM.

can i ask what leagues have u've played in Australia and some stats??
    Play Cyberdunk: The best basketball you can play out side the NBA

Comment

i habnt played in any leagues yet well not any semi pro leagues but i played as a junior in melbourn tigers but they didint keep any stats when i was a junior, i just recently gotten back playin into basketball liek 1 yr ago cause i stoped for about 2 years been working out for about a yr now with melbourne uni big v squad ill be applyin for a position for there team at the end of the year. ive been training 6 days a week 3 days gym

just my main question is what kind of route would i be taking if i was interested and good enough to play in the pba

Comment

Originally posted by ripcity
        hi,
        im from Australia and both my parents are filo however i was born in australia and lived my whole life in australia, im 21 this year and was wondering what kind of process would i have to go thru to apply for the pba draft or apply for a pbl team...i dont plan on entering any time soon i was thinking of training and playing here in australia for a big v team or a nbl team for the next 2 years then if all things turn out well i would go to the phils to try myself out...big v is from what ive heard is similiar to pbl and nbl is equivalent if not better then pba... i doubt ill be able to make an nbl because its very competetive and there are many div 1 australians coming from america so i want to know my options with the pba are
        im a 6'1 pg/sg
        Hey bro... no offense but its better to play in Australia... aim for the Australian NBL not PBA... to make it better... go play in Europe.. the experience and the money you will get is much better than playing in the PBA... but if you got no choice... go to the PBA and show those guys that basketball is not just for entertainment ... Good luck!

sigpic

Comment

You might want to try out for a PBL team first. You can't get into the PBA unless you've played a certain number of games in the PBL or another local league like the MVBA or NBC.

Another option is to try out for a college team. This is assuming that you haven't finished college or played for a semi-pro team in Australia. Both are good ways to get noticed by local scouts.
          Keep running, big boy.

Comment

Originally posted by donmar
            Hey bro... no offense but its better to play in Australia... aim for the Australian NBL not PBA... to make it better... go play in Europe.. the experience and the money you will get is much better than playing in the PBA... but if you got no choice... go to the PBA and show those guys that basketball is not just for entertainment ... Good luck!
            well a bunch of fil-aussie tried in the PBL one of them i think the 6'6 Jason Grigg from Townsville try to apply for the draft back 2 yrs.....some fil-aussie guards played in the NBC.....most of them never made it to the PBA.....

Comment

Getting into the PBA isn't going to be easy for Fil-Foreigners these days, for a couple of reasons:

1) The country has a very active college basketball scene, & you'll be competing w/ local college players. The advantage of these local players, is that the coaches have seen what they can do out there on the court, as opposed to a Fil-foreigner, who is basically an unknown quality.

2) There are only 10 teams in the PBA, so there is are only very limited no. of openings or slots per year, ensuring that only the very best of the rookie pool will get to play in the league.

The best way for a Fil-foreigner to have a good shot of landing a job in the PBA, is to play, & EXCEL in the semi-professional league, which is the PBL. You need to be able to show what you can do in the local leagues first, before the Coaches can even consider you for drafting into the PBA.

Your performance in the PBL will likely determine your future in the PBA. If you perform well, then expect a good chance of landing a job in the PBA. But if not, then it's not likely that you will be picked.
              Philippine Football News on Facebook

rhk111's Military and Arms Page

Comment

yow..play in australia. if you play good in your league, then the basketball officials will discover you. just it. ^_^
                YOU MAKE ME FEEL SO BAD...

Comment

thanks everyone for your comments

does any one know much about daryl pepito? he entered the pba draft 2007 i read in some blogs he was one of the best players that didnt get drafted he actually plays in the highest league in Australia besides nbl he plays in ABA waratah theres some decent bench nbl players in that league a few div 1 players from america and a few junior college players aswell

Comment

you should try working out with an NBL team for 2-3 years then try your luck in the PBL for a year. or you may directly apply for the PBL draft next year because you don't have time for this year since it will be happening anytime soon. playing in the PBL will give the scout ample time to evaluate your game if you are valuable or not. so when you play in the PBL, play your hearts out since you will be a bigger guy at 6'3" playing PG/SG. you will be playing against 6'1" or less than that because 6'3" guys might be playing as SF, PF or center.
                    "There are only three kinds of mathematicians: those who can count, and those who can not."

Ana "The Hurricane" Julaton - 1st Filipino Female Boxer Double Word Champion.

Comment

Originally posted by ankle breaker
                      you should try working out with an NBL team for 2-3 years then try your luck in the PBL for a year. or you may directly apply for the PBL draft next year because you don't have time for this year since it will be happening anytime soon. playing in the PBL will give the scout ample time to evaluate your game if you are valuable or not. so when you play in the PBL, play your hearts out since you will be a bigger guy at 6'3" playing PG/SG. you will be playing against 6'1" or less than that because 6'3" guys might be playing as SF, PF or center.
                      im just scared im too old when i get to the phils, i look at joe devance and other pba players like fil ams they generally get drafted at 24...is 25 too old to enter the draft???

Comment

Originally posted by ripcity
                        im just scared im too old when i get to the phils, i look at joe devance and other pba players like fil ams they generally get drafted at 24...is 25 too old to enter the draft???

PBA has a rule players must be 23 years old to be eligible. So maybe when u get drafted at 22 yrs old u must be @ 23 b4 the PBA season starts. (correct me if i'm wrong..)
                        Mabuhay Team Pilipinas!

Comment

Originally posted by Onizuka01
                          PBA has a rule players must be 23 years old to be eligible. So maybe when u get drafted at 22 yrs old u must be @ 23 b4 the PBA season starts. (correct me if i'm wrong..)

I do not think that its true because last year LA Tenorio and Jay R Reyes at age 22 start their career in the PBA. Same goes with Marvin Cruz of Air 21, who would be turning 22 yrs.old on December 30, 2007. The PBA Rule of 23 yrs.old and above are granted to those players that are not yet finished or completed their collegiate education.

Comment

Philippine Basketball Association.
                            186 E. Rodriquez Jr. Avenue, Libis, Q.C.
                            Telephone No. 6381815, 6381816, 6381817 Fax No. 6347584
                            "There are only three kinds of mathematicians: those who can count, and those who can not."

Ana "The Hurricane" Julaton - 1st Filipino Female Boxer Double Word Champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebron23
                              I do not think that its true because last year LA Tenorio and Jay R Reyes at age 22 start their career in the PBA. Same goes with Marvin Cruz of Air 21, who would be turning 22 yrs.old on December 30, 2007. The PBA Rule of 23 yrs.old and above are granted to those players that are not yet finished or completed their collegiate education.
                              College players that graduated ON TIME can apply without a problem in the 23 year old rule.....so even a 21 yr old is eligible with a diploma to show.....Kerby Raymundo on his rookie year didnt finish college

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information