3. Ateneo De Manila Blue Eagles 7-4
    4. University of Santo Tomas Growling Tigers 7-5

My prediction

1. UE Red Warriors - 13-1
    2. Dela Salle Green Archers 10-4
    3. UST Growling Tigers - 9-5
    4. ADMU Blue Eagles- 9-5

Season 70 Individual Awards

With only a few games written on the pages of UAAP Season 70 history, the UAAP saw some early upstarts, ones who are doing extremely well that they will surely be candidates at the Most Valuable Player award if it were awarded today.

Their strong performances in their first games, if they maintain it, may very well buy them a bid at a shot at the most coveted prize for an individual in the league.

Here are the top players from this UAAP Season

Most Valuable Player of the Year: Jerby Cruz, UST Growling Tigers

2007 UAAP Stats

16.7 PPG, 15.4 RPG, 1.2 APG, 1.4BPG, Efficiency Rating: 25.1

UAAP Season 70 Mythical 1st team

1. Center, Jerby Cruz-

He is the most dominant player in this years tournament, the 6'5 powerhouse is leading the UAAP in the rebounding department with an average of 15.4 RPG and currently 3rd in scoring behind Patrick Cabahug's 21.0 PPG and Jonathan Fernandez 17.1 Clips in the tournament. The Sophomore Tigers also impressed alot of scouts this year by consistently averaging a double double in the 1st and 2nd round of the Season. He is one of the main reason the Tigers are probably making it to the Final four for the 2nd consecutive season and are ready to defend their UAAP Championship, which they won againts Ateneo last year.

2. Small Forward, Edwin Asoro- the 4th year UAAP veteran is having yet another remarkable season, averaging a double-double perfomance this season. Asoro is the prototype forward of the UAAP, who can do all the job on the floor so that he can be both productive in both side of the game.

2007 UAAP Stats

12.8 PPG, 10.5 RPG, 1.4 APG, 1.5 SPG, 1.7 BPG

3. Power Forward, Mark Borboran- one of the oldest player in the UAAP roster, the 6'4 Mark Borboran is one of the main reason that the UE RED Warriors are on a roll going for a sweep in this season by winning all the game in the elimination round and currently they are on top of the standings with 12 wins -0 loses. Among all the players from UE he is probably the most consistent scorer and rebounder so far.

2007 UAAP Stats

11.1 PPG, 5.2 RPG, 1.7 APG, 0.7 BPG, 1 SPG

4. Shooting Guard, Patrick Jan Cabahug- although the Adamson Falcons are one of the worst team in the Tournament due to the departure of Ace big men Ken Bono, who was drafted by the Alaska Aces in last months PBA Rookie Draft. PJ Cabahug prove that he is the main man of this team by leading the league in scoring with career average of 22.3 PPG.

The 22 yrs.old gunner from Cebu is one of the most exciting player in the UAAP today. He can shoot from the outside and can also penetrate inside the lane with his athletic ability.

2007 UAAP Stats

22.3 PPG, 8.0 RPG, 1 APG, 0.3 BPG, 0.7 SPG, Efficiency Rating: 16.8

5. Point Guard- JV Casio- there is no denying that whenever he steps on the hardcourt, the pace of the game will certainly heat up. He is certainly one of the best Point Guard in the UAAP today. After Lasalle came back from a one year suspension. The 5'9 Casio start to put some memorable game in the 1st round of the tournament.

Currently he is averaging 15.2 PPG, 3.9 RPG, 3.3 APG, 0.2 BPG and 1.2 SPG, he almost put an amazing triple double perfomance againts the NU Bullddogs last weekend with mind boggling numbers of 19 Points, 9 rebound and 8 assists. This officially confirmed that since LA Tenorio and Marvin Cruz are gone from the UAAP that means JV Casio is the best Point Guard today.

Honorable lists

C- Ford Arao
    F- Rico Maierhofer
    F- Jonathan Fernandez
    G- Marcy Arellano
    G- TY Tang

Defensive Player of the Year: Edwin Asoro, NU

This is one tough award to give out. No one in this current season has really stood out as a defensive presence just the same as he did it last year. In fact, I could also give this out to the , Mark Borboran of UE RED Warriors, or even my pick for MVP Super Sophomore Jervy Cruz of the UST Tigers. However, I’m tossing a coin (if there’s a four-sided coin, then I’m tossing that as well) and say Asoro wins it this year.

Sure, the Bulldogs are once again, in the bottom of the standings, but Asoro has been doing it all for his team this year that his name appears in the top ten of blocks, rebounds and steals. Throw in that he’s also in the top ten in points, and you can see an all-around player who tries his best offensively and defensively to carry the Bulldogs to the final four.

New Comer of the year: Khasim Mirza, UST

The 6'5 Khasim Mirza would win this hands-down. This season has shown us many promising rookies like FEU's JR Cawaling, Ateneo's Kirk Long and but none as dominating and significant as starter Khasim Mirza. Just look at what he’s done in his rookie year: top 10 in points, league leader in 3 pts. percentage, and averaging 11.8 points,3.7 rebounds, 0.2 blocks while sporting only 2.2 turnovers. He has been nailing those mid-range jumpers as if the hoop was two feet away. Often reliable at the rainbow, he helped the Tigers out of some tight spots, and open up the middle with his shooting for their big guys to operate in.

Most Improve Player of the Year: Ford Arao of the ADMU Blue Eagles,

No one expected Ford Arao to perform well this UAAP Season since both JC Intal and Doug Kramers departure in the UAAP really hurts the frontline of the Ateneo Blue Eagles. The former NCAA Juniors MVP show some major improvement this season as he become one of the focal points of the offense of the resurging Blue Eagles. The 6'6 Arao is leading Ateneo in scoring with 13.3 PPG, 5.8 RPG, 1.2 APG and 0.2 BPG, he is no longer the bondying of the UAAP but this year he is definitely one of the best bigmen of UAAP Season 70.

Coach of the Year: Pido Jarencio, UST Growling Tigers

With one year of experience tucked under his belt, Pido Jarencio spearheaded the surge of the UST Growling Tigers from the sidelines, and turned this team into a faster, more aggressive and more team-oriented squad despite the significant drop of talent with the departure of star Ace Shooting guard Jojo Duncil , star Forward Allan Evangelista , clutch shooter Jemal Viscarra,No one would’ve thought that UST would win, and even threatened to make it in the entire pre-final four. The Tigers are currently in 4th place with 7 wins and 5 loses. They are currently the best 3 pts. shooting team in the UAAP and also lead the league in total number of rebounds this season.

Pido prepared these guys well for this season, and I would not be surprised if they win it all this year.

Lebron23
    Last edited by Lebron23; 09-14-2007, 07:57 AM.

UE to win it all; Jervy Cruz as MVP and Mirza as rookie of the year.
    SMART GILAS: all the way

Comment

This 6'4" Khasim Mirza guy of UST I can say, is one heck of a shooter... very promising... In fact, if RP NT wants a taller Renren Ritualo in the future, then he might be the guy they're looking for...

Comment

well for me it has got to be :

1. UE - 14-0 (straight to the championship)
        2. DLSU (lost to ue in the final in 3 games)
        3. UST (3rd place)

top players :

mythical 5

1. JV Casio (DLSU)
        2. Patrick Cabahug (ADU)
        3. Mark Borboran (UE)
        4. Edwin Asoro (NU)
        5. Jervy Cruz (UST)

MVP - Jervy Cruz (UST) - Best in the league,all around game!!!

NewComer of the year - Paul John Lee (UE) - Hes my idol!!! best SIXTHMAN!

Most Improved Player - Claifford Arao (ADMU) ----> tho i dont like him..

Coach of the year - Dindo Pumaren (UE) - 14-0(hanging tho) shld be the one

MBP (Most Bano Player) - catamora and luy from NU!!!

MHP (Most Handsome Player) - Andy Barroca (FEU)

PCR (Prettiest Courtside Reporter) - Tracy Abad ,Sharon Yu,Andi Manzano

Comment

Originally posted by bolabasket
          UE to win it all; Jervy Cruz as MVP and Mirza as rookie of the year.
          Based on UAAP rules, Kasim Mirza is ineligible to win the Rookie of the Year award because he a transferee from World Citi Colleges. The ROY is only bestowed on "true" freshmen, meaning those who graduated from high school in March immediately before the current UAAP season. Players who spent a year or two in the school's reserve pool and transferees are disqualified. This unless the UAAP Board has for the nth time amended its rules!
          Servinio's FACEBOOK Fan Club
          Servinio's Blog of Sports
          Servinio's Official YouTube channel
          Servinio's Official TWITTER account
          Servinio's Official Instagram account

Comment

For me it has gotta be Paul Lee compared to Mirza hes more of an all around player and more efficient. playing minutes compare to his scores..Mirza just getting more playing time while lee is just coming off the bench on a strong ue five and still average 8.8 points in 15.5 min of play..here are the stats comparison :

Lee : 15.5 min - 8.8 pts - 4.2 rebs - 1.4 asts - 0.8 stls - 1.5 to - 2 fls
            Mirza : 21.8min - 11.8 pts - 3.7 rebs - 1.2 asts - 0.1 stls - 2.2 to - 2.5 fls

Lee (6'0 ft)
            ups: great all around skills - good 3pt shooter, good midrange shooter, good freethrow shooter, great one on one skills(killer crossover), good footwork,good rebounding skills,great open court player,great slashing capabilities,good peripheral vision,good defensive player...
            down: tendency to be turnover prone

Mirza (6'3 or 6'4)
            ups: good height for a 2guard, great 3pt shooter, good midrange shooter,decent post-up moves, good one on one skills,good slashing capabilities,good defensive player
            downs: bad freethrow shooter,footwork

i think this two will gotta be getting more better the next years more than cawaling and long..cawaling need to improve hes footwork and ball handling skills in order to be a great guard he's expected to be and for long,hmm.i think he has some thing in him that can make him a great player but not the one that can be a superstar in LEE and MIRZA

Comment

Originally posted by Servinio
              Based on UAAP rules, Kasim Mirza is ineligible to win the Rookie of the Year award because he a transferee from World Citi Colleges. The ROY is only bestowed on "true" freshmen, meaning those who graduated from high school in March immediately before the current UAAP season. Players who spent a year or two in the school's reserve pool and transferees are disqualified. This unless the UAAP Board has for the nth time amended its rules!

aww,i know..LEBRON23 and i just qouted it as newcomer of the year since we know that mirza and as far as i know lee is not eligible anymore..or is lee still avalable cz hes a reserve i ue last year?if hes not anymore then itll be a race between GAMBOA (UP) & CAWALING (FEU) & LONG (ADMU)

Comment

Originally posted by YinkaDare
                aww,i know..LEBRON23 and i just qouted it as newcomer of the year since we know that mirza and as far as i know lee is not eligible anymore..or is lee still avalable cz hes a reserve i ue last year?if hes not anymore then itll be a race between GAMBOA (UP) & CAWALING (FEU) & LONG (ADMU)
                Under the so-called "Jai Reyes Rule", Paul Lee of UE is disqualified since he spent his first year in the reserve pool.

Looking at the Final Four teams rosters, UE has no ROY candidate, ditto with UST. Ateneo has Kirk Long and Bacon Austria and La Salle has Ferdinand as their eligibles. JR Cawaling's fortunes will depend on how far FEU goes in the season. Mike Gamboa could pull off a surprise but we have to consider his team's poor performance.

Take note that aside from game statistics, the UAAP employs the use of player and media votes in its annual awards and this is a very big factor to consider!
                Servinio's FACEBOOK Fan Club
                Servinio's Blog of Sports
                Servinio's Official YouTube channel
                Servinio's Official TWITTER account
                Servinio's Official Instagram account

Comment

Originally posted by Servinio
                  Under the so-called "Jai Reyes Rule", Paul Lee of UE is disqualified since he spent his first year in the reserve pool.

Looking at the Final Four teams rosters, UE has no ROY candidate, ditto with UST. Ateneo has Kirk Long and Bacon Austria and La Salle has Ferdinand as their eligibles. JR Cawaling's fortunes will depend on how far FEU goes in the season. Mike Gamboa could pull off a surprise but we have to consider his team's poor performance.

Take note that aside from game statistics, the UAAP employs the use of player and media votes in its annual awards and this is a very big factor to consider!
                  Aww, i know..i guess itll be just a race for the 3 guys LONG, CAWALING & GAMBOA..

may i just know who are your picks in every awards given?

thanks

Comment

Predictions:

Final 4:

UE
                    La Salle
                    UST
                    FEU

Champs: UE although I root for UST
                    Finals MVP: Mark Borboran

MVP: Jervy Cruz (no doubt!)
                    MIP: Claifford Arao
                    ROY: JR Cawaling --> some say he plays like Arwind Santos but he's more JC Intal to me (aside from his looks)
                    DPOY: Edwin Asoro

Comment

Originally posted by RayV
                      ROY: JR Cawaling --> some say he plays like Arwind Santos but he's more JC Intal to me (aside from his looks)

Panalo FEU 72 -70 NU

ang galing ni JR Cawaling definitely he is the future of our National team.

21 Points, 3 rebounds and 5 assists, he is the prototypical tall PG and this young man has the talent to be someday become the best UAAP player of this generation.
                      Last edited by Lebron23; 09-09-2007, 10:40 AM.

Comment

panao si khasim mirza???

Comment

Originally posted by jesronne
                          panao si khasim mirza???
                          he hasn't won anything yet and he aint going to the ROY award he's 'cause ineligible for that and speak english please
                          you know why I am happy

Comment

Just curious..
                            Where they've spotted JR Cawaling??
                            FEU is known for their local talent " silip "
                            the likes of Arwind Santos, Ogie Avenido, RJ Rizada, Marc Pingris, Robin Mendoza, Celino Cruz, Christian Nicdao, etc...
                            Practice makes perfect, but nobody's perfect, so why practice?

Comment

Originally posted by thugpinoy
                              Just curious..
                              Where they've spotted JR Cawaling??
                              FEU is known for their local talent " silip "
                              the likes of Arwind Santos, Ogie Avenido, RJ Rizada, Marc Pingris, Robin Mendoza, Celino Cruz, Christian Nicdao, etc...

JR Cawaling was originally a member of the Junior Team which is the FEU FERN but last year at the age of 15/16 yrs.old, he was already elevated as a member of the FEU Tamaraws Team B so that they can hide him from scouts, who might actually offer him a contract to play for the rival university.

Anyway, Cawaling has impressed me lately a few years of training and perseverance. We can actually witness one of the most complete guard in the history of the UAAP.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information