X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SEA Games Basketball

(Talking in the context of basketball)

The SEA Games is overrated.

Why do we need to do a "Shock and Awe" thing at the SEA games? Everybody already knows we're the strongest in the region. 50 point massacres won't even help us but only help them (the competetion).

The SEA Games doesn't even count when calculating the FIBA rankings (Even the Asian games!). Therefore, us winning it, well, let's put it this way: it doesn't really matter. All these fuss about the Harbour Center team trying to get PBA players just for it simply shows shortsightedness.

We should use these tourneys instead to try and develop our young players. Our U19 or U22 teams would benefit greatly playing against older players in the region, and would also help in them knowing each other and developing teamwork in the case of them graduating into the senior ranks. During 1993 we sent a team composed of collegiate players, and we should follow that formula.

Heck, the way the UE collegiate squad is playing now, I reckon they'd win the SEA Games if the whole team competed in it.

Hopefully the team will eventually be composed of players from the amateur ranks. And with people that actually have potential. Not also-rans (and practically oldies already) like Gaco, Alonzo, Salangsang etc.

If it was up to me I'd put a collegiate lineup against the region and see how they fair. Something like this (just from memory):

C Al-Hussaini 6'7 (ADMU)
    C Gregorio 6'6 (UE)

F Maierhoffer 6'4 (DLSU)
    F Baclao 6'4 (ADMU)
    F Borboran 6'3 (UE)
    F Cruz 6'3 (UST)
    F Cawaling 6'3 (FEU)
    F Ababou 6'1 (UST)

G Cabahug 6'1 (Adamson)
    G Dela Pena 6'0 (Mapua)
    G Escobal 5'11 (SBC)
    G Casio 5'8 (DLSU)

agree

Comment

I also agree...
      yes lord bless our RP5....

Comment

how about 6'7/6'6 ballesteros form ssc i heard he is good and very productive these days, even more productive than al-hussaini

Comment

Center - Slaughter - Gregorio - Arao
          Forward - Cruz - Woody Co - Borboran - Mirza
          Guard - Castro - Norwood - Cabahug - Escobal - Lanete
          #parasabayan
          #GoGilas

Comment

why not get some good visayan collegiate cagers...6'8' Berame of UV is good and athletic but he needs exposure and experience to polish his skills...

Comment

Originally posted by gtrek
              why not get some good visayan collegiate cagers...6'8' Berame of UV is good and athletic but he needs exposure and experience to polish his skills...
              yep, get those players from the provinces, let them play in sea games. we'll see how they respond, and at the same time learn a few tricks from old timers

Comment

it's just a matter of who's bankrolling the team..it's Mikee Romero's call for whatever development he has in mind for the SEAG-bound team. and it aint "EASY" to field youngsters as of now for the team simply because it aint OFF-SEASON yet for the amateur leagues, making players unavailable for training. we should let go of Harbour Center for now, let them do their business, the RP Youth team doesn't have any existing people at helm, even Coach Franz Pumaren doesn't have a contingent at hand, everything is on concepts and the approach has been proactive so far.
                It's ironic to see limited efforts from players with maximum salary.
                I wish they would apply "sabermetrics" in those financially challenged PBA teams to acquire players who are value for their money.

Comment

Originally posted by gtrek
                  6"11 slaughter good international exposure for him...
                  NEW ORLEANS HORNETS 2008

Comment

Originally posted by MkVoid

Why do we need to do a "Shock and Awe" thing at the SEA games? Everybody already knows we're the strongest in the region. 50 point massacres won't even help us but only help them (the competetion).

The SEA Games doesn't even count when calculating the FIBA rankings (Even the Asian games!). Therefore, us winning it, well, let's put it this way: it doesn't really matter. All these fuss about the Harbour Center team trying to get PBA players just for it simply shows shortsightedness.

We should use these tourneys instead to try and develop our young players. Our U19 or U22 teams would benefit greatly playing against older players in the region, and would also help in them knowing each other and developing teamwork in the case of them graduating into the senior ranks. During 1993 we sent a team composed of collegiate players, and we should follow that formula.

Heck, the way the UE collegiate squad is playing now, I reckon they'd win the SEA Games if the whole team competed in it.

Hopefully the team will eventually be composed of players from the amateur ranks. And with people that actually have potential. Not also-rans (and practically oldies already) like Gaco, Alonzo, Salangsang etc.

If it was up to me I'd put a collegiate lineup against the region and see how they fair. Something like this (just from memory):

C Al-Hussaini 6'7 (ADMU)
                    C Gregorio 6'6 (UE)

F Maierhoffer 6'4 (DLSU)
                    F Baclao 6'4 (ADMU)
                    F Borboran 6'3 (UE)
                    F Cruz 6'3 (UST)
                    F Cawaling 6'3 (FEU)
                    F Ababou 6'1 (UST)

G Cabahug 6'1 (Adamson)
                    G Dela Pena 6'0 (Mapua)
                    G Escobal 5'11 (SBC)
                    G Casio 5'8 (DLSU)
                    I'm very really really agree that! I thought expected all collegiate plus highschool mvps in sea games. The competition in sea games are very weaker therefore we should sending a younger for future int'l exposure.

The competitive level like: USA vs. all Asian teams...

Comment

Originally posted by MkVoid

C Al-Hussaini 6'7 (ADMU)
                      C Gregorio 6'6 (UE)

F Maierhoffer 6'4 (DLSU)
                      F Baclao 6'4 (ADMU)
                      F Borboran 6'3 (UE)
                      F Cruz 6'3 (UST)
                      F Cawaling 6'3 (FEU)
                      F Ababou 6'1 (UST)

G Cabahug 6'1 (Adamson)
                      G Dela Pena 6'0 (Mapua)
                      G Escobal 5'11 (SBC)
                      G Casio 5'8 (DLSU)
                      Why don't we add Sam Ekwe and Greg Slaughter in your line up

Comment

Working...
                      X

Debug Information