Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BAP-SBP to bid for Major FIBA Events

Name the price!

With these words coming from no less than BAP-Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (BAP-SBP) president Manny Pangilinan, the Philippines is embarking on a long-term program aimed at boosting the country's chances in the international arena following San Miguel-Team Pilipinas' heartbreaking exit in Tokushima, Japan recently.

And a new, more long-term program is currently being set up by the BAP-SBP, wth Pangilinan calling it a “national mission.”

According to BAP-SBP executive director Patrick Gregorio, the country is forming an under-18 team that will at least form the core for the Nationals' bids for international tournaments from next year on to the 2012 London Olympics.

“With coach Franz Pumaren leading the way, we are currently in the process of identifying the junior players who will form our national pool,” Gregorio yesterday said.

Patrick Gregorio has also been given the go-signal by Pangilinan to bid for said Asian junior tournament as well as the 2009 qualifier for the World Championship in Turkey the following year.

“Fiba-Asia has given me a verbal advisory to be among the first to bid for next year's juniors. But it is in the 2009 Worlds qualifier we're really after,” Gregorio said.

“I've learned that unlike in the Olympics, where only two slots are given Asia, three Asian slots are up for grabs in the Worlds. In other words, a greater chance to qualify there.”

The entire program is in line with Pangilinan's directive following a disappointing finish by San Miguel-Pilipinas in the recent Fiba-Asia tilt in Tokushima, Japan. After being bracketed in what RP coach Chot Reyes said as the “Group of Death,” the Nationals wound up ninth.

That put an end to the country's quest for an Olympic return next year in Beijing. The Filipinos last took part in Olympic basketball in 1972.

To avoid a repeat of such a catastrophe, Pangilinan ordered Gregorio to bid for the 2009 qualifier, “no matter what the cost.”

“It is time to start from scratch and make new plans,” said Pangilinan during last Sunday's PBA Press Corps Awards Night where he was the guest of honor and keynote speaker.

Pangilinan's vision, which includes the 2011 Fiba-Asia Championship, the regional qualifier for the London Olympics the following year, is all geared to the London Olympics and he added the BAP-SBP and the entire country should act as one for these missions because of the Filipinos' inherent passion for basketball.

“Basketball seems Quixotic, a fool's dream, even a nightmare,” he noted. “But the fact is Filipinos have, since time immemorial, been in love with basketball.

“And if we love our people, if we respect their desires and want them to achieve their dreams and not disappoint them, I see no choice but for us to support basketball.”

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

at least, no more sweet and wishful thinkings..action speaks louder than words for our basketball officials right now.. God bless to their plans!
    It's ironic to see limited efforts from players with maximum salary.
    I wish they would apply "sabermetrics" in those financially challenged PBA teams to acquire players who are value for their money.

That is the kind of change in Philippine Basketball that we have been missing in many years.

Comment

If we can successfully host host the said FIBA events it will likely increase our chances of hosting the 2020 or 2024 olympics.

Comment

Wow, BAP-SBP is really on the run to make improvements for the Philippine Basketball. This is really a good start so that our young cagers will be used in the nature and rules of international basketball games.
        Last edited by javasandreen; 08-15-2007, 06:38 AM.

Comment

agree with you javasandreen....
          SMART GILAS: all the way

Comment

Pangilinan's vision, which includes the 2011 Fiba-Asia Championship, the regional qualifier for the London Olympics the following year, is all geared to the London Olympics and he added the BAP-SBP and the entire country should act as one for these missions because of the Filipinos' inherent passion for basketball.

“Basketball seems Quixotic, a fool's dream, even a nightmare,” he noted. “But the fact is Filipinos have, since time immemorial, been in love with basketball.

“And if we love our people, if we respect their desires and want them to achieve their dreams and not disappoint them, I see no choice but for us to support basketball.”

--------------------------------------------

Strong words from a REAL basketball lover and a REAL businessman. Anyway, why should they gamble much on a sport that aren't getting much following?

So for MVP, I hope that his gamble in BADMINTON and BASKETBALL will bring fruits not only to his bank accounts, but also to the sports' growth. We should be happy that we have businessmen like MVP and Cojuangco.
            Please visit -->THE IGNORED GENIUS

Comment

Progress progress... Brace yourselves!

Comment

Originally posted by saints13
                Name the price!

With these words coming from no less than BAP-Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (BAP-SBP) president Manny Pangilinan, the Philippines is embarking on a long-term program aimed at boosting the country's chances in the international arena following San Miguel-Team Pilipinas' heartbreaking exit in Tokushima, Japan recently.

And a new, more long-term program is currently being set up by the BAP-SBP, wth Pangilinan calling it a “national mission.”

According to BAP-SBP executive director Patrick Gregorio, the country is forming an under-18 team that will at least form the core for the Nationals' bids for international tournaments from next year on to the 2012 London Olympics.

“With coach Franz Pumaren leading the way, we are currently in the process of identifying the junior players who will form our national pool,” Gregorio yesterday said.

Patrick Gregorio has also been given the go-signal by Pangilinan to bid for said Asian junior tournament as well as the 2009 qualifier for the World Championship in Turkey the following year.

“Fiba-Asia has given me a verbal advisory to be among the first to bid for next year's juniors. But it is in the 2009 Worlds qualifier we're really after,” Gregorio said.

“I've learned that unlike in the Olympics, where only two slots are given Asia, three Asian slots are up for grabs in the Worlds. In other words, a greater chance to qualify there.”

The entire program is in line with Pangilinan's directive following a disappointing finish by San Miguel-Pilipinas in the recent Fiba-Asia tilt in Tokushima, Japan. After being bracketed in what RP coach Chot Reyes said as the “Group of Death,” the Nationals wound up ninth.

That put an end to the country's quest for an Olympic return next year in Beijing. The Filipinos last took part in Olympic basketball in 1972.

To avoid a repeat of such a catastrophe, Pangilinan ordered Gregorio to bid for the 2009 qualifier, “no matter what the cost.”

“It is time to start from scratch and make new plans,” said Pangilinan during last Sunday's PBA Press Corps Awards Night where he was the guest of honor and keynote speaker.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

at least, no more sweet and wishful thinkings..action speaks louder than words for our basketball officials right now.. God bless to their plans!
                talking about putting your money where your heart is, MVP is the man. he's committing not just for next year or 2 years, he's committing for a lot longer than anybody ever has, along with a lot of cash and a lot of heart. I hope we get to host the 2009 qualifier for the 2010 world basketball championships. who knows, maybe 4 years from now, we will have a team that is mature enough and by that time will have played with each other for years already. maybe we can surprise a few, even ourselves, and qualify for london 2012.

Comment

if we win the bid for FIBA asia 2010...i designed a slogan for it...check out my sig the pic on the right...
                  NEW ORLEANS HORNETS 2008

Comment

if we host the tounament.. then its tym to attack the coliseum... booing yao and co. and throw some c2 bottles.. hehe.. just kiddin.. but the homecrowd still hav an advantage,, it's lyk a other country vs ginebra in finals... wer all fans are cheering for ginebra.. hehe..
                    LABAN PILIPINAS!

Comment

Originally posted by JET007
                      if we win the bid for FIBA asia 2010...i designed a slogan for it...check out my sig the pic on the right...

There is no FIBA-Asia 2010, the Asian championships will be on 2009 and 2011. The 2009 FIBA-Asia Championship will be the qualifier for the 2010 WBC while the 2011 FIBA-Asia Championship will be the qualifier for the 2012 Olympics.

Comment

Originally posted by JET007
                        dude it's a nice slogan but change it to 2009
                        PRO DEO ET PATRIA (in the service of God and Country)

Comment

Originally posted by rycorpz
                          dude it's a nice slogan but change it to 2009
                          they've just awaken it's not possible to recapture a lost glory and crown and I wouldn't mind if our beloved National team can duplicate or overachieve (1954 FIBA world 3rd place) the past accomplishments of our Team Pilipinas maybe in 2014 FIBA world and 2016 Olympics
                          PRO DEO ET PATRIA (in the service of God and Country)

Comment

I hope we win the bid. My only concern is that interest for the national team in terms of the number of people watching the game live might be lukewarm. The Manila Invitationals was not greatly patronized. Probably the entrance fee is too expensive that the venues are not filled to capacity and I think a promo like the "give me 5" might help pack the venue.
                            "Life is like chess; an art and a struggle."

Comment

Originally posted by ctongco
                              There is no FIBA-Asia 2010, the Asian championships will be on 2009 and 2011. The 2009 FIBA-Asia Championship will be the qualifier for the 2010 WBC while the 2011 FIBA-Asia Championship will be the qualifier for the 2012 Olympics.
                              hehehe...thanks bro...my bad...papalitan ko mamaya
                              trans: its changing later
                              GO PILIPINAS 2009!!!(i'm graduating in that year also...)
                              NEW ORLEANS HORNETS 2008

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information