Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are superior big men more valuable that superior guards in the Philippines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are superior big men more valuable that superior guards in the Philippines?

In the NBA most of the championship teams are anchored by a great big man like the Russell's Celtics, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's Lakers, Shaq's Lakers, Duncan's Spurs and Mikan's Lakers. In Philippine context which is more valuable for a team's championship aspiration? Why? I am just wondering. Please post your ideas. Thanks.
    "Life is like chess; an art and a struggle."

duh?.................

Comment

during the early days of Marlou Aquino, he was really a factor for the Ginebra San Miguel and Gordon's Gin. and also when Asi came into the PBA, just went short in the playoffs round, losing to a Bal David perimeter bomba shot and the bottom dweller Ginebra spoiled Asi's AFC debut.
      It's ironic to see limited efforts from players with maximum salary.
      I wish they would apply "sabermetrics" in those financially challenged PBA teams to acquire players who are value for their money.

Comment

Superior big men are always more valuable than superior guards, no matter the setting, NBA, FIBA, PBA, CBA etc. Iran has Ehadadi, Spurs has Duncan, Lakers and Heat has Shaq. Look at the teams with superior guards only, how far can they go? Sun, GW, RP team, Syria with Madanly, no where near the championship. Superior big men is and will always be more valuable than guards, unless you are not talking about basketball.
        You can't teach height, but you can teach skills. Once a tall big man learned the skills, he will always be better than other player who has the same skills but short in stature.
        Crouchy 1 : Durden 0, IUHL 0, roadtolondon 0, batman, 0, azrael 0, beastly 0

Comment

Originally posted by saints13
          during the early days of Marlou Aquino, he was really a factor for the Ginebra San Miguel and Gordon's Gin. and also when Asi came into the PBA, just went short in the playoffs round, losing to a Bal David perimeter bomba shot and the bottom dweller Ginebra spoiled Asi's AFC debut.
          I agree. Even Ron Jacobs said that Marlou would the one of the best big men to over play in the PBA if he put his mind into it. He is in cruise control most of the time.

Comment

as of now...HECK YEAH!!!
            NEW ORLEANS HORNETS 2008

Comment

Originally posted by crouchingtiger
              Superior big men are always more valuable than superior guards, no matter the setting, NBA, FIBA, PBA, CBA etc. Iran has Ehadadi, Spurs has Duncan, Lakers and Heat has Shaq. Look at the teams with superior guards only, how far can they go? Sun, GW, RP team, Syria with Madanly, no where near the championship. Superior big men is and will always be more valuable than guards, unless you are not talking about basketball.
              You can't teach height, but you can teach skills. Once a tall big man learned the skills, he will always be better than other player who has the same skills but short in stature.
              I agree. I am biased with bigs but RP doesn't product enough quality bigs. If I am not mistaken most of the championship teams in the PBA have quality guards/wingmen. Asi has only won 1 or 2 championships in the PBA eventhough he is considered the most dominant pure center ever to play in the PBA.

Comment

Originally posted by JET007
                as of now...HECK YEAH!!!
                if it's for national team then big men are a premium. Do good big men in the Philippines (PBA, UAAP, NCAA, PBL and NBC) win more championships than the good guards?

Comment

actually its hard to be a formidable team if you dont have a good center and a good guard...

big mens are really important.. i can't mention any team who won a championship w/out a GOOD bigman..
                  LABAN PILIPINAS!

Comment

It has always been the guards in RP.. most teams putting in 3 guards at the same time.. This should be change make those guards play Center and make those bigmen "Centers" play into guards..
                    Mabuhay Team Pilipinas!

Comment

Let me rephrase the question then... Would franchise caliber big men win you more championships that franchise cornerstone guards?

Comment

Originally posted by aklanarcher
                        Let me rephrase the question then... Would franchise caliber big men win you more championships that franchise cornerstone guards?
                        Ask Jun Limpot

back in 1993, he was big man with a big deal til the late 90's, but what did he got, 0 championships. he only got his championship in Purefoods, wherein Kerby Raymundo, James Yap, Roger Yap and Marc Pingris did all the job.
                        I wish they would apply "sabermetrics" in those financially challenged PBA teams to acquire players who are value for their money.

Comment

Originally posted by saints13
                          Ask Jun Limpot

back in 1993, he was big man with a big deal til the late 90's, but what did he got, 0 championships. he only got his championship in Purefoods, wherein Kerby Raymundo, James Yap, Roger Yap and Marc Pingris did all the job.
                          Eric Menk also didn't win first championship until he was traded to Ginebra. Mon Fernandez and Alvin led their team to multiple titles though. Hmmm....

Comment

a big man will never win a Championship if he's not complimented with good teammates. there should be a tag-team, look at Benjie Paras and Gery Esplana, during their last strong stints in the PBA, their overpowered the towering Tanduay squad composed of Alvarado, Menk, Cantonjos and Telan.

Comment

Originally posted by crouchingtiger
                              dude that iranian bigmen is not a superior bigmen...look at him,he is not a dominant type of player..dont put him beside the likes of shaq...peace bro..
                              [http://basketball.powerplaymanager.c...a=201410504468

“Ang hirap kasi sa kanya, kapit tuko siya sa pwesto niya. Hangga’t pupuwede ayaw niyang bumitaw. Dapat dyan automatic yan nagre-resign siya, bigyan ng chance ang iba." -Abe King

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information