PDA

View Full Version : Why is F. Khatib not in the NBA?

crouchingtiger
08-06-2007, 04:27 AM
Khatib is such an excellent player! some chinsese news media said he is the best asian player next to YaoMing. Can the middleeastern friends here, Lebanese in particular, tell us why he was not taken by NBA? was there any political reason like the Ehadadi of Iran that hiinder their entry to NBA? thank you

BigFatPandaBear
08-06-2007, 05:15 AM
Khatib is such an excellent player! some chinsese news media said he is the best asian player next to YaoMing. Can the middleeastern friends here, Lebanese in particular, tell us why he was not taken by NBA? was there any political reason like the Ehadadi of Iran that hiinder their entry to NBA? thank you

Khatib is still under contract to his Lebanese team until 2008. The NBA refuses to allow its teams to pay other leagues for players -- though it is common practice in other countries to "buy" players from teams who developed those players.

He was invited to the Sacramento Kings in 2005. A big problem is at 6' 6", he is a little small for a NBA forward. Age is another problem, he is 28.

But someone in the NBA will give him a look once he is done with his contract in Lebanon. Michael Jordan had worked out Khatib before and was impressed. Jordan is a part owner of the Washington Wizards and their general manager.

saints13
08-06-2007, 05:24 AM
Yeah, in fact, Michael Jordan quoted that El Khatib should be in the NBA or something like that.. btw crouchie, those facts about El Khatib is on his player profile here in Interbasket

check this out if you haven't seen this one.. :)
http://www.interbasket.net/players/el-khatib.htm

protossdomain
08-06-2007, 07:07 AM
You could see why the Clippers were interested in signing him a few years back. He's a legitimate small forward who has been able to get off despite opposing defenses keying on him. His contract with his hometown club team ends late this decade, so there's a possibility his talents may see the light of day, either in the NBA or in a more prestigious European league.

rikhardur
08-06-2007, 02:32 PM
In the NBA or in Europe. I think the only fact that makes it difficult for him to play in Europe is that he would have a foreign spot. He has more than proved that he would be an excellent player in any top team.

bobo81
08-06-2007, 02:33 PM
Yeah I remember reading about problems with his club's contract which killed his chances of the NBA. I cant remember but I also remember him trying out with some other teams (maybe non-NBA teams not sure) but never heard anything after that.

He is getting older but who knows..I am sure he would turn into an Asian killer if he developed in the NBA.

thugpinoy
08-06-2007, 05:08 PM
Yeah I remember reading about problems with his club's contract which killed his chances of the NBA. I cant remember but I also remember him trying out with some other teams (maybe non-NBA teams not sure) but never heard anything after that.

He is getting older but who knows..I am sure he would turn into an Asian killer if he developed in the NBA.

Not yet too late for Fadi El Khatib to play in the NBA. look at Arvydas Sabonis.

onono1
08-07-2007, 02:41 AM
Not yet too late for Fadi El Khatib to play in the NBA. look at Arvydas Sabonis.

Hey arvydas sabonis played center position, he's got height, the size and the right skills which is very much needed in the NBA.

Czarkazem13
08-07-2007, 03:28 AM
Hey arvydas sabonis played center position, he's got height, the size and the right skills which is very much needed in the NBA.

Plus a sick basketball IQ.

YAROUNI10
08-07-2007, 05:16 AM
well he was almost going to join the clippers in 01/02 not sure what year though , anway the move was blocked for couple reason (a) clippers only offered him a non-gruantted contract (b) his old club didn't give him his realse and they even banned him from the NT for some years !! ( it was removed later after he came back)
However, he had the chance to join NBA/euro leauge many times but he refuesed for family reason , he once said in an interview that he had an offer from real madrid :eek:

onono1
08-07-2007, 06:47 AM
Plus a sick basketball IQ.

Sabonis has a sick basketball iq? But he was a good passer right :p

rocks_24
08-07-2007, 09:42 AM
well indeed khatib is nba material, but i think that was 3-4 years ago, when he was at his prime, from what ive observe over the years, khatib have slowed down, indeed in asia he can pass as a good small forward, but in the nba, wherein guards ranges from 6'3 - 6'7, i think khatib would be a liability to a team rather than being an asset.

offcourse if nba teams will look for experience and basketball iq and if they are willing to sacrifice (alot).....then khatib is their man....

but if them, id choose that kid from taiwan...forgot the name, but man, he is the real deal.. he stands the same as knatib, plays alot better and offcourse let us not forget younger than khatib....this kid can hit beyond the arc its as if he was shooting freethrows....

at this point in time, seing the most recent fiba asia championships, there are more better and younger players in asia right now which are more fit to play in the nba......

but offcourse khatib will always be khatib....regardless if plays in the nba...he has already made a marked for himself....

Czarkazem13
08-07-2007, 05:17 PM
Sabonis has a sick basketball iq? But he was a good passer right :p

LOL! Not sure if there is a cultural mix up, but "sick" in this case is a compliment.

Anyways as far as Khatib goes, he is a little undersized at the 3 (as stated above), but too slow (though a descent athlete) to defend 2s in the L.

Holy Hand Grenade
08-07-2007, 07:23 PM
If he worked on his quickness and moved down to two-guard, he'd make it, I think.

JET007
08-08-2007, 04:59 AM
if it is, another asian player in the NBA and the opening of the Middle East market...