PDA

View Full Version : 9-16th place games

sinobball
07-30-2007, 04:36 PM
main Asian Championship thread (score updates from Kings) (http://forums.interbasket.net/showthread.php?t=3370)

Group G
July 31
Philippines vs. Syria
Kuwait vs. India

August 1
India vs. Philippines
Syria vs. Kuwait

August 2
Philippines vs. Kuwait
India vs. Syria

Group H
July 31
China vs. Hong Kong of China
UAE vs. Indonesia

August 1
Indonesia vs. China
Hong Kong of China vs. UAE

August 2
China vs. UAE
Indonesia vs. Hong Kong of China

daniab
07-30-2007, 09:20 PM
India :D

Dinamita
07-30-2007, 10:17 PM
Indonesia! :D

thugpinoy
07-30-2007, 11:27 PM

India!!
My pren! too much problem! :D
________
Mexico Hotels (http://mexicocityhotel.info)

daniab
07-31-2007, 06:38 AM
Rp win in overtime syria 107-100. (overtime)
China vs Hong kong 93-69
Kuwait vs india 72-68
UAE vs Indonesia 83-81 (overtime)

saints13
07-31-2007, 06:45 AM
my bet is the Philippines :)

jundakki
07-31-2007, 06:48 AM

look at your sarcasm ... you're not sure yet if you will achieve your goals here in Tokushima... maybe i will have the louder laugh ....

daniab
07-31-2007, 06:52 AM
look at your sarcasm ... you're not sure yet if you will achieve your goals here in Tokushima... maybe i will have the louder laugh ....
just kidding man !!
Anyway i'm sorry.

karim
07-31-2007, 06:59 AM

atleast we,re not a team who was achieving to go to the olympics and than lost in the 1st round.....and so wat if its the group of death ? u lost 2 games in 3 days....with a win over a chinese U22 team i think.....and 2day u barely won in overtime against syria !!! im sure if team pilipinas was in group d , they would,ve lost in the 1st round and if they were in group b and c they would,ve made it to the 2nd round but would,ve lost by alot so its less embarrassing to lose this way and say they were in a hard group(good excuse) + why would u be laughing if leb dont win asia ? theres 8 good teams out there which are now all in the 2nd round so its ok if we dont win...atleast we,re not playing classification games against teams like indonesia and india :) .........

arnoldt
07-31-2007, 07:29 AM
atleast we,re not a team who was achieving to go to the olympics and than lost in the 1st round.....and so wat if its the group of death ? u lost 2 games in 3 days....with a win over a chinese U22 team i think.....and 2day u barely won in overtime against syria !!! im sure if team pilipinas was in group d , they would,ve lost in the 1st round and if they were in group b and c they would,ve made it to the 2nd round but would,ve lost by alot so its less embarrassing to lose this way and say they were in a hard group(good excuse) + why would u be laughing if leb dont win asia ? theres 8 good teams out there which are now all in the 2nd round so its ok if we dont win...atleast we,re not playing classification games against teams like indonesia and india :) .........

misery loves company. wait and see.

jundakki
07-31-2007, 07:37 AM
just kidding man !!
Anyway i'm sorry.

it's ok this is life, we're just a bit attached to the turn of events, we're mourning and any insensitivity shown will just produce outrage ...

peace bro ...

jundakki
07-31-2007, 07:53 AM

the real strength of the team compared with the whole of asia was not reflective of the team's current standing and failure to advance in the next round.... the closest thing to reality is the head to head matches btw RP and LEBANON which am sure RP has the edge...

shuttler
07-31-2007, 07:57 AM
Even before the knockout match with San Miguel-Pilipinas Monday for a quarterfinal berth in the 24th FIBA-Asia Men’s Championship, Mario Palma, Jordan’s Brazilian head coach, had already blasted tournament organizers “for putting together three of the top four teams in Asia in one group.”

Palma, a big man with a big voice and thinning silvery hair, lashed out at the draw for the pre-competition groupings during the media conference late Sunday after Jordan blew a 17-point second quarter lead and wound up losing to Iran, 60-54, on the second day of the preliminary round.

shuttler
07-31-2007, 07:59 AM
The win advanced the Iranians, who beat the Philippines Saturday, to Group I of the quarterfinals, most likely with Lebanon, Qatar and Taipei, while shoving the Jordanians into a do-or-die with SMC-RP for the right to join, probably, Japan, Kazakhstan and South Korea in Group II.

Palma, who found no need for a microphone offered him at the interview table, was piqued that top teams from other groups are “winning by 40, 50 points and getting to rest their key men,” while the heightened pressure to excel in Group A – composed of China, Iran, Jordan, Philippines -- have been causing unnecessary injuries to their respective players .

The Philippines had earlier in the day eliminated defending champion China, 79-64, with at least three players hurting, including center Asi Taulava (ankle sprain) and forward Danny Seigle, who sat out the game with leg cramps suffered in the loss to Iran .

China, Jordan and Iran finished first, third and fourth in the Doha Asian Games last year, and an agitated Palma wondered out loud how all three teams could be lumped together in one group for the preliminary round of the FIBA-Asia Men’s, formerly the Asian Basketball Confederation (ABC) Championship.

“It’s a big joke!” he boomed. “And add to that, they placed the Philippines, which sent professional players, in the same group. Ridiculous! ”

Palma said the loser of Monday’s knockout game between Jordan and the Philippines “is good enough to reach the finals and win the championship.”

Asked how such an imbalance was created, Palma said, “I don’t know. You have to ask them. I’m a coach, not a politician. But I think they could have done something about it, if they wanted to.”

The top four finishers in the 2005 FIBA-Asia (China, Lebanon, Qatar, South Korea) were distributed to each of the four preliminary groups. The bracketing for the remaining 11 teams, Japan excluded, were drawn two weeks before the tournament.

Japan, as host, was allowed to choose its bracket and opted to be in the relatively weak Group B, in the company of Lebanon, United Arab Emirates and Kuwait.

arnoldt
07-31-2007, 08:05 AM
Even before the knockout match with San Miguel-Pilipinas Monday for a quarterfinal berth in the 24th FIBA-Asia Men’s Championship, Mario Palma, Jordan’s Brazilian head coach, had already blasted tournament organizers “for putting together three of the top four teams in Asia in one group.”

Palma, a big man with a big voice and thinning silvery hair, lashed out at the draw for the pre-competition groupings during the media conference late Sunday after Jordan blew a 17-point second quarter lead and wound up losing to Iran, 60-54, on the second day of the preliminary round.

coach palma will be even be more fuming mad if his team will lose to korea today as korea is still leading.

arnoldt
07-31-2007, 08:18 AM
oh uh korea is now pulling away.

rodreyes
07-31-2007, 08:35 AM

Its hard to argue when Lebanon was lucky enough to be grouped with UAE and Kuwait.

Atleast you would not have enough basis to say that Lebanon is better than the Philippines. In our case, we have a solid basis: The Philippines had beaten Lebanon 4 out of 5 times, the only loss was a come from behind by way of a fluke 3 point shot.

And why are you being so boastful? Did your wins against soft teams like Kuwait and UAE give you so much joy in your heart? You could not even beat Japan? Atleast we can claim that we beat China, almost beat Iran if not for a bad technical call and slugged it out against Jones Cup champion Jordan. Group A was so balanced that any team could have emerged champion, even China.

Nuff said.

saints13
07-31-2007, 08:41 AM
Its hard to argue when Lebanon was lucky enough to be grouped with UAE and Kuwait.

Atleast you would not have enough basis to say that Lebanon is better than the Philippines. In our case, we have a solid basis: The Philippines had beaten Lebanon 4 out of 5 times, the only loss was a come from behind by way of a fluke 3 point shot.

And why are you being so boastful? Did your wins against soft teams like Kuwait and UAE give you so much joy in your heart? You could not even beat Japan? Atleast we can claim that we beat China, almost beat Iran if not for a bad technical call and slugged it out against Jones Cup champion Jordan. Group A was so balanced that any team could have emerged champion, even China.

Nuff said.

well, whatever factors and cases they may be, RP is in the classification round and Lebanon is in the quarterfinals. they have gone different paths now. :D

bolabasket
07-31-2007, 08:54 AM
oh uh korea is now pulling away.
Korea 70 Jordan 65

What now Coach Palma? Wrre the players tired in the game against RP?

arnoldt
07-31-2007, 09:02 AM
Korea 70 Jordan 65

What now Coach Palma? Wrre the players tired in the game against RP?

Coach Palma: "This is ridiculous. After our tough knockout game against the Philippines yesterday, we should not have been pitted against the Korean's today. We should have been pitted against the Japanese who we blasted in the Jones Cup. Obviously our bodies are tired and whoever who group us in that group of death, DAMN YOU!!!"

Mr.100%
07-31-2007, 09:49 AM
SMC-RP NIPS SYRIA IN OVERTIME

Seigle, Alapag sparkle as Nationals jumpstart consolation pool campaign

TOKUSHIMA, Japan – Despite a bruised ego and shattered pride, San
Miguel-Team Pilipinas still managed to squeak past Syria in overtime,
107-100, to jumpstart its campaign in the consolation round of the 24th FIBA
Asia Men's Championship on a winning note Tuesday.

Jimmy Alapag put aside the emotional baggage of the Nationals' stinging loss
to Jordan less than 24 hours earlier in their sudden death game for a
quarterfinals berth here, leading the RP scoring for the third time in four
games with 32 points on 7-of-12 shooting from the floor and 15-of-16 showing
from the foul line.

With help from Danny Seigle, Dondon Hontiveros and big man Asi Taulava,
Alapag orchestrated the Nationals' telling breakaway at the start of the
extra period that finally clinched the win which somehow eased the burden of
the team's failure to advance to the tournament qualifier of the 2008
Beijing Olympics for Asian countries.

Taulava, playing his way through a sprained ankle for the third straight
game, had another fine offensive game, finishing with 15 points and grabbing
17 rebounds, 11 on the defensive end, to cap a double-double while Seigle
played his best game so far with 15, including five straight to start the
overtime which anchored a crucial 10-0 blast for a 99-89 RP lead.

"These are the kind of games that are tough to play. I don't think we were
emotionally ready to play this game after the loss. I doubt if any of our
players had much sleep last night," admitted RP team coach Chot Reyes,
obviously still reeling from that 76-84 setback to Jordan but can now
managed to put up a smile from time to time.

"I told the players that when we signed up and committed to play for the
national team, we signed up to take in the whole experience, both pleasant
and the unpleasant. Obviously, this is the unpleasant part, but part of the
representation of our national team is to go through it all the way," he
added.

Mark Caguioa had 15 markers for SMC-RP, but was taken out with 2:28 left in
regulation and the Nationals trailing, 84-86, when he hyper-extended his
shoulder, joining Kelly Williams on the sideline. Williams had earlier
suffered a pull hamstring injury after playing for seven minutes as a
starter at the four-spot.

"We're just fortunate enough to find that energy to finish the game today,"
Reyes added.

"I know psychologically and physically your team is very tired. We tried to
take our chance, but we're not just lucky," said Samer Kayaly, the coach of
the same Syrian team the Nationals beat in the recent Manila Invitationals.

Trying to console the Nationals, the Syrian mentor was vocal enough to say
"that your team deserves to be in the Final 4."

Playing erratic in the first half, the Nationals trailed early on, but found
their rhythm in
the last two quarters and readily engaged the Syrians in a see-saw battle.

A driving lay up by Alapag regained the lead for the Nationals, 89-88, with
32 seconds left, only for Syria to tied the game at 89 on a split free throw
by Micheal Madanly off a Kerby Raymundo foul 14 seconds later.

The Philippines had one last shot at winning the game in regulation, but
Hontiveros missed on a set-up three-pointer to pave the way for the extra
period.

The scores:

SMC-Team Pilipinas 107 -- Alapag 32, Caguioa 16, Seigle 15, Taulava 15,
Hontiveros 11, Ritualo 6, Raymundo 5, Menk 5, Norwood 2, Williams 0,
Helterbrand 0.

Syria 100 – Madanly 33, Alsaman 27, Yakoub 16, Alkatib 12, Hasaballah 7,
Abdallah 5, Labes 0.

Quarterscores: 18-24; 38-35; 65-65; 89-89 (reg); 107-100.

igorotski
07-31-2007, 11:35 AM
daniab, i think it aint the time yet to make some jokes. we're not yet in the mood so expect serious or even furious replies. anyhow, jundakki, nevr mind that.

to u mr. karim, try to understand my fellow countrymen's feeling now. we're kindof sensitive to jokes and statements kindof insulting our team. yea we already know we lost, dont give emphasis to that ok?

anyhow, good luck lebanon.

daniab
07-31-2007, 01:05 PM
daniab, i think it aint the time yet to make some jokes. we're not yet in the mood so expect serious or even furious replies. anyhow, jundakki, nevr mind that. .

I didn't say anything on Rp team, i was joking on saying " india " will top the classification games .

kukoc7
07-31-2007, 05:58 PM
Hmmmnn... people are still basing their NTs "true" strength on tuneup games :confused:

saints13
07-31-2007, 07:29 PM
Hmmmnn... people are still basing their NTs "true" strength on tuneup games :confused:

what does that mean? was that a slur?

karim
07-31-2007, 08:51 PM
sorry igorotshki but some of ur pinoys still talking bad abt lebanon and that their only wins came to UAE and KUWAIT....anyway we beat qatar by 22 today so show us some respect pinoys and abt ur win against china , i dont know if u noticed but china went 0-3 their not the 1st team !! :p and that we couldnt even beat japan , u guys almost lost to syria as well ! and abt lebanon not being better than philippines im not gonna comment on this :)

norwood
07-31-2007, 10:57 PM
I had still voted for RP to be top on this qualification round, eventhought not entertaining anymore..we still beleive..seems Siegle is now a good health...
Goodluck RP-NT and goodlucky LIB-NT too..hope we get the best for our NT in this tournament...:cool:

saints13
08-01-2007, 01:56 AM
I'm hoping for a RP vs. China B duel for the 9th place. :)

arnoldt
08-01-2007, 07:41 AM
I'm hoping for a RP vs. China B duel for the 9th place. :)

9 is closer to 1 i guess :D. i just hope that team RP still has the hunger to beat this Chinese Team.

saints13
08-01-2007, 04:53 PM
9 is closer to 1 i guess :D. i just hope that team RP still has the hunger to beat this Chinese Team.

they really need to bounce back and finish the classification rounds..

sickcurtain_16
08-02-2007, 07:22 PM
You don't know what you're sayin I guess. You're forgiven.

I think that we can pull this game through.

Im not ashamed of what happened. The scores in our group shows how difficult it was. There were no double digit win in our group, unlike in the others that has a lot of gazillion lead wins.

YinkaDare
08-02-2007, 07:44 PM
Coach Palma: "This is ridiculous. After our tough knockout game against the Philippines yesterday, we should not have been pitted against the Korean's today. We should have been pitted against the Japanese who we blasted in the Jones Cup. Obviously our bodies are tired and whoever who group us in that group of death, DAMN YOU!!!"

The JORDANS should've gave RP the win.
They threw away the chance of making it to the finals...grrr!!:mad:
RP can beat Korea!...!:D

kukoc7
08-03-2007, 01:33 AM
You don't know what you're sayin I guess. You're forgiven.

Next time try to understand what is being talked about, and not just read a single post and react. It's not all strength that is used here, you got to use your mind too. But, I forgive you. :D

norwood
08-04-2007, 02:40 AM
What a close game....RP 19 - CHINA 22 END OF 1ST QTR...
DANNY S STRIKES NOW!!!!
GO! GO! GO! PILIPINAS! BRING THE HOTDOG! ( COZ THE BACON WAS ALREADY TAKEN :D )

kryptoniac
08-04-2007, 02:55 AM
What a close game....RP 19 - CHINA 22 END OF 1ST QTR...
DANNY S STRIKES NOW!!!!
GO! GO! GO! PILIPINAS! BRING THE HOTDOG! ( COZ THE BACON WAS ALREADY TAKEN :D )

Where are you watching this game?

YAROUNI10
08-04-2007, 03:35 AM
59-61
china lead at the end of the 3rd Q!

norwood
08-04-2007, 04:05 AM
Finally! Rp-team Won The 9th Placed! Defeated China By 2pts:)
Rp 78 - China 76---final

norwood
08-04-2007, 04:11 AM
Where are you watching this game?
only in the net bro..play by play boxscore only :) http://netcasting.mbt.lt/fiba/jp/netcasting/

norwood
08-04-2007, 04:20 AM
thanks for stupidness committed by KE LI of china...he fouled Kelly for just 0.02sec left..since both teams were already in penalty...and also a big thanks to Kelly who converted the 2 winning freethrows..
A FEARLESS ACT TURN TO HEROIC IN RP TEAM!

LONGLIVE FILIPINAS!

ros
08-04-2007, 05:23 AM
till next time Team Pilipinas.....ASTIG....

we will always be here.....

daniab
08-04-2007, 06:10 AM
Which position Syria has taken ??

daniab
08-04-2007, 06:40 AM
16-UAE
15-India
14-Kuwait
13-Hong kong
12-indonesia
11-Syria
10-China
9-Rp team

budz17
08-04-2007, 08:08 AM
9th place!!

I'll take this. I can take this. I can accept this.

Project_Olympics
08-05-2007, 03:12 PM
indonesia?! 12th place?!! :eek: U MUST BE KIDDING ME!!!
i think something is wrong in the rankings!

can't believe indonesia got that strong!

rycorpz
08-05-2007, 05:56 PM
indonesia?! 12th place?!! :eek: U MUST BE KIDDING ME!!!
i think something is wrong in the rankings!

can't believe indonesia got that strong!
its kinda weird to me too as well

JET007
08-06-2007, 11:20 AM
The win advanced the Iranians, who beat the Philippines Saturday, to Group I of the quarterfinals, most likely with Lebanon, Qatar and Taipei, while shoving the Jordanians into a do-or-die with SMC-RP for the right to join, probably, Japan, Kazakhstan and South Korea in Group II.

Palma, who found no need for a microphone offered him at the interview table, was piqued that top teams from other groups are “winning by 40, 50 points and getting to rest their key men,” while the heightened pressure to excel in Group A – composed of China, Iran, Jordan, Philippines -- have been causing unnecessary injuries to their respective players .

The Philippines had earlier in the day eliminated defending champion China, 79-64, with at least three players hurting, including center Asi Taulava (ankle sprain) and forward Danny Seigle, who sat out the game with leg cramps suffered in the loss to Iran .

China, Jordan and Iran finished first, third and fourth in the Doha Asian Games last year, and an agitated Palma wondered out loud how all three teams could be lumped together in one group for the preliminary round of the FIBA-Asia Men’s, formerly the Asian Basketball Confederation (ABC) Championship.

“It’s a big joke!” he boomed. “And add to that, they placed the Philippines, which sent professional players, in the same group. Ridiculous! ”

Palma said the loser of Monday’s knockout game between Jordan and the Philippines “is good enough to reach the finals and win the championship.”

Asked how such an imbalance was created, Palma said, “I don’t know. You have to ask them. I’m a coach, not a politician. But I think they could have done something about it, if they wanted to.”

The top four finishers in the 2005 FIBA-Asia (China, Lebanon, Qatar, South Korea) were distributed to each of the four preliminary groups. The bracketing for the remaining 11 teams, Japan excluded, were drawn two weeks before the tournament.

Japan, as host, was allowed to choose its bracket and opted to be in the relatively weak Group B, in the company of Lebanon, United Arab Emirates and Kuwait.
good thinking Palma...

JET007
08-06-2007, 11:21 AM
its kinda weird to me too as well
FIBA rankings so inaccurate...