PDA

View Full Version : Former PBA players where are they now?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Coke_Hero
03-24-2008, 03:54 PM
last i saw him he was with Barangay Ginebra in PBA

I think Mike Holper's in the injured list. Vic Pablo played for the Gin Kings when they matched up against ML Kwarta Padala. I think Holper's okay and maybe he'll play in the PBL again if he got dropped by the Gin Kings.

ankle breaker
03-24-2008, 03:56 PM
i think most of our former PBA'ers are now based abroad.

Coke_Hero
03-25-2008, 04:59 PM
i think most of our former PBA'ers are now based abroad.

Because they know that people from the US or any part of the world for that matter, would still recognize them and give them a job. Plus, it's really hard to live in the Philippines when you lack resources.

Phelhiphe
03-26-2008, 05:46 AM
know PBA players here in Saudi

Cris Cantonjos - played for Tanduay, Purefoods and Talk en Text now play with Riyadh Selection in Saudi Arabia

Jessie Cabanayan - played for Purefoods now the Rainbow king here in Eastern Provice (Al-Khobar-Dammam)

unknow (to me) PBA players here in Saudi

Noel David - played with Redbull :confused:

Arnold Calo - played with San Miguel :confused:

Servinio
03-26-2008, 07:18 PM
unknow (to me) PBA players here in Saudi

Noel David - played with Redbull :confused:

Arnold Calo - played with San Miguel :confused:
YES, Arnold Calo saw limited action with San Miguel Beer for only one season.

Noel David never reached the PBA but he played for Blu Detergent in the PBL.

ankle breaker
03-27-2008, 05:43 PM
what about banjo calpito, oliver agapito and jacques gottenbos? are they also in the middle east?

Phelhiphe
04-01-2008, 12:12 PM
what about banjo calpito, oliver agapito and jacques gottenbos? are they also in the middle east?

i never saw them playing here in KSA...maybe there where in QATAR, UAE or Bahrain

Servinio
04-01-2008, 04:30 PM
i never saw them playing here in KSA...maybe there where in QATAR, UAE or Bahrain
Oliver Agapito is in the Philippines. We were in the same Chinese restaurant with our respective families last weekend. He plays in Metro Manila minor leagues to keep in shape. However, Agapito is nursing a slight leg injury but should be at full strength in a couple of weeks and try out for any of Liga Pilipinas teams.

ankle breaker
04-01-2008, 04:37 PM
agapito has the height but he lacks athleticism and physique.

the cager
04-25-2008, 01:42 PM
Hiyah Guys,

Its Been A Long Time Since I Havent Heard Some Of The Players That Has Been Mentioned Above. Last Week I Was Able To Attend The Practice Of M Lhuillier In Cebu Coliceum, Marlon Piodo Was No Longer Playing For The Team, His Now Busy Running His Own Apartment Business From The Fruits Of His Labor In His Pba Days. Im All Heads Up For This Humble Guy... Cheers Guys!!!:d [/font]

ankle breaker
04-25-2008, 01:47 PM
nice to hear that piodo is now a businessman. where did he put his apartelle business, in cebu or davao?

pinoyski
05-31-2008, 06:35 PM
The PBA legends are in NYC for the Philippine Independence Day Parade.
I think I've learned a lot about Abe King but can anybody give me information on the rest of the founders of the PBA Legends USA Foundation?
They are:
Rey Santos
Rufino Ignacio
Marte Saldana
Roland Abilo
Ranulfo Robles
Rino Salazar

What teams were they in?

Forgive my ignorance. I left the Philippines a long time ago and have not really kept up with the PBA.

Servinio
06-01-2008, 03:44 AM
nice to hear that piodo is now a businessman. where did he put his apartelle business, in cebu or davao?
Marlon Piodo is now an assistant coach of the Senior Men's basketball team of the University of San Jose-Recoletos.

Servinio
06-01-2008, 03:49 AM
The PBA legends are in NYC for the Philippine Independence Day Parade.
I think I've learned a lot about Abe King but can anybody give me information on the rest of the founders of the PBA Legends USA Foundation?
They are:
Rey Santos
Rufino Ignacio
Marte Saldana
Roland Abilo
Ranulfo Robles
Rino Salazar

What teams were they in?

Forgive my ignorance. I left the Philippines a long time ago and have not really kept up with the PBA.
Rufino Ignacio and Roland Abilo were never PBA players, although Ignacio once managed the Countryfair Hotdogs team of the early 1980's.

Rey Santos played one season for Mariwasa.

Marte Saldana was the 1982 Rookie of the Year when he played for San Miguel. He later played for Alaska, Presto and Sarsi.

Ranulfo Robles played for Manila Beer and Presto.

Rino Salazar played for Toyota and Tanduay. Later, he coached Shell to a PBA championship in 1992. He is one of few players who won titles as a player and as a coach. Salazar started coaching as an assistant at Ginebra under Robert Jaworski Sr.

ankle breaker
06-02-2008, 02:46 PM
Marlon Piodo is now an assistant coach of the Senior Men's basketball team of the University of San Jose-Recoletos.
nice to know that marlon is now an assistant coach to his alma mater.

ear to the street
06-17-2008, 02:02 AM
Kawika Smith (shown second from right), a 6-3 point guard and team captain of Hawaii Pacific University, Rob Parker's teammate, could have followed Parker in the PBA if not for the Fil-Sham issue.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x287/GearX_2007/kawika.gif

Kawika Smith is very good freinds with Brandon Lee Cablay... You should ask him what he knows... He is also trying to get back to the PI... I assume we will be hearing more from him very soon...

ankle breaker
06-17-2008, 02:29 PM
what happened to cablay anyway? last team he played was purefoods, i think that was last year. is he still wil PF or he's a free agent now? i think he can still play if he's healthy (obviously) hehehehhee.:D

trigun_08
06-18-2008, 03:53 AM
Kawika Smith is very good freinds with Brandon Lee Cablay... You should ask him what he knows... He is also trying to get back to the PI... I assume we will be hearing more from him very soon...

wers d pic of kawika??

b3lowzro
06-18-2008, 04:54 AM
what happened to jovy sese and Bobby "the firecracker" Jose

ankle breaker
06-18-2008, 01:43 PM
yeah, they were never heard before after the MBA folded up. I think Sese saw action for Air21 in the PBA after the MBA but not that long. Probably just for a few games.

ankle breaker
06-18-2008, 02:24 PM
please check bernie fabiosa's update:

http://www.mikeygatal.com/connect/index.php?topic=2863.0

Alex07
06-21-2008, 06:04 PM
What happened to these guys who tried their luck on the Pro Leagues but suddenly went AWOL..any infos of their whereabouts?

1)Earl "Sonny" Alvarado
2)Chris Clay
3)Steve Smith
4)Rob Parker
5)Al Segova

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Itrohead/sonny.jpg

logre23
06-21-2008, 06:33 PM
Davonn Harp
Family man

http://photos-146.friendster.com/e1/photos/64/11/4241146/1_703715247l.jpg

Burndvinyard
06-23-2008, 12:49 AM
What happened to these guys who tried their luck on the Pro Leagues but suddenly went AWOL..any infos of their whereabouts?

1)Earl "Sonny" Alvarado
2)Chris Clay
3)Steve Smith
4)Rob Parker
5)Al Segova

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Itrohead/sonny.jpg

Sonny Alvarado is in Texas

jesronne
06-23-2008, 12:53 AM
@Burndvinyard

where is this 6'9 chinoy youve talking to last year??

bolabasket
06-23-2008, 01:56 AM
Davonn Harp
Family man

http://photos-146.friendster.com/e1/photos/64/11/4241146/1_703715247l.jpg

WOW...She's HOT!!!....

Phantim3dx
06-23-2008, 02:04 AM
bola are you serious, that girl is not hot.

bolabasket
06-23-2008, 02:09 AM
I mean Davonn's wife...

The_Big_Cat
06-23-2008, 02:41 AM
He maybe looking at a different angle from a different point of view.:D

Anyways, nice to see him again.

trigun_08
06-23-2008, 04:38 AM
I mean Davonn's wife...

ohh i tot devons hot hehehehe....:D :D

Alex07
06-23-2008, 07:11 AM
back to the topic I saw this on asia basket..some other Fil-am names are there including Kenny Evans..http://www.asia-basket.com/abr.asp?Cntry=PHI&CntryNbr=29

and found this one also on asia basket for Chris clay http://www.eurobasket.com/player.asp?Cntry=HUN&PlayerID=15248

http://www.eurobasket.com/photos/Clay_Christopher.jpg

ankle breaker
06-23-2008, 04:50 PM
i think cris clay has been to hungary as an import before coming over in RP.

heroescantdie
06-28-2008, 04:49 AM
please check bernie fabiosa's update:

i think bobby jose played for tanduay or jomer rubi,, not sure ,

wonder were's bong ravena,, tagged as man with the thousand moves, were's alex bognot,never played pro ball, a high leaper, from the south, and nino sonco teammate of ronjay in eac,, how about nino marquez, avg 31ppg in college tournament ucaa, and boyet guerero,former mvp of nbl afer theyre drafted

marlon basco and piodo,, former player of brgy ginebra kings

kerouac82
06-30-2008, 12:40 AM
Bobby Jose played for Tanduay.

Bong Ravena is an assistant coach at UE.

Alex Bognot did play in the PBA. Can't remember which team, though.

b3lowzro
06-30-2008, 02:51 AM
i think bobby jose played for tanduay or jomer rubi,, not sure ,

wonder were's bong ravena,, tagged as man with the thousand moves, were's alex bognot,never played pro ball, a high leaper, from the south, and nino sonco teammate of ronjay in eac,, how about nino marquez, avg 31ppg in college tournament ucaa, and boyet guerero,former mvp of nbl afer theyre drafted

marlon basco and piodo,, former player of brgy ginebra kings

musta be a heart break season for Bong Ravena last year in the UAAP, his team UE lost against La Salle while his son's team the ADMU blue eaglets lost to the DLSZ Junior Archers

ankle breaker
06-30-2008, 03:27 PM
i think alex bognot played only in the MBA with the pampanga dragons and pangasinan waves. he's a known fixture though in the PBL with harbour center and NBC with parañaque jets.

b3lowzro
06-30-2008, 03:48 PM
should this thread include also former imports of the league. They are also PBA players right?

So to start off, where the heck is Devin Davis, my favourite import in the PBA, after a winning a crown for Alaska I never heard from that guy (well i read something that he's spain).

ankle breaker
06-30-2008, 04:10 PM
last known stop was with Leche Rio Breogan in spanish league LEB.
known team mates were australians daniel kickert and daniel clark. american maurice jeffers and portuguese internationalist Joao Gomes Betinho.
http://www.keyhoops.com/asp.net/main.players/card.aspx?player=6025&mode=averages&season=60

logre23
06-30-2008, 07:05 PM
I think this is the closest thread I can post this one...:D

http://www.asiafinest.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t14799.html

XXI. SPORTS

In the field of sports, the great Filipino athletes that made their name in the United States were Pancho Villa, a flyweight champion of the world; Ceferino Garcia, the bolo punch boxer who tried two times to wrest the welterweight title of the world, losing to a controversial fight with Barney Ross in 1937 and Henry Armstrong in 1936; Roman Gabriel, the well-known quarterback of the Los Angeles Rams; Tai Babilonia, the other half of the famed Babilonia-Radner skating team; Elizabeth Punsalan, a fifth-time and current U.S. ice dance champion and a 1994 and 1998 Olympic competitor with her partner and husband, Jerod Swallow; Vicky Manalo Drakes, who won two gold medals in swimming in the 1948 Olympics in London; Salvador (Dado) Marino, who lost a bantamweight championship of the world fight to Manuel Ortiz in 1949, but wrestled the flyweight world crown from Terry Allen in 1950; Speedy Dado, the Pacific Coast bantamweight champion who attempted to be world flyweight and bantamweight champion of the world; Bernard (Big Duke) Docusen from New Orleans, Louisiana, who challenged but lost to Sugar Ray Robinson for the welterweight championship of the world in Chicago in 1948; and Jim Washington, a six-foot-seven forward, who was drafted in 1965 by the St. Louis Hawks of the National Basketball Association.

https://www.nbrpa.com/news/wherenow/jim_washington.aspx

"Where Are They Now?"- Jim Washington
January 3, 2006

By Talia Bargil

https://www.nbrpa.com/news/wherenow/images/jimwashington_top.jpg

https://www.nbrpa.com/news/wherenow/images/jimwashington_bottom.jpg

Inside the Atlanta Hawks' front office, 11-year NBA veteran and NBRPA Platinum Member Jim Washington is hard at work. He's not wearing a jersey and he's not shooting hoops, but his role in the organization is certainly making a positive impact on those in and around Atlanta.

As the team’s Community Affairs Liaison, the Philadelphia native has made it his mission to leave his community a little better than when he got to it. Through building relationships in the public and private sectors, he is doing just that.

"Since I was an active player, I was always somebody who was involved in the community, whether it was through the YMCA, Boys & Girls Clubs or other outreach groups," said the Villanova basketball standout. "It was a natural extension for me to come do the same with the Hawks."

Recently instituting their own alumni association, Washington is working to include fellow former Hawks to in the team’s year-round community initiatives.

"I am asking former players to become more visible here," said the St. Louis Hawks' 1965 first-round draft pick. "Not just financially, but by donating their time as well."

Prior to his current post, Washington also served as the Hawks' Director of Community Affairs, where he was able to manage and lead the components of the team’s charitable giving and community involvement.

"One of things I'm most proud of since working with the team for almost seven years was being able to help direct resources to the Hugh Spalding Children's Hospital, which provides healthcare to children living in poverty."

Since retirement from the NBA in 1976 (with stops in St. Louis, Chicago, Philadelphia, Atlanta and Buffalo), Washington has - and plans to continue to - commit himself to Atlanta and its surrounding communities in a number of capacities.

Under the direction of Former Atlanta Mayor Andrew Young, Washington spent nine years as the City of Atlanta's Director of the Bureau of Recreation, where he oversaw the city’s facilities and $7 million budget.

"The job was great for me because as a ball player, you have to acquire skills, and I wanted to continue to be involved in shaping the lives of young people," he said. “Also, I always admired Former Mayor Andrew Young. He was a civil rights icon, a Congressman and an Ambassador to the United Nations."

Following his time with the City of Atlanta, he went on to property management and took active roles in a variety of civic organizations, especially the 100 Black Men of Atlanta.

Currently, Washington finds respite dabbling in his home improvement projects. These days, he's building a deck in his yard. "I'm proud of my projects, he said with a chuckle. "It's hard work!"

He also enjoys fishing and visiting with his two daughters and six grandchildren.

Washington has been an active member of the NBRPA for several years and encourages other players to do the same.

"I am proud of the mere fact that this Association gives us a voice in things that affects players after their careers," he said. "It is very important more recently retired players join us and recognize the job of the players who came before them. We can accomplish so much together, and we need all former players to get involved."

The_Big_Cat
07-01-2008, 02:38 AM
Bobby Jose played for Tanduay.

Bong Ravena is an assistant coach at UE.

Alex Bognot did play in the PBA. Can't remember which team, though.

Bobby Jose entered the PBA in 1989 as a rookie for San Miguel Beer. That year San Miguel swept the three conferences enroute to a GrandSlam.

Bong Ravena was a member of then UE Warriors that played in the 1990 UAAP Finals. He played alongside Jolly Escobar. Ravena was drafted the following year by San Miguel and was the 1991 ROY.

b3lowzro
07-01-2008, 06:55 AM
I think this is the closest thread I can post this one...:D

http://www.asiafinest.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t14799.html

XXI. SPORTS

In the field of sports, the great Filipino athletes that made their name in the United States were Pancho Villa, a flyweight champion of the world; Ceferino Garcia, the bolo punch boxer who tried two times to wrest the welterweight title of the world, losing to a controversial fight with Barney Ross in 1937 and Henry Armstrong in 1936; Roman Gabriel, the well-known quarterback of the Los Angeles Rams; Tai Babilonia, the other half of the famed Babilonia-Radner skating team; Elizabeth Punsalan, a fifth-time and current U.S. ice dance champion and a 1994 and 1998 Olympic competitor with her partner and husband, Jerod Swallow; Vicky Manalo Drakes, who won two gold medals in swimming in the 1948 Olympics in London; Salvador (Dado) Marino, who lost a bantamweight championship of the world fight to Manuel Ortiz in 1949, but wrestled the flyweight world crown from Terry Allen in 1950; Speedy Dado, the Pacific Coast bantamweight champion who attempted to be world flyweight and bantamweight champion of the world; Bernard (Big Duke) Docusen from New Orleans, Louisiana, who challenged but lost to Sugar Ray Robinson for the welterweight championship of the world in Chicago in 1948; and Jim Washington, a six-foot-seven forward, who was drafted in 1965 by the St. Louis Hawks of the National Basketball Association.

https://www.nbrpa.com/news/wherenow/jim_washington.aspx

"Where Are They Now?"- Jim Washington
January 3, 2006

By Talia Bargil

https://www.nbrpa.com/news/wherenow/images/jimwashington_top.jpg

https://www.nbrpa.com/news/wherenow/images/jimwashington_bottom.jpg

Inside the Atlanta Hawks' front office, 11-year NBA veteran and NBRPA Platinum Member Jim Washington is hard at work. He's not wearing a jersey and he's not shooting hoops, but his role in the organization is certainly making a positive impact on those in and around Atlanta.

As the team’s Community Affairs Liaison, the Philadelphia native has made it his mission to leave his community a little better than when he got to it. Through building relationships in the public and private sectors, he is doing just that.

"Since I was an active player, I was always somebody who was involved in the community, whether it was through the YMCA, Boys & Girls Clubs or other outreach groups," said the Villanova basketball standout. "It was a natural extension for me to come do the same with the Hawks."

Recently instituting their own alumni association, Washington is working to include fellow former Hawks to in the team’s year-round community initiatives.

"I am asking former players to become more visible here," said the St. Louis Hawks' 1965 first-round draft pick. "Not just financially, but by donating their time as well."

Prior to his current post, Washington also served as the Hawks' Director of Community Affairs, where he was able to manage and lead the components of the team’s charitable giving and community involvement.

"One of things I'm most proud of since working with the team for almost seven years was being able to help direct resources to the Hugh Spalding Children's Hospital, which provides healthcare to children living in poverty."

Since retirement from the NBA in 1976 (with stops in St. Louis, Chicago, Philadelphia, Atlanta and Buffalo), Washington has - and plans to continue to - commit himself to Atlanta and its surrounding communities in a number of capacities.

Under the direction of Former Atlanta Mayor Andrew Young, Washington spent nine years as the City of Atlanta's Director of the Bureau of Recreation, where he oversaw the city’s facilities and $7 million budget.

"The job was great for me because as a ball player, you have to acquire skills, and I wanted to continue to be involved in shaping the lives of young people," he said. “Also, I always admired Former Mayor Andrew Young. He was a civil rights icon, a Congressman and an Ambassador to the United Nations."

Following his time with the City of Atlanta, he went on to property management and took active roles in a variety of civic organizations, especially the 100 Black Men of Atlanta.

Currently, Washington finds respite dabbling in his home improvement projects. These days, he's building a deck in his yard. "I'm proud of my projects, he said with a chuckle. "It's hard work!"

He also enjoys fishing and visiting with his two daughters and six grandchildren.

Washington has been an active member of the NBRPA for several years and encourages other players to do the same.

"I am proud of the mere fact that this Association gives us a voice in things that affects players after their careers," he said. "It is very important more recently retired players join us and recognize the job of the players who came before them. We can accomplish so much together, and we need all former players to get involved."

Ah no mentioning of how pinoy is he and i think he didnt play in the PBA

bolabasket
07-01-2008, 09:15 AM
Is he related to Jay Washington?....he looks like him

ankle breaker
07-01-2008, 02:45 PM
the famous washington in the NBA was kermit washington who was part of the infamous "the punch".

http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1376655

KamoteQ
08-06-2008, 01:29 PM
http://www.gmanews.tv/story/111886/Former-PBA-import-Smith-51

Former PBA import Smith, 51

MANILA, Philippines – Former Philippine Basketball Association import Darryl Smith died of a heart attack Tuesday night. He was 51.

Smith played for 2 PBA teams – Great Taste (1979) and Winston (1983) -- and then permanently settled in Cebu after his competitive years.

He was widely known as a scoring import, averaging 37 points and 13 rebounds while playing for the Coffee Makers in two conferences and normed 27.5 points and 16 rebounds in two games with Winston.

According to reports, Smith suffered cardiac arrest after playing a game in Liloan, Cebu, where he had been based for a long time now.

ankle breaker
08-06-2008, 01:33 PM
may he rest in peace. i have seen and played this guy in cebu in some pickup games some 10 years ago. i used to see him frequently hanging around with some friends in our neighborhood while he was still with M Lhuiller.

b3lowzro
08-06-2008, 01:44 PM
condolence to his family, may his legacy live on for the Philippine Basketball Association

bolabasket
08-07-2008, 01:55 AM
He was one of the imports who had settled in the country whom they call their new home e.g. Norman Black, & Bobby Parks.

Dinamita
08-07-2008, 04:29 AM
did he marry any filipina? any kids with cebuanas? hehehehe...

RIP...

thadzonline
08-07-2008, 02:28 PM

RIP...

I guess he had Filipina girlfriends, not sure if he married one or fathered a child with any of them though..I'd better ask the guys at Lhuillier:D

ankle breaker
08-07-2008, 02:55 PM

RIP...
i believe he sired a son and a daughter with one of this GF's in cebu. although it was reported that his son is a gay, a very tall gay. i can't confirmed it but i heard it from my friends who knew daryll that much.

bolabasket
08-08-2008, 01:17 AM
i believe he sired a son and a daughter with one of this GF's in cebu. although it was reported that his son is a gay, a very tall gay. i can't confirmed it but i heard it from my friends who knew daryll that much.
he/she should tryout for the women's team :D

thadzonline
08-08-2008, 01:29 AM

For this year alone I bet I have seen at least 3 gays in Cebu who are at least 6'3 tall :D His son could be one of those..Don't worry ex-NBA player John Amaechi admitted he was gay so maybe that's a ray of hope :D:D:D

ankle breaker
08-08-2008, 01:41 PM
isn't that pretty tall afro student of USC, a partime model also is smith's daughter?

ankle breaker
08-15-2008, 03:14 PM
Retired NBA player arrested on sex charges

MIAMI (AP)—Retired NBA player Vincent Askew posted bond Thursday after his arrest on charges that he had sex with a 16-year-old girl.

Askew played for eight NBA teams in nine seasons. Police said he approached the victim three months ago and told her that he was recruiting players for a Miami-Dade County prep school. Authorities said the 43-year-old and the teen later met at a hotel and had sex.

Askew was trying to get a coaching job at the school, police said.

He was taken to the Miami-Dade jail after his arrest Wednesday and a day later on $22,500 bond. It’s not known whether he has an attorney.

Askew’s NBA career included stints with the Philadelphia 76ers and Seattle SuperSonics. He has since coached minor league basketball teams in Kentucky and Albany, NY.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-retirednbaplayer-arrest&prov=ap&type=lgns

Askew played for the Shell Turbo Chargers in the PBA before strutting his stuff in the NBA. Poor Askew, can't get employment plus he might end up in jail for what he did. Having sex with a minor is a no no even if it's consensual. But what had happened could be considered as that he tricked the young player just to be included in his high school team.

b3lowzro
08-15-2008, 06:20 PM
http://www.sifomg.net/rand/577px-Pedobear_17.jpg

BEAR ALERT!!!

thadzonline
08-16-2008, 04:47 AM
he should have put that energy to hoops

joesmoove059
08-16-2008, 02:12 PM
Shame on him.

Menotyou
10-21-2008, 09:43 PM
In college in 1995, when I was feeling needy and stupid, I was dumb enough to buy in to this idiots sweet talk and sleep with him. He told me then that his mother was Puerto Rican. No mention of Filipino. I was glad when I heard that his lying was catching up to him and that he got deported. Yay! I now have a fabulous husband who adores me. Whew! Thank God I didn't end up with that creep instead!

pachador
10-21-2008, 10:27 PM
which player are you referring to? Sonny Alvarado? well, the big scandal when he was in the philippines was that he supposedly also messed around with a filipino player's wife.

In college in 1995, when I was feeling needy and stupid, I was dumb enough to buy in to this idiots sweet talk and sleep with him. He told me then that his mother was Puerto Rican. No mention of Filipino. I was glad when I heard that his lying was catching up to him and that he got deported. Yay! I now have a fabulous husband who adores me. Whew! Thank God I didn't end up with that creep instead!

nardy
10-22-2008, 12:02 AM
Hoopla from Manila, Grand Reunion of PBA Greats

PHOTOBLOG OF THE USA GRAND REUNION OF THE PBA LEGENDS (http://www.philippinepressclub.com/2008/03/hoopla-from-manila-grand-reunion-of-pba.html)

PBA LEGENDS TOUR (http://www.hometeamsonline.com/photos/basketball/PBALEGENDS/PBA_Union_Citynew_slide.swf)

http://www.hometeamsonline.com/photos/basketball/PBALEGENDS/pbagroup1.jpg

Mamang Kaylupit
12-16-2008, 11:48 AM
My first reply, hopefully not my last.
My first question is, how did Arnie Tuadles die? I have heard a lot of stories and I just want to hear other members intelligent comments...
Second question, Is is true or have you also heard the story about Arnie Tuadles was actually murdered by the great "PARE".

Mamang Kaylupit
12-16-2008, 12:25 PM
YES, Arnold Calo saw limited action with San Miguel Beer for only one season.

Noel David never reached the PBA but he played for Blu Detergent in the PBL.

Noel David played in Dubai for about a year. He left and won't come back to anymore. The reason [English or provide translation] After that, he left before "hip hop" was able to identify and file a complaint against him.
[English or provide translation]

nardy
12-16-2008, 12:36 PM
My first reply, hopefully not my last.
My first question is, how did Arnie Tuadles die? I have heard a lot of stories and I just want to hear other members intelligent comments...
Second question, Is is true or have you also heard the story about Arnie Tuadles was actually murdered by the great "PARE".

You got the rumors wrong, it's not the great "PARE" but the smaller version. :D

actually "nagkapikunan" on the gambling table. But that's a closed book already.

Sakamoto
12-16-2008, 01:14 PM
Dante Gonzalgo, a silver medalist in the 1990 Beijing ASIAD, was featured last saturday in the TV program Wish ko Lang. He is now a barangay Kagawad in his province. He suffered an injury in the latter part of the 1993 season that is why his contract was not renewed by the Ginebra management.

pepman
12-17-2008, 10:20 PM
Elmer Cabahug and Al Solis Today:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2403/2327447829_bdb14c7978.jpg

armorpiercing
12-18-2008, 11:20 AM
damn... really?

I remember seeing ABUDAH in person.... His muscles in his foot are really huge...:confused::eek:

bolabasket
12-19-2008, 04:56 AM
Elmer Cabahug and Al Solis Today:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2403/2327447829_bdb14c7978.jpg

looks like Boy Cabahug is now using Glutathione..:D

ramzaruglia
12-19-2008, 04:47 PM
I wonder where is Nelson "The Original El Toro" Asaytono is right now?:confused:

nardy
12-19-2008, 05:06 PM
I wonder where is Nelson "The Original El Toro" Asaytono is right now?:confused:

I've seen his name pop-up in box scores of minor leagues from time to time. There was this inter-color tournament I remember. It's a pity that he was not able to save so even if his contemporaries had long retired, he has to keep on playing just to earn a living. He seems to be a local Darryl Smith in the making.

Nelson Asaytono Mix (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTnRu-1PLSA)

ramzaruglia
12-19-2008, 05:08 PM
I've seen his name pop-up in box scores of minor leagues from time to time. There was this inter-color tournament I remember. It's a pity that he was not able to save so even if his contemporaries had long retired, he has to keep on playing just to earn a living. He seems to be a local Darryl Smith in the making.

Really? I am thinking he's coaching right now. I hope someone get him as a coach, maybe an assistant will do. :)

nardy
12-19-2008, 05:25 PM
How I miss the old PBA !!!!

See the videos and hope you still can remember the players.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObdUiLbG27I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZZJJ0xeNTw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su3ksz2uyXw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2hFytKgoOM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz920IxBcdA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KKPUnJNuGo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_3NY2uoKfY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F42nAzffOAs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rExXuyPLhQI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXh--Uea5yo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKoKFBlWg_c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRr43EWGf30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BGpHIFageo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N4ONsJfjTc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ECLbqj5gCo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AbBUj0e4mQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWk12r__nZ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDbixnqfU74

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqpv9aku3VE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seoW8U3NERs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfpf0L-PILY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRyJ4g3BlBg

nardy
12-21-2008, 02:51 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/warriors/Smart_125c.jpg

Remember Keith Smart, the 1989 Reinforced Conference import of the San Miguel Beermen, he is now the Assistant Coach of the Golden State Warriors at the NBA. Warriors head coach Don Nelson just announced he would no longer have anything to do with the Warriors’ NBA-worst defense and Smart would now be handling that part of the game. It was effective after Jamal Crawford scored 50 points to help the undermanned Golden State beat the Charlotte Bobcats 110-103 on Saturday (Dec 20, 2008) night, giving Warriors coach Don Nelson a win in his first game with a new coaching strategy. The 68-year-old Nelson didn’t inform the players of the move until before Saturday’s game, which the Warriors entered allowing 112.2 points per game, most in the league. Smart took an active role during the game, getting out of his seat and shouting instructions when Charlotte had the ball. They each had chairs in the huddle during timeouts, and several times Smart spoke before Nelson. “Before, he had to wait until I was done,” Nelson said before the game. “Now, he and I can both talk whenever we want. It gives him more authority in the huddle.”

http://www.nba.com/media/warriors/Smart_Shot_220.jpg
Keith Smart hit the winning shot in the 1987 US N.C.A.A.
Championship game in New Orleans, as Knight's Indiana
Hoosiers beat Syracuse Orangemen in the final seconds.

ankle breaker
12-22-2008, 02:35 PM
i saw 1 time pba aspirant gabriel maloloy-on at casili, consolacion.

ricodgame
12-22-2008, 02:43 PM

damn! i really enjoyed the Video.. Especially when he dunked against (i dunno who he was) he is like charles barkley of the PH

and what's the title of the song?

- just kinda asking, is our local players from 90's more athletic than this decade? I know, KG is soooo athletic but he cannot do the things he does during All Star games in real games. But maybe Skyrus is an exemption abit of willie miller, but no other local can fly like, Vergel, Kenneth, Alvarez, Nelson, heck even the flying A during their hey days. and as far as shooting is concern, there will be no better shooter than Caidic. I know ren ren is a shooter, but he is a streak shooter, even Rhoel Gomez had a better percentage than him, Al Solis and Boy Cabahug are the other shooters during 90's era.

nardy
12-22-2008, 03:44 PM
damn! i really enjoyed the Video.. Especially when he dunked against (i dunno who he was) he is like charles barkley of the PH

and what's the title of the song?

- just kinda asking, is our local players from 90's more athletic than this decade? I know, KG is soooo athletic but he cannot do the things he does during All Star games in real games. But maybe Skyrus is an exemption abit of willie miller, but no other local can fly like, Vergel, Kenneth, Alvarez, Nelson, heck even the flying A during their hey days. and as far as shooting is concern, there will be no better shooter than Caidic. I know ren ren is a shooter, but he is a streak shooter, even Rhoel Gomez had a better percentage than him, Al Solis and Boy Cabahug are the other shooters during 90's era.

No the players that are currently playing are much more athletic.

the observation of a lot of coaches that I talked to are that the current crop of players are not as dedicated as the players in the past. The cut-off seems to be when the Fil-foreign players invaded the PBA in big numbers. Before that time, players would give extra time in practicing their shots may it be in 3-points, dunk shots or free-throws. Players would do it voluntarily without being asked by anyone else. Said players would opt to stay longer in the gym after the team practices and do their own thing. Players right now are distracted with so many things that they do not give personal time by just practicing their game. To illustrate how dedicated our players then, an example is Samboy Lim who had to sacrifice his social life and was only able to get married only after retiring from playing in the PBA.

Certain players I talked to were saying what is the use of tiring yourself in trying to improve your game when the coach would still opt to give more minutes to the fil-foreign players since it is the order of the team management or school administration because said players had to work more because of what they are receiving. It's sad but anyway, we are trying to reverse that kind of attitude by the players.

bolabasket
12-23-2008, 01:36 AM
i saw 1 time pba aspirant gabriel maloloy-on at casili, consolacion.

does he still sport that braided hair?

nardy
12-23-2008, 02:09 PM
No the players that are currently playing are much more athletic.

the observation of a lot of coaches that I talked to are that the current crop of players are not as dedicated as the players in the past. The cut-off seems to be when the Fil-foreign players invaded the PBA in big numbers. Before that time, players would give extra time in practicing their shots may it be in 3-points, dunk shots or free-throws. Players would do it voluntarily without being asked by anyone else. Said players would opt to stay longer in the gym after the team practices and do their own thing. Players right now are distracted with so many things that they do not give personal time by just practicing their game. To illustrate how dedicated our players then, an example is Samboy Lim who had to sacrifice his social life and was only able to get married only after retiring from playing in the PBA.

Certain players I talked to were saying what is the use of tiring yourself in trying to improve your game when the coach would still opt to give more minutes to the fil-foreign players since it is the order of the team management or school administration because said players had to work more because of what they are receiving. It's sad but anyway, we are trying to reverse that kind of attitude by the players.

http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/templates/businessmirror1.0/images/logo.gif

The gift
Written by Ask Coach E / Eric Altamirano(altamiranohoops@yahoo.com)
Tuesday, 23 December 2008 22:16

http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/images/stories/columnst/col-sports-ask%20coach%20e.jpg

Partly to digress from our usual sports topics during the holiday season, here’s one parable that I’m sure will be of use whether one is at the world of sports or in any endeavor.

I copied verbatim from the Bible this so-called Parable of the Talents in Matthew 25:13-30 which goes, “A man going on a journey, who summoned his slaves and entrusted his property to them. To one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one, each according to his ability. Then he went on his journey.

“The one who had received five talents went off right away and put his money to work and gained five more. In the same way, the one who had two gained two more. But the one who had received one talent went out and dug a hole in the ground and hid his master’s money in it.

“After a long time, the master of those slaves came and settled his accounts with them. The one who had received the five talents came and brought five more, saying, ‘Sir, you entrusted me with five talents. See, I have gained five more.’ His master answered, ‘Well done, good and faithful slave! You have been faithful in a few things. I will put you in charge of many things. Enter into the joy of your master.’

“ The one with the two talents also came and said, ‘Sir, you entrusted two talents to me. See, I have gained two more.’ His master answered, ‘Well done, good and faithful slave! You have been faithful with a few things. I will put you in charge of many things. Enter into the joy of your master.’

“Then the one who had received the one talent came and said, ‘Sir, I knew that you were a hard man, harvesting where you did not sow, and gathering where you did not scatter seed, so I was afraid, and I went and hid your talent in the ground. See, you have what is yours.’ But his master answered, ‘Evil and lazy slave! So you knew that I harvest where I didn’t sow and gather where I didn’t scatter? Then you should have deposited my money with the bankers, and on my return I would have received my money back with interest! Therefore take the talent from him and give it to the one who has ten. For the one who has will be given more, and he will have more than enough. But the one who does not have, even what he has will be taken from him. And throw that worthless slave into the outer darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’”

At the risk of sounding preachy, I think it’s no accident that God used the word talent in this parable rather that any familiar or usual term used for money.

For it is apparent that every human born onto this world has in his hand. From my standpoint as former player and coach, I have seen so many colleagues waste their God-given talents in a life of vice.

Personally, I have seen so many potential players out there, players who in the term of Ricky Brown, the player I respect most, “do not have the commitment or the desire to pay the price to continue and develop God-given skills.”

He adds: “I am sure you see that all the time as a coach.” And it is, indeed, a disappointment on how talent comes to waste. The ironic thing is that those with less of the talent survive with discipline, dedication and desire to improve, things that would have been a bonus for any naturally gifted player or person in general.

I always tell my players not to waste the talent or gift and I hope everyone takes this message to heart.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

ankle breaker
12-23-2008, 02:28 PM
does he still sport that braided hair?
the way i saw him, he's sporting a short hair. looks like a bob cut.

RetiredJordanStopper
12-23-2008, 02:57 PM

is da bull asaytono still with former starlet kimberly diaz? i have a friend who've known kim since HS, and she was telling me how asaytono, who's married and have kids, had an affair with kim, and how kim was just using his popularity and his money to her advantage. i think kim bore him a kid or 2, right after he bored her :rolleyes:

nardy
12-23-2008, 03:38 PM
is da bull asaytono still with former starlet kimberly diaz? i have a friend who've known kim since HS, and she was telling me how asaytono, who's married and have kids, had an affair with kim, and how kim was just using his popularity and his money to her advantage. i think kim bore him a kid or 2, right after he bored her :rolleyes:

Last I heard, Kim have left him already.

ankle breaker
12-29-2008, 02:48 PM
kim may have left him since he already have no more money...:D

ramzaruglia
12-29-2008, 02:54 PM
What about Rob "The Wizard" Johnson. I haven't seen him since he played for Alaska 3 years ago I think. I wonder where is he right now?

The_Big_Cat
12-30-2008, 01:29 AM
What about Rob "The Wizard" Johnson. I haven't seen him since he played for Alaska 3 years ago I think. I wonder where is he right now?

Rob Johnson. Ah! "The Rottweiler" to some basketball fans because of how he wears his headband. Not on the head but on the neck. :D

nardy
01-07-2009, 03:20 PM
http://www.philstar.com/images/logo_PStar.gif

Where's Andy Seigle?
SPORTING CHANCE By Joaquin Henson
Updated January 08, 2009 12:00 AM

If you’re wondering whatever happened to Andy Seigle, please be informed that he’s fine and living comfortably in Scranton, Pennsylvania.

According to his brother Danny, the former University of New Orleans center is fully recovered from his ACL injury, plays pick-up games for fun and works with trucks. He is now separated from his Filipina wife Gem, who lives in Hawaii with their only child.

“Andy and Gem still have a great relationship,” said Danny. “I think they talk to each other every day in the Internet. They even spent last summer together. Unfortunately, because of his injuries, Andy isn’t able to play at a high level anymore but he still plays when he can. He’s always liked tinkering with trucks so I’m not surprised he’s involved in trucking.”

Andy, 36, arrived here ahead of Danny and was a PBA rookie with Mobiline in 1997. He went on to play for Purefoods and ended his career with Ginebra in 2006-07. Andy saw action for the Philippine team in the 1998 and 2002 Asian Games. His best scoring season was in 2001 when he averaged 14.6 points. He registered his single-game career high of 29 points in his debut year.

Geraldine
01-21-2009, 07:00 AM
Nasa Amerika si Lowell. I heard a rumor he just got out of jail for beating up a girlfriend/fiancee. Ano ba naman yan si Lowell. Wala na bang matino magawa ang lalakeng 'yan? Napaka-loser naman. Failure na nga dito sa Pinas, namumulabog pa sa Amerika? Sana sa kulungan na lang siya forever. He deserves it!!!

kerouac82
01-21-2009, 08:01 AM
Nasa Amerika si Lowell. I heard a rumor he just got out of jail for beating up a girlfriend/fiancee. Ano ba naman yan si Lowell. Wala na bang matino magawa ang lalakeng 'yan? Napaka-loser naman. Failure na nga dito sa Pinas, namumulabog pa sa Amerika? Sana sa kulungan na lang siya forever. He deserves it!!!

English please.

The_Big_Cat
01-21-2009, 08:17 AM

You sound like Rita Magdalena. :D

dominique
01-21-2009, 11:35 PM
Nani Demegillo played college basketball for the CCP Bobcats and had a short stint in the PBA for the Alaska team in the late 80's is a security personnel at the Sta.Lucia East Mall in Cainta Rizal.

Nani Demegillop played for San Sebastian College in the early and mid 80's..

The_Big_Cat
01-22-2009, 01:47 AM
Nani Demegillop played for San Sebastian College in the early and mid 80's..

To those who have not seen Nani Demigilio, he resembles physically like UE's Pari Llagas. Including the facial features.

dominique
01-22-2009, 07:04 AM
To those who have not seen Nani Demigilio, he resembles physically like UE's Pari Llagas. Including the facial features. exactly....

Sakamoto
01-22-2009, 07:29 AM
Nani Demegillo and action star Chuck Perez were teammates playing for the CCP in the mid 80's this was according to my eldest brother who graduated from this school in 1989.

nardy
01-22-2009, 08:21 AM
:confused:
Nani Demegillo and action star Chuck Perez were teammates playing for the CCP in the mid 80's this was according to my eldest brother who graduated form this school in 1989.

He studied in both schools, but Nani first reached basketball prominence while playing for the San Sebastian Golden Stags. He was like most basketball players, they were so pre-occupied with basketball that they were not focused with their academics so he "needed" to transfer schools.

Nani's sad story is one example which up and coming players must know. They must take seriously their studies and make sure that they do graduate and earn a college degree. The actual playing career of a basketball player is rather short and most players are not prepared for life after basketball. A great number of players who had stellar playing careers ended up without any savings and since they took for granted their schooling, they had a hard time finding a job which in turn suffer in poverty when already outside the limelight. The PBA Legends USA actually cited the plight of Demigillo as one of the reasons which made them form their foundation.

Sakamoto
01-22-2009, 10:04 AM
:confused:

He studied in both schools, but Nani first reached basketball prominence while playing for the San Sebastian Golden Stags. He was like most basketball players, they were so pre-occupied with basketball that they were not focused with their academics so he "needed" to transfer schools.

Nani's sad story is one example which up and coming players must know. They must take seriously their studies and make sure that they do graduate and earn a college degree. The actual playing career of a basketball player is rather short and most players are not prepared for life after basketball. A great number of players who had stellar playing careers ended up without any savings and since they took for granted their schooling, they had a hard time finding a job which in turn suffer in poverty when already outside the limelight. The PBA Legends USA actually cited the plight of Demigillo as one of the reasons which made them form their foundation.

I always greet nani everytime i saw him doing his job at the sta.lucia mall. He lives in cainta rizal near the boundary of Pasig city in St.Joseph's Subd.

goyhang
03-15-2009, 09:08 AM
What Happen to Jojo Manalo was he stayed to long in the PBL
because of the Welcoat plans of jumping to PBA at that time
so Jojo waited till until 2002 when he decided to join the draft
with no clear picture if at that time Welcoat will be approved to enter the PBA
Jojo was considered old already for a draftee around 26 to 27 yrs old
Even his younger teammates in UPHR Chester and Gilbert catches him up in the Draft
fortunately at least he was drafted by coke in the second round although his younger
college teammates were drafted higher on him Chester was 9th and Gilbert was 16th
Jojo was 17th. (To tell you the gap between Jojo over Chester and Gilbert, Jojo even catch
the time when UPHR was then Perpetual Help College of Rizal…the school was not
yet a university then….). If Jojo had applied for the draft in 1998 or 1999 thing would
not be the same. He was then at that time at his amateur peak. With Younger guards
arriving in the years along with Fil-Ams its was very short for him to develop that
professional solidness and respect one gets by longer experience….he showed
up with Talk N Text for a short time and gone…………..
Now that Welcoat is in the PBA where is Jojo now well in UAE working not a star
but an ordinary company worker (as you said) enjoying the oil incomes of the arabs
that fuels their economy too bad their oil wells are doomed to depletion

Jojo Manalo maybe working as an ordinary worker here in UAE but he is still a star. He has so many achievements as a basketball player. Thier team UAE Express Money won as Champion in Inter-company Class A league held at Al Jazira Club in Abu Dhabi organized by the PeiBl where I also work with during fridays. He was the MVP in the said season.

Just yesterday March 14, 2009 he won Champion in 3 point Shooting and his team Express Money won the Champion on 3on3 Streetball competition it was organized by Abu Dhabi Sports Council.All Filipinos,Emarate Nationals and Other nationalities were very Proud of them.

So, I would say Jojo Manalo is just an ordinary OFW but he still excel in his line (as basketball player). And i also believe he is a good man.

Keep it up JoJo Manalo idol ka namin from PeiBl mini coop staff.hehhehe

shaqmonster
03-15-2009, 11:58 PM
Operating his own transportation business in Sydney, Australia

Does it mean he is driving his own taxicab?

AneiS
03-17-2009, 11:57 PM
hello, i've been a frequent reader of the threads for quite sometime and got interested on your quite amazing discussions. anyway, may i please ask about the said import who played for i think the syrian national team that played here during an invitational tournament where willie miller is included in the PBA selection. i remember he was born here as what his papers said when submitted in the pba. what happened to him? was'nt he offered to play in the pba. i know he is not a former PBA but played against PBA Selections.

donmar
03-18-2009, 12:39 AM
hello, i've been a frequent reader of the threads for quite sometime and got interested on your quite amazing discussions. anyway, may i please ask about the said import who played for i think the syrian national team that played here during an invitational tournament where willie miller is included in the PBA selection. i remember he was born here as what his papers said when submitted in the pba. what happened to him? was'nt he offered to play in the pba. i know he is not a former PBA but played against PBA Selections.

I can't remember... is that the Syrian-Filipino guy, who used to be a high school teammate of Allen Iverson and college teammate of Tim Duncan (maybe the other way around)?... I might be wrong!

jayron7
03-21-2009, 02:33 PM
yes, indeed... chickboy... no wonder he got STD... :D :D :D

how about NOLI LOCSIN? VINCE HIZON? FREDDIE ABUDA? MIKE MUSTRE?

Mike Mustre is in London and has been seen making appearances in the local filipino leagues there. Freddie Abuda I think is in California....

kerouac82
03-21-2009, 02:45 PM
Mike Mustre is in London and has been seen making appearances in the local filipino leagues there. Freddie Abuda I think is in California....

Freddie Abuda is a big man coach for one of the schools here in Manila. San Beda, if I recall correctly.

The_Big_Cat
03-22-2009, 05:10 AM
Freddie Abuda is a big man coach for one of the schools here in Manila. San Beda, if I recall correctly.

This was during the time when Koy Banal was coach of San Beda in the NCAA.

I believe Abuda was part of the FEU coaching staff last season. Or has he migrated to the US after his feu stint?

DaveMap2007
04-02-2009, 02:42 AM
Phil Newton and Kenny Evans

http://www.dreamleague.org/season/article.php?season_id=2153&article_id=11818

http://www.dreamleague.org/season/article.php?season_id=2179&article_id=12215

rfds5
04-02-2009, 06:17 AM
Hi! I'm new to this forum but not as new in this side of sport. After reading several inputs here, all of a sudden, I had a recollection of some of the former PBA players that I met, saw, greeted and awed before.

Indeed, Nani Demegillo is in the security force of the Sta Lucia Mall and twice I saw his man-mountain figure at the mall doing some security chores. He looks so ordinary to me and for me, mukhang naghirap nga itong taong ito (he seemed so penniless) and grab whatever job is available for him.

I was also fortunate that before Gido Babilonia succumbed to heart attack, I saw him with his family at Robinsons Metro East in Cainta with his family and I was shocked the following day that he died at an early age.

Saw Omanzie Rodriguez at the same mall in Cainta with his girlfriend for five years....I don't know if he's married already.

I saw also Jing Ruiz way back 1999 when he was still a coach of my alma mater: PSBA-QC...Go PSBA Jaguars!!!

Also, whatever happened to these players:

Carlito Mejos
Apet Jao
Udoy Belmonte
Mark Anthony Tallo
Terry Saldana
Jeffrey Graves
Willie Pearson

rfds5
04-02-2009, 07:05 AM
Where is Danny Francisco? Although he never played in any professional league, but he is billed before to be the next Ramon Fernandez of the PBA if not because of his heart problem. I remember Danny Francisco doing some commentaries/commentator at the PBA huddle that was way back 1990's.

Here are some of the tidbits of Danny Francisco:

DANNY FRANCISCO – The Ateneo championship of 1988 was like the Cleveland Cavaliers of the early 90’s – if Mark Price and Brad Daugherty led the Cavs as the top guys, then Gilbert “Jun” Reyes and Danny Francisco were the star players of the team. Benjie Paras shouldn’t have gotten the firat pick overall in the 1990 Draft that easy. Francisco was as dominating and as pierce as he was. Aside from leading the Eagles to a crown, he was in several international meets. A big guy with a soft touch, he was virtually unstoppable in the shaded area.

He plays like: Wearing number 10 in the amateurs, he was said as the next Ramon Fernandez of the league because he plays just like the Franchise.

Best reason why he never played for the PBA: Danny Francisco could have been a legend in the pro ranks with his size and skill had not for his heart condition. His heart is so fragile that he cannot undergo competitive b-ball. He didn’t went away from the game though. He returned as a commentator for the defunct MBA and for the other ABS-CBN Sports shows. He is also the team manager of the Cebuana Lhuiller team in the PBL.

Sakamoto
04-02-2009, 09:28 AM
If Danny Francisco does not have a heart problem i think IMHO he would be the Philippine version of Dirk Nowitzki eventhough he only stands at 6'7".

The_Big_Cat
04-02-2009, 09:55 AM
Where is Danny Francisco? Although he never played in any professional league, but he is billed before to be the next Ramon Fernandez of the PBA if not because of his heart problem. I remember Danny Francisco doing some commentaries/commentator at the PBA huddle that was way back 1990's.

DANNY FRANCISCO – The Ateneo championship of 1988 was like the Cleveland Cavaliers of the early 90’s – if Mark Price and Brad Daugherty led the Cavs as the top guys, then Gilbert “Jun” Reyes and Danny Francisco were the star players of the team. Benjie Paras shouldn’t have gotten the firat pick overall in the 1990 Draft that easy. Francisco was as dominating and as pierce as he was. Aside from leading the Eagles to a crown, he was in several international meets. A big guy with a soft touch, he was virtually unstoppable in the shaded area.

He plays like: Wearing number 10 in the amateurs, he was said as the next Ramon Fernandez of the league because he plays just like the Franchise.

Best reason why he never played for the PBA: Danny Francisco could have been a legend in the pro ranks with his size and skill had not for his heart condition. His heart is so fragile that he cannot undergo competitive b-ball. He didn’t went away from the game though. He returned as a commentator for the defunct MBA and for the other ABS-CBN Sports shows. He is also the team manager of the Cebuana Lhuiller team in the PBL.

Benjie Paras was part of the 1989 PBA Draft.

Sakamoto
04-02-2009, 11:16 AM
Benjie Paras was part of the 1989 PBA Draft.

correct sir!

If he does not have heart problem he might have enter the PBA in the 1992 or 1993 season because most of his teammates in the 1988 RPYouth team which we placed 3rd held here in Manila enter the league in the 1993 season.

pepman
04-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Francisco is still here, on the PBA panel.

Abuda is in the SMB coaching staff.

BTW, where are the Lago brothers?

jesronne
04-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Francisco is still here, on the PBA panel.

Abuda is in the SMB coaching staff.

BTW, where are the Lago brothers?

i think they are in the states

ankle breaker
04-02-2009, 02:52 PM
i think dwight and elmer are still staying here in the country with their families. i saw them one time played for the pba legends team when they toured the country recently.

rfds5
04-03-2009, 06:06 AM
can we make a rule here... before newbies can post new thread they must have at least a hundred post... When they have a hundred post i guess they're already familiar with the topics that are being discussed here so they wont be posting any redundantthreads...

This post is absolutely absurd!! Absurd to some fellow newbies like me that is pretty adept to the sport and so far, as I read the EULA's and some binding agreements in this forum, there were no mention of this silly rule. Let's just say that you are a newbie, and someone posted this kind of suggestion, what would you think about it? You are deprived of posting a thread that is relevant to this forum. That's why mods are here to simply safeguard/modify/screen the posted topics because they have the full authority to do this thing. It's they're job so to speak. I'm not against you brother but you just have to consider other things. You just take it constructively,ok, nothing personal.

rfds5
04-03-2009, 06:21 AM
By the way, to my fellow PBA fans, could you kindly help me recall if there was a PBA game that was defaulted or the game was simply halted due to fracas or similar to that nature? I know Ginebra could be one because of their reputation as the bad boy in the PBA League.

The_Big_Cat
04-03-2009, 06:35 AM
By the way, to my fellow PBA fans, could you kindly help me recall if there was a PBA game that was defaulted or the game was simply halted due to fracas or similar to that nature? I know Ginebra could be one because of their reputation as the bad boy in the PBA League.

Welcome to Interbasket.

The default game that I could recall was the Ginebra-Shell championship game in the early 90s. I can't recall which game was it but Ginebra playing coach Robert Jaworski got pissed off with some of the referees' call particularly when Rey Cuenco and their import (which i forgot) got their 3rd foul in the 2nd quarter. Jaworski instructed his players to walk off that particular game. I remember the score, it was 41-29 middle of the 2nd quarter. Shell eventually won the series and the championship.

The_Big_Cat
04-03-2009, 06:42 AM
correct sir!

If he does not have heart problem he might have enter the PBA in the 1992 or 1993 season because most of his teammates in the 1988 RPYouth team which we placed 3rd held here in Manila enter the league in the 1993 season.

A slight correction sir. It was the 1990 RP U19 Youth team.

rfds5
04-03-2009, 07:28 AM
Welcome to Interbasket.

The default game that I could recall was the Ginebra-Shell championship game in the early 90s. I can't recall which game was it but Ginebra playing coach Robert Jaworski got pissed off with some of the referees' call particularly when Rey Cuenco and their import (which i forgot) got their 3rd foul in the 2nd quarter. Jaworski instructed his players to walk off that particular game. I remember the score, it was 41-29 middle of the 2nd quarter. Shell eventually won the series and the championship.

Thanks, Big Cat. I recall that game but I'm not sure what really transpired. There was also a game that was halted mid-way in the third quarter, and I'm pretty sure that Alfrancis Chua was the coach; unfortunately, I don't remember the teams that were involved.

hurricane101
04-09-2009, 03:08 PM
Super bicolano Villamin works in ny along with former mvp abet guidaben
also former pro players billy reyes works and still play in nj
Former pro lenny reyes drafted in pba along with retired rommel santos works in new jersey and coach high school. ny and nj filipino leagues have many former players not just pro but former uaap and ncaa players

Sakamoto
04-09-2009, 05:40 PM
A slight correction sir. It was the 1990 RP U19 Youth team.

The 1990 RP youth team that you are talking about is a team where marlou Aquino and Johnny Abbarientos were included and it was sponsored by Moldex .

The 1988 RP Youth that im talking about is a team composed of John Cardel,Joey Guanio,Vergel Meneses,Olsen Racela,Bong Ravena,Danny Francisco,JunLimpot, EJ Feihl. The tournament was held here we won the bronze beating japan.

That is what i remember and one thing Danny francisco is also a silver medalist in the 1989 SEAgames held in Malaysia so how can he be part of the 1990 RPYouth team where he is already part of the 1989 men's team.

Calling on Mr. Basketball encyclopedia Anthony Servinio can you pls enlighten me what was the year when we beat japan for the bronze in the ABC Youth Championships held here in Manila, was it in 1988 or 1990?My memory says its 1988 hope im right.

The_Big_Cat
04-11-2009, 02:25 AM
The 1990 RP youth team that you are talking about is a team where marlou Aquino and Johnny Abbarientos were included and it was sponsored by Moldex .

The 1988 RP Youth that im talking about is a team composed of John Cardel,Joey Guanio,Vergel Meneses,Olsen Racela,Bong Ravena,Danny Francisco,JunLimpot, EJ Feihl. The tournament was held here we won the bronze beating japan.

That is what i remember and one thing Danny francisco is also a silver medalist in the 1989 SEAgames held in Malaysia so how can he be part of the 1990 RPYouth team where he is already part of the 1989 men's team.

Calling on Mr. Basketball encyclopedia Anthony Servinio can you pls enlighten me what was the year when we beat japan for the bronze in the ABC Youth Championships held here in Manila, was it in 1988 or 1990?My memory says its 1988 hope im right.

Sorry my bad.
It was not the 1990 RP Youth Team but THE 1989 RP YOUTH TEAM (U19 youth team).

That team was composed of Olsen Racela, Johnedel Cardel, Jonas Mariano, Vic Pablo, EJ Feihl, Danny Francisco, Vergel Meneses, Alejandro "Jojo" Lim, Peter Naron, Jun Limpot and Robert Ruiz. This team was coached by Ato Badolato. They finished 3rd.

You are correct about the Moldex-sponsored youth team. This was bannered by the EJ Feihl, Marlou Aquino and Boybits Victoria.

onono1
04-11-2009, 03:01 AM
Onchi Delacruz known as "enforcer" in the pba is now in the US too w/ his 2nd wife and family. Sometimes he visits the phils and stays in relative's home in marikina city.

Sakamoto
04-11-2009, 04:10 AM
Sorry my bad.
It was not the 1990 RP Youth Team but THE 1989 RP YOUTH TEAM (U19 youth team).

That team was composed of Olsen Racela, Johnedel Cardel, Jonas Mariano, Vic Pablo, EJ Feihl, Danny Francisco, Vergel Meneses, Alejandro "Jojo" Lim, Peter Naron, Jun Limpot and Robert Ruiz. This team was coached by Ato Badolato. They finished 3rd.

You are correct about the Moldex-sponsored youth team. This was bannered by the EJ Feihl, Marlou Aquino and Boybits Victoria.

ok sir!

Dinamita
05-13-2009, 09:01 AM
FEIHL? BALINGIT? BOLADO? RAMAS?

besides balingit...ASAN NA MGA BANO NA ITO? lol... where are they now?...

pepman
05-13-2009, 11:34 AM
FEIHL? BALINGIT? BOLADO? RAMAS?

besides balingit...ASAN NA MGA BANO NA ITO? lol... where are they now?...

Are you referring to those guys? Bolado was last seen in Liga Pilipinas, also EJ Feihl. Balingit was last seen in a movie.

hurricane101
05-13-2009, 04:36 PM
mr. servinio pls help answer?
What happened to the earlier fil-ams drafted in the pba lets say from 1994-1996? These are fil ams before the MBA. where are they now? For example the Lago Brothers

pepman
05-15-2009, 12:03 PM
mr. servinio pls help answer?
What happened to the earlier fil-ams drafted in the pba lets say from 1994-1996? These are fil ams before the MBA. where are they now? For example the Lago Brothers

The last time I saw Elmer Lago, was in that 2008 PBA Legends Game in US, and I also heard that he is already a Real Estate Agent.

nardy
05-15-2009, 12:34 PM
Are you referring to those guys? Bolado was last seen in Liga Pilipinas, also EJ Feihl. Balingit was last seen in a movie.

EJ has migrated in Australia while Bonel is now based in Cebu. I have no idea of the current whereabouts of Lucky Cris.

jesronne
05-15-2009, 12:37 PM
EJ has migrated in Australia while Bonel is now based in Cebu. I have no idea of the current whereabouts of Lucky Cris.

i think cris went to coaching... am i right??

c_d
05-15-2009, 09:23 PM

Danny Francisco was a guest few weeks ago in Anthony Suntay's talk show "Inside Sports" on the Makisig Network. He is now connected with the local NSA for softball.

nerdskratch
05-18-2009, 11:08 PM

Mike Mustre is here in London, UK. He is also working in the health care industry & I see him occasionally at social gatherings because we have mutual friends a real cool & humble dude!

DaveMap2007
06-09-2009, 11:40 PM
Mike Mustre is in UK

DaveMap2007
06-09-2009, 11:43 PM
Jojo Manalo maybe working as an ordinary worker here in UAE but he is still a star. He has so many achievements as a basketball player. Thier team UAE Express Money won as Champion in Inter-company Class A league held at Al Jazira Club in Abu Dhabi organized by the PeiBl where I also work with during fridays. He was the MVP in the said season.

Just yesterday March 14, 2009 he won Champion in 3 point Shooting and his team Express Money won the Champion on 3on3 Streetball competition it was organized by Abu Dhabi Sports Council.All Filipinos,Emarate Nationals and Other nationalities were very Proud of them.

So, I would say Jojo Manalo is just an ordinary OFW but he still excel in his line (as basketball player). And i also believe he is a good man.

Keep it up JoJo Manalo idol ka namin from PeiBl mini coop staff.hehhehe

Being a Good Man...Well this info seems to be very conterversial but I Believe his cheating his wife and children...his having affairs there in UAE...If you know him very well youll know his dark secret :)

patay-butiki
06-12-2009, 12:00 PM
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/512/spo8.jpg

Ex-PBA star now a school principal
By Joaquin Henson Updated February 22, 2009 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - Former PBA star Ricardo Brown is now the principal of Ross Middle School, a highly-acclaimed academy of creative media and arts with a student population of 680, including 8.4 percent Filipino, and a faculty of 29 teachers in Artesia, California.

Brown, 51, is the first Fil-Am to play in the PBA. He entered the pro league in 1983, was named MVP in 1985, played on six title teams in eight seasons and led the PBA in scoring twice. The Quick Brown Fox still holds the PBA records for locals in career scoring average (23.1) and free throw percentage (.876).

“Many of my students (are) Filipino and that is just wonderful as I maintain that connection with their parents who watched me play during the ’80s in the PBA,” said Brown in an e-mail to The Star the other day.

“That connection is very, very important to me and I look for that every opportunity I get. The Pinoy community is planning to honor me one day for becoming the first Filipino principal in the school district. That will be a very special day for me. All of the local Mom and Pop restaurants see me on a regular basis – Mabuhay Kitchen, Valerio’s Bakery, Nanay Gloria’s, etc. It is wonderful to work in a community where the Filipino lifestyle is present everywhere.”

Ross Middle School became a federally-funded magnet school for creative and media arts, catering to students in Grades 7 and 8, in 2004. The average class size is 25-30. The curriculum is specialized in fine arts, theater arts, media production, literary and musical arts. A popular class is video production where students learn to edit, write and produce daily broadcasts from the school studio. Students in journalism learn digital photography, desktop publishing and website design.

Brown said Ross was recognized as a 2007 Title 1 academic achievement school, a 2007 California distinguished school and a 2006 federal magnet school of distinction. It provides for a gradual and orderly transition from elementary to high school with the needs of the early adolescent in focus.

“We recognize that at this age, student needs are unique, that students require special knowledge and understanding and that their physical and intellectual changes affect their social and emotional responses,” said Brown.

The ethnic background of Ross students is diverse with Hispanics accounting for 53.3 percent, Asians (excluding Filipinos) 13.7, Caucasians 12.7, African-Americans 9.6 and Filipinos 8.4.

Brown was born in Chicago and raised in St. Louis. His father Lee is an American and mother Consuelo Vidal, a Filipina. After starring at Pepperdine University, Brown was drafted on the third round by the Houston Rockets in the 1979 NBA draft. He went to Manila to play for the national team on Ambassador Eduardo Cojuangco’s invitation and saw action for the Philippine squad that won the Jones Cup in 1981. Brown won his first PBA title with Great Taste in 1984 and appeared in a Filipino movie, “Action Is Missing,” with Dolphy and Paquito Diaz in 1987.

“I know what’s going on in the PBA,” said Brown. “I know the league has really created a new face compared to when I was playing. I think there are some good things but I also have some strong opinions.”

Brown said he will always cherish the memories of playing for Cojuangco and coach Ron Jacobs.

“Mr. Cojuangco will always be very dear to my heart and I regret that I was not able to play more for him during my basketball career,” said Brown. “That was one of my true regrets, my career not evolving in a manner that allowed me to play for the one man whom I most wanted to play for and who was really responsible for me to live and breathe the Filipino culture that I so very much wanted to be a part of.”

Brown is married to Lorma Sahagun of Ilocos Norte. He met his wife, an accountant, in California and they got married in 1984. Their first son Justin was born in the US and lived five years in Manila. Their second son Kevan was born in Cardinal Santos Hospital.

Before his posting at Ross, Brown was the assistant principal at Laguna Hills High School in Newport Beach near Los Angeles.

“I love teaching – I have a passion for it,” said Brown who earned a bachelor’s degree in education at Pepperdine and a Master’s degree in educational administration at California State Fullerton. He used to write a column “The Fox’s Den” in a Fil-Am newspaper in California.

rhk111
06-12-2009, 04:50 PM
Way to go, Ricardo!

Ricardo Brown, one time third round draft pick of the Houston Rockets. Hey, not that many Fil-Foreigners have been drafted in the NBA. You could probably count them with the fingers of one hand. Hell, even Danny Seigle wasn't drafted by the NBA (wasn't he?).

I remember watching a movie of Ricardo Brown, Dolphy and Paquito Diaz way, way back. It was an action-comedy, with them being like a Special Forces team. Ricardo died at the end of the movie, by the way, shot while manning a machine gun nest. :D

pepman
06-13-2009, 04:16 AM
I recently saw Bonel Balingit at Wowowee now. Just watch it.

patay-butiki
06-21-2009, 12:55 PM
http://www.stir.ph//global/UserFiles/PADIM3.jpg

WHERE'S...Padim Israel
by: Richard Roxas | STIR Contributor
5 Jun 2009 | 09:32 AM

Padim Israel, Crispa Redmanizers cager in the 1980's, now serves as the associate pastor of Bread from Heaven Christian Fellowship. You can see him on Karen Davila’s “Wonder Mom” when wife Rio Locsin shares her experiences and secrets in having a happy family life. Rio imparts to Karen how she managed to raise three amazing children without any generation gap. They also appear in the parenting show. She also reveals her secret on being healthy and fit despite having a very hectic schedule.
“Wonder Mom” airs every Saturday at 9:45am on ABS-CBN.

conrod_bearing
06-21-2009, 02:36 PM
Way to go, Ricardo!

Ricardo Brown, one time third round draft pick of the Houston Rockets. Hey, not that many Fil-Foreigners have been drafted in the NBA. You could probably count them with the fingers of one hand. Hell, even Danny Seigle wasn't drafted by the NBA (wasn't he?).

I remember watching a movie of Ricardo Brown, Dolphy and Paquito Diaz way, way back. It was an action-comedy, with them being like a Special Forces team. Ricardo died at the end of the movie, by the way, shot while manning a machine gun nest. :D

I think its "Action is not missing".

patay-butiki
06-25-2009, 03:15 PM
http://photos.friendster.com/photos/37/32/49592373/1_442465313l.jpg

Bernard "Tough Job" Fabiosa played in the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) for the Crispa Redmanizers in the early 1970s. His teammates were Alberto Guidaben, Atoy Co, Freddie Hubalde, Bogs Adornado, Philip Cezar and many more.He was inducted to the All Time PBA 25th year anniversary team in the year 2000.

He was the one of the first "real" point guards in the PBA, not a fancy scorer but made his teammates better players when he was consistently among the top PBA players in steals and assists. After the Redmanizers disbanded, Fabiosa also played for Shell, Great Taste, Purefoods and Swift Hotdogs teams up until 1991 when his basketball career was slowed down with a collar bone injury. He later retired and stepped away from the game of basketball and now resides at Los Angeles, California with Dr. Almi Valenzuela,a graduate from the University of the East College of Dentistry in 1986 who practices dentistry for 15 years now in the USA. Dra. Almi has 2 kids named Lysette and Jerryal.

Cammomile
06-25-2009, 10:35 PM

How about Sonny Alvarado

Manila_Ice
06-30-2009, 09:41 AM
Matt Mitchell of Cebu Gems?

joeven
06-30-2009, 09:43 AM

I heard he's playing in a Mexican league... Dunno his team's name though... :D

MrEndshiftresign
07-03-2009, 10:30 AM

tsk. this is the same guy who sang the star-spangled banner and did some dance moves while the philippine national anthem was playing... :mad:

The_Big_Cat
07-04-2009, 12:58 AM

Its good to see Bernie Fabiosa again. Number 15 for the Crispa Redmanizers.

patay-butiki
07-04-2009, 01:36 AM
a little bit dated, but to summarize:

coach rino salazar is with alaska airlines.
yves dignadice is a caregiver, taking care of the owners of kimberly-clark.
abe king works for ohana harbor coffee (based in seattle).

In Huddle

By Beth Celis
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 00:28:00 03/16/2008

UNION CITY, California—

Former PBA coach Rino Salazar, now based in Alaska, officiated the two games here like a real pro. In addition to his full time job with Alaska Airlines, Rino said he was officiating on the side, at an average of three to four games every other day.

I told Rino the PBA might be looking for someone to replace Perry Martinez as technical director. Perry resigned from his post early this month, following the controversial suspension of James Yap.

His job as caregiver may not be considered classy but many of his colleagues would be happy to trade places with Yves Dignadice. Yves’ patient is the multi-millionaire owner of Kimberly-Clark. Yves takes care of many other needs of the family and the old man.

The former San Miguel cager took time out from his work to be with former teammates Hector Calma and Allan Caidic and other PBA friends. The new Yves Dignadice is certainly a far cry from the fun-loving one we used to know. Yves, who came to Union City with his wife and cute two-year old daughter, is the picture of a loving husband and doting father.

Like Yves, Abe and Ligaya King’s employers Steven and Ronna Schreiner, owners of Ohana Harbor Coffee, are very generous and supportive.

Ronna flew from Seattle with her children to watch the Ohana Harbor team win the first game over Martin Purefoods.

donspark47
07-04-2009, 01:45 AM
Yung mga hindi na natin nakikita... baka may mag sagot dyan likes of Allan Caidic at Alvin Patrimonio, haler! samboy lim?gush! Art de la Cruz?OMG!

Bal David - Owns an Internet Cafe
Nelson Asaytono - mag kasabay kami sa Cebu pacific going to Davao City last May 2009
Noli Locsin - Active CFC
Terry Saldania - Jueteng?hehe...joke
Jomer Rubi - PG MP-Gensan (Manny Pacquiao's Basketball team)
Dodot Jaworski - Congressman

eto hinahanap ko kung saan kaya sila ngayon?

Chris Cantonjos - former tanduay
Steve Smith - former smb
Chris King - import Ginebra
Chris Bolado - Ginebra
Aldrich Reyes - Alaska
Johnidel Cardel - Shell
Biboy Smon - FeedEx
Welmer Ong - Ginebra
Benny Cheng - Ginebra
Jimwel Torion - Sta. Lucia
Jun Limpot - Purefoods
Jerry Codinera - Purefoods
Bobby Jose - Tanduay

patay-butiki
07-04-2009, 02:06 AM
From south florida, busy organizing and running community-based tournaments are:

rey lazaro
mike bilbao
jim dungca

their league, PBASF has already produced a pba-calibre talent - oracle's cris timberlake.

http://pbasf.com/TheLeague/files/PBASFLeague.jpg

http://pbasf.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fxzwn75xwU

thadzonline
07-04-2009, 06:51 AM
Dodie Ramas is coaching in Sydney

Fil-Aus Boy
07-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Dodie Ramas is coaching in Sydney

Could you please give more info, thanks... My uncle was asking, is he related to Kevin Ramas...

thadzonline
07-04-2009, 02:13 PM
Could you please give more info, thanks... My uncle was asking, is he related to Kevin Ramas...

I'm not sure dude, but he has 2 sons and the older one was supposedly once a La Salle/Ateneo prospect before he had a major injury and is now also coaching youth clubs in Sydney. The younger is 17 year old Mitch Ramas who dunks at 5'10". He once expressed interest to play ball in Cebu but the interest since died down

MrEndshiftresign
07-04-2009, 08:57 PM
i believe dodie and kevin are related...dodie's the older brother by about 9-10 years. not 100% sure of this. but i am 100% sure that kevin is the son of former philippine olympian/MICAA standout cristobal (cris) ramas, who was one of the bigger players of his era at 6'3-6'4.

jundakki
07-04-2009, 09:02 PM
how about former crispa redmanizers?

joy dionisio
yoyoy villamin
bai cristobal
rudy soriano
bogs adornado
joy carpio
ramon cruz
jun papa
lim em beng
willy pearson
danny florencio
tito varela

Fil-Aus Boy
07-04-2009, 11:24 PM
I'm not sure dude, but he has 2 sons and the older one was supposedly once a La Salle/Ateneo prospect before he had a major injury and is now also coaching youth clubs in Sydney. The younger is 17 year old Mitch Ramas who dunks at 5'10". He once expressed interest to play ball in Cebu but the interest since died down

We haven't heard that name over here in our circle.... Our Filo selection team here in the ACT were invited to play against the NSW selection as a warm up game during the PBA Legends tour last 20 June in Olympic Park, a lot of big name in the sport were there, but those names you mentioned above didn't ring a bell..

Off topic but worth saying, Magsanoc, Limpot, Meneses and Asaytono can play, those cats have skills.... We really enjoyed it... a big disappointment is Jaworski as he didn't turned up... Is he still active back in Manila.

thadzonline
07-05-2009, 01:26 AM
We haven't heard that name over here in our circle.... Our Filo selection team here in the ACT were invited to play against the NSW selection as a warm up game during the PBA Legends tour last 20 June in Olympic Park, a lot of big name in the sport were there, but those names you mentioned above didn't ring a bell..

Off topic but worth saying, Magsanoc, Limpot, Meneses and Asaytono can play, those cats have skills.... We really enjoyed it... a big disappointment is Jaworski as he didn't turned up... Is he still active back in Manila.

are you from Sydney? Heard of Douglas Welsh(or was it Walsh) over there? I believe Mitch plays with him

rhk111
07-05-2009, 03:28 AM

Those were former PBA All-Star players, so no wonder they were pretty good. They maybe old and has-beens now, but once they were on top of Philippine basketball. Some of those guys might even make to the PBA Hall of Fame.

dreamwalker
07-05-2009, 03:56 AM
There's a Reunion Tour between Crispa and Toyota oldtimers to be held in British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT), my alma mater, located at Willingdon avenue, Burnaby, BC on August 29, 2009

Anyone from the lower mainland who wants to do an EB ?:D;)

CoJ
07-05-2009, 06:38 AM
as far as i know he nailed some beautiful ladies...chickboy!

wasn't he convicted of corruption by the Sandigan Bayan (dahil sa walis na overpriced)

Manila_Ice
07-05-2009, 09:40 AM
AC Brown?
Sonny Margate?
Mike Garcia?
Chandler Donaldson?
Chris Lafontaine?
Chris Mendoza ?
Nate Payne?
John Dumont?
David Friedhoff?

The_Big_Cat
07-06-2009, 01:11 AM
how about former crispa redmanizers?

joy dionisio
yoyoy villamin
bai cristobal
rudy soriano
bogs adornado
joy carpio
ramon cruz
jun papa
lim em beng
willy pearson
danny florencio
tito varela

Joy Carpio is with the COMELEC.

dexxus
07-06-2009, 07:09 AM
It's been 5 years actually since I have not watched PBA .. and before I'm a big fan of Alaska Team.. whose played by Jolas, ( Jojo Lastimoso ) , Johnny ( The Flying A of Alaska) and Kenneth Duremdes.. These three were my top idols, and I could still remember them, played in San Agustin gym, and the crowd were really big.

And looking at Johnny Abarientos, even though he's small, but he's handsome..
Jolas and Kenneth were handsome too..

Just wonderin' where they are now. And never heard of them.. But I guess,
they were still busy with their own private life, and businesses. We'll never know.

donmar
07-06-2009, 07:30 AM
It's been 5 years actually since I have not watched PBA .. and before I'm a big fan of Alaska Team.. whose played by Jolas, ( Jojo Lastimoso ) , Johnny ( The Flying A of Alaska) and Kenneth Duremdes.. These three were my top idols, and I could still remember them, played in San Agustin gym, and the crowd were really big.

And looking at Johnny Abarientos, even though he's small, but he's handsome..
Jolas and Kenneth were handsome too..

Just wonderin' where they are now. And never heard of them.. But I guess,
they were still busy with their own private life, and businesses. We'll never know.

Kenneth Duremdes is the current Head Coach of the Coca-Cola Tigers (PBA) and assistant coach to the National Team... JoLas is the Assistant Coach in Purefoods (not sure)... while Johnny A is currently playing for Barangay Ginebra Kings...

The_Big_Cat
07-07-2009, 12:37 AM
Kenneth Duremdes is the current Head Coach of the Coca-Cola Tigers (PBA) and assistant coach to the National Team... JoLas is the Assistant Coach in Purefoods (not sure)... while Johnny A is currently playing for Barangay Ginebra Kings...

Donmar, Jolas is still part of the Alaska coaching staff.

Sakamoto
07-07-2009, 04:15 AM

and also Bong Hawkins

donmar
07-07-2009, 06:09 AM

c_d
07-10-2009, 06:32 PM
He was send behind bars for hold-up of a gas station. Obviously life was not so nice to him after he left PBA. He should of stayed in the Philippines like what Norman Black did.

For Billy Ray, Winning is Day-to-Day (http://fhm.com.ph/blogs/sports/2009/03/18/for-billy-ray-winning-is-day-to-day/)

Some former basketball stars fight boredom in their senior years. Some wrestle against the bulge in the belly. Others combat a craving for attention. Some struggle to adjust to the post-PBA lifestyle. Then, there are others who wage a war far more important than any championship game they’ve ever played in.

Billy Ray Bates, now 52 years old, used to define winning with slam dunks, three point shots, and championship rings. Nowadays the Black Superman, who is as human as ever, needs superhuman resolve to win a personal battle minute by minute, hour by hour, day by day. In 2009, Billy Ray defines winning, not with hardcourt godliness, but spiritual cleanliness.

According to Rick Barrett, a close friend who has known Bates for 30 years, the former 2-time PBA Best Import will be graduating from a New Jersey-based drug and alcohol center in two weeks. Barrett proudly shares that Bates has done well being clean and sober. Barrett also did Bates a favor by helping the former Portland Trailblazer reply to questions I sent by email last week.

Here’s our Q & A with Billy Ray:

MH: Where do you live now in the States? Are you married? Do you have kids?

BRB: I presently live in Newark until April 1st, when I graduate from the program I am in. I am married to Beverly Bates. I have a daughter in Switzerland who is 21 years old.

MH: Are you still in touch with your fans from your days with Crispa, Ginebra San Miguel and the Portland Trailblazers?

BRB: I am still in touch with Jimmy Fojas from the Philippines. He lives in California. He always calls me every few weeks.

MH: What do you remember most from your experience with the Crispa Redmanizers?

BRB: When I was with Crispa, we had the town rocking. I was young and I loved the experience of being on a great team.

MH: What do you remember most from your experience with Ginebra San Miguel?

BRB: When I played with Ginebra, I was in my prime. By this time, I loved the food, women, and friends I made. I miss the Philippines.

MH: What do you remember most from your experience with the Portland Trailblazers?

BRB: My NBA career was a blur. I had so much fan mail and I never took the time to enjoy the experience.

MH: You mentioned that you’d like kids to learn from your mistakes. What were the biggest mistakes you made in your life? It says in online sources that you robbed a Texaco gas station in New Jersey in January 1988 at knifepoint, slashed the ear of the gas attendant and was sentenced to seven years in prison. Was any of these true?

BRB: The robbery was all true. It was not the real Billy Ray Bates. I am so glad I am now clean and sober. It is a big difference to finally be in control of your life.

MH: What goes on in your free camps and clinics for young kids? Do you work with other former basketball players too?

BRB: I have coached in the Gym Rat Midnight Madness Games. They get all the top American players who have a chance to play in the NBA. We had Kobe Bryant, Tracy McGrady, Stephon Marbury, Josh Smith and 50 more NBA players.

MH: Aside from running the camp, what else keeps you busy nowadays?

BRB: Presently just staying clean day to day.

MH: It sounds like you’re excited to fly back here in Manila. What do you look forward to doing here in the Philippines? Who among your former coaches or teammates are you excited to see again?

BRB: My number one favorite person is Robert Jaworski. Mr. Jaworski did everything in his power to try to make me stay clean and sober but I was very young and immature. As soon as I get to the Philippines I want to thank Mr. Jaworski for all of his kindness and understanding towards me. He was someone who truly cared about me.

patay-butiki
08-03-2009, 03:53 PM
inspiring words from peter aguilar. a little dated (2006), but the wisdom of japeth's dad regarding the life of a professional basketball player should be heard by up-and-coming basketball stars....

oQiufGJvVfk

Manila_Ice
08-04-2009, 01:08 PM
I have read a couple of days ago that the SC has reversed the decision regarding Devon Harp's citizenship. I think he can still play, hopefully.:D

thadzonline
08-04-2009, 02:35 PM
Ibet Demape-current head coach of CT Wildcats
Marlon Piodo-currently head coach of USJ-R Jaguars(juniors)

nardy
08-04-2009, 02:49 PM
I have read a couple of days ago that the SC has reversed the decision regarding Devon Harp's citizenship. I think he can still play, hopefully.:D

Davonn Harp was born January 20, 1978, but let's see .... last time I saw his pix he gained weight and does not look a basketball player anymore.

Dirk41
08-04-2009, 05:33 PM
bonel balingit bugaw na lang daw sa ermita

trans

bonel balingit put up a basketball business in ermita

Alex07
08-04-2009, 06:02 PM
I saw Benny Cheng eating in "Masuki" (noodle restaurant in Binondo)

patay-butiki
08-05-2009, 01:32 PM
wilmer ong as reported in www.pinoybasketballfan.com....

Blast from the not so distant past - Wilmer Ong (Interview and Photos)
Posted by admin on March 14th, 2008 filed in gallery, news, photos, star

I was about to feature someone else for this part. For some reason, serendipity as you may call it, I bumped into former Ginebra player Wilmer Ong. I didn’t realize that it’s been years since he last played for the PBA, how time flies so fast. So I asked him if he could be my subject for today’s post, then he said No. Of course he was kidding.

PBF: what keeps you busy these days?
WO: Bum, as bahay lang. Hindi, actually, business. Itinuloy lang namin ng wife ko yung business ng mother-in-law ko, it’s on organic fertilizer, sa Rosario, Batangas.

PBF: what were the major adjustments that you’ve done after your basketball career?
WO: Madami, unang-una financial di ba, kailangan mo i-support yung family mo. Then yung physical activities, hinahanap hanap mo din yun.

PBF: How many kids do you have now by the way?
WO: 4 na.

PBF: Do you still get to meet your former teammates?
WO: Very occasional. Minsan sila Noli (Locsin), minsan sila Paolo (Mendoza), o sila Marlou (Aquino).

PBF: Oh yeah, you last played for the Realtors
WO: Oo Sta. Lucia, pero nakalimutan ko na kelan pa yun. 2004? 2005? I forgot.

PBF: Do you miss playing basketball?
WO: Alam mo, I’ve learned to accept reality. Darating din talaga yung panahon na tama na.
Siyempre hinahanap hanap ko pa ren maglaro.

PBF: Lastly, can I take a picture of you?
WO: Laki ko na eh. yung luma na lang. Hindi, sige ok lang.

Then he gamely posed.

http://www.pinoybasketballfan.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/wilmer-ong.JPG

Sakamoto
08-05-2009, 02:02 PM
Cris Jumbo Bolado is part of the survivor philippines season 2. BTW, i really missed those dunks by Bolado through the dropped pass from the Flying A.

patay-butiki
08-05-2009, 02:18 PM
^^^

bolado in survivor? surrounded by sexy, half-naked chicks???

now i know why people call him "Lucky" Bolado. :D:D:D

ankle breaker
08-05-2009, 03:35 PM
maybe he's shifting to showbiz now. he used to do some cameo roles in some comedy flicks way back in the late 90's to early 2000.

grahamtelly
08-06-2009, 04:36 PM
if Bolado wins the Survivor then his really a certified Lucky jumbo!

saints13
08-07-2009, 04:10 PM
I heard over the GMA radio that Bolado indeed is a participant in the Philippine Survivor..hehehe..I don't know, bigla ako natawa.hehehe. I don't know what kind of spice Jumbo Bolado will add to the show. hehehe. I'm not a fan of that show but knowing he's there, I wanna know how it will turn out. hehehe

jericho D. Niera
08-07-2009, 04:17 PM
hahaha.. is that jumbo bolado? i thought he is just a "kontra-bida" in a tagalog movie turned survivor.. si jumbo bolado pala.. hahaha.. now im curious with survivor PI.. will the bolado magic work? :D:D:D

c_d
08-17-2009, 08:14 AM
http://firequinito.com/templates/firequinito/img/banner.jpg

Airing tonight: Survivor Philippines Palau starring Chris ‘Jumbo’ Bolado (http://firequinito.com/archives/156-Airing-tonight-Survivor-Philippines-Palau-starring-Chris-Jumbo-Bolado.html)

http://firequinito.com/uploads/basketball/cris-bolado.jpg

Normally, I wouldn’t devote a whole post to a GMA Telebabad show, but I wanted to give a heads-up to all the readers of this blog, because one of the castaways in tonight’s Survivor Philippines Palau premiere will be former PBA player Chris ‘Jumbo’ Bolado.

Pinoy fans would of course remember Bolado’s ‘lucky’ run in the mid-90s, when he was part of Alaska’s grand slam season in 1996. The following season, he was traded to Purefoods, who immediately won the subsequent All-Filipino Conference. Purefoods shipped him to Ginebra (in exchange for EJ Feihl) the very next conference… and Ginebra won the championship! This was the memorable Chris King championship run that Gary Granada sang about.

Anyway, Bolado’s fortunes have apparently turned, and he’s now plying his trade as a basketball instructor. I chuckled when I read that, because Bolado has as much business teaching kids how to shoot jumpers as Ato Agustin has of preaching defense and unselfishness. But hey, whatever works!

I hope this opens the floodgates for mediocre former PBA players to invade the local reality TV landscape. I want Wilmer Ong in the Pinoy Big Brother house. I want to hear Max Delantes, Peter Naron, and Harmon Codinera on the Singing Bee. I want to see Giovanni Pineda’s dreams come true on Wish Ko Lang. I want Richie Ticzon to ply his wares in the next Project Runway Philippines. I want Boybit Victoria’s next harassment case to be on Imbestigador.

What, too much?

c_d
08-17-2009, 08:25 AM
Ato Agustin, coaching genius.Or: how San Sebastian learned to stop worrying and love the (atom) bomb (http://firequinito.com/archives/152-Ato-Agustin,-coaching-genius.Or-how-San-Sebastian-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-the-atom-bomb.html)

I did not see this coming at all. Neither did you, and if you say you did, you’re lying.

I’m not talking about Ato Agustin’s thinning hairline, or the disappearance of his killer stache, although those are weird too. I’m talking about the Ato Agustin taking over the coaching reins of the San Sebastian Stags and turning them into the best team in Philippine college basketball, highlighted by their sweep of the first round of the NCAA capped by a victory over arch-rival Letran.

It’s really weird. He preaches tough defense and unselfishness – and his team buys it! Apparently, they’ve never seen a tape of him playing, ever. I mean, I watched Ato Agustin carry those hobbled San Miguel teams in the early ‘90s, and I loved it when he led the Pampanga Dragons to the first MBA national title over the Negros Slashers, but he’s really not the guy who has the most credibility when he implores his players to play unselfishly and make the extra pass, is he?

His sideline demeanor is also kind of a surprise. He doesn’t subscribe to the mura philosophy of his former coaches (and fellow Kapampangans) Aric del Rosario and Yeng Guiao, although he gives out instructions in the huddle in English (with a heavy Kapampangan hint) like Guiao.

This time last year, I was taking a long break from work, and I had the opportunity to watch more NCAA games than perhaps anyone not paid to watch them. Agustin took over for a San Sebastian team that lost their best player, 6’7” center Jason Ballesteros, and was left with spare parts. So how did he end up, less than a year later with this juggernaut?

Well, there’s the defense. They play hard all the time, and their pressure defense (actually, a 1-2-2 backcourt trap) is absolutely suffocating. I was surprised at how good their press is; it’s better than the presses by teams like De La Salle and Letran, whose programs have been running pressure defensive schemes for years.

But more importantly, they are playing with swagger, something that Agustin had in no short supply all throughout his career. They were never rattled even when Letran went on a huge run and led by double-figures, or when Rey Guevarra and Kevin Alas made several impossible shots off daredevil drives, or when Letran gunner Jaypee Belencion hit a bunch of three-pointers.

They always knew they could come back, and they did, erasing the Letran lead in a huge third quarter run. It was a great performance that could only come from a crew who truly, honestly believe that they’re better than the other team.

Letran was able to limit the Stags’ main man Jimbo Aquino, but Ronald Pascual stepped up in his stead. But I suspect that if it hadn’t been Aquino or Pascual, it would have been someone else for the Stags. The team’s just built that way, and Agustin deserves all the credit in the world for that.

icebreaker
08-18-2009, 08:13 AM
Is there any instance that a son of a former PBA player has become a much better player than his father?

nardy
08-18-2009, 12:07 PM
Is there any instance that a son of a former PBA player has become a much better player than his father?

Ritualo is one .....

patay-butiki
08-18-2009, 01:02 PM
^^^

johnny abbarientos, a lot better than haba-haba.

this is way off-topic by the way. :p

dreamwalker
08-18-2009, 01:02 PM

Ritualo is one .....

Humm, at least the name Dudut (Jaworski) became a household name.....:D;)

patay-butiki
08-31-2009, 06:05 PM
dennis abbatuan in 1985...
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d139/rdl_prodigy/relosaabbatuan.jpg

he once scored more than 50 points against ncc.
http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/v224/275/46/n1636120103_4316.jpg

now in london with wife dr. maria lucila ciriaco-abbatuan and daughter karen.
http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/v229/464/109/n519825528_4662.jpg

c_d
09-11-2009, 04:21 PM
Life after PBA for the "Fortune Cookie" (http://sports.inquirer.net/sport/basketball/view/20090911-224721/Life-after-PBA-for-the-Fortune-Cookie)
By Marjorie Gorospe
INQUIRER.net
First Posted 17:39:00 09/11/2009

Filed Under: Basketball

MANILA, Philippines - Fortunato “Atoy” Co Jr. is most remembered in professional basketball as one of the 25 greatest players to have played in PBA, a member of the legendary Crispa franchise that won two grand slams in 1976 and 1983.

So how was life like for Atoy Co after his professional years as a basketball player?

After retiring from the PBA, Co entered the political arena serving as councilor in Pasig City from 1998 to 2007. He said he was able conduct basketball camps for the youth whenever he had time.

During his heyday, the six-foot-two swingman was recognized for his fadeaway jumpers and three-pointers - serving as a vehicle for local fans to see these type of moves, then seen only in the NBA, reincarnated on local TV.

Co played for the Mapua Generals (now Cardinals) in college and earned the nickname "Fortune Cookie", which he carried with him when he entered the PBA.

Now at the age of 58, Co admitted that his love for his alma mater never faded despite Mapua's poor showing in this year's NCAA basketball tournament.

“It’s horrible and it’s sad that they (MIT) lost veteran players this season plus the fact that they lack shooters and the team’s weak spot is in the center,” he said.

The Cardinals are currently toting a 1-12 slate.

“But I’m sure just give them some time and they can be better soon. Basketball is about ups and downs,” he quickly added. Co gets to show his loyalty vising Mapua whenever he has a chance to, especially on school celebrations.

The PBA Hall of Famer feels proud of what he has achieved and has no regrets about committing almost all his life to basketball.

“I never imagined that I would reach the highest level of basketball in the country and I don’t regret anything because I know I’ve done what I needed to do when I was younger," he said.

"I can say that basketball has made me a total person as 75 percent of my life has been dedicated here.”

Asked how the PBA differs now from his time, Co noted basketball today is more defined and scientific unlike before when a player must be familiar in playing all five positions on the court.

“Now it is easier because each player has position and the coach will just tell you what to do," he noted.

"Before we have to know and play different positions. The coach will just tell us that we have to win and the rest of the responsibility relies on us.”

neo
09-12-2009, 09:46 AM
bolado and victoria are not mediocre pba players :cool:

ogre
09-12-2009, 08:19 PM
How about William Pearson? What happened to him? He's a good perimeter shooter and penetrator before. I also think he is better than his bro Willie Miller.

nardy
09-12-2009, 09:02 PM
How about William Pearson? What happened to him? He's a good perimeter shooter and penetrator before. I also think he is better than his bro Willie Miller.

Willie Pearson was chased out of the country by the BIR for Tax evasion charges years ago when he was with the Alaska Milkmen. A good jump shooter and could've been a great PBA player. But poor work ethic, and the fact that he started playing in the PBA at age 27 caused his career to slide quite early. And tax evasion ended his PBA career for good after the 1989 season, when he played with Alaska.

He was first recruited to play for St George Whisky, the farm team of the PBA's Gilbey's Gin at the MICAA. But he was lured to play for Arellano Flaming Arrows after the MICAA folded-up and he eventually gone to the La Salle Green Archers which was already out of the NCAA which made it possible for him to be part of the original NCC Team where he was a benchwarmer with homegrown players JB Yango and Frankie Lim as that team had Ricardo Brown, Dennis Still, Jeff Moore, Steve Schall, Steve Lingerfelter, Bruce Webster, Willie Polk, Eddie Joe Chavez and Michael Antoine. After his National Team stint in the SEA Games he joined the PBA with the Crispa Redmanizers where he garnered the Rookie Of the Year Award. Before ending-up with Alaska, after Crispa he played with Shell and Great Taste.

The_Big_Cat
09-13-2009, 01:26 AM
Willie Pearson was chased out of the country by the BIR for Tax evasion charges years ago when he was with the Alaska Milkmen. A good jump shooter and could've been a great PBA player. But poor work ethic, and the fact that he started playing in the PBA at age 27 caused his career to slide quite early. And tax evasion ended his PBA career for good after the 1989 season, when he played with Alaska.

He was first recruited to play for St George Whisky, the farm team of the PBA's Gilbey's Gin at the MICAA. But he was lured to play for Arellano Flaming Arrows after the MICAA folded-up and he eventually gone to the La Salle Green Archers which was already out of the NCAA which made it possible for him to be part of the original NCC Team where he was a benchwarmer with homegrown players JB Yango and Frankie Lim as that team had Ricardo Brown, Dennis Still, Jeff Moore, Steve Schall, Steve Lingerfelter, Bruce Webster, Willie Polk, Eddie Joe Chavez and Michael Antoine. After his National Team stint in the SEA Games he joined the PBA with the Crispa Redmanizers where he garnered the Rookie Of the Year Award. Before ending-up with Alaska, after Crispa he played with Shell and Great Taste.

I recall Willie Pearson wearing number 33 for Great Taste.
This was the time when Great Taste Coffee were led by the "Three Bs"; Bogs Adornado, Ricky Brown and import, Norman Black. They were coached by Baby Dalupan.

b3lowzro
09-13-2009, 04:50 AM
I saw Bobby Jose and Philip Cezar in several billboards across town endorsing this 5-1 Coffee blended with a Brazilian mushroom.

nardy
09-13-2009, 10:01 AM
I recall Willie Pearson wearing number 33 for Great Taste.
This was the time when Great Taste Coffee were led by the "Three Bs"; Bogs Adornado, Ricky Brown and import, Norman Black. They were coached by Baby Dalupan.

Pearson came to Great Taste after the Three Bs that is because he was the player which was traded by Shell in order to acquire Bogs Adornado and remember Bogs used the number 33 after he left Crispa and ironically it was Willie which used the number 11 for the Redmanizers when Adornado was gone. What I could not recall is if Adornado and Pearson became team mates at Alaska which was the last team in the PBA for both players.

lizardking
09-13-2009, 06:04 PM
Anybody know what happened to Steve Watson? and how was he a filipino? I mean he looked pure white to me.

nardy
09-13-2009, 06:45 PM
Anybody know what happened to Steve Watson? and how was he a filipino? I mean he looked pure white to me.

Steve Watson the "Bandana Kid" used to manage Pepsi Mega (the ancestor of Mobiline/Talk 'n Text) in the PBA but that was almost 14 years ago. He is a Fil-Australian. I remember he played for the Ateneo Blue Eagles in the NCAA college competition while still a senior in high school.

Last I heard of him was when he played for the Ateneo All-stars in the 2006 Fil-Oil Flying V Homegrown Cup. He was supposed to play at the aborted San Beda vs Ateneo Games last 2008.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d139/rdl_prodigy/creditstodennisabbatuan.jpg
In 1985 From left: Rey Lazaro and Dennis Abbatuan for Shell Azodrin, and four of the original Jaworski Boys - Alex Clariño (RIP), Ricky Relosa, Steve Watson, and Terry Saldaña

DeportGrahamLimMovement
09-13-2009, 09:24 PM
Tejada, I don't know from what team, the one that was paralyzed because another player fell down hard on him, how is he now?

lizardking
09-14-2009, 02:43 AM
Steve Watson the "Bandana Kid" used to manage Pepsi Mega (the ancestor of Mobiline/Talk 'n Text) in the PBA but that was almost 14 years ago. He is a Fil-Australian. I remember he played for the Ateneo Blue Eagles in the NCAA college competition while still a senior in high school.

Last I heard of him was when he played for the Ateneo All-stars in the 2006 Fil-Oil Flying V Homegrown Cup. He was supposed to play at the aborted San Beda vs Ateneo Games last 2008.

Thanks for the info sir. How about Gary Vargas? I think he was the first local I ever saw dunk.

nardy
09-14-2009, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the info sir. How about Gary Vargas? I think he was the first local I ever saw dunk.

Being a PBA player here in Philippines makes you a celebrity, and that status made Gary exposed to a lot of women and drugs and booze. His wife which I think is a Nurse decided to save their family and gone to the US and demanded to Gary to follow them if he really loves them. So despite being very popular already and in his prime, Gary Vargas had his last season in 1986. By the time Manila Beer reached the 3rd Conference Finals, he was already gone as he left without finishing the season.

CoJ
09-14-2009, 08:22 AM
Tejada, I don't know from what team, the one that was paralyzed because another player fell down hard on him, how is he now?

tejada was playing for purefoods then..it was against Red Bull, Pennisi accidentally sat on Tejada on a loose ball situation I think...

donspark47
09-14-2009, 10:50 AM
Hector Calma - former Team Manager of the Coca-Cola Tigers... currently the San Miguel Beermen Team Manager
Samboy Lim - former San Miguel Beermen Team Manager... currently the Barangay Ginebra Kings Team Manager
Allan Caidic - former Head Coach of the Barangay Ginebra Kings, former Assistant Coach of the RP National Team, former Team Manager of Barangay Ginebra Kings and of the Coca-Cola Tigers... currently the Barangay Ginebra Kings Assistant Coach
Alvin Patrimonio - current Team Manager of Purefoods Chunkee Giants
Robert Jaworski - former Senator

Obviously we all know that already...:D

patay-butiki
09-14-2009, 02:03 PM
when i was young, i hated u-tex because it bothered the crispa-toyota rivalry. like a 3rd wheel or as we say in tagalog, "panggulo." :D:D:D

so i kinda hated limengbeng. i also thought he was korean. :p

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:W4YaK06frxihKM:http://media.inquirer.net/inquirer/images/inquirer-logo.jpg

http://images.inquirer.net/media/sports/articles/images/pic-09140844530324.jpg

A PBA legend recalls basketball’s glory years

By Marjorie Gorospe
INQUIRER.net
First Posted 20:32:00 09/14/2009

MANILA, Philippines – There were only a few recognized basketball players coming from the Filipino-Chinese community during his time but the name Lim Eng Beng is already written in local basketball history.

One of PBA’s all-time greatest players, Lim is best remembered for his exploits with the U-Tex Wranglers during the early years of the Philippine Basketball Association (He actually started playing for Concepcion Industries when the league started in 1975 and later on transferred to U-Tex).

Playing shooting guard, he was part of the first-ever PBA Mythical Five that also included Most Valuable Player William “Bogs” Adornado of the Crispa Redmanizers. He won two championships with U-Tex in 1978 and 1980.

“During out time, there was no three-point shot area so even if we take a shot from half-court, it’s still counted as two points, two points so it is easier now,” said the 58-year-old PBA great who also played for now-defunct Crispa and Manila Beer.

Lim had celebrated college basketball career before turning pro, playing for De La Salle back when the Green Archers were still part of NCAA. Playing in his senior year in 1974, he led the Green Archers in winning the championship game against rival Ateneo (also part of the NCAA then) where he scored 55 points.

He was also named MVP during that collegiate season, averaging 32 points per game. La Salle already retired jersey number 14, a fitting tribute to Lim as one of the greatest players to have ever worn a Green Archers uniform.

“I feel blessed because I was the first player to have a retired jersey in the Philippines,” he said, recalling then that the NCAA was more popular than the UAAP.

After almost two decades of playing basketball, he retired and went into business but continued to maintain a healthy lifestyle playing the game from time to time.

Lim said he still watches the PBA on television. While today’s players are definitely taller, he said his generation had the better shooters.

“Before, our tallest player would be someone who is 6-foot-4, now there are players in the PBA who are even 6-foot-10. Today’s players are more powerful under the basket but players before can shoot from different angles,” he explained.

He also became sentimental at one point during the interview, noting that today’s generation of PBA stars owe it to the league’s 25 Greatest Players for making the league well-loved by Filipino fans.

Nonetheless, he wants to see the PBA prosper further and is hoping that players today will play for honor and love of the game, more than just the promise of wealth.

“They’re lucky enough to be getting almost half a million (pesos) a month when during our time, we were contented with five thousand,” he said. “I hope that they will play whatever it takes to be a great player and being a great player means playing for your company and your country whatever it takes.”

nardy
09-14-2009, 02:35 PM
when i was young, i hated u-tex because it bothered the crispa-toyota rivalry. like a 3rd wheel or as we say in tagalog, "panggulo." :D:D:D

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:W4YaK06frxihKM:http://media.inquirer.net/inquirer/images/inquirer-logo.jpg

Lim Eng Beng is a true blue Chinese National but since he was able to play in the PBA, I am assuming that he is Naturalized Filipino. Beng is still active playing at the World Chinese Basketball Tournament and the ASEAN Chinese Basketball League as part of the teams representing the Philippines.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_NBaIY5AcctQ/SL5bNov3S_I/AAAAAAAAAnY/nHzvSYSJnNI/s640/CIMG1642.JPG
De La Salle's president retired the jersey with number 14 the first time in the history of La Salle and Nobody can use the number 14 forever. He still holds the record for the most points (55 points) scored in a single NCAA Senior game.

http://images.seoulninja.multiply.com/image/30/photos/157/500x500/3/CIMG7037.JPG?et=4LmJWUkCjvEjlO%2Cn3SMTuQ&nmid=48500828

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk118/pepman12/Steve-vs-the-Archers-e.gif
Here is Lim Eng Beng guarding Steve Watson.

nardy
09-14-2009, 03:13 PM
http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/1838/crispawalkout2mv2.jpg

DeportGrahamLimMovement
09-14-2009, 05:01 PM

In my case, I was a Crispa-natic but also liked U-tex because of their win against my hated team Toyota for the reinforced conference (I forgot what year that was) with their championship series described by great coach Tommy Manotoc as "one step backward, two steps forward".

But as time went by, watching and comparing the PBA then and now that I really learned to appreciate all of the teams and players then, even the marginal players, especially the one that I hated most - Toyota with Jaworski because of the excitement they brought with their rivalry with Crispa as I feel that players and games back then were better and much more exciting than today, no offense meant to present PBA fans.

Oo nga pala, the first dunk that I saw made by a local was a reverse slam by Abe King. He actually confessed afterwards that his arms went sore since the ring wasn't collapsible that time, then a two-handed slam by Guidaben and then by those exciting guards and fowards of Gilbeys Gin - Gary Vargas, Joey Marquez and Steve Watson but I think the ring, but not the backboard was already collapsible during their time.

I didn't know that Gary Vargas did succumb to drug addiction, what I remember once when Vargas was interviewed at sidecourt as the best player of the game, he was thanking his wife for giving him dextrose for added stamina.

I also remember having a very friendly and funny encounter with Guidaben during work as he was one of the walk-in clients. He approached one of my younger staff who was funny "mali-mali" lady, then the staff tried to initiate the conversation with Guidaben trying to flatter him said loudly that she knows him as a good retired basketball player but can't remember his name, she asked me loudly from a distance who he was so, naughty me, knowing Guidaben and his fierce rivalry with Fernandez during their time, I replied in jest "Oo magaling yan, si Ramon Fernandez yan!" - "Yes, he is Ramon Fernandez and he is very good!". That sent everybody laughing in the office, including Guidaben. He was really a good sport with a hearty laugh, contrary to his monicker as a volcano from one of the islands in the Visayas (i forgot the name) due to his short fuse on court.:D

nardy
09-14-2009, 07:09 PM
In my case, I was a Crispa-natic but also liked U-tex because of their win against my hated team Toyota for the reinforced conference (I forgot what year that was) with their championship series described by great coach Tommy Manotoc as "one step backward, two steps forward".

But as time went by, watching and comparing the PBA then and now that I really learned to appreciate all of the teams and players then, even the marginal players, especially the one that I hated most - Toyota with Jaworski because of the excitement they brought with their rivalry with Crispa as I feel that players and games back then were better and much more exciting than today, no offense meant to present PBA fans.

Oo nga pala, the first dunk that I saw made by a local was a reverse slam by Abe King. He actually confessed afterwards that his arms went sore since the ring wasn't collapsible that time, then a two-handed slam by Guidaben and then by those exciting guards and fowards of Gilbeys Gin - Gary Vargas, Joey Marquez and Steve Watson but I think the ring, but not the backboard was already collapsible during their time.

I didn't know that Gary Vargas did succumb to drug addiction, what I remember once when Vargas was interviewed at sidecourt as the best player of the game, he was thanking his wife for giving him dextrose for added stamina.

I also remember having a very friendly and funny encounter with Guidaben during work as he was one of the walk-in clients. He approached one of my younger staff who was funny "mali-mali" lady, then the staff tried to initiate the conversation with Guidaben trying to flatter him said loudly that she knows him as a good retired basketball player but can't remember his name, she asked me loudly from a distance who he was so, naughty me, knowing Guidaben and his fierce rivalry with Fernandez during their time, I replied in jest "Oo magaling yan, si Ramon Fernandez yan!" - "Yes, he is Ramon Fernandez and he is very good!". That sent everybody laughing in the office, including Guidaben. He was really a good sport with a hearty laugh, contrary to his monicker as a volcano from one of the islands in the Visayas (i forgot the name) due to his short fuse on court.:D

That Utex Wranglers team was the one in 1980 Open Conference that will be forever etched in PBA history books. That mous quote of Coach Manotoc after Game 4 of the Finals between the Wranglers and the Tamaraws. In that game, with less than 7 minutes left and the Tamaraws ahead by 11 points (U-Tex was ahead in the best of five series, 2-1), Manotoc pulled out all his starters including the two imports in an apparent sign of surrender. After the game, when asked by reporters why he gave up with so much time remaining, Manotoc quipped, "one step back, two steps forward," referring to his tactic of reserving his players' energy in preparation for sudden death game 5. Manotoc was severely criticized for this, to the point that reporters were suggesting to then Commissioner Leo Prieto to sanction him. But two days after, Manotoc justified his actions when Game 5 went into overtime. Prior to the overtime, the Tamaraws were ahead by 4 points with 16 seconds left. The Wranglers overhauled this 4 point deficit, sent the game into OT, and won the series. Only 8 players suited up for U-Tex in that game, and the locals were so exhausted that Adornado and Lim almost threw up after the game. Manotoc just gave the Euyang franchise its second title in three years. Adornado cracked the Mythical 5 for the 3rd time in his PBA career, a classic case of retribution. The imports of this Wrangler team were Glenn McDonald and Aaron James.

Yes there was a time there were only three players who could dunk, aside from Guidaben and King, Ramon Fernandez was the other one. But indeed the Hi-flyer who showed non-centers can dunk was Gary Vargas, a former PSBA Jaguar.

Abet Guidaben is from Camiguin Island which is near Cagayan de Oro City in Misamis Oriental. Abet is also know as the "Pride of Camiguin". CAMIGUIN ISLAND is said to be "Born of Fire". It has seven volcanoes unmatched anywhere else in Southeast Asia. But the name Camiguin is derived from the native word “Kamagong”, a tree of the Ebony family that thrives near lake Mainit in the Province of Surigao del Norte. The original inhabitants of Camiguin were “manobos” who migrated from Surigao. The old native language in Camiguin is called “Kinamiguin”, which is similar to the dialect spoken in Surigao. One of the more famous volcano in this island is Mt. Hibok-Hibok.

chris25_moon
09-14-2009, 11:56 PM
Hector Calma - former Team Manager of the Coca-Cola Tigers... currently the San Miguel Beermen Team Manager
Samboy Lim - former San Miguel Beermen Team Manager... currently the Barangay Ginebra Kings Team Manager
Allan Caidic - former Head Coach of the Barangay Ginebra Kings, former Assistant Coach of the RP National Team, former Team Manager of Barangay Ginebra Kings and of the Coca-Cola Tigers... currently the Barangay Ginebra Kings Assistant Coach

siot tanquincen - head coach of SMB...hahahaha.... whatta post! :D

chris25_moon
09-15-2009, 03:30 AM

you forgot... Pido Jarencio - Asst. Coach - SMB...:D

rensquared
09-15-2009, 08:51 AM
you forgot... Pido Jarencio - Asst. Coach - SMB...:D

And head coach of UST

nardy
09-15-2009, 09:18 AM

The interview of Lim Eng Beng ==> http://sports.inquirer.net/video/index.php?vid=2753

c_d
09-16-2009, 03:28 PM
Meneses still keeps himself fit to play (http://sports.inquirer.net/breakingnews/breakingnews/view/20090916-225386/Meneses-still-keeps-himself-fit-to-play)
By Marjorie Gorospe
INQUIRER.net
First Posted 01:21:00 09/16/2009

Filed Under: Basketball

MANILA, Philippines – Even though he’s retired from professional basketball, Vergel Meneses makes sure he keeps himself fit enough to play exhibition games.

The 6-foot-3 Meneses carried the moniker “The Aerial Voyager” for his acrobatic and moves to the basket, making him an explosive offensive threat reminiscent of Samboy “The Skywalker” Lim, who he succeeded in the amateur leagues playing for Swift.

The 10-time PBA All-Star played for several teams but was most successful with Sunkist, wining the coveted Most Valuable Player award in 1995 when he led the RFM franchise to a near grand slam – copping two of out three conferences.

Even after announcing his retirement in 2006, Meneses said it was important for him to stay fit because he always gets invited to play exhibition matches. He recently saw action in the ASEAN veterans basketball tournament held in Marikina City.

“Not just because I’m out of PBA, I’ll let my body loosen up and get back into shape drastically when there’s an exhibition game. I really discipline myself and be strict with my diet,” he said.

Though not a strict vegetarian, Meneses said he limits himself to a cup of rice every meal and eats a lot of fruits and vegetables.

“I always set my target like when it comes to my weight and when I achieve it I stop then just repeat my routine,” said Meneses, who kept himself busy with various businesses after his professional career.

Prior to the PBL and PBA, Meneses played for Jose Rizal College (now Jose Rizal University) in the NCAA.

The league’s 1993 Most Improved Player and four-time PBA All-Star Game Most Valuable player feels overwhelmed that basketball fans still recognize him even though the league has produced many talented players.

During his heyday, Meneses, who won back-to-back slam dunk contests when he entered the PBA in 1992, was known as a go-to guy who isn’t afraid to take crucial shots when the game is on the line.

“I hope they still remember me as someone who has the will to win especially during crunch time,” he said.

chris25_moon
09-17-2009, 02:09 AM
Idol..Vergel...

nardy
09-23-2009, 06:29 PM
Life after PBA for the ‘Fortune Cookie’

Posted: September 22, 2009

Fortunato “Atoy” Co is one of most recognizable players in local basketball having played for the legendary Crispa franchise from late 1970s to early 1980s. The PBA legend talks about his life after retirement and shares his thoughts about today’s basketball players. Video taken by INQUIRER.net’s Marjorie Gorospe and Janie Octia.

http://external.ak.fbcdn.net/safe_image.php?d=d488f7ecfd42c822cbc4964ff26fb032&url=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.inquirer.net%2Finquirervdo %2Fpic056164607.jpg&w=130&h=130

To see video ==> FORTUNE COOKIE (http://www.dyaryoboy.com/cgi-bin/webframe.pl?http://www.inquirer.net/)

bhinov
09-24-2009, 02:58 PM
Good to hear some of the players are involved in charity programs and foundations like Rob Johnson. I've seen him in Hardball earlier with Kelly Williams and Lamont Waters. Man, Kelly gained some weight. Laki ng pisngi. LOL:D

neo
09-24-2009, 04:28 PM
what's the latest news on dignadice?

is he still wasted and using it?

no help from the other ncc boys?

nardy
09-24-2009, 05:20 PM
what's the latest news on dignadice?

is he still wasted and using it?

no help from the other ncc boys?

http://i38.tinypic.com/208i2ye.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2113/2347140502_a85e4982f7_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/20471732@N00/2347140502)

Dinamita
09-24-2009, 08:33 PM
dignadice looks hella old.. damn...

Cammomile
09-24-2009, 08:55 PM

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2113/2347140502_a85e4982f7_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/20471732@N00/2347140502)

Racela is timeless...OMG:eek:

neo
09-25-2009, 04:40 AM

that's nice that he still plays. hopefully he's fully clean :)

c_d
10-20-2009, 05:14 PM
Ex-Beerman Carmona still takes it to the hoops in London (http://www.gmanews.tv/story/175127/ex-beerman-carmona-still-takes-it-to-the-hoops-in-london)
BOBBY RONDEZ
10/20/2009 | 07:01 PM

http://www8.gmanews.tv/webpics/sports/Carmona_Bobby_Rondes.jpg

LONDON – Big man Ronaldo “Jude" Carmona gets the ball inside the shaded lane and powers his way into the basket.

This was a familiar scene during Carmona’s days in local cage leagues – National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), Philippine Basketball League (PBL) and the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA).

Nowadays, the 6-foot-8 former San Miguel Beerman makes those moves in a less glamorous league in the British capital. Though the opponents he defies are not in the caliber of an Asi Taulava or an Erik Menk, for Carmona, it still presents the same good feeling.

Now 32 years old, Carmona enjoys playing his role as the tower of power for one of the teams in a league called KAMPI (Kapisanan ng mga Manlalaro sa Inglatera), which was organized by a group of Filipino old-timers based here.

“Para sa akin kahit hindi na kasing level ng PBA o sa PBL, masaya na ako (I’m still happy even if the games are not the same level as in the PBA or PBL)," said Carmona, who’s been living in London with his wife and two kids for the last six years.

“Gusto ko ring ma-encourage ko iyung mga batang player at tulungan din sila na ma-develop ang skills nila sa paglalaro (I want to encourage the younger players and help them develop their playing skills)," he added.

Carmona used to have a promising basketball career in the Philippines – until the influx of Filipino-foreign players displaced him and several other homegrown cagers.

He played for the Perpetual Help Altas in the NCAA and was part of the Welcoat team that won back-to-back PBL titles in 1999 and 2000. He joined the pro ranks in 2000, suiting up for San Miguel for the next three years but struggled to get playing time as much of the exposure went to Fil-Ams in the roster.

As such, Carmona decided to pack his bags for London, where his wife works as a nurse at Wellington Hospital in Epson, Surrey.

“Dahil madalang na ako nagagamit at lumiit na rin ang playing time ko, ini-request ko na magpa-trade sa ibang team pero hindi nila ako pinansin. So after nun, inisip ko na ang future ko kaya nabuo sa isip ko na sumunod sa asawa ko dito (Since I am seldom used and my playing time declined, I requested to be traded into another team but they won’t release me. So, I decided to follow my wife in England)," he recalled.

A management graduate at Perpetual Help, Carmona has found work as a care worker in the same hospital as his wife’s, helping and supporting people with learning disability.

Though he’s already a naturalized British citizen and living a good life in London, the soft-spoken giant still takes time to indulge in his first love - basketball.

And Carmona wants to share his skills with kids, especially Fil-Britons who might someday make it big in the sport.

“Isa yan sa pangarap ko – ang makapag-develop ng mga Fil-Briton at ilagay sila sa isang project na liga kung saan pwede natin silang tulungan sa training at development sa tulong ng mga kababyan natin dito sa UK (That’s one of my dreams – to develop a Filipino-British player and put up a league where we can help train and develop their skills with the help of our fellow Filipinos in the UK)," he said.

For this endeavor, Carmona seeks to get backing from KAMPI officials and hopes to touch base with his former San Miguel teammates Michael Mustre and Arniel Bravo, who are said to be playing in another Filipino-organized league in the east part of London.

Finding no place in the PBA turned out to be a blessing in disguise after all for Carmona, who’s been having a ball as a family man, care worker, and yes a franchise player for his team in Her Majesty’s homeland.
– GMANews.TV

donmar
10-20-2009, 05:33 PM
Obviously we all know that already...:D

No offense but that was a two years old post intended to answer a fellow Pinoy from Canada...:p

saints13
10-21-2009, 01:24 AM
Ex-Beerman Carmona still takes it to the hoops in London (http://www.gmanews.tv/story/175127/ex-beerman-carmona-still-takes-it-to-the-hoops-in-london)
BOBBY RONDEZ
10/20/2009 | 07:01 PM

http://www8.gmanews.tv/webpics/sports/Carmona_Bobby_Rondes.jpg

– GMANews.TV

my friend who lives in London said that Carmona is together with Pinoy friends who are in the caregiving/nursing industry in London.

lovejones
10-21-2009, 07:26 AM
Maybe we could ask Wynne Arboleda what he is doing right now

ankle breaker
10-21-2009, 03:08 PM
Maybe we could ask Wynne Arboleda what he is doing right now
busy attending his taxi business. or maybe helping out sending parcels and packages of air21.

thayil
10-25-2009, 03:27 AM
how bout jon Ordonio?

noilsen
10-25-2009, 04:57 AM
how bout jon Ordonio?

i think he's playing in the ABA league in the states..

xavier13
11-02-2009, 02:27 AM

mike mustre is in london along with ruel bravo and carmona playing in KAMPI the biggest basketball oragniser.

Red Baron
11-02-2009, 03:24 PM
How about Jon Cardel of Alaska ( He also play in MBA in Negros Slasher) and Castelo of Alaska

randomguy
11-03-2009, 12:13 AM
How about the former MBA players like;

AC Brown
Cid White
Sonny Margate
Mike Garcia
Dean Labayen
Jeffrey Flowers
Chandler Donaldson
Nestor Echano

Johnny A
11-03-2009, 12:48 AM
WHere are they? former Pepsi players

Eugene quilban
Larry Villanil
Joy Carpio
Mark Anthony Tallo (5ft 5in)???
Carlito Mejos
Jun Jabar
Naning Valenciano

thadzonline
11-03-2009, 02:39 AM

Eugene quilban
Larry Villanil
Joy Carpio
Carlito Mejos
Jun Jabar
Naning Valenciano

Tallo runs a clinic in Cebu and he is definitely taller than 5'5". My cousin was in his clinic a few years back and he's definitely much taller than me, me being 5'5"

Johnny A
11-03-2009, 04:38 AM
Tallo runs a clinic in Cebu and he is definitely taller than 5'5". My cousin was in his clinic a few years back and he's definitely much taller than me, me being 5'5"
Good to know he's doing well. He's listed as 5'-5", one of the smallest players in the PBA, if not the smallest, another small guy, the flying A, Johnny Abarrientos is listed as 5'-7", my brother have seen both in person, and he says both are smaller than listed. Anyway, its no big deal. I'd appreciate any update of the infamous whipping boys of the PBA, the Pepsi team. Thanks.

neo
11-03-2009, 03:03 PM

Eugene quilban
Larry Villanil
Joy Carpio
Carlito Mejos
Jun Jabar
Naning Valenciano

naning valenciano 2008, click on this link:

http://www.thefilipino.com/PASAA/2008/

c_d
11-18-2009, 01:50 PM
Grand (Slam) Reunion (http://bleachersbrew.blogspot.com/2009/11/grand-slam-reunion.html)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_BquY6zd9Wxo/SwPbVa20IGI/AAAAAAAAJys/H9R0lYtQA9M/s400/Ato+with+former+SMB+teammates.jpg

Members of San Miguel's 1989 Grand Slam team in the PBA threw a congratulatory dinner for teammate Ato Agustin who piloted the San Sebastian Stags to the 2009 NCAA Seniors Men's Crown. The dinner held at the Kamayan sa EDSA featured: Tonichi Yturri, Elmer Reyes, Bobby Jose, Alvin Teng, Samboy Lim, Hector Calma, Franz Pumaren, and Agustin. Paul Alvarez later joined San Miguel but not as a part of the 1989 Grand Slam team.

ankle breaker
11-18-2009, 04:03 PM
naning valenciano 2008, click on this link:

http://www.thefilipino.com/PASAA/2008/

i can see naning wearing jersey #15 for the purple squad. khalif fortune is also with the orange team wearing jersey #1. he used to play in the PBL for the bacchus i think.

neo
11-21-2009, 09:48 AM
and of course most of us know already the new career path of hatfield as reported in gma 7 :cool:

thadzonline
11-24-2009, 01:18 PM
ANyone remembers an Alvin Attles III playing for a PBA team?

http://www.attlesschool.com/

c_d
01-25-2010, 03:05 PM
Whatever happened to Jon Ordonio? (http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=543909&publicationSubCategoryId=69)
SPORTING CHANCE
By Joaquin Henson (The Philippine Star) Updated January 26, 2010 12:00 AM

Former PBA cager Jon Ordonio recently sent an e-mail explaining the circumstances behind his sudden departure from Manila in November 2004. It’s been over five years since he left and Ordonio hadn’t made contact until a few days ago.

Ordonio, 33, was born in Salinas, California. His mother Corazon is a full-blooded Filipina whose father is from Bauang, La Union, and mother from Hawaii. The 6-2 guard with the 40-inch vertical leap made his PBA debut as a Fil-Am with Pop Cola in 1999. He went on to suit up for Alaska and Red Bull until for some strange reason, his name was included in a watch list of eight Fil-Am players suspected of forging documents to acquire Filipino citizenship.

Ordonio is clearly half-Filipino and there’s no doubt he has Filipino lineage.

In his six-year PBA career, Ordonio was never a star in the mold of a Ryan Reyes or a Willie Miller. He posted his highest scoring average as a rookie, hitting at a 7.5 clip in 33 games with a high of 16. Ordonio wound up averaging 3.4 points in 171 total games.

Ordonio was a role player, someone who did the dirty work on the court, picking up loose balls in wild dives, setting picks, deflecting passes and playing hard-nosed defense. He was never a serious three-point threat and in his PBA career, knocked down only 10 of 56 attempts – less than 20 percent accuracy. But Ordonio worked hard to improve, game after game, and coaches rewarded his dedication by signing him to series of contracts that extended his career to six seasons.

The way Ordonio was told to leave the country was heartless. He was given only three days to pack his belongings after making it to the Department of Justice’s black list. His wife Jacquie and their two kids Kobe, 5, and Tahjae, 3, were in shock as was Ordonio himself.

Worse, Jacquie decided to stay in Manila. Ordonio decided to leave with the two boys for the US and left his wife behind.

“It was very hard for me to leave the country (but) I knew God had a plan for me and my family,” he said. “I didn’t know what it was but because of my faith in Him, something good was going to happen. Jacquie had her own life going on. We didn’t work out but it didn’t bother me. My job was to take care of my kids. She decided to stay so I flew back with Kobe and Tahjae.”

When Ordonio and the boys got to the Manila airport to check in, he was informed that the flight to San Francisco was cancelled. Ordonio asked if they could stay the night and leave the next day but immigration officials insisted on taking the flight to Los Angeles instead.

“I had to call my parents and my dad drove all the way down to Los Angeles from Monterey (120 miles south of downtown San Francisco) to pick us up,” he recounted. “So there I was, with my kids, being escorted out of the country. My kids were young so they didn’t know what was going on and they don’t remember. The good thing about it was that I didn’t have to wait in line. I got on the plane with the boys and I prayed to God. I prayed for a safe flight. I prayed for my life to turn around, for God to take care of me and my kids. I told God I would get in the backseat because when I was in Manila, all I wanted to be was in the front seat and I did what I wanted to do. It didn’t work out and now, I cried out to God.”

Ordonio said since landing in the US, he has rediscovered himself and found a new life.

“When I got back, I went to the gym and found Taryn,” he went on. “Taryn and I went to high school together. She was in the gym watching her son because he had practice. I sat next to her, showed her pictures of my kids. We talked a bit and I went off to lift weights. Later that week, we hung out then two years later, on Jan. 21, 2007, we got married. Before that, I was in and out of court going through all the legal issues with Jacquie, going through the divorce and custody.”

Ordonio said Jacquie stayed in Manila only about six to seven months more then flew back to the US. “She was in a relationship so when she came back, it was only to visit the boys,” continued Ordonio. “She ended up staying. To make a long story short, our divorce was final and I have custody of Kobe and Tahjae. She moved down to San Diego in July 2007. Since then, she hasn’t called, texted or sent me an email to see how the boys are doing.”

Ordonio said marrying Taryn was the best thing that ever happened to him.

“The boys call Taryn mom,” he said. “Taryn has a 13-year-old son DeSean. He’s in eighth grade and he plays basketball. He has Filipino blood. His grandmother is full Filipina.”

Ordonio said Kobe is now 10 and Tahjae, eight, plus, he has a 17-month-old boy Dekota – an amalgam of the first two letters of his brothers names, DeSean, Kobe and Tahjae.

Ordonio said Kobe will become the star he never was. “On Youtube, you’ll see Kobe when he was eight and he’s way better now,” he gushed. “College kids, high school kids, you name it, are going nuts when they see him play. My stepson is about 5-8 now, very tall. Tahjae is only an inch shorter than Kobe and they’re 18 months apart. So Taryn and I have our hands full but we’re loving every minute of it. It’s a challenge at times but that’s what being a parent is all about.”

neo
01-26-2010, 02:55 AM
at least he was able to move on.good for him. too bad the article did not mention his present work.

Big Ticket
01-26-2010, 03:06 AM
jon ordonio's ex-wife was a hottie!

Aqua Light
01-26-2010, 01:15 PM
Nandy Garcia former Ginebra/Alaska player, holds basketball clinic at Alabang and Cavite during weekends

neo
01-26-2010, 02:45 PM
jon ordonio's ex-wife was a hottie!

i find her cute but i'd rather go for MC's fil-ausie gf :D

manu_bol
01-26-2010, 02:49 PM
mon fernandez - junmar fajardo's trainer

:D

nashill
01-26-2010, 02:50 PM
i find her cute but i'd rather go for MC's fil-ausie gf :D

MC who?

nashill
01-26-2010, 02:53 PM
MC who?

ok, found this old thread

http://forums.interbasket.net/f10/the-hottest-wife-girlfriend-in-rp-5889/

jaric? lucky guy ha!

neo
01-26-2010, 02:57 PM
ok, found this old thread

http://forums.interbasket.net/f10/the-hottest-wife-girlfriend-in-rp-5889/

jaric? lucky guy ha!

mc of bgk hehe

adriana lima or mrs.jaric is indeed hot.the photo in the link does not even give justice to her hotness.

Dotch
01-26-2010, 07:25 PM
Albert Gidaben was in my cuz's filipino store in Union, NJ. He also ate there once. My tito said he's a bigtime celebrity / pro baller back home.

I also saw Alvin Patrimonio at the foodcourt in the mall in Paramus, NJ..don't know if he's just visiting or a resident already

LordOfLeyte
01-31-2010, 11:28 PM
I just saw Rudy Distrito as a reformed and free man; and has since returned to Bacolod. Saw the feature story on Korina Sanchez's show.

c_d
02-01-2010, 09:59 AM
Ex-PBA cager calls unity in basketball (http://www.sunstar.com.ph/bacolod/ex-pba-cager-calls-unity-basketball)
Monday, February 1, 2010
By Jerome S. Galunan Jr.

FORMER PBA cager Rudy Distrito Friday stressed unity in Philippine basketball which gradually has deteriorated due to factions and politics in the organization.

Distrito, who arrived in Bacolod after staying in the US for several years, cited that should the dispute among the people in the organization is not resolved, the Philippine basketball will have no where to go.

He said even how hard its lower arms strive to strengthen the development of basketball sports but would remain impossible.

Moreover, the erstwhile stalwart has disagreed moves of hiring foreign players to play in the country and becomes a candidate for naturalization.

He said there are lots of talents in the provinces that can be tapped.

“There are many talents in the provinces that were not given the chance to prove their skills,” said Distrito.

Distrito plans to conduct basketball clinics and impact his skills with local talents. He also said that he is looking forward of helping the local cagers attain their dreams of playing in big leagues in Manila.

“We need to help our local talents here even if it’s difficult to enter big leagues in Manila especially if you have no connection no matter how good a cager is,” Distrito noted.

Meanwhile, Distrito also cited that basketball sports nowadays are quite different than during their time. While the skills and performances of players improved yet the way games are being played is more commercialized, he said.

Fans are somehow neglected by these leagues. “The fans should also be given attention considering that they are the ones who give strength to the players and should not be taken for granted,” said Distrito.

c_d
02-08-2010, 07:08 PM
Chester Tolomia and Frederick Canlas playing in Malaysia's NBL(?)

They played for the NBL Selection that competed in Surabaya International Challenge Last December 2009...link (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=id&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fmainbasket.wordpress.com%2F2009%2F1 2%2F05%2Fmalaysia-nbl-selection-kalahkan-garuda-flexi-bandung-surabaya-international-challenge%2F)

The experience of our senior players, Chester Tolomia and Frederick Canlas, making the team appear more often remained calm even during the game, "added Tan Kee Hian.

patay-butiki
02-09-2010, 03:34 PM
former alaska forward giovanni pineda is in u.a.e.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1401380558#!/profile.php?v=info&id=1401380558

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/v229/1027/122/n1401380558_9359.jpg

Basic Information

Sex:Male
Relationship Status:Married
Looking For:Networking

Personal Information

About Me:Simple and happily married man

Education and Work

College:
Adamson University '92
High School:
UNIVERSITY OF SANTO TOMAS '89

Employer:Foster Wheeler International Corporation
Position:Adminsistration Assistant
Time Period:January 2006 - Present

logre23
02-22-2010, 02:25 AM
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/7882/rnhalawitempg.gif

Crisano to be a boxer? Yes, says ABAP

source: Joey Villar | philstar.com

The Amateur Boxing Association of the Philippines is planning to tap professional basketball players to fill the weight category that hasn’t really produced anything in past international competitions – heavyweight.

ABAP secretary-general Patrick Gregorio yesterday said the best source of potential heavyweight gold medallist is in the PBA, particularly those who are big men who have expired contracts or who were cut from the team.

“That’s the reason we’re looking for Alex Crisano because he’s not only huge and athletic, we know he’s a fighter by heart,” said Gregorio.

Gregorio said they’re now looking for Crisano, a muscled 6’7” who packed power, after learning he was cut from Barako Bull’s roster in the pros.

“He hasn’t answered our calls yet but we will not give up on him, we know if given the right training and international exposures, he can be the guy that could give us our first heavyweight gold medal in boxing,” said Gregorio.

ABAP hopes to entice Crisano with the knowledge that aside from the ample monthly training allowance given to a national athlete he can also snare P3 million for a gold medal in the quadrennial Asian tilt, P1 million for a silver and P500,000 for a bronze.

That’s on top of what he will receive from the Philippine Sports Commission.

http://teampilipinas.info/2010/02/crisano-to-be-boxer-yes-says-abap.html

kaiziken_pinas
02-22-2010, 04:42 AM
and what is crisano's take on this?

Aqua Light
02-22-2010, 05:17 AM
If Crisano is willing to be a boxer, i think he has a better chance of winning against SEA opponents. But i dunno if Alex has a background in boxing, he looks more of a wrestler:D

demonyito
02-22-2010, 10:21 AM
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/7882/rnhalawitempg.gif

Crisano to be a boxer? Yes, says ABAP

source: Joey Villar | philstar.com

The Amateur Boxing Association of the Philippines is planning to tap professional basketball players to fill the weight category that hasn’t really produced anything in past international competitions – heavyweight.

ABAP secretary-general Patrick Gregorio yesterday said the best source of potential heavyweight gold medallist is in the PBA, particularly those who are big men who have expired contracts or who were cut from the team.

“That’s the reason we’re looking for Alex Crisano because he’s not only huge and athletic, we know he’s a fighter by heart,” said Gregorio.

Gregorio said they’re now looking for Crisano, a muscled 6’7” who packed power, after learning he was cut from Barako Bull’s roster in the pros.

“He hasn’t answered our calls yet but we will not give up on him, we know if given the right training and international exposures, he can be the guy that could give us our first heavyweight gold medal in boxing,” said Gregorio.

ABAP hopes to entice Crisano with the knowledge that aside from the ample monthly training allowance given to a national athlete he can also snare P3 million for a gold medal in the quadrennial Asian tilt, P1 million for a silver and P500,000 for a bronze.

That’s on top of what he will receive from the Philippine Sports Commission.

http://teampilipinas.info/2010/02/crisano-to-be-boxer-yes-says-abap.html

Freddie Roach said that Boxers are born and not made. but why not maybe he is destined to be a boxer after basketball career and a short film with ethel booba.

than11
02-22-2010, 09:28 PM
If Crisano is willing to be a boxer, i think he has a better chance of winning against SEA opponents. But i dunno if Alex has a background in boxing, he looks more of a wrestler:D

Surely..He'll be the one and only heavyweight in the draw..no opponents.:) Unless Thailand manufactures one also..:)