PDA

View Full Version : Philippines womens NT

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Lebron23
12-07-2007, 12:35 PM
well like what all filipinos say "The Filipinas are the most beautiful women here in the planet".

Co-signed :D

saints13
12-07-2007, 01:52 PM
may pakialamerong bossing dito sa thread, pati ba naman mga pinay iniissue pa.

translation:
Filipina players who are good looking looks hot. :)

ankle breaker
12-07-2007, 04:10 PM
may pakialamerong bossing dito sa thread, pati ba naman mga pinay iniissue pa.

translation:
Filipina players who are good looking looks hot. :)
in short, yummypinays.

RayV
12-08-2007, 12:22 AM
in short, yummypinays.

^Ahhh... now I know what type of sites you are visiting... don't worry bro, pareho tayo... :D

Anyways, I noticed that most Filipinas mixed with foreign blood are exceptionally pretty (one case in point: Nicole Scherzinger of the Pussycat Dolls)...

one reason why Fil-am cagers like Vicky looks stunning... :D

FilWelsh
12-08-2007, 08:28 PM
RP cagebelles have yes on SEAG gold after drubbing Singapore

By Musong R. Castillo
Inquirer
Last updated 07:29pm (Mla time) 12/08/2007

Games Sunday
(Keelapirom Stadium)
3 p.m. Philippines vs Indonesia (M)
5 p.m. Philippines vs Thailand (W)

NAKHON Ratchasima -- The Philippine womens cage team went full steam ahead for three quarters Saturday and primed itself up for a shot at a first-ever gold medal in the Southeast Asian Games.

Fil-American Melissa Jacob led a searing charge by the Filipinas in the first half, where they broke the game open before cruising in the final period to win impressively over Singapore, 67-55, at the Keelapirom Stadium here.

And that makes the 5 p.m. (6 p.m. Manila time) Sunday showdown with the dangerous and defending champion Thais the winner-take-all match even if both teams would still be left with one more game in the elimination round.

The Filipinas, who held Singapore to just nine third quarter points, will still clash with Malaysia on Wednesday while the Thais, who debut Tuesday against Singapore, are also scheduled to battle the Malaysians on Thursday.

If we win tomorrow [Sunday], it would be all over, beaming head coach Fritz Gaston said. For all intents and purposes, that would be the championship match. And it wont be easy.

Jacob, a 5-foot-10 guard who hails from Pangasinan, scored the bulk of her team-high 19 points in the first half while Joan Grajales finished with 11 markers.

The victory underscored the preparedness of the Filipinas in trying to snap an age-old drought in the event and Gaston has the lineup that could finally do it only two of all 12 women fielded scoring.

Jacob also finished with seven rebounds while hitting all but one of seven free throws.

Easy was the way the Filipinas disposed of the Singaporeans as they opened up a 24-13 lead after the first before taking a 53-38 bubble into the fourth quarter where Gaston still tried not exposing his aces so much.

Thailand has grown wary of the Filipinas after seeing so many new names in the RP roster, and this resulted in the schedule of the womens games being revised so many times before action finally opened on Friday.

The feared Filipinos, meanwhile, also play a crucial match Sunday, locking horns with Indonesia at 5 p.m. in what coaching staff later described was their version of the title match.

That will be our championship game, mens coach Junel Baculi said just after a light workout Saturday even if his wards had come from a 136-82 shellacking of Cambodia the night before.

Gabe Norwood will be a marked man against the Indons, not that he was flashy against the Cambodians, and all, but because the offense of the Filipinos rotated most of the time around him.

The former George Mason University standout in the United States finished with 11 points and was one of nine in double figures for Baculi.

The Scores:

PHILIPPINES 67 -- Jacob 19, Grajales 11, Brick 9, Valencia 8, Tioseco 6, Narcisa 5, Tolentino 3, Vega 2, Adriano 2, Issa 2, Jose 0, Matsuno 0.

SINGAPORE 55 -- Zhou 19, Poon 12, Koh 8, Toh 6, Lin 5, Ho 3, W. Ang 2, J. Ang 0, Tan 0.

Quarters: 24-13, 35-29, 53-38, 67-55.

RetiredJordanStopper
12-09-2007, 11:28 PM
RP Cagebelles lost by a big margin over the Thais the other day

Servinio
12-10-2007, 09:06 AM
EVEN if they don't win the Gold Medal, the RP Women's NT gave a very good performance. At least this time, the Gold Medal was in reach. A Silver Medal is more than ok, hey how many Silvers have we won before anyway?!

This is a good sign for the 2009 SEA Games and the coming qualifying tournaments for the FIBA-Asia Women's Championships where we hope and pray that the Filipinas will be finally promoted to Division I after years of languishing in Division II.

joel23
12-10-2007, 09:43 AM
EVEN if they don't win the Gold Medal, the RP Women's NT gave a very good performance. At least this time, the Gold Medal was in reach. A Silver Medal is more than ok, hey how many Silvers have we won before anyway?!

This is a good sign for the 2009 SEA Games and the coming qualifying tournaments for the FIBA-Asia Women's Championships where we hope and pray that the Filipinas will be finally promoted to Division I after years of languishing in Division II.

Atleast, we saw their performance still there. But it's very too far yet and needs some more eating rice also should recruiting taller Filipinas(atleast 6'4)and talented Fil-foreigners for improving our level. And our ladies shall try to make Asian power to beat China, Japan, Korea and Taipei. I hope will same level rank to our mens.

joel23
12-10-2007, 09:43 AM

Atleast, we saw their performance still there. But it's very too far yet and needs some more eating rice also should recruiting taller Filipinas(atleast 6'4)and talented Fil-foreigners for improving our level. And our ladies shall try to make Asian power to beat China, Japan, Korea and Taipei. I hope our girls will same level rank to our mens.

chokois
12-10-2007, 10:22 AM
I would have hoped for both GOLDS in Men and Women. But i hope SBP will have their eyes full open in this fact that we are improving yet our improvement seemed not to be peaking this SEAg. With aggresive recruitment, LAOS SEAg might be a different story.

Butata
12-10-2007, 12:37 PM
Nothing against coach Gaston but I think we should hand-over the women's NT program to a higher profile coaching personality and the only one that comes to mind at this point is former NT mentor Joe Lipa.

Joe is free from any coaching engagements to-date (after his unceremonious and politically-charged exit from the UP men's team) but still is one of the country's most brilliant basketball minds.

His highly-principled approach to the game (w/c at times puts him in trouble with meddling officials and egotistic players) may be what the women's game in our country needs.

Unknown to many, he has already coached the RP women's NT back in the 1985 SEAG. I'm excited to see what he can do with all the talent at hand right now.

He has a lot to prove after what UP did to him and I can feel his hunger to make a point can only translate to a more determined effort on his part. The SBP should give him a call.

joel23
12-10-2007, 01:00 PM
Also the weakness are they're lack in fundamentals, slow, flat footed players... They need to use suicides during their practice esp. shooting, conditioning. Their shooting drills must surely shot if didn't make she should give penalty suicides. Should our boys must teach them how to win ball games.

ankle breaker
12-10-2007, 02:43 PM
Also the weakness are they're lack in fundamentals, slow, flat footed players... They need to use suicides during their practice esp. shooting, conditioning. Their shooting drills must surely shot if didn't make she should give penalty suicides. Should our boys must teach them how to win ball games.
if they all commit suicide, then nobody will be left behind for the team.

interxavierxxx
12-10-2007, 04:41 PM

suicide is a term used for warm-up that involves running full court while touching a quarter of the court.

qnxt
12-11-2007, 12:53 AM
suicide is a term used for warm-up that involves running full court while touching a quarter of the court.

Yeah, SUICIDE is RUnning, touching the floor then runs again. But if you mean that no player's left because players are to be tired of it, then let's hope they'll make some other sacrifice. Suicide is common for Endurance.

b3lowzro
12-11-2007, 04:27 AM

hehe very funny

RetiredJordanStopper
12-11-2007, 07:34 AM
suicide drills are also a form of punishment for underperforming and for hard headed players

joel23
12-11-2007, 09:22 AM
And also they should to train with the boys in practice...
Our ladies must using the mens drills...

rick_james_beach
12-11-2007, 10:20 AM
Nothing against coach Gaston but I think we should hand-over the women's NT program to a higher profile coaching personality and the only one that comes to mind at this point is former NT mentor Joe Lipa.

Joe is free from any coaching engagements to-date (after his unceremonious and politically-charged exit from the UP men's team) but still is one of the country's most brilliant basketball minds.

His highly-principled approach to the game (w/c at times puts him in trouble with meddling officials and egotistic players) may be what the women's game in our country needs.

Unknown to many, he has already coached the RP women's NT back in the 1985 SEAG. I'm excited to see what he can do with all the talent at hand right now.

He has a lot to prove after what UP did to him and I can feel his hunger to make a point can only translate to a more determined effort on his part. The SBP should give him a call.

Coach Lipa is a good candidate for the coaching position, but I think we can find a better one. Coach Lipa was good, yes no question about it. He coached the only men's championship for UP, but it seems that age is catching up to him. Not questioning his fire and fervor for coaching, but his "old" methodology for coaching didn't caught up with the ever evolving game. He is not connecting to young players anymore and he always forget our names on practices, games, etc. You would find it funny when you hear him call a certain player a couple of names before hitting the right one, or not at all.

FilWelsh
12-11-2007, 03:22 PM
Team Pilipinas Women down to Thailand

Pall of gloom quickly descended on the venue when the RP women, armed with their first solid shot at the gold for the first time in SEAG history, were held to just four points in the third quarter in an ugly 70-54 loss to the hosts.

That 16-point losing margin could very well tell on the RP ladies, who will still play Malaysia on Wednesday needing to win by a bigger margin while hoping that Thailand loses one of its last two matches to forge a tiebreak for the crown.

The elimination-round topnotcher in both divisions automatically wins the gold medal. As it currently stands, the RP women are minus 4 on quotient after two outings.

For a while, it looked like the RP women would carve a historic achievement in the biennial meet. The RP ladies took a 32-29 lead into the third period. There, however, they started coming apart, falling prey to errors and taking low-percentage shots against a Thai defense that wouldn't allow any other option.

Leading scorer Melissa Jacob had to sit out most of the period because of fouls.

Thailand took a 50-36 bubble after the third that was never threatened until the end.
THAILAND 70--Yothanan 18, Tunsaw 13, Banmoo 12, Ludrodkil 9, Charoenrat 6, Pungkoksoong 5, Mathuros 4, Suksomwong 3, Chirdpercharat 0.

PHILIPPINES 54--Brick 18, Grajales 11, Valencia 7, Tioseco 6, Jacob 5, Tolentino 3, Matsuno 2, Narciza 2, Vega 0, Issa 0.

Quarters: 15-18, 29-32, 50-36, 70-54

ankle breaker
12-11-2007, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by joel23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankle breaker

suicide is a practice drill that doesn't involve shooting. it's a form of punishment for the players who have lackadaisical plays from previous games. specially when they lost stamina in the middle of the game. but that's not what he meant. refer to previous post:D

ramiscar
12-12-2007, 06:35 AM
any updates??

qnxt
12-12-2007, 06:46 AM
MAlaysia is ahead by 15 big points at the half...

PHI- 23
MAS- 38...

PHI- 10/13/
MAS- 19/19/

bolabasket
12-12-2007, 07:27 AM
it's now 64-47 for Malaysia...loks like its another loss for RP

qnxt
12-12-2007, 07:39 AM
RP CAGEBELLES lost to Malaysia.74-56. If only they were on a strong start....It's the final score...

Still,...they were fighters.
QUARTER SCOREs:
PHI: 10/13/16/17=56
MAS:19/19/14/22=74

bolabasket
12-12-2007, 08:45 AM
RP CAGEBELLES lost to Malaysia.74-56. If only they were on a strong start....It's the final score...

Still,...they were fighters.
QUARTER SCOREs:
PHI: 10/13/16/17=56
MAS:19/19/14/22=74

Asi Taulava will undergo sex change ... will take RP to FIBA Women's... :D

RetiredJordanStopper
12-12-2007, 09:08 AM
what's the average age of our women's NT?...i know half the team is still in college, and half are still in their early 20's with about 3 or 4 with solid US NCAA experience, plus based on this thread, a few more coming in, and the team has got good height..i think these components are good foundations,all they need is a solid experience and you can only do that participating in top notch tourneys . let's just hope SBP will continue to support the core of this team..a participation in next year's Women's Jones Cup perhaps..

qnxt
12-12-2007, 09:59 AM
what's the average age of our women's NT?...i know half the team is still in college, and half are still in their early 20's with about 3 or 4 with solid US NCAA experience, plus based on this thread, a few more coming in, and the team has got good height..i think these components are good foundations,all they need is a solid experience and you can only do that participating in top notch tourneys . let's just hope SBP will continue to support the core of this team..a participation in next year's Women's Jones Cup perhaps..

Only the Captain is 30+...I dont exactly know their ages but they are still young. Vicky is 25+,...Good Idea, JONES CUP is a good tournament for our Women National team. They should start training after SEAG or early January.

Sakamoto
12-12-2007, 11:37 AM
Only the Captain is 30+...I dont exactly know their ages but they are still young. Vicky is 25+,...Good Idea, JONES CUP is a good tournament for our Women National team. They should start training after SEAG or early January.
If im not mistaken, the person you are talking about is the veteran of many SEAgames women's basketball which is Emilia Vega. If im not mistaken she played already for 5 SEAgames and right now she is 35years old.

ankle breaker
12-12-2007, 02:40 PM
they still have lots of things to improve. anyway, they just started so we will expect them to do better next time.

kerouac82
12-12-2007, 03:11 PM
If im not mistaken, the person you are talking about is the veteran of many SEAgames women's basketball which is Emilia Vega. If im not mistaken she played already for 5 SEAgames and right now she is 35years old.

Emelia Vega was head coach of the women's team before the SBP appointed Fritz Gaston to the post. She is also the head coach of the highly-successful Adamson Lady Falcons. I believe this should be the last time she plays in the SEA Games. She would be better off calling plays from the bench, not on the court.

FilWelsh
12-12-2007, 09:08 PM
Women cagers earn a bronze

By REY C. LACHICA

NAKHON RATCHASIMA Forget a historic gold medal for the Philippine womens basketball team.

Despite being reinforced by Fil-foreign players, the RP womens team still absorbed a 56-74 beating at the hands of the Malaysians yesterday in the 24th SEA Games here.

With the loss, their second straight after a 70-54 loss to defending champion Thailand last Sunday, the RP cagebelles settled for a bronze medal.

It was a big disappointment.

The RP womens team arrived in this laid back province in high spirits but after its setback yesterday, the members of the team felt as if the world crashed on them.

Coach Fritz Gaston offered no excuses.

"Nagulat kami but I think mas appropriate yung natameme kami," Gaston said after the one-sided match.

Using their quickness and aggressiveness, the Malaysians took a 38-23 lead at halftime. The RP cagebelles, however, managed to cut the lead down to 10 early in the fourth through the effort of Joan Grajales and Vicky Brick.

But it proved to be their last hurrah as the Malaysians poured on the heat even more to finally settle the outcome of the game.

"I thought malakas kami but they (Malaysians) are more prepared than us and some of my players are not in shape," a dejected Gaston said.

The only team the beat was Singapore in the four-team tournament.

The scores:

Malaysia 74 Chow Siao Foong 16, Goh Beng Fong 14, Kew Sulk May 13, Teo Won Yuen 8, Beh Siew Lian 7, Yong Shin Min 6, Low Bee Chuan 4, Pee Yann Yann 3, Hee Shook Ying 3, Chan Ying Chee 0, Thoh Chai Ling 0, Lee Siew Fun 0

Philipiines 56 Grajales 13, Brick 10, Tioseco 7, Tolentino 7, Jacob 6, Vega 6, Issa 6, Velancia 1, Jose 0, Narsiza 0, Adriano 0, Matsuno 0.

ankle breaker
12-12-2007, 09:26 PM
Women cagers earn a bronze

By REY C. LACHICA

NAKHON RATCHASIMA Forget a historic gold medal for the Philippine womens basketball team.

Despite being reinforced by Fil-foreign players, the RP womens team still absorbed a 56-74 beating at the hands of the Malaysians yesterday in the 24th SEA Games here.

With the loss, their second straight after a 70-54 loss to defending champion Thailand last Sunday, the RP cagebelles settled for a bronze medal.

It was a big disappointment.

The RP womens team arrived in this laid back province in high spirits but after its setback yesterday, the members of the team felt as if the world crashed on them.

Coach Fritz Gaston offered no excuses.

"Nagulat kami but I think mas appropriate yung natameme kami," Gaston said after the one-sided match.

Using their quickness and aggressiveness, the Malaysians took a 38-23 lead at halftime. The RP cagebelles, however, managed to cut the lead down to 10 early in the fourth through the effort of Joan Grajales and Vicky Brick.

But it proved to be their last hurrah as the Malaysians poured on the heat even more to finally settle the outcome of the game.

"I thought malakas kami but they (Malaysians) are more prepared than us and some of my players are not in shape," a dejected Gaston said.

The only team the beat was Singapore in the four-team tournament.

The scores:

Malaysia 74 Chow Siao Foong 16, Goh Beng Fong 14, Kew Sulk May 13, Teo Won Yuen 8, Beh Siew Lian 7, Yong Shin Min 6, Low Bee Chuan 4, Pee Yann Yann 3, Hee Shook Ying 3, Chan Ying Chee 0, Thoh Chai Ling 0, Lee Siew Fun 0

Philipiines 56 Grajales 13, Brick 10, Tioseco 7, Tolentino 7, Jacob 6, Vega 6, Issa 6, Velancia 1, Jose 0, Narsiza 0, Adriano 0, Matsuno 0.
at least they got the bronze as a consolation to their preparation. we can say, better luck next time.

Butata
12-12-2007, 10:36 PM

Tsk..tsk..tsk...A coach should never blame his players. If he thinks they're not in shape, why choose them in the first place? This guy has no class; SBP should replace him immediately.

basketman
12-12-2007, 11:31 PM
Tsk..tsk..tsk...A coach should never blame his players. If he thinks they're not in shape, why choose them in the first place? This guy has no class; SBP should replace him immediately.

I think the line-up is gold medal material but the coach i don't think so the plays designed is not for international level. Compare to the plays of thailand. Retain the line-up and get foreign coach.

qnxt
12-13-2007, 01:09 AM
I think the line-up is gold medal material but the coach i don't think so the plays designed is not for international level. Compare to the plays of thailand. Retain the line-up and get foreign coach.

A foreign coach Again? It's not necessary of hiring a foreign coach. I think, we can produce or have a good coach. (here in RP), the women's team needs training and familiarity. The line up is a contender but the plays. They gave much playing time to Jacobs and Issa which are new to the team. Even Vicky is new. SO, all they need is FAMILIARITY. Those Malaysian and Thailanders have been together for years. I dont even think RP has been together for 3 months. (all of them as a team).

Dinamita
12-13-2007, 03:17 AM
one thing is for sure... AMIRA ISSA is a BUST!

She's the EJ FEIHL in our womens NT...3

:D :D :D

bolabasket
12-13-2007, 04:06 AM
one thing is for sure... AMIRA ISSA is a BUST!

She's the EJ FEIHL in our womens NT...3

:D :D :D

she also looks like him...has EJ Feihl married already? they should hook up, get married and have many babies...to supply both our men's and women's team...:D

donmar
12-13-2007, 04:07 AM
she also looks like him...has EJ Feihl married already? they should hook up, get married and have many babies...to supply both our men's and women's team...:D

hehehehe lol!:D:D:D

b3lowzro
12-13-2007, 05:43 AM
Lets wait for Japeth's sons and daughter :D we'll have better result compared to that pair you are proposing :D

geo
12-13-2007, 08:08 AM
Lets wait for Japeth's sons and daughter :D we'll have better result compared to that pair you are proposing :D

Yeah I agree bro.

Ventisei26
12-14-2007, 09:01 AM

When that time comes, I am sure some of the posters here are no longer breathing. :D

donmar
12-17-2007, 03:28 AM
Did you guys read about the news about fellow Filipino athletes stealing the uniforms of the RP Men's and Women's basketball team... they even stole Matsuno's undies :D....

Link: http://sports.inquirer.net/inquirersports/inquirersports/view_article.php?article_id=107100

Burndvinyard
12-17-2007, 05:02 AM

Yes, EJ is married with one daughter. Hopefully this young girl takes interest in basketball soon.

jesronne
12-17-2007, 09:56 AM
hey burnvinyard... hows the 6'9 chinoy going???

DaveMap2007
12-18-2007, 08:10 AM
damn she's also pretty... can't wait to see her play here... har har har!:D

she is a shooter and a scorer with avergae of 10.8 point per game

DaveMap2007
12-18-2007, 08:23 AM
TJ Breiz Miller - 5'4 age 14 yrs old

Dannika Lugtu and TJ Breiz Miller, both 14, didnt lose their cool as whistles blew, the crowd yelled Defense! and arms were flung in front of their faces, at the 2007 Amateur Athletic Union 13 and Under Girls National Basketball Championships held in Kings Island, Ohio. Their team finished third among 96 of the best teams in the nation in this years tournament.
Three years ago at the same tournament, they ended up in 26th place. The following year they finished ninth.
Breiz Miller, who is African American and Filipino, said her ethnicity has never been a barrier to the sport. You dont have to be a certain race to do something, said the Rebels point guard and captain. You can be a Chinese basketball player like Yao Ming. Its on you.
She cited Manny Pacquiao, Filipino professional boxer and reigning World Boxing Council International Super Featherweight champion, as a model who drives her to persevere. Hes a great example. If he can make it, I can make it too.
Lugtu, who is Filipino, said she sometimes senses discrimination from opposing players of other races. Some people may think that Filipinos or Asians dont work as hard as other races. The truth is, all players work to their desire. If they want to succeed, they will work five times as hard as everyone else and thats what I do.
Classmates are confident that Breiz Miller will make it to the WNBA, although she stands only 5 4. Ill play even harder if my opponents are taller than me, she said. I feel like its more of a challenge.
Likewise, guard Lugtu, at 52, is not worried about her height. To me, size doesnt matter. Its the heart.
She calls Dawn Staley, the three-time Olympic gold medalist who at 56 is one of the shortest players in the WNBA, an inspiration.
Breiz Miller used to have a more masculine mentality when she first started playing. Women are more team players. Women are more cooperative, she said. For the first three years, I wanted to be a star, and I wanted it to be about me. Now Im the one who passes the ball to my team to score a point, to make others shine.
Breiz Miller looks to Denver Nuggets shooting guard Allen Iverson as an exemplary team player and even selected the same jersey number as an homage. She also admires WNBA Most Valuable Player Lisa Leslie and Olympic gold medalist Sheryl Swoopes.
A native of California, Lugtu became interested in basketball after becoming aware of the sports immense popularity in the Philippines. I was actually influenced by that because it was nice to see Filipinos playing my favorite sport on TV, she said. Her father played basketball in high school in the Philippines, and she follows San Beda College sports in Alabang. Basketball also runs in Breiz Millers family: her grandfather is the director of a recreational league in the Philippines.
This fall, Breiz Miller and Lugtu will try out for the Sacred Heart Cathedral Preparatory high school basketball team as freshman.

gambitx
12-18-2007, 02:28 PM
Did you guys read about the news about fellow Filipino athletes stealing the uniforms of the RP Men's and Women's basketball team... they even stole Matsuno's undies :D....

Link: http://sports.inquirer.net/inquirersports/inquirersports/view_article.php?article_id=107100

Woooooooooww!! I'd love to have that too....:D :D

b3lowzro
12-21-2007, 06:43 PM
Woooooooooww!! I'd love to have that too....:D :D

i bet it can fit you too :P hehe well she's 5'11 so its really LARGE

gambitx
12-21-2007, 06:51 PM
i bet it can fit you too :P hehe well she's 5'11 so its really LARGE

It would fit on my head..:D :D the upper head...:D :D

ankle breaker
12-24-2007, 10:59 PM

her undies was found in the trash bin later. maybe the theft was done imagining her while doing the blang blang. :D i can't imagine what type of undies chiko loves to wear. is it a thong or bikinis. is it a lace or cotton? hehehehehe

Tsar Josef
12-25-2007, 03:06 PM
Somebody should start a women's commercial league! my new year's wish for SBP!:p

dreamwalker
03-02-2008, 10:50 PM
No longer the poor sisters
THE GAME OF MY LIFE By Bill Velasco
Monday, March 3, 2008 - Philstar

Womens basketball in the Philippines is on the verge of a big breakthrough, just as US womens basketball was back in 1995. The American women toured the world, playing mens teams and any competition they could find to drum up attention, compiling a spotless 50-win record before hitting the Atlanta Olympics like a storm. Immediately after, the Womens National Basketball Association (WNBA) was born, bringing the sport fully into the mainstream.

If you watch basketball in the Philippines, youd think no women played it. Only mens UAAP and NCAA games are televised, except for the womens finals. In one instance, an exhibition game had top womens teams using mens size basketballs. (Men use a size 7, women a size 6.) Last year, the Philippine womens team finally got some attention, but was it because they had talented Fil-Ams joining the team, had good-looking players, or because they were talented? Those questions are now being answered as the Philippine womens hoops team prepares for the 2009 Southeast Asian Basketball Association (SEABA) and Southeast Asian Games (SEAG) competitions.

After two years of suspension, the Philippines was given back full active membership by the FIBA (the international governing body for basketball). One of the goals of the new BAP-SBP was to win gold medals in the womens SEABA and SEA Games. We had hardly ever beaten Thailand and Malaysia, unlike in the mens competition, where we regularly trounced them. To make things worse, in our absence, they had gotten stronger by playing against tougher Asian competition.

SEABA was really intense. The level was so different from college, admits Cassy Tioseco, the six-foot forward-center from Ateneos champion UAAP team. Everyones emotions were so high. But I think we did surprisingly well given the short time we trained.

In that competition, they beat defending champion Thailand in their opening game, and were suddenly expected to sweep. But in the finals, Thailand got even, and relegated the RP women to second.

Considering the team was formed barely six months before the SEA Games in my opinion we played good enough last year, declares new head coach Haydee Ong, a former assistant who took over from Fritz Gaston after the SEA Games in Thailand in December. Everybody was expecting to get the gold medal after the silver medal finish in SEABA but unfortunately we failed to deliver the gold.

The team had gained a lot of attention with the arrival of 57 Fil-American guard Vicki Brick, a former US high school all-American. As a freshman for the University of Maryland, the do-it-all guard had 3.1 steals and 4.3 assists per contest in 26 games as a starter, the second and third best efforts, respectively, by a first-year player in NCAA history. Brick also suited up for Sydney in Australias WNBL, where she shot 40 percent from beyond the three-point line.

At the SEABA, we were almost all new, and younger, says AA Adriano, a swift forward from FEU. Vicki hadnt been with us long. At the SEA Games, the expectations were so high. Our defense fell apart, and our offense didnt click.

The hosts tried everything in the book to unsettle the Filipinas. This writer arrived in Nakhon Ratchasima right before the opening ceremonies to witness a shouting match involving basketball officials, who were surprised when the organizers suddenly switched schedules without FIBAs approval. Then-coach Fritz Gaston was informed on opening day that they would be playing the next morning, instead of two days later. And their first opponent would no longer be Thailand, but lightweight Singapore, giving the hosts a precious opportunity to scout them.

They were surprised that we had three new players in our roster, including two more Fil-Ams. Thats why they arbitrarily changed the schedule, Gaston said at the time. Theyre scared of losing to us.

The changes in schedule threw off the teams tight preparations, and deflated their morale, since the uncertainty in schedule kept them from joining the parade of athletes in the opening ceremony, which would have been a memorable first for almost all of them. They settled for playing pusoy at the athletes village and watching the opening on TV. Again, we fell short, losing to Thailand and eventual champion Malaysia. But to be fair, the referees consistently made bad calls against any team that was a threat. And the Philippines was the biggest threat out there.

Usually, you have a set sked that you follow, Tioseco says. We were really excited. Ive never been to an opening ceremony. We knew it would be a distraction. It may have affected some people. We expected to play two days later. You have to learn to adapt to those things.

After the losses in Thailand, rumors surfaced, rumors that there was discontent and disagreement among the players, and jealousy over the supposed preferential treatment (and bigger allowances) the Fil-Am players were receiving.

No there is no issues about the Fil-Am players and allowances, Ong affirms. Basically, the core of the team is still intact; only the Fil-Ams went back to the States. Basically the strength and weakness of the team will depend on how athletic and skilled the Fil-Am players will be, and to what the team needs in the future.There is nothing wrong in getting Fil-Am players.

Because of the success of the V-League, which includes national players reinforcing school-based teams, and great TV coverage from ABS-CBN, womens basketball now has a template to follow. And a commercial league will be born in April, the Filipina Basketball League.

The timing is now perfect, because many of SEA Games champion Malaysias players are retiring, and Thailand is also going to change its roster. At least two of our Fil-Ams are coming back, full-time, and many new, younger and taller players are trying out for the RP team.

Vengeance will be sweet in Laos.

Finally, a women's league.:)

bolabasket
03-03-2008, 03:11 AM
Finally, a women's league.:)
how about the WPBA?

Purefoods Tender Juicy Boobies :D
Sta. Lucia Lady Realtors
Red Bullettes:D
Barangay Ginebra Gin Queens
Talk-n-Text Call Girls :D
Magnolia Beverage Mistresses :D
Coca-Cola Tigresses
Air21 Quickies :D
Welcoat Lady Dragons
Alaska Milking Girls :D

rikhardur
03-03-2008, 11:02 AM
how about the WPBA?

Sta. Lucia Lady Realtors
Coca-Cola Tigresses
Welcoat Lady Dragons
Come on... Everytime women's basketball is mentioned there come the (sexist) jokes :rolleyes: Take it seriously as it should be.

ankle breaker
03-03-2008, 02:24 PM
how about the WPBA?

Sta. Lucia Lady Realtors
Coca-Cola Tigresses
Welcoat Lady Dragons
i think it's good to call them like this: it's more wholesome.:D
PF Lady Giants
Sta. Lucia Lady REaltors
Red Bull Brunnettes
BGK Gin Queens
Talk and Text Lady Phonepals
SMB Beer Ladies
Air21 Lady Express
Coca COla Tigresses
Welcoat Lady Dragons
Alaska Milkmaids

wena03
08-01-2008, 05:47 AM
feu won against UP on their last UAAP game for women's basketball...

bluedevil
10-08-2008, 06:33 PM
any picture of Prado sir?:)
Have you look at the Roque twins from Cleveland State? They're booth hottie! I saw them practice with the Philippines national team in for 2 weeks last august.

bluedevil
10-08-2008, 08:06 PM
Check out the twin sisters from Cleveland State.Both hotties! Saw them practice with the Philippine women's national team last August.

nardy
10-08-2008, 08:28 PM
Check out the twin sisters from Cleveland State.Both hotties! Saw them practice with the Philippine women's national team last August.

http://hooptowngta.com.hosting.domaindirect.com/06-07%20Images/NCAA/Angel%20Roque.jpg
Angel Roque

http://hooptowngta.com.hosting.domaindirect.com/05-06%20Images/Players/Jessica%20Roque100.jpg
Jessica Roque

http://www.eteamz.com/NStars/images/RoqueTwins.jpg
Roque Twins

Mortified Penguin
10-08-2008, 09:49 PM
http://hooptowngta.com.hosting.domaindirect.com/06-07%20Images/NCAA/Angel%20Roque.jpg
Angel Roque

http://hooptowngta.com.hosting.domaindirect.com/05-06%20Images/Players/Jessica%20Roque100.jpg
Jessica Roque

http://www.eteamz.com/NStars/images/RoqueTwins.jpg
Roque Twins

Nice looking girls. They're going to play in those Australian skin tight uniforms? If so, I have to get some pics of that.

bolabasket
10-09-2008, 03:10 AM
how tall are the Roque twins?

nardy
10-09-2008, 03:34 AM

Angel Roque is 5-5 while Jessica is 5-7.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0cu5frogR54OS/340x.jpg
Angel Roque in close pursuit

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/06hX1fBfazc26/610x.jpg
Jessica goes for the loose ball

palaman
10-09-2008, 07:57 PM
Just found out both Roque twins are very smart too.Both Pre-Med at Cleveland State avg 3.95 to 4.0 on their GPA.

palaman
10-09-2008, 08:02 PM
Nice looking girls. They're going to play in those Australian skin tight uniforms? If so, I have to get some pics of that.
Just found both Roque twins are very smart too.Both Pre-Med at Cleveland State avg 3.95 to 4.0 on their GPA.

ramzaruglia
10-09-2008, 08:52 PM
Well, I hope we can see them play in the Philippine soil and showcase their talents if ever this WPBA/WPBL will be established.

Mortified Penguin
10-09-2008, 09:05 PM
Just found both Roque twins are very smart too.Both Pre-Med at Cleveland State avg 3.95 to 4.0 on their GPA.

Pretty and smart? I might have to take a road trip up or down I guess to Cleveland State.

Who's with me? :D

ramzaruglia
10-09-2008, 09:07 PM
Pretty and smart? I might have to take a road trip up or down I guess to Cleveland State.

Who's with me? :D

A Mortified Penguin, eh???:p

From the looks of it yes, they are PRETTY and SMART. LOL!!!

mayfel
10-20-2008, 06:38 PM
with the revival of the wpbl
our wowen's nt is a force to reckon with in sea games because we can use this wpbl as a venue of honing our wowen's players skill and we can discover a new blood for our wowen's nt

thadzonline
01-19-2009, 01:44 AM
jessamine delos reyes of USC is a very talented player. why not invite her? they just crowned themselves as the new champion of CESAFI.

She is already part of the national team

nardy
01-19-2009, 07:10 AM
Thadz been in touch with Vicki Brick, she still wants to play. Problem is the WPBL 28 and under rule that makes Vicki overaged.

She's gonna convince her bro, Jonathan to join the Las Vegas Camp and also talk to other Fil-Ams that she has connections.

bolabasket
03-07-2009, 02:18 AM
RP women's juniors holds second tryout (March 6, 2009)

CDOs 65 Fretzie Oyao considered

WISHING to really get the best of best among the countrys youth women basketball players, the Careline-Philippine Womens Junior and Youth teams will hold another tryout for Metro Manila aspirants on March 7 at the Rizal Memorial Coliseum.

During the first tryout last February, 40 lady cagebelles appeared but RP Womens Youth chief backer Dioceldo Sy, chairman of Ever Bilena Cosmetics, Inc., said he knows there are more talented girls out there waiting to be discovered.

As of now, the team is considering getting the services of Fretzie Marie Oyao, a 6-foot-5 player from Cagayan de Oro City.

Sy said he expects more to come on Saturday before the coaching staff, led by Patrick Aquino, shifts its focus to the provinces in the hope of tapping the best available talents around for future international tournaments.

From the 40 who joined the first tryout, 18 of them will be asked to return as Aquino hopes to form the team next month in line with the effort of the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas under its president Manny V. Pangilinan and Executive Director Noli Eala in boosting womens basketball in the country.

We believe in the vision of SBP that for the country to become No. 1 in both the mens and womens divisions, we should maintain an elite and grassroots program for the womens youth sector. And that is the commitment of Careline to the SBP and to the country, said Sy.

The tryout for the RP 16-and-under team starts from 8 a.m. to 12 noon. Participants must bring photocopy of their birth certificates.

Players who wish to join the tryouts will get complimentary Careline products and t-shirts from Freego Jeans. PNA

mvblair
03-07-2009, 04:40 AM
How old is Fretzie Oyao? 6'5" is pretty good for anybody, let alone a young woman.

kerouac82
03-07-2009, 06:04 AM
How old is Fretzie Oyao? 6'5" is pretty good for anybody, let alone a young woman.

Sixteen or seventeen. I'm willing to bet she's the tallest Filipina in recent memory. I just hope it's not a case of gigantism, though.

LordOfLeyte
03-07-2009, 09:42 AM
RP women's juniors holds second tryout (March 6, 2009)

[B][I][SIZE="3"]

Players who wish to join the tryouts will get complimentary Careline products and t-shirts from Freego Jeans. PNA

Sweet.:D

jesronne
03-07-2009, 11:50 AM
Sixteen or seventeen. I'm willing to bet she's the tallest Filipina in recent memory. I just hope it's not a case of gigantism, though.

i think its not gigantism because i never heard a female who was diagnosed with gigantism... and ive seen her...

nardy
03-07-2009, 04:49 PM
Fretzie Oyao has gigantism as per my talk with Coach Eric Altamirano, he also told me then that the SBP is having her checked by the doctors here in Metro Manila as gigantism is fatal as a brain tumor might develop attached to his pituitary gland that the over-produces growth hormones.

But have not heard any updates about Fretzie lately.

jesronne
03-08-2009, 03:42 AM
oh im wrong... because when i see her she looks like a normal girl

rikhardur
03-08-2009, 04:27 AM
i think its not gigantism because i never heard a female who was diagnosed with gigantism... and ive seen her...
Sandy Allen (http://www.google.pt/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGLJ_enPT212PT212&q=sandy+allen)? :p
The only Fretzie Oyao pic I've seen was that one from the newspaper posted elsewhere, but it's not possible to see her face.

bolabasket
03-10-2009, 03:26 AM

Oyao is 15 going 16 this year...she's a batchmate of Papot Paredes when Papot was still with Sacred Heart School in CdeO

TrueBluePinoy
03-10-2009, 04:11 AM
Oyao is 15 going 16 this year...she's a batchmate of Papot Paredes when Papot was still with Sacred Heart School in CdeO

I wonder what's the secret of the guys from CDO?

tomcat
03-15-2009, 06:45 AM
The Philippine Star

Ong open to try out Fil-Am star
By Joaquin Henson Updated March 15, 2009 12:00 AM

http://photos-p.friendster.com/photos/77/81/4661877/1_703025042l.jpg
Jessica de la Cruz
MANILA, Philippines National womens basketball team coach Haydee Ong said yesterday the door is open for Fil-Am star Jessica de la Cruz of San Joaquin Delta College to try out for the squad now preparing for the SEABA tournament in Thailand on June 1-5 and the FIBA-Asia Championships in Taipei on June 21-28.

De la Cruz, a 5-7 shooting guard, is averaging 13.1 points in 30 games, including 28 starts, for the Lady Mustangs as a sophomore this season. She is shooting .427 from the field, .419 from three-point distance and .750 from the line. The 19-year-old Big 8 Conference MVP was born in Sacramento and her father Jeff is Filipino. Last Monday, de la Cruz hit 21 points, including 7-of-8 from the field and 4-of-4 free throws, to lead Delta to an 88-60 win over Ohlone College in Stockton, California.

The victory raised the varsitys record to 29-6 and brought the Lady Mustangs to the state finals against Antelope Valley College.

Ong, however, said she has no way to contact de la Cruz whose biofile was furnished The STAR by blogger Ferdie Alayon, a Filipino accountant based in Sacramento. Alayon, who writes as VicOngasis and heads a worldwide network of STAR bloggers known as Wanbol Uni, said he will try to track down de la Cruz and check on her availability for the national team.

In her varsity profile, de la Cruz said the one place she prefers to spend her vacation is the Philippines to keep in touch with my roots.

Ong, 39, said the national squad will play a series of tune-up games in Shanghai on March 26-April 5. A budget of P1.3 million was raised for the trip mainly by team manager Cynthia Tiu of Discovery Suites. Tius nephew Chris plays for the Philippine developmental team. Another patron Jimmy Tan has arranged for Ongs squad to live in townhomes in Shanghai during the training tour for free.

Ong said the cagebelles will play teams from Shanghai University and the Shanghai military, among others.

Two years ago, the Philippine team swept its elimination games but lost to Thailand in the finals of the SEABA Championships in Phuket. The squad went on to bag the bronze at the Southeast Asian (SEA) Games with coach Fritz Gaston and Ong as assistant.

Six players from the SEA Games roster are back - two-time UAAP MVP Cassie Tioseco, PBA cager Kiko Adrianos sister Aurora, Diane Rose Jose, Fatima Tolentino, Sylvia Marie Valencia and Joan Grajales. Added to the 16-strong lineup were Trina Limjengco, Bernadette Mercado, Chovy Borja, Ewan Arayi, Maritess Gabian, Karen Lomogda, Marichu Bacarro, Len Buenacosa, Flor Mata and Jesamine de los Reyes.

Missing are the three Fil-Ams who played in the SEA Games - Vicki Brick, Melissa Jacob and Amira Issa.

Im in contact with Vicki and Melissa, said Ong who coaches Ateneo and played on four UST championship teams in the UAAP from 1987 to 1991. Unfortunately, theyre not able to commit to three months training because of work. Theyre willing and excited to play for the national team again but they just cant take a long leave from work. When they played in the SEA Games, they trained less than a month and it wasnt enough. Well welcome them to join if they could only stay for at least three months.

Valencia, 29, is the oldest in the team and the 6-1 Mata, 21, is the youngest and tallest. Mercado, Borja, Adriano and Jose play for UAAP champion FEU.

Ongs staff is made up of assistant Ron Camara and strength and conditioning coach Pat Esmundo. She joined the national team as Bai Cristobals assistant for the 1998 Asian Games in Bangkok and stayed with the staff until 2004. She succeeded Gaston as head coach last year.

The Philippines hasnt played in the FIBA-Asia Womens Championships since 2004 when the team finished third in Level 2 or ninth overall.

Ong said Fil-Am twins Angel and Jessica Roque, who play for Cleveland State in Division I, were in Manila on vacation last October and attended three practices but couldnt commit to the national team until they graduate because of NCAA restrictions.

The Roques, 20, are juniors. Angel, 5-5, is averaging 6.9 points and Jessica, 5-7, 10.6 this season. They were born three hours apart in Ontario. Their father Ric is Filipino.

SBP executive director Noli Eala said if de la Cruz is interested to play for the country, she should express her intent now so a tryout could be scheduled.

I dont know her but if shes interested, we can try her out, said Eala. The team is leaving for Shanghai to train so I suggest she should already work out with the team.

Delta s season is about to end and de la Cruz should be free in a few weeks. Ong said there is still no confirmation if the SEABA tournament will be held although it has been calendared. If the SEABA joust is cancelled, there will be a lead time of about three months from now to train for the FIBA-Asia Championships starting June 21.

tomcat
03-24-2009, 10:08 AM
Shontay Delpit

5-10
Junior, Forward
Paramount, California

Personal: Born in Los Angeles, California...parents are Thelma and Calvin Delpit...nickname is Tay...favorites are Filipino food, movies Kings of Comedy and Finding Nemo, and NBA athlete Shaquille O'Neal...would most like to visit Paris, France.

Favorite quote: "Live everyday like it's your last because one day you'll be right."

Prior to HPU: Attended Cerritos Community College in Norwalk, California...lettered in basketball under Coach Karen Welliver...earned Second-Team All-Conference honors...a graduate of Paramount High School in Paramount, California...lettered in basketball under Coach Ernie Hill.

HPU: Begins first season.

http://hpu.edu/index.cfm?contentID=10620

Ventisei26
03-29-2009, 09:48 AM
Is Renee Goldoff of Chico State a Fil-Am?

http://www.chicowildcats.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=478&path=wbball

#33 Renee Goldoff

Position: C
Height: 6-1
Class: Senior
Hometown: Chatsworth
High School: Alemany HS

One of two fourth-year seniors on the team...Started all 29 games last season...Ripped down 21 rebounds vs. West Texas A&M last season, the second most in Chico State history and the most since 1999...Needs 37 more rebounds to become the ninth player in Chico State history with 500...Pre-Chico days: Graduated from Bishop Alemany High School in Mission Hills in 2005...Two time First Team All-Section selection...Earned First Team All-League honors three times...Averaged 16 points and seven rebounds per game as a senior...Also earned two letters in volleyball...Personal: Daughter of David and Christina Goldoff...Born 7/26/87 in the Philippines...Second of three children...Calls her dad before every game...Majoring in recreation management...Plans to own a wedding planning business.

+++++

She's a beauty.... :D

Lebron23
03-29-2009, 04:55 PM

#33 Renee Goldoff

One of two fourth-year seniors on the team...Started all 29 games last season...Ripped down 21 rebounds vs. West Texas A&M last season, the second most in Chico State history and the most since 1999...Needs 37 more rebounds to become the ninth player in Chico State history with 500...Pre-Chico days: Graduated from Bishop Alemany High School in Mission Hills in 2005...Two time First Team All-Section selection...Earned First Team All-League honors three times...Averaged 16 points and seven rebounds per game as a senior...Also earned two letters in volleyball...Personal: Daughter of David and Christina Goldoff...Born 7/26/87 in the Philippines...Second of three children...Calls her dad before every game...Majoring in recreation management...Plans to own a wedding planning business.

+++++

She looks like a Filipina. Ms. Renee is very attractive.

Grr_tiger
04-06-2009, 09:43 AM
http://deltatest.deltacollege.org/div/athletics/basketball_w/images/JDpic.jpg

2008 Coca Cola Classic Tournament MVP- Jessica Dela Cruz

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/clst/sports/w-baskbl/auto_headshot/2327528.jpeg
Angel Roque
Started all 33 games at point guard, setting the defensive tone with her consistent ball pressure out front.
Averaged 5.8 points, 2.0 rebounds and 2.5 assists in 29.4 minutes.
Ranked 14th in the Horizon League in assist-to-turnover ratio (1.10).
Shot .810 (34-42) from the free throw line to rank third on the team.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/clst/sports/w-baskbl/auto_headshot/2327526.jpeg
Jessica Roque
Played in 32 games with one start, providing team with an offensive spark off the bench.
Averaged 5.2 points and 1.7 rebounds per game.

Grr_tiger
04-07-2009, 07:35 AM

#33 Renee Goldoff

+++++

Yes, she's Fil-Am. You can search for her in Facebook.

patay-butiki
09-09-2009, 05:11 PM
This is practically next week already. Anybody knows the complete philippine women's NT lineup?

by the way, how come the sbp website is not updated? it still has the 2007 men's NT and the 2008 men's U18 NT. and it doesn't have the women's NT lineup.

http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v5/html/images/layout01_01.gif

Malaysia Aims For Top Position In Fiba Asia Championship

By Farhanah Azmi

KUALA LUMPUR, Sept 9 (Bernama) -- The Malaysian women's basketball team, currently playing in Level II at the 23rd International Basketball Federation (Fiba) Asia Women Championship in Chennai, India (Sept 17-24), has targetted to end their campaign in the top two positions.

Under the tournament regulation, the top two from Level II will play-off against the bottom two of Level I, in an attempt to earn promotion for a place in the next edition's Level I.

"We want to finish the competition in the top two positions which will enable us to be promoted back to Level I of the championship. So, the players need to give their best performance, this time around," assistant coach Yoong Sze Yuin told Bernama.

She noted that the Malaysian women's team were relegated to Level II after losing to India in the play-offs at the 22nd edition of the championship in Incheon, South Korea in 2007.

In Chennai, Malaysia are grouped with Kazakhstan, Lebanon, The Philippines, Sri Lanka and Uzbekistan in Level II, while China, Taiwan, India, Japan, South Korea and Thailand are in Level I.

Malaysia are scheduled to take on the Philippines in the opening match on Sept 17.
"It will be a good fight against the Phillipines. We have not played against them since the 2007 Korat Sea Games and we don't know their strength...whether they would field the same squad or a new line up," said Yoong.
She added that the team which comprised seven senior and five junior players were currently beefing up their trainning at the Malaysian Basketball Association Stadium and will be leaving for Chennai on Sept 15.

"These players are currently the best in the country and they have been going through intensive training in preparation for this championship," she added.

Malaysia's best achivement at the Fiba Asia Women Championship was in 2005 when they were promoted to Level I for the first time, after topping Level II Group A and finishing their campaign in eighth position at the 21st Fiba Asia Women Championship held at Qinhuangdao, China.

-- BERNAMA

by the way, we lost to malaysia in the 2007 SEA games, 56-74. :(

c_d
09-09-2009, 05:21 PM
This is practically next week already. Anybody knows the complete philippine women's NT lineup?

Here's a photo of the team posted in Bleachers' Brew (http://bleachersbrew.blogspot.com/2009/08/good-luck-to-them.html). No lineup though.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_BquY6zd9Wxo/So9PBlRld1I/AAAAAAAAIl4/6Df2yWGJ6c8/s400/RP+Womens.JPG

c_d
09-09-2009, 05:50 PM
SBP: Chinese ace to boost RP ladies five (http://sports.inquirer.net/amateur/amateur/view/20090907-223939/SBP:_Chinese_ace_to_boost_RP_ladies_five)
By June Navarro
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 00:01:00 09/07/2009

Filed Under: Basketball

GOING WITH THE INTERNATIONAL TREND of hiring foreign athletes, the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas also wants to recruit a 6-foot-3 Chinese to beef up the womens national team.

SBP executive director Noli Eala said the federation is interested in hiring Zheng Xiaojing, a Fujian native, through naturalization to provide the womens squad a much-needed frontline presence.

Zhengs inclusion will add ceiling to the RP team, which has the 6-1 Cassy Tioseco of Ateneo and 6-2 Amira Issa from Meredith College in the United States as its tallest aces.

According to Internet scouting reports, the 25-year-old Zheng was the top player of the Fujian team, which ranked eighth last year in the Womens Chinese Basketball Association.

Were hoping to get Zheng on board and expedite her naturalization process along with American CJ Giles, said Eala.

Fresh from the NBA training camp, Giles, who played briefly for the Los Angeles Lakers, will arrive today from the US after signing a one-year pact to reinforce the Smart Gilas Pilipinas team in the 2010 Asian Games.

Eala said RP team coach Haydee Ong first saw Zheng in China during one of the training camps for the womens squad in 2004.

The cagebelles are training for the Fiba Asia womens championship set Sept. 17 to 26 in Chennai, India.

The SBP favors the less complicated legislative procedure to secure Filipino citizenship for Zheng and Giles.

Eala said the SBP ruled out the administrative and judiciary procedure because of the 10-year residency requirement.

The womens team won the bronze in the 2007 Southeast Asian Games in Thailand.

patay-butiki
09-09-2009, 06:07 PM
Here's a photo of the team posted in Bleachers' Brew (http://bleachersbrew.blogspot.com/2009/08/good-luck-to-them.html). No lineup though.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_BquY6zd9Wxo/So9PBlRld1I/AAAAAAAAIl4/6Df2yWGJ6c8/s400/RP+Womens.JPG

the tall girl is cassie tioseco. no sign of 6'3" Zheng Xiaojing.

FEIFEI
09-10-2009, 12:56 AM
SBP: Chinese ace to boost RP ladies five

By June Navarro

GOING WITH THE INTERNATIONAL TREND of hiring foreign athletes, the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas also wants to recruit a 6-foot-3 Chinese to beef up the womens national team.

SBP executive director Noli Eala said the federation is interested in hiring Zheng Xiaojing, a Fujian native, through naturalization to provide the womens squad a much-needed frontline presence.

Zhengs inclusion will add ceiling to the RP team, which has the 6-1 Cassy Tioseco of Ateneo and 6-2 Amira Issa from Meredith College in the United States as its tallest aces.

According to Internet scouting reports, the 25-year-old Zheng was the top player of the Fujian team, which ranked eighth last year in the Womens Chinese Basketball Association.

Were hoping to get Zheng on board and expedite her naturalization process along with American CJ Giles, said Eala.

Fresh from the NBA training camp, Giles, who played briefly for the Los Angeles Lakers, will arrive today from the US after signing a one-year pact to reinforce the Smart Gilas Pilipinas team in the 2010 Asian Games.

Eala said RP team coach Haydee Ong first saw Zheng in China during one of the training camps for the womens squad in 2004.

The cagebelles are training for the Fiba Asia womens championship set Sept. 17 to 26 in Chennai, India.

The SBP favors the less complicated legislative procedure to secure Filipino citizenship for Zheng and Giles.

Eala said the SBP ruled out the administrative and judiciary procedure because of the 10-year residency requirement.

FEIFEI
09-10-2009, 03:07 AM
SBP: Chinese ace to boost RP ladies five

By June Navarro

patay-butiki
09-12-2009, 10:17 AM
The Philippine Star

Ong open to try out Fil-Am star
By Joaquin Henson Updated March 15, 2009 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines National womens basketball team coach Haydee Ong said yesterday the door is open for Fil-Am star Jessica de la Cruz of San Joaquin Delta College to try out for the squad now preparing for the SEABA tournament in Thailand on June 1-5 and the FIBA-Asia Championships in Taipei on June 21-28.

De la Cruz, a 5-7 shooting guard, is averaging 13.1 points in 30 games, including 28 starts, for the Lady Mustangs as a sophomore this season. She is shooting .427 from the field, .419 from three-point distance and .750 from the line. The 19-year-old Big 8 Conference MVP was born in Sacramento and her father Jeff is Filipino. Last Monday, de la Cruz hit 21 points, including 7-of-8 from the field and 4-of-4 free throws, to lead Delta to an 88-60 win over Ohlone College in Stockton, California.

The victory raised the varsitys record to 29-6 and brought the Lady Mustangs to the state finals against Antelope Valley College.

Ong, however, said she has no way to contact de la Cruz whose biofile was furnished The STAR by blogger Ferdie Alayon, a Filipino accountant based in Sacramento. Alayon, who writes as VicOngasis and heads a worldwide network of STAR bloggers known as Wanbol Uni, said he will try to track down de la Cruz and check on her availability for the national team.

In her varsity profile, de la Cruz said the one place she prefers to spend her vacation is the Philippines to keep in touch with my roots.

Ong, 39, said the national squad will play a series of tune-up games in Shanghai on March 26-April 5. A budget of P1.3 million was raised for the trip mainly by team manager Cynthia Tiu of Discovery Suites. Tius nephew Chris plays for the Philippine developmental team. Another patron Jimmy Tan has arranged for Ongs squad to live in townhomes in Shanghai during the training tour for free.

Ong said the cagebelles will play teams from Shanghai University and the Shanghai military, among others.

Two years ago, the Philippine team swept its elimination games but lost to Thailand in the finals of the SEABA Championships in Phuket. The squad went on to bag the bronze at the Southeast Asian (SEA) Games with coach Fritz Gaston and Ong as assistant.

Six players from the SEA Games roster are back - two-time UAAP MVP Cassie Tioseco, PBA cager Kiko Adrianos sister Aurora, Diane Rose Jose, Fatima Tolentino, Sylvia Marie Valencia and Joan Grajales. Added to the 16-strong lineup were Trina Limjengco, Bernadette Mercado, Chovy Borja, Ewan Arayi, Maritess Gabian, Karen Lomogda, Marichu Bacarro, Len Buenacosa, Flor Mata and Jesamine de los Reyes.
Missing are the three Fil-Ams who played in the SEA Games - Vicki Brick, Melissa Jacob and Amira Issa.

Im in contact with Vicki and Melissa, said Ong who coaches Ateneo and played on four UST championship teams in the UAAP from 1987 to 1991. Unfortunately, theyre not able to commit to three months training because of work. Theyre willing and excited to play for the national team again but they just cant take a long leave from work. When they played in the SEA Games, they trained less than a month and it wasnt enough. Well welcome them to join if they could only stay for at least three months.

Valencia, 29, is the oldest in the team and the 6-1 Mata, 21, is the youngest and tallest. Mercado, Borja, Adriano and Jose play for UAAP champion FEU.

Ongs staff is made up of assistant Ron Camara and strength and conditioning coach Pat Esmundo. She joined the national team as Bai Cristobals assistant for the 1998 Asian Games in Bangkok and stayed with the staff until 2004. She succeeded Gaston as head coach last year.

The Philippines hasnt played in the FIBA-Asia Womens Championships since 2004 when the team finished third in Level 2 or ninth overall.

Ong said Fil-Am twins Angel and Jessica Roque, who play for Cleveland State in Division I, were in Manila on vacation last October and attended three practices but couldnt commit to the national team until they graduate because of NCAA restrictions.

The Roques, 20, are juniors. Angel, 5-5, is averaging 6.9 points and Jessica, 5-7, 10.6 this season. They were born three hours apart in Ontario. Their father Ric is Filipino.

SBP executive director Noli Eala said if de la Cruz is interested to play for the country, she should express her intent now so a tryout could be scheduled.

I dont know her but if shes interested, we can try her out, said Eala. The team is leaving for Shanghai to train so I suggest she should already work out with the team.

Delta s season is about to end and de la Cruz should be free in a few weeks. Ong said there is still no confirmation if the SEABA tournament will be held although it has been calendared. If the SEABA joust is cancelled, there will be a lead time of about three months from now to train for the FIBA-Asia Championships starting June 21.

so is this the same line-up for Level II at the 23rd International Basketball Federation (Fiba) Asia Women Championship in Chennai, India (Sept 17-24)?

2007 sea games veterans (bronze medal):

Cassie Tioseco, two-time UAAP MVP
Aurora Adriano, sister of Kiko
Diane Rose Jose, daughter of Bobby
Fatima Tolentino
Sylvia Marie Valencia
Joan Grajales.

new recruits:

Trina Limjengco
Bernadette Mercado
Chovy Borja
Ewan Arayi
Maritess Gabian
Karen Lomogda
Marichu Bacarro
Len Buenacosa
Flor Mata
Jesamine de los Reyes

maybe sbp should reconsider accomodating fil-ams like vicki brick and melissa jacob. i think their talent alone should more than compensate for the 3-month training coach heidi ong requires. hmmm.... given the recent histoty of the philippine women's NT, i think the 3-month training requirement could have been designed precisely to exclude the fil-ams.

patay-butiki
09-12-2009, 10:34 AM
anybody here knows our line-up for the following tournaments???

26 - 30 Sep 1st SEABA U-16 Championship For Junior Women

21-29 Oct 1st FIBA Asia U-16 Championship For Junior Women

nardy
09-12-2009, 01:15 PM
so is this the same line-up for Level II at the 23rd International Basketball Federation (Fiba) Asia Women Championship in Chennai, India (Sept 17-24)?

2007 sea games veterans (bronze medal):

Cassie Tioseco, two-time UAAP MVP
Aurora Adriano, sister of Kiko
Diane Rose Jose, daughter of Bobby
Fatima Tolentino
Sylvia Marie Valencia
Joan Grajales.

new recruits:

Trina Limjengco
Bernadette Mercado
Chovy Borja
Ewan Arayi
Maritess Gabian
Karen Lomogda
Marichu Bacarro
Len Buenacosa
Flor Mata
Jesamine de los Reyes

maybe sbp should reconsider accomodating fil-ams like vicki brick and melissa jacob. i think their talent alone should more than compensate for the 3-month training coach heidi ong requires. hmmm.... given the recent histoty of the philippine women's NT, i think the 3-month training requirement could have been designed precisely to exclude the fil-ams.

they cannot accomodate the any player who cannot commit to said training period as they previously did that in the last SEA Games to accomodate 2 out of the 3 Fil-Ams but it created resentment among the homegrown players that resulted into a Team mutiny vs then Head Coach Fritz Gaston. That team had a lot of promise going into that tournament but the last minute insertion disrupted the team chemistry that was already in place as Fil-ams got a lot of minutes even though they were creating misplays due to their unfamiliarity with the system and their team mates. Coach Haydee then an assistant coach understood the homegrown players sentiments thus she implemented said minimum training period requirement.

But please note the resentment was not actually versus the presence of the Fil-ams but on the situation it created which there is a cloud of favoritism and unfairness as the homegrown players were required to train for almost the whole year and some were forced to drop or take a leave of absence from school.

patay-butiki
09-13-2009, 12:53 AM
^^^

i see. well, atleast accomodate vicki bricks. i think she didn't cause any problems, unlike melissa jacobs and amira issa. and she has professed interest and willingness to don the national colors again. sayang talaga.

but i guess it's too late now. barely a week before fiba asia. anyways, goodluck to our women's NT! :)

patay-butiki
09-13-2009, 03:46 AM
2009 philippine senior women's NT....

http://www.asia-basket.com/Philippines/basketball.asp?NewsID=170493&Women=1

http://www.eurobasket.com/photos/Adriano_Aurora.jpgadrianohttp://www.eurobasket.com/photos/Bacaro_Marichu.jpgbacarohttp://www.eurobasket.com/photos/Limgenco_Treena.jpglimgenco

http://www.goateneo.com/main/images/stories/basketball/womens/D-Tiu.jpgtiu http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/v222/160/38/n1600569231_4995.jpgbuenacosa
http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/profile6/1242/41/n1511604340_1132.jpgarayi http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/v230/1920/36/n636365349_3319.jpgtolentino

Filipino - Women Basketball
Philippines National Team 2009 - Aug 27, 2009 (by Richard )

Aurora Adriano (173-F-85) of Discovery Suites - RP Team (5'7", FEU)
Merenciana Arayi (85) of Discovery Suites - RP Team (2004 UAAP MVP, AdU)
Marichu Bacaro (G-85) of Ever Bilena (2009 WPBL MVP, 2008 UAAP MVP, UST)
Maria Bambico (79) - (FEU)
Chovi Borja (F-85) of Oracle - (5'7", FEU)
Remia Buenacosa (F-85) of Ever Bilena (UST)
Jessamine De los Reyes (87) of Nutri-C - ADMU (USC)
Marites Gadian (F-82) of Nutri-C - (5'7", AdU)
Joan Grajales (162-G-79) of Discovery Suites - RP Team (5'4", Lyceum, University of Iloilo?)
Treena Limgenco (85) of Nutri-C - ADMU (5'2" - ADMU)
Karen Lomogda (F-84) of Discovery Suites - RP Team (AdU)
Cherrylyn Lubiano (77) - (UP)
Bernadette Mercado (G-86) of Discovery Suites - RP Team (5'3", FEU)
Denise Tiu (90) - (5'7" - ADMU)
Ma Ana Fatima Tolentino (C-87) - (5'9", UP)
Sylvia Valencia (79) of Discovery Suites - RP Team (5'5", Lyceum)

no cassie tioseco? hmm....

and no flor mata? two 6-1 players gone??? :confused:

diane jose also gone?

i don't claim to know much about philippine women's basketball, but this team seems to definitely lack ceiling. i don't think this line-up is better than the 2007 SEA games bronze medalists. i just hope coach heidi ong proves me wrong. :(

note: maria susan bambico and cherrylyn lubiano are the veterans said to have been eased out by fil-ams mellisa jacobs and amira issa in the 2007 sea games.

patay-butiki
09-13-2009, 04:09 AM
some members of the ill-fated 2007 sea games team...

http://businessmirror.com.ph/10252007/images/sports-pic02.jpg

the caption is misleading. so, i will try to identify them clockwise from fritz:

1. machico (or machiko?) matsuno, now in japan
2. ???
3. merenciana "ewon" arayi (i think she has middle eastern blood)
4. aurora adriano (kiko's sister)
5. cassy (or cassie) tioseco - why is she not in the current lineup?
6. stephanie "pipay" villanueva - now working as a computer analyst in the u.s.
7. diane jose (bobby's daughter)

if asiabasket is to be believed, the only hold-overs are arayi and adriano.

nardy
09-14-2009, 08:42 PM
^^^

i see. well, atleast accomodate vicki bricks. i think she didn't cause any problems, unlike melissa jacobs and amira issa. and she has professed interest and willingness to don the national colors again. sayang talaga.

but i guess it's too late now. barely a week before fiba asia. anyways, goodluck to our women's NT! :)

It depends on the SBP and Coach Haydee Ong, Vicki is enplaning to Manila on Oct 5 to acompany his brother Jon who is looking to find a team.

Please also note Amira Issa has been in town since late last month and has been training with the National Team.

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs218.snc1/8531_528642349804_47300334_31679320_4411733_n.jpg

that's why I am confused why Cassie is not in the Asia-Basket.com list, it seems that list are without the team's Centers and Power Forwards.

Andrew81
09-15-2009, 05:38 AM
If this is the new line up for RP Women senior national team with out those 3 fil ams,im sorry but this team cannot win even againts malaysia.:(

2007 team is better than this 2009 team.I hope we can still change our line up.Even our naturalized chinese player is not enaf to atleast improve us up to Fiba's Div. I.:(

with out our good fil am players,i think they will hav a hard time winning in Div II.I hup im wrong..;)

Baller Jobe
09-15-2009, 05:45 AM
If this is the new line up for RP Women senior national team with out those 3 fil ams,im sorry but this team cannot win even againts malaysia.:(

2007 team is better than this 2009 team.I hope we can still change our line up.Even our naturalized chinese player is not enaf to atleast improve us up to Fiba's Div. I.:(

with out our good fil am players,i think they will hav a hard time winning in Div II.I hup im wrong..;)

I believe Amir Issa is in the line-up as shown by the pics of Nardy. It will still be an uphill climb since the team did not have international exposures as well as their lack of ceiling. In the 2007 SEA games, the RP team had international exposures and still no luck come SEA Games.

But I believe the team is more cohesive now. Let's just hope RP gets promoted to Division I pero suntok sa buwan ata.

nardy
09-15-2009, 05:51 AM
I do not know if you guys were able to read my post on another thread but the Level II competition at FIBA-Asia has become much more harder as Lebanon just naturalized a legitimate WNBA Star.

it's official 6'6 WNBA Star Chantelle Denise Anderson is now a Naturalized Lebanese and would play for the National Team of Lebanon in the coming FIBA-Asia Championship for Women at India. Lebanon would be playing at Level II and would be one of the teams that the Philippine Team would be facing.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5185668278&ref=share

-Chantelle Anderson (199-F/C-81),the new naturalized player for the Lebanese Women NT!
Chantelle Anderson
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Chantelle Denise Anderson (born January 22, 1981 in Loma Linda, California) is a professional basketball player who has played in the Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA) and overseas.
Contents
[hide]

* 1 Personal
* 2 High School years
* 3 College years
* 4 WNBA career
* 5 International career
* 6 Quotes
* 7 Vital statistics
* 8 References
* 9 External links

[edit] Personal

Chantelle's name is pronounced "shawn-tell". Her nickname is "Chan".

[edit] High School years

Anderson attended high school at Hudson's Bay High School in Vancouver, Washington. She was selected as USA Todays 1999 Player of the Year in Washington. She was also the Washington and West Coast Gatorade Player of the Year.

[edit] College years

Anderson graduated from Vanderbilt University in 2003. She was Vanderbilts all-time leading scorer with 2,604 points as well as setting the Vanderbilt's Career Field Goal Percentage mark of 65.1%. She was named to the All-American. team in 2001.

Anderson was a member of the Gold Medal-winning USA Basketball Jones Cup Team in 2000[1] as well as being on the Gold Medal-winning U.S. team at the World University Games in 2001.

* Vanderbilt's 2001 Female Athlete of the Year.
* Named as her team's 2001 co-MVP, along with Trials participant Ashley McElhiney.
* Earned 2001 NCAA Midwest Regional All-Tournament team honors after averaging 24.0 plays per game.
* Named 2001 All-Southeastern Conference (SEC) first team and 2000 All-SEC second team.
* Earned her SEC Tournament MVP honors in 2001.

Anderson was also named to the Vanderbilt Athletics Hall of Fame as part of its inaugural class.[2]

[edit] WNBA career

Anderson was selected 2nd overall by the Sacramento Monarchs in the 2003 WNBA draft. She spent the 2003 and 2004 seasons with the Monarchs as a utility player.

On May 18, 2005, the Monarchs traded Anderson to the San Antonio Silver Stars.

On February 6, 2008 Anderson was selected by the Atlanta Dream in the expansion draft.

On May 28, 2008 Chantelle Anderson was waived by the Atlanta Dream. Anderson was recovering from injury at the time. However, Anderson was resigned by the Dream on February 12, 2009.

[edit] International career

2003-04: she played for MiZo-Pcsi VSK. She had fabulous statistics but she had injured at the half of the season. During the 2004-05 WNBA offseason, Anderson played for USVO in Valenciennes, France and averaged 9.7 points and 5.4 rebounds per game.

[edit] Quotes

"She makes it look easy inside (the court), and not just because she's six foot six." - Mechelle Voepel

[edit] Vital statistics

* Position: Center
* Height: 6 ft. 6 in. / 1.98 m
* College: Vanderbilt University
* Team: Atlanta Dream

[edit] References

1. ^ "2000 WOMEN'S R. WILLIAM JONES CUP (http://www.usabasketball.com/news.php?news_page=wjcup_2000)". . Retrieved 2009-07-01.
2. ^ "Vanderbilt Athletics Announces Inaugural Hall of Fame Class (http://vucommodores.cstv.com/ot/2008-hof.html)". Vanderbilt University. 2008-06-26. . Retrieved 2008-06-26.

[edit] External links

* WNBA player profile (http://www.wnba.com/playerfile/chantelle_anderson/index.html?nav=page)
* 2003 WNBA Draft prospect profile (http://www.wnba.com/draft2003/prospect_chantelle_anderson.html)

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/3800/actchantelleanderson.jpg

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/3969/andersonlsu.jpg

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/8308/chantelleanderson2qd2ge4.jpg

Quote:
Hey everyone! So guess where I am(Twitter followers already know)..Give up?....Im in Lebanon! Beirut to be exact. Ya, crazy random I know (didnt exactly see myself living in the Middle East any time soonor ever).
But Im here playing basketball for the Lebanese National Team for the next three months. No, Im not Lebanese by birth but somehow its legal so Ima go with it, haha. Its nice to be back on the court and although its not at WNBA level, its a good place to get my rhythm back and get some game film to play in Europe afterwards. Ive been here almost a week and I love it so far. So I figured Id write and give yall some initial thoughts and insight into my life over here.

My first reaction when walking out of the airport: OMG yall have palm trees here! Yay! Second reaction: What?! Yall got Krispy Kreme?! (upon seeing a billboard for my fav donut place). Yep, they sure do. In fact, its so Americanized here I didnt even have to exchange money. I can pay with dollars anywhere I go. Too cool. In addition to Krispy Kreme, Ive also seen Ace Hardware, Osh Kosh Bgosh, Shell gas stations (theyre called
Coral hereget it? Coral, Shell, haha), Crocs, GNC, GoodYear, Dunkin Donuts, and Radio Shack. And of course McDonalds, Burger King, and KFC are givens.

The city is absolutely beautiful. Sunny, modern, and right on the water (I can look out my window and see the Mediterranean Sea). And the food here is delicious. Usually when players go overseas they end up losing lots of weight because of the lack of acceptable food options; but I dont see that being a problem here. We also only have one practice a day so I better not eat too much because I will be spending lots of time in a bikini. Might even post some pics from our team outing to the beach next week ;-)

My teammates are very nice and all speak English. Actually, lots of people here speak English, but French is the most prevalent language, other than Arabic of course. Many people speak all three and its not uncommon to hear words from each in the same sentence. I have two tattoos in Arabic and Ive gotten lots of questions about them. Thankfully they say what I meant them to say because Im in a place where people can actually read them. The only thing I've found so far that sucks: everyone smokes everywhere. I DETEST cigarettes. If I'm around them too often I get sick, so I have to be extra careful.

To continue reading check this website:

http://chantellesays.yardbarker.com/blog/chantellesays/Thoughts_from_the_Middle_East/984741#comment_controls_984741

TrueBluePinoy
09-15-2009, 06:06 AM
So the Rumble of the Roses starts Thursday. Can't wait.:)

Andrew81
09-15-2009, 06:06 AM
I do not know if you guys were able to read my post on another thread but the Level II competition at FIBA-Asia has become much more harder as Lebanon just naturalized a legitimate WNBA Star.

Thats why we need those fil ams.the twins, dela cruz etc.

Our team is still better than the Lebanese team they just have that Good naturalized payer but our bench are dfntly better.

now its going to be Kazakhstan,malaysia,phils and now Lebanon for the div I.:D

Baller Jobe
09-15-2009, 06:23 AM
Is Kat Sandel already in the senior's team?

daniab
09-15-2009, 07:16 AM
Hey guys,our Women NT is back to competition after 8 years absence,we are the Arab champions and our federation set a plan to return to Zone A in Asia since months and the naturalization of Chantelle came in this sequence!
So good luck for the Rp team also,hope both together will reach the level 1.

alien space bats
09-15-2009, 07:46 AM
Hey guys,our Women NT is back to competition after 8 years absence,we are the Arab champions and our federation set a plan to return to Zone A in Asia since months and the naturalization of Chantelle came in this sequence!
So good luck for the Rp team also,hope both together will reach the level 1.

o Daniab? i thought you will never appear in interbasket again after that incident with the chinese fans?
anyway, welcome back. your farewell is classic though. it'll never be forgotten here in interbasket.

cirtrislop
09-15-2009, 08:00 AM
Nice work--thank you for sharing-
Thanks so much for this. I appreciate the effort. It really helps a lot.
Glad to hear you're using this: I plan to keep it much more aggressively up-to-date than has been the case in the past, but don't hesitate to let me know if you find errors or need clarifications.

TrueBluePinoy
09-15-2009, 08:30 AM
hope rnhalawi or punchsports would record the RP womens games.

phevergy
09-15-2009, 03:06 PM
guys,do you have game schedules?:D

patay-butiki
09-16-2009, 02:56 PM
^^^^

BUKAS NA 'TO!!! :D

17 SEPT Philippines Malaysia 09h00 Chennai (11:30 a.m. Manila)

18 SEPT Kazakhstan Philippines 11h00 Chennai (1:30 p.m. Manila)

19 SEPT Philippines Uzbekistan 13h00 Chennai (5:30 p.m. Manila)

21 SEPT Lebanon Philippines 13h00 Chennai (5:30 p.m. Manila)

22 SEPT Philippines Sri Lanka 11h00 Chennai (1:30 p.m. Manila)

check out this website:

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/pages/eng/fe/09/fascw/p/index.html

patay-butiki
09-16-2009, 03:10 PM
philippine players according to chennai games website...

ADRIANO, Aurora (PHI)
ARAYI, Merenciana Ewonritseorlagha (PHI)
BACARO, Marichu (PHI)
BAMBICO, Maria Susan (PHI)
BUENACOSA, Remia (PHI)
DE LOS REYES, Jessamine (PHI)
GADIAN, Marites (PHI)
GRAJALES, Joan (PHI)
JOSE, Diana Rose (PHI)
LIMGENCO, Treena Anne Therese (PHI)
LOMOGDA, Karen (PHI)
LUBIANO, Cherrylyn (PHI)
MERCADO, Bernadette (PHI)
TIU, Denise Patricia (PHI)
TOLENTITO, Ma Ana Fatima (PHI)
VALENCIA, Sylvia Marie (PHI)

so no amir issa. no cassie tioseco (maybe she got affected by the death of alexis???) no vicki brick.

di bale. go pilipinas pa rin! :D:D:D

nardy
09-16-2009, 03:22 PM
Thats why we need those fil ams.the twins, dela cruz etc.

Our team is still better than the Lebanese team they just have that Good naturalized payer but our bench are dfntly better.

now its going to be Kazakhstan,malaysia,phils and now Lebanon for the div I.:D

am sorry the SBP does not do quickfixes or patchwork. They had set programs, if the player could not commit, the SBP would not force the issue. Playing for the National Team needs dedicated players, they invited the Fil-foreigners and explained the program but said players could not commit as they have other priorities. As I posted earlier, a National Team is not in the business of begging, so whatever we have we'll live or die with them. Another thing submission of 12 player Final line-ups had already prescribed and actually the FIBA-Asia tournament is about to startg

Baller Jobe
09-17-2009, 03:56 AM
Noli Eala's tweet:

Im leaving for Chennai, India today to support our Womens natl Team. The ladies are pretty good. Have a feeling we'll finally get a break.

Just hoping for the best. Good Luck to our cagebelles.

bolabasket
09-17-2009, 04:04 AM
is Dennis Tiu related to Chris Tiu?

RNHalawi
09-17-2009, 05:02 AM
Philippines vs. Malaysia (LIVE NOW!)

25-21 RP

RNHalawi
09-17-2009, 05:08 AM
RP- 25
Malaysia - 27

4:17, 2Q

RNHalawi
09-17-2009, 05:12 AM
Valencia - 6pts
Arayi - 5pts
Mercado - 5pts

Live play by play:
http://www.RNHalawi.com/2009/09/fiba-asia-womens-tournament-2009.html

:)

RNHalawi
09-17-2009, 05:18 AM
33-30 RP (Halftime)

top scorer for RP:
Valencia - 8pts

nardy
09-17-2009, 05:36 AM
http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/team_photo/_original/phi_small.jpg

RNHalawi
09-17-2009, 05:43 AM
48-47 RP

end of 3Q

Valencia - 13pts
Arayi - 7pts

5/8 (63%) - 3pts
5/10 (50%) - FT
19/38 (50%) - Total FG

nardy
09-17-2009, 05:49 AM
philippine players according to chennai games website...

ADRIANO, Aurora (PHI)
ARAYI, Merenciana Ewonritseorlagha (PHI)
BACARO, Marichu (PHI)
BAMBICO, Maria Susan (PHI)
BUENACOSA, Remia (PHI)
DE LOS REYES, Jessamine (PHI)
GADIAN, Marites (PHI)
GRAJALES, Joan (PHI)
JOSE, Diana Rose (PHI)
LIMGENCO, Treena Anne Therese (PHI)
LOMOGDA, Karen (PHI)
LUBIANO, Cherrylyn (PHI)
MERCADO, Bernadette (PHI)
TIU, Denise Patricia (PHI)
TOLENTITO, Ma Ana Fatima (PHI)
VALENCIA, Sylvia Marie (PHI)

so no amir issa. no cassie tioseco (maybe she got affected by the death of alexis???) no vicki brick.

di bale. go pilipinas pa rin! :D:D:D

I wonder what happened as it seems we gone to a small line-up.

kaiziken_pinas
09-17-2009, 06:29 AM
our girls won.... hahaha

phevergy
09-17-2009, 06:32 AM
our girls won.... hahaha

great! where did you watch?:D

kaiziken_pinas
09-17-2009, 06:34 AM
great! where did you watch?:D

play by play @ rnhalawi.com

final score is 61-55

daniab
09-17-2009, 06:38 AM
48-47 RP

end of 3Q

Valencia - 13pts
Arayi - 7pts

5/8 (63%) - 3pts
5/10 (50%) - FT
19/38 (50%) - Total FG

Hey RNHalawi,is there any way to follow Lebanon's game right now?
Thanks in advance!

nardy
09-17-2009, 06:52 AM
Philippines
No. Player Pos Min FG 3 Points Free Throws Rebounds AS TO STL Blocks Fouls Pts
M/A % M/A % M/A % OR DR Tot BL BI PFS FO
4 Sylvia Marie Valencia 25:15 6/9 67 2/3 67 1/2 50 2 0 2 1 6 1 0 0 2 2 15
5 Joan Grajales 27:18 2/3 67 1/2 50 2/4 50 0 3 3 5 4 4 0 0 4 2 7
6 Chovi Borja 19:21 1/4 25 0/1 0 0/0 0 0 1 1 1 2 0 0 0 0 0 2
7 Merenciana Arayi 22:06 3/10 30 1/2 50 0/1 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 1 1 7
8 Cherrylyn Lubiano 16:07 2/5 40 0/0 0 3/5 60 3 2 5 0 0 0 0 0 0 5 7
9 Ma Ana Fatima Tolentito 14:51 1/1 100 0/0 0 1/2 50 0 1 1 0 2 0 0 0 1 0 3
10 Bernadette Mercado 13:10 2/3 67 1/2 50 0/0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 5
11 Karen Lomogda 00:00 0/0 0 0/0 0 0/0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
12 Diana Rose Jose 31:46 2/6 33 0/1 0 1/2 50 1 5 6 2 2 0 2 0 1 2 5
13 Cassandra Tioseco 16:35 3/3 100 0/0 0 0/0 0 0 3 3 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 6
14 Maria Susan Bambico 00:00 0/0 0 0/0 0 0/0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
15 Jessamine De Los Reyes 13:31 2/5 40 0/0 0 0/0 0 0 2 2 0 0 1 0 0 2 0 4

Malaysia
4 Beng Fong Goh 21:39 3/8 38 2/4 50 3/4 75 0 1 1 3 2 0 0 0 5 3 11
5 Nur Izzati Yaakob 20:16 2/4 50 0/1 0 0/1 0 2 3 5 2 2 0 0 0 3 4 4
6 Shin Min Yong 36:39 1/5 20 0/1 0 0/0 0 1 5 6 3 2 1 0 1 2 0 2
7 Siew Teng Ang 29:44 4/16 25 2/13 15 0/0 0 1 1 2 0 1 0 0 1 3 0 10
8 Chai Ling Thoh 19:42 2/7 29 0/0 0 0/0 0 4 1 5 0 2 0 0 0 2 0 4
9 Hui Pin Pang 07:38 0/2 0 0/1 0 0/0 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0
10 Yann Yann Pee 31:23 3/9 33 2/4 50 2/2 100 1 3 4 2 3 0 0 0 3 1 10
11 Suik May Kew 28:17 5/7 71 3/4 75 1/2 50 2 0 2 1 3 1 0 0 1 1 14
12 Siew Lian Beh 02:30 0/1 0 0/0 0 0/0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 3 0 0
13 Hui Jing Chen 00:00 0/0 0 0/0 0 0/0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
14 Shook Ying Hee 01:06 0/0 0 0/0 0 0/0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0
15 Kalaimathi Rajintiran 00:48 0/0 0 0/0 0 0/0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

nardy
09-17-2009, 06:54 AM
http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/img/fe/09/fascw/event_logo.selected.jpg

PHI / MAS Gritty Filipinos ward off Malaysia
17/09/2009

CHENNAI (23rd FIBA Asia Women Championship) - Malaysia stuttered at the start of their claim to regain a place in Level I, going down 55-61 to a gritty Filipino outfit in a level II game also the opening game of the Championship on Thursday.

Malaysia coach Tan See Wah, however was satisfied with the way his girls played.

We (the Malaysian National team) has been struggling for the last couple of years and we are in a transition period. In that sense, I think we played rather well, the veteran coach said.

They caught us surprise. Of course they gave us a scare, Tan See Wahs Filipino counterpart Haydee Ong said.

Pithy point guard Sylvia Valencia used all her experience to good stead for the Philippines and top scored the game with 15 points, in an otherwise all-round scoring pattern,

There are not many problems as far acclimatization is concerned. The weather is the same as back home in Manila and the conditions are pretty good. The only point is we hope can keep the intensity and move ahead, Ong said.

Philippines have a game against the much taller Kazakhstan on the morrow, while Malaysia take on Lebanon.

Kew Suik Mays 14 points was the highest for Malaysia.

FIBA Asia

RNHalawi
09-17-2009, 07:29 AM
Hey RNHalawi,is there any way to follow Lebanon's game right now?
Thanks in advance!

47-40 Leb. 3Q ongoing

nardy
09-17-2009, 07:36 AM
47-40 Leb. 3Q ongoing

Hey Dani you can get live stats from this site:

http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/5075/01/02/11/74UPG7awzm342/

nardy
09-17-2009, 07:41 AM
Hey Dani you can get live stats from this site:

http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/5075/01/02/11/74UPG7awzm342/

for Lebanon it is becoming a Chada Nasr show with Chantelle Anderson, Nisrin Dandan and Nayla Alameddine pitching-in.

Chirine El Charif is doing her part in rebounding.

daniab
09-17-2009, 07:48 AM
Thanks Nardy.
Go Lebanon! ;)

Baller Jobe
09-17-2009, 08:38 AM
How come Issa is not in the RP lineup? At least we beat the reigning SEA games champion Malaysia. Except for the 2007 SEABA, we have not beaten Malaysia in the distaff side. Even our youth team fell to the Malaysians last year.

nardy
09-17-2009, 09:39 AM
How come Issa is not in the RP lineup? At least we beat the reigning SEA games champion Malaysia. Except for the 2007 SEABA, we have not beaten Malaysia in the distaff side. Even our youth team fell to the Malaysians last year.

maybe it's due to the 3-month rule of Coach Haydee.

reamily
09-17-2009, 12:12 PM
Manning accident from uzbekistan it will be a triple threat for the 2 slots for the chance to be group 1 between Lebanon , Philippines and Kazakhstan as even phils did not show its full cards:D:D

patay-butiki
09-17-2009, 01:20 PM
Philippines
4 Sylvia Marie Valencia 25:15 6/9 67 2/3 67 1/2 50 2 0 2 1 6 1 0 0 2 2 15
5 Joan Grajales 27:18 2/3 67 1/2 50 2/4 50 0 3 3 5 4 4 0 0 4 2 7
6 Chovi Borja 19:21 1/4 25 0/1 0 0/0 0 0 1 1 1 2 0 0 0 0 0 2
7 Merenciana Arayi 22:06 3/10 30 1/2 50 0/1 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 1 1 7
8 Cherrylyn Lubiano 16:07 2/5 40 0/0 0 3/5 60 3 2 5 0 0 0 0 0 0 5 7
9 Ma Ana Fatima Tolentito 14:51 1/1 100 0/0 0 1/2 50 0 1 1 0 2 0 0 0 1 0 3
10 Bernadette Mercado 13:10 2/3 67 1/2 50 0/0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 5
11 Karen Lomogda 00:00 0/0 0 0/0 0 0/0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
12 Diana Rose Jose 31:46 2/6 33 0/1 0 1/2 50 1 5 6 2 2 0 2 0 1 2 5
13 Cassandra Tioseco 16:35 3/3 100 0/0 0 0/0 0 0 3 3 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 6
14 Maria Susan Bambico 00:00 0/0 0 0/0 0 0/0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
15 Jessamine De Los Reyes 13:31 2/5 40 0/0 0 0/0 0 0 2 2 0 0 1 0 0 2 0 4

so this is the final line-up. veteran backcourt of valencia and grajales (both 30 years old) got heavy mins. forwards jose (31 mins), arayi and borja are all about 24 years old. lubiano is the oldest at 32.

it's a good thing cassie tioseco is also in.

missing are adriano (feu), bacaro and buenacosa (ust), and limgenco and tiu (admu).

we actually won! wow! and i thought our team is not exactly the strongest we've assembled the past couple of years. kudos to the girls and the coaching staff. :)

patay-butiki
09-17-2009, 02:38 PM
joan grajales in action.... :D:D:D

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/091709/phi-mas/_original/phi_mas_11.jpg

Baller Jobe
09-18-2009, 01:05 AM
maybe it's due to the 3-month rule of Coach Haydee.

Looking at the line-up, most if not all are out of school already so how come there were no international exposures? I do recall someone replying that the reason being was that most are still in school so they just trained locally. But perhaps it's just financial reasons.

TrueBluePinoy
09-18-2009, 03:08 AM
What happened to the planned naturalization of our chinese center?

Baller Jobe
09-18-2009, 05:04 AM
Live Malaysia and Lebanon now.

Malaysia is keeping it close but Lebanon still leading 38-32

Baller Jobe
09-18-2009, 05:09 AM
Lebanon 44-38 Malaysia

D_I_A
09-18-2009, 05:12 AM
we have grandmas in the team yet we still won. good heavens.

congrats to our rp womens team

Baller Jobe
09-18-2009, 05:13 AM
Lebanon 45-41 Malaysia with less than a minute to go in the second quarter

Halftime score 47-41 in favor of Lebanon.

nardy
09-18-2009, 05:56 AM
Looking at the line-up, most if not all are out of school already so how come there were no international exposures? I do recall someone replying that the reason being was that most are still in school so they just trained locally. But perhaps it's just financial reasons.

and hehehe Coach Haydee coaches the Ateneo Lady Eagles. ;)

Seriously, those who are already graduates has day jobs and could not be away from their jobs for a long time. Unlike the Men's team which you can already technically call a "Professional" team, the women's team only receive meager allowances to cover food and transpo.

TrueBluePinoy
09-18-2009, 06:08 AM
Final:

MAS 84 - 69 LIB

nardy
09-18-2009, 06:22 AM

LIB I want to be someone who my teammates can count on: Anderson
17/09/2009

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/091709/lib-uzb/_483x332/lib_uzb_0.jpg

CHENNAI (23rd FIBA Asia Women Championship) - Naturalization of women players in Asia is not common.

American Chantelle Anderson naturalized by Lebanon a couple of weeks ago belongs to that rare group.

The 28-year-old justified her induction in style, using her 199-cm presence to leave a tall literally impression on Lebanons opening game Level II win against Uzbekistan in offense (19 points) as well as in defense (six defensive rebounds in a total of eight for the game).

The former WNBA player spoke exclusively to chennai2009.fibaasia.net after the game.

FIBA Asia: What is the main reason for you choosing to play for Lebanon?

Anderson: This was just a great opportunity to play for an up and coming country in basketball.

And the Lebanese basketball community is very active, passionate and intense.

I really like how motivated they are to up their level of Lebanese womens basketball. Its a great thing to be a part of.

This is a great team, great girls. Very fun. I am just having a good time.

FIBA Asia: The Lebanese mens team has had great results in the last couple of years

Anderson: I know the Lebanese mens team is getting better. We would like to further the Lebanese womens team to emulate them.

We would like the womens team to continue to grow as a team, as an organization, as a program and as a country.

FIBA Asia: Given the vastly experienced background that you have, what is the singularly impressive aspect that you would point out in this team?

Anderson: They have great heart. They fight till the end. They never give up.

You know, we have a relatively smaller team height wise. But this team never gives up and keeps fighting.

They just love each other on the court and play for each other. And thats fun to be a part of.

FIBA Asia: What is that one singular thing where you would like them to improve?

Anderson: Well. This is actually not about the team, but something which is not necessarily in their control.

Any program starting out will go through some growing pangs.

Its basically that these girls need to continue to play at a higher level more often.

Theres nothing they can do right now. Its just a matter of time and continuing to play at this level.

Playing this FIBA Asia (Women) Championship is an awesome move in that direction.

FIBA Asia: Personally, what are you looking for personally?

Anderson: My basketball career has been through a lot of ups and downs.

And I just want it to be on a high-note right now.

Im having a great time with this team, this organization and this country.

My personal goal here is to play at as high as a level as I can and be a good example.

I want to be someone who my teammates can count on when push comes to shove. Thats the most important thing for me to be somebody my teammates like playing with.

S Mageshwaran
FIBA Asia

Lebanon has a FIBA Ranking of 66.

in the won Game vs Uzbekistan:

Chantelle Anderson
Minutes Played: 24:00
Rebounds: 8
Assists: 0
Steals: 0
Block Shots: 1
Personal Fouls: 5 (fouled out)
Turnovers: 5

in the lost Game vs Malaysia:

Chantelle Anderson
Minutes Played: 29:56
Rebounds: 6
Assists: 1
Steals: 0
Block Shots: 2
Personal Fouls: 3
Turnovers: 3

TrueBluePinoy
09-18-2009, 06:23 AM
RP vs KAZ is about to start.

nardy
09-18-2009, 06:24 AM
Final:

MAS 84 - 69 LIB

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/team_photo/_original/mas_small.jpg http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/team_photo/_original/lib_small.jpg

nardy
09-18-2009, 06:25 AM
RP vs KAZ is about to start.

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/team_photo/_original/kaz_small.jpg

they're pretty good looking :p

nardy
09-18-2009, 06:37 AM
FIBA Asia Women's Championship

Live Statistics

18 Sep 2009 11:00 Kazakhstan (FIBA Ranked#49) vs Philippines (FIBA Ranked#53)

Live Now (http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/5075/01/02/16/441pyHYIFQ2/)

Please note we beaten FIBA Ranked#40 Malaysia

TrueBluePinoy
09-18-2009, 06:41 AM
Our girls are fouling too much

KAZ 9 - 4 PHI

nardy
09-18-2009, 06:48 AM
KAZ - PHI

11 - 10

3:58 TO GO 1ST QTR

for Play-by-Play

http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/5075/01/02/16/441pyHYIFQ2/

TrueBluePinoy
09-18-2009, 06:51 AM
Kaz 14 - 10 phi

TrueBluePinoy
09-18-2009, 06:56 AM
End of 1st

KAZ 17 - 15 PHI

Both teams are neck and neck.

phevergy
09-18-2009, 07:01 AM
End of 1st

KAZ 17 - 15 PHI

Both teams are neck and neck.

Lebanon is playing with naturalized player?pls confirm.:)

interxavierxxx
09-18-2009, 07:04 AM

Yes, they have a naturalized player. I expect this trend to continue with other Middle Eastern teams.

By the way, Kazakhs are giving up too many turnovers at the first half.

nardy
09-18-2009, 07:08 AM

Yes, but pls backread several postings have been made in pages 18 and 20 of this thread.

She's former WNBA player 6'6 Chantelle Anderson.

But what I could not understand is that Anderson was a member of the Gold Medal-winning USA Basketball Jones Cup Team in 2000 as well as being on the Gold Medal-winning U.S. team at the World University Games in 2001. With this, it gives me hope that we have a chance of getting FIBA approval for Christian Standhardinger.

interxavierxxx
09-18-2009, 07:10 AM
Both teams are shooting poorly in the 2nd Q. It's still a 19-all deadlock.

qnxt
09-18-2009, 07:13 AM
Rp-19
kzk-24

nardy
09-18-2009, 07:22 AM
NGEK :eek: :confused: :(

End of 2nd Qtr

KAZ - PHI

32 - 21

qnxt
09-18-2009, 07:24 AM
13-2 run by Kazakz

32-21 for Kazak..

Arayi 9pts all in 1st, havent scored in 2nd
RP- 0/7 from 3pts
7/42 FG. Wat a Fg%.

qnxt
09-18-2009, 07:43 AM
it's 46-27 for Kazakz

RP has only 3 ast overall 10 by kazaks
0/8 from 3pts against 5/11 by Kazakz
9/53 FG to 15/44...

13TO by Kazakz convertd to 0pts by RP.

huhuhu...
Big Difference.

patay-butiki
09-18-2009, 01:56 PM
Ouch. tambak.... :(

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/091809/kaz-phi/_483x332/kaz_phi_3.jpg
Ma. Ana Fatima Tolentino trails Anastassiya ALISHAUSKAITE

18/09/2009
Second Day of the 23rd FIBA Asia Women Championship, Chennai (India).

KAZAKHS ROLL PAST PHILIPPINES

CHENNAI (23rd FIBA Asia Women Championship) - Kazakhstan opened up the game in the second quarter and then built on it to beat Philippines 71-52 on Thursday.

The win perched Kazakhstan as the only unbeaten team in Level II having won both their games. Philippines have a 1-1 win-loss record.

Lyudmila Sedova scored five of her games nine points and Anastassia Alishauskite scored five of her team-high 18 in the second quarter as Kazakhstan outscored their opponents 15-6 in the second to move decisively ahead.

Oxana Ivanova and Mariya Protsenko took over from there and consolidated Kazakhstans position in the second half.

Ten of Protsenkos 12 for the game and eight of Ivanovas ten came in the second half.

Philippines played with their usual effervescence, but were outsized by the much taller Kazakhstan.

For the record, Kazakhstans average height is 182.45 cms as against Philippines 170 cms.
That Kazakhstan won the battle of boards 58-38 with Ivanova, Sedova and Natalya Kuzmicheva each collecting 11 rebounds reflected the difference in size.

Merenciana Arayis game-high 26 points was the highest for Philippines.

Chovi Borja chipped in with 16 points.

the team is just too small.

oh well....

b3lowzro
09-19-2009, 03:55 AM
hmmm looks like that Arayi did score half of the team's points in the game. I wonder what happened to rest of the team?

Baller Jobe
09-19-2009, 09:09 AM
RP leading Uzbekistan 32-22.

Baller Jobe
09-19-2009, 09:18 AM
Halftime score: Philippines 38-26 Uzbekistan

durden_tyler
09-19-2009, 09:50 AM
Ouch 33-17 3rd quarter for Uzbekistan :( They now have the lead going into the final canto.

TrueBluePinoy
09-19-2009, 09:51 AM
Tsk.

RP 55 - 59 Uzbekistan

The girls are making too many turnovers again!:mad:

TrueBluePinoy
09-19-2009, 09:56 AM
RP 60 - 59 Uzbekistan

durden_tyler
09-19-2009, 10:00 AM
Nice bounce back: 8-to-none start in the fourth. WE should hold on to this lead. Anyone knows the format for these group stages? Am too lazy to look it up.

TrueBluePinoy
09-19-2009, 10:06 AM
The teams are trading baskets

75 - 71 RP

TrueBluePinoy
09-19-2009, 10:08 AM
More unnecessary fouls again.

Woops. The Uzbeks are beginning to lose their cool. Unsportsmanlike foul on one of their players.

durden_tyler
09-19-2009, 10:12 AM
Just posting this here. And yeah, i am a bit confused :D

System of Competition

In order to balance the level of competitions, the FIBA Asia Championship for Women is played in two levels: Level I and Level II.

The number of the teams in Level I is set at six (6). The teams to be qualified into Level I of the FIBA Asia Championship for Women Championship must be already
set out at the end of the previous FIBA Asia Championship for Women by the FIBA ASIA Women Committee, using as basis, the teams' performance
at that Championship.

Level I:

The teams will form one (1) group. Each team will play all the other teams in the group in one (1) Preliminary Round.
The four best-placed teams in this round will qualify into the Final Round.

Semi Finals:

Final Round:
Game 1: 1 vs 4
Game 2: 2 vs 3

Finals:
Final Round:
Game 3 Loser 1 vs Loser 2 (3rd and 4th)
Game 4 Winner 1 vs Winner 2 (1st and 2nd)

Level II:

The other teams will form one (1) group. Each team will play all the other teams in the group in one (1) Round. FIBA Official
Basketball Rules for "Classification of Teams" shall apply for standing of the teams in the group.

Qualification to Level I of next Championship:
At the end of the Preliminary Round the 5th & 6th placed teams in Level I
and the 1st & 2nd placed team in Level II will play decisive games for qualification to Level I of the next FIBA ASIA Women
Championship:

Game 1: 5th Level I vs 2nd Level II
Game 2: 6th Level I vs 1st Level II

Winners of Game 1 and Game 2 will have the right to play in Level I of the next FIBA ASIA Women Championship besidethe four best placed teams of Level I of this Championship.

Losers of Game 1 and Game 2 will have to play in Level II of the next FIBA ASIA Women Championship

TrueBluePinoy
09-19-2009, 10:14 AM
Final

RP 81 - 73 Uzbekistan

Terrible Terrible 3rd Quarter.

durden_tyler
09-19-2009, 10:23 AM
Final

RP 81 - 73 Uzbekistan

Terrible Terrible 3rd Quarter.

But hey they did bounce back in the 4th nicely. Who are the favorites in this tournament?

TrueBluePinoy
09-19-2009, 10:36 AM
But hey they did bounce back in the 4th nicely. Who are the favorites in this tournament?

Level 1: Last year's champion Korea, China and Japan.

Level 2: Demoted Malaysia, Kazakhstan and Lebanon.

durden_tyler
09-19-2009, 11:01 AM
^ Thanks.

So let me get this straight (correct me if i am wrong on this)

Philippines (as well as Level II teams) don't have the chance to qualify for the FIBA Worlds but has a chance to up their level.

Level II teams (where RP belongs) need to make the top four in their group then to the semis of this level (1 vs. 4, 2 vs. 3)

The winners from this point will battle the 5th and 6th teams in the other Level... And the winners of which will be elevated (or remain) on the next level and the losers will be relegated (or remain) on the other level. Correct?

TrueBluePinoy
09-19-2009, 11:07 AM
^ Thanks.

So let me get this straight (correct me if i am wrong on this)

Philippines (as well as Level II teams) don't have the chance to qualify for the FIBA Worlds but has a chance to up their level.

Level II teams (where RP belongs) need to make the top four in their group then to the semis of this level (1 vs. 4, 2 vs. 3)

The winners from this point will battle the 5th and 6th teams in the other Level... And the winners of which will be elevated (or remain) on the next level and the losers will be relegated (or remain) on the other level. Correct?

Nope.

The 5th and 6th will placers in Level 1 will face the 1st and 2nd placers in Level II in a Relegation match

5th vs 2nd
6th vs 1st

durden_tyler
09-19-2009, 11:08 AM
Nope.

The 5th and 6th will placers in Level 1 will face the 1st and 2nd placers in Level II in a Relegation match

5th vs 2nd
6th vs 1st

But that's just what i said, right? ? :D

durden_tyler
09-19-2009, 11:12 AM
Ok, i overlooked the fact that LEVEL II teams won't have the playoffs to decide who goes #1 and #2 so the prelims record is all that matters. Thanks. It's clear now.

nardy
09-19-2009, 11:13 AM
Just posting this here. And yeah, i am a bit confused :D

It's like Davis Cup Tennis wherein teams are grouped into different levels and teams could be promoted and relegated due to their performance.

In the Womens FIBA-Asia, Only the the teams in Level I would be compeating for World stage slots. In this Chennai tournament, the top three teams from Level I will book their ticket to the 2010 FIBA World Championship for Women scheduled to be held in Czech Republic from Sept 23 to Oct 3, 2010. Please not unlike the Men's tournament, there is no Wildcard tournament or no Wildcard Qualifyers.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7b/2010_FIBA_World_Championship_for_Women_logo.png
http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/10/FWCW/_org/road_to_CZE.jpg

The bottom 2 teams in Level I had the risk of being relegated to Level II. The Top 2 teams in Level II are rewarded by their performance in the current tournament by having the chance of promotion to Level I. The play-off would be:

Game 1: 5th Level I vs 2nd Level II
Game 2: 6th Level I vs 1st Level II

With the winners going to Level I and the losers to Level II for the next FIBA-Asia tournament in 2011.

durden_tyler
09-19-2009, 11:15 AM
Come to think of it.. i think this should be applied to the Men's competition. It would be more than fair.

nardy
09-19-2009, 11:37 AM
Philippines vs Malaysia

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/091709/phi-mas/_400/phi_mas_9.jpg

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/091709/phi-mas/_400/phi_mas_8.jpg

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/091709/phi-mas/_400/phi_mas_3.jpg

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/091709/phi-mas/_400/phi_mas_2.jpg

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/091709/phi-mas/_400/phi_mas_13.jpg

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/091709/phi-mas/_400/phi_mas_12.jpg

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/091709/phi-mas/_400/phi_mas_11.jpg

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/091709/phi-mas/_400/phi_mas_10.jpg

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/091709/phi-mas/_400/phi_mas_0.jpg

nardy
09-19-2009, 11:38 AM
Philippines vs Kazakhstan

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/091809/kaz-phi/_400/kaz_phi_8.jpg

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/091809/kaz-phi/_400/kaz_phi_7.jpg

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/091809/kaz-phi/_400/kaz_phi_6.jpg

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/091809/kaz-phi/_400/kaz_phi_5.jpg

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/091809/kaz-phi/_400/kaz_phi_4.jpg

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/091809/kaz-phi/_400/kaz_phi_2.jpg

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/091809/kaz-phi/_400/kaz_phi_1.jpg

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/091809/kaz-phi/_400/kaz_phi_0.jpg

nardy
09-19-2009, 11:43 AM
Philippines vs Uzbekistan

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/team_photo/_original/uzb_small.jpg

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/091909/phi-uzb/_400/phi_uzb_9.jpg

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/091909/phi-uzb/_400/phi_uzb_8.jpg

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/091909/phi-uzb/_400/phi_uzb_7.jpg

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/091909/phi-uzb/_400/phi_uzb_6.jpg

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/091909/phi-uzb/_400/phi_uzb_5.jpg

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/091909/phi-uzb/_400/phi_uzb_4.jpg

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/091909/phi-uzb/_400/phi_uzb_3.jpg

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/091909/phi-uzb/_400/phi_uzb_2.jpg

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/091909/phi-uzb/_400/phi_uzb_1.jpg

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/091909/phi-uzb/_400/phi_uzb_0.jpg

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/pages/eng/fe/09/fascw/news/p/nid/32202/sid/4026/game-report.html (http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/pages/eng/fe/09/fascw/news/p/nid/32202/sid/4026/game-report.html)

PHI/UZB Filipinos scrape past Uzbekistan
19/09/2009

CHENNAI (23rd FIBA Asia Women Championship) - Philippines and Uzbekistan waged a see-saw battle before the former closed their defense together in the dying moments to eke out a 81-73 win in a Level II game on Saturday.

The win has left Philippines 2-1, while Uzbekistan are 1-2.

Joan Grajales scored on the paint to put Philippines 79-73 ahead, the highest lead for the team in the fourth quarter, and converted both the free-throws on Irina Poluninas unsportsmanlike foul.

That this lead came when there was very little time left on the clock proved decisive in Philippines favour.

For Grajales it was an ideal way to cap a fruitful day.

The 30-year-old had six assists and rebounds apiece to add meat to her game-high 22 points.

Fortunes for most part of the game had swung like a yo-yo, but Philippines solidified at just about the right juncture.

Philippines who turned the ball over 20 times in the first three quarters, pulled up their socks and cut it down to a mere three in the fourth quarter.

Merenciana Arayi maintained form with 20 points for Philippines.

Yelena Khusnitdinova was the highest scorer for Uzbekistan with 15 points.

Guzal Burieva, Polunina and Alla Krasovskaya each had 10 points.

FIBA Asia

durden_tyler
09-19-2009, 11:45 AM
Remaining games:

RP vs. LEB + SRI
LEB vs. RP + KAZ
KAZ vs. LEB + UZB
MAS vs. UZB + SRI

Malaysia has the easiest road and will most likely net that top spot (4-1 record); Assuming we lose to Lebanon, they are going to climb to 3-1 and even they lose against Kaz, we'd still have the short end of the stick because we lost to both teams (tied at 3-2) which leaves us outside looking in...

LEBANON vs. PHILIPPINES tomorrow is going to be big.

nardy
09-19-2009, 12:23 PM
Remaining games:

RP vs. LEB + SRI
LEB vs. RP + KAZ
KAZ vs. LEB + UZB
MAS vs. UZB + SRI

Malaysia has the easiest road and will most likely net that top spot (4-1 record); Assuming we lose to Lebanon, they are going to climb to 3-1 and even they lose against Kaz, we'd still have the short end of the stick because we lost to both teams (tied at 3-2) which leaves us outside looking in...

Day 3 Level 2 Round-Up - Malaysia down Kazakhstan; Filipinos pip Uzbeks
19/09/2009

CHENNAI (23rd FIBA Asia Women Championship) - With four teams locked at two wins and one loss apiece, Sundays rest day is sure to be well utilized by the lead protagonists of the Level II competition here.

With two games left and a lot of cries-crossing results to be counted, the full effect of Saturdays results will be known only when the final whistle is blown.

None more than Philippines well-fought 81-73 triumph over Uzbekistan.

Malaysia and Lebanon had earlier in the day also posted their second win in three outings.

Malaysia defeated a much taller opponent for the second day running in their 71-57 win over Kazakhstan. And Lebanon carried too many guns to quash Sri Lanka 96-54.

The defeat pulled Kazakhstan to 2-1 and Sri Lanka are yet to win.

In terms of improvement in performance, Malaysia are way ahead than the rest of the teams not only in Level II, but the entire 12-team fray.

The SEABA nation rode on that very factor and handed Kazakhstan their first defeat.

Malaysia, who fell from Level I at the last edition in Incheon, thus improved their chances to regain their place in the elite group.

Ang Siew Teng came off the bench and led the Malaysian charge with a game-high 20 points.

Pee Yann Yann continued her good showing with 16 points and four assists.

Kazakhstan won the rebounds battle by a whopping 58-28 margin, but shot a miserable 28% in field.

Nataliya Kuzmicheva was the highest scorer with 18 points.

American Chantelle Andersons second quarter splurge put Lebanon in firm control and the West Asian hopefuls cruised along thereafter against Sri Lanka.

Sri Lanka did manage to breathe down on their much better-equipped rivals for a major part of the first quarter, when the scores were locked 20-20.

But Anderson who was rather subdued till then scored 13 of her game-high 22 points in the second quarter as Lebanon outscored Sri Lanka 29-11 and surged ahead.

Rebecca Akl continued the Akl familys services to Lebanese basketball elder brothers Rodrigue and Ralph play for the Lebanese mens teams with 16 points, in a superb 70% field record (7/10).

Premila Beruwalage was the highest scorer for Sri Lanka with 16 points, but eight of them in first quarter.

Philippines and Uzbekistan waged a see-saw battle before the former closed their defense together in the dying moments.

Fortunes for most part of the game had swung like a yo-yo, but Philippines solidified at just about the right juncture.

Philippines who turned the ball over 20 times in the first three quarters, pulled up their socks and cut it down to a mere three in the fourth quarter.

Joan Grajales had six assists and rebounds apiece to add meat to her game-high 22 points.

Merenciana Arayi maintained form with 20 points for Philippines.

Yelena Khusnitdinova was the highest scorer for Uzbekistan with 15 points.

S Mageshwaran
FIBA Asia

nardy
09-19-2009, 12:32 PM

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/team_photo/_original/lib_small.jpg

Hey there must be something cooking .... all of the sudden the Stats of all Lebanese players just got erased from the chennai2009.fibaasia.net website.
Aside from that all the Lebanese were erased from the page listing the Participating Players (http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/pages/eng/fe/09/fascw/p/sid/4026/tid/317/player-search.html).

Hehehe I called-up the attention of Noli Eala a day ago to ask the FIBA how come they allowed Chantelle Anderson to play for Lebanon when Anderson was a member of the Gold Medal-winning USA Basketball Jones Cup Team in 2000 as well as being on the Gold Medal-winning U.S. team at the World University Games in 2001. My idea is actually to find out if we can apply what they done to our plan with Standhardinger but something could have came-up. :p Let's see for further announcement.

durden_tyler
09-19-2009, 12:35 PM
http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/team_photo/_original/lib_small.jpg

Hey there must be something cooking .... all of the sudden the Stats of all Lebanese players just got erased from the chennai2009.fibaasia.net website.

Hehehe I called-up the attention of Noli Eala a day ago to ask the FIBA how come they allowed Chantelle Anderson to play for Lebanon when Anderson was a member of the Gold Medal-winning USA Basketball Jones Cup Team in 2000 as well as being on the Gold Medal-winning U.S. team at the World University Games in 2001.

Nice find Nardy. Update us if we are going to formally file a protest. They showed grit earlier today and they need to play like that for tomorrow's crucial tiff.

nardy
09-19-2009, 12:55 PM
Nice find Nardy. Update us if we are going to formally file a protest. They showed grit earlier today and they need to play like that for tomorrow's crucial tiff.

But whether Lebanon forfeits it's previous 3 games or not, here are the performance of our girls in their 1st three games:

Philippines
PPG 64.7
RPG 32.0
ORPG 11.3
DRPG 20.7
ASPG 9.0
FG2P% 38.9%
FG3P% 22.7%
FT% 64.0%

Team Leaders

Points per game
1. M. ARAYI 17.7
2. S. VALENCIA 15.0
3. J. GRAJALES 9.7
4. C. BORJA 8.3
5. C. LUBIANO 6.7

Rebounds per game
1. C. LUBIANO 6.0
2. J. GRAJALES 5.0
3. D. JOSE 4.3
4. M. ARAYI 3.7
4. C. TIOSECO 3.7

Assists per game
1. J. GRAJALES 4.0
2. D. JOSE 1.3
3. C. TIOSECO 1.0
3. S. VALENCIA 1.0
5. C. BORJA 0.7

rtk04
09-19-2009, 01:04 PM

Aside from that all the Lebanese were erased from the page listing the Participating Players (http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/pages/eng/fe/09/fascw/p/sid/4026/tid/317/player-search.html).

Hehehe I called-up the attention of Noli Eala a day ago to ask the FIBA how come they allowed Chantelle Anderson to play for Lebanon when Anderson was a member of the Gold Medal-winning USA Basketball Jones Cup Team in 2000 as well as being on the Gold Medal-winning U.S. team at the World University Games in 2001. My idea is actually to find out if we can apply what they done to our plan with Standhardinger but something could have came-up. :p Let's see for further announcement.

but you missed something important...jones cup and university games are not under fiba's list of competitions + they dont affect in the rank....thus everything about chantelle is legal:D

nardy
09-19-2009, 01:24 PM
but you missed something important...jones cup and university games are not under fiba's list of competitions + they dont affect in the rank....thus everything about chantelle is legal:D

Yes .... I know but I was really puzzled why the Lebanese players names and stats were suddenly removed from the Chennai website. As I said, my purpose was for Noli to get tips from the Lebanese on how they got FIBA Approval.

And as I said let's just wait for an official announcement as it could just be a "bug" in the FIBA-Asia website.

patay-butiki
09-19-2009, 01:37 PM
GROUP B STANDINGS (as of Sept. 19, 2009)

1. KAZ 2 1 222 163 5
2. LIB 2 1 248 206 5
3. MAS 2 1 210 187 5
4. PHI 2 1 194 199 5
5. UZB 1 2 230 212 4
6. SRI 0 3 142 279 3

hmmm... i'm not sure about the tie-break that will be used just in case. but if KAZ and PHI end up identical 4-1 (assuming they both beat LIB), we might not be able to surpass the 19 point deficit in the loss to KAZ (assuming the rule is not winner over the loser, which i doubt is the rule for tie-breakers here). if the tie-break is PTS FOR - PTS AGST, then PHI has to beat SRI by more than 60 points to have a chance of surpassing KAZ (KAZ beat SRI by 54 pts).

best scenario is that PHI wins over LIB, and LIB wins over KAZ.

LIB is beatable as they lost to MAS by 15 pts. PHI beat MAS by 6 pts.

in any case, i think PHI is already overperforming. as i said before, the PHI lineup is not the best one sent to international competitions in recent years (2007 SEAG team is better, i think).

durden_tyler
09-19-2009, 01:47 PM
GROUP B STANDINGS (as of Sept. 19, 2009)

1. KAZ 2 1 222 163 5
2. LIB 2 1 248 206 5
3. MAS 2 1 210 187 5
4. PHI 2 1 194 199 5
5. UZB 1 2 230 212 4
6. SRI 0 3 142 279 3

hmmm... i'm not sure about the tie-break that will be used just in case. but if KAZ and PHI end up identical 4-1 (assuming they both beat LIB), we might not be able to surpass the 19 point deficit in the loss to KAZ (assuming the rule is not winner over the loser, which i doubt is the rule for tie-breakers here). if the tie-break is PTS FOR - PTS AGST, then PHI has to beat SRI by more than 72 points to have a chance of surpassing KAZ (KAZ beat SRI by 54 pts).

best scenario is that PHI wins over LIB, and LIB wins over KAZ.

LIB is beatable as they lost to MAS by 15 pts. PHI beat MAS by 6 pts.

in any case, i think PHI is already overperforming. as i said before, the PHI lineup is not the best one sent to international competitions in recent years (2007 SEAG team is better, i think).

No. FIBA rules quotient is the same for all competitions so the win-over-the other apply.

If there's a lone tie between Kazakhstan and Philippines, we end up 2nd on that tiebreak because of the win-over-the-other rule.

In case there's a triple tie with Kazakhstan and Lebanon, the records are considered first then the quotients.

There's even a quadruple tie if Malaysia manages to lose to one of Sri Lanka and Uzbekistan.

patay-butiki
09-19-2009, 02:21 PM
No. FIBA rules quotient is the same for all competitions so the win-over-the other apply.

If there's a lone tie between Kazakhstan and Philippines, we end up 2nd on that tiebreak because of the win-over-the-other rule.

In case there's a triple tie with Kazakhstan and Lebanon, the records are considered first then the quotients.

There's even a quadruple tie if Malaysia manages to lose to one of Sri Lanka and Uzbekistan.

i see. in that case, PHI has to beat LIB and LIB has to beat KAZ. I don't think MAS will lose to UZB.

if the above happens, PHI and MAS end up identical 4-1 and PHI gets no.1 because of the tie-break.

but at this point, the likeliest scenario is we're tied at no. 2 with KAZ. in which case, we lose the tie-break. we may also lose to LIB and end up tied at no.3, in which case we lose the tie-break again.

oh well....

at this point, we just have to pray. go team pilipinas!!! :)

nardy
09-19-2009, 03:06 PM
FIBA World Ranking sorted by FIBA-Asia:

7. China
9. Korea
14. Japan
21. Chinese Taipei
37. Thailand
40. Malaysia
41. India
44. Hong Kong
49. Kazakhstan
51. Uzbekistan
52. Sri Lanka
53. Philippines
55. Singapore
59. D.P.R.of Korea
61. Vietnam
63. Macau
66. Lebanon

2007 FIBA ASIA CHAMPIONSHIP FOR WOMEN - INCHEON, SOUTH KOREA

FINAL RANKING
# TEAM W-L
1. Korea 7 - 0 (Gold) *
2. China 4 - 3 (Silver)
3. Japan 5 - 2 (Bronze)
4. Chinese Taipei 2 - 5
5. Thailand 2 - 4
6. Malaysia 0 - 6
7. India 6 - 0
8. Hong Kong 4 - 2
9. Uzbekistan 3 - 2
10. Vietnam 2 - 3
11. Singapore 1 - 4
12. Sri Lanka 0 - 5

Malaysia lost to India 68-86 and Thailand beat Hong Kong 71-41 thus placing Thailand and India in Level I and Malaysia and Hong Kong to Level II for the Chennai, India FIBA-Asia.

* - lone Asian Qualifyer to the Beijing Olympics as China as Host is automatically qualified.

China finished 4th place in Beijing behind the United States, Australia and Russia. South Korea finished at 8th place in the 12-team field.

nardy
09-19-2009, 03:37 PM
Philippine National Women's Team performance at the FIBA-Asia Championships:

1965 Seoul, South Korea - 4th
1968 Taipei, Chinese-Taipei - 6th
1970 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia - DNP
1972 Taipei, Chinese-Taipei - DNP
1974 Seoul, South Korea - DNP
1976 Hong Kong - 6th
1978 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia - 8th
1980 Hong Kong - DNP
1982 Tokyo, Japan - 8th
1984 Shanghai, China - 4th
1986 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia - DNP
1988 Hong Kong - DNP
1990 Singapore - DNP
1992 Seoul, South Korea - DNP
1994 Sendai, Japan - 11th
1995 Shizuoka, Japan - 9th
1997 Bangkok, Thailand - DNP
1999 Shizuoka, Japan - DNP
2001 Bangkok, Thailand - DNP
2004 Sendai, Japan - 8th
2005 Qinhuangdao, China -11th
2007 Incheon, South Korea - DNP

patay-butiki
09-21-2009, 03:31 AM
a liitle bit dated, but here's a video of the philippine women's NT being interviewed by Charlene Gonzales.

cassie tioseco is obviously very articulate. also in the interview are joan grajales and aurora adriano.

by the way, charlene is what? 5'11"? if her busy sked permits, maybe she should try out for the team. :p

too bad there's gonna be no basketball in this year's Laos SEAG. :(

DTbSTWg8aEw&feature=related

patay-butiki
09-21-2009, 04:37 AM
PHILIPPINE TEAM to 2009 Asian Youth Games.

http://www.eppo.go.th/inter/phil2004/philstar_logo.gif

Dribblers trounce Japanese, reach quarters
By Abac Cordero (The Philippine Star) Updated July 03, 2009 12:00 AM
http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/7471/spo4.jpg
The girls basketball team made up of Jonah Mari Melendres, Tara Araneta, Danica Jose and Tricia Piatos with an RP team official during a break in their event.

Methinks the caption is wrong. So i'll try to identify the players (from L-R):
Danica Therese Jose, Tricia Piatos, Tara Araneta, Jonah Mari Melendres, and unidentified RP team official.

here's a vid of their game against sri lanka. the 6'1" danica jose is pretty impressive. now if only fretzie oyao can move like her, then the future looks bright for the philippines.

TDBCTySFv1A&feature=related

nardy
09-21-2009, 07:24 AM
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs245.snc1/9219_1209512525600_1462322359_576070_1440225_n.jpg

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/2592/92191204305755434146232.jpg

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/2757/n5221660712850941214.jpg

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/7408/58491177528566021146232.jpg

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/6670/92191207308950512146232.jpg

Lebanese Women National Team
2009 ROSTER

Nasr Chada 175-G-83
Sandra Najem 165-G-88 Homentmen Antelias Lebanon
Rebeca Akl Sporting Al Riyadi Beirut Lebanon
Nathalie Sevajian 170-G-88 Homentmen Antelias Lebanon
Nathalie Mamo 172-G-86 Sporting Al Riyadi Beirut Lebanon
Nisrin Dandan 172-G-77 Antranik Beirut Lebanon
Nour Schoucair 169-G-85 Antranik Beirut Lebanon
Nayla Alameddine 175-F-82 Antranik Beirut Lebanon
Line Reda Antranik Beirut Lebanon
Chirine El Charif 185-F-84 Antranik Beirut Lebanon
Tamara Khalil 185-F-86 Antranik Beirut Lebanon
Emma Eskidjian C-71 Sporting Al Riyadi Beirut Lebanon
Chantelle Anderson 199-C-81 Atlanta Dream

Players to watch:

Shada Nasr
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/2972/68232778989054676876804.jpg

Chantelle Anderson
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/2938/68232778989404676876804.jpg

Nisrin Dandan
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/1640/68232778989554676876804.jpg

Nayla Alameddine
http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/2749/68232778989454676876804.jpg

Nathalie Sevajian
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/5877/68232779015704676876804.jpg

nardy
09-21-2009, 09:53 AM
with less than 3 minutes to go at the 3rd qtr the Philippines is getting pumelled by Chantelle (15pts) and the Lebaneses women 59-33 as it is Chovi Borja who is the only one among the Filipinas who is finding a way to score with 19 pts. Everybody else was practically shutted down by Lebanon. They scouted our team so well that the Lebanese seem to know what our players would do before they could actually make their move.

nardy
09-21-2009, 10:43 AM
The Philippines was simply outclassed by Lebanon as the Lebanese posted a 78-54 win. Only Chovi Borja was able to score for the Filipinas in the 1st three qtrs with 19 pts but the Lebanese was able to limit her to only 2 pts in the 4th qtr so she ended up with 21 pts and 4 rebounds for the whole game. When the game was practically over two other Pinays (Diana Jose and Cassie Tioseco) were able to finish at double figures at 11 pts as the next 2 scorers (Arayi and Tolentino) only managed 3 pts. Tioseco had 9 rebounds while Mercado had 2 assists, Arayi 2 steals and Grajales 6 rebounds 1 block. Not a single Filipina played more than 29 minutes as Coach Haydee kept on shuffling to get the right combination as 7 players played at least 20 minutes.

The top performers for Lebanon are Nasr 16 pts 5 rebounds 6 assists, Chantelle 15 pts 8 rebounds 2 assists and El Charif 10 pts 16 rebounds 2 steals 4 blocks. Najem also topscored at 16 pts and they got 14 pts from Alameddine. Anderson, El Charif, Aldmeddine and Nasr played more than 30 minutes while Najem had 24 minutes.

FG% Leb 37 Phi 30
3pt% Leb 33 Phi 20
FT% Leb 63 Phi 65
Rebounds Leb 42 Phi 34
Assists Leb 13 Phi 8
Steals Leb 11 Phi 5
Blocks Leb 4 Phi 1
Fouls Leb 12 Phi 22
Turnovers Leb 12 Phi 22

Lebanon-Philippines scores and the end of each quarter were:
1st Qtr 18-13
2nd Qtr 38-24
3rd Qtr 60-35
4th Qtr 78-54

Next game for the Philippines is Sri Lanka.

durden_tyler
09-21-2009, 12:13 PM
Tough luck for the Filipinas, Lebanon (3-1) is just waayy stronger than us.

Kazakhstan (3-1) and Malaysia (3-1) did win on their games so there's no zero chance we can advance and move up to Level I.

Maybe next time again.

patay-butiki
09-21-2009, 12:16 PM
yep. so we'll end up 4th in level II. oh well....

nardy
09-21-2009, 02:51 PM

maybe it's not really our time .... as 2011 would be the renaissance of Philippine basketball for both men and women. Let's all pray for that.

Baller Jobe
09-22-2009, 01:03 AM
Is there a chance to get the Fil-American center who played for the US girls' junior team which recently won the gold medal in the U-19 world championships? If we are trying to get Christian Standhardinger then might as well get Chay as well for the RP women's team. They are practically in the same predicament.

nardy
09-22-2009, 05:12 AM
Is there a chance to get the Fil-American center who played for the US girls' junior team which recently won the gold medal in the U-19 world championships? If we are trying to get Christian Standhardinger then might as well get Chay as well for the RP women's team. They are practically in the same predicament.

the biggest difference between our Men's and Women's teams are the Males could get salaries while the Females are given only allowances. So the situation is really not the same.

Baller Jobe
09-22-2009, 05:24 AM
the biggest difference between our Men's and Women's teams are the Males could get salaries while the Females are given only allowances. So the situation is really not the same.

When I say "same predicament", I was referring more on them having represented other countries before. As for the salaries and finances, that's almost a given, considering that the RP women's team did not even have any international exposure etc.. But if SBP is really serious in beefing up not only the men's team but the women's team as well then perhaps the girls should be given a respectable financial compensation. Tiu's Discovery group will be very helpful and Mikee Romero as well. I've worked with Noli way back and I think he is open to the women's revitalization given the right talents.

nardy
09-22-2009, 06:50 AM
When I say "same predicament", I was referring more on them having represented other countries before. As for the salaries and finances, that's almost a given, considering that the RP women's team did not even have any international exposure etc.. But if SBP is really serious in beefing up not only the men's team but the women's team as well then perhaps the girls should be given a respectable financial compensation. Tiu's Discovery group will be very helpful and Mikee Romero as well. I've worked with Noli way back and I think he is open to the women's revitalization given the right talents.

we are really working on finding Filipino blooded talents overseas and are thankfull to the Discovery group, Ever Bilena and the other supporters of women's basketball but there is really a need for big money businesses to come in. MVP cant do it alone especially now he is also supporting Amateur Boxing and a lot of teams and individuals under the umbrella of SMART Sports. Mikee Romero is now preoccupied with the ABL and Philippine Cycling aside from the PBL.

Since we could not yet give basketball salaries so that our women's players can concentrate on playing we could not even attract filipinas based overseas to comeover. A number of them are willing to come but only for a short period of time as they need to earn a living. Even our more talented homegrown Female players had opted to work at the corporate world or become OFWs in order to earn a living. As of now our current women's team sponsors could only spare to give allowances but does not find it viable to give salaries for basketball.

icebreaker
09-22-2009, 07:13 AM
Let's just hope RP women's team will perform better next time around. At least they have beaten Malaysia. In the coming SEA Games, they have a chance to get the gold medal.

nardy
09-22-2009, 09:28 AM

the Philippines feeling down after the loss to Lebanon fell behind winless Sri Lanka 15-20 at the end of the first quarter. But they found their bearings come the 2nd qtr as they limited the Lankans to 3 pts so at the half it's 26-23 Philippines.

nardy
09-22-2009, 09:38 AM
Let's just hope RP women's team will perform better next time around. At least they have beaten Malaysia. In the coming SEA Games, they have a chance to get the gold medal.

pls note the strongest women's team in Southeast Asia now is Thailand which is competing in Level I of FIBA-Asia and would be battling Chinese-Taipei for 4th place in the eliminations after they beat host India 78-67 today.

nardy
09-22-2009, 10:09 AM
the Philippines avoided a disastrous ending by recovering their bearing and beat Sri Lanka 70-55. Key were Arayi's 23 points and Tioseco's 11 rebounds.

I think another thing which we Filipinos should learn is to control our emotions after each game as an emotional loss usually affects our performance at the next game. I do not know how the other teams do it but we should learn to do so.

YoJoe
09-22-2009, 10:37 AM
Despite the victory, a disappointing end to the Philippines' campaign. After a promising start in Game 1, we faltered. Lack of experience (and a naturalized player) was what hurt us the most. To win against Sri Lanka by only 15 points when others blew them out by 50 is almost like a loss in my mind. To totally dominate that game would have given momentum to our team for the next events.

Even on this last day, I was hoping for a Malaysia loss which would have moved us up in the rankings. But alas, you have to admire Malaysia, to come from behind and defeat both Lebanon and Uzbekistan. That is the kind of poise and end-game heroics we need.

I do think we will move up in the FIBA World Rankings, though. That is at least something to cheer about. I hope our Girls' Under-16 will do well in November!

nardy
09-22-2009, 11:06 AM
Despite the victory, a disappointing end to the Philippines' campaign. After a promising start in Game 1, we faltered. Lack of experience (and a naturalized player) was what hurt us the most. To win against Sri Lanka by only 15 points when others blew them out by 50 is almost like a loss in my mind. To totally dominate that game would have given momentum to our team for the next events.

Even on this last day, I was hoping for a Malaysia loss which would have moved us up in the rankings. But alas, you have to admire Malaysia, to come from behind and defeat both Lebanon and Uzbekistan. That is the kind of poise and end-game heroics we need.

I do think we will move up in the FIBA World Rankings, though. That is at least something to cheer about. I hope our Girls' Under-16 will do well in November!

I do feel we already found somebody who's capable of leading us .... Fretzie Oyao. At 17 years with a 6'6 height and still growing, it's just she needs the appropriate training in order to improve her capabilities. If only La Salle would let her join the SBP program, that would probably be a good start.

YoJoe
09-22-2009, 11:38 AM
Basketball is our national sport, yet for some reason, the Thais and Malaysians dominate SEA on the women's side. I'm not sure I understand how and why. That's like if our women's football team were to dominate the Malaysian and Thai teams, both of which consider football their national sport -- it won't happen.

We need to take back what is rightfully ours! To be the best in basketball in SEA for both men's and women's (at all age levels)! C'mon SBP and other corporate supporters of women's hoops!

nardy
09-22-2009, 03:38 PM
Philippines vs Lebanon:

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/092109/lib-phi/_400/ADNA9223.jpg

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/092109/lib-phi/_400/ADNA9291.jpg

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/092109/lib-phi/_400/ADNA9358.jpg

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/092109/lib-phi/_400/ADNA9482.jpg

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/092109/lib-phi/_400/ADNA9566.jpg

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/092109/lib-phi/_400/ADNA9890.jpg

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/092109/lib-phi/_400/ADNA9944.jpg

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/092109/lib-phi/_483x332/ADNA9838.jpg

LIB/PHI Lebanese solidity takes them past Filipinos
21/09/2009

CHENNAI (23rd FIBA Asia Women Championship) - West Asian hopefuls Lebanon played were at their cohesive best in the Championship and overpowered Philippines 78-54 in a crucial Level II game on Monday.

The win took Lebanon to 3-1 and left them needing a win against Kazakhstan on Tuesday in order to qualify for the Level I play-offs.

Philippines sank to 2-2, but pin on their hopes on extraneous factors.

Sandra Najems strike of form was the singular reason for the Lebanese dazzle.

The Homentmen Antelias guard inducted only in the second quarter fired in nine points of her 14 points, as Lebanon pulled away from a tricky 18-14 lead to a comfortable 38-24 comfort going into the changing rooms.

I guess things are beginning to fall in place the way we want, finally, said Lebanon coach Elie Nasr.

Chirine El Charif rose to the occasion with a double-double 10 points and a staggering 16 rebounds.

Nayla Alameddine, Chada Nasr and Chantelle Anderson were significant as usual.

Alameddine and Nasr shared the scoring honours for Lebanon with 16 points each the latter adding value with five rebounds and six assists.

Andereson had a 6/11 field record for her 15 points and eight rebounds.

Chovi Borjas game-high 21 for Philippines went in a losing cause.

FIBA Asia

nardy
09-22-2009, 03:44 PM
Philippines vs Sri Lanka:

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/092209/phi-sri/_400/ADNA3234.jpg

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/092209/phi-sri/_400/ADNA3262.jpg

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/092209/phi-sri/_400/ADNA3314.jpg

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/092209/phi-sri/_400/ADNA3320.jpg

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/092209/phi-sri/_400/ADNA3363.jpg

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/092209/phi-sri/_400/ADNA3516.jpg

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/092209/phi-sri/_400/ADNA3526.jpg

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/092209/phi-sri/_400/ADNA3656.jpg

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/092209/phi-sri/_400/ADNA3696.jpg

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/092209/phi-sri/_400/ADNA3718.jpg

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/092209/phi-sri/_400/ADNA3807.jpg

PHI/SRI Philippines round off with a win
22/09/2009

CHENNAI (23rd FIBA Asia Women Championship) - Philippines handed Sri Lanka a 70-55 defeat and wound up their campaign in the Championship with a 3-2 record.

Merenciana Arayis game-high 23 points and Cassandra Tiescos 11 rebounds were the significant factors in the Filipino victory.

Philippines thus finished fourth in Level II with an ironic victory over Level II toppers Malaysia.

Sri Lanka who had finished 12th in the Incheon edition of the Championship two years ago remained in that position.

Premila Beruwalage and Inoka Juwan Pedige led the scoring for Sri Lanka with 12 points each.

FIBA Asia

nardy
09-22-2009, 04:53 PM
http://asia-basket.com/images/logow.gif

Philippines National Team 2009 - Aug 27, 2009 (by Richard)

http://www.asia-basket.com/Philippines/Photos/ntw09.jpg

4 Sylvia Valencia 79 Discovery Suites - RP Team Philippines
5 Joan Grajales 162-G-79 Discovery Suites - RP Team Philippines
6 Chovi Borja 85 Oracle - FEU Philippines
7 Merenciana Arayi 85 Discovery Suites - RP Team Philippines
8 Cherrylyn Lubiano 77
9 Ma Ana Fatima Tolentito 87
10 Bernadette Mercado 86 Discovery Suites - RP Team Philippines
12 Diana Jose 173-F-85 Discovery Suites - RP Team Philippines
13 Cassandra Tioseco 180-C-87 Nutri-C - ADMU Philippines
15 Jessamine De los Reyes 87 Nutri-C - ADMU

Philippines hold off Malaysia in Asian Championship opener - Sep 17, 2009 (by Eurobasket News)

Philippines - Malaysia 61:55

Philippines made the first step towards reaching Level I at the Asian Championship for women. Earlier today they opened the tournament with a tough victory over Malaysia. Sylvia Valencia (79) paced Philippines with 15 points.

Merenciana Arayi (85) opened the score early in the game and Philippines maintained the lead throughout the starting frame. However Malaysia did not allow their opponents to run away as they trailed by just one point at the first intermission 19:20. Suik May Kew (172-F-82) hit a three-pointer midway through the second stanza as Malaysia jumped in front. Sylvia Valencia quickly restored the lead for Philippines and they rallied to a 33:27 advantage late in the first half. Siew Teng Ang capped the half with a three-pointer as Malaysia trailed by just three points. The complexion of the battle did not change in the third stanza. The lead changed hands several times and Philippines entered the fourth term ahead by only 2 points 48:46. Beng Fong Goh (164-G-82) set Malaysia in charge 55:54 but Philippines kept their opponents scoreless for the reminder of the contest and eked out a difficult win at the end.

Joan Grajales (162-G-79), Merenciana Arayi and Cherrylyn Lubiano (77) knocked down 7 points each for Philippines. Suik May Kew responded with 14 points for Malaysia. Beng Fong Goh added 11 points in defeat.

Philippines: Sylvia Valencia 15, Joan Grajales 7, Merenciana Arayi 7, Cherrylyn Lubiano 7
Malaysia: Suik May Kew 14, Beng Fong Goh 11

Kazakhstan celebrated the second victory at the Asian Championship - Sep 18, 2009 (by Eurobasket News)

Kazakhstan-Philippines 71:52

Kazakhstan celebrated the second victory at the Asian Championship in Chennai. They cruised past Philippines 71:52 for the second win to make another step towards reaching Level I.

Natalya Kuzmicheva made two free throws at the beginning of the game for the first lead. Diana Rose Jose tied the game at 2-2 and she gave Philippines15:14 lead later in the quarter. Tamara Seregina closed the first period at 17:15 and then Kazakhstan produced a 15-6 run in the second quarter. The latter won the third period 22-17 and had 54:38 at the end of thirty minutes. Kazakhstan did not allow the opponents to reduce the gap at the end and led the game to the victory. Anastassiya Alishauskaite (170-G-88) made a jump-shot for 61:44 and Oxana Ivanova scored for 65:48 later in the end.Cherrylyn Lubiano delivered the last points in the losing case, while Veronika Volikova made the final 71:52 score.

Anastassiya Alishauskaite top-scored for the winners with 18 points for 2-0 record. Mariya Protsenko (188-F-89) posted 12, whilst Anna Kucheryavykh (74) and Oxana Ivanova had 10 points apiece. Merenciana Arayi (85) erupted with 26 points and Chovi Borja (85) added 16. Philippines lost the first game and now has 1-1 record.

Kazakhstan: Anastassiya Alishauskaite 18, Mariya Protsenko 12, Anna Kucheryavykh 10, Oxana Ivanova 10+11 rebs
Philippines: Merenciana Arayi 26, Chovi Borja 16

Philippines prevail against Uzbekistan in Chennai - Sep 19, 2009 (by Eurobasket News)

Philippines - Uzbekistan 81:73

Philippines enjoyed the second win at the Asian Championship in Chennai. They held off Uzbekistan to improve at 2-1 record in Group B. Uzbekistan on the other hand slipped at 1-2 record. Joan Grajales (162-G-79) poured in 22 points and grabbed 6 boards to pilot Philippines to the win.

The first frame saw a leveled battle with neither side able to succeed. Merenciana Arayi (85) capped the quarter with a three-pointer to give Philippines a narrow 16:15 lead. Philippines used a 12:0 run in the second period to jump to a 13-point advantage. They maintained the advantage and arrived at halftime up by 12 points 38:26. But Uzbekistan responded right after the major break. Yelena Khusnitdinova (85), Tatarinova and Alla Krasovskaya (190-C-87) exploded with 12 points in a row to draw things level. Titova and Alla Krasovskaya followed with three more points as Uzbekistan jumped in front. Tatarinova made it 59:55 for Uzbekistan at the end of the third frame. Philippines opened the final stanza with six consecutive points to spur back in charge. They were up by just two points with 81 seconds to go in regulation. Joan Grajales and Chovi Borja gave Philippines a 79:73 advatnage with 36 seconds remaining. Uzbekistan could not answer and had to surrender at the end.

Merenciana Arayi finished with 20 points for Philippines. Lubiano netted 10 points in the win. Yelena Khusnitdinova answered with 15 points for Uzbekistan. Guzal Burieva (89), Irina Polunina (79) and Alla Krasovskaya had 10 points each in the loss.

Philippines: Joan Grajales 22, Merenciana Arayi 10 Cherrylyn Lubiano (77) 10
Uzbekistan: Yelena Khusnitdinova 15, Guzal Burieva 10, Irina Polunina 10, Alla Krasovskaya 10

Lebanon edged Philippines for the third victory - Sep 21, 2009 (by Eurobasket News)

Lebanon-Philippines 78:54

Lebanon earned the third victory in the Asian Women Championship. They rolled past Philippines today. The team improved to 3-1 for the higher places in the lower group after 78:54 win.

Chantelle Anderson (199-C-81, college: Vanderbilt) gave her team the first lead, while Chovi Borja (85) responded for 2:2. Merenciana Arayi tasted the lead with her team at 8:7, while Nasr Chada (83) closed the opening quarter at 18:13. Lebanon pushed the tempo for good in the second quarter when they won 20-11. It gave them 38:24 advantage at the halftime. Nayla Alameddine (175-F-82) brought 40:24 on the board, while Nasr Chada scored for 48:31. Cassandra Tioseco (180-C-87)made the basket for 52:33 and Nayla Alameddine led the way for 57:33. Nasr Chada closed the third period at 60:35, while Cassandra Tioseco opened the last frame from the perimeter.

Philippines managed to win the last stanza 19-18 but that was not enough for the total success. Line Reda brought her team the final points as Lebanon edged Philippines for the third victory.

Nasr Chada and Nayla Alameddine top-scored for the winners with 16 points apiece. Chantelle Anderson followed them with 15 points. Chovi Borja top-scored in defeat with 21 points as Philippines are 2-2 in the group. Cassandra Tioseco and Diana Rose Jose brought 11 points each in the losing effort.

Lebanon: Nasr Chada 16, Nayla Alameddine 16, Chantelle Anderson 15
Philippines: Chovi Borja 21, Cassandra Tioseco 11, Diana Rose Jose 11

Philippines beat Sri Lanka - Sep 22, 2009 (by Eurobasket News)

Philippines-Sri Lanka 70:55

Philippines beat Sri Lanka in their last game of the group to finish with 3-2 record. The team remained Sri Lanka winless after 70:55 in Day 5.

Inoka Sandamali Juwan Pedige gave her team the first lead from the perimeter, while Gallappaththiguruge increased the run to 5:0. Merenciana Arayi (85) tied the game at 5:5 and Gallappaththiguruge brought the lead back to Sri Lanka from the free throw line. Premila Beruwalage (81) delivered another points for 16:11 and she closed the opening quarter 20:15. In the second quarter however Sri Lanka scored only three points and trailed 26:23 at the halftime. Philippines found its game and dominated the court. they produced 24-10 in the third period for a comfortable lead. In the last frame Sri lanka was better 22-20, but that was not enough for the total success.

Philippines deserved the victory more and took it at the end anyway. Sri Lanka tried hard for the only win, but failed again.

Merenciana Arayi top-scored for the winners with 23 points. Chovi Borja (85) netted 10, while Diana Rose Jose scored 7. Premila Beruwalage and Inoka Sandamali Juwan Pedige posted 12 points each in defeat.

Philippines: Merenciana Arayi 23, Chovi Borja 10, Diana Rose Jose 7
Sri Lanka: Premila Beruwalage 12, Inoka Sandamali Juwan Pedige 12

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg53/nardym/2009ChennaiRP-1-1.jpg

patay-butiki
09-22-2009, 06:39 PM
anybody here knows our line-up for the following tournaments???

seaba starts on saturday? is this gonna push thru???

based on my sleuthing (i.e. googling, hehe), this might be some members of the line-up:

Careline Pilipinas Womens Youth Team (U-16)

2009 Singapore AYG 3-ON-3 veterans:
Trish Piatos (Ateneo de Davao)
Tara Araneta (Ateneo de Davao)
Jona Melendrez (CSA) - 5'1"
Danica Jose (Miriam) - 6'1"

other members:
Bea Daez (Assumption College)
Regina "Jeannie" Pioquinto (De La Salle Antipolo)
Marian Mejia (School of St Anthony)
Kit Nittoreda
Chesky Tantoco (Poveda)
Camille Claro (Angelicum)

so far, no fretzie oyao..... :(

nardy
09-22-2009, 07:50 PM

based on my sleuthing (i.e. googling, hehe), this might be some members of the line-up:

other members:
Kit Nittoreda
Chesky Tantoco (Poveda)

Oyao was born November 30, 1992 and only players born in 1993 are eligible for the 16-under team that is compete in the first FIBA-Asia championships for junior women on Oct. 21-29.

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs190.snc1/6376_1163339612113_1486546815_30424861_7139660_n.j pg
Here's Coach Patrick Aquino with Jonah Melendres, Trisha Piatos, Danica Jose and Tara Araneta

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/v226/299/1/n646165545_5539.jpg

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs161.snc1/6012_98313098049_739438049_2019602_247720_n.jpg

Jeon_Addict
09-23-2009, 12:25 AM
Hope they can improve in the coming years...
________
Yamaha ym3014b (http://www.yamaha-tech.com/wiki/Yamaha_YM3014B)

Butata
09-23-2009, 11:05 AM
the Philippines avoided a disastrous ending by recovering their bearing and beat Sri Lanka 70-55. Key were Arayi's 23 points and Tioseco's 11 rebounds.

I think another thing which we Filipinos should learn is to control our emotions after each game as an emotional loss usually affects our performance at the next game. I do not know how the other teams do it but we should learn to do so.

@sir nardy

I watched this game on the Indian channel on cable TV and Arayi is really heads and shoulder above the rest of her teammates as far as talent and physique. I admire Tioseco's 11 boards but she's too frail IMHO and was easily pushed because of her high center of gravity.

Also caught the Malaysia-Uzbekistan game and the Malaysians have at least two real good 3-point threats and they're closely resembling the way the East Asians hoist their perimeter shots (with a little kick for that added push). I hope we can hire a shooting coach (maybe Chinese or Korean) for the ladies since I believe this skill will leap-frog us out of Level 2 when we get consistent at it.

nardy
09-23-2009, 11:39 AM
@sir nardy

I watched this game on the Indian channel on cable TV and Arayi is really heads and shoulder above the rest of her teammates as far as talent and physique. I admire Tioseco's 11 boards but she's too frail IMHO and was easily pushed because of her high center of gravity.

Also caught the Malaysia-Uzbekistan game and the Malaysians have at least two real good 3-point threats and they're closely resembling the way the East Asians hoist their perimeter shots (with a little kick for that added push). I hope we can hire a shooting coach (maybe Chinese or Korean) for the ladies since I believe this skill will leap-frog us out of Level 2 when we get consistent at it.

The Malaysian Women also showed that having height disadvantage is not a hindrance to them. And I think our team is as tall or a bit bigger than our Southeast Asian neighbor. My observation on their players is that they are not awed nor are they intimidated even if the opposing team is much bigger. Unlike the Filipinas whose body language shows uneasiness before the start of their games against the Kazakhs and Lebanese.

Malaysian National Team 2009

http://www.asia-basket.com/Malaysia/Photos/ntw09.jpg

4 Beng Fong Goh 164-G-82
5 Yaakob Nur Izzati 163-89
6 Shin Min Yong 174-F-87
7 Siew Teng Ang 174-87
8 Chai Ling Thoh 172-C/F-82
9 Hui Pin Pang 176-90
10 Yann Yann Pee 174-F-85
11 Suik May Kew 172-F-82
12 Siew Lian Beh 177-C-82
14 Shook Ying Hee 180-C-85
15 Kalaimathi Rajintiran 185-90
Yoong Sze Yuin Head Coach
Seck Yun Choo Coach

Chennai Results of Malaysia:

9/22/2009 Uzbekistan 78-77
9/21/2009 Sri Lanka 81-45
9/19/2009 Kazakhstan 71-57
9/18/2009 Lebanon 84-69
9/17/2009 Philippines 55-61

nardy
09-23-2009, 12:03 PM
Lebanon would be playing at Level I at the 2011 FIBA-Asia Championship for Women after they demolished Thailand, this year's 5th place Level I team. The Final Score was 83-58. So dominant were the Lebanese that Chantelle Anderson had 24 points and 15 rebounds. He was ably supported by Chada Nasr with 23 pts, 9 assists, 4 rebounds and 3 steals, Nisrin Dandan 15 pts, Chirine El Charif with 8 pts and 13 rebounds; and Nayla Alameddine with 4 pts, 5 assists and 7 rebounds. Thailand only had Suksomwong 21 pts, Banmoo 13 pts 8 rebounds, Jantakan 13 pts 8 assists and Mathuros 8 pts 7 rebounds leading their fight. Lebanon made their break-aways in the 2nd and 4th quarters.

LIB/THA Lebanon rout Thailand, enter Level I
23/09/2009

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/daybyday/092309/tha-lib/_483x332/ADNA0429.jpg

CHENNAI (23rd FIBA Asia Women Championship) - Seasoned campaigner Nisrin Dandans solid second quarter display steered Lebanon towards a comfortable 83-58 win over Thailand.

The win achieved what Lebanon set out for a promotion to next editions elite Level I competition.

Thailand, on the other hand, will have to play the qualifying Level II in the edition for the first time after 1995.

Lebanon took their time to settle down, but grew in strength and confidence as the game progressed.

Dandan, the only member of the Lebanese womens team when they last played in the FIBA Asia Women Championship in 2001 in the Thai capital, sparked the Lebanese march.

The 32-year-old Antranik guard scored nine of her games 15 points in the second quarter and effected one steal as Lebanon found the missing link in their offense chain.

The girls had put themselves under tremendous pressure about this game and very nervous at the start. Nisrins presence and experience helped us calm the nerves, said Lebanon coach Elie Nasr.

The last time I was a part of the team things didnt really end happy. But this time around we had a great team. And if my contribution was to going to count, it had to be in this game, Dandan said.

Chada Nasr and Chantelle Anderson took over in the second half and Lebanons control on the proceedings and the scoreboard increased with every move.

American Anderson poured in 15 of her game-high 24 points and completed another double-double also grabbing 13 rebounds.

Chada Nasr who effected eight of her nine assists for the game in the first half stepped up her scoring and returned 23 points 16 of them in the second half.

This is what we came for, Chada Nasr said.

But this is only the beginning. We hope the interest for womens basketball in Lebanon grows, she added.

Its like this, said Elie Nasr.

The federation invested in this team and gave us an opportunity to play here. We are grateful for that, but more importantly we have given them enough reasons to invest more in Lebanese womens basketball, the coach added.

Charothai Sukomwong was the highest scorer for Thailand with 21 points.

FIBA Asia

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/team_photo/_original/tha_small.jpg

nardy
09-23-2009, 12:27 PM
Host India kept their place at the Level I for the next FIBA-Asia Championship for Women after they limited Malaysia and won 90-74. Tournament Top scorer Geethu Anna Jose was her normal self with 21 pts 11 rebounds 4 assists 2 blocks but it was team mate Harjeet Kaur 31 pts 16 rebounds who was unstoppable. They had help from Raspreet Sidhu 11 pts 6 rebounds, Anitha Pauldurai 9 pts 7 rebounds 7 assists and Prashanti Singh 9 pts 3 rebounds 3 assists. For Malaysia Beng Fong Goh 16 pts, Yann Yann Pee 15 pts 4 assists and Suik May Kew 14 pts 6 rebounds 4 assists led their team. Shin Ming Yong had 6 rebounds. India led 24-16 at the end of the 1st qtr. Malaysia rallied in the 2nd qtr but it's still India up at Halftime 44-42. India took control of the 3rd qtr with it ending at 69-60. Malaysia could not catch-up in the last quarter as the game ended at 90-74 India.

http://www.chennai2009.fibaasia.net/images/web/Events/09/FASCW/team_photo/_original/ind_small.jpg

nardy
09-23-2009, 05:32 PM
http://asia-basket.com/images/logow.gif

IND / LIB India remain in elite level; Lebanon earn promotion - Sep 23, 2009 (by Maarouf Mawloud)

CHENNAI (23rd FIBA Asia Women Championship): India and Lebanon scored dominating victories in the Level I play-offs on Wednesday.

India gave their tallest player Harjeet Kaur the longest game-time in the Championship and defeated Malaysia 90-74 to retain their place in Level I.

Seasoned campaigner Nisrin Nisrin Dandan (172-G-77)s solid second quarter display had earlier steered Lebanon towards a comfortable 83-58 win over Thailand, and the promotion to play in Level I in the next edition.

Malaysia, who were relegated to Level II after losing to India in the play-off in the last edition, will have to wait for another two years to take a shot regaining their position in Level I.

And Thailand will play the Level II for the first time after 1995.

Lebanon took their time to settle down, but grew in strength and confidence as the game progressed.

Nisrin Dandan, the only member of the Lebanese womens team when they last played in the FIBA Asia Women Championship in 2001 in the Thai capital, sparked the Lebanese march.

The 32-year-old Antranik guard scored nine of her games 15 points in the second quarter and effected one steal as Lebanon found the missing link in their offense chain.

The girls had put themselves under tremendous pressure about this game and very nervous at the start. Nisrins presence and experience helped us calm the nerves, said Lebanon coach Elie Nasr.

The last time I was a part of the team things didnt really end happy. But this time around we had a great team. And if my contribution was to going to count, it had to be in this game, Nisrin Dandan said.

Nasr Chada (83) and Chantelle Anderson (199-C-81, college: Vanderbilt) took over in the second half and Lebanons control on the proceedings and the scoreboard increased with every move.

American Anderson poured in 15 of her game-high 24 points and completed another double-double also grabbing 13 rebounds.

Nasr Chada who effected eight of her nine assists for the game in the first half stepped up her scoring and returned 23 points 16 of them in the second half.

This is what we came for, Nasr Chada said.

But this is only the beginning. We hope the interest for womens basketball in Lebanon grows, she added.

Its like this, said Elie Nasr.

The federation invested in this team and gave us an opportunity to play here. We are grateful for that, but more importantly we have given them enough reasons to invest more in Lebanese womens basketball, the coach added.

Charothai Sukomwong was the highest scorer for Thailand with 21 points.

India owed their success to a change in their game-plan coming to age of Harjeet Kaur.

Harjeet had averaged 13 minutes per game in Indias five previous outings, but fielded her for 30:51 today.

And the 190-cm forward justified the faith reposed in her by returning a game-high 31 points, much higher than the 2.8PPG she carried into the game.

The 21-year-old also collected 16 rebounds another game-high again much higher than the 3RPG she had earlier.

Geethu Anna Joses 21 points and 11 rebounds thus found some unprecedented support.

It was a part of our game plan to use our height advantage, said India coach JP Singh about using Harjeet for the long period of time.

Our coach told us this morning we have one bullet left. We can either use it well or die in the battle. Just that things worked well for us, said Harjeet.

I think motivation was the key factor for us today, said JP Singh.

True we had lost all the games in Level I, but if we had lost today, we would have had to wait for another four years to play in the top level. And I think all the girls were aware of that, he added.

Malaysia were caught by surprise by Harjeets extended presence on the court, but more importantly their three-pointer percentage suffered.

We didnt expect Harjeet to play that long at all. We had made our plans for Geethu and Kiranjeet Kaur. But this was a surprise, Malaysia coach Tan See Wah said.

In a way we have helped India realize Harjeets potential, he chuckled.

Goh Beng Fong was the highest scorer for Malaysia with 15 points and Pee Yann Yann contributed 14.

S Mageshwaran
FIBA Asia

Day 5 Level 2 Round-Up - Malaysia, Lebanon make play-off - Sep 22, 2009 (by Maarouf Mawloud)

CHENNAI (23rd FIBA Asia Women Championship) - Malaysia and Lebanon booked their place in the Level I play-off with eye-catching, albeit for different reasons, wins to round off their Level II campaigns on Tuesday.

Malaysia played an incredible final five minutes outscoring Uzbekistan 24-7 and eked out a 78-77 win.

Lebanon also defeated a Middle Asian nation team but dominated Kazakhstan throughout before winning 83-58.

Philippines completed the Middle Asian rout beating Sri Lanka 70-55.

Malaysia, now will take on the sixth placed team from Level I in all probability India, a team they lost to in the play-off in the last edition.

We have our plans ready, Malaysia coach Tan See Wah said.

Obviously it will revolve around stopping Geethu (Anna Jose) and we are ready to play her, he added.

The girls have showed a lot of spirit in winning a couple of very good games, including today. Now we need to continue that for one more game, he said.

Against Uzbekistan, down 54-70 midway through the fourth quarter, Kew Suik-may fired in a three-pointer to kick start Malaysias resurgence.

The 26-year-old went on to score four more points during the rest of the game and topped the scoring for Malaysia with 18 points.

Yong Shin-min scored 13 for the game six of them in the final five minutes and Goh Beng Fong scored all her seven during this time.

Pee Yann Yann had five of 11 as Uzbekistan were left gasping.

Irinina Polunina topped the game in scoring with 19 points, but none in the dying moments and only two in free-throws at that of Yelena Khusnitdinovas 18 came in the closing moments.

Uzbekistan, thus finished 1-4 and took the fifth place.

American Chantelle Anderson, naturalized recently, led the Lebanese barrage against Kazakhstan.

The former WNBA player scored 10 points and grabbed six rebounds in the opening quarter as the Elie Nasr maintained a firm control of the proceedings right from the word go never to give it up.

Anderson went on to return a double-double of 23 points and 13 rebounds both game-highs.

Chirine El Charif (185-F-84) grabbed a dozen rebounds and points each

Chada Nasr was as crafty as ever in making the plays and scoring as well.

The Antranik star had a game-high five assists to go with her five rebounds and 13 points.

Sandra Najem too had 13 points.

The team is coming along very well, said Elie Nasr.

We have definitely improved from the first game. But I think we are beginning to play the way we should. The last two games especially have been very satisfying, he added.

Nataliya Kuzmicheva continued her good work for Kazakhstan and led their scoring with 15 points.

Nadezhda Kondrakova contributed 14 points.

Kazakhstan finished third in Level II.

Merenciana Arayis game-high 23 points and Cassandra Tiescos 11 rebounds were the significant factors in the Filipino victory.

Philippines thus finished fourth.

Sri Lanka who had finished 12th in the Incheon edition of the Championship two years ago remained in that position.

Premila Beruwalage and Inoka Juwan Pedige led the scoring for Sri Lanka with 12 points each.

S Mageshwaran
FIBA Asia

patay-butiki
10-03-2009, 09:32 AM

other members:
Kit Nittoreda
Chesky Tantoco (Poveda)

so i assume this didn't push through:

so does that mean that we go straight to

i gathered it's gonna be held in Balewadi, India.

this is less than 3 weeks to go. i hope coach patrick aquino and the girls are ready. good luck to the philippine girls U16 NT!

Art Garcia
10-12-2009, 09:27 AM
I just saw the UST Lady Tigers play in the Shakey's V (Volleyball) League on TV.

The team has a rookie player named Santiago. She is 16 years old and her height is 6' 2". She's mobile for her height.

patay-butiki
10-19-2009, 04:00 PM
so i assume this didn't push through:

so does that mean that we go straight to

i gathered it's gonna be held in Balewadi, India.

this is less than 3 weeks to go. i hope coach patrick aquino and the girls are ready. good luck to the philippine girls U16 NT!

anybody here knows if fiba asia u-16 girls will push thru? or atleast our participation? this starts on wednesday and there seems to be no news about it. :confused:

nardy
10-19-2009, 04:48 PM
anybody here knows if fiba asia u-16 girls will push thru? or atleast our participation? this starts on wednesday and there seems to be no news about it. :confused:

from what I know Patrick Aquino is supposed to be the coach of this team. From what I earlier knew the tournament is supposed to be staged at Colombo, Sri Lanka this year but it seemed to have been moved:

http://www.fibaasia.net/cms/index.php?itemid=600 (http://www.fibaasia.net/cms/index.php?itemid=600)

http://www.fiba.com/images/v3_layo/eng/gene/_original/fibaLogo.jpg

http://www.fibaasia.net/cms/media/5/20090629-fiba%20asia%20web%203.jpg
12/10/2009
IND Twelve in fray for inaugural FIBA Asia U16 Championship for Women

PUNE (FIBA Asia U16 Championship for Women) Twelve teams drawn into two groups of six teams each will match wits in the inaugural FIBA Asia U16 Championship for Women to be played in this historic city near India's financial capital Mumbai from Nov 30-Dec 6, 2009. The draw for the Championship was conducted on Monday, along side the draw for the FIBA Asia U16 Championship (for Men) at Malaysian city Johor Bahru, which will host the men's event.

"Since this was the inaugural Championship, we decided to conduct a draw for the preliminary round," explained FIBA Asia Secretary General Dato' Yeoh Choo Hock.

"From the next Championship, we will consider dividing the teams will be divided into Level I and II like how we do for the other women's events," he added.

The top two teams from the Championship will represent FIBA Asia in the inaugural FIBA U17 World Championship for Women to be played in France from July 16-25, 2010.

Ten of the teams figuring in the FIBA Asia U16 Championship for Women played in the recently concluded 23rd FIBA Asia Women Championship.

Singapore and Hong Kong replace Lebanon and Uzbekistan from the fray that played at Chennai, but neither of them are new comers to FIBA Asia competitions especially among women.

Hosts India have been drawn in Group A, which also features China and Chinese Taipei. Both Singapore and Hong Kong have been drawn in Group A with Philippines completing the challenge.

Korea and Japan head the competition in Group B with challenge coming from Malaysia, Sri Lanka, Thailand and Kazakhstan.

The top two teams from each group will qualify for the semifinals. The winners of the semifinals will play for the gold medal and the losers for the bronze.

The teams playing the gold medal game would have already qualified for the 2010 FIBA U17 World Championship for Women.

Groupings for Preliminary Round:

Group A: China, Chinese Taipei, Hong Kong, India, Philippines, Singapore
Group B: Japan, Kazakhstan, Korea, Malaysia, Thailand, Sri Lanka.

S Mageshwaran
FIBA Asia

than11
10-19-2009, 07:52 PM
Sir Nardy, is there a continous program for the women's elite team?
Are they still in practice? I just got curious because Machiko told me she is attending the practices every once in a while so it got me to thinking that maybe they are still in continous training even though they are not looking forward to competing in the near-future as there's no basketball in the SEA Games..

And about Machiko, she refuses to answer if she would make a comeback..:D:D:D But she's attending some of the practices..atleast, that's what she told me..

nardy
10-20-2009, 12:03 AM
Sir Nardy, is there a continous program for the women's elite team?
Are they still in practice? I just got curious because Machiko told me she is attending the practices every once in a while so it got me to thinking that maybe they are still in continous training even though they are not looking forward to competing in the near-future as there's no basketball in the SEA Games..

And about Machiko, she refuses to answer if she would make a comeback..:D:D:D But she's attending some of the practices..atleast, that's what she told me..

Am not really sure but probably the team which became close to each other decided it is wiser to train together even if there is no immediate international tournament to compete in plus maybe Machiko is just trying to get back to shape coz didn't she gone to Japan for awhile. The Women's National Team just competed in the FIBA-Asia so aside from the school teams they are a team which Machiko could practice with. From what I know the WPBL is soon to open, so maybe Machiko is preparing to join that league.

than11
10-20-2009, 03:27 PM
Thanks Sir..Good luck to the youth team..:)

ankle breaker
10-20-2009, 04:48 PM
kinda off topic but i guess there is a need for SBP to help map a plan for the women's basketball too. thailand and malaysia are slowly carving out names in this region. even in volleyball where it used to be china, korea and japan. now thailand is the new asian champion dethroning china. if we are able to set up smart gilas for the men's basketball, maybe we can put up as well same program for the women's.

Smart Gilas Tissue Paper
10-21-2009, 04:05 AM
May Youth team din for the girls ?

b3lowzro
10-21-2009, 09:26 AM
May Youth team din for the girls ?

yep and read it about in the previous posts here in this thread and please speak in english

patay-butiki
11-20-2009, 11:08 PM
i hope coach pato DOES have strategy and plans, unlike the indian coach. :p

i also hope our U16 girls do well, like our U16 boys so far (crossing my fingers, hehe).

http://www.punemirror.in/index.aspx?page=article&sectid=7&contentid=20091121200911210113406711d55b35e&sectxslt=

http://www.punemirror.in/images/pmlogo.gif

http://cms.mumbaimirror.com/portalfiles/29/7/200911/Image/21-11-09/Trithesh-Guha.jpg

Blind Plan

Indian basketball coach Trithesh Guha feels performance on the day will be more important than strategy

By Salil Kulkarni
Posted On Saturday, November 21, 2009 at 01:13:41 AM

Trithesh Guha interacts with the players during a practice session Pune: It sounds a bit strange and also surprising that the Indian basketball coach Trithesh Guha has no strategy and plans for the forthcoming FIBA Asian Basketball u-16 Girls Championship.

The reason given by the coach is that it is the first tournament of its kind in Asia, where performance on a particular day will work out rather than a strategy or a plan.

The twelve-nation tournament which begins from November 30 at Sports Complex , will be the first international basketball tournament to be held in the city.

The Indian team along with the coach arrived in the city on Friday and started their training at the Table Tennis hall venue for the championship.

The team went through a stretching session under the guidance of Trithesh Guha, who took some time out and spoke to Pune Mirror on the teams preparation and the teams chances in the event.

Excerpts
How the preparation has been so far ?
I have been with the team for the last two months and the camp at Bolpur (West Bengal) was the only and ideal way to prepare for the event.

You said only;, whats the reason ?
In the 14-member team only two players have international expo-sure. Rest of the players have only played national events. Few matches against international teams during the camp would have made a lot of difference. During the camp we played against a lot of practice matches against Bolpur district teams and I am happy to say that we lost just one match. We even defeated the West Bengal junior mens team.

Which country start as favourites ?
Hard to say, in the age group level tournaments. Its anybody game. Going by the records China and Japan. They are top two womens team at the international level.

Have you designed any strategy or a plan for the event ?
No strategy and no plan. We have not even decided our formation and still are working on it.

No strategy, no plan ?
You can design a strategy only if you have some idea or know your opponents. There is no information available about any team. This event will be on how you play on a particular day and for a change strategy will take a backseat.

Any players to watch out for ?
All 14 are good. All the players are equal for me I will not take any names.

Any goals set for the championship ?
Too early to say anything. But we are aiming to finish in the top-4. The team will surely all the teams a tough fight. You will see this team not giving up easily.

thadzonline
11-21-2009, 03:01 AM
i hope coach pato DOES have strategy and plans, unlike the indian coach. :p

i also hope our U16 girls do well, like our U16 boys so far (crossing my fingers, hehe).

http://www.punemirror.in/index.aspx?page=article&sectid=7&contentid=20091121200911210113406711d55b35e&sectxslt=

http://www.punemirror.in/images/pmlogo.gif

http://cms.mumbaimirror.com/portalfiles/29/7/200911/Image/21-11-09/Trithesh-Guha.jpg

wow, what confidence to land in the top 4 without any gameplan other than take it by the second

D_I_A
11-21-2009, 06:24 AM
i think the women's team and women's youth team are lagging behind in SBP's National Basketball Program..

thadzonline
11-21-2009, 03:30 PM
There's Gabby Alveros and Kay Tangonan at Pacific Union College in the NAIA, and a lot of other Fil-ams this team can tap

nardy
11-21-2009, 04:32 PM
Problem is that our senior players cannot really devote full time as they need to make a living. Corporate Sponsors are not willing to give salaries to the players and are only ok to give allowances which are quite small.

Hopefully in due time the Commercial Women's Leagues would get enough support from the public.

Also the school leagues are getting better. Hope to get a PCCL type of tournament but again, the problem is sponsorship. At this time of recession and with election next year, money is not easy to get.

c_d
01-12-2010, 03:12 PM
Is this an SBP or BAP-affiliated league? I'm quite confused because its supported by Pichay but there's an RP team involved in the tournament.

PWBL primer set on Thursday (http://mb.com.ph/articles/238153/pwbl-primer-set-thursday)

January 12, 2010, 3:58pm

The Philippine Womens Basketball League dubbed as Burlington-Biofresh Cup fires off on Sunday with eight teams at the Metro gym in Mandaluyong.

The participating teams are Northern Samar-backed Adamson, Cebuana Lhuillier-Far Eastern University, University of Santo Tomas-Global Graphics, Philippine Maritime Institute (PMI), Lyceum-Jaguars, Army of Col. Buenaventura Pascual, RP team- I-Remit, and Pascual-Lagundi.

The primer of the event supported by LWUA Chair Butch Pichay and Gov. Jun Jun Ynares of Rizal will be aired tomorrow at 10:30 p.m. on Basketball TV.

Also backing the tournament organized and managed by PWBL under Commissioner Nilo Fernandez are Burlington Phils., BioFresh, Wilson, Everlast, Foton, Moldex, Atlanta, Nation, GSIS, PAGCOR, PCSO, Province of Northern Samar, Asics shoes, and Molten.

The Lady Tamaraws start their title bid against Army at 1 p.m. while the Lady Falcons, the reigning UAAP champions collide with I-Remit at 2:30 p.m. Clashing at 4 p.m. are UST and Lyceum-Jaguars while Pascual-Lagundi tangles with PMI at 5:30 p.m.

Succeeding games will be played at Ynares Sports Arena in Pasig City every weekend. Interested parties can visit their website at www.pwbl.com.ph.

nardy
01-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Is this an SBP or BAP-affiliated league? I'm quite confused because its supported by Pichay but there's an RP team involved in the tournament.

who are the said players? the official National Women's team that is under the SBP is the one supported by Discovery Suites.

http://www.asia-basket.com/Philippines/Photos/ntw09.jpg

4 Sylvia Valencia (http://www.asia-basket.com/player.asp?Cntry=PHI&PlayerID=171496) 79 Discovery Suites - RP Team http://www.eurobasket.com/images/Iconsflags/Philippines.gif 5 Joan Grajales (http://www.asia-basket.com/player.asp?Cntry=PHI&PlayerID=134684) 162-G-79 Discovery Suites - RP Team http://www.eurobasket.com/images/Iconsflags/Philippines.gif 6 Chovi Borja (http://www.asia-basket.com/player.asp?Cntry=PHI&PlayerID=134688) 85 Oracle - FEU http://www.eurobasket.com/images/Iconsflags/Philippines.gif 7 Merenciana Arayi (http://www.asia-basket.com/player.asp?Cntry=PHI&PlayerID=134683) 85 Discovery Suites - RP Team http://www.eurobasket.com/images/Iconsflags/Philippines.gif 8 Cherrylyn Lubiano (http://www.asia-basket.com/player.asp?Cntry=PHI&PlayerID=183773) 77 9 Fatima Tolentino (http://www.asia-basket.com/player.asp?Cntry=PHI&PlayerID=171600) C-87 Smart Buddy - UP http://www.eurobasket.com/images/Iconsflags/Philippines.gif 10 Bernadette Mercado (http://www.asia-basket.com/player.asp?Cntry=PHI&PlayerID=171497) 86 Discovery Suites - RP Team http://www.eurobasket.com/images/Iconsflags/Philippines.gif 12 Diana Jose (http://www.asia-basket.com/player.asp?Cntry=PHI&PlayerID=134690) 173-F-85 Discovery Suites - RP Team http://www.eurobasket.com/images/Iconsflags/Philippines.gif 13 Cassandra Tioseco (http://www.asia-basket.com/player.asp?Cntry=PHI&PlayerID=134694) 180-C-87 Nutri-C - ADMU http://www.eurobasket.com/images/Iconsflags/Philippines.gif 15 Jessamine De los Reyes (http://www.asia-basket.com/player.asp?Cntry=PHI&PlayerID=171556) 87 Nutri-C - ADMU

c_d
01-12-2010, 03:34 PM
who are the said players? the official National Women's team that is under the SBP is the one supported by Discovery Suites.

Here's a photo that I saw on their website. If I'm not mistaken, that's Danica Jose standing next to Pichay.

http://www.pwbl.com.ph/images/PWBL%20BANNER%20PHOTO%20FOR%20WEB-1.jpg

nardy
01-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Are you guys saying that the women's team had switched allegiance to the BAP.

c_d
01-12-2010, 03:42 PM
Here's a similar post by patay-butiki (http://forums.interbasket.net/f32/bap-is-finally-gone-7032/p35.html#post348689) in the BAP is finally gone thread:

why are uaap, ncaa and even careline pilipinas women's youth NT joining pichay-sponsored/backed tournaments?

http://www.pwbl.com.ph/

http://www.pwbl.com.ph/images/PWBL%20BANNER%20PHOTO%20FOR%20WEB-1.jpg
that's careline pilipinas' danica jose beside cong. pichay.

http://www.pwbl.com.ph/images/PWBL%20PHOTO%20LAUNCHING3%20.jpg
PWBL Chairman Cong.Butch Pichay and Comm. Nilo C. Fernandez with the top coaches in the launching of the MBT-WBL Elite Division (L-R) Pabs Losinada-PMI, Coach Elizabeth Tan, Mike Fermin-CSB, Johnny Cutaran-AMA, Dionosio Maloto-UPHSL, Gene Tumapat-PCCR, Benjie Navarro-NU, Lt. Dennis Martinez- ARMY, Allan Albano- FEU, Julie Amos-UST/Careline Pilipinas, Tyrone Bautista- DLSU, Tina Columna-RTU, Piao Fedillaga-Pharex/Atleta and Patrick Aquino- Ever Bilena. The league is the predecessor of the now PWBL.

http://www.pwbl.com.ph/images/ADAMSON1.jpg
Adamson U of Coach Emelia Vega captured the 2009 MBT WBL Elite League after edging Pharex 63 - 58 in the finals at the Ynares Sports Arena. Analyn Almazan was named league MVP. With the win, Chairman Pichay rewarded them with a committment to support AdU in the women's UAAP.

thadzonline
01-12-2010, 04:31 PM
Are you guys saying that the women's team had switched allegiance to the BAP.

As I have mentioned before, joining a BAP-sponsored tournament does not automatically mean outright support for BAP. What it exposes is the lack of competition in those areas they are now claiming to serve. The ill thing about it though, is that there might be the expectation of support as a form of utang na loob

D_I_A
01-12-2010, 06:56 PM
As I have mentioned before, joining a BAP-sponsored tournament does not automatically mean outright support for BAP. What it exposes is the lack of competition in those areas they are now claiming to serve. The ill thing about it though, is that there might be the expectation of support as a form of utang na loob

this should be look into seriously by SBP, Our women's national team and/or youth team joining a league run by BAP personalities? hope the SBP could really organize an NBTC-like tournment for the girls division and a commercial league for the women's sector.