PDA

View Full Version : FIBA-Asia Championship Coaches

ctongco
07-07-2007, 12:23 AM
I thought it would be a good idea to talk about the coaches of Asian National Teams for FIBA-Asia Championship. Let's discuss the coaching styles, strenghts, and other attributes of the different coaches.

good day!

karim
07-07-2007, 12:31 AM
draggan racca,s strategy : lebanon,s new coach has a new strategy called playing khatib and vogel 38 to 40 minutes a game depending on the score....if theres a 16pt lead for lebanon with 2 minutes left in the game like with lebanon-kazakhaztan/iran than the coach can manage to give them the last 2 minutes off but the main strategy is to play them until their faces turn blue and cant breathe or walk anymore....im sure its the same strategy for brian wen he arrives....the last 2 spots on the court are available for substitution though :p .....

ctongco
07-07-2007, 12:37 AM
draggan racca,s strategy : lebanon,s new coach has a new strategy called playing khatib and vogel 38 to 40 minutes a game depending on the score....if theres a 16pt lead for lebanon with 2 minutes left in the game like with lebanon-kazakhaztan/iran than the coach can manage to give them the last 2 minutes off but the main strategy is to play them until their faces turn blue and cant breathe or walk anymore....im sure its the same strategy for brian wen he arrives....the last 2 spots on the court are available for substitution though :p .....

In contrast, Chot Reyes wants to have fresh guys always. He shuffles his players constantly so that he has fresh players all the time.

reamily
07-07-2007, 01:44 AM
Karim what makes Lebanon better than iran and jordan

karim
07-07-2007, 02:44 AM
hmmmmm.......look lebanon has always beaten iran and jordan...and the country has been in the WBC twice....but if u wanna speak this year........Lebanon and Jordan are very similar.....their teams are combined of talented locals,players from the outside and a good naturalized player.....but the main difference now is fadi el khatib....this guy can score 30+ every night even if he was double teamed....and hes not like rasheem cuz rasheem cant score more than 15 a game if u double team and does alot of turnovers...fadi has a bigger body than rasheem and has better range on his shooting especially in free throws where fadi shoots aound 85%,rasheem shoots around 55% this is a main point cuz these 2 players will get to the free throw line alot.....another point is that jordan have no true center where zaid el khas is only 205 and plays as center and is not athletic at all...atleast vogel is 210 and can jump a little and has long arms + lebanon is deeper ...in jordan u have rasheem,sam,zaid and ayman these are the good players they have this guy called enver who they use as a 3pt spot shooter but his shooting percentage the last 2 years has been really down....lebanon has fadi,vogel,brian,roy,fahd and ali mahmoud so just a bit deeper........Abt iran they have tall player but thats abt it no talent what so ever...their wings only shoot threes i,ve never seen them slash into the lane....they rely on that along with some agressive defense...lebanon beat their full roster day 1 of the jones cup even though we had no vogel or brian.....theres a game in 20 min between jordan and leb i expect a close game but jordan winning in the end cuz vogel played 39 min last game i dt expect him to play this game and brian will be arriving today so he also wont play this game + the chemistry of the team is still new , the players are now adapting to the coach,s system but all these problems will l be fixed im sure come the asian championship but i expect a big game from fadi today if he plays his usual 40 min cuz last game he played only 18 min and scored no pts so i expect around 25-30 2day........

watiwawa
07-07-2007, 05:26 AM
hey karim.. pls include RP in the comparison..

lebanon
iran
jordan
philippines

saints13
07-07-2007, 05:41 AM
I thought this thread was about coacheS :D

we're drifting off already to comparing NT's :D

apiSigbinz
07-07-2007, 06:47 AM
Palma is a very good coach i think... knows how to utilize time to give instructions to his players... his stance and the way he point instructions is similar to Ron Jacobs... and also he's very active and hyper! but i think there's still one thing that he lacks, the art of hiding players! just proves that he doesn't know Asian coaching especially Korea and Japan! :D

karim
07-07-2007, 12:33 PM
from this tournament i see that RP and Lebanon are better than Jordan cuz we lost against them by 4 and we,re missing players...lebanon beshara and RP seigle......JOrdan,s coach has been coaching them for 1year+ where our coach is with us for 2 weeks and RP,s coach not longer.....and with all that lebanon were up by 7 entering the 4th quarter until khatib decide to sit on the bench the rest of the game....where jordan was so eager to beat us this time.....we beat them once in 1999,once in 2001 4 times in 2005 in less than month(WABA,Abdullah twice and ABC2005)so its kind of like their 1st win agianst us even though it was just a friendly game.......and Iran is weaker than Jordan.....in group A i dont know anything about China but between the 3 other teams they are ranked RP,jordan and than iran......

saints13
07-07-2007, 12:38 PM
Palma is a very good coach i think... knows how to utilize time to give instructions to his players... his stance and the way he point instructions is similar to Ron Jacobs... and also he's very active and hyper! but i think there's still one thing that he lacks, the art of hiding players! just proves that he doesn't know Asian coaching especially Korea and Japan! :D

Maybe Jordan doesn't have a bench that deep..he's just utilizing all the resources he has. :)

I remember Coach Chot's philosophy when he was talking about his team Coca Cola Tigers wherein they don't have that much strong players to back his first 5 but they still manage to win a Championship..it's not wanting what you don't have in the team..it's maximizing the resources you have.. :) (those may not be the exact words but his principles were there) somethin like that.. :D and that's what Coach Mario Palma is doing.

Projectspeed
07-07-2007, 12:44 PM
Jordan NT Head Coach - Mario Palma

Head Coach:
1991-1997: Benfica
1997-1998: Estrelas
1998-1999: Estrelas, left team in Nov.'98 and moved to Primeiro de Agosto (ANG)
2001-2002: Desportivo 1. De Agosto Luanda (ANG)
2002-2003: Desportivo 1. De Agosto Luanda (ANG)
2003-2004: Desportivo 1. De Agosto Luanda (ANG)
2005: Desportivo 1. De Agosto Luanda (ANG)
2005-2006: Palma Aqua Magica (ESP-LEB), hired in Feb.'06, resigned next month
2006-2007: Fastlink (JOR-Excellent League), left in Jan.'07
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Awards/Achievements:
Portuguese League Champion -91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 98
Portuguese Cup Winner -91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 98
Head Coach: Angolan National Team -99-05
Olympic Games -00(Sydney), 04(Athens)
African Championships -99(Winner), 01(Winner), 03(Winner), 05 (Winner)
Angolan League Champion -02, 03, 04, 05
World Championships in Indianapolis (USA) -02
Luanda Region Finalist -04
Angolan Cup Finalist -04
Angolan League Regular Season Champion -03, 04
Angolan Super Cup Winner -04,05
Angolan Cup Winner -05
Africabasket.com AllAfrican Championships Best Coach -05
African Club Championships -05 (3rd Place)
Head Coach: Jordan National Team -06
Asian Games in Doha -06 (Semifinals)

:D

Projectspeed
07-07-2007, 12:47 PM
Lebanon NT Head Coach - Dragan Raca

Head Coach:
2002-2003: AEL Limassol (CYP)
2003-2004: AEL Limassol (CYP-A1)
2004-2005: AEL Limassol (CYP-A1), left in May'05
2005: In July signed a two-year contract with Iraklis Thessaloniki (GRE-A1)
2005-2006: Iraklis Thessaloniki (GRE-A1), in Dec.'05 moved to Sagesse - Al Hekmeh Beirut (LEB-Div.A)
2006-2007: Deltalcon APOEL Nicosia (CYP-Division A)
2007:Lebanon NT
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Awards/Achievements:
FIBA Regional Challenge South winner -03
Cyprus Cup Final Four -03
Cyprus League Champion -03, 04, 05
Eurobasket.com All-Cyprus League Coach of the Year -03, 04, 05
Cyprus Cup Winner - 04
FIBA Europe League All-Star Game -04
Cyprus League Regular Season Runner-Up -04, 07
Eurobasket All-FIBA EuropeLeague Coach of the Year -04
Head Coach: Cyprus National Team -04-05
Coach Assistant: FIBA Europe League All-Star Game -05
Cyprus League Regular Season Champion -05
Lebanese Cup Finalist -06
Head Coach: Lebanese National team -07
Cyprus League Finalist -07

:D

aklanarcher
07-07-2007, 12:49 PM
Coach Chot Reyes has a secret weapon. Who? Assistant Coach Binky Favis.... The best coach in the Philippine Basketball Association. Just kidding. Seriously, he is a better scout than a coach. :D

Projectspeed
07-07-2007, 12:57 PM
With all due respect to other NT coaches:D, I think, IMHO, Jordan National Team has the best coaching staff coming FIBA-Asia:D

Aside from multi-titled coach Mario Palma:D Jordan NT also has multi-titled assistant coaches and scouts:D Mario Gomes of Portugal and Zoran Dokic of Serbia:D

Their vast international experience can't be taken for granted:D

saints13
07-07-2007, 01:00 PM
Coach Chot Reyes has a secret weapon. Who? Assistant Coach Binky Favis.... The best coach in the Philippine Basketball Association. Just kidding. Seriously, he is a better scout than a coach. :D

I agree :D

Projectspeed
07-07-2007, 01:16 PM

Binky Favis, as well as Jong Uichico, before going to Jones Cup said that RP have the better chances of qualifying to Olympics... they first never thought that west Asia and middle eastern countries like Iran and Jordan already improve alot:D

but upon joining Reyes and Company in Taiwan for the Jones Cup, they just simply said that our chances in the Olympics became doubtfull after they have seen the said countries play:D

Projectspeed
07-07-2007, 02:09 PM

well,:D in defense of multi-titled Jordan NT coach:D I think, in Palma's mind... hiding those players will just have negative impact on the progress of the Jordan NT:D

Their no. 1 player, Rashiem Wright just join the team last May. Their No.1 point guard Daghlas, on the other hand just join the team this Jones Cup:D

Palma, I think wants his top players to be familiar with each other coming FIBA-Asia:D

What Palma's hiding is his secret offense and defense plays:D

saints13
07-07-2007, 02:11 PM
well,:D in defense of multi-titled Jordan NT coach:D I think, in Palma's mind... hiding those players will just have negative impact on the progress of the Jordan NT:D

Their no. 1 player, Rashiem Wright just join the team last May. Their No.1 point guard Daghlas, on the other hand just join the team this Jones Cup:D

Palma, I think wants top players to be familiar with each other:D

maybe your correct.. and he doesnt have any choice but to use them :D

compared to the RP NT wherein there are a lot of surplus of players to be used..15 man-strong..but that will be the backdraw for RP NT because the final 12 is yet to come and it will only be weeks before they familiarize each other..I hope they'll get cohesion during the Manila Invitational Tournament :D

apiSigbinz
07-13-2007, 01:38 PM

Palma, I think wants his top players to be familiar with each other coming FIBA-Asia:D

What Palma's hiding is his secret offense and defense plays:D

Could be true... but the way he handles Jordan team in Jones Cup, he really get in to it, i think he really wanted to win. I don't know correct me if i'm wrong but i think it's only here in Asia that coaches loves to hide players especially Korea and Japan. They have Euro League so i guess they can't hide their players anyway.

saints13
07-13-2007, 02:18 PM
Could be true... but the way he handles Jordan team in Jones Cup, he really get in to it, i think he really wanted to win. I don't know correct me if i'm wrong but i think it's only here in Asia that coaches loves to hide players especially Korea and Japan. They have Euro League so i guess they can't hide their players anyway.

Jordan has nothing to hide.

basically they lack good players that's why they needed to naturalize a scorer.

if RP NT only had twelve good players, we have nothing to hide also.

but the good thing is, 12 is not enough in our training pool.

apiSigbinz
07-14-2007, 01:58 AM
Jordan has nothing to hide.

basically they lack good players that's why they needed to naturalize a scorer.

if RP NT only had twelve good players, we have nothing to hide also.

but the good thing is, 12 is not enough in our training pool.

why is it that you are always comparing Jordan to our RP?.. huh! did i say RP? its clear that i stated Korea and Japan! my gully! grrrrrr.... :mad:
hehehehehehe :D

saints13
07-14-2007, 01:23 PM
I'm just setting RP NT as an example.

the logic about what I said is that, if Jordan had a training pool like ours, which is so deep and undecided, maybe Coach Palma could have the luxury of hiding some players too. I do believe Jordan has set a Team A and Team B already, so nothing to hide as of now, we've seen their full deck of cards and that's it. :D

apiSigbinz
07-14-2007, 02:44 PM
you should have not given RPNT as an ex. in the first place... fact is, Coach Palma is not that type, even if he has many good players, he will still play them as is, unlike Korea and Japan where they are willing to be humiliated in minor tourney to get the upperhand in other more meaningful and major tournaments...

i also believe that Coach Chot is resting Danny Seigle more than hiding him... remember, Danny didn't play a couple of games in Belgrade becoz of his injury... you wouldn't think Chot hide him there, do you?! and besides, why hide him now when they already seen him in the Champions Cup in Tehran?!

saints13
07-14-2007, 04:43 PM
you should have not given RPNT as an ex. in the first place... fact is, Coach Palma is not that type, even if he has many good players, he will still play them as is, unlike Korea and Japan where they are willing to be humiliated in minor tourney to get the upperhand in other more meaningful and major tournaments...

i also believe that Coach Chot is resting Danny Seigle more than hiding him... remember, Danny didn't play a couple of games in Belgrade becoz of his injury... you wouldn't think Chot hide him there, do you?! and besides, why hide him now when they already seen him in the Champions Cup in Tehran?!

What I was saying is, objectively, Jordan NT has a shallow basketball program to begin with, that's why they naturalized an American to be the scorer of the team. basketball talents are scarce in their country, and that's what I meant, and that's my point. I have nothing to do with Coach Palma's strategy or what, the fact that any coach who is in that position has nothing to hide.

I know he's injured but he has recovered already and he's a shoo-in, and the Champions Cup in Iran was a humiliating stage for the RP NT...nobody considered them as a threat or whatsoever...everybody has seen the RP NT improved as far as the Jones Cup is concerned..but they even us, never saw how Danny Seigle has improved.isl that a hidden player? yes he is. not everybody in Asia saw what happened in Iran, those were club teams, and most of them were Mid-East and Middle Asian teams.

thugpinoy
07-14-2007, 07:18 PM
if there is somebody whom chot reyes is hiding, he would be ren ren ritualo.
ren ren ritualo is capable of hitting 4 straight trey's in a span of 10 possesions. already proved that during college and semi-pro league and in the pba, taking the game by his lonesome.
maybe the 6th man or a reliever for jimmy alapag.
as far as coaching for chot reyes, a pretty respectable resume` under his name in terms of international basketball. former coaching staff / scout of the previous RP NT under coach tim cone and jong uichico.
________
Yamaha xv920r (http://www.yamaha-tech.com/wiki/Yamaha_XV920R)

apiSigbinz
07-15-2007, 06:05 AM
What I was saying is, objectively, Jordan NT has a shallow basketball program to begin with, that's why they naturalized an American to be the scorer of the team. basketball talents are scarce in their country, and that's what I meant, and that's my point. I have nothing to do with Coach Palma's strategy or what, the fact that any coach who is in that position has nothing to hide.

I know he's injured but he has recovered already and he's a shoo-in, and the Champions Cup in Iran was a humiliating stage for the RP NT...nobody considered them as a threat or whatsoever...everybody has seen the RP NT improved as far as the Jones Cup is concerned..but they even us, never saw how Danny Seigle has improved.isl that a hidden player? yes he is. not everybody in Asia saw what happened in Iran, those were club teams, and most of them were Mid-East and Middle Asian teams.

i thought we're talking here of coaches in FIBA... you should go create your own thread regarding FIBA participants basketball program... :D :D :D

in any angle you would like to see it, Palma is not the type of coach who hide players unlike Korea and Japan...

as what i reteirated, Chot is resting Danny more than he's hiding him... could also be that he's hiding him, but that's not his main reason that's only supplementary, he could have hide Caguioa if that's really his purpose, hiding players...

saints13
07-15-2007, 06:22 AM
i thought we're talking here of coaches in FIBA... you should go create your own thread regarding FIBA participants basketball program... :D :D :D

in any angle you would like to see it, Palma is not the type of coach who hide players unlike Korea and Japan...

as what i reteirated, Chot is resting Danny more than he's hiding him... could also be that he's hiding him, but that's not his main reason that's only supplementary, he could have hide Caguioa if that's really his purpose, hiding players...

for a while I forgot that this was about Coaches..sorry..

btw..those hidden players in other NT's are considered to have injuries. :)