PDA

View Full Version : Foreigners in Philippine basketball leagues

Projectspeed
06-29-2007, 02:39 AM
Aside from PBA imports, please list all the foreigners (Indonesian, Serbian, Malaysian, American, Nigerian etc.) that currently plays for a Philippine basketball league (PBA,PBL,NCAA,UAAP,MVBA, NBC etc.):D

This is my little contribution:D

Marko Batricevic from Serbia (DLSU-UAAP):D
Ferdinand from Indonesia (DLSU-UAAP):D
Ryan Frebyan from Indonesia (UPHR-NCAA):D
Sang Myeon Lee from Korea (UPHR-NCAA):D
Sam Ekwe from Nigeria (San Beda-NCAA):D

:D

kerouac82
06-29-2007, 02:49 AM
Aside from PBA imports, please list all the foreigners (Indonesian, Serbian, Malaysian, American, Nigerian etc.) that currently plays for a Philippine basketball league (PBA,PBL,NCAA,UAAP,MVBA, NBC etc.):D

Thoyib Isman, formerly of UPHDS in the NCAA, is now with the EAC Generals.
Kirk Long of the USA and Zion Laterre of Australia are playing for the Ateneo Blue Eagles.
The FEU Tamaraws are also parading a Cameroonian player next year.

pachador
06-29-2007, 04:45 AM
ayus, bring them africanos on !!! first, Ekwe , now a guy from cameroon :D

Kirk Long of the USA and Zion Laterre of Australia are playing for the Ateneo Blue Eagles.

bolabasket
06-29-2007, 04:49 AM
ayus, bring them africanos on !!! first, Ekwe , now a guy from cameroon :D
then we could naturalize them (center position) we badly need.

thekidd
06-29-2007, 05:03 AM

Are these guys have pinoy blood or they are exchange "students" that's why they can play in a collegiate tournaments?

How can we have a sound basketball program if we give the spots on the Pure Foreigner BB Player in our collegiate level tournament, rather than our own Pinoy Ballers????

If they have Pinoy Blood... Go on... If not? What their use after the collegiate stage??? Can they play in the PBL(not as an import) as naturalized player?

Is PBA accepts naturalized players? I think not.

Is our RP NT will let naturalized players carry the blue, red, white with 3 stars and sun flag? I think not.

Which should be the first level to hone our future basketball players????

Is this good for our RP NT in the future?

Or UAAP and NCAA is setting a trend to be an entertainment type of league also???

Is UAAP, NCAA, SCRAA, NCRAA and any other collegiate league is under the authority of BAP-SBP????

If yes...

Is this helpful to the goal of BAP-SBP???

If No...

What should BAP-SBP do with it????

JET007
06-29-2007, 06:21 AM
then we could naturalize them (center position) we badly need.
2 7 footers would be good...:D

Projectspeed
06-29-2007, 06:24 AM

Isman will play for the Generals?:D so, CUSA allows players that played for a pro-club before?:D

Is the Cameroonian play center spot?:D

joel23
06-29-2007, 07:14 AM

Alex Compton =D

thekidd
06-29-2007, 07:25 AM
Sorry for spoiling the fun guys.....

But if these foreign players have no Pinoy blood....

Why should we happy with them playing in the collegiate league???

I can accept Fil-Foreign ballers playing for the Blue,Red,White with 3 stars and a sun....

But Naturalized-Pure-Foreigner ballers????

Don't you think IT IS A MATTER OF PRIDE????

We pride that basketball is a passion in Pinas...

So it means Pinoy prides it when we win international tournaments....

Is naturalizing a foreign player a SOLUTION or just a quick fix REMEDY????

kerouac82
06-29-2007, 07:38 AM

Isman will play for the Generals?:D so, CUSA allows players that played for a pro-club before?:D

Is the Cameroonian play center spot?:D

EAC belongs to the UCAA. They don't have any rules regarding foreign players at all, being a young league.

I don't have much info about the Cameroonian guy, but I think he plays center.

kerouac82
06-29-2007, 07:44 AM

I can accept Fil-Foreign ballers playing for the Blue,Red,White with 3 stars and a sun....

Hey, the SBP hasn't come around to naturalizing players, so no worries there. And if they do, I think they'd rather naturalize someone who's been in the country for long enough. For example, Alex Compton (who by the way speaks better Tagalog than most Fil-Ams do). But it will be a long shot.

As for foreign players in our college leagues, it's not everyday that one sees a Sam Ekwe-type player who can dominate right away. It's still safe to say that schools would prefer recruiting from within the country, especially for the better-known schools, even developing players from the high school level (this is mostly true for schools with powerhouse HS programs like SBC and AdMU).

thekidd
06-29-2007, 08:25 AM
Hey, the SBP hasn't come around to naturalizing players, so no worries there. And if they do, I think they'd rather naturalize someone who's been in the country for long enough. For example, Alex Compton (who by the way speaks better Tagalog than most Fil-Ams do). But it will be a long shot.

As for foreign players in our college leagues, it's not everyday that one sees a Sam Ekwe-type player who can dominate right away. It's still safe to say that schools would prefer recruiting from within the country, especially for the better-known schools, even developing players from the high school level (this is mostly true for schools with powerhouse HS programs like SBC and AdMU).

What I am saying is... why do we need to be happy with this kind of trend???

What is the benefit of philippine basketball and the future NT with the entrance of Pure Foreign players in the college league?

Do you think our homegrown college ballers can get their skills while playing with these guys???

Or is it just ENJOYING TO FEEL to capture the Championship with the help of these guys???

During the Craze of Fil-Foreigners entering the PBA...

What happened to the league??? Did it benefit it well, some may say yes, some may say no...

My answer is the league had learned from it... :)

But Pure Foreign player playing in collegiate level is like taking away the chance for a legit pinoy baller to be a part of a college team...

BTW, most of legit pinoy or pure home grown pinoy baller takes basketball as a ticket to get a proper education in the universities, I repeat sometimes but not all the time...

So if we let 2 or 3 or 4 Pure Foreign player in college league...

It is like taking away 4 educational chance for some pinoy ballers...

WHen it happened to PBA maraming pinoy players ang nawalan ng trabaho...

and with this trend... ilan pinoy ballers ang mawawalan ng chance na makakuha ng matinong education from universities?

Let's always look on the Long Term effect not the Short Term Popular effects...

Nangyari na to sa PBA at napaso ang liga dahil umapaw ang FIl-Foreign at natuto sila't nag-adjust.... Maraming pinoy baller hopefuls ang nawalan ng chance umakyat ng pro league...

In this trend, mismong grassroots ang mapipilayan...

Mawawalan tau ng next Patrimonio, Johnny A., Menesses, Jawo, Caidic....

I think this kind of trend (yielding Pure Foreign ballers in college leagues) will not help the Philippine Basketball at all...

Projectspeed
06-29-2007, 08:41 AM
EAC belongs to the UCAA. They don't have any rules regarding foreign players at all, being a young league.

I don't have much info about the Cameroonian guy, but I think he plays center.

Projectspeed
06-29-2007, 08:53 AM
What I am saying is... why do we need to be happy with this kind of trend???

What is the benefit of philippine basketball and the future NT with the entrance of Pure Foreign players in the college league?

Do you think our homegrown college ballers can get their skills while playing with these guys???

Or is it just ENJOYING TO FEEL to capture the Championship with the help of these guys???

During the Craze of Fil-Foreigners entering the PBA...

What happened to the league??? Did it benefit it well, some may say yes, some may say no...

My answer is the league had learned from it... :)

But Pure Foreign player playing in collegiate level is like taking away the chance for a legit pinoy baller to be a part of a college team...

BTW, most of legit pinoy or pure home grown pinoy baller takes basketball as a ticket to get a proper education in the universities, I repeat sometimes but not all the time...

So if we let 2 or 3 or 4 Pure Foreign player in college league...

It is like taking away 4 educational chance for some pinoy ballers...

WHen it happened to PBA maraming pinoy players ang nawalan ng trabaho...

and with this trend... ilan pinoy ballers ang mawawalan ng chance na makakuha ng matinong education from universities?

Let's always look on the Long Term effect not the Short Term Popular effects...

Nangyari na to sa PBA at napaso ang liga dahil umapaw ang FIl-Foreign at natuto sila't nag-adjust.... Maraming pinoy baller hopefuls ang nawalan ng chance umakyat ng pro league...

In this trend, mismong grassroots ang mapipilayan...

Mawawalan tau ng next Patrimonio, Johnny A., Menesses, Jawo, Caidic....

I think this kind of trend (yielding Pure Foreign ballers in college leagues) will not help the Philippine Basketball at all...

Don't worry bro:D NCAA/UAAP Board are smart enough to realize what will be the pros and cons of this trend:D

For sure, there's a lot of deliberations and debates before this policy (allowing of foreigners to play) was put into place:D

thekidd
06-29-2007, 08:58 AM
Don't worry bro:D NCAA/UAAP Board are smart enough to realize what will be the pros and cons of this trend:D

So is this your answer in my question if this Trend Will Benefit the future of our Philippine Basketball or RP NT???

Or it will just ensure them another trophy in their trophy case...

Being Smart has nothing to do with Being Right, Bro! :D

Projectspeed
06-29-2007, 09:13 AM
So is this your answer in my question if this Trend Will Benefit our Philippine Basketball or RP NT???

Or it will just ensure them another trophy in their trophy case...

Being Smart has nothing to do with Being Right, Bro! :D

obviously, that is not my answer:D
yeah, i know being Smart has nothing to do with Being Right:D

thekidd
06-29-2007, 09:16 AM
obviously, that is not my answer:D
yeah, i know being Smart has nothing to do with Being Right:D

being right always depends:D

Hahahahahah tama ka bro! being right it depends! it dependot! (TV commercial ng Margarine sa pinas) :D

QuickFox
06-29-2007, 01:21 PM
This trend is a challenge to the homegrowns. Its up to them how they face it. I, as a fan, love to watch homegrowns stand their ground against this foreigners.

And also one thing, with the service of a tall foreigner especially in the center spot, homegrowns whose height is 6'4"-6'6" who are forced to play center because of lack of tall homegrowns, now they can improve their range up to the 3pt line.

example is SAM EKWE's effect on ALJAMAL. Aljamal improved his shooting from the 3pt area with Ekwe controlling the boards.

Another example of effects of not having a tall center during their time in college:
Jondan Salvador 6'3" CENTER (Sentro!) Purefoods
Gabby Espinas 6'4" PF C San Miguel

Yes, this guys are polished as Center players, but can these guys help the NT when it comes to International games? ANSWER: NO

Espinas said on an interview that during his childhood he idolized Players who plays guard (i forgot if it was racela). He even played guard during those days until he enrolled at PCU and was forced to play C spot there. In short medyo nabano ang skills nya... when it comes to guard skills like outside shooting, ballhandling, penetration... sayang. Kung meron lang sana silang solid C sa PCU dati pwede sana height nya as SG SF at mkkatulong sya sa RP Team na umaasa ngaun kina GABE NORWOOD, KELLY WILLIAMS, DANNY SEIGLE sa 2-3-4 spot.

AGREE AKO SA ENTRY NG MGA FOREIGNERS SA AMATURE. Its up to the locals how to accept the challenge.

saints13
06-29-2007, 04:05 PM
well, maganda yan, may mga maglalaro na foreigners sa mga amateur leagues, lalo na yung mga malalaking players. ang pinakamalaking pakinabang natin e kung inanaturalize natin yun mga magagaling at malalaking players. :D
si Sam Ekwe for example, ok siya na inaturalize, kailangan lang e matanggap natin ang sistema ng naturalization. :D

ajaxballer
06-29-2007, 05:20 PM
I think its a great idea to allow more foreigners in your leagues
no matter if its in the college leagues or the pro-leagues. Right now
it seems that the Philippines is cut off from the rest of the basketball
world, not many filipinos playing in foreign leagues and not many
foreigners playing in filipino leagues.

The best way for any growing basketball nation to get better
is compete against higher competion, thats how european players
and south american players and even chinese players got better.
Along with foreign players you should bring in some some foreign
coaches to help share their knowledge with filipino plyers and
coaches, I'm not saying have them there forever but you use them
to learn from, China did that with Del Harris and now the Lithuanian
coach they have.

I know filipinos have the love for basketball and the heart to compete
at a high level but now its time to catch up with the rest of the world
in terms for skill level and style of play.

saints13
06-29-2007, 06:04 PM
Questions on the eligibility of two Fil-foreign players in the La Salle roster and a key figure of the 2006 UAAP champion team University of Santo Tomas have been raised two weeks before the 70th UAAP cage season unfolds at the Araneta Coliseum.

A source told The STAR yesterday that the league would ask the Archers, back in the fold after a one-year suspension, to submit next week the Bureau of Immigration certificate of recognition of Fil-foreign players Bader Malabes and PJ Walsham since the UAAP rules allow a participating school to enlist only two foreign players.

The Archers have two foreign cagers in the fold - Marko Batricevic, a Serbian, and Ferdinand, an Indonesian. Malabes is a Fil-Bahraini and Walsham, a Fil- Australian.

Although Malabes and Walsham are Fil-foreigners, they are still required to secure certificates from the BI to be able to play as Filipinos.

Actually Batricevic, who played high school basketball in the country, could be out of the first round after he reportedly sustained an ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) injury in a pre-season game last summer.

source: Asia-Basket (Phi) *I removed the part of the article which is about Jojo Duncil since it is not related to the topic of the thread

maxpayne
06-29-2007, 06:14 PM
This trend is a challenge to the homegrowns. Its up to them how they face it. I, as a fan, love to watch homegrowns stand their ground against this foreigners.
Just to add to quick fox's comment, Basketball in particular and sports in general is a competition. we need this to grow and improve. I think what thekidd's thoughts are selfish and and shortminded. Put it in another way, why do we love and be proud to hear when filipinos go to foreign land to hone their skills ( aguilar, chiu, etc.) and bitching those foreigners coming to play in the philippines. Ironic isn't it?

saints13
06-29-2007, 06:21 PM
well, it's really a competition, particularly in Basketball. but there's a big problem with this trend, what if the "rich college teams" overusing it and hiring the best possible import available. :) how bout the team who cant afford to give allowances to imports, pay their accomodations etc. :) anyway, its really a good thing, considering that Filipinos lack the height and guys here who are 6'4 and who are guard-wannabes, that often up playing Center in college, would have the luxury of playing a smaller position. the idea is really good,pero kung aabusuhin e magmumukha ng commercial league ang amateur basketball, e patay na. :D

thekidd
07-02-2007, 05:36 AM
the idea is really good,pero kung aabusuhin e magmumukha ng commercial league ang amateur basketball, e patay na. :D

Well, that is my point... we are giving up the spots for the foreigners... in the end can we use them in the RP NT?

can we elevate them in PBA?

after a successful college stint or PBL stint, where they going to play next?

Will they carry the Philippine Flag?

How about our legallly pinoy ballers?? Can they play in an exclusive university with good basketball program?

If the rich universities are allowed to field Foreign recruits, san ang competition dun?

Is it the rich and the less fortunate ba ang competition? Where we can dominate because we have the resource? Is this college basketball?

I read in this thread that "I love to see how the homegrowns pitted against this foreign studs ballers." and "It will create a good competition".

But.

What will happen to our legallly pinoy ballers?

Is college basketball paving its way to be a commercial basketball?

Naturalizing a Foreign Baller to carry the flag?

Is it not like an insult for us to be called a Basketball Obsssesed nation to let a non-pinoy baller carry the flag in FIBA abiding league like Olympics or recapturing the Asian Crown (unlike other intl tournament where it is allowed to field Imports)?

I have 3 issues:

1. No to Foreign Studs to play in college league. This may kill the opportunity for many legal pinoy baller to play in a college league. A surplus of supply will DEPRECIATE its value and QUALITY.

2. No to Foreign Baller Naturalization. This is a short-cut basketball program for our RP NT.

3. No to Naturalized Baller to carry the Flag. There is a thing called PRIDE.

thekidd
07-02-2007, 05:56 AM
Just to add to quick fox's comment, Basketball in particular and sports in general is a competition. we need this to grow and improve. I think what thekidd's thoughts are selfish and and shortminded. Put it in another way, why do we love and be proud to hear when filipinos go to foreign land to hone their skills ( aguilar, chiu, etc.) and bitching those foreigners coming to play in the philippines. Ironic isn't it?

"It is up to them to face it."

This is I think the most apathetic respond you can give to someone.

My point is. Giving the spot to the Foreign Studs baller will not definitely give our legal pinoy ballers the quality they have.

Short Minded? How about the lines I love to enjoy watching the homegrowns stand its ground against these foreigners?

Do you care what will happen to the future homegrowns? if there is a SURPLUS of Foreign Studs Ballers????

Or do you just love enjoying to watch the game? Do you love the sport or just enjoying the game?

I love the sport. And if I think it is not healthy for the future of the sport and the people who plays them. I think I have must speak up on what I can see can happen or MIGHT happen.

We are all expectators of the game... But these legal pinoy players are the proponents of the sport...

If we don't protect them... Who will???

jramoyo
07-02-2007, 09:23 AM
I have 3 issues:

1. No to Foreign Studs to play in college league. This may kill the opportunity for many legal pinoy baller to play in a college league. A surplus of supply will DEPRECIATE its value and QUALITY.

2. No to Foreign Baller Naturalization. This is a short-cut basketball program for our RP NT.

3. No to Naturalized Baller to carry the Flag. There is a thing called PRIDE.

1. Foreign players provide tougher competition which would, in the long run improve the playing-level of collegiate games.

2. We need a solid, legitimate big man. We are genetically a small race.

3. There is no pride in losing.

bolabasket
07-02-2007, 09:28 AM
as long as they can prove they have filipino blood...it's OK!

thekidd
07-02-2007, 09:31 AM

The issue here is PURE FOREIGN BALLER in the college league... As in NON PINOY...

saints13
07-02-2007, 04:30 PM

dude, their absolutely foreign. no Filipino lineage or whatsoever.

but how about this scenario?

how about for example Sam Ekwe will marry a Filipina, will he be a legitimate Filipino in the process?

and if yes, then, there are chances that these foreign players might get Filipino citizenship thru marrying a Filipina here.. :rolleyes:

kerouac82
07-03-2007, 01:38 AM

how about for example Sam Ekwe will marry a Filipina, will he be a legitimate Filipino in the process?

and if yes, then, there are chances that these foreign players might get Filipino citizenship thru marrying a Filipina here.. :rolleyes:

The prospects of Sam Ekwe marrying a Pinay is somewhat dim now. Or him marrying anyone, for that matter. He's in San Beda to prepare for the priesthood. :D

But if I was President and I had the power to naturalize any foreign-born baller not named Alex Compton, Sam would be it.

bolabasket
07-03-2007, 01:59 AM

He can be a Naturalized Filipino but not natural-born (if he decides to leave the priesthood). He can play for the RP Team but not in the PBA.

demonyito
07-03-2007, 02:30 AM
The prospects of Sam Ekwe marrying a Pinay is somewhat dim now. Or him marrying anyone, for that matter. He's in San Beda to prepare for the priesthood. :D

yeah but it doesnt prevent him from breeding another Sam Jr.?:D

rememebr we badly need the factor HEIGHT isnt it? Batrecivic is another one, while he will be off this season then i think they should divert him to inter-breeding progam:rolleyes:

my two cent s worth lol

thayil
07-03-2007, 03:10 AM
The Archers have two foreign cagers in the fold - Marko Batricevic, a Serbian, and Ferdinand, an Indonesian. Malabes is a Fil-Bahraini and Walsham, a Fil- Australian.

source: Asia-Basket (Phi) *I removed the part of the article which is about Jojo Duncil since it is not related to the topic of the thread

Walsham Played his Highschool days in Letran and now they are questioning him?

Labo ata..

saints13
07-03-2007, 03:33 AM
Walsham Played his Highschool days in Letran and now they are questioning him?

Labo ata..

oh really? well, maybe because the UAAP board might be cautious about La Salle fielding unelegible players again, this move was just a precaution I guess in order to avoid another suspension in the future.

thayil
07-03-2007, 04:07 AM
oh really? well, maybe because the UAAP board might be cautious about La Salle fielding unelegible players again, this move was just a precaution I guess in order to avoid another suspension in the future.

yup, It was strong line up and if my memory serves me right..

JC intal, Jay Ar Reyes was in that line up with Boyet Bautista and Ronjay Enrile.I think that was in year 2002..

aklanarcher
07-03-2007, 11:36 PM
I often see Marko Batricevic at school and he was limping last week. I got to see him this week and I think his condition is improving. He is not limping as much as he did last week. Perhaps his rehab is making his recovery quicker but having an ACL injury albeit a partial tear is something that does not heal overnight. I just hope he recovers well to play in the 2nd round of the UAAP Cage Wars.

rhk111
11-24-2007, 01:28 PM
It looks like the Philippines is becoming a favorite destination of basketball players from Cameroon.

After Pippo Nounduo, there's also a Ben Bekonti & Carlos Irving/Kiroung playing for Las Pinas College. Both are reportedly 6'3", & seem to be doing well as they consistently were able to help LPC by scoring in double figures in most games.

They recently saw action for LPC in the 2007 Harbour Centre-Challenge of Champions.

(Info summarized from gameface.ph)

geo
11-24-2007, 06:45 PM
Well, that is my point... we are giving up the spots for the foreigners... in the end can we use them in the RP NT?

can we elevate them in PBA?

after a successful college stint or PBL stint, where they going to play next?

Will they carry the Philippine Flag?

No bro. we use them only for learning. It will force our college coaches to let our 6'4"-6'6" players to play SG or SF since somebody bigger than them managing center position. In other words, our pure filipino home grown talents will be used to playing against big players like the ones that we face in the international games. So, by the time our NT compete in the FIBA games some of our players is comfortable playing against big hulking foreigners and they will not be intimated anymore.

bolabasket
02-16-2008, 01:21 AM
Generals force ‘rubber’
By Peter Atencio

Cameroon native Romeo Fotue shone the brightest for Emilio Aguinaldo College as the Generals denied St. Francis of Assisi College Doves a trouble-free trip to the finals with a 78-71 win on Thursday in the Final Four of the 15th Smart-National Capital Region Athletic Association men’s basketball tournament at the Olivarez College Gym in Sucat, Parañaque.

Fotue scattered 28 points, four of them treys, to lead the Generals in forcing a no-tomorrow showdown for the right to challenge defending champion Arellano University Chiefs for the title for the second straight year.

The Generals and the Doves clash again in the winner-take-all contest today at 11 a.m. at the EAC Sports Complex.

A win by the Generals will deny the Doves a chance to advance to the finals in this tournament also presented by Petron, Mikasa and Molten.

“We’ll play them [St. Francis] in our own homecourt. We hope we can take advantage of this,” said EAC coach Nomar Isla.

The Chiefs earned a return trip following a hard-earned 97-83 win over Philippine Merchant Marine School Mariners, 97-83. The victory lines up Arellano U for a chance to win back-to-back crowns.

Leomer Losentes, who led the Doves with 19 points, had 10 in the first quarter as the Doves took an early 11-point spread, 24-13.

But the Doves, who missed injured big man Michael Rabor, failed to sustain their fire as Losentes was held scoreless by Fotue’s tight defense.

With Losentes cuffed, the Doves were held to a mere four points in the second quarter, allowing the Generals to move ahead, 28-26, at half time.

The Generals then turned to John Valderama, who scored key baskets in the next two quarters.

Valderama, who had 17 points, scored on a jumper and a trey to give the Generals a 51-50 third-quarter bubble in the middle of an 8-0 spurt that put the Generals safely on top, 70-59, with 3:17 remaining.

JET007
02-16-2008, 01:40 AM

you smile a lot :D

ricodgame
02-16-2008, 03:45 AM
yup, It was strong line up and if my memory serves me right..

JC intal, Jay Ar Reyes was in that line up with Boyet Bautista and Ronjay Enrile.I think that was in year 2002..

PJ Walshan, JC Intal and JR Reyes was still on team b when Ronjay Enrile and Boyet Bautista led the squirres to runner up finish..

but you are right PJ Walsham, JC and JR played on the 2002 team of squires.. and goes on to defeat the Casio led San Beda..

anyways.. JR REYES is the MVP, ROY, Defensive Player and member of mythical 5 of that season..

DLSU, UP, Ateneo, and of course Letran is dying to recruit him.. but in the end he chose UP.. (according to him, he will make a big impact there, because Ateneo still has E-Vil, DLSU loves to play small ball and Letran uhmm he preffered to play for UAAP teams)

anyways.. what happened to OJ CUA? former NCAA jrs MVP and when he was still at Letran High he is groomed to be the next JC Intal.. now playing for DLSU

also Jeff Morial.. the former leading scorer of Letran High now playing for CSB

dreamwalker
02-16-2008, 05:07 AM

There's nothing wrong naturalizing a foreigner unless he wills it or done voluntarily. Canada for instance is open for immigrants willing to call her home. In less than 4 years gifted/talented athletes that excelled in a certain sports decipline can represent the country without any legal restrictions. One thing is for sure, they take pride in representing their new country. And should they win a gold medal, we simply call them our very own who brought great honor for flag and country.

In relation to basketball, I see no difference with the US NCAA allowing or recruiting foreigners to play in their league not necessarily for the purpose of naturalization which is actually by personal choice or out of necessity. The Philippine NCAA or the UAAP for that matter is not much of a difference in the recruitment process.

Going back to the naturalization issue, it's a given fact that the Philippines lack in size but not lacking in talent. Only one foreigner needs to be naturalized (per FIBA ruling) for the national basketball team, a 7-footer and it was clearly specified by SBP. We are not going to ask every foreigner who come and play in our local leagues to apply for naturalization that is rediculously ureasonable. But of course, if these foreign students wanted to be naturalized, it's a matter of personal choice. We only need what we don't have - a center of international standard, not the average Filipino centers.

ankle breaker
02-18-2008, 02:14 PM
i think there is no problem about it. i know SBP can take matters in their own hands.

dreamwalker
02-18-2008, 08:56 PM
i think there is no problem about it. i know SBP can take matters in their own hands.

Precisely....:D

ankle breaker
02-19-2008, 02:50 PM
sounds like a platoon of fil-am hopefuls are coming over.

thadzonline
06-26-2008, 01:42 PM
Papi Hugo is a French diplomat's son playing at USC Under-21 team in Cebu, the team is disbanded

ankle breaker
06-26-2008, 02:12 PM
Papi Hugo is a French diplomat's son playing at USC Under-21 team in Cebu, the team is disbanded
do you know what happened after the disbandment? where is he playing now? did he went back to france? i think he's eligible to play college ball here in RP, right?

rhk111
06-27-2008, 01:43 AM
Looks like one of SBC's recruits is pushing thru, as he seems to have finally enrolled at SBC. Latest updates on him are:
- Currently undergoing residency at SBC so he can play in the NCAA in 2009
- Nickname is "Superman" due to a Superman tattoo on his chest
- Around 6'7"
- First name is "Dan"
- Described as having a "massive" frame, high-flying and athletic
- Will play for SBC's Team Behold while sitting out the NCAA residency
- Will finally be unveiled on Philippine soil when Team Behold plays in the Fr. Martin Cup III, which will start about the same time as the NCAA
- I think he's a foreigner, an import, rather than a Fil-foreigner

ankle breaker
06-27-2008, 02:42 PM
Looks like one of SBC's recruits is pushing thru, as he seems to have finally enrolled at SBC. Latest updates on him are:
- Around 6'7"
- First name is "Dan"
- Will finally be unveiled on Philippine soil when Team Behold plays in the Fr. Martin Cup III, which will start about the same time as the NCAA
this guy will be sam ekwe's replacement. udo was touted to be the replacement but he deserted the team.

b3lowzro
06-27-2008, 02:49 PM
- Around 6'7"
- First name is "Dan"

So he's that american dude that big cat is talking about.

Alex07
06-27-2008, 04:21 PM
how about the rumored 6'10 player from Congo? will he be a part of San Beda's team behold too?

thadzonline
06-27-2008, 06:40 PM
how about the rumored 6'10 player from Congo? will he be a part of San Beda's team behold too?

who? Dikembe Mutombo? lol, I hope this pans out :D

rhk111
06-27-2008, 11:52 PM

Still no news yet, as of now.

The way "Superman" is being hyped in the other forums, though, there may not be any need for the 6'10" guy from Congo. :D

They're saying everybody is going to hate San Beda once "Superman" starts playing for Team Animo. If some people think having Sam Ekwe is "unfair", wait til they see this guy. :D

rhk111
06-27-2008, 11:56 PM
By the way, there's also another foreigner who is set to play in the UAAP. His name is Chris Aqualaful.
- He played for Lyceum last season
- Was instrumental in Lyceum beating some NCAA / UAAP schools
- Around 6'5"
- Reportedly transferred to the National University (NU) Bulldogs, currently sitting out a year or so of residency in order to play in the UAAP

Alex07
06-28-2008, 12:13 AM
Still no news yet, as of now.

The way "Superman" is being hyped in the other forums, though, there may not be any need for the 6'10" guy from Congo. :D

They're saying everybody is going to hate San Beda once "Superman" starts playing for Team Animo. If some people think having Sam Ekwe is "unfair", wait til they see this guy. :D

Maybe San Beda could donate the 6'10 congo guy to other teams in the UAAP like the Adamson or UP perhaps :)

ankle breaker
06-30-2008, 03:54 PM
they would instead lend it to ateneo per MVP's advise.

The_Big_Cat
07-01-2008, 02:57 AM
So he's that american dude that big cat is talking about.

As one alumnus would put it. When Ekwe came to the Philippines, Sam was raw. This dude is very much skilled than Sam. Plays in the middle, excellent low-post moves and great shot blocker in US high school. He can easily score 25 ppg and grab 15 rpg here. And very very athletic.

To be continued........:D

rhk111
07-01-2008, 09:46 AM
It seems that the good ol' NCAA MANCOM has decided to change the residency rule for foreigners from just 1 year, to 2 years, starting next season. "Superman" is still covered by the 1-year residency rule. It probably had something to do with the MANCOM's "capitulating" on the Jake Pascual issue. They struck back some other way (shakes head).

rhk111
07-01-2008, 09:53 AM
From the Gameface forums, courtesy of "gider": This is guy is LIKELY to be "Superman". He doesn't look very tall, though.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e56/gider/NCAA%2084/IMG_0602.jpg

b3lowzro
07-01-2008, 12:15 PM
From the Gameface forums, courtesy of "gider": This is guy is LIKELY to be "Superman". He doesn't look very tall, though.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e56/gider/NCAA%2084/IMG_0602.jpg

now how did SBC recruited that guy? from a HS or is he transferring student from an American tertiary instittute?

ankle breaker
07-01-2008, 02:26 PM
no comment on the picture. some people might think im judging the guy based on 1 pic. hopefully this guy is really good. that will put SBC in a good situation next year.

rhk111
08-18-2008, 02:36 AM
Courtesy of "gider" from one of SBC's Team B games at the ongoing Fr. Martin's Cup Tournament, here's another pic of "Superdan":

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e56/gider/FMC%202%2008/IMG_3397.jpg

C2Hamm
08-18-2008, 02:54 AM
6'7 Sudan Daniel, you can look for him, he played in Dominguez Dons

Lebron23
08-18-2008, 03:04 AM
JR REYES is the MVP, ROY, Defensive Player and member of mythical 5 of that season..

Thanks for the information because i didn't know that JR Reyes was a superb athlete back in HS, and I think he's going to be a member of the RP National Team because he is currently one of the most versatile player in the PBA.

b3lowzro
08-18-2008, 05:57 AM
Has the Guamanian players of Adamson saw action in the Fr. Martin Cup?

C2Hamm
08-18-2008, 06:12 AM
Has the Guamanian players of Adamson saw action in the Fr. Martin Cup?
says some posters in gameface: Yes

ankle breaker
08-18-2008, 03:25 PM
it was reported that superdan scored 15 pts highlighted by 6 dunks. can't he do layups? or he's just a dunking demon.

C2Hamm
08-19-2008, 01:29 AM
it was reported that superdan scored 15 pts highlighted by 6 dunks. can't he do layups? or he's just a dunking demon.
i doubt you will hear Filipino students say "WOW! he can do layups!"
i bet he can, its just that, its uncommon in the collegiate scene here to dunk on people game in and game out. so in short, thats the highlight of his game. here is something a posted who watched him said: he is better than ekwe when he first came in.

kerouac82
08-19-2008, 01:40 AM
The thing with Daniels, according to Bedan Gamefacers, is that he isn't exactly a "big-man" type of player. The kid usually plays outside. He does have a better overall outside/slashing game than Ekwe had when he first came in, but he has to develop an inside game too -- Ekwe will be out of eligibility next season and I don't see Marcelo or Pascual growing another inch or so before July 2009.

C2Hamm
08-19-2008, 01:52 AM
The thing with Daniels, according to Bedan Gamefacers, is that he isn't exactly a "big-man" type of player. The kid usually plays outside. He does have a better overall outside/slashing game than Ekwe had when he first came in, but he has to develop an inside game too -- Ekwe will be out of eligibility next season and I don't see Marcelo or Pascual growing another inch or so before July 2009.
enter Papot.... if his parents/coach allows him to go to SBC for college.:D

kerouac82
08-19-2008, 03:15 AM
I wouldn't count on Papot Paredes playing center full-time even if he goes to SBC for college. The guy's simply too thin. He'll have a hard time going up against JRU's bruising inside D if he doesn't bulk up. The way I see it, his body is suited more for playing SF, more like a JR Reyes or Kerby Raymundo. Now, if by some stroke of luck Norbert Torres decides to drive past Taft and cross the Pasig over to Mendiola... :D

rhk111
08-19-2008, 04:15 AM
I'm not really that impressed with Philip Paredes. He MAY develop into a respectable big man later, then again, he may not.

What is obvious now, is that Paredes is a PROJECT, which may, or may not earn dividends later.

He may be impressive there playing against much shorter players in CDO, but against players his size or bigger, he has been a disappointment.

b3lowzro
08-19-2008, 09:37 AM
I'm not really that impressed with Philip Paredes. He MAY develop into a respectable big man later, then again, he may not.

What is obvious now, is that Paredes is a PROJECT, which may, or may not earn dividends later.

He may be impressive there playing against much shorter players in CDO, but against players his size or bigger, he has been a disappointment.

well he lacks exposure against big men compared to Jervy who a bit undersized for a center (outside the UAAP) but can still make an impact inside. I guess we should be training Papot Paredes just like Pido and other RP youth coach trained Jervy

The_Big_Cat
08-19-2008, 01:17 PM
enter Papot.... if his parents/coach allows him to go to SBC for college.:D
Franz Pumaren has already an inside track of this kid.

C2Hamm
08-19-2008, 01:43 PM
Franz Pumaren has already an inside track of this kid.
he has inside track of almost all the players in the team. hehehehe

ankle breaker
08-19-2008, 03:39 PM

i doubt you will hear Filipino students say "WOW! he can do layups!"
i bet he can, its just that, its uncommon in the collegiate scene here to dunk on people game in and game out. so in short, thats the highlight of his game. here is something a posted who watched him said: he is better than ekwe when he first came in.
it's nice to see players dunk because not all players can do it. however i still consider the acrobatic shots and layups, dip-si-does and hangtime are the most difficult maneuvers/moves in basketball.

kerouac82
08-20-2008, 02:45 AM
well he lacks exposure against big men compared to Jervy who a bit undersized for a center (outside the UAAP) but can still make an impact inside. I guess we should be training Papot Paredes just like Pido and other RP youth coach trained Jervy

Pido was never an RP Youth coach. If I remember correctly, the RP YT was coached by some scrub named Johnny Tam back then. Jervy was then picked up by Nel Parado and redshirted a year before Pido got the UST head coaching job.

The_Big_Cat
08-20-2008, 06:09 AM
Jose Rizal University, National University and Adamson University currently have foreign players serving residency this season.

ankle breaker
08-20-2008, 01:59 PM
Jose Rizal University, National University and Adamson University currently have foreign players serving residency this season.
do you know what are their respective nationalities?

htownflip87
08-20-2008, 02:20 PM
so, who is this sudan daniel? is he part filipino or what? how is he playing here in the philippines?

Lebron23
08-20-2008, 02:23 PM
He looks like LeBron James, and i think he's a good addition to the San Beda Red Lions next season.

joesmoove059
08-20-2008, 02:58 PM
more like Emeka Okafur, hehe:D

rhk111
04-24-2009, 04:49 PM
Oh boy. It looks like a monster is coming to the UAAP. Number 15 of the "Sheperds" is supposed to be Mbah Ifeanyi. If so, then the guy really is a monster. Tall, athletic, and with serious skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OifM_l5pG88

Alex07
04-28-2009, 05:24 PM
Oh boy. It looks like a monster is coming to the UAAP. Number 15 of the "Sheperds" is supposed to be Mbah Ifeanyi. If so, then the guy really is a monster. Tall, athletic, and with serious skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OifM_l5pG88

how tall was that #15 guy?

rhk111
04-29-2009, 04:19 AM
how tall was that #15 guy?

Supposed to be 6'9", but I'll be conservative and say he's probably only around 6'6" based on the videos.

But if he really is 6'9", and he can play the way he does in the video, boy, he's going to leave a trail of bodies in the UAAP. Imagine a 6'9" player with that athleticism and skill.

The UP thread about this guy was closed at the Gameface forums, and even if his name was listed on the Fil Oil lineup for UP, he hasn't surfaced yet, so nobody's sure except the UP insiders on whether we will see this guy play for UP in about two year's time or not.

jesronne
04-29-2009, 07:06 AM
hmmm... maybe capecoasthoops of interbasket is the one who give that number 15 guy to UP