PDA

View Full Version : Can The Rp Team Play Like The Phoenix Suns?

ravn21
04-27-2007, 02:49 PM
Their is a chance that the RP team will play like the suns..... we all know that the suns type of play is a running game. I just want ask this questions for our topic to be interesting:

1. Do the type of play of the suns can be effective for us to use? We have the speed and quickness but is this enough?

2. Do we have a Steve Nash type of player that can make his teammates involve, that they can show their A game?

3. Do we have a Athletic big men that can rebound, defend and score?

4. Is the suns type of play can be the key to beat taller teams like China?

5. Lastly, we all know that the suns type of game can win many games but can it win a Championship?, or in our case can the suns style qualify us to the Olympics?

Please share your knowledgeable opinions! It will highly appreciated! Tnx! :) :) :) :) :)

Phantim3dx
04-28-2007, 04:43 AM
Their is a chance that the RP team will play like the suns..... we all know that the suns type of play is a running game. I just want ask this questions for our topic to be interesting:

1. Do the type of play of the suns can be effective for us to use? We have the speed and quickness but is this enough?

2. Do we have a Steve Nash type of player that can make his teammates involve, that they can show their A game?

3. Do we have a Athletic big men that can rebound, defend and score?

4. Is the suns type of play can be the key to beat taller teams like China?

5. Lastly, we all know that the suns type of game can win many games but can it win a Championship?, or in our case can the suns style qualify us to the Olympics?

Please share your knowledgeable opinions! It will highly appreciated! Tnx! :) :) :) :) :)

1. we do have the speed and quickness, and actually that's a good point of running the run and gun game.

2. no we dont have a steve nash type of player; mentioning his name to anyone in the phil nt team is blasphemous. the pg are penetrators and shooters, shoot first pass second mentality, which i loathe. the phil doesnt have a pass first nt good enough to suck in and collapse defenses in an intl competition for the ball to be dished to the open man

3. yes we have athletic big men asi/pennisi let them do the dirty work

4.yes it can be if the suns can contain nad give yao ming a hard time, why couldnt it work it means everyone has to be on the same page and fluid and hustling more to make sure the open guy doesnt get too well of a shot

5. dont know if it would work or not, why dont you tell chot to give it a shot

kalamity131
04-28-2007, 06:44 AM
2. no we dont have a steve nash type of player; mentioning his name to anyone in the phil nt team is blasphemous. the pg are penetrators and shooters, shoot first pass second mentality, which i loathe. the phil doesnt have a pass first nt good enough to suck in and collapse defenses in an intl competition for the ball to be dished to the open man

Actually, if you've been following the PBA last season, you'll notice one payer averaging less tahn ten points and at one point 16 assists(14 in the championships.) his name is Jay jay Helterbarnd of the Brgy. Ginebra Gin Kings. That's the only reason that he was with the national team. Yes, he can score bigtime, but if that's what coach chot wants, he would have chosen James Yap instead.

karim
04-28-2007, 10:53 AM
steve nash was injured 2 years ago for 2 weeks in that season pheonix went 62-20 and the suns went 0-5 in that stretch without him....so not having nash makes a big difference :)

Phantim3dx
04-28-2007, 02:07 PM
and at one point 16 assists

so @ one point means the whole season he averaged 16 assists per game or was it more of once in awhile, theres a difference between averaging the whole season and once in awhile getting this. reason why i dont think we dont have such a pass first mentality because all the highlights I see are of the pg's penetrating and shooting buckets. as a person who plays pg i extremely do not like the new style of pg's like iverson, i miss tyhe days of old school pg's i jsut dont see that 98% of the time in any league these days. whether its the primary assist or secondary assist

kalamity131
04-29-2007, 07:19 AM
so @ one point means the whole season he averaged 16 assists per game or was it more of once in awhile, theres a difference between averaging the whole season and once in awhile getting this. reason why i dont think we dont have such a pass first mentality because all the highlights I see are of the pg's penetrating and shooting buckets. as a person who plays pg i extremely do not like the new style of pg's like iverson, i miss tyhe days of old school pg's i jsut dont see that 98% of the time in any league these days. whether its the primary assist or secondary assist

he averaged 16 assists in the qualification and semis...I dont' know his average for the whle season because he was briefly checked by LA Tenorio in the champs, it would have lowered the numbers.

ravn21
04-30-2007, 05:35 AM
In my point of view, the RP team our not yet ready to compete against the other country besides Asia. So in this topic let's just focus on the FIBA Asia qualifier, I mean against the Asian team only.

Yes! we can play suns basketball if it's offense but how about playing defense? hmmm.... chot wants the team to play like a pit bull where the neck is always the main target. What I mean is we will play non stop movement, full court press, halfcourt, man to man, zone and etc.... His planning to always shift the defensive style we have. With Assistant Coach Uichico I think it will be well polished since he is known to be a defensive coach. The question in this type of defense is do we have the luxury of players that can interchange at the same time maintain the intensity of our defense? What if their will be players in foul trouble? since FIBA referee sometimes call foul often or a lot.

Honestly! I agree with the type of defense we will use since this is our only chance to beat tall teams in Asia because most of them lack the ability to ball hand efficiently. I for us to be effective is we need to imitate not just the suns but the chicago defense since they uses small guards.

What ever happens I still believe that the RP team as a big chance to enter the Olympics, when we our there it's a different story. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

SkyWalker
04-30-2007, 06:35 AM
for me, why not try a hybrid PHX and DALLAS style of game. efficient offense and a good defense. but i hope, we're not playing Golden State, or else, wer busted.:D again, this kind of ideology is wuchucawld DAYDREAMING..:D

sickcurtain_16
05-02-2007, 05:20 AM
How about suns/pistons combination? hehehehe. they just need to work as a team and do their best. Play that they won't have regrets even if they lose. They just need to play their own A game without trying to imitate anybody to get their goal.

I just wish them luck and good health that they may qualify to the olympics and win a couple of games there. :)

Burndvinyard
05-02-2007, 07:38 AM

JJ Helterbrand is a reliable point guard. Can score huge baskets when needed but likewise makes sure that his passes are converted into points by the players he assists. I've seen the Ginebra games closely last season and i believe the lowest number of assists he made in all those games that i watched was 5, the highest at 16. Based on my own statistics though.:D :)

ros
05-03-2007, 03:00 AM
JJ Helterbrand is a reliable point guard. Can score huge baskets when needed but likewise makes sure that his passes are converted into points by the players he assists. I've seen the Ginebra games closely last season and i believe the lowest number of assists he made in all those games that i watched was 5, the highest at 16. Based on my own statistics though.:D :)

He was averaging 16 assts in semi-final against Talk n Text. Struggled in the first two games in the finals against SMB but bounce back in games 3 to 6..

kalamity131
05-03-2007, 09:47 AM
Why even bother to play like an NBA team when what matters most is the international type? NBA style is good but it cannot in an international competion.

erektus
05-03-2007, 12:15 PM
To each his own. I respect PhantimX's cynicism as his own way of expressing his patriotism. He wouldn't be lurking in these forums if he had no love for RP basketball.

Cynicism is not necessarily the opposite of idealism. In fact, most types of cynicism trace their roots to a high form of idealism that had gone awry at some point, due to disillusionment or a dose of reality.

Actually, I find PhantimX's cynicism a bit naive and, well, "pure." A cynic who boldy proclaims to the world that he is a cynic is often not a true, hardcore cynic. A cynic in the negative sense is scheming and calculating, and PhantimX does not appear to be one.

Funny that he reads Sun Tzu but does not appear to practice what he preaches. Sun Tzu's philosophy can be summarized in a line from the movie "The Godfather", wherein Don Vito Corleone advises his son, "Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer." Secrecy, deception and "veiled diplomacy" are key ingredients for winning, and China is known historically for these tactics.

Hey PhantimX, I'm based in HK but I travel to Beijing sometimes. I've played ball in Wudaokou -- perhaps we can catch a pick-up game the next time I'm there. I'd be more than willing to show you what homegrown pinoy ball is all about.

Incidentally, last Sunday I watched a basketball game between a group of pinoy OFWs in HK vs. a college varsity team composed of local Chinese players. It was a close game until the fourth quarter when the pinoys have all but exhausted the kids' stamina with their relentless running attack. Pinoys won by 10 points. Though lacking in height, they made up for it with superior aggressiveness and hustle -- now, THIS is pinoy basketball, circa 1980s. They just kept on attacking on the break and never gave the Chinese defense a chance to set up. They managed to outhustle the much taller Chinese off the boards, too.

It was a study in contrast -- the pinoys with their run-and-gun, open court style vs. the deliberate, half-court motion plays of the Chinese. One Chinese spectator even commented on the pinoy team, "They play like the Phoenix Suns." Indeed there is method to our madness. 'Twas a beauty to watch.

In this day and age, when popular logic keeps telling Filipino ballers to do away with their seemingly disorganized approach to the game in favor of a more systematic and scientific one, somehow...sheer instincts still manage to prevail.

Just like this long, rambling and pointless post of mine hahaha!

Phantim3dx
05-03-2007, 05:15 PM
To each his own. I respect PhantimX's cynicism as his own way of expressing his patriotism. He wouldn't be lurking in these forums if he had no love for RP basketball.

Cynicism is not necessarily the opposite of idealism. In fact, most types of cynicism trace their roots to a high form of idealism that had gone awry at some point, due to disillusionment or a dose of reality.

Actually, I find PhantimX's cynicism a bit naive and, well, "pure." A cynic who boldy proclaims to the world that he is a cynic is often not a true, hardcore cynic. A cynic in the negative sense is scheming and calculating, and PhantimX does not appear to be one.

Funny that he reads Sun Tzu but does not appear to practice what he preaches. Sun Tzu's philosophy can be summarized in a line from the movie "The Godfather", wherein Don Vito Corleone advises his son, "Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer." Secrecy, deception and "veiled diplomacy" are key ingredients for winning, and China is known historically for these tactics.

Hey PhantimX, I'm based in HK but I travel to Beijing sometimes. I've played ball in Wudaokou -- perhaps we can catch a pick-up game the next time I'm there. I'd be more than willing to show you what homegrown pinoy ball is all about.

Incidentally, last Sunday I watched a basketball game between a group of pinoy OFWs in HK vs. a college varsity team composed of local Chinese players. It was a close game until the fourth quarter when the pinoys have all but exhausted the kids' stamina with their relentless running attack. Pinoys won by 10 points. Though lacking in height, they made up for it with superior aggressiveness and hustle -- now, THIS is pinoy basketball, circa 1980s. They just kept on attacking on the break and never gave the Chinese defense a chance to set up. They managed to outhustle the much taller Chinese off the boards, too.

It was a study in contrast -- the pinoys with their run-and-gun, open court style vs. the deliberate, half-court motion plays of the Chinese. One Chinese spectator even commented on the pinoy team, "They play like the Phoenix Suns." Indeed there is method to our madness. 'Twas a beauty to watch.

In this day and age, when popular logic keeps telling Filipino ballers to do away with their seemingly disorganized approach to the game in favor of a more systematic and scientific one, somehow...sheer instincts still manage to prevail.

i dont necessarily fall everything i read, i often have a weakness of letting things come straight out of my mind in a damn the torpedoes full steam ahead mentalit whther its going to sink me or not..jerry sloan perhaps...

let me know when you come to beijing, wudaoku area sometime, message me, ill give you my number here in beijing. im playing for the fil basketball team in the uni im studying chinese. cant play though, gf visited and i gto fat from eating need to lose the weight during the may holiday. stay frosty on your end.

on another note, wtf is it with the chinese always fukcing calling foul aka "fangui" i keept tellign them id didnt know there was dwayned wade ont he court and refs were calling ghost fouls left and right...frustrates the hell out of me

onono1
05-04-2007, 12:20 PM

Amen! ;)

ctongco
05-05-2007, 05:16 AM
Whether RP plays like the SUNS or not, what is important is we use our strengths well. Strengths like our backcourt guys, our 3-point shooting, speed, etc. Hope we do well in the coming FIBA-Asia Championship.

ravn21
05-09-2007, 10:13 AM
Guys thank you for your support! by the way I been bless to watch the RP team vs All Imports yesterday, I know some of you know it already that we've won. It was an exciting game it was 103-100 win by the RP team, in the last mins. we are down by 1 and the import has the possession, we've been lucky to steal the ball and allow Alapag to drive to the basket with a foul but he didn't make the free throw, the Imports have a chance but they didn't score so they foul Pennisi. He sink in the 2 important free throws for a comfortable 3 pt lead. The most exciting part is when the Imports try to tie the game. Were Sullinger (import of TNT) miss a open 3 pt shot, but the Imports manage to get the possession that allow Chandler for another 3 pts but he is tightly guarded by his fellow teammates Kirby Raymundo in Purefoods so he decided to foul bate but he didn't make the referee blow their whistle. Ellis (Import of Alaska) rebound the ball and try again for a 3 pts but miss and then galen (import of SMB) young try for the turn around 3 pts shot but still miss. In the end the crowd roars when team Pilipinas gather in the mid court and say thanks to the fans.

In behalf of the Imports they really give the audience a show, were Sullinger put back dunk by a rebound really rock the Araneta coliseum. I hope it will be televised which I think they will because they are taping it during the game. It's really a great experience of mine since the RP team will go abroad to compete in the Champions Cup.

MY COMMENTS: Our RP team really have a big chance to qualify in the Olympics but I still need to give my opinion regarding about their defense and rebounding. During the game they really didn't play good defense except for the last minute, that's why it's a high scoring game. Well I think it's an excuse not to play physical defense since it's only an exhibition game and we will be competing in an Int'l game so Chot doesn't want players to get injured. He didn't even show the trapping defense, and full court press, in short the game is more of a All Star game type except in the last mins.

I really want to concentrate with our rebounding, we give the Imports 3 consecutive offensive rebound every possession it means the Imports have to many 2nd chance pts. which I think is inexcusable! don't you think? E Vil really blend well in the team were he is always team up with Pennisi but he didn't show his dominance in rebounding. Well it's not E Vil fault why we can't rebound well, I believe it's a total team effort, in this kind of scenario I really miss the service of Hatfield because of his determination to get the rebound. The RP team really needs to make way to imporve their rebounding since rebound is very important to win big games. Remember the famous line in Anime Slam Dunk " The 1 who controls the rebound controls the game!" I just hope Team Pilipinas will do something about this, for me getting a rebound is not really about how tall you are or how high you jump... this things our just physical attributes, to be a good rebounder it's mainly more on the character side. Like Charles Barkely he his just 6'4 or 6'6 but he really show his dominance because of his character. In the PBA hatfield is the best example, even he is small for big men he really show his character that he want's to get the ball no matter what happen. I just want the players of the RP team to show their character to play and prove that even we are small people we can out rebound the giants of other country.... it's time to end the saying that Filipinos can't play basketball because they are small... now let's say Filipinos are small but terrible! that even we are small we can dominate!

In my opinion if E Vil will be allow to play in the Fiba qualifier, we really need to give up Raymundo or Ranidel and find a Athletic player like Kelly or Norwood which I think they are eyeing to be the 12 man in the Fiba qualifier. My reason is when I watch them play, the team really needs a athletic forward that can play both SF and PF well... and that can defend. E Vil., Kirby R. and Ranidel O. are more of a power forward. So having Ranidel, Kirby and Enrico is a risk for us. Enrico can play the PF-C but his to slow to play the SF. but he can give us the scoring presence inside. Since E Vil. his the 12 man and he his not sure to play in the Fiba qualifier then he is the right player to be replace but it's kinda hard to lose E Vil. because of his talent so for me Ranidel and Kirby are doubtful, especially Raymundo.... he is like E Vil but lacks the strength to bang with the big men, is more of a finesse player which I think we have in the presence of Ranidel who I think is more versatile because of his 3pt shooting.

Feel free to give your opinions.... what I've said is my personal experience in seeing them play and with the video clips. Tnx!

asapa11
05-09-2007, 12:42 PM
wow! i wish i was able to watch the game too, i cant wait to watch the rp team in action...

they showed the highlights during the halftime of the stL-RB game. they have a new jersey and have their amateur team numbers (4-15).. is there anyone here who got pics? of the game? and their jersey numbers?

ravn21
05-10-2007, 07:16 AM
Sori sir I don't have any pics but I think I can help about their corresponding numbers:

4 Mark Caguioa
5 Danny Seigle
6 Jimmy Alapag
7 Dondon Hontiveros
8 Asi Taulava
9 Ranidel de Ocampo
10 Enrico Villanueva
11 Mick Pennisi
12 Kirby Raymundo
13 Jayjay Helterbran
14 Renren Ritualo
15 Tony dela Cruz

I hope sir that I been able to help! :) :) :) :)

wow! i wish i was able to watch the game too, i cant wait to watch the rp team in action...

they showed the highlights during the halftime of the stL-RB game. they have a new jersey and have their amateur team numbers (4-15).. is there anyone here who got pics? of the game? and their jersey numbers?