PDA

View Full Version : Qatar Invitational

khatib
03-16-2007, 09:55 AM
Lebanon will play in Qatar from July 5-10 with Qatar,Jordan and Philippines as a preparation for the Asian Championship.

karim
03-16-2007, 11:36 AM
looks like a strong tournament......if lebanon wins this tournament than i think they can qualify to the olympics cuz these are the best teams in asia after China

Grr_tiger
03-16-2007, 06:44 PM
looks like a strong tournament......if lebanon wins this tournament than i think they can qualify to the olympics cuz these are the best teams in asia after China

even if the Philippines or Jordan or Qatar wins this tournament, it doesn't mean anything.

these games are just for preparation, like sparring sessions for boxers.

each team will try to assess their team's strength and weaknesses during their matchups against other countries.

so don't worry too much if Jordan wins over Lebanon by 20 pts or be too confident if Lebanon defeats Qatar in their homecourt because what matters most is the FIBA Asia Championship in July.

let me give you a concrete example.

Team USA had exhibition matches against Puerto Rico prior to the 2004 Olympics. they outclassed the Latinos during those games but when the Olympics came, Carlos Arroyo and his crew humiliated the Americans in their first meeting.

karim
03-16-2007, 07:37 PM
ya i no they beat them 99-77..........ya ur right ...especially lebanon never do well in tournaments which r not really important....like they lost against iran in WABA 2 years ago and were humiliated in the asian games but im sure they do much better when it really counts like this year,s asia championship i just hope the whole team will be playing including brian beshara hes very important.....he wasnt with them in the last WABA and asian games and it was obvious that it was a different team without him

bobo81
03-16-2007, 08:07 PM
I will be at the games taking photos and posting videos (like I always do for you guys :rolleyes:)

I will probably have to sleep overnight at the stadium to get into the Philippine games since they will be sold out :D

karim
03-16-2007, 11:19 PM
no man i doubt many philipinos will go to qatar....but from what i saw at the asian championship 2005 and the asian games last year ,i assure u their will be many lebanese people .....there is almost as much lebanese living in qatar as in here

Grr_tiger
03-16-2007, 11:34 PM
no man i doubt many philipinos will go to qatar....but from what i saw at the asian championship 2005 and the asian games last year ,i assure u their will be many lebanese people .....there is almost as much lebanese living in qatar as in here

pardon me, but you obviously don't know anything about the millions of overseas working Filipinos living in the Middle East.

ask bobo81, i'm sure he knew about the Al-Emadi invitational last year where the Al-Gharrafa stadium (i hope i'm right) was jampacked with Filipinos.

when it comes to basketball, please don't underestimate our numbers.

see for yourself:

http://gallery.lifeonthespot.com/main.php?g2_itemId=349

bobo81
03-17-2007, 11:48 AM
Yo Karim, I can tell you now that if the national Lebanon team plays JUST any filipino club from the philippines, the stadium will be mostly filipinos. And the ones outside who cannot enter will be mostly filipino. No doubt that Qatar has many Lebanese, but more filipinos will come to the games.

Now imagine if this philippines team that comes here is the first national team :D They will probably kill me for my one seat.

khatib
03-17-2007, 12:34 PM
hey hey hey.....

this thread is not about comparing again, you have 50 million threads like this one you have to bring it here too?

thanks for cooperation !

Grr_tiger
03-17-2007, 08:55 PM
hey hey hey.....

this thread is not about comparing again, you have 50 million threads like this one you have to bring it here too?

thanks for cooperation !

we were just stating facts.

besides, he's the one who started comparing:

no man i doubt many philipinos will go to qatar

bobo81
03-18-2007, 09:56 AM
So only Qatar, Leb, Phil, and Jordan in this tournament? I wish they could bring a Euro side as well.

Grr_tiger
03-19-2007, 04:53 AM
by the way, there will also be a 4-nation invitational tournament here in the Philippines this July as well.

a team from the Korean Basketball League and the Chinese-Taipei NT will be participating in the tournament.

China has been invited and there is a strong chance they will be joining.

daniab
03-19-2007, 11:46 AM
This tournament will be like a scout to those teams,like he said grr_tiger.Fouad abou chacra will name the lebanese players in few days.

bobo81
03-19-2007, 01:44 PM
Let us know the names daniab.

Grr Tiger, It will be interesting seeing Taipei and Phil playing again. Taipei have obviously gotten much better.

Grr_tiger
03-28-2007, 04:45 AM
This tournament will be like a scout to those teams,like he said grr_tiger.Fouad abou chacra will name the lebanese players in few days.

what happened to Paul Coughter?

onono1
03-28-2007, 07:19 AM
Lebanon will play in Qatar from July 5-10 with Qatar,Jordan and Philippines as a preparation for the Asian Championship.

I see there will be a goodwill games involving philippines and 3 other countries from middle east. I hope qatar or lebanon would not bringing in naturalized citizen there or african reinforcements :D :p hehehehehhe.

daniab
03-28-2007, 09:59 AM
what happened to Paul Coughter?

A new coach will be in lebanese NT for men and he will be Fouad abou chacra the riyadi's coach,and he started to named the players and i know he will tell us the lebanese players in week .

karim
03-28-2007, 03:32 PM
dont worry lebanon dont have any naturalized players or african reinforcements....besides vogel.......but u can worry about ur country and definitely about qatar

onono1
03-29-2007, 03:45 AM
dont worry lebanon dont have any naturalized players or african reinforcements....besides vogel.......but u can worry about ur country and definitely about qatar

Hahahahaha, why should i worry about. Definitely im not.:D Im thinking why not philippine basketball officials imitate the ways of qatar. We should acquire the Lopez twins from Stanford. 19 yr olds Brook Lopez, 7-0, 245 lbs and his twin brother Robin Lopez, 7-0, 245 lbs. Do u think they have filipino blood karim? Their surname sounds like filipino too. :p :rolleyes: They are really good athletes. They can run. They both have good ball-handling skills.

Grr_tiger
03-29-2007, 05:06 AM
A new coach will be in lebanese NT for men and he will be Fouad abou chacra the riyadi's coach,and he started to named the players and i know he will tell us the lebanese players in week .

yes i understand that, but why was Paul Coughter replaced?

you obviously had a good performance during the 2006 FIBA World Championships so where is he now?

daniab
03-29-2007, 07:11 AM
yes i understand that, but why was Paul Coughter replaced?

you obviously had a good performance during the 2006 FIBA World Championships so where is he now?

Before Asian olymips games in doha paul coughter want a contra ,let him with lebanese NT after olympics games in Chine 2008,but the lebanese federation didn't accept this and he left lebanese Nt,the lebanese federation replaced coughter by fouad abou chacra,and this last is the most famous coach in lebanon,i hope he will take lebanon to olympic games next year.

karim
03-29-2007, 09:42 AM
coughter was replaced cuz he left lebanon the day they were told they were going to the asian games in doha which was just 1 day b4 the tournament and coughter new they werent gonna have a good performance since there was no training and ali f. and brian beshara were not with the team , ali was injured and brian was in the US......so he thought that if he went and didnt have a good performance they will not renew his contract so he said he wanted his contract renewed before the tournament....but michel tannous refused saying that he will get paid after the tournament and so the coach left....he is a very good coach but wat he did left lebanon embarassed in the asian games and i dt think he deserves to be the coach anymore........As for onono wanting to naturalize players for philippines , i guess the country can only naturalize 1 player cuz only qatar can naturalize as much as they want and no1 accuses them of anything cuz the president of asia is qatari thats why they get away with it...........

onono1
03-29-2007, 11:41 AM
coughter was replaced cuz he left lebanon the day they were told they were going to the asian games in doha which was just 1 day b4 the tournament and coughter new they werent gonna have a good performance since there was no training and ali f. and brian beshara were not with the team , ali was injured and brian was in the US......so he thought that if he went and didnt have a good performance they will not renew his contract so he said he wanted his contract renewed before the tournament....but michel tannous refused saying that he will get paid after the tournament and so the coach left....he is a very good coach but wat he did left lebanon embarassed in the asian games and i dt think he deserves to be the coach anymore........As for onono wanting to naturalize players for philippines , i guess the country can only naturalize 1 player cuz only qatar can naturalize as much as they want and no1 accuses them of anything cuz the president of asia is qatari thats why they get away with it...........

I know karim only 1 player is legally allowed to be naturalized in every country to join a national cage team. U said qatar got away with it because of their president, i think the ball is in the hand of FIBA. That basketball organization should be the one to disqualify country or countries that illegally hiring naturalized players w/c goes beyond the laws or rules of FIBA.

khatib
04-04-2007, 10:07 PM
Lebanon will play in Johns cup and also will play in philippines with RP team after july.

karim
04-04-2007, 10:17 PM
well onono if the power is not totally in the hand of the qatari president y hasnt the qatari team been disqualified yet..........

riyadi
04-19-2007, 09:26 AM
these tournaments doesn't mean anything to Lebanon because it is friendly tournament and the coach will do some tactics with the players and we hope that he can success all the way right what he did with Riyadi

lrangels
05-14-2007, 08:12 PM
I will be at the games taking photos and posting videos (like I always do for you guys :rolleyes:)

I will probably have to sleep overnight at the stadium to get into the Philippine games since they will be sold out :D

They really get sold out?!?!?! I always hear that Filipinos attend the games in masses, but I never imagined it to get that far.

;)

lrangels
05-14-2007, 08:18 PM

That's pretty sad news. Now I know why Coughter wasn't coaching anymore. I hope there would be ways to bring him back in Beirut 'cuz honestly he's a very good coach (I just don't like to hear or read this type of cases happen in basketball). If he said (last year) that he wants to coach in Philippines, I hope they (basketball officials) would consider him.

;)

lrangels
05-14-2007, 08:20 PM
So only Qatar, Leb, Phil, and Jordan in this tournament? I wish they could bring a Euro side as well.

I'm with you on that one. I want to see at least someone from France or Turkey. What do you think man?

;)

bobo81
05-16-2007, 12:40 PM
well onono if the power is not totally in the hand of the qatari president y hasnt the qatari team been disqualified yet..........

Maybe because Qatar is a rich country and are bringing more money into Asian bball. So the federation cant do nothing. I dont know, maybe this the reason. I think Qatar is aware of their dirty doings because they will not look for outside players from now on, they only look at people in their league. One step down lol :p But I agree, they should be punished. But this is asian sports and unfortunatly its really corrupted here.

bobo81
05-16-2007, 12:43 PM
I'm with you on that one. I want to see at least someone from France or Turkey. What do you think man?

;)

Yes that would be cool. And yes when any filipino teams come here the stadium will easily be filled. The mother and papa will stand up and hold two children the whole entire game just to watch it. The other non-filipinos dont do this, they just go home. :)

anti_morales
05-16-2007, 04:15 PM
That's true my friend, my family will have their vacation in canada on May 20 onwards, but not for me, I will go to Ratchaburi Thailand and watch and support RP team. hehehe

They really get sold out?!?!?! I always hear that Filipinos attend the games in masses, but I never imagined it to get that far.

;)

pachador
05-16-2007, 10:42 PM
i thought lithuania will also play in the qatar invitational? or was that in an old tournament??

bobo81
05-18-2007, 03:57 PM
i thought lithuania will also play in the qatar invitational? or was that in an old tournament??

That was the last invitational with Angola and San Miguel RP in it. Angola won over Lith in the finals.

lrangels
05-18-2007, 04:22 PM

Actually it was Latvia who played in the tournament a year ago.

;)

bobo81
05-19-2007, 12:47 PM
^^ Good catch! I cant believe I got those two mixed up with each other...

Wow, Lithuania is going to be hard competition for those guys.

lrangels
05-19-2007, 05:36 PM
^^ Good catch! I cant believe I got those two mixed up with each other...

Wow, Lithuania is going to be hard competition for those guys.

That's ok... both countries start with the letter L and both are from eastern Europe.

;)

saints13
06-09-2007, 10:01 PM
RP team will not participate anymore in the Qatar invitational..

schedules were revised..

they would choose Belgrade and Taipei..

scraping off the Qatar invitational..

bobo81
06-10-2007, 01:17 AM
That sucks...especially for the filipino community here.

Oh well, I think its a good choice because it will be better competition perhaps.

daniab
06-10-2007, 09:02 AM
Quatar tournament will not play,bcz they replaced by " Waba champ " !!

WIZARD
06-23-2007, 11:03 AM
it starts today with 5 teams playing..Qatar,Egypt,Kazalhstan,american team,Algeria...today Qatar plays KAzakhs.

bobo81
06-23-2007, 07:17 PM
Yeah I am still waiting for the scores for Qat vs Kaz and USA vs Egypt

WIZARD
06-23-2007, 10:08 PM
Kazakhstan won Qatar 75-70
Egypt won the american team 84-50

karim
06-23-2007, 11:33 PM
good work kazakhaztan but i hope qatar doesnt lose too much this tournament , than they would go and naturalize more players :eek:

bobo81
06-24-2007, 07:43 AM
LOL Karim :D

I heard that the Kaz Qat game was great but Qat failed to finish at the end...No probs for them, I am just curious for the US game. I wonder which team this is from the US because honestly they must suck. I know Egypt is good, but this is a big butt whipping!

Anyways today's games:

Kazakhastan vs Egypt - 6PM GMT +3
Qatar vs Team USA - 7:30PM GMT +3

daniab
06-24-2007, 08:23 AM
Kazakhstan won Qatar 75-70
Egypt won the american team 84-50

:confused: why they lost??

i know that kazakhstan is not to much good :D

khatib
06-24-2007, 08:34 AM
How are you watching the games ?

WIZARD
06-24-2007, 10:45 AM
The kazakhs are really good team....in the last asian ga,es they showed a great level....against china,,lebanon,,japan,,jordan so i dont think its a surprise..the Qatari team lost before to UAE also.

karim
06-24-2007, 01:50 PM
ya the good teams in asia this year are china,jordan,iran,philippines,lebanon,japan,qatar, kazakhaztan,south korea and taiwan....10 good teams 2 of these teams will be removed in the 2nd round , for sure from group A the weak teams are just UAE,kuwait,india,indonesia,hong kong and syria who will be without their good brazilian players........

WIZARD
06-24-2007, 02:21 PM
ya the good teams in asia this year are china,jordan,iran,philippines,lebanon,japan,qatar, kazakhaztan,south korea and taiwan....10 good teams 2 of these teams will be removed in the 2nd round , for sure from group A the weak teams are just UAE,kuwait,india,indonesia,hong kong and syria who will be without their good brazilian players........

actually Eduardo and Marcelio Are playing..

karim
06-24-2007, 02:37 PM
the only good one is barbosa , the center would help them a bit since they have no1 above 2 meters other than george yahcoub....about eduardo i,ve seen him i think i play better than him..........is the other one besides eduardo playing the 208 center ?

WIZARD
06-24-2007, 10:21 PM
Qatar won the /american team 89-66
kazakhstan won Egypt 53-52

bobo81
06-25-2007, 11:01 AM
This Kazakhstan team must have really really improved, because beating Qatar and Egypt is something you just don't get out of bed and do. I am wondering how their big men are now...maybe a lot of improvement.

And what's up with this American team? They're crap...Perhaps I should really go watch a game and see what the heck is going on. I think I will check out the final day and take some photos.

WIZARD
06-25-2007, 11:37 PM
on the 3rd day.......Qatar lost to Egypt 70-76 so by that Egypt takes its revenge from Qatar...On the other Hand Kazakhstan handed the American team their 3rd lost by beating them 82-64...so the standings by far are
1 Kasakhstan
2 Egypt
3 Qatar
4 USA Team

tommorow will be the semi-finals where Kazakhstan plays USA..and Qatar plays Egypt the winners will play the final game....after tommorow

karim
06-26-2007, 12:17 AM
ya kazakhaztan play like a european team very classical , and i say this again hopefully qatar doesnt have too much time to naturalize before the asian championship starts..........

WIZARD
06-26-2007, 12:38 AM
ya kazakhaztan play like a european team very classical , and i say this again hopefully qatar doesnt have too much time to naturalize before the asian championship starts..........
u know man something interesting came to my mind iam iam almost sure about it...check this out i guess that the kazakh Coach finally found a way to beat this mercenary team..by using a new strategy..in the first game
he started the game with bench players til the 3rd quarter by then the qatari
had a big lead but baaaaaaaam guess what that just vanished...if u notice the qatari team has a big problem always at the End on any game they lose
concentration and consistency..so at the end of the game he used his best players to end the game while the mercenary team was not able to do anything...what u think about that????

karim
06-26-2007, 01:44 AM
man i watched kazakhaztan against lebanon , i dont think their coach is that good cuz they never double teamed khatib , the whole game they were playing all of them against khatib i think he scored like 40pts , they could,ve won more easily had the coach knew how to contain khatib who was the only good player for lebanon this game and against jordan they blew a 7pt lead in the last minute and the coach never called timeout during which jordan were making their run so i got to disagree on this one.......

WIZARD
06-26-2007, 02:09 AM
man i watched kazakhaztan against lebanon , i dont think their coach is that good cuz they never double teamed khatib , the whole game they were playing all of them against khatib i think he scored like 40pts , they could,ve won more easily had the coach knew how to contain khatib who was the only good player for lebanon this game and against jordan they blew a 7pt lead in the last minute and the coach never called timeout during which jordan were making their run so i got to disagree on this one.......

man dont forget that they r young team..and palyed very well against china
the coach needs a time to build a team and as u see the results now..so its paying off 3 winnig streak..u have to give them some credit..about that game against lebanon they won it any way by 5 pts..iam really starting to worry about this team...

karim
06-26-2007, 02:49 AM
my opinion the chances of these teams going to the olympics is
Lebanon 18%
Qatar 16%
Jordan 15%
Iran 13%
Japan 10%
South Korea 8%
Philippines 7%
China 6%
Kazakhaztan 6%
Taiwan 1%

it doesnt take as much time as it looks , i would really see how other people would put their predictions especially the pinoys make sure they add up to 100 though :p

apiSigbinz
06-26-2007, 02:57 AM
Lebanon 18%
Qatar 16%
Jordan 15%
Iran 13%
Japan 10%
South Korea 8%
Philippines 7%
China 6%
Kazakhaztan 6%
Taiwan 1%

it doesnt take as much time as it looks , i would really see how other people would put their predictions especially the pinoys make sure they add up to 100 though :p

yeah i agree... same here... i think this is the right percentages!!!!

RayV
06-26-2007, 05:56 AM
Lebanon 18%
Qatar 16%
Jordan 15%
Iran 13%
Japan 10%
South Korea 8%
Philippines 7%
China 6%
Kazakhaztan 6%
Taiwan 1%

China should be 100% right?? :D

Projectspeed
06-26-2007, 07:59 AM
Here's my take about the percentage of chances:D

Lebanon - 10%
Qatar - 10%
South Korea - 10%
Iran - 10%
Jordan - 10%
Japan - 10%
Taiwan - 10%
Kazakhstan - 10%
Syria - 10%
Philippines - 10%
:D

each of the said 10 teams can beat each other:D

for China - 100% - as being host:D

karim
06-26-2007, 09:58 AM
yes sorry abt that i put 6% as in thats the percentage they can win the whole thing but their already there so i shouldnt put them i,ll divide their 6% along to Taiwan,Kazakhaztan and Philippines 2 extra % for each of thes teams :p syia shouldnt be in the top 9 , their much weaker than than the other teams they have only maadanli the rest of the players suck......

WIZARD
06-28-2007, 12:08 AM
Day 4

Semi finals.....

Qatar 76- Egypt 57 Qatar advances to the finals

kazakhstan beats the American team but they didnt put any score they said its was tight at 85 each til last seconds so Kazakhstan plays Qatar...

bobo81
06-28-2007, 01:55 PM
Kaz beat US I think 76/75...by one point. Don't know much about the game.

The final between Qat & Kaz starts in 2 hrs but I am dead from work, I will just hope they show it on TV. If I see it I will give some updates, just for the heck of it.

WIZARD
06-28-2007, 09:38 PM
Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooW
Kazakhstan is the New champion of qatar tourney after winnig Qatar in the Final game 88-79......I think we might see a new asian powerhouse

WIZARD
06-29-2007, 12:45 AM
so the record goes like this
2003 qatar winnis after defeating jordan in the finals 61-60
iran got 3rd place RP 4th place

2004 Jordan winnis the cup after defeating Egypt by 13 cant remember the score..qatar got 3rd place beating RP

2005 wasnt held

2006 Angola won the tourney after beating latvia 83-77
qatar 3rd place beating RP again

2007 kazakhstan won the turney after beating Qatar 88-79
egypt 3rd ,,usa team 4th...

karim
06-29-2007, 12:48 AM
im happy for the kazakhs very classical and group oriented team , abt qatar it looks like they are weakening , in 2005 during the asian champ. they swept all the teams except the semi final they lost against lebanon.....in 2006 asian games its true they lost just 2 games to south korea and china and finished 2nd but they won the 1/8 final by double overtime and the semi final by 3 so they were lucky to say the least.......anyway theres still 1 month for the asian championship and i hope its not enough time for them to naturalize more players especially if they dont do well at the jones cup next week........

WIZARD
06-29-2007, 12:57 AM
im happy for the kazakhs very classical and group oriented team , abt qatar it looks like they are weakening , in 2005 during the asian champ. they swept all the teams except the semi final they lost against lebanon.....in 2006 asian games its true they lost just 2 games to south korea and china and finished 2nd but they won the 1/8 final by double overtime and the semi final by 3 so they were lucky to say the least.......anyway theres still 1 month for the asian championship and i hope its not enough time for them to naturalize more players especially if they dont do well at the jones cup next week........

the thing is that their coach is new and he needs time its not about players..if u see the record of this tourney qatar won it once only..so this wont give any indication...yes kazakhstan is good but qatar always starts slow..so lets see them in jones cup

interxavierxxx
06-29-2007, 01:37 AM
don't worry mr. Wizard about Jordan and Philippines' lost to Qatar in d past. I saw those games, Jordan didn't have their best players (I think I only saw Najjar or Zaid Al Khas). The only reason why Philippines was beaten is because our Players were predominantly Amatuers. Plus, the two teams didn't have time for practice not to mention JET Lag

WIZARD
06-29-2007, 01:47 AM
don't worry mr. Wizard about Jordan and Philippines' lost to Qatar in d past. I saw those games, Jordan didn't have their best players (I think I only saw Najjar or Zaid Al Khas). The only reason why Philippines was beaten is because our Players were predominantly Amatuers. Plus, the two teams didn't have time for practice not to mention JET Lag

which year ??if u mean 2003 then sam daghlas and enver werent playing..actually they werent in jordan back then..in 2004 we had our full roster..and we beated the best teams then full egypt and full qatar each by 13 pts in semi finals and finals..about najjar maybe u mixed him with some 1 else..najjar is 22 years only and back then he didnt play for the first team..he joind the team later on 2006

interxavierxxx
06-29-2007, 05:43 AM
yup I mean them, sorry about that.

daniab
06-29-2007, 08:57 AM
Seems Kazakhstan will be a strong team in the coming fiba asian champ.

bognut
06-29-2007, 12:00 PM
Seems Kazakhstan will be a strong team in the coming fiba asian champ.

well, even before they are powerhouse in basketball right, Russia recruits players from kazakhstan back when they are part of the USSR...

they are just coming back! this time in Asia!

well where is kazakhstan bracketed with again?

saints13
06-29-2007, 12:17 PM
Kazakhstan has always been underrated :) well, they play accurate basketball hopefully they'll develop some style somehow.

bobo81
06-29-2007, 05:35 PM
I didn't see the game but obviously since Kaz beat Qatar twice now at home that means something is up. Perhaps Kaz will be much tougher for the upcoming competition.

manu_bol
06-29-2007, 06:42 PM
thats what i like about fiba-asia... diversity... you have the chinese guys, the brown men, the arabs, and now the whites... good luck to the kazahks. im actually rooting for them...:)

saints13
07-01-2007, 07:31 AM
Kazakhstan is an integral part of the former Soviet Union, given the time and financing, this team will grow like the Lithuanians, the Serbs, the Montenegrins and the Russians.
They're a European country that got into the borders of Asia. :D

Kings
07-01-2007, 01:04 PM
Semi-Finals
June 27, Kazakhstan 86 - USA 85
Yevgeniy Issakov 34Pts.