• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6'7 Filipino Gian Chiu Stars for Desert Christian Varsity in California

Gian Chiu Stars for Desert Christian Varsity in California

Video clip:

Article:

Gian Chiu is known as the Gentle Giant. Although fierce in size at 6-foot-7, the 18-year old is kind at heart. The Desert Christian senior moved to the United States just two years ago, leaving his family in the Philippines to pursue both his love for basketball, as well as education.

Chiu is a true Student-Athlete. He maintains a 4.65 grade point average, and just helped several of his teammates earn an academic trip to Washington, DC. His parents raised him to put school first, basketball second. And although he's achieved success on the court as the Conquerors leading scorer, his dream is to help others by becoming a doctor.

Chiu was noticed on the basketball courts of his home country by a scout from the NBA's Golden State Warriors. That scout is friends with Desert Christian Assistant Basketball Coach Vern Vegso, and together they helped arrange for Chiu to come to Desert Christian. CIF transfer rules dictated Chiu sit play on the JV team his junior season, but he is making the most of his senior year as a Conqueror.

Recent Game
    The latest Palm Springs area news from The Desert Sun newspaper in the California desert. Coachella Valley photos, obituaries and events calendar.

BERMUDA DUNES - In front of more than 500 fans, the Desert Christian High School boys basketball team stunned Victory League rival Desert Chapel with a thrilling fourth-quarter performance from 6-foot-7 senior Gian Chiu.

The first-year varsity player was giant down the stretch, scoring 14 points in the final quarter to lead the Conquerors to a 68-64 come-from-behind victory.

The victory keeps the Conquerors in the driver's seat toward their first Victory League title since the 2000-2001 season. Desert Christian is 16-3 overall, 8-1 in league play.

"In the second half, we were able to get the ball inside and Gian stepped up," Conquerors coach Don Curci said. "I think that he realized he was a non-factor in the first half and Desert Chapel did a great job on him.

"Both Matt Martinez (12 points,) and Gian (23 points, 12 rebounds) picked it up at the end. Matt was able to create a great passing lane, and Gian was there to put it in."

While the Conquerors erased a 35-30 halftime deficit, it took the entire squad to step up to stop the hot hand of Chapel's Chaz Pio.

The 5-10 senior guard shot from the outside with ease in the first half, rolling up 19 points. However, in the second half he was held to 10 thanks to strong defense from freshman guard Chris Dougherty.

"Every person had a hand in this one," Curci added. "Chris had a big job, and Nick (Law) and Kevin Martin really elevated their game. Matt really played big and never let them lose focus."

With Christian taking an early lead, 20-17 after the first quarter, an athletic Chapel (11-5, 6-2 league) squad went to work behind Pio, Chris Moore (11 points) and Dave Sims (six points, four steals).

Pio landed two of his five 3-pointers in the second quarter to help the Eagles cruise to a 35-27 cushion just before the buzzer. However, the Conquerors answered when Law (13 points, six rebounds) pumped in a 3 as the buzzer sounded to close it to 35-30.

Desert Chapel, which won the first meeting 69-58, continued to dominate in the third quarter, but that's when Desert Christian mounted a comeback.

Pio's off-balance 3-pointer at the end of the third made it 52-41, but the Conquerors went on a 10-4 run in the fourth to close the gap quickly.

"Chaz really didn't see the ball in the second half," said Chapel coach Don Parshall of his floor leader, who finished with a game-high 29 points, including 6 of 7 from the line and three steals. "But it all came down to execution on our part. We just didn't get the ball into the hands of the right guys at the right time.

"It's tough for us anytime to have to play against a kid (Chiu) that size. If we allowed him to get inside, he's going to score."

Parshall also added that in the closing minutes of the game, when Desert Christian tied it at 58-all with three minutes to go, it was a matter of which team wanted it more.

"I'm not sure we really wanted it as much as they did," he said. "They showed tremendous heart and we didn't get everybody into the offense. Everybody has a specific role, and when we've done those things we've been very successful. When we get out of that, it takes us out of our game and we don't play at the same caliber."

Desert Christian's comeback continued when Martin (13 points,eight rebounds) stole the ball and converted for the lead. Chiu's layup made it 62-60. The Conquerors used the clock, got another layup inside by Chiu with 15 seconds to go and two free throws from Martin to seal it.

"It was a great atmosphere," said Chiu after the game. "The crowd really got behind us. They were great."

tnx 2 pach of mypba.com
    <--- science always wins over bullshit --->

any clip during game?

hope he'll be a muscular 6'10 soon!

a potential big man!
    You've got to have it to win it

Comment

Originally posted by bognut
      any clip during game?

any clip during game?

hope he'll be a muscular 6'10 soon!

a potential big man!
      I think japeth is turning 18 and he's only 6-7 though i hav seen his clip hes the tallest and biggest in his team. He won't be able to reach the height of 6-10 and above. Genes factor they said.
      Last edited by Levenspiel; 03-26-2007, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by playmaker
        I think japeth is turning 18 and he's only 6-7 though i hav seen his clip hes the tallest and biggest in his team. He won't be able to reach the height of 6-10 and above. Genes factor they said.
        Perhaps you mean "Gian". I've heard that he's only 17, and that X-rays projected that he might reach 6'10". Either way, at 6'7" and 215 pounds, he's well-built, considering that he was a bit fat when he was still playing for AHS.
        Last edited by Levenspiel; 03-26-2007, 12:50 AM.
        Keep running, big boy.

Comment

2005 Training - Gian Chiu (Youtube Video Clip)

I kept doubting Gian Chiu's ability as a player since he ended up in an NCAA Div. 3 school. I thought that him studying at Oberlin was just an excuse for his lack of basketball skills.

Watching this video, though, it seems the kid does have good coordination & quickness for somebody who is at least 6'7". Plus great training from Kirk Collier. It will be a great loss for Philippine basketball if he ends up being a Doctor instead.

If only he can transplant all those physical gifts into another 6'8" player.
          Philippine Football News on Facebook

rhk111's Military and Arms Page

Comment

Any Latest Update on Gian Chiu? I think he needs to come back in the Philippines, and maybe play for the National Team.

Originally posted by playmaker View Post

Japeth was born on January 25, 1985, and he just turned 24 yrs.old last month.

Comment

the SBP had already communicated with Gian and his family, so it is their call.

last I heard he is doing very good with Academics and there is really a very big chance he could even get a scholarship while getting into a top Medical School in the US which is very hard to get normally.

But he is not doing good with his basketball. The projected playing time was not being given due to his health. There were reports that Gian is still growing but for some reason he is having pains all over his body especially to his joints which was attributed to his growth.
              LABAN KUNG LABAN! KAYA NATIN PILIPINAS!
              Mabuhay ang TEAM PILIPINAS !!!!

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
              THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

i hope Gian is a great multitasker. a doctor and a bball player at the same time.
                did he already say what would be his medical practice?
                atleast Philippines can now have a "Doctor G".
                POLITICS: Old men talk while young men are dying...

Comment

Working...
                X

Debug Information