This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my ideal lineup...

Ray parks ( 1 and 2 spot )- young , versatile , sound fundamentals , sky is the limit man!

Castro (1)- still young , great strength , blazing speed , good range but doesnt take too many shots because his penetrations is so good that he doesnt rely on it.

Norwood- (1,2,3) tall, versatile( play almost any spot whether def or offense ), terrific fundamentals , downside is soft and tentative in offense. But he will be a very good matchup against teams with size or speed.

lassiter- (2,3)very flexible in defense , experience , has to develop more consistent jumpers.

De vance-( 2,3) size , face the basket offense and some post moves , range, needs to more agressive and assertive.

Aguilar-(3,4,5) athletic, long , good shot blocker, decent jumpers from 10 to 15 ( saw him in practice shooting 3s too ), we have to utilize his talent, a georgetown ( john Thompson era ) type game is perfect for him, lots of press, transition baskets. He is a poor mans ben wallace or a bigger version of Jeff Moore. Medyo mahina I.Q

Williams-(3,4) tough , experience , athletic , he is actually a smaller version of japeth. Has to develop his offensive game.

This are my pick as of now.I put premiun on players who can play multiple ppsitions both in offfense and defense) Marcus will eventually be replaced because of his age. I would favor a younger guy( naturalized) that is skilled rather than athletic since we have pinoys who fit that criteria. I would have chosen ryan Reyes but the guy is injury prone. Cabagnot is heady but how old is he? Ross , Ravena are my reserved point guards. For the remaining slots, i need 2 very offense oriented guys who can shoot as well as create and 2 bigs.

Comment

• I do not think gabe is soft he is just passive its more of a negative than a positive for Norwood given his talent but the positives of his passiveness still helps his team Rain or Shine
      To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
      1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by reamily View Post
        I do not think gabe is soft he is just passive its more of a negative than a positive for Norwood given his talent but the positives of his passiveness still helps his team Rain or Shine
        The lack of aggressiveness in his offensive game is what is bothering me. Given the fact that he isn't that physical type of player he has the height and skill set. He has been doing a good job facilitating but I am still waiting for a Gabe-explosion on the offensive end.
        “You don’t have to be a fantastic hero to do certain things – to compete. You can be just an ordinary chap, sufficiently motivated.” - Sir Edmund Hillary

Comment

• 2013 FIBA-ASIA PBA and Smart-Gilas Pilipinas Prep Thread

2011 FIBA-Asia SGP from the dean...looking forward for 2013

There’s absolutely nothing to be ashamed of in Smart Gilas’ fourth place finish at the FIBA-Asia Championships that ended on a low note for the country in Wuhan, China, last Sunday. It was the Philippines’ best showing in the biennial competition – the qualifiers for the Olympics and World Championships – in 24 years and matched the performance in 1987.

Gilas came within a whisker of clinching a spot in next year’s Olympic qualifying tournament for three wildcard tickets to London as it lost a two-point decision to perennial nemesis South Korea in the battle for the bronze. Champion China clinched the Asian slot in the Olympics while runner-up Jordan and South Korea will try to make it to London via the qualifiers. Gilas will advance to the qualifiers if either Jordan or South Korea decides to skip the tournament.

The Philippines hasn’t won the FIBA-Asia crown since coach Ron Jacobs got the job done in 1985 with a lineup that included Hector Calma, Samboy Lim, Allan Caidic and naturalized players Dennis Still and Jeff Moore. Since the triumph, FIBA has limited the recruitment of naturalized players to one per country. In Wuhan, the outstanding naturalized players were Providence College’s Marcus Douthit of the Philippines, DePaul’s Samuel Hoskins of Lebanon and District of Columbia’s Rasheim Wright of Jordan.

The practice of employing naturalized players is now widespread all over the world. The US, in fact, used Nigerian Hakeen Olajuwon to win the gold medal at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics. At the recent Eurobasket Championships, several countries showed up with naturalized players, including winner Spain (Congo’s Serge Ibaka), Germany (Chris Kaman), Finland (Old Dominion’s Gerald Lee although born in Finland), Macedonia (Bo McCalebb of New Orleans), France (Guyane’s Kevin Seraphin) and Croatia (College of Charleston’s Dontaye Draper).

The Wuhan experience was both gratifying and harrowing for Gilas coach Rajko Toroman. Fil-Ams Marcio Lassiter and Chris Lutz were allowed to play starting Gilas’ fourth game against Jordan and it took an overseas phonecall from FIBA secretary-general Patrick Baumann to convince FIBA-Asia officials to flash the green light. No less than SBP president Manny Pangilinan was involved in securing FIBA clearance for the Fil-Ams after a late ambush attempt by FIBA-Asia secretary-general Dato Yeoh Choo Hock of Malaysia and deputy secretary-general Hagop Khajirian of Lebanon.

Gilas displayed championship form in repulsing Jordan, 72-64, Japan, 83-76, and Chinese-Taipei, 95-78, in three of its six wins in the competition. And Gilas went down fighting in bowing to China, 75-60 (without Lassiter and Lutz), Jordan, 75-61, in the semifinals and South Korea, 70-68, in the playoff for third.

Surprisingly, not a single Gilas player was named to the mythical FIBA-Asia first team. Douthit should’ve easily made it, leading the tournament in average points (21.9) and rebounds (12.2). He also ranked second in field goal percentage with .562. Instead, Iran’s NBA player Hamed Haddadi got the nod for the center spot even as his team finished a rung below Gilas. Also chosen for the mythical five were Jordan’s Sam Daghlas, MVP Yi Jianlian of China, Iran’s Samad Nikkah Bahrami and Japan’s Takuya Kawamura.

Obviously, the lack of playing together was a factor that led to Gilas’ collapse, particularly down the stretch where the pressure to win was extremely severe. When all the marbles are on the line, trust in each player by each player is crucial and that’s something only developed from the experience of going through good and bad times. You wonder if Gilas would’ve fared better with Jimmy Alapag, Ranidel de Ocampo and Kelly Williams joining up earlier than later?

What shouldn’t happen is the Philippines giving up on its Olympic dream. The experiment of developing a nucleus from the amateur ranks reinforced by key pros has proved to be a workable solution. With the graduation of Jvee Casio and the others to the PBA, the way is clear for the re-entry of collegiate standouts Aldrech Ramos and Greg Slaughter to the Gilas lineup and the recruitment of Kiefer Ravena, R. R. Garcia and perhaps, Junmar Fajardo. What shouldn’t happen is to make the same mistakes that stalled Gilas’ progress the past few years, particularly in the area of conflicting schedules with the collegiate leagues and the PBA.

FIBA has acknowledged the re-emergence of the Philippines as a power in Asia and it’s something Gilas can build on for the future. FIBA development manager and administrator Zoran Radovic sent this message to Pangilinan at the end of the Wuhan wars: “Congratulations for everything. Players have to get used to pressure and achieving high results and (assuming the) responsibility is not easy. You guys did great and proved that you belong to the top. Do not be disappointed. Congratulate everyone and keep in mind 2013 – this is the one to grab.”

Radovic referred to the next FIBA-Asia Championships whose hosting rights are still up for grabs. Manila could be a candidate. The 2013 edition will be the qualifiers for the 2014 World Championships to be staged in six cities, including Madrid and Barcelona, in Spain. There will be three slots for Asia in the 24-nation World Championships.

Maynilad senior vice president, ABAP secretary-general and PBA alternate governor for Talk ‘N’ Text Patrick Gregorio said Gilas’ losses in Busan and Wuhan to South Korea were particularly painful. “It hurts,” said Gregorio who managed to crack a joke in consolation by mentioning the rhyming jinx of both cities. “Boss MVP is smiling but deep inside, he’s hurting. Imagine four Korean big men fouled out. We won and lost it. Super painful. We missed three free throws in the last 30 seconds.”

Gregorio said a consoling thought was the reaction of several Filipino fans to Gilas’ advance to the semifinals. He quoted a text from a fan who said “I’m basically in tears of joy now … the dream is alive, win or lose, we are already winners in every Filipino’s heart. Laban, Smart Gilas. Mabuhay ang Smart Gilas.” That text message clearly articulated the spirit of Gilas’ campaign in Wuhan.

Comment

• Originally posted by potz05 View Post
            The lack of aggressiveness in his offensive game is what is bothering me. Given the fact that he isn't that physical type of player he has the height and skill set. He has been doing a good job facilitating but I am still waiting for a Gabe-explosion on the offensive end.
            thats make Gabe Norwood a player he is today its just me thats what he contribute best to his team ever since his George Mason days I am much impressed in his showing in Fiba Asia 2009 swat shots shoots well with good shot selection good wing stopper

Comment

• The Philippines should start scouting for players that are willing to be naturalized and then field them as the NT. Twelve players should be enough. There are tons of good NBA, NBDL players who could do with the extra cash.

Comment

• Originally posted by reamily View Post
                thats make Gabe Norwood a player he is today its just me thats what he contribute best to his team ever since his George Mason days I am much impressed in his showing in Fiba Asia 2009 swat shots shoots well with good shot selection good wing stopper
                Ah yeah right, one of the lone bright spots in that Jordan game.

Hahaha Here I go again!
                “You don’t have to be a fantastic hero to do certain things – to compete. You can be just an ordinary chap, sufficiently motivated.” - Sir Edmund Hillary

Comment

• Originally posted by elite.baller View Post
                  The Philippines should start scouting for players that are willing to be naturalized and then field them as the NT. Twelve players should be enough. There are tons of good NBA, NBDL players who could do with the extra cash.
                  Good read.
                  ...to each his own...

Comment

• not possible. only one naturalized player per team per fiba rules

Comment

• Originally posted by kontiki View Post
                      not possible. only one naturalized player per team per fiba rules
                      They don't have to field them to the NT right away. That's why there is something that we call. National pool.

Comment

• For those who support the Smart Gilas PIlipinas Program, you can visit to my blog @ http://sgp2fibaworld2014.blogspot.com/. I have just created it a few minutes ago as a sign for my undying support for our national team. We can exchange insights, thoughts, comments, reactions and everything revolving on our national team. Hoping that this will reach to MVP.
                        No to RACIAL DISCRIMATION!
                        Let's go Smart Gilas Pilipinas to the 27th FIBA Asia Championships and 2014 FIBA World Tournament!!!

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by potz05 View Post
                          They don't have to field them to the NT right away. That's why there is something that we call. National pool.
                          i know. elite said to field all twelve and make them the NT though. not possible

Comment

• it was good while it lasted...

moving on...

Comment

• Originally posted by manu_bol View Post
                              it was good while it lasted...

moving on...
                              Thought you reset the Gilas Standings but as I look at it, it was clear that the 0-0-0 was for Gilas 2.0.

Comment

• In my opinion the Gilas program is a best avenue for the elite players who ages 19-23.. as there are no more fiba sanctioned tournaments for this age group the elite young players will be accustomed to intl ball before they turn pro..

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information