This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RayV View Post
    Yeah, more of being 70% PBA, 30% amateurs or something close to that hehe! Rayray Parks, Greg Slaughter (now), Alex Nuyles and Keifer Ravena impresses me.. It would be more than ok to me if they're the amateurs Gilas brings in.
    IMO, these college standouts you've mentioned, still need to experience becoming a pro and play in the PBA for 1-2 years before competing in the international level!
    Not only does God play dice, but sometimes he throws the dice where we can’t see them.

Comment

Originally posted by Cryotek View Post
      IMO, these college standouts you've mentioned, still need to experience becoming a pro and play in the PBA for 1-2 years before competing in the international level!
      Hehehe... which experience could make them better players? playing in the PBA or sparring with international teams as part of Gilas training... If I am a player, I'll choose the latter! choose wisely!

Comment

Originally posted by RayV View Post
        Hehehe... which experience could make them better players? playing in the PBA or sparring with international teams as part of Gilas training... If I am a player, I'll choose the latter! choose wisely!
        So the experiences that Barroca, Barracael, Tiu, Casio and even the likes of Japeth, Ababou and Ballesteros sparring with international teams comes into fruition in our Wuhan expedition? So for you, why do Toroman used a bunch of PBA players in the crucial and mostly part of every game?
        Not only does God play dice, but sometimes he throws the dice where we can’t see them.

Comment

We've done our best to get good players, here and abroad. We have decent coaches and solid private sector backing in lieu of sufficient government support.

Yet we do not appear to have improved from where we were in international basketball a couple of decades back. And it has become apparent to someone like me who's seen how we have performed in international sports the one lacking characteristic in our athletes - not just in basketball, but in almost every other sport we participate in.

I saw it when Wesley So lost because he started blitzing despite having lots of time on his clock, just because his opponent, who was running out of it, started to do so. I saw it when Ronnie Alcano missed that eight ball on the last rack, eventually failing to advance in the semis of the recently concluded World Cup of Pool. I saw it when Gilas lost to Korea despite leading by eleven at the half.

Perhaps it's a cultural thing, but it is very evident that our Athletes lack MENTAL TOUGHNESS.

We play to the crowd when ahead. We sulk when we're behind. Either way, we lose focus when it's needed most. It might be time we get a sports psychologist for our team. Someone who can teach focus and maintain our athletes' aim in crucial stages of competition.

Comment

MVP, Toroman and SBP have known that the best players in the country are still in the PBA... you could see that even they have only little time to practice ranidel, kelly and jimmy have the bulk of minutes played than other original gilas players... it will be also wiser for sbp to get pba players than all amateur team because SBP wont be needing to send them to abroad for training regularly... with the inclusion of sonny barrios i guess it will be more easy and diplomatic between the pba and the sbp... i just hope that SBP and PBA can work together...

for the line up: theres a strong possibility that ramos and slaughter are in... for ray parks and ravena i guess they need to be included so that they will be exposed to international competition... with regards to Garvo lanete and others they need to earn their spots...

MVP said that they need bigger point guards thus this mean Banchero and Sol Mercado for our future NT?

Comment

Taller Guard get Banchero Stanley Pringle and Michael Williams PG 6'1 then get
              Stephen Holt Jordan Clarkson Chris Ellis Keith Jensen...

MVP vows continued support for Gilas program
              By Nelson Beltran (philstar.com) Updated September 26, 2011 12:58 PM

WUHAN – Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas president Manny V. Pangilinan vowed that his dream of seeing the Philippine basketball team back playing with the world’s best in the Olympics will live on.

The business tycoon hinted he’ll be even more determined to pursue this aspiration with the progress and improvement shown by the national team in the just-concluded FIBA Asia Championship here.

“Whatever it takes. Whether it’s 2012, 2016, 2020 or pag patay na ako (even when I’m dead),” Pangilinan told the Filipino sportswriters at the close of the Wuhan competition last night.

Pangilinan said he promised the same to FIBA president Yvan Mainini and secretary general Patrick Bauhmann in a brief talk moments after Smart Gilas lost the battle for third place to South Korea.

“They were complimentary and encouraging. They told me we 'made some progress, big progress, just keep on doing what you’re doing.' I told them 'we will not lose our dream of one day entering the Olympics,'” said Pangilinan.

“No matter what the people expect, I’m determined to see our support of the program. I’m determined to see one day the Philippines entering the Olympics,” the very supportive Phl cage federation chief added.

He had mixed feelings on Smart Gilas’ fourth-place finish in the 16-nation meet that served as the regional eliminator for the 2012 London Olympics.

“On one hand, (I’m happy) we improved from our Tokushima (ninth) and Tianjin (eighth) showings. It’s a good sign that our program is working. On the other hand, it’s sad we lost our shot at the finals and we lost the fight for third,” he said.

Five minutes away from wrapping up the bronze medal, the Nationals reeled from Cho Sungmin’s endgame explosion and settled for fourth with a heartbreaking 68-70 loss to the Koreans.

Smart Gilas was relegated to the bronze-medal play after yielding to Jordan, 61-75, in the semifinals.

Host China itself found Jordan a tough nut to crack, digging deep to win the championship match, 70-69.

The Philippines finished with six wins against three losses from the eliminations, same with Jordan.

Except for Marcus Douthit and Chris Tiu, all other members of Smart Gilas will join their PBA teams upon their return to Manila.

Pangilinan, however, reiterated the Smart Gilas program will continue.

“We’ll re-organize the program and see whether we can qualify for the 2014 World Championship,” said Pangilinan.

Up in the air is who’ll run the program and who’ll be the players.

“We have to think about the core. I’m not a coach or a player, but I have insights now. We have certain weaknesses that I saw in this tournament that we have to focus on,” said Pangilinan.

He thought the national team would be better with tall guards.

“Our point guards are so small. I’m not saying that our point guards are not good; they’re very good especially Jimmy (Alapag). But I think we need bigger point guards for this team,” he said.

There’s no assurance as well to Rajko Toroman’s tenure as head coach.

“His (Toroman’s) plan is to go back to Serbia to rest and I said go ahead. We talk when you come back,” said Pangilinan.

“There’s no decision yet one way or the other. We have to look what’s good for the team in preparation for 2013,” Pangilinan added.

Comment

Originally posted by elisher View Post

“Our point guards are so small. I’m not saying that our point guards are not good; they’re very good especially Jimmy (Alapag). But I think we need bigger point guards for this team,” he said.
                The time of playing SMALL BALL has got to end with the formation of the next national team. And finally, if the big boss himself sees this, then for sure whoever will be on the coaching staff should realize this now. We've gone on for almost 2 decades playing with point guards and shooting guards who stand as short as 5'8" and no more than 6'2"..and as we have seen time and time again no matter how good they are it will never win you the gold medal in top asian competition. High priority must be made in searching for guards who are 6'5" to 6'6" who are versatile, young guys like Chris Ellis who have huge potential. Strong, tall and aggressive point guards like Stanley Pringle, would more than match up to the Daghlas' and Khamrany's of asia. A tall 6'7 to 6'8" small forward who can shoot, penetrate and handle the ball well, someone like Stanhardinger, who can match up well with the Abbas's and bahrami's out there.

I mean the talent is out there, SBP has got to go all out to convince these young players the worth of playing for their mother's home country, and combine these guys with the best of the PBA and Douthit or another dominant naturalized center and keep them together for a couple of years and we will be in the top 3 in asia no doubt.

Future starting lineup for 2012-2013:

C- Douthit-6'11"
                PF-J. Aguilar-6'9"
                SF-Stanhardinger-6'8"
                SG-C. Ellis-6'6"
                PG- S. Pringle-6'1
                Originally posted by PeeZones
                Kai is a top ten lottery pick come draft day and the best team for him is the spurs...Kai is way more skilled OFFENSIVELY than duncan, yao, aldridge, kp. etc..Kai is way better offensively than Porzingis by a mile...Kareem isnt really way far than Kai..decent bball IQ for both MJ and Kobe but Kai belongs to the highly skilled and high IQ players...I see talent clearly and they cant.

Comment

Having a small quick guard is an advantage but we must have also a good tall point guard if there's a call

line up versatility lng
                  To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
                  1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

For FIBA Asia 2013 I'll go for this line up if Possible

C Marcus Dauthit
                    C Greg Slaughter
                    C/F Junmar Fajardo
                    PF Japeth Aguilar
                    SF Christian Standhardinger
                    SF Jay Washington
                    SF Joe De Vance
                    SG Ray Parks
                    SG James Yap
                    PG Gabe Norwood
                    PG Chris Banchero
                    PG Keifer Ravena

Or the lineup will depend who will play well come 2012 PBA season plus the best amateurs and Filams available

Comment

• Fantasy Line up

Since it is a make your own fantasy line-up. Here is mine:

Jason Castro - PG
                      Ray Parks - SG
                      Joe Davance - SF
                      Junmar Fajardo - PF
                      Marcus Douthit - C

Bench:

Kiefer Ravena - PG
                      Ryan Reyes - SG
                      Kelly Williams - SF
                      Japeth Aguilar - PF
                      Greg Slaughter - C

Marcio Lassiter
                      James Yap

I don't know much of the fil-fors that I usually see in the forums so I guess I go for a hard-nosed athletic team that can play multiple positions, can defend and can help defend others if necessary, penetrate, shoot the ball inside and out. It's a combination of youth and experienced players.
                      “You don’t have to be a fantastic hero to do certain things – to compete. You can be just an ordinary chap, sufficiently motivated.” - Sir Edmund Hillary

Comment

• Originally posted by potz05 View Post
                        Since it is a make your own fantasy line-up. Here is mine:

Jason Castro - PG
                        Ray Parks - SG
                        Joe Davance - SF
                        Junmar Fajardo - PF
                        Marcus Douthit - C

Bench:

Kiefer Ravena - PG
                        Ryan Reyes - SG
                        Kelly Williams - SF
                        Japeth Aguilar - PF
                        Greg Slaughter - C

Marcio Lassiter
                        James Yap

I don't know much of the fil-fors that I usually see in the forums so I guess I go for a hard-nosed athletic team that can play multiple positions, can defend and can help defend others if necessary, penetrate, shoot the ball inside and out. It's a combination of youth and experienced players.
                        i like the balance of veterans and potentially good players (Ravena and Parks). However, in that line-up i see the very young ones being the 11th and 12th players (or even the reserves, then add a Norwood + Casio) and will be only there for developmental purposes. All in all, that's a pretty stacked lineup.
                        If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Comment

• Originally posted by durden_tyler View Post
                          i like the balance of veterans and potentially good players (Ravena and Parks). However, in that line-up i see the very young ones being the 11th and 12th players (or even the reserves, then add a Norwood + Casio) and will be only there for developmental purposes. All in all, that's a pretty stacked lineup.

Why am I having a wishful thinking of having Jason Castro and Ryan Reyes playing for our NT?

I Just like their potential in an international game.

Castro - can blow past any PG's out there for sure though I know the likes of Daglhes will only force their heft on him but still.. Offense.

Reyes - Can defend a bigger 2 like Wright and yet can be an effective perimeter shooter complimenting Castro.

Hahaha.. Just noticed I'm already preparing for Jordan. Hahahahaha
                          “You don’t have to be a fantastic hero to do certain things – to compete. You can be just an ordinary chap, sufficiently motivated.” - Sir Edmund Hillary

Comment

• From what i see unlike in 2009 and 2011 where the Philippines rely on its front court to earn tough wins in fiba asia.. just like in 2007 it will shift again to our guards..
                            potz is right he is preparing to Jordan who0 boast the best back court combination in all of Asia

a title that we thought we have but since 2007 prove us wrong
                            To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
                            1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

• I hope my wish list would somewhat do come true. Though the problems that my team would be having is getting.

Joe Davance
                              Ray Parks
                              Junmar Fajardo
                              James Yap

Who are all in time of preparation would be in the SMC umbrella.

Comment

• I hope all PBA Team owners would unite particularly those from between the SMC group and the Pangilinan group, If that can be achieved, then we may have the strongest team in the next fiba asia.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information