PDA

View Full Version : Philippine PBA Trades, Releases, Sign-ups, Rumours (vol. III)

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

durden_tyler
10-21-2011, 12:27 AM
I think they should if they can. The League needs to up they're team count so that more players can play in the League most especially the older ones that can still play and the rookies and free agents that wasn't given a chance to play.

Again finances, can the new franchise afford the fee?

durden_tyler
10-21-2011, 12:36 AM
mrs patricia hizon said javale might watch the first game today(TnT vs barako)

hmm... javale to TnT might come true...

McGee, if there was no lockout, is due to earn $2.3M in 2011/12 and $3.4M in 2012/2013 for the Washington Wizards.

With the NBA lockout in full swing, McGee said expressed openness about the possibility of playing in the Philippines.

“It’s a great idea, but I don’t know for sure,” he said. “If I play for another country, the Philippines would definitely be a consideration.”

Curiously, the PBA Commissioner’s Cup will allow teams to hire imports without regard to height, making McGee and other big NBA stars eligible. But finances might be a consideration, as the PBA caps the allowed salary for imports at a rate much lower than what NBA stars would make elsewhere.

And how much does an import cost? It ranges from $14,000 to $16,000. i believe this is per month. So let's say it's roughly over a hundred thousand dollars per year-- still very short by NBA standards.

Now there's 2 things going for TNT/MVP:
First, the lockout. 2 weeks of games has been cancelled and the three-day marathon with a mediator couldn't "unlock" the season, so most likely we don't have NBA until Christmas/January.

Second, it's MVP. Side deals abound, there's really no question he can afford it (and not get caught) But still, for a minor draw like McGee, is it worth it?

The finances just does NOT add up.

nardy
10-21-2011, 01:01 AM
Again finances, can the new franchise afford the fee?

not only that can these teams actually have the financial strength and patience to maintain a PBA team.

Its not that simple, its a very expensive endeavor.

There is a large disparity between the salary of a PBA player and a D-League player. That's why a number of Shopinas players who had actually already secured contracts from different D-League Teams jumped on the opportunity to get into this "expansion" PBA Team.

Another thing PBA Player Contracts are usually guaranteed which means even if it off-season and the player does not play or practice with the team, he still gets a monthly salary. While in PBA D-League the players are only under contract as long as there is a tournament that's on-going.

nardy
10-21-2011, 01:06 AM
McGee, if there was no lockout, is due to earn $2.3M in 2011/12 and $3.4M in 2012/2013 for the Washington Wizards.

With the NBA lockout in full swing, McGee said expressed openness about the possibility of playing in the Philippines.

And how much does an import cost? It ranges from $14,000 to $16,000. i believe this is per month. So let's say it's roughly over a hundred thousand dollars per year-- still very short by NBA standards.

Now there's 2 things going for TNT/MVP:
First, the lockout. 2 weeks of games has been cancelled and the three-day marathon with a mediator couldn't "unlock" the season, so most likely we don't have NBA until Christmas/January.

Second, it's MVP. Side deals abound, there's really no question he can afford it (and not get caught) But still, for a minor draw like McGee, is it worth it?

The finances just does NOT add up.

Hey DT .... is it just wrong grammar or did I read it right that JaVale really said:

"If I play for another country, the Philippines would definitely be a consideration."

I don't want to do a spin on it but it sounds more like about playing for the country and not in the country (at the PBA). :cool:

hmmmm .... maybe wrong grammar lang ;)

durden_tyler
10-21-2011, 01:31 AM
Hey DT .... is it just wrong grammar or did I read it right that JaVale really said:

"If I play for another country, the Philippines would definitely be a consideration."

I don't want to do a spin on it but it sounds more like about playing for the country and not in the country (at the PBA). :cool:

hmmmm .... maybe wrong grammar lang ;)

Well, actually, if he really "wants" it he can play FOR the Philippines. Also, take note i was reacting to McGee as TNT import.

The McGee as NT player is another beast of course. After all, MVP can throw all the $$$ at him and we'd have no problem with salary cap and all :D

nardy
10-21-2011, 01:49 AM
Well, actually, if he really "wants" it he can play FOR the Philippines. Also, take note i was reacting to McGee as TNT import.

The McGee as NT player is another beast of course. After all, MVP can throw all the $$$ at him and we'd have no problem with salary cap and all :D

Kasi nga as I said nothing is impossible.

It is said JaVale was really dissapointed from being cutted as part of the last Team USA that gone to FIBA World Turkey when that team was really lacking True Centers and he was available. Coach K decided to go "small" and had Kevin Love and Lamar Odom play Center with Tyson Chandler on the bench.

durden_tyler
10-21-2011, 01:54 AM
Kasi nga as I said nothing is impossible.

It is said JaVale was really dissapointed from being cutted as part of the last Team USA that gone to FIBA World Turkey when that team was really lacking True Centers and he was available. Coach K decided to go "small" and had Kevin Love and Lamar Odom play Center with Tyson Chandler on the bench.

Can we afford him? ;) And is he going to be worth it?

Am pretty sure he's worth what, double-triple of what we are paying to Douhtit?

Marketing wise this is excellent, after all he is a legit NBA player. However, this goes against the ideals of lots of FIBA-ball lovers.

McGee does NOT have a jumpshot.
McGee does NOT even know how to shoot from the 4.5m line (62 per cent for his NBA career)

Then again, FIBA-ball is not the perfect system to win FIBA tournaments :D So maybe, just maybe he can fit (Just make sure Toroman is not the coach because he'd be misused a la Japeth :D)

nardy
10-21-2011, 02:07 AM
Can we afford him? ;) And is he going to be worth it?

Am pretty sure he's worth what, double-triple of what we are paying to Douhtit?

Marketing wise this is excellent, after all he is a legit NBA player. However, this goes against the ideals of lots of FIBA-ball lovers.

McGee does NOT have a jumpshot.
McGee does NOT even know how to shoot from the 4.5m line (62 per cent for his NBA career)

Then again, FIBA-ball is not the perfect system to win FIBA tournaments :D So maybe, just maybe he can fit (Just make sure Toroman is not the coach because he'd be misused a la Japeth :D)

as long as you can justify it to MVP, he is willing to spend.

Marketing wise, I read he is techie and would be an asset to the promotion of cellphone and internet broadband services of SMART. Which is what SMART already did.

If ever, he could be a perfect replacement upon Marcus Douthit's retirement from the National Team because at 21 years old he's very young. By that time, he could have become a more all-around player and had improved his shooting from the perimeter and at the free throw line.

durden_tyler
10-21-2011, 02:26 AM
as long as you can justify it to MVP, he is willing to spend.

Marketing wise, I read he is techie and would be an asset to the promotion of cellphone and internet broadband services of SMART. Which is what SMART already did.

If ever, he could be a perfect replacement upon Marcus Douthit's retirement from the National Team because at 21 years old he's very young. By that time, he could have become a more all-around player and had improved his shooting from the perimeter and at the free throw line.

Again, is he worth it? He's due to make what? Around the mid-level after the lockout? Is he the right investment at that price? Meaning, his type of game does not really suit the international style so really, it's a bit of a waste of money considering we are not getting a superduperstar...

But yeah, if Chot is going to be the coach in the coming years.. Maybe maybe his talent is maximized...

But at 50M pesos per year? Ugh. That's our entire program right there.

nardy
10-21-2011, 02:43 AM
Again, is he worth it? He's due to make what? Around the mid-level after the lockout? Is he the right investment at that price? Meaning, his type of game does not really suit the international style so really, it's a bit of a waste of money considering we are not getting a superduperstar...

But yeah, if Chot is going to be the coach in the coming years.. Maybe maybe his talent is maximized...

But at 50M pesos per year? Ugh. That's our entire program right there.

However if like other NBA players where salary is not an issue and just the opportunity to play at the Olympics and World Championship as the incentive and what's just needed is the required DISABILITY INSURANCE.

He'll actually play for free as a National Player ...... having a guaranteed contract would have his NBA Team pay for his salary.

As I said since we still have Marcus, its a no rush thing as we can officially try to secure JaVale when he matures in a few years and more importantly improve his game. You just have to find the right "kiliti", JaVale's weakness is that you make him feel important and famous and its much easier to deal with him. But of course coaching him is another thing as I also heard he can be "problematic" at times.

durden_tyler
10-21-2011, 02:44 AM
However if like other NBA players where salary is not an issue and just the opportunity to play at the Olympics and World Championship as the incentive and what's just needed is the required DISABILITY INSURANCE.

He'll actually play for free as a National Player ......

As I said since we still have Marcus, its a no rush thing as we can officially try to secure JaVale when he matures in a few years and more importantly improve his game. You just have to find the right "kiliti", JaVale's weakness is that you make him feel important and famous and its much easier to deal with him. But of course coaching him is another thing as I also heard he can be "problematic" at times.

i am thinking of the worst-case of course (That we have to pay him) but if it's just insurance and other perks. Well then. He's more than welcome :)

nardy
10-21-2011, 02:52 AM
i am thinking of the worst-case of course (That we have to pay him) but if it's just insurance and other perks. Well then. He's more than welcome :)

Let's just see ....

as of now my take is that's much easier to get him to play for the National Team than for him to play at the PBA due to the current salary cap.

Now back to the programming.

What do you think is the kind of upgrading which coach Siot is talking about with regards to Ginebra?

On the reported Samigue Emman-Magi Sison trade. For me it would open the opportunity for Hans Thiele to finally show at Alaska that he could contribute but Emman would not anyway become a factor in changing the fate of Shopinas. Magi would just take the seat of Thiele on the Alaska Bench but do wish he is given a chance to develop.

durden_tyler
10-21-2011, 03:06 AM
Let's just see ....

as of now my take is that's much easier to get him to play for the National Team than for him to play at the PBA due to the current salary cap.

Now back to the programming.

What do you think is the kind of upgrading which coach Siot is talking about with regards to Ginebra?

On the reported Samigue Emman-Magi Sison trade. For me it would open the opportunity for Hans Thiele to finally show at Alaska that he could contribute but Emman would not anyway become a factor in changing the fate of Shopinas. Magi would just take the seat of Thiele on the Alaska Bench but do wish he is given a chance to develop.

i expect them to raid the Barako Bulls at around the mid-part of the conference :D

potz05
10-21-2011, 03:13 AM
i expect them to raid the Barako Bulls at around the mid-part of the conference :D

You becha! Haha.. Bye bye Maliksi and Ababou.. :p :D

grunge_act
10-21-2011, 03:33 AM
You becha! Haha.. Bye bye Maliksi and Ababou.. :p :D

I thought they were finally going for bigs? There were rumors pointing to Dorian Peña and Mick Penissi...

killmebusy
10-21-2011, 04:24 AM
i just hope the bully trades would stop...if SMC wants to trade they should do it fairly. barako and powerade should really stop agreeing to lopsided deals...they have a good thing going, it's time for them to rise to the top and try to crush the mvp and smc teams...

durden_tyler
10-21-2011, 05:38 AM
i just hope the bully trades would stop...if SMC wants to trade they should do it fairly. barako and powerade should really stop agreeing to lopsided deals...they have a good thing going, it's time for them to rise to the top and try to crush the mvp and smc teams...

It takes two to tango. And well, takes a lot of cash for one to agree to dance :D

acklium
10-21-2011, 05:45 AM
It takes two to tango. And well, takes a lot of cash for one to agree to dance :D

petron + barako bull
and i hope this will not be push through..

rspk
10-22-2011, 12:10 AM
i have a feeling that Maliksi or Ababou will be traded before the season ends..

I hope not. not at least this conference. :D

Silent Killer
10-22-2011, 02:01 PM
From Twitter:

Fidel Mangonon III (@fmango)
Posted Saturday 22nd October 2011 from Twitlonger

Someone tweeted me to ask if this trade rumor was true. Ang sagot ko hindi ko alam pero ang alam ko walang pasok sa PBA ofc bukas kasi Sunday ;-) -- "PETRON GETS JIMBO AQUINO, 2012 SECOND ROUND PICK OF BB AND FUTURE PICK OF GINEBRA, BARAKO BULL GETS YANCY DE OCAMPO, MIKE CORTEZ AND PETRON'S FUTURE PICK, GINEBRA GETS NONOY BACLAO AND DORIAN PENA! TRADE WILL BE SUBMITTED TO THE COMMISIONER'S OFFICE TOMORROW MORNING FOR APRROVAL."

Summarize:
Petron will get
Jimbo Aquno
2012 2nd round pick of Barako bull
Future pick of Ginebra

Barako Bull will get
Yancy De Ocampo
Mike Cortez
Future Pick of Petron

BGK will get
Nonoy Baclao
Dorian Pena

If this trade pushes thru then
coach ato will get his wish of getting the service of jimbo aquino.

Barako Bull will be loaded at PG slot with addition of cortez and yancy de ocampo add's ceiling. Hope Yancy will shine again under coach junel Baculi.

BGK will be happy to have baclao and Pena. They badly needed big men.

Your reaction guys of this possible trade? :rolleyes:

a_ron
10-22-2011, 03:10 PM
From Twitter:

Fidel Mangonon III (@fmango)
Posted Saturday 22nd October 2011 from Twitlonger

Someone tweeted me to ask if this trade rumor was true. Ang sagot ko hindi ko alam pero ang alam ko walang pasok sa PBA ofc bukas kasi Sunday ;-) -- "PETRON GETS JIMBO AQUINO, 2012 SECOND ROUND PICK OF BB AND FUTURE PICK OF GINEBRA, BARAKO BULL GETS YANCY DE OCAMPO, MIKE CORTEZ AND PETRON'S FUTURE PICK, GINEBRA GETS NONOY BACLAO AND DORIAN PENA! TRADE WILL BE SUBMITTED TO THE COMMISIONER'S OFFICE TOMORROW MORNING FOR APRROVAL."

Summarize:
Petron will get
Jimbo Aquno
2012 2nd round pick of Barako bull
Future pick of Ginebra

Barako Bull will get
Yancy De Ocampo
Mike Cortez
Future Pick of Petron

BGK will get
Nonoy Baclao
Dorian Pena

If this trade pushes thru then
coach ato will get his wish of getting the service of jimbo aquino.

Barako Bull will be loaded at PG slot with addition of cortez and yancy de ocampo add's ceiling. Hope Yancy will shine again under coach junel Baculi.

BGK will be happy to have baclao and Pena. They badly needed big men.

Your reaction guys of this possible trade? :rolleyes:

Fair enough,but feeling ko c Artadi will be Traded again.

cutee_cute2
10-23-2011, 08:16 AM
watch PBA games live online!!!

oct 23 - 4:00 pm meralco vs petron
- 6:15 pm ROS vs alaska

here's the link:
http://stariray.info/pba-meralco-bolts-vs-petron-blaze-boosters-october-23-2011-live-streaming

Buenafine
10-24-2011, 04:10 PM
From @snowbadua's tweets, it looks like Sonny Thoss will be traded?

Skyline
10-24-2011, 04:12 PM
To Meralco please....

ricodgame
10-24-2011, 08:07 PM
if that happens then ALASAKA will now be known as Alaska Eagles(2002 ADMU)

Villanueva
Tenorio
Wesley Gonzales
JC Intal
Paolo Bugia

they just need to trade:
Marnel Baracael and Cyrus Baguio for Rich Alvarez and Larry Fonacier
Sam Eman for Doug Kramer

a_ron
10-24-2011, 10:41 PM

Villanueva
Tenorio
Wesley Gonzales
JC Intal
Paolo Bugia

they just need to trade:
Sam Eman for Doug Kramer

Eric Salamat is also an Atenean.Alaska Eagles na nga.

killmebusy
10-25-2011, 12:35 AM

Villanueva
Tenorio
Wesley Gonzales
JC Intal
Paolo Bugia

they just need to trade:
Sam Eman for Doug Kramer

IIRC, kramer and intal weren't in that 2002 title squad of joel banal yet...i might be wrong though...gec chia, epok quimpo, sonny tadeo, magnum membrere and ford arao to complete the lineup. hahaha...just realized banal is also the coach now of alaska.

fordmo47
10-25-2011, 01:43 AM
IIRC, kramer and intal weren't in that 2002 title squad of joel banal yet...i might be wrong though...gec chia, epok quimpo, sonny tadeo, magnum membrere and ford arao to complete the lineup. hahaha...just realized banal is also the coach now of alaska.

Kramer and Intal are part of of the 2002 Ateneo Blue Eagles but were benchwarmers since this was their first year in the UAAP.

reamily
10-25-2011, 02:10 AM
good trade for Alaska very great move for Ginebra if that trade push thru

Sonny Thoss is 1000% better than Eric Menk at this time:eek:

Enrico although not so stellar in Alaska stint will be good big guy in a running alaska team which Banal want to emphasize two proven solid guys who is trusted by banal for a very good big man I an say push it as I never see anything from Ginebra roster worth of a kicker and we do have a lot of players in the lineup..

kerouac82
10-25-2011, 02:50 AM

Technically, Bugia was not part of the 2002 champion team as he suffered a knee injury in the PBL, triggering the re-activation of Tadeo who was by then gainfully employed.

capitantiago
10-25-2011, 03:04 AM
Technically, Bugia was not part of the 2002 champion team as he suffered a knee injury in the PBL, triggering the re-activation of Tadeo who was by then gainfully employed.

I thought Bugia was part of that team.

potz05
10-25-2011, 03:07 AM
I thought Bugia was part of that team.

I was thinking of the same. That was a formidable front line in Alvarez, Villanueva and Bugia.

capitantiago
10-25-2011, 03:13 AM
I was thinking of the same. That was a formidable front line in Alvarez, Villanueva and Bugia.

Yes. They were sharing the frontcourt for that title team.

kerouac82
10-25-2011, 03:19 AM
Yes. They were sharing the frontcourt for that title team.

Both Bugia and Membrere were sidelined in the pre-season. Membrere had an ACL tear while Bugs most likely had the same injury. Tadeo had been off the team for some time then, but was called back to duty after Bugs was injured. Bugia was part of the team in 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, and 2004. He was a classmate in one of my Java classes and was a pretty good programmer.

Membrere's injury gave Gec Chia and Larry Fonacier more playing time, paving the way for the Chia buzzer-beater and the twin blocks by Larry on Cardona in the finals.

capitantiago
10-25-2011, 03:25 AM
Both Bugia and Membrere were sidelined in the pre-season. Membrere had an ACL tear while Bugs most likely had the same injury. Tadeo had been off the team for some time then, but was called back to duty after Bugs was injured. Bugia was part of the team in 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, and 2004. He was a classmate in one of my Java classes and was a pretty good programmer.

Membrere's injury gave Gec Chia and Larry Fonacier more playing time, paving the way for the Chia buzzer-beater and the twin blocks by Larry on Cardona in the finals.

okay, sabi mo eh, bro. :)

iandi_dunka
10-25-2011, 04:06 AM
hmmm whats happening..

shopinas = La Salle

alaska = Ateneo

:P

killmebusy
10-25-2011, 05:41 AM
Kramer and Intal are part of of the 2002 Ateneo Blue Eagles but were benchwarmers since this was their first year in the UAAP.

really? i thought the rookies of ateneo that year were only escalona and arao...anyway i do hope banal would somehow shape alaska back into contendership with this impending trade. so somehow the jr reyes for kramer and vanlandingham deal should also be explored as well as the baguio-simon deal. they still need to beef up their outside shooting.

capitantiago
10-25-2011, 05:49 AM
really? i thought the rookies of ateneo that year were only escalona and arao...anyway i do hope banal would somehow shape alaska back into contendership with this impending trade. so somehow the jr reyes for kramer and vanlandingham deal should also be explored as well as the baguio-simon deal. they still need to beef up their outside shooting.

init mo ke simon a. :)
can baguio and james yap co-exist? i highly doubt about that.

kerouac82
10-25-2011, 06:20 AM

Arao was recruited in 2003 and his last year of eligibility was 2007, the year Jervy Cruz won MVP. Escalona was one year ahead and played his last year in 2006 along with Intal and Kramer.

killmebusy
10-25-2011, 09:42 AM
init mo ke simon a. :)
can baguio and james yap co-exist? i highly doubt about that.

coz alaska needs outside shooting...badly. :D
probably they can...we'll never know until they try..hehe

capitantiago
10-25-2011, 12:50 PM
coz alaska needs outside shooting...badly. :D
probably they can...we'll never know until they try..hehe

you want outside shooting? reactivate rodesendo gomez! :D

shootingbwakaw
10-25-2011, 11:40 PM
From @snowbadua's tweets, it looks like Sonny Thoss will be traded?

it looks like Alaska will be disbanding? if true, they're doing the classic moves of a team about to sell its franchise.

nardy
10-27-2011, 09:22 AM
http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/1521950252/Mango_83D_small_normal.jpg
thepbaologist (http://twitter.com/#%21/thepbaologist) D'PBAologist-uknowme
PBA active roster changes: Barako -- Gatumbato for Najorda; TNT -- Oreta, Membrere for @JAlapag3 (http://twitter.com/#%21/JAlapag3), @rich_alvarez (http://twitter.com/#%21/rich_alvarez); @lamont500 (http://twitter.com/#%21/lamont500) now UFAWR2S
14 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/thepbaologist/status/129483556828348416)

Dunno wat's Najorda's real status. All I rmember is he dangerously fell to d flr face 1st in their last gm. He walked it off that time tho.
8 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/thepbaologist/status/129485473814020096)

UFAWR2RS = Unrestricted Free Agent With Right to Receive Salary
6 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/thepbaologist/status/129486018851241985)

bognut
10-27-2011, 10:11 AM

meaning they can receive offers from other teams right?

DS_42
10-27-2011, 10:19 AM
PBA active roster changes: Barako -- Gatumbato for Najorda; TNT -- Oreta, Membrere for @JAlapag3 (http://twitter.com/#%21/JAlapag3), @rich_alvarez (http://twitter.com/#%21/rich_alvarez); @lamont500 (http://twitter.com/#%21/lamont500) now UFAWR2S
14 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/thepbaologist/status/129483556828348416)

Dunno wat's Najorda's real status. All I rmember is he dangerously fell to d flr face 1st in their last gm. He walked it off that time tho.
8 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/thepbaologist/status/129485473814020096)

6 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/thepbaologist/status/129486018851241985)

Did I get this right? Alapag is now an UNreistricted Free Agent?

ricodgame
10-27-2011, 10:24 AM
Did I get this right? Alapag is now an UNreistricted Free Agent?

nope it is for lamont waters i believe.

Is Rich Alvarez injured?

DS_42 Dynamite Danny might play this friday.

DS_42
10-27-2011, 11:04 AM
nope it is for lamont waters i believe.

Is Rich Alvarez injured?

DS_42 Dynamite Danny might play this friday.

Great news! thanks rico

ballboy17
10-27-2011, 10:25 PM
good trade for Alaska very great move for Ginebra if that trade push thru

Sonny Thoss is 1000% better than Eric Menk at this time:eek:

Enrico although not so stellar in Alaska stint will be good big guy in a running alaska team which Banal want to emphasize two proven solid guys who is trusted by banal for a very good big man I an say push it as I never see anything from Ginebra roster worth of a kicker and we do have a lot of players in the lineup..

any updates on this trade???

reamily
10-27-2011, 11:59 PM

whose pba manger in the right state of mind that will sign Charles Waters for basketball purposes..

modelling pwede pa:eek::cool:

JSev24
10-30-2011, 03:23 PM
Guys, who is this mystery guy #40 who played for PBB during garbage time versus Powerade? I thought he was a towel boy/utility man. :p;)

a_ron
10-30-2011, 03:33 PM
Guys, who is this mystery guy #40 who played for PBB during garbage time versus Powerade? I thought he was a towel boy/utility man. :p;)

I stopped watching the game when it is clear that powerade pocketed that game.But want to guess the player u are referring is Alex Duruelo a former UP maroons played along with Nestor Davis with the 3 La salle transferre.

Beastly
10-30-2011, 03:41 PM

Yes but do you think Jimmy will accept other team's offer?

a_ron
10-30-2011, 03:56 PM
Yes but do you think Jimmy will accept other team's offer?

Try to ask LJ..lol.

nardy
10-30-2011, 04:54 PM
whose pba manger in the right state of mind that will sign Charles Waters for basketball purposes..

modelling pwede pa:eek::cool:

well Buddy Encarnado did with Sta Lucia and right now by Aboy Castro of Talk N Text

That is one of the conditions and perks in the contract of Kelly Williams. Its a package deal kind of arrangement. If you get Kelly, you should also sign-up his brother-in-law Waters and even if you don't play him, Charles should still be paid thus the term "Unrestricted Free Agent With Right to Receive Salary"

We know this happened in the past with Sonny Jaworski with his son Dudut. It was absurd with the fact that Dudut receives double the salary of "star point guard" Bal David. Well that's how basketball politics works in the PBA. Now you have Marc playing for his dad Ato in Petron. Then not too long ago, Jimmy Alapag asked Talk N Text to draft his "uncle" Kevin White.

Pilyong Husband
10-30-2011, 05:27 PM
well Buddy Encarnado did with Sta Lucia and right now by Aboy Castro of Talk N Text

That is one of the conditions and perks in the contract of Kelly Williams. Its a package deal kind of arrangement. If you get Kelly, you should also sign-up his brother-in-law Waters and even if you don't play him, Charles should still be paid thus the term "Unrestricted Free Agent With Right to Receive Salary"

We know this happened in the past with Sonny Jaworski with his son Dudut. It was absurd with the fact that Dudut receives double the salary of "star point guard" Bal David. Well that's how basketball politics works in the PBA. Now you have Marc playing for his dad Ato in Petron. Then not too long ago, Jimmy Alapag asked Talk N Text to draft his "uncle" Kevin White.

Meritocracy gives way to nepotism. Happens often in business, and to a certain extent, sports as well. Sad but true.

blackninja
10-31-2011, 10:17 PM

nice for our neighbor Axel.Finally! I wish Him goodluck!:D

Jordan Bruiseter
11-07-2011, 01:16 PM
Anyone know what the PBA meeting at Shangri-la last Saturday was about?

Cryotek
11-11-2011, 01:18 PM
PBA Trade Rumors: “BREWING” yet “LOGICAL”

by Brian Yalung

Manila, Philippines – For the past weeks, we have been hearing of a blockbuster trade that has been on and off. There were a lot of protagonists in this one but perhaps the most glaring was the rumor about Alaska and Ginebra trading players.

The names of Sonny Thoss, Enrico Villanueva and JC Intal are the leading names abuzz and today through Twitter, Atty. Noli Eala made a big tweet that is slowly rocking the boat as far as potential PBA trades are concerned.

See it here: http://www.tempo.com.ph/2011/rumored-yet-logical-pba-trade-cooking/

capitantiago
11-11-2011, 02:48 PM
PBA Trade Rumors: “BREWING” yet “LOGICAL”

by Brian Yalung

Manila, Philippines – For the past weeks, we have been hearing of a blockbuster trade that has been on and off. There were a lot of protagonists in this one but perhaps the most glaring was the rumor about Alaska and Ginebra trading players.

The names of Sonny Thoss, Enrico Villanueva and JC Intal are the leading names abuzz and today through Twitter, Atty. Noli Eala made a big tweet that is slowly rocking the boat as far as potential PBA trades are concerned.

See it here: http://www.tempo.com.ph/2011/rumored-yet-logical-pba-trade-cooking/

hahaha Noli Eala is no longer an attorney at law. :p

Beastly
11-11-2011, 02:58 PM
^The article is poorly written. But Eala already said there is a "BIG TRADE" that is already accepted by both teams, he said it involved BGK. I think it will be Sonny Thoss or JR Reyes.

Coke_Hero
11-11-2011, 03:04 PM
^
Something you'd expect from a tabloid writer. :p I don't really trust Rob Labagala's game that much so I guess BGK shouldn't have let James Martinez walk. Oh well~

Jordan Bruiseter
11-11-2011, 03:22 PM
If this is true, I wouldn't be surprised if they quickly pick up Rich Alvarez who as we know just became an Unrestricted Free Agent. ;)

Petron gives up the No. 1 and No.3 pick in last year's draft? Making room for Junmar! :D

Coke_Hero
11-11-2011, 05:24 PM
There's actually a hole in that article. Alaska ain't THAT stupid to actually get two wing players who basically play the SAME position as that of Cyrus Baguio.

carlz69
11-14-2011, 11:07 AM
"Noli Eala
For those asking, "Trade" finalized this aftrn. Now just subj to PBA's approval. Hope to submit by tom. Confident it shld be ok :)"

could this be anything alaska?? hmmm:confused:

Silent Killer
11-14-2011, 12:03 PM
"Noli Eala
For those asking, "Trade" finalized this aftrn. Now just subj to PBA's approval. Hope to submit by tom. Confident it shld be ok :)"

could this be anything alaska?? hmmm:confused:

most probably.

carlz69
11-14-2011, 12:26 PM
this is from snow

snow badua
SNOW TO COACH JOEL BANAL: Sir, any player movement? JB: Wala. Wala. No plans at all. SNOW: Are your players happy? JB: Yes. Walang problem.

yah right

and from barako bull aka "smc's pet"

snow badua
BARAKO GOV MANNY ALAVREZ: Again wala kaming trade, pero kung merun namang possibilities that will strengthen our team, we can explore that.

interesting:eek:

Silent Killer
11-14-2011, 12:39 PM
this is from snow

snow badua
SNOW TO COACH JOEL BANAL: Sir, any player movement? JB: Wala. Wala. No plans at all. SNOW: Are your players happy? JB: Yes. Walang problem.

yah right

and from barako bull aka "smc's pet"

snow badua
BARAKO GOV MANNY ALAVREZ: Again wala kaming trade, pero kung merun namang possibilities that will strengthen our team, we can explore that.

interesting:eek:

i read that earlier. coach banal's answer might be a showbiz answer. a denial answer. as we know, coaches is the last person in the management about the trade.

if alaska and barako bull aren't involve then, shopinas.com? rain or shine? meralco? :eek:

killmebusy
11-14-2011, 01:00 PM
i read that earlier. coach banal's answer might be a showbiz answer. a denial answer. as we know, coaches is the last person in the management about the trade.

if alaska and barako bull aren't involve then, shopinas.com? rain or shine? meralco? :eek:

I hope its shopinas...or if it is ros then hopefully jervy is involved and he gets more playing time with his new team.

Beastly
11-14-2011, 01:53 PM
Eala said it is a big trade and will make BGK fans happy... I don't think Pena, Seigle or Pennisi will make BGK fans happy. Ababou trade might make BGK fans happy, but Ababou is not YET a big fish. (: I trust Eala more than Snow Badua.

Silent Killer
11-14-2011, 03:16 PM
Eala said it is a big trade and will make BGK fans happy... I don't think Pena, Seigle or Pennisi will make BGK fans happy. Ababou trade might make BGK fans happy, but Ababou is not YET a big fish. (: I trust Eala more than Snow Badua.

BGK need youth. hmm. they need added big man in aging frontcourt of BGK. cervantes is not yet near to the level of expectations of BGK hopefuls.

Cryotek
11-14-2011, 04:43 PM
Ginebra eyeing Maierhofer, Maliksi

If everything falls together, fans of Barangay Ginebra may finally see the frontcourt upgrade that they’ve been praying for.

Read it here: http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/ginebra-eyeing-maierhofer-maliksi

amamangloy
11-14-2011, 09:27 PM
BGK need youth. hmm. they need added big man in aging frontcourt of BGK. cervantes is not yet near to the level of expectations of BGK hopefuls.

http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/ginebra-eyeing-maierhofer-maliksi

ricodgame
11-15-2011, 03:29 PM
from being a Security Agency to a circus act.. :)

lot of high flyers in Ginebra. I thought they needed a big man?

If ever the trade will get an approval from Barios.

Ginebra has JC Intal, KG Canaleta, Rico Maierhofer and Allein Maliksi :D

a logjam in 3 position (though Rico normally plays 4)

does this mean JC + Enrico = Thoss?

Cryotek
11-15-2011, 04:43 PM
from being a Security Agency to a circus act.. :)

lot of high flyers in Ginebra. I thought they needed a big man?

If ever the trade will get an approval from Barios.

Ginebra has JC Intal, KG Canaleta, Rico Maierhofer and Allein Maliksi :D

a logjam in 3 position (though Rico normally plays 4)

does this mean JC + Enrico = Thoss?

I believe it's Atty. Chito Salud's approval.

ricodgame
11-15-2011, 07:11 PM
I believe it's Atty. Chito Salud's approval.

yeah! my fault. :D

It's Salud. :D

Silent Killer
11-16-2011, 02:54 AM
From Twitter:

snowbadua snow badua
SALUD: Revised trade approved: YANCY plus 2012 2nd rd pick for MALIKSI. YANCY plus 2012 2nd rd for RICO. RICO for JIMBO + 2013 1st rd pick.
6 minutes ago

Silent Killer
11-16-2011, 03:12 AM
From Twitter:

PBA Commissioner's Office APPROVED TRADES as of November 16, 2011:

1. Yancy de Ocampo plus 2012 2nd rd pick for Allein Maliksi
2. Yancy de Ocampo plus 2012 2nd rd pick for Rico Maierhofer
3. Rico Maierhofer for Jimbo Aquino plus 2013 1st rd pick

in summary: Maliksi and Maierhofer (to BGK), Jimbo Aquino + 2013 1st Rd pick (to BARAKO), Yancy de Ocampo + 2012 2nd RD pick (to BMEG)

neo
11-16-2011, 04:57 AM
good revised trade...

rico will play center for bgk

trig
11-16-2011, 04:58 AM
I thought BGK was targetting Thoss, Pena or Pennisi. Instead they get another sg/sf Maliksi and sf/pf RicoM.

Maybe they are looking to trade MC/JC?

Buenafine
11-16-2011, 05:41 AM
GIN looking to play like GSW? :)

Who will back-up Villanueva at C? Is Menk back?

PF - Willy/Rico M.

SF - Intal/Maliksi/Tubid

SG - MC/Tubid/Wilson

PG - Mike/JJ/Labagala

Buenafine
11-16-2011, 05:42 AM
GIN looking to play like GSW? :)

Who will back-up Villanueva at C? Is Menk back?

PF - Willy/Rico M.

SF - Intal/Maliksi/Tubid

SG - MC/Tubid/Wilson

PG - Mike/JJ/Labagala

It looks like there will be another trade for BGK. I think Tubid and Cortez gets moved? MC47 isn't going anywhere I think.

reamily
11-16-2011, 06:03 AM
I thought BGK was targetting Thoss, Pena or Pennisi. Instead they get another sg/sf Maliksi and sf/pf RicoM.

Maybe they are looking to trade MC/JC?

how they can deal for thoss if not the maliksi deal is made;)

reamily
11-16-2011, 06:07 AM
good revised trade...

rico will play center for bgk

I thought you will say Rico will play backup C (defensive big ) for BGK:eek:

the only thing for Ginebra to this wrong is to break their "security agency" why fix the only thing making this team a contender..

why don't add a superstar guard in bgk because the security agency guys seems to perform well despite limited minutes:eek:

acklium
11-16-2011, 07:16 AM
lol! another 1 sided trade for BGK SECURITY AGENCY :D:D:D

donno
11-16-2011, 08:33 AM
this trade is just a prelude to a much bigger trade. Per Noli Eala, they are currently working on another trade to acquire a "big" man. sources tell me this is the Thoss=Villanueva+Intal trade. the earliest we can see this trade to happen is this week.

Ginebra's future is looking brighter as they also have 2 1st rounders next year. hello Junmar perhaps?

Joe Yabuki
11-16-2011, 08:37 AM
Considering Maliksi is just an excess to Ababou, I feel that Barako has gotten the better of this trade. And BGK after being infatuated with guards are now addicted to SFs Tubid/JohnWilson/Maliksi/Intal/Canaleta.

ricodgame
11-16-2011, 04:33 PM
after reading again the trade. it seems like the Barako Bull has gotten the better side of the deal. (well that is if they don't trade Jimbo to Petron, and of course trade their 2013 pick{a Gilas 2.0 alumni} again in the future)

Allein Maliksi is getting alot of attention because, he is getting a lot of PT with the Barako Bull Energy, but Jimbo is a former MVP himself. And he will be a perfect back-up for Willie Miller. And also with the trading of Allein, Barako Bull will now clear the logjam in 3 spot. (Dylan, Sunday, Najorda and sometimes Danny S plays SF too)

As for BMeg, they now have a shooting big man which I believe is a must with the triangle offense.

For Ginebra, it is just the beginning. They need a big man right? Are we seeing the PLAN B as stated by Snow? is Thoss just around the corner?

RedMetal
11-16-2011, 09:13 PM
Bgk get two injury prone players:eek:

killmebusy
11-16-2011, 11:39 PM
obviously the current best player involved in the trade is rico...so regardless of position bgk should welcome him with open arms. his gung-ho mentality also is a perfect fit for the kings. yancy is in the twilight of his career...so it would be interesting if he still gets involved in the rotation of bmeg. allein is a pure scorer so bgk should mainly use him as a spark of the bench while playing alongside more defensive minded players like the 2 wilsons and maierhofer. jimbo was a former ncaa finals mvp, only a couple years ago (during the john wilson mvp year) so he has the pedigree but hasn't been given the opportunity to prove he belongs in the pros yet and looking at the barako roster, he'll probably be backing up miller unless of course avenido continues to poach minutes. all in all, a fair trade all around..good job comish.

Big Ticket
11-16-2011, 11:49 PM
As for BMeg, they now have a shooting big man which I believe is a must with the triangle offense.

i agree....ricoM is way better than yancy but yancy is a better fit in bmeg's triangle....i think yancy can make those mid range corner jumpers reavis are taking right now...

nardy
11-17-2011, 03:15 PM
Considering Maliksi is just an excess to Ababou, I feel that Barako has gotten the better of this trade. And BGK after being infatuated with guards are now addicted to SFs Tubid/JohnWilson/Maliksi/Intal/Canaleta.

I do feel Jimbo Aquino will still move on and have a reunion with Coach Ato Agustin. If you are Barako, who is the player at Petron who you'll ask for exchange .... feel Eala would offer Joseph Yeo or Rey Guevarra as Marc Agustin is untouchable. From what I read in Eala's tweets, Lordy Tugade got his release and is soon on his way back to the San Miguel franchise team. Or would Tugade end-up joining his old team in a reunion with Miller and Pennissi.

ricodgame
11-17-2011, 03:38 PM
^I think it is not the last stop of Jimbo. However it depends on his performance, as per the conversation between Danny Espiritu and Snow Badua

Snow: Mattrade pa ba si Jimbo?
Danny: Kailangan magpakitang gilas siya jan.

trans:
Snow: Will Jimbo be traded again?
Danny: He need to show his stuff (first).

Cryotek
11-17-2011, 04:22 PM
I do feel Jimbo Aquino will still move on and have a reunion with Coach Ato Agustin. If you are Barako, who is the player at Petron who you'll ask for exchange .... feel Eala would offer Joseph Yeo or Rey Guevarra as Marc Agustin is untouchable. From what I read in Eala's tweets, Lordy Tugade got his release and is soon on his way back to the San Miguel franchise team. Or would Tugade end-up joining his old team in a reunion with Miller and Pennissi.

And I think Lordy already signed the 1 year contract offered by Petron...

donno
11-18-2011, 04:06 AM
^I think it is not the last stop of Jimbo. However it depends on his performance, as per the conversation between Danny Espiritu and Snow Badua

Snow: Mattrade pa ba si Jimbo?
Danny: Kailangan magpakitang gilas siya jan.

trans:
Snow: Will Jimbo be traded again?
Danny: He need to show his stuff (first).

kailangang magpakitang-gilas sya dyan or else hindi na sya kukunin ng Petron.:D

trans: Jimbo will certainly play well with Barako.

Jordan Bruiseter
11-18-2011, 11:07 AM
^A lot of opportunity since Najorda's still injured.

The LCL injury of Maliksi is not that serious as an ACL tear, but it is a reflection of his physiological "design." With a small team like Barako, he mght turn out to be more of a liability in terms of injury treatment. On the other hand, Allein can be sure to get topnotch training, conditioning, and treatment as needed with SMC.

I'd say win-win in this case...

CoJ
11-27-2011, 12:39 AM
kailangang magpakitang-gilas sya dyan or else hindi na sya kukunin ng Petron.:D

trans: Jimbo will certainly play well with Barako.

wow, Barako Bull is still a farm league quality team =(

Big Ticket
11-28-2011, 08:59 AM
from snowbadua...

SHOPINAS slaps KHASIM MIRZA 30k fine and suspension until DECEMBER 11. RE: Playing in a barangay league in MARIKINA.

haha..i knew he can't get away with what he did....i was able to watch one of his games there...

digitalsuperman
11-28-2011, 09:11 AM
from snowbadua...

SHOPINAS slaps KHASIM MIRZA 30k fine and suspension until DECEMBER 11. RE: Playing in a barangay league in MARIKINA.

haha..i knew he can't get away with what he did....i was able to watch one of his games there...

well at least there he can have some playing time. :D

Silent Killer
11-28-2011, 09:22 AM
from snowbadua...

that's why he was relegated to reserve list. :rolleyes:

toikins
11-28-2011, 10:39 AM
from snowbadua...

he should've stayed as an amateur. he has amateur skills and no professionalism.

Big Ticket
11-28-2011, 11:01 AM
he should've stayed as an amateur. he has amateur skills and no professionalism.

and i don't think he was paid more than 30K for the few games he played there...

CoJ
11-28-2011, 12:41 PM
from snowbadua...

what the? naprotesta si Mirza

Trans: I Guess Mirza is a Baranggay Basketball League politics victim =))

Jordan Bruiseter
12-02-2011, 11:04 AM
Seems the PBA is indeed doing better than previous years . Bonuses were given out last week - something which has not happened for a long time.

reamily
12-02-2011, 02:40 PM
why politics as I see PBA players especiallly in the lower card pba teams (who are not really rich teams) play sideline in brgy. leagues. so it might be a bitter community team who spill the info..

btw... 30 will just negate the pay he receive as a "hugot" of the brgy. team

Silent Killer
12-03-2011, 01:25 PM
From Twitter

snowbadua snow badua
Looks like 2 coaches might receive a pink slip soon. Clue: monicker of their teams have same initial.
56 seconds ago

Lol i already got it

same initial of monickers?
Barako Bull - Junel Baculi
Alaska Aces - Joel Banal

:D

Silent Killer
12-03-2011, 01:26 PM
From Twitter

snowbadua snow badua
Looks like 2 coaches might receive a pink slip soon. Clue: monicker of their teams have same initial.
56 seconds ago

Lol i already got it

Alaska Aces - Joel Banal

Silent Killer
12-03-2011, 01:31 PM
From Twitter

snowbadua snow badua
Trade for C on hold. As he waits for movement in his team's bench. G's team has a new target in C's team.
1 minute ago

hmm C for G? :rolleyes:

killmebusy
12-03-2011, 10:32 PM
From Twitter

snowbadua snow badua
56 seconds ago

Lol i already got it

Alaska Aces - Joel Banal

Barako bull's monicker is energy so i don't think it't baculi...probably talk and text tropang texters, norman black might be headed to the tnt bench. Alaska aces is probably correct..

Silent Killer
12-04-2011, 12:59 AM
oh, im sorry. Barako bull came to mind because BB same initial, i forgot that their monicker is Energy Boosters.

TNT Tropang Texters. Coach chot will be replace. hmm.. probably heading to coach gilas v2.0 and top assistant coach will be the next coach of TNT.

nardy
12-04-2011, 02:26 AM
From Twitter

snowbadua snow badua
Trade for C on hold. As he waits for movement in his team's bench. G's team has a new target in C's team.
1 minute ago

hmm C for G? :rolleyes:

they want hatfield plus maliksi

Silent Killer
12-04-2011, 03:52 AM
they want hatfield plus maliksi

c's team? Caguioa's Team? Caguioa on trading block again?

G's Team? Gabe norwood's Team? or

G's Team Gonzales,Wesley Team(alaska)?

alaska-BGK trade scenario on the works? am i right?

FireJaemark
12-04-2011, 06:09 PM
Cyrus for Gabe

DS_42
12-04-2011, 06:19 PM
Good trade if indeed true

RedMetal
12-06-2011, 01:24 AM
snowbadua snow badua
BARAKO TEAM MANAGER RAFFY CASYAO: No truth to the DYLAN ABABOU for REY GUEVARRA-CARLO SHARMA. Trust me Snow, walang ganyan. No trade na kami

snowbadua snow badua
RAFFY CASYAO: Hindi na mpapasok sa trading of players ang BARAKO BULL ENERGY. Playoffs na. We're happy with the line-up. We have surprises.

6 days to go before the deadline!:cool:

CoJ
12-08-2011, 01:13 PM
snowbadua snow badua
BARAKO TEAM MANAGER RAFFY CASYAO: No truth to the DYLAN ABABOU for REY GUEVARRA-CARLO SHARMA. Trust me Snow, walang ganyan. No trade na kami

snowbadua snow badua
RAFFY CASYAO: Hindi na mpapasok sa trading of players ang BARAKO BULL ENERGY. Playoffs na. We're happy with the line-up. We have surprises.

6 days to go before the deadline!:cool:

should this happen, this is the definition of highway robbery!

Jordan Bruiseter
12-09-2011, 07:38 AM
oh, im sorry. Barako bull came to mind because BB same initial, i forgot that their monicker is Energy Boosters.

TNT Tropang Texters. Coach chot will be replace. hmm.. probably heading to coach gilas v2.0 and top assistant coach will be the next coach of TNT.

But if I were Baculi, I wouldn't be less worried considering their recent losses which could be attributed to "lapses" (intentional or not) in player rotation which has management uneasy about keeping him as HC, considering his reputation since his Mapua days...would be interesting to know if he's talking to the same guys as his boy Miller. :D

Along with Chot, also in the running for NT HC duties is Coach Gregorio - as to which one...hmmmm.

durden_tyler
12-09-2011, 08:00 AM
in favor to whom? ;)

tado24
12-09-2011, 08:17 AM
i wish to see ababou more often than miller and arboleda
he simply can create a lot of mismatch..
and it seems that his in the mold of smaller danny siegle with a range..

BTW, whats the official height of Dylan A.?

Jordan Bruiseter
12-09-2011, 08:55 AM
i wish to see ababou more often than miller and arboleda
he simply can create a lot of mismatch..
and it seems that his in the mold of smaller danny siegle with a range..

BTW, whats the official height of Dylan A.?

Listed as 6'3". Standing beside him wearing flat-soled loafers, he's just about a half inch taller than me. More likely around 6'1 1/2".

tado24
12-09-2011, 09:03 AM
Listed as 6'3". Standing beside him wearing flat-soled loafers, he's just about a half inch taller than me. More likely around 6'1 1/2".

i also thought that his only 6'1
but it seems to be really 6'2 or 6'3..
smaller to Intal by at centimeters i think.

RedMetal
12-16-2011, 03:48 AM
snowbadua snow badua

snowbadua snow badua
RAFFY CASYAO: Hindi na mpapasok sa trading of players ang BARAKO BULL ENERGY. Playoffs na. We're happy with the line-up. We have surprise

Tuloy na kaya?!!!;)
snowbadua snow badua
A reliable source whispered to me how a multi-titled team is burning lines to acquire a star rookie from one of the quarterfinalist teams.

DaveMap2007
12-28-2011, 02:16 PM
http://www.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2011111220037

Nick Fazekas did some soul searching and came to the following conclusion: The Philippines is more money and less stress on his troublesome ankle, and that combination was enough for him to go.

The former Nevada basketball star said Tuesday he is leaving the Reno Bighorns NBA Development League team to join the Petron Blaze of the Philippine Basketball Association. He will leave in mid-January for the Manila-based team.

The 6-foot-11 forward/center signed a contract for this season only. The Blaze is 9-5 and has about four months remaining on its schedule. He did not want disclose the details of the contract but said he will make more money than he was making with the Bighorns.

toikins
12-28-2011, 05:01 PM
http://www.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2011111220037

Nick Fazekas did some soul searching and came to the following conclusion: The Philippines is more money and less stress on his troublesome ankle, and that combination was enough for him to go.

The former Nevada basketball star said Tuesday he is leaving the Reno Bighorns NBA Development League team to join the Petron Blaze of the Philippine Basketball Association. He will leave in mid-January for the Manila-based team.

The 6-foot-11 forward/center signed a contract for this season only. The Blaze is 9-5 and has about four months remaining on its schedule. He did not want disclose the details of the contract but said he will make more money than he was making with the Bighorns.

less stress for his troublesome ankle? the game here is also fast. in fact the game here is not as organized as the type of game the americans play and definitely not as organized as european's type of game. That makes PBA entertaining in the eyes of the usual fans. PBA's physicality requires a healthy able body.
cant play with an ailment in the PBA. you will not last.

Jordan Bruiseter
01-02-2012, 10:18 AM
^Perhaps preparing for McGee suiting up for either TnT or Meralco. Rumor has it that in the event McGee does get signed as an import, questions (or a complaint if you please) will be raised, considering the max pay for an import is just $25K - loose change considering his $100K monthly from the Wizards. But maybe there are other considerations since he's posied to take Kuya Marcus' place in the NT?

*By the way, thanks to the following for the gifts: Alaska Aces - a carton of all-purpose cream, Petron Blaze Boosters - Queso de Bola and car sunshade, Ginebra Gin Kings - box of assorted drinks, Comm Chito - lovely Cross, TV5 - basket of goodies (loved the champagne!).

Happy New Year!

MR. FAST
01-11-2012, 12:42 AM
1. Someone is jumping ship! Not just ship but a totally different FLEET! he'll be on one with the 3stars and a sun. #pba FROM MS.PH

MR. FAST
01-11-2012, 01:26 AM
Panatiko.tk
‎"It is a hard decision for me to make. I have been a part of this company since 1981...

MR. FAST
01-11-2012, 01:26 AM
DennisPrincipe ♕ (名) プリンシペ島 ♕
Oh Joseph... You just made up your mind.... ;)

thayil
01-11-2012, 01:46 AM

Sirit please!

MR. FAST
01-11-2012, 01:50 AM
CheckLit Cesca Litton
Someone's leaving the Barangay. Is this a smart move? #PBA

thayil
01-11-2012, 01:53 AM
CheckLit Cesca Litton
Someone's leaving the Barangay. Is this a smart move? #PBA

Jong? since 1981

MR. FAST
01-11-2012, 01:56 AM
i think two people are involve here

digitalsuperman
01-11-2012, 01:56 AM

aha! Joseph Yeo!

digitalsuperman
01-11-2012, 01:57 AM
Jong? since 1981

from player to coaching staff?

MR. FAST
01-11-2012, 02:00 AM
CheckLit Cesca Litton
I only named one team guys. The rest is up for speculation.;)

killmebusy
01-11-2012, 06:13 AM
definitely uichico...joseph "jong" uichico...hmmm, to alaska maybe?

a_ron
01-11-2012, 06:37 AM
jong yeongchico

nardy
01-11-2012, 07:04 AM
Jong? since 1981

Well Jong has been under the wing of Boss Danding Cojuangco since his college playing days in La Salle at the NCAA.

neo
01-11-2012, 08:11 AM
uichico to gilas/national team !!!

and maybe to tnt or meralco...:rolleyes:

whatever will be the structure, it seems that its be gonna be uichico, black, reyes, and gregorio holding the fort for the new basketball/gilas program. question is who will be the head coach among them and whether the head coach will be full-time with the national program. obviously, one can serve as full-time coach and mvp's tnt, meralco, and ateneo will not be orphaned by a good coach because they have 4 of the best in the land.

nardy
01-11-2012, 08:47 AM
Vaughn Canta left Shopinas and was signed-up by the Singapore Slingers at the ABL.

Jay P. Mercado
01-12-2012, 01:56 AM
Jong? since 1981

Yes, the NCC program was conceived dating back in 1980 when then Ambassador Eduardo "Danding" Cojuangco was appointed by then President Ferdinand Marcos to become the project director for basketball. Marcos' vision was simple: he hired all his business cronies and friends who were affluent and influential enough to make a significant impact on various Philippine sports. Hence, aside from Cojuangco in basketball, Marcos also appointed Roberto Benedicto for swimming, Panfilo Domingo of the Philippine National Bank for tennis, Dominador Pangilinan of Traders Royal Bank (MVP's dad) for softball, Rodolfo Cuenca of CDCP for golf, among others.

Cojuangco laid down the foundation of his basketball program through the NCC blueprint. To expedite the transfer of technology from the American players to the Filipinos, Cojuangco brought in American collegiate players for naturalization. Ricardo Brown of Pepperdine, while being a legitimate Fil-American whose mother is a Vidal from Ilocos, and William Pearson of Chaminade University, whose also a legitimate Fil-American whose mother is a Pelayo, were the first two players brought in. The local players were mostly sourced from the DLSU basketball team, then orphaned as they just left the NCAA after a tumultuous rumble with the Letran Knights in the 1981 Finals. Joseph "Jong" Uichico was one of the DLSU players who was taken in for the NCC program. Other La Sallians were Teddy Alfarero, Richard Mendoza, Leoncio "Jun" Tan, Derrick Pumaren, Tonichi Yturri, Alfie Almario among others. Uichico eventually became part of the national team as a starter for the victorious 1982 RP Youth team in the Asian Youth tournament held in Manila. Uichico played #4, alongside co-starters #5 Alfarero (who supplanted UM's John Copada, then the original starting center for the Youth team but was down with hepatitis a week prior to the tournament), #3 Almario, #2 Louie Brill of San Beda College and point guard Hector Calma of Adamson and APCOR in the MICAA.

Uichico eventually became part of the NCC team and played in the PBA as part of the guest NCC team in the 1984 season. He was cut from the 12-man lineup in 1985 as they accommodated better youngsters like Alfredo Jarencio of UST, Jerry Codinera of UE, and Ludovico Valenciano of La Salle. Uichico, out of loyalty to coach Ron Jacobs, decided to stay put and became an apprentice to Jacobs who was more than willing to accommodate him. Uichico never got to be drafted in the PBA although he applied in the 1988 draft but no team hired his services. He eventually retired as a player but became an assistant coach for Norman Black at San Miguel, replacing Derrick Pumaren, sometime in the early 90's as Pumaren was hired by Pepsi to coach its PBA team.

The rest, as they say, is all history.

nardy
01-12-2012, 02:59 AM
I would like to add just a little trivia on Jong Uichico whose full name is Joseph Enrique Floro Uichico. He has connections with the Crispa Redmanizers as his mom, Elena Floro Uichico is the sister of Danny Floro which also means Crisanta and Pablo Floro are Jong's Lola and Lolo respectively. Jong's dad whose name is also Joseph was the Team Manager of the MICAA Farm Team of the Redmanizers called the Swingers. Another thing most people forget was before becoming a Green Archer, Jong was the star player in the NCAA Juniors Division while playing for the La Salle Greenhills Greenies alongside his twin Joel. While Jong is the quiet type .... his twin is the more sociable one. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_F3A30IYM5Wk/TAJvQ2CqpXI/AAAAAAAACRQ/z6td73InCzY/s1600/Image1640.jpg

thayil
01-12-2012, 03:10 AM
Yes, the NCC program was conceived dating back in 1980 when then Ambassador Eduardo "Danding" Cojuangco was appointed by then President Ferdinand Marcos to become the project director for basketball. Marcos' vision was simple: he hired all his business cronies and friends who were affluent and influential enough to make a significant impact on various Philippine sports. Hence, aside from Cojuangco in basketball, Marcos also appointed Roberto Benedicto for swimming, Panfilo Domingo of the Philippine National Bank for tennis, Dominador Pangilinan of Traders Royal Bank (MVP's dad) for softball, Rodolfo Cuenca of CDCP for golf, among others.

Cojuangco laid down the foundation of his basketball program through the NCC blueprint. To expedite the transfer of technology from the American players to the Filipinos, Cojuangco brought in American collegiate players for naturalization. Ricardo Brown of Pepperdine, while being a legitimate Fil-American whose mother is a Vidal from Ilocos, and William Pearson of Chaminade University, whose also a legitimate Fil-American whose mother is a Pelayo, were the first two players brought in. The local players were mostly sourced from the DLSU basketball team, then orphaned as they just left the NCAA after a tumultuous rumble with the Letran Knights in the 1981 Finals. Joseph "Jong" Uichico was one of the DLSU players who was taken in for the NCC program. Other La Sallians were Teddy Alfarero, Richard Mendoza, Leoncio "Jun" Tan, Derrick Pumaren, Tonichi Yturri, Alfie Almario among others. Uichico eventually became part of the national team as a starter for the victorious 1982 RP Youth team in the Asian Youth tournament held in Manila. Uichico played #4, alongside co-starters #5 Alfarero (who supplanted UM's John Copada, then the original starting center for the Youth team but was down with hepatitis a week prior to the tournament), #3 Almario, #2 Louie Brill of San Beda College and point guard Hector Calma of Adamson and APCOR in the MICAA.

Uichico eventually became part of the NCC team and played in the PBA as part of the guest NCC team in the 1984 season. He was cut from the 12-man lineup in 1985 as they accommodated better youngsters like Alfredo Jarencio of UST, Jerry Codinera of UE, and Ludovico Valenciano of La Salle. Uichico, out of loyalty to coach Ron Jacobs, decided to stay put and became an apprentice to Jacobs who was more than willing to accommodate him. Uichico never got to be drafted in the PBA although he applied in the 1988 draft but no team hired his services. He eventually retired as a player but became an assistant coach for Norman Black at San Miguel, replacing Derrick Pumaren, sometime in the early 90's as Pumaren was hired by Pepsi to coach its PBA team.

Thanks for the heads up Sir JPM, I never thought that after NCC Jong left Conjuangcos anyway it is a win-win situation for our country indeed at least different idea will help our NATIONAL team.

nardy
01-12-2012, 03:26 AM
Thursday, January 12, 2012On that press statement about Jong Uichico leaving Ginebra (http://www.bleachersbrew.blogspot.com/2012/01/on-that-press-statement-about-jong.html)

On that press statement about Jong Uichico leaving Ginebra

by rick olivares

I was reading a statement released yesterday by Ginebra San Miguel Inc. that said that former head coach Jong Uichico is moving from the Kings to the Philippine Men’s Basketball National Team. GSMI President Bernie Marquez lamented the departure of Uichico but also wished him well in his new endeavor.

Uichico won six titles with San Miguel and two with Ginebra. He was also a part of the Northern Consolidated Cement squad that was bankrolled by Danding Cojuangco back in the 1980s. That means he was with Mr. Cojuangco’s group for about three decades (maybe even more). That’s even longer than many marriages last.

I cocked an eyebrow ala Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson is disbelief (because there is an air of mystery and curiosity). Without asking the pertinent parties for the whys and wherefores, these are the thoughts that came to mind.

First is, why cannot coaches who work for other corporations work together for the national team? Didn’t Uichico assist Yeng Guiao on the Powerade-backed Philippine Team? Maybe it’s one of those instances where a person is pirated. We’ve seen that once to often. Maybe that’s the case here but I’m thinking that you’re giving up a long relationship to go – in the words of a PBA insider – “to the other camp”?

Having said that, the second thought is, just what the heck happened? Did it have something to do with Uichico being “demoted” – for lack of a better term to an assistant? Does that ever sit well with anyone? One day yours is the voice that everyone listens to then the next your slapping hands while sitting on the bench. Sure there’s Jorge Gallent and Caloy Garcia who’ve had to endure that but I do not see Yeng Guiao, Tim Cone, or even Chot Reyes sitting next to another head coach (unless it is the national team). What is the common denominator among the last three coaches I named – they have all won championships. Well, so has Jong. But it is also the season for leaving. Cone left Alaska after 22 years of service. Well, so has Jong.

Inside the pressroom, we threw theories around left and right and well (including Uichico’s not taking the head coaching job of La Salle), we think there’s more to the statement than meets the eye. I am also curious with the timing of this press release as it came on the eve of Game Four of the semifinals series between defending champion Talk ‘N Text and Petron Blaze (that the Boosters won to go up 3-1 in their match up). It’s like Alex Rodriguez talking about his free agency during the World Series matchup between the Boston Red Sox and the Colorado Rockies.

Posted by Rick Olivares [/URL][URL="http://www.blogger.com/email-post.g?blogID=8941288664705100419&postID=8185139551373437194"] (http://www.blogger.com/email-post.g?blogID=8941288664705100419&postID=8185139551373437194)

Servinio
01-12-2012, 05:20 AM
He eventually retired as a player but became an assistant coach for Norman Black at San Miguel, replacing Derrick Pumaren, sometime in the early 90's as Pumaren was hired by Pepsi to coach its PBA team.

Coach Joseph Uichico's first coaching job was as head coach of De La Salle-Zobel in the 1990-1991 UAAP junior wars. At that time, DLSZ was bannered by senior Jason Webb and juniors Luigi Trillo and Boris Aldeguer.

nardy
01-12-2012, 05:34 AM
Coach Joseph Uichico's first coaching job was as head coach of De La Salle-Zobel in the 1990-1991 UAAP junior wars. At that time, DLSZ was bannered by senior Jason Webb and juniors Luigi Trillo and Boris Aldeguer.

Anthony .... when Jong coached at Taft which Green Archers were his players. I could no longer remember.

killmebusy
01-12-2012, 05:37 AM
so why did uichico decline the dlsu head coaching job? imo, it would have been a better decision.

digitalsuperman
01-12-2012, 05:54 AM
so why did uichico decline the dlsu head coaching job? imo, it would have been a better decision.

probably there was a falling out...

neo
01-12-2012, 08:10 AM
Anthony .... when Jong coached at Taft which Green Archers were his players. I could no longer remember.

1996 & 1997 seasons...i remember telan, rocca, uy, allado, tan, ritualo among others. perhaps trillo and patriminio also. maybe bautista.

in the 1996 and 1997 season dlsu went to the finals twice, losing the 96 and 97 finals against ust and feu respectively. in both seasons, telan was the uaap mvp.

toikins
01-12-2012, 08:28 AM
Thursday, January 12, 2012On that press statement about Jong Uichico leaving Ginebra (http://www.bleachersbrew.blogspot.com/2012/01/on-that-press-statement-about-jong.html)

On that press statement about Jong Uichico leaving Ginebra

by rick olivares

I was reading a statement released yesterday by Ginebra San Miguel Inc. that said that former head coach Jong Uichico is moving from the Kings to the Philippine Men’s Basketball National Team. GSMI President Bernie Marquez lamented the departure of Uichico but also wished him well in his new endeavor.

Uichico won six titles with San Miguel and two with Ginebra. He was also a part of the Northern Consolidated Cement squad that was bankrolled by Danding Cojuangco back in the 1980s. That means he was with Mr. Cojuangco’s group for about three decades (maybe even more). That’s even longer than many marriages last.

I cocked an eyebrow ala Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson is disbelief (because there is an air of mystery and curiosity). Without asking the pertinent parties for the whys and wherefores, these are the thoughts that came to mind.

First is, why cannot coaches who work for other corporations work together for the national team? Didn’t Uichico assist Yeng Guiao on the Powerade-backed Philippine Team? Maybe it’s one of those instances where a person is pirated. We’ve seen that once to often. Maybe that’s the case here but I’m thinking that you’re giving up a long relationship to go – in the words of a PBA insider – “to the other camp”?

Having said that, the second thought is, just what the heck happened? Did it have something to do with Uichico being “demoted” – for lack of a better term to an assistant? Does that ever sit well with anyone? One day yours is the voice that everyone listens to then the next your slapping hands while sitting on the bench. Sure there’s Jorge Gallent and Caloy Garcia who’ve had to endure that but I do not see Yeng Guiao, Tim Cone, or even Chot Reyes sitting next to another head coach (unless it is the national team). What is the common denominator among the last three coaches I named – they have all won championships. Well, so has Jong. But it is also the season for leaving. Cone left Alaska after 22 years of service. Well, so has Jong.

Inside the pressroom, we threw theories around left and right and well (including Uichico’s not taking the head coaching job of La Salle), we think there’s more to the statement than meets the eye. I am also curious with the timing of this press release as it came on the eve of Game Four of the semifinals series between defending champion Talk ‘N Text and Petron Blaze (that the Boosters won to go up 3-1 in their match up). It’s like Alex Rodriguez talking about his free agency during the World Series matchup between the Boston Red Sox and the Colorado Rockies.

Posted by Rick Olivares [/URL][URL="http://www.blogger.com/email-post.g?blogID=8941288664705100419&postID=8185139551373437194"] (http://www.blogger.com/email-post.g?blogID=8941288664705100419&postID=8185139551373437194)
tsk tsk
there is really hidden agenda in every move. ehem Slaughter ehem
now i understand Fajardo's camp.

The leader should not treat sports body as business.
Looks like the leader is looking to benefit from his every move. Tsk businessman nga.
Unity my @ss!

Jordan Bruiseter
01-12-2012, 08:36 AM
1996 & 1997 seasons...i remember telan, rocca, uy, allado, tan, ritualo among others. perhaps trillo and patriminio also. maybe bautista.

in the 1996 and 1997 season dlsu went to the finals twice, losing the 96 and 97 finals against ust and feu respectively. in both seasons, telan was the uaap mvp.

Dino Aldeguer (younger brother of Boris who was under Jong in DLSZ) was also in that line-up?

neo
01-12-2012, 11:54 AM
Dino Aldeguer (younger brother of Boris who was under Jong in DLSZ) was also in that line-up?

most likely yes (or at least one of those 2 years). what is certain is aldegeur and allado were the archers inside-outside combo that led them to the 1998 and 1999 titles before cortez and cardona arrrived in 2000 and 2001 respectively. ritualo was with the championship teams from 1998-2001.

RedMetal
01-21-2012, 11:11 AM
http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/assets/2012/01/kerby-raymundo.jpg

If plans come to fruition, versatile big man Kerby Raymundo could be wearing a Ginebra uniform when the PBA Commissioner’s Cup starts next month.
Multiple sources told InterAKTV that B-MEG is working on a deal to send the 31-year-old forward to the Gin Kings. The Llamados could receive a package that includes Ginebra center Enrico Villanueva and forward JC Intal.
But since the two franchises are sister teams under the San Miguel Corporation umbrella, PBA rules allow no direct player transactions to be made between them. A source privy to the negotiations said that Barako Bull could serve as the third franchise in the deal, and that more players could be involved.
A 10-time all-star selection and a three-time member of the PBA mythical squad, Raymundo has been part of the Purefoods franchise since 2002, winning the Governors’ Cup finals Most Valuable Player award in his first tournament with the team. After missing most of last season due to injury, the former Letran stalwart made a triumphant return for the Llamados in the Philippine Cup, ranking first on the team in assists, second in rebounding, and third in scoring.
Curiously, B-MEG, Ginebra, and Barako Bull were also involved in a blockbuster deal last conference that sent Llamados forward Rico Maierhofer and Energy rookie Allein Maliksi to the Gin Kings.:cool:

Jordan Bruiseter
01-22-2012, 11:12 AM
^ Primary reason is Raymundo does not see eye-to-eye with Tim Cone. Trade is through BBE (nothing new), and involved are Villanueva and/or Intal from BGK. Speaking of BBE...

The Paul Artadi - Chico Lanete trade is done and approved, and will be formalized within next week. Busy times for BBE who have begun practice with import Dermarr Johnson. Whilst other teams have shored up their frontline for the upcoming unlimited height import-laden conference, BBE has acquired a 6'9" SG/SF who has displayed his shooting range during practice sessions. Interesting to see if the former sixth-round overall NBA pick (perhaps the highest drafted player to ever play as an import in the PBA?) will be able to cause mismatches against a smaller guard or a slower import, considering most everyone else is getting a burly 7-foot PF/C and bring BBE to the finals. BBE will be going strong this coming conf in line with the reintroduction of its Energy Drink product in the market come April/March.

Jimbo Aquino is also on the trading block considering his dismal AFC performance. Petron is the most likely recipient, preferably for Rey Guevarra, possibly Lordy Tugade.

Air21/Shopinas is in dire need of a big man. Homer Se has retired. Magi Sison is suspect to have a slipped disk. Setting their eyes on sixth pick J. Ballesteros. Initially planning to get Malcolm Thomas (who was recently called up by the Spurs from the NBDL) as it's next import, they are now planning on burly 6'8" PF Darnell Lazare (LSU/Fort Wayne Mad Ants). If all else fails, they still have first crack at Adam Parada whom they would likely bring back.

Speaking of returns, former PBA Chair Lito Alvarez is now back as a consultant for the Lina Group, and it will probably only be some time before he is back again in the PBA.

The PBA board is set to meet on Wednesday and is set to discuss guidelines on who gets to have Marcus Douthit as an import.

The_Big_Cat
01-22-2012, 03:31 PM
It seems that Rico Villanueva has toured every SMC teams (SMB and GSM) except for B-MEG.

After comebacking from an injury-plagued 2010 and 2011 season, it would be a good move for Raymundo to play for a new environment like Ginebra.

Could LA Tenorio be also going the path as former teammate Joe De Vance?

neo
01-22-2012, 04:27 PM
It seems that Rico Villanueva has toured every SMC teams (SMB and GSM) except for B-MEG.

After comebacking from an injury-plagued 2010 and 2011 season, it would be a good move for Raymundo to play for a new environment like Ginebra.

Could LA Tenorio be also going the path as former teammate Joe De Vance?

rico villanueva played for purefoods before going to ginebra.

RedMetal
01-22-2012, 09:24 PM
MANILA, Philippines - Several trade deals are in the works in the run-up to the PBA Commissioner’s Cup, including the possible transfer of Kerby Raymundo from B-Meg to Barangay Ginebra.

Alaska’s LA Tenorio is another marquee name being mentioned on the trading block.

B-Meg top official Rene Pardo has hinted in his Facebook account trade deals happening in the next few days.

“Daming (several) trade on the table. It’s that time of the year again,” said Pardo.

The former league chairman defended the need by teams to use this exercise on certain occasions.

“Trading of players is a vital part of the PBA. Sometimes it seems that a team is on the losing end of trade because not all factors are made aware to the public. The important thing to understand is that no team will agree to a trade that will not benefit its objective of being competitive in the league,” he said.

Reports said Raymundo is moving from B-Meg to Ginebra with Barako Bull used by the SMC sister teams as the third party in the deal. League disallows sister teams from making direct trade transactions.

Raymundo has played the best years of his career with B-Meg after spending his earlier years in the pro league with the original Red Bull team.

The former Letran star, a two-time member of the national team to the Fiba Asia championship, is just back from an injury.

Pardo, however, stressed there’s no final deal yet involving their team.

“Nothing final on our end as of now. Puro what if pa lang,” said Pardo.

The_Big_Cat
01-23-2012, 02:48 AM
rico villanueva played for purefoods before going to ginebra.

Thanks for the correction. Its amazing how a bottle of brandy affects your memory at that time of the night. haha!

killmebusy
01-23-2012, 11:18 AM
MANILA, Philippines - Several trade deals are in the works in the run-up to the PBA Commissioner’s Cup, including the possible transfer of Kerby Raymundo from B-Meg to Barangay Ginebra.

Alaska’s LA Tenorio is another marquee name being mentioned on the trading block.

B-Meg top official Rene Pardo has hinted in his Facebook account trade deals happening in the next few days.

“Daming (several) trade on the table. It’s that time of the year again,” said Pardo.

The former league chairman defended the need by teams to use this exercise on certain occasions.

“Trading of players is a vital part of the PBA. Sometimes it seems that a team is on the losing end of trade because not all factors are made aware to the public. The important thing to understand is that no team will agree to a trade that will not benefit its objective of being competitive in the league,” he said.

Reports said Raymundo is moving from B-Meg to Ginebra with Barako Bull used by the SMC sister teams as the third party in the deal. League disallows sister teams from making direct trade transactions.

Raymundo has played the best years of his career with B-Meg after spending his earlier years in the pro league with the original Red Bull team.

The former Letran star, a two-time member of the national team to the Fiba Asia championship, is just back from an injury.

Pardo, however, stressed there’s no final deal yet involving their team.

“Nothing final on our end as of now. Puro what if pa lang,” said Pardo.

Per snow badua's tweet, the offer for the knight is one blue and one green..so with willy wilson being the only "green" he will surely be included, question is if the other would be rico or jc.

The_Big_Cat
01-23-2012, 11:57 AM
Per snow badua's tweet, the offer for the knight is one blue and one green..so with willy wilson being the only "green" he will surely be included, question is if the other would be rico or jc.

My guess is Kerby for Villanueva and Wilson.

lovejones
01-23-2012, 01:18 PM

mike cortez is the other green

killmebusy
01-23-2012, 02:10 PM
mike cortez is the other green

Oh right, forgot about him..lol

RedMetal
01-25-2012, 11:42 PM
THE PBA Board has given way to a luckless member and is giving it the sole rights to a formidable weapon.

Shopinas.com, which will carry the Air21 banner in the Commissioner’s Cup set to start on Feb. 10, was given the exclusive rights to negotiate with national team star Marcus Douthit as its import.

"After due deliberation, the board... decided to step aside and allow the Air21 Express to negotiate and engage the services of Douthit for the second conference," Commissioner Chito Salud announced after the 90-minute meeting at the league offices.

Salud added the governors have also thrown in the provision that in case Air21 and Douthit do not come to terms the American native, a naturalized Filipino, will be "barred from playing" in the conference.

The 6-foot-11 Douthit was supposed to be raffled off among the 10 teams, but the rest already have their own respective imports for the tourney featuring reinforcements of unlimited height.

"Primarily because due to the lateness of the hour and because nine of the 10 teams have already their own imports, it was decided there would be no more drawing of lots," related Salud. "They (governors) just decided to give Air21 the opportunity to engage the services of Douthit."

The team formerly called the Clickers was set to hire Malcolm Thomas, but he was contracted by the San Antonio Spurs.

Salud also said Air21 representative Shiela Lina expressly stated they are interested and will get in touch with Douthit as soon as possible.

Salud added Douthit has contacted the PBA and stated he is "willing to play."

He is currently seeing action with also-ran Foshian in the Chinese league and will be free by Feb. 18 "at the earliest," according to Salud.

In another development, Salud upgraded the flagrant foul-Penalty 1 slapped on Talk N Text’s Ranidel de Ocampo last Monday to a Penalty 2 and threw in a P20,000 fine.

De Ocampo’s wayward elbow opened a nasty cut on Powerade counterpart Sean Anthony’s right eyebrow after a rebounding battle.

"We have provisions that any elbow contact above the shoulder will merit an FF2 and another that states any foul, even if not deliberate, will be classified as FF2," explained Salud. "So pasok sa parehong provisions na iyon ang foul ni De Ocampo."

The fine was added after a review of the game tape by Salud and his technical staff.

"The commissioner is given the leeway, particularly when he is reviewing, in terms of downgrading or upgrading the foul and adjusting the penalties," said Salud. "I believe the contact merits a P20,000 fine and that amount should suffice."

Meanwhile, an impending trade among four teams is just the prelude to much more frenzied wheeling and dealing before the PBA Commissioner’s Cup kicks off.

An insider with knowledge of the ongoing negotiations said new deals are expected to be forged within the next two weeks, with the involved teams wanting to finalize them before the mid-season tourney.

"It’s just a matter of putting together packages na hindi lang papasa sa mga involved sa trade kundi pati na rin kay Commissioner (Chito) Salud," said the source.

The source refused to elaborate further, but hinted the new deals are geared toward somehow offsetting the reported ongoing negotiations among the San Miguel Corporation teams – Ginebra, B-MEG and Petron Blaze, through Barako Bull.

Officials of the teams purportedly involved could not be contacted for comment as of late yesterday, but the reports persist.

Just last Tuesday, Salud approved the trade that sent the Energy’s Paul Artadi to the Meralco Bolts in exchange for Chito Lanete. But that pales when compared to what is currently on the table.

At the center of the current negotiations is B-Meg forward Kerby Raymundo, who is reportedly headed to Ginebra by way of Barako.

Also thrown in are the Kings’ JC Intal and Ronald Tubid, who are being pointed the way of B-Meg and Petron, respectively.

Reportedly stalling the talks is the question of what Barako will get in return.

"One team wants (Barako forward Dylan) Ababou included in the mix, but Barako management is adamant in saying they will not trade him," said the insider.

MR. FAST
01-26-2012, 01:44 AM
RT @nelbeltran: kerby raymundo trade is a done deal

MR. FAST
01-26-2012, 02:08 AM
http://nsdtambayan.hooxs.com/t564-raymundo-to-begin-training-with-ginebra-as-intal-moves-to-b-meg

Raymundo’s agent Danny Espiritu told InterAKTV that the Llamados will no longer require the versatile forward to report to the team.

“OK na trade ni Kerby, tinawagan na ako ni Kerby, di na siya pinag-practice sa B-MEG,” wrote Espiritu in a text message.

lovejones
01-26-2012, 02:13 AM
"One team wants (Barako forward Dylan) Ababou included in the mix, but Barako management is adamant in saying they will not trade him," said the insider.

Guys, you smell that? I smell bullshit.

durden_tyler
01-26-2012, 02:48 AM
Guys, you smell that? I smell bullshit.

Ababou for Petron's Guevarra. Just do it. :D

lovejones
01-26-2012, 02:59 AM
Ababou for Petron's Guevarra. Just do it. :D

When will my Gin Kings benefit from a BS trade? Kerby doesn't have much gas left in his tank so this doesn't even count. If ever Noli finds a way to get Junemar for Ginebra, I'll be a happy camper.

neo
01-26-2012, 03:10 AM
When will my Gin Kings benefit from a BS trade? Kerby doesn't have much gas left in his tank so this doesn't even count. If ever Noli finds a way to get Junemar for Ginebra, I'll be a happy camper.

kerby is most likely for short-term purposes only. perhaps the kings think that he's one of the missing pieces to make one last run for a conference title with the the other elders - menk, hatfield, caguioa, and helterbrand.

but it is also possible that he's there for the long run, he's only 31 right?

its_eman8211
01-26-2012, 03:37 AM
kerby is most likely for short-term purposes only. perhaps the kings think that he's one of the missing pieces to make one last run for a conference title with the the other elders - menk, hatfield, caguioa, and helterbrand.

I agree... Kirby is not that old at the age of 31, he can still play for BGK up to 4-5 good years.
Remember also that he had James Yap on BMEG as their number 1 option in offense, they also had DeVance...
He can still play... I had high respect with Kirby's Game...

killmebusy
01-26-2012, 04:43 AM

Yes but he is a very old 31 (turning 32)...he isn't like most players who entered the league at 25 or 26...he was 20 when he started with red bull 12 years ago. he is about the same age as yap but he started 5 years earlier...not to mention he already experienced numerous injuries. so yeah, if he is going to bgk...and the gin kings ship much younger pieces, like wilson and intal, then imo they again will be at the wrong end of the deal. bgk just has to face the fact that they need to start rebuilding na...too bad in the pba rebuilding means "bully trading for better players" but that's another topic.

MR. FAST
01-26-2012, 04:53 AM
Still no word abt any trade involving BGK, BMeg as far as d PBA Comm ofc
is concerned, according to its media bureau in a txt msg just now.
-thepbaologist

neo
01-26-2012, 05:54 AM
Yes but he is a very old 31 (turning 32)...he isn't like most players who entered the league at 25 or 26...he was 20 when he started with red bull 12 years ago. he is about the same age as yap but he started 5 years earlier...not to mention he already experienced numerous injuries. so yeah, if he is going to bgk...and the gin kings ship much younger pieces, like wilson and intal, then imo they again will be at the wrong end of the deal. bgk just has to face the fact that they need to start rebuilding na...too bad in the pba rebuilding means "bully trading for better players" but that's another topic.

he'll be 32 next year, not this year. kobe started playing in the nba at age 16 and he's older than kerby but he still rocks. of course, kerby ain't kobe but in general, i do not think 31 is very old in pro basketball. alapag won the mvp last season when he was 33-34 and we all know what he can still do. of course, everyone slows down with age and this is not the same kerby circa 2005-2008. but he is still good enough to be a starter in any of the 10 teams in the pba and i believe its worth the risk getting his services in exchange for two role players. yup, bgk needs to rebuild now and im certain they would eventually get some really young legs. but for now, kerby is one good piece for the present and the not-so distant future.

killmebusy
01-26-2012, 06:18 AM
he'll be 32 next year, not this year. kobe started playing in the nba at age 16 and he's older than kerby but he still rocks. of course, kerby ain't kobe but in general, i do not think 31 is very old in pro basketball. alapag won the mvp last season when he was 33-34 and we all know what he can still do. of course, everyone slows down with age and this is not the same kerby circa 2005-2008. but he is still good enough to be a starter in any of the 10 teams in the pba and i believe its worth the risk getting his services in exchange for two role players. yup, bgk needs to rebuild now and im certain they would eventually get some really young legs. but for now, kerby is one good piece for the present and the not-so distant future.

kerby has been sidelined for long periods of time the past couple years already but we have to wait on who they are giving up though to decide if it is fair or not.

Jordan Bruiseter
01-26-2012, 08:25 AM
Kobe was drafted in 1996. Born in August, he was 18 years and at least a couple of months old during his first NBA game in November. Both Andrew Bynum and Jermaine O'Neal were younger but were still over 18 years of age. :)

Not very clear yet on the particulars of the trade. Raymundo, Villanueva, Intal, and Tubid have all been thrown in the mix (all from SMC side). Perhaps we see Jimbo Aquino involved as well on BBE's side?

swish#20
01-26-2012, 08:40 AM
dont know the current pba eligibility rules, but would they allow kiefer ravena and rayray parks to turn pro? they already served the NT, didnt they? and any chances of fil-foreigners who just came out of high school to play in the pba?

Jordan Bruiseter
01-26-2012, 08:57 AM
Unfortunately, no. PBA is pretty strict about underaged pros.

Interesting you brought this up considering Raymundo was involved in a related case during his rookie year. He was banned for the rest of his rookie season after playing just six games with Red Bull after it was uncovered that he falsified his school documents, where it showed he finished HS in 1996, instead of a year later.

neo
01-26-2012, 09:03 AM
Kobe was drafted in 1996. Born in August, he was 18 years and at least a couple of months old during his first NBA game in November. Both Andrew Bynum and Jermaine O'Neal were younger but were still over 18 years of age. :)

Not very clear yet on the particulars of the trade. Raymundo, Villanueva, Intal, and Tubid have all been thrown in the mix (all from SMC side). Perhaps we see Jimbo Aquino involved as well on BBE's side?

tnx on the correction of kobe's age.

swish#20
01-26-2012, 09:24 AM
Unfortunately, no. PBA is pretty strict about underaged pros.

Interesting you brought this up considering Raymundo was involved in a related case during his rookie year. He was banned for the rest of his rookie season after playing just six games with Red Bull after it was uncovered that he falsified his school documents, where it showed he finished HS in 1996, instead of a year later.
just thinking out of the box. lets say give these blue-chip young guns an offer they cannot refuse($$$ - its been the way eversince) to play in the pba, if TNT gets them then chances are they gonna play for the NT too. or better yet why not sign them up directly for gilas now? why wait for them to graduate (esp the filfors)?

nardy
01-26-2012, 11:47 AM
just thinking out of the box. lets say give these blue-chip young guns an offer they cannot refuse($$$ - its been the way eversince) to play in the pba, if TNT gets them then chances are they gonna play for the NT too. or better yet why not sign them up directly for gilas now? why wait for them to graduate (esp the filfors)?

the PBA has an age limit before a player could join the Rookie Draft:

In the recent Rookie Draft only Fil-foreign players who have played for the Philippine men’s basketball team and are over the PBA D-League age limit of 26 years old will be allowed to join as they are exempted from the 2 D-League Conferences (where players from 17 years old upto 26 are allowed to play) residency rule for Fil-fors. For the homegrown and fil-foreign players who were able comply with the D-League residency rule, the age limit is 21 years old and/or if you're 4 years removed from high school.

Another thing don't be so sure that MVP would remain SBP President forever, Noli Eala is not shy in saying that he wants to take control of SBP again and with the backing of Ramon Ang of SMC, it is still a probability. Actually the 4-year term of MVP as SBP President ends in the middle of 2012 and there would be an election this year.

silverwing
01-26-2012, 01:42 PM
http://teampilipinas.info/2012/01/b-meg-barako-ginebra-seek-approval-for.html

B-MEG, Barako, Ginebra seek approval for Raymundo, Intal, Ababou deal
| PBA, Smart Gilas | 0 comments »

Now come the moves. Three teams which failed to live up to expectations in the PBA's season-opening tournament have started taking steps towards redemption by formally offering a trade proposal to league commissioner Chito Salud Thursday for approval.

Reports persist, however, that more trades are in the works, although nothing solid has yet completely surfaced.

At the center of the currently proposed deal is B-Meg's Kerby Raymundo, which is set to go to Barangay Ginebra by way of Barako Bull.

Also being included in the package are Ginebra's JC Intal, Ronald Tubid and Neil Cervantes and Barako's Dylan Ababou, plus a pair of future second round picks in the draft.

Salud's decision on whether to approve the trade or order a fairer deal should be known as early as Friday.

The Commissioner's Cup starts Feb. 10 featuring imports of unlimited height.

The involved teams do need some overhaul, based on their disappointing performances in the Philippine Cup.

Ginebra got ambushed by Rain or Shine and Barako by Talk ,N Text in the quarterfinals, winding up fifth and seventh, respectively.

Despite a new man at the helm in 13-time champion Tim Cone, B-Meg proved to be the biggest bust after topping the eliminations, only to get swept by twice-to-win Powerade in their own quarterfinals duel.

The incoming players, if approved, should help.

Under the proposed deal, Intal goes to Barako for Ababou before heading B-Meg's way, along with Barako's second round pick (acquired from Shopinas) next year, for Raymundo.

Raymundo then goes to Ginebra for Tubid, Cervantes and the Kings' second round pick in the 2014 rookie draft. (NC)

source: www.pba.ph

Jay P. Mercado
01-26-2012, 04:24 PM
Another thing don't be so sure that MVP would remain SBP President forever, Noli Eala is not shy in saying that he wants to take control of SBP again and with the backing of Ramon Ang of SMC, it is still a probability. Actually the 4-year term of MVP as SBP President ends in the middle of 2012 and there would be an election this year.

Should be interesting if this ever pans out. I'm not surprised if one of the reasons why the SMC Group took in Noli Eala as Director for Sports is that they would want to run the SBP someday if and when MVP decides to finally hand over the reins to another person. There are only two people really capable of running the SBP - only two people that can muster the support of the basketball community. These are MVP and RSA. I don't see anyone who has the logistics, financial capability, and more importantly, political power, to get all stakeholders in the same page except for these two.

But then, I doubt if MVP would give up the SBP leadership mantle at least, in the next two years. I feel that he has penciled himself to another tenure in order to achieve his objective of entering the World Tournament or the Olympics. 2013 would be his best chance when there would be at least 3 teams from Asia representing the continent in the World Tournament. If things don't work there, then that may perhaps be the time when MVP would take stock of everything and consider leaving the SBP.

Eala would obviously be RSA's main guy at the SBP, if ever. Eala won't become President or SBP Head - his personality is just too divisive and won't be able to achieve the unity that the basketball community is yearning for. RSA would obviously be that guy, in case MVP leaves. And Eala would be his point person. He has the connections with the powerful FIBA gods, he has the experience and background to run things, and would also have the financial backing of the SMC conglomerate if ever. And while there may be politics as well in the SMC camp, RSA's personality is not unlike Danding Cojuangco - his mentor. Ang, like Cojuangco, likes to run his group like a MAFIA - where everyone toes the line and those who won't cooperate should leave. The autocratic approach may actually be good for the SBP - as it sets aside the bickering and the politics that normally go with the sharing of the pie and the picking up of the crumbs. Remember when Cojuangco was Project Director for basketball during Marcos' time? He ran the sport like it was his own fiefdom, and those who were intolerant of his ways were shoved aside. That includes Gonzalo "Lito" Puyat, a legislator himself having been elected a Member of the Parliament (MP) or Assemblyman in the 1984 elections representing Manila. Puyat, who ran for the opposition party UNIDO, may have been part of the opposition but would not and could not speak up against Cojuangco. Puyat was also President of the BAP then, and used to be President of the FIBA as well. Note though that his position as FIBA President was merely ceremonial, as the true leader who ran the association was Borislav Stankovic. Yet, despite all these trappings on Puyat, he never spoke up against Cojuangco, his NCC program, and his tight-fisted approach in running the country's basketball program.

But it was also because Cojuangco generated so much success with his program. His national team was victorious in practically all Asian tournaments that they participated in - except for the ill-fated ABC tournament in 1983 when the country was set up to lose by the ABC officials. But they won the Asian Interclub of 1984, the 1985 Jones Cup, the 1986 ABC tournament, and the 1982 Asian Youth, all teams having been supported by ECJ.

MVP's leadership style is not as dictatorial as ECJ or probably RSA's. MVP gets the best people at his side and gives them enough latitude to do things their way. Which is probably the reason why you see several factions in the SBP - the Frankie Lim group, the Gregorio family and the Noli Eala camp. Each one tried to make an impression on MVP, in the process, instead of working like a team, fought against themselves. In the SMC Group, we don't hear similar problems. You see Jong Uichico getting displaced as head coach of BGK and sharing coaching chores with his former assistant Siot Tanquincen, with Tanquincen really manning things, and we didn't hear anything from Uichico - even after he has resigned. We see Allan Caidic being "kicked upstairs" to assistant team manager position from his head coaching job at BGK and we didn't hear Caidic complain. We have Jorge Gallent, giving way to Tim Cone at B-Meg, to quietly accept an assistant coaching job for SMB. And we've heard of Ato Agustin possibly being removed as head coach of Petron had TNT won the grandslam last season, saving his job by doing the unthinkable - beating TNT in a classic 7-game finals series. And of course, we see Eala coming in and taking over the sports mantle of the company, and we don't hear Robert Non or the other guys complaining about Eala's ascent. If ever there were grumblings, these were kept within the confines of the Head Office in Ortigas. But we never heard them complain in public.

I still hope MVP decides to run for reelection and finishes another 4 years. It may be too taxing for the man but you can't help but marvel at his commitment and cause to help the national team. But if ever he decides to give way, then Ramon Ang is the only person capable of replacing him.

killmebusy
01-27-2012, 12:23 AM

yeah well, does "thinking out of the box" mean sacrificing one's education? the pba put those rules for a reason and that is to make sure a player completes his degree first before being allowed to play in the pros. whether he be 19 or 26 by the time he finishes college or an equivalent degree, after then would be the only time he is allowed to apply for the draft. these days though they require dleague exposure or national team duty but basically regarding the age limit, it's pretty much coz the money can wait but the pba deems it necessary to bag a degree first. yes some players get dubious degrees and graduate without any sweat but that's the school's call.

kerby's case was not coz of his age, it was coz it was discovered he was still a few units shy of graduating from letran so they sent him back to school to finish his studies.

swish#20
01-27-2012, 12:35 AM
yeah well, does "thinking out of the box" mean sacrificing one's education? the pba put those rules for a reason and that is to make sure a player completes his degree first before being allowed to play in the pros. whether he be 19 or 26 by the time he finishes college or an equivalent degree, after then would be the only time he is allowed to apply for the draft. these days though they require dleague exposure or national team duty but basically regarding the age limit, it's pretty much coz the money can wait but the pba deems it necessary to bag a degree first. yes some players get dubious degrees and graduate without any sweat but that's the school's call.

kerby's case was not coz of his age, it was coz it was discovered he was still a few units shy of graduating from letran so they sent him back to school to finish his studies.
its a choice a player has to make whether he wants $$$ at a young age or not. derrick rose for example, spent one year at University of Memphis and applied for NBA draft the next year - fyi this is quite standard for nba first round draftees. mvp or whoever takes over must give this a thought of recruiting them young. same goes for the pba. are they regressing with recruiting oldies with degree in the pba? as far as bball talents are concerned, its the physical attributes that matter most, the college degree is secondary. go younger pba/sbp!!!

killmebusy
01-27-2012, 01:43 AM
its a choice a player has to make whether he wants $$$ at a young age or not. derrick rose for example, spent one year at University of Memphis and applied for NBA draft the next year - fyi this is quite standard for nba first round draftees. mvp or whoever takes over must give this a thought of recruiting them young. same goes for the pba. are they regressing with recruiting oldies with degree in the pba? as far as bball talents are concerned, its the physical attributes that matter most, the college degree is secondary. go younger pba/sbp!!!

you really can't compare the nba and the pba...such as the US economy and our own. so you really think basketball is much more important than education? would you have someone agree with you on that? what would the DEPED say? for such an education starved country such as us, placing basketball ahead of it would be giving out a terrible example to the youth. besides, uaap stars are already raking in the cash (something i vehemently oppose)...on top of quality education and continuous basketball training, so the pba doesn't need to interfere. besides, do you really think the ADMU alumni would let Kiefer walk without him consuming his 5 year eligibility? same goes with parks and the sy family...or maybe you don't know what happens in the (dirty) recruitment wars in collegiate basketball...

CoJ
01-27-2012, 02:37 AM
to be fair, most of these student athletes barely attend class and would usually get poor grades (or get the special treatment, ugh) so might as well send them to the pros early to save the school from humiliation...

I do remember several NBA columnist claiming that the age limit should be scrapped, using golf and tennis, which does not have an age limit for you to be a pro......

ma4ma
01-27-2012, 02:51 AM
SMC and The Lina Group: Destroying the competitive balance of the PBA

First we saw Allein Maliksi and Rico Maierhofer go to Ginebra for absolutely nothing in return( yes, consider Yancy De Ocampo and Jimbo Aquino bad players), now Dylan Ababou and Kerby Raymundo will be going to Ginebra for JC Intal (BMEG) , Reil Cervantes(Barako Bull) and Ronald Tubid(Barako Bull).

The Basketball scene in the Philippines is losing its integrity with trades like this. I remember when Enrico Villanueva, Larry Fonacier, and Lordy Tugade went to the San Miguel Beermen(during that time Magnolia). It was 2007 and Barako Bull led by coach Yeng Guiao was winning championships. San Miguel had the deepest line-up in league because aside from getting the best players of Barako Bull, they had Danny Seigle, Danny Ildefonso, Dorian Pena, Dondon Hontiveros, Olsen Racela, and rookie LA Tenorio. This team was good enough to become a Philippine National Team and by the next season they received Jay Washington and Mick Pennisi via free agency.

I consider these events as the "Philippine Basketball Dark Ages" because of these lopsided deals, many teams lost popularity such as Sta Lucia, Coca Cola, Shell, and Air 21. Nobody was watching the games except if you are a Ginebra, Purefoods, or a San Miguel fan. The only team that survived this turmoil was Alaska because the Aces management during that time was able to keep Tim Cone's system and they made a very smart trade to for LA Tenorio and Larry Fonacier in exchange for Ken Bono and Mike Cortez. The teams that lost money sold their Marquee players to Talk n Text, that is why Kelly Williams, Ranidel De Ocampo, and Ryan Reyes are playing for consecutive championships as we speak.

Now we are seeing it yet again. Basketball executives do not understand why people are watching these games or why people love the PBA. The Philippine Basketball Association is supposedly a basketball league and not a Harlem Globetrotters versus the Washington Generals event. Basketball fans turn on TV's or go to the Araneta Coliseum to watch competitive basketball. I really thought something changed this season. But when Barako Bull sent their best rookies to Ginebra, this league fortifed the idea that it is a big joke. Ginebra is a crowd favorite because it is an underdog not because it is an All-star team. Why can't SMC let Mark Caguioa and Jayjay Helterbrand and get younger players from future drafts? A league should have winners and losers that interchange from time to time. Franchises used to have an Alvin Patrimonio or Benjie Paras leading the way. Now, we have powerhouse teams that look very expensive (So much for the imposed salary cap). Instead of having role players, we see star players replacing star players. SMC teams and the Pangilinan teams are just too deep. The Lina group is just selling their players to the highest bidder or they look like an SMC farm team.

I am not saying trades should be barred because it is normal but it should be fair in nature. Basketball franchises should refuse to give away their best players. Just because Ginebra is losing does not mean they should rob PBA fans and get the best players from other teams. It is good to overhaul a team but doing it by sacrificing the honesty and the competitive balance of our beloved PBA is not the way to go. If trades are going to continue to be like this, I would not be surprised if the PBA will one day shut down because it is very obvious that this is just a 5 team league (three from SMC versus two from the Pangilinan Group) and other companies would fear to invest in such a league which can considered a black hole economically.

Source: Down with Manila

killmebusy
01-27-2012, 02:59 AM
to be fair, most of these student athletes barely attend class and would usually get poor grades (or get the special treatment, ugh) so might as well send them to the pros early to save the school from humiliation...

I do remember several NBA columnist claiming that the age limit should be scrapped, using golf and tennis, which does not have an age limit for you to be a pro......

then again, would the government allow it? in a practical sense you guys do have a point but ethically and socially it would set a bad example to the youth. maybe someone's gonna bring up that our boxers can be an example but they did that as sort of a last resort...due to poverty. besides a collegiate star gets the money, the training and the education...why would they choose to go pro for less money, no education and more rigorous trainings?

swish#20
01-27-2012, 04:01 AM
you really can't compare the nba and the pba...such as the US economy and our own. so you really think basketball is much more important than education? would you have someone agree with you on that? what would the DEPED say? for such an education starved country such as us, placing basketball ahead of it would be giving out a terrible example to the youth. besides, uaap stars are already raking in the cash (something i vehemently oppose)...on top of quality education and continuous basketball training, so the pba doesn't need to interfere. besides, do you really think the ADMU alumni would let Kiefer walk without him consuming his 5 year eligibility? same goes with parks and the sy family...or maybe you don't know what happens in the (dirty) recruitment wars in collegiate basketball...
can you enlighten me about these amateurs getting money? is this done secretly or what? coz this is news to me afaik amateurs do not get paid to play ball. note that a professional means being paid to do a certain job. yep i do know what goes around, thats why im opposed to this. maybe in time we get balanced college teams scattered in the whole of philippines so that the talent is not concentrated in the uaap/ncaa leagues. take a look at greg slaughter, already 23y.o. still playing college ball. is this a good example for the young that is to stay forever in college?

killmebusy
01-27-2012, 06:19 AM
can you enlighten me about these amateurs getting money? is this done secretly or what? coz this is news to me afaik amateurs do not get paid to play ball. note that a professional means being paid to do a certain job. yep i do know what goes around, thats why im opposed to this. maybe in time we get balanced college teams scattered in the whole of philippines so that the talent is not concentrated in the uaap/ncaa leagues. take a look at greg slaughter, already 23y.o. still playing college ball. is this a good example for the young that is to stay forever in college?

i do agree that the age limit be shortened in the uaap/ncaa. well, sources say that kiefer got at least 10million to stay in ADMU...how much does a pba rookie/gilas mainstay make? 200k a month less and less i presume. slaughter's case is a little more complicated...what age did he graduate high school? also, for all the kobe's and rose's there will always be a jonathan bender and gerald green who should have stayed in school to polish more their game. so right now, do you think kiefer and ray can already compete against the likes of arboleda, belga and peek in the pros? heck the first time the gilas team "played" in the pba they got routed by each and every team despite having cj giles.

acklium
01-27-2012, 06:46 AM
a pro player most likely should start by the age of 18,19, and 20

Jordan Bruiseter
01-27-2012, 09:24 AM
[B] ...Basketball executives do not understand why people are watching these games or why people love the PBA...

I think a lot of people would agree that the current guidelines on fairness in trades are lax. However, on the flipside, league revenue since last year has gone up, so we might not see a major revamp in these policies. We have to remember that even if a team, i.e. Air21 or Barako Bull do not perform well in the conference and lose on potentially important brand advertisement, the owners still benefit from revenue from the league.

swish#20
01-27-2012, 01:32 PM
i do agree that the age limit be shortened in the uaap/ncaa. well, sources say that kiefer got at least 10million to stay in ADMU...how much does a pba rookie/gilas mainstay make? 200k a month less and less i presume. slaughter's case is a little more complicated...what age did he graduate high school? also, for all the kobe's and rose's there will always be a jonathan bender and gerald green who should have stayed in school to polish more their game. so right now, do you think kiefer and ray can already compete against the likes of arboleda, belga and peek in the pros? heck the first time the gilas team "played" in the pba they got routed by each and every team despite having cj giles.
Amazing, im not sure you can find that in the rulebook. like i said, i hope the talents would be scattered in schools all over the phils not just in ncr. its not the proper comparison of gilas to pba teams since these rookies will be joining a regular pba team. as far as kobe is concerned, 18y.o., just check his minutes coz i remember he was limited in his rookie year and was taken under the wing of eddie jones, the laker starter that time. so thats what i mean, kiefer need not be playing 30mins in his rookie year as he can be brought up slowly.

Jordan Bruiseter
01-27-2012, 02:01 PM
Approved without revision:

Raymundo + Ababou - Ginebra
Intal + Draft Pick - BMeg
Tubid + Cervantes + Draft Pick - Barako Bull

That's the trade on paper.

However...buzz is, the trade was "Ababou for Douthit" ;)

Silent Killer
01-27-2012, 02:18 PM
Approved without revision:

Raymundo + Ababou - Ginebra
Intal + Draft Pick - BMeg
Tubid + Cervantes + Draft Pick - Barako Bull

That's the trade on paper.

However...buzz is, the trade was "Ababou for Douthit" ;)

LOL :p

but DUMB move by barako bull. trading away ababou and maliksi? their suppose to be the future of the team. and a showbiz answer by the management, "we'll not trade ababou" LOL.. :p

neo
01-27-2012, 02:35 PM
ababou vs intal i think is relatively fair. ababou showed flashes of brilliance but was on and off the whole conference while intal showed flashes of brilliance but was on and off in hs bgk years. of course, whoever gets the younger player wins most of the time (but not all times).

raymundo vs tubid, cervantes, and 2nd rd pick is relatively fair also.

its d the raymundo vs intal plus 2nd rd pick that i think should have been revised by making it a first-round pick instead of 2nd rd or at least another player to go with intal. perhaps, salud, despite's kerby's better than expected return performance last conference (as opposed to the likes of de vance etc), probably took into consideration kerby's age and series of injury the past couple of years.

ricodgame
01-27-2012, 02:40 PM
Isip + Omolon for Canlas + Daa + 1st Rd Pick sounds fair to me.

lovejones
01-27-2012, 02:45 PM
There's a buzz that

Rabeh
JWash
Rey Guevarra

are on the trading block. But for whom and what team I'm really not sure but some say that Air 21 is involved.

Pilyong Husband
01-27-2012, 05:34 PM
There's a buzz that

Rabeh
JWash
Rey Guevarra

are on the trading block. But for whom and what team I'm really not sure but some say that Air 21 is involved.

As a Petron/SMB fan ... I'm all for it!!! It's about time these guys get jettisoned out.

Rabeh - the headcase who oftentimes acts like a petulant bratty child when he doesn't get his way
JWash - the finger-pointing downer who won't hesitate throwing a teammate under the bus to ruin locker room and team chemistry (just ask Arwind)
ReyG - the glaring disappointment despite all his physical gifts. Probably too timid and indecisive for Coach Ato's taste.

Coke_Hero
01-27-2012, 07:03 PM
There's a buzz that

Rabeh
JWash
Rey Guevarra

Rabeh and Rey on the move again? Rey's has been totally evident. I really don't think he's top three worthy anyways. RJ Jazul was Letran's go-to guy before and it was a shocker that he (Jazul) dropped to the second round. Rabeh is a headcase, JWash should be traded simply because he'd become a ballstopper and a defensive liability in Petron's game.

As per Ginebra's trade moves, I'm glad that they maintained hustle guy Willie Wilson amidst reports saying that he's going to be included in the Kerby deal but I'm totally worried about the Kings' defense. Dylan's not totally known as a defensive stopper neither is Kerby. Wish they went with Ping instead

nardy
01-28-2012, 05:55 AM
Basketball (http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/basketball) Air 21 acquires Omolon, Isip from Meralco (http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/air-21-acquires-omolon-isip-from-meralco) Reynaldo Belen, InterAKTV · Friday, January 27, 2012 · 6:08 pm

The Air 21 Express, coming off a historically futile tournament as the Shopinas.com Clickers in the Philippine Cup, have embarked on a modest offseason buildup by trading for two athletic frontcourt players from the Meralco Bolts.

Air 21 team manager Jovie Saddul told InterAKTV that the Express have acquired the rights to Nelbert Omolon and Mark Isip from Meralco in exchange for Mark Canlas, Dennis Daa, and a 2012 first round draft pick that originally belonged to the Bolts.

Saddul presented the deal Friday to the PBA, which has the right to veto or revise transactions. According to the Air 21 executive, PBA commissioner Chito Salud said that he sees no problem with the deal, although it is still yet to be approved.

Omolon was a member of the PBA mythical second team with Sta. Lucia in 2008, but is averaging a career-low 4.1 points per game this season.

Isip, meanwhile, will be playing for his seventh team in six seasons when his transfer to the Express becomes complete.

Prior to the Bolts, the forward out of FEU also played for Sta. Lucia, Coca-Cola, Rain or Shine, Talk ‘N Text, and Barako Bull.

The current Air 21 franchise, which lost all 14 of its games in the Philippine Cup, is still searching for its first PBA victory.

Earlier this week, the team received a bit of good news after it was awarded the exclusive rights to hire former SMART-Gilas Pilipinas center Marcus Douthit as its import for the Commissioner’s Cup.

nardy
01-28-2012, 05:57 AM
Basketball (http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/basketball) Meralco, Barako close Lanete-Artadi deal (http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/meralco-barako-close-lanete-artadi-deal) Reynaldo Belen, InterAKTV · Tuesday, January 24, 2012 · 4:34 pm

Meralco and Barako Bull have gotten approval for a one-on-one deal involving point guards Paul Artadi and Chico Lanete.

The deal got the go-signal from the PBA commissioner’s office Tuesday.

“Basically, the trade was initiated because we need somebody who can start the fastbreak,” Meralco Bolts team manager Virgil Villavicencio told InterAKTV. “Since Chris Ross is OK now, we felt we need a fast player who can run alongside Sol Mercado.”

The deal reunites Artadi with Meralco coach Ryan Gregorio, who drafted the speedy guard for Purefoods out of the University of the East with the first pick in the second round in 2004. Artadi was traded to
Barangay Ginebra in 2007, before Gregorio reacquired him in 2009.

When Gregorio left the Purefoods franchise in 2010, Artadi found himself dealt to San Miguel. Together, Artadi and Gregorio have won two championships.

Lanete was a valuable part-time starter for Meralco this past tournament, averaging 9.4 points a game, including a 24-point, nine-assist explosion against B-MEG in the first round of eliminations.

nardy
01-28-2012, 06:00 AM
Basketball (http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/basketball) PBA OKs Raymundo-Intal-Ababou deal (http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/pba-oks-raymundo-intal-ababou-deal) Reynaldo Belen, InterAKTV · Friday, January 27, 2012 · 10:30 am

http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/assets/2012/01/kerby-raymundo.jpgAKTV/Paolo Papa

The PBA on Friday approved the blockbuster five-man trade involving Barako Bull, Barangay Ginebra, and B-MEG.

In the deal, B-MEG received Gin Kings forward JC Intal and a 2012 2nd round pick from Barako Bull that originally belonged to Air 21, formerly Shopinas.com. Ginebra got Llamados forward Kerby Raymundo and Energy rookie Dylan Ababou. Barako Bull ended up with Gin Kings veteran swingman Ronald Tubid and rookie Reil Cervantes, as well as a second round draft pick in 2014 from Ginebra.

PBA commissioner Chito Salud, who has the right to revise or veto transactions that he deems imbalanced, gave his stamp of approval to the trade as is.

“The three-way trade was fairly sound and reasonable,” he said. “The teams gave and received players and picks of relative even value and use for their respective purposes.”

B-MEG coach Tim Cone had nothing but kind words for Raymundo on Twitter.

“Kerby was the consummate professional. It only took one conference for me to realize his greatness as a player and a person,” Cone wrote.

“Kerby leaving is almost like when Alvin retired. End of an era for Purefoods/B-MEG.”

He also explained how the acquisition of Intal would complement B-MEG top gun James Yap.

“We feel JC will be the perfect ‘bookend’ for James — a threat on the other side of the floor and a topnotch, athletic defender,” he wrote.

A 10-time all-star selection and a three-time member of the PBA mythical squad, Raymundo has been part of the Purefoods franchise since 2002, winning the Governors’ Cup finals Most Valuable Player award in his first tournament with the team. After missing most of last season due to injury, the former Letran stalwart made a triumphant return for the Llamados in the Philippine Cup, ranking first on the team in assists, second in rebounding, and third in scoring.

Intal was a reliable role player for the Gin Kings, averaging 9.2 points per game in the Philippine Cup, good for fifth on the team.

Ababou, a former SMART-Gilas Pilipinas backup forward, had a solid rookie campaign for Barako Bull, averaging 11.4 points and 4.5 rebounds per game. Picked 10th overall, Ababou will be joining another former Barako rookie, No. 8 pick Allein Maliksi, on the Ginebra lineup. Curiously, Barako Bull, Ginebra, and B-MEG were also involved in another blockbuster deal earlier this season that sent Maliksi and Rico Maierhofer to the Gin Kings.

This marks the second consecutive year that the Barako Bull franchise has traded away all its first round picks midway through the season. Last year, the team, then known as Air 21, traded its top three picks Nonoy Baclao, Rabeh Al-Hussaini, and Rey Guevarra to San Miguel.

nardy
01-28-2012, 06:07 AM
In another development, Barangay Ginebra has appointed former Tanduay and Sta. Lucia coach Alfrancis Chua as coaching consultant.

Chua was a team mate of Coach Siot during UST's championship streak in the 1990s.

SG 3000
01-28-2012, 11:41 AM
In another development, Barangay Ginebra has appointed former Tanduay and Sta. Lucia coach Alfrancis Chua as coaching consultant.

Chua was a team mate of Coach Siot during UST's championship streak in the 1990s.

i wanna see chua back as a head coach. if siot fails to lead the kings to the semis this conference, i would support his relegation as an assistant and go for chua.

rocketstar47
01-28-2012, 11:45 AM
oh!!! the man that carries TANDUAY in the 1999 AFC Finals
with the likes of ERIC MENK,SONNY ALVARADO,PIDO JARENCIO,JASON WEBB AND
BOBBY JOSE is back, but they lose to BENJIE PARAS led and PERRY RONQUILLO coached SHELL SUPERUNLEADED.

where is coach Perry Now?

SG 3000
01-28-2012, 11:49 AM
BOBBY JOSE is back, but they lose to BENJIE PARAS led and PERRY RONQUILLO coached SHELL SUPERUNLEADED.

usa i believe

nardy
01-28-2012, 03:47 PM

He is now working for TARGET in the US doing inventories, he wanted to come back however whatever he is currently earning in the US could not be matched by the salary a PBA team is willing to give to a come-backing coach.

nardy
01-28-2012, 05:28 PM
why do I feel that Dylan Ababou trade to Ginebra that had Barako getting Ronald Tubid is a way to give ample space for Jimbo Aquino to shine with Barako which would justify his trade later-on to Petron for either Rey Guevarra, Joseph Yeo or maybe even Lordy Tugade.

killmebusy
01-29-2012, 12:02 AM
why do I feel that Dylan Ababou trade to Ginebra that had Barako getting Ronald Tubid is a way to give ample space for Jimbo Aquino to shine with Barako which would justify his trade later-on to Petron for either Rey Guevarra, Joseph Yeo or maybe even Lordy Tugade.

Guevarra for jimbo is quite equal..lordy is down to his last legs while yeo for jimbo would flip the switch and would have pbb at a trade disadvantage for a change (as long as they dont throw any picks)

kgi
01-29-2012, 02:23 AM
i wanna see chua back as a head coach. if siot fails to lead the kings to the semis this conference, i would support his relegation as an assistant and go for chua.

i back up this statement 110%

rocketstar47
01-29-2012, 04:39 AM
for me 1999 is the best season of the PBA

KevinDurant
01-29-2012, 06:45 AM

Wag na.:)

He might bring back his old ward Marlou to BGK...

neo
01-29-2012, 06:50 AM
Wag na.:)

He might bring back his old ward Marlou to BGK...

perhaps not.d kings already have chua's old soldiers menk and hatfield so aquino is not needed :cool:

rocketstar47
01-29-2012, 08:26 AM
wat if sonny alvarado returns ;)

all_about
01-29-2012, 05:02 PM
2 sets of trade in the offing; Teams Ginebra, Petron, TNT, BMEG and Barako.

Jordan Bruiseter
01-30-2012, 01:20 AM
Just wondering, is there a limit as to how far off a draft pick can be traded, I mean, can a team's draft pick beyond 2016 be included in a trade already?

a_ron
01-30-2012, 04:31 AM
For me 1997,Gordons Gin Boars Championship year.

Servinio
01-30-2012, 07:30 AM
where did eman play in college? i don't think he got the best training and tutoring available.

Samigue Eman spent a year with the NCAA's Jose Rizal University (circa 2000) then transferred to the University of Mindanao in his home Davao City.

acklium
01-30-2012, 08:24 AM
where did eman play in college? i don't think he got the best training and tutoring available.

yes kerby started early but the flipside is his body is also wearing down early. asi taulava started in the pba when he was 26 but he is playing at still an acceptable level even if he is now pushing 40. same with gary david, he just entered his prime at age 32 while dondon is about the same age but since he started playing in the pros early his body is now brittle. same goes with tennis and golf, yes the athletes turn pro early but by the time they are 30 they are judged over the hill already. for me, kiefer is already getting very good training under black so there is no need for him to jump to the pros right away...besides like i said he is earning more while doing less. in terms of better competition...well, like you guys said he will likely be stuck on the bench for a year or two before he plays significant minutes so i don't see where that fits in. a player has to be pro ready when they turn pro...look back, i am pretty sure that there have been a lot more busts than successes for those who turned pro early. imo it doesn't matter what age, if you're that good you'll dominate.

he was also a part of BAP-NT that was sent to many minor leagues way back 2000s.
also a member of Canaleta back then.

Jordan Bruiseter
01-30-2012, 11:25 AM

Jimbo Aquino-Lordy Tugade being worked out. Possibly, two players "returning" to their former coaches.

Air21 will likely sign Bryan Faundo who was released by Meralco.

Livestrong
01-30-2012, 12:19 PM
Air21 gets Nelbert Omolon and Mark Isip from Meralco
Meralco gets Dennis Daa, Mark Canlas plus a future pick...

TrueBluePinoy
01-31-2012, 03:47 AM
Deleted OT discussion. Please get back to the topic. Any more similar activity will have users warned.

swish#20
01-31-2012, 03:51 AM
where's the proper thread for that mod? seems you been busy deleting my posts lately. its about the pba jeeezz man. if i may suggest, you focus on the trolls not on some decent discussion. smh

TrueBluePinoy
01-31-2012, 03:57 AM
where's the proper thread for that mod? seems you been busy deleting my posts lately. its about the pba jeeezz man. if i may suggest, you focus on the trolls not on some decent discussion. smh

It's in forum policy that OT posts will be deleted when reported. I only deleted the posts that were not within the subject matter of the thread. And it's not only your posts that I removed. Incidents have happened in the past where extremely heated discussions were exchanged because they were straying from the topic on hand which resulted to multiple bans on those who were involved.

durden_tyler
01-31-2012, 04:20 AM
It's in forum policy that OT posts will be deleted when reported. I only deleted the posts that were not within the subject matter of the thread. And it's not only your posts that I removed. Incidents have happened in the past where extremely heated discussions were exchanged because they were straying from the topic on hand which resulted to multiple bans on those who were involved.

Please discuss in proper thread. :D

acklium
01-31-2012, 06:20 AM
can somebody post here the official lineup of respective team next import laden conference?

killmebusy
01-31-2012, 08:24 AM

yeah well i guess the topic was about the pba but wasn't about trades or sign-ups. noted there.

rocketstar47
01-31-2012, 09:12 AM
With Kerby Raymundo arriving in GIN KINGS
i think it will improve their ceiling.

Big Ticket
01-31-2012, 11:09 AM
the last 3 big men ginebra got through trades (maeirhofer, raymundo & maliksi) are coming off surgeries/operations within the past year...

acklium
02-01-2012, 01:39 AM
With Kerby Raymundo arriving in GIN KINGS
i think it will improve their ceiling.

also the acquisition of maliksi and ababou will definitely lessen their security agency :p..
aren't they overloaded already?

Cryotek
02-01-2012, 10:28 AM

Any updates on this?? Thanks.

Buenafine
02-01-2012, 11:44 AM
snowbadua snow badua
RRJ+J UPDATE: The first J who is the bomber is set to explode in a new jersey. Detonating soon. RR+J to follow.

John Wilson?

nardy
02-01-2012, 12:41 PM
Coca-Cola franchise folding up?
By Nelson Beltran (http://www.philstar.com/ArticleListByAuthorName.aspx?AuthorName=Nelson+Bel tran) (The Philippine Star) Updated February 01, 2012 12:00 AM [/URL]

MANILA, Philippines - Powerade, runner-up in the PBA Philippine Cup, may be on the way out following reports that its owner, Coca-Cola Bottlers Inc., may be pulling out of the PBA in line with the new shift in its marketing thrust in the country.

Reports in PBA circles say Coca-Cola Bottlers Inc. has put the franchise up for sale with the intention to leave the league soon.

Powerade top official JB Baylon admitted there has long been “a tension” within the company (http://www.philstar.com/ArticleFeedback.aspx?articleId=773251) but denied an exit plan.

“Coca-Cola Bottlers is the franchise owner. I asked their lawyer of the sale, and he said there’s none. Matagal na yang tension na yan sa amin,” said Baylon in a text message (http://www.philstar.com/SportsArticle.aspx?articleId=773251&publicationSubCategoryId=69&keyword=#) to The STAR.

Baylon said it has been an issue from the start or since Coca-Cola took over the Pop Cola franchise. The team used to be under the giant SMC group until it was ceded to Coca-Cola International.

The team is to take its turn to assume the chairmanship of the PBA board next year. Baylon, the in-coming chair, plans to bring the board to their Atlanta headquarters in September.

Baylon is taking the issue in stride, expressing great excitement on the prospect of another good run in the second conference.

The PBA Commissioner’s Cup starts Feb. 10 with Barako Bull up against Alaska Milk and B-Meg pitted against Meralco on opening day.
[U]
The first weekend double-header on Feb. 12 features Alaska against Rain or Shine and Petron Blaze versus Barangay Ginebra.

Talk n Text opens its title defense on Feb. 17 against Meralco.

Air21 won’t see action in the tourney until Feb. 19, given some leeway by the Commissioner’s Office since the team will still await Marcus Douthit’s completion of his tour of duty in China.

For the Tigers, it’s hard not to be upbeat for the coming tourney following their Cinderella ride in the Philippine Cup and their acquisition of prized import Dwayne Jones.

Coach Bo Perasol believes they’ve built chemistry, confidence and competitiveness that make them a title contender.

For all their handicaps, the Tigers carved an incredible feat in the Philippine Cup, defying tall odds to finish second behind eventual champion Talk n Text.

They went all the way to the finals though barely making the playoffs, upsetting B-Meg in the quarterfinals and Rain or Shine in the semifinals. The Tigers survived no less than four knockout matches in their stirring playoff run that earned them respect and accolades from their peers and foes.

“The Tigers had a run which befits their team – young, scrappy talented. With a big import, they’ll be very, very tough in the second conference,” said Talk n Text coach Chot Reyes.

The Tigers are just taking a weeklong rest and will return to the training camp Monday.

They’ll be back in action in the second conference with 6-foot-11 Jones, a five-year NBA veteran with stints with the Boston Celtics, the Cleveland Cavaliers, the Charlotte Bobcats and the Phoenix Suns.

Jones is a huge inside presence who led the NBA Developmental League in rebounds in 2005 with an average of 11.7 while playing for the Florida Flame. He then also led the league in offensive rebounds (4.5) and placed third in blocks (2.0).

A product of Saint Joseph’s, the Morgantown, West Virginia native has had his experience of international plays, having played in Belgrade, China, Turkey and Puerto Rico.

Jones was signed by the Minnesota Timberwolves as an undrafted rookie free agent on Aug. 26, 2005.

Without a single official appearance for the Wolves, Jones was traded to the Boston Celtics on Jan. 27, 2006, along with Michael Olowakandi, Wally Szczerbiak and a future first-round draft choice, in exchange for Marcus Banks, Mark Blount, Ricky Davis, Justin Reed and two future conditional second-round draft choices.

He played 14 games for the Celtics during the season, averaging 1.0 points and 2.2 rebounds with a season high seven points.

Jones was traded to the Cavaliers on Oct. 13, 2006, in exchange for Luke Jackson, and appeared in four regular season games.

In his first full season as an NBA player in 2007-08, Jones averaged 1.0 point and 2.0 rebounds in 56 games.

In September 2008, Jones was signed by the Orlando Magic to play in the team’s training camp, but was released before the season started. He then signed with Turkish league club Efes Pilsen SK.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxx

will we soon see NLEX or will it be SLEX in the PBA? :p

durden_tyler
02-01-2012, 01:18 PM
Coca-Cola franchise folding up?
By Nelson Beltran (http://www.philstar.com/ArticleListByAuthorName.aspx?AuthorName=Nelson+Bel tran) (The Philippine Star) Updated February 01, 2012 12:00 AM [/URL]

MANILA, Philippines - Powerade, runner-up in the PBA Philippine Cup, may be on the way out following reports that its owner, Coca-Cola Bottlers Inc., may be pulling out of the PBA in line with the new shift in its marketing thrust in the country.

Reports in PBA circles say Coca-Cola Bottlers Inc. has put the franchise up for sale with the intention to leave the league soon.

Powerade top official JB Baylon admitted there has long been “a tension” within the company (http://www.philstar.com/ArticleFeedback.aspx?articleId=773251) but denied an exit plan.

“Coca-Cola Bottlers is the franchise owner. I asked their lawyer of the sale, and he said there’s none. Matagal na yang tension na yan sa amin,” said Baylon in a text message (http://www.philstar.com/SportsArticle.aspx?articleId=773251&publicationSubCategoryId=69&keyword=#) to The STAR.

Baylon said it has been an issue from the start or since Coca-Cola took over the Pop Cola franchise. The team used to be under the giant SMC group until it was ceded to Coca-Cola International.

The team is to take its turn to assume the chairmanship of the PBA board next year. Baylon, the in-coming chair, plans to bring the board to their Atlanta headquarters in September.

Baylon is taking the issue in stride, expressing great excitement on the prospect of another good run in the second conference.

The PBA Commissioner’s Cup starts Feb. 10 with Barako Bull up against Alaska Milk and B-Meg pitted against Meralco on opening day.
[U]
The first weekend double-header on Feb. 12 features Alaska against Rain or Shine and Petron Blaze versus Barangay Ginebra.

Talk n Text opens its title defense on Feb. 17 against Meralco.

Air21 won’t see action in the tourney until Feb. 19, given some leeway by the Commissioner’s Office since the team will still await Marcus Douthit’s completion of his tour of duty in China.

For the Tigers, it’s hard not to be upbeat for the coming tourney following their Cinderella ride in the Philippine Cup and their acquisition of prized import Dwayne Jones.

Coach Bo Perasol believes they’ve built chemistry, confidence and competitiveness that make them a title contender.

For all their handicaps, the Tigers carved an incredible feat in the Philippine Cup, defying tall odds to finish second behind eventual champion Talk n Text.

They went all the way to the finals though barely making the playoffs, upsetting B-Meg in the quarterfinals and Rain or Shine in the semifinals. The Tigers survived no less than four knockout matches in their stirring playoff run that earned them respect and accolades from their peers and foes.

“The Tigers had a run which befits their team – young, scrappy talented. With a big import, they’ll be very, very tough in the second conference,” said Talk n Text coach Chot Reyes.

The Tigers are just taking a weeklong rest and will return to the training camp Monday.

They’ll be back in action in the second conference with 6-foot-11 Jones, a five-year NBA veteran with stints with the Boston Celtics, the Cleveland Cavaliers, the Charlotte Bobcats and the Phoenix Suns.

Jones is a huge inside presence who led the NBA Developmental League in rebounds in 2005 with an average of 11.7 while playing for the Florida Flame. He then also led the league in offensive rebounds (4.5) and placed third in blocks (2.0).

A product of Saint Joseph’s, the Morgantown, West Virginia native has had his experience of international plays, having played in Belgrade, China, Turkey and Puerto Rico.

Jones was signed by the Minnesota Timberwolves as an undrafted rookie free agent on Aug. 26, 2005.

Without a single official appearance for the Wolves, Jones was traded to the Boston Celtics on Jan. 27, 2006, along with Michael Olowakandi, Wally Szczerbiak and a future first-round draft choice, in exchange for Marcus Banks, Mark Blount, Ricky Davis, Justin Reed and two future conditional second-round draft choices.

He played 14 games for the Celtics during the season, averaging 1.0 points and 2.2 rebounds with a season high seven points.

Jones was traded to the Cavaliers on Oct. 13, 2006, in exchange for Luke Jackson, and appeared in four regular season games.

In his first full season as an NBA player in 2007-08, Jones averaged 1.0 point and 2.0 rebounds in 56 games.

In September 2008, Jones was signed by the Orlando Magic to play in the team’s training camp, but was released before the season started. He then signed with Turkish league club Efes Pilsen SK.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxx

will we soon see NLEX or will it be SLEX in the PBA? :p

Yup, MVP will be the first one who'd want to jump on this opportunity. After all, SMC still has more teams than him. As for Powerade/Coke, luckily for them they had a GREAT run last conference. If Coke decides to stay (even temporarily) they have to thank Gary David's greatness for that :D

lovejones
02-01-2012, 01:23 PM
spreading like wildfire:

francistjochoa Francis Ochoa
SMC top brass and Coke PH's head reportedly have sealed sale of franchise, reports Musong Castillo. Read it on @INQUIRERSports in a bit.

durden_tyler
02-01-2012, 01:26 PM
spreading like wildfire:

francistjochoa Francis Ochoa
SMC top brass and Coke PH's head reportedly have sealed sale of franchise, reports Musong Castillo. Read it on @INQUIRERSports in a bit.

SO much for MVP's interest then. :D

lovejones
02-01-2012, 01:33 PM

San Miguel, in turns out, has the right of first refusal because the coke/powerade franchise used to be theirs. Well, SMC didn't refuse so it's bye-bye MVP lol.

durden_tyler
02-01-2012, 01:39 PM
San Miguel, in turns out, has the right of first refusal because the coke/powerade franchise used to be theirs. Well, SMC didn't refuse so it's bye-bye MVP lol.

Something so obvious that makes the superfans shiver too: Casio and Lassiter owned by SMB if indeed makes the Coke (re) acquisition. Noli Eala must be celebrating this early thinking of his national team backed by SMC this time ;)

nardy
02-01-2012, 01:43 PM

Noli is really fast with regards to taking advantage of an opportunity.

Jordan Bruiseter
02-01-2012, 01:47 PM

Do we see SMB back in the PBA? Hehehehehehe...

They can always do a Barako Bull-Shopinas(Air 21). Rename the Tigers team as Petron and name the old Petron back to SMB.

So, JB's Atlanta and Olympics trip planned for the PBA might not come to fruition anymore, eh? Too bad...

If not SMB nor MVP...

We might see Cebuana Lhuiller?
We might see Del Monte? (Which had an almost complete deal with a current team last year prior to the latter acquiring another one)

nardy
02-01-2012, 01:55 PM
Do we see SMB back in the PBA? Hehehehehehe...

They can always do a Barako Bull-Shopinas(Air 21). Rename the Tigers team as Petron and name the old Petron back to SMB.

So, JB's Atlanta and Olympics trip planned for the PBA might not come to fruition anymore, eh? Too bad...

If not SMB nor MVP...

We might see Cebuana Lhuiller?
We might see Del Monte? (Which had an almost complete deal with a current team last year prior to the latter acquiring another one)

The Del Monte Pacific (DMPL) Group owns the Del Monte brand in the Philippines where it enjoys leading market shares for canned pineapple juice and juice drinks, canned pineapple and tropical mixed fruits, tomato sauce, spaghetti sauce and tomato ketchup. Del Monte Pacific is 78.7%-owned by NutriAsia Pacific Ltd (NPL). NPL is owned by the NutriAsia Group of Companies which is in turn majority-owned by the Campos family of the Philippines.

nardy
02-01-2012, 02:04 PM
We might see the best players of the SMB at the ABL joining forces with the best players of Powerade .....

hmm JuneMar Fajardo, Chris Banchero, Junjun Cabatu with David, Casio, Lassiter, Anthony, Kramer, Cruz, Adducul, Vanlandingham

toikins
02-01-2012, 03:11 PM
We might see the best players of the SMB at the ABL joining forces with the best players of Powerade .....

hmm JuneMar Fajardo, Chris Banchero, Junjun Cabatu with David, Casio, Lassiter, Anthony, Kramer, Cruz, Adducul, Vanlandingham

will smb be given the privilege of getting players directly into their roster without entering the PBA draft?
What if they get the first pick too? Greg Slaughter!

durden_tyler
02-01-2012, 03:53 PM

Stockpiling picks has been a habit of SMC teams so yeah maybe that could happen in the near future...

Jordan Bruiseter
02-01-2012, 04:07 PM

I'd like to entertain the possibility of JuneMar being mentored by Adducul. :)

durden_tyler
02-02-2012, 01:08 AM
Al-Hussani, Douthit To Join Shopinas:

Rabah Al-Hussaini, the college star who helped Ateneo win two of its four consecutive UAAP championships and the PBA rookie of the year last season, is reportedly being offered by his team Petron to Shopinas.com in exchange for a No. 1 pick in this year’s PBA rookie draft.

PBA sources said talks are under way for the 23-year-old, 6-foot-7 center to join the league’s newest team which will carry the name Air21 starting in the Commissioner’s Cup which opens February 10.

The trade, should it happen, is expected to boost each team’s future endeavors.

Shopinas.com, which lost all of its 14 games in the just-concluded All-Filipino conference, is looking for a quick lineup boost to bury the memory of its lop-sided debut.

Petron, on the other hand, is preparing to improve further its already potent lineup by having an early pick in the coming draft that will have a mouth-watering array of college standouts that include Ateneo’s 7-footer Greg Slaughter, University of Cebu’s 6-foot-10 Junmar Fajardo and Far Eastern University’s 6-foot-7 Aldrech Ramos.

“That’s the reason why Petron is interested,” said another source.

To strengthen its lineup, Air21 has also acquired the services of Mark Isip and Nelbert Omolon from Meralco in exchange for Dennis Daa, Mark Canlas and a 2012 first round pick, which originally belongs to the Bolts in a previous trade with the team.

The team also reached an agreement with Marcus Douthit, a naturalized Filipino who played for the national team in the previous FIBA-Asia Championship, to play for Air21 in the Commissioner’s Cup set to start February 10.

Shopinas/Air21 coach Franz Pumaren said yesterday that the 6-foot-10 Douthit already “agreed in principle” to play for them next conference.

“There’s already an agreement,” said Pumaren after the team’s practice at the Green Meadows subdivision gym. “That’s what the management told us, but he’ll be joining us at least second week (of the tournament) since he’s still playing in China.”

Douthit is currently playing in the Chinese Basketball Association (CBA) with the Foshan Dralions. In a recent email sent to the PBA Commissioner’s Office, the 31-year-old Douthit said he will be available on February 18.

The PBA Board of Governors voted to make Air21 with sole rights to negotiate and get Douthit as import for the Commissioner’s Cup.

“Marcus can really help us, because we can rely on somebody down the stretch. That’s what we lacked during the Philippine Cup. We don’t have that go-to-guy,” Pumaren said.

“But having him isn’t a big of an advantage since other teams also have tall imports. So we expect a tough conference. We’re optimistic, though, that we’ll get better as compared to last conference. We have a good roster,” he added.

Taking Al Hussaini will be a little risky for Air21 though. While the Fil-Kuwaiti has proven himself capable in his rookie debut, he missed the crucial stages of the last year’s third conference finals after tearing his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL). Petron, however, went to on to win the title against Talk ’N Text that went seven games.

Since then, he hasn’t played as as he continues to recover from the surgery.

It will be a homecoming for Rabeh, however, as Air21 was the team that drafted him in 2010 before he was shipped to Petron – together with fellow newcomers Noy Baclao and Rey Guevarra – in a blockbuster deal.

Good riddance Rabeh. You were no good for us anyway.

i am about to cry at work with this nifty move.

(And oh, Air 21 got a good deal too so it's a good deal for both teams)

lovejones
02-02-2012, 02:20 AM
Powerade franchise back with San Miguel
http://sports.inquirer.net/33289/powerade-franchise-back-with-san-miguel
By Musong R. Castillo
Philippine Daily Inquirer

MANILA, Philippines – The San Miguel group may have just added a fourth team in the PBA with its recent reacquisition of the Coca-Cola bottling company.

This was learned by the Inquirer from a very unimpeachable company source after SMC president Ramon S. Ang reportedly met and closed a deal with Coca-Cola Philippines’ CEO Bill Schultz recently.

The San Miguel group actually used to own Coca-Cola before selling it in 2004.

Part of that deal was for SMC to have a right-of-first-refusal should the present Coca-Cola management decide to sell the franchise, which SMC is now exercising.

At the same time, the local executives of Coca-Cola, which played as Powerade and finished a surprising second to Talk ’N Text in the Philippine Cup last Sunday, are desperately trying to keep the Tigers even after the reported meeting between Ang and the Schultz.

Details of the purchase are being kept under wraps though the Inquirer also learned that SMC has already made a payment to Schultz in what could be the highest amount ever paid for a PBA franchise.

The Barako Bull squad was the last franchise that was put up for sale, with Bert Lina’s Air21 bagging the rights reportedly for close to P50 million last year with George Chua still retaining part ownership.

San Miguel’s purchase of the Coca-Cola franchise is reportedly easily double that amount, more so after the Tigers went deep into the playoffs and unveiled several superstars in the making in their lineup.

Selling the franchise has been in the minds of the foreign management of Coca-Cola for the past couple of years.
The source said the Tigers will reportedly remain intact until the end of the current season.

With Gary David and rookies Marcio Lassiter and JV Casio blooming into superstars, Coca-Cola/Powerade can rake in some more money by trading/selling them before the SMC takeover granted that it wasn’t included in the sale.

San Miguel already has Petron Blaze, B-Meg and Barangay Ginebra in the PBA, and should this deal be consummated, there will be only a total of four companies/personalities owning the 10 teams in the league.

Manny V. Pangilinan owns the Tropang Texters and Meralco, while Lina runs Air21 and Barako Bull.

Only billionaire Wilfred Steven Uytengsu of Alaska and the Raymund Yu-Terry Que tandem of Rain or Shine remain as the only owners with just one team in the PBA.

nardy
02-02-2012, 02:35 AM
Good riddance Rabeh. You were no good for us anyway.

i am about to cry at work with this nifty move.

(And oh, Air 21 got a good deal too so it's a good deal for both teams)

it looks SMC Group had gotten hold of 8 out of the 10 1st Round picks next year .... great job by Eala making sure they get Slaughter, Fajardo, Ramos, etc.

TrueBluePinoy
02-02-2012, 03:26 AM
Al-Hussaini deal off the table for Air 21
Reynaldo Belen, InterAKTV · Thursday, February 2, 2012 · 12:16 pm

Former Rookie of the Year Rabeh Al-Hussaini was indeed offered to the Air 21 Express, but the team previously known as the Shopinas.com Clickers refused to pay the steep price being asked by Petron for the second-year center.

Air 21 team manager Jovie Saddul denied a Manila Bulletin report that the Express were set to acquire Al-Hussaini, the No. 2 overall pick last season.

“It was brought to the table, but there were other complications as they’re trying to involve other players,” he said.

Saddul added that instead of pursuing a trade for the former Ateneo star, the Express instead closed a deal that netted them Nelbert Omolon and Mark Isip from Meralco last week. Air 21 sent Mark Canlas, Dennis Daa, and a 2012 first round pick that originally belonged to the Bolts back to Meralco.

Al-Hussaini is recovering from an ACL tear he suffered in last season’s Governors’ Cup. He was drafted by the original Air 21 franchise (now Barako Bull) before being sent to San Miguel (now Petron) in a blockbuster trade midway through his rookie year.

http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/al-hussaini-deal-off-the-table-for-air-21

durden_tyler
02-02-2012, 04:33 AM
http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/al-hussaini-deal-off-the-table-for-air-21

Maybe i shouldn't have celebrated too early. Come on Petron trade him for a scrub i don't pretty much care. :D