PDA

View Full Version : Tennis in the Philippines

interxavierxxx
08-01-2011, 07:42 AM
It's with sad notice that the Philippines still has a long way to go before it can become competitive in team sports other than basketball. Although I support the growth of football and other team sports in the country, I have to say that we also need to invest more in individual sports like tennis.

As a fan of tennis, I'd like to know the current state of the sport in the country. Do we have any potential players in the junior level? Why are all of our senior players Fil-Foreigners?

As you know, tennis is not like football or basketball where you need a professional league in the country to produce talents. It's all about going overseas and joining tournaments to strengthen your game.

sickcurtain_16
08-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Thanks for opening this thread. I'm also a fan of the sport.

Last game against NZ, we were badly beaten and we need to win the next tie against Chinese-Taipei to remain in group 1 of Asia-Oceania tie in Davis Cup.

Mamiit isn't getting any younger and we need new blood. Good thing we have Alcantara (now in US, studying ther as an athlete scholar if I'm not mistaken), Patrombon our other promising young tennis star who plays a lot internationally and won several tourneys already, and the likes of Taino,Gonzales,Sieber and Huey(who's ranked 80th in the world together with his partner Devarrman of India) are uprising athletes who are expected to be the next pillars of PHL Tennis.

Youngsters Patrombon and Alcantara are both homegrown(correct me if I'm wrong), the others are fil-fors.

If the improvement continues, I see world group in Davis cup within reach in 5-10 yrs possible for the country.

interxavierxxx
08-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Thanks for opening this thread. I'm also a fan of the sport.

Last game against NZ, we were badly beaten and we need to win the next tie against Chinese-Taipei to remain in group 1 of Asia-Oceania tie in Davis Cup.

Mamiit isn't getting any younger and we need new blood. Good thing we have Alcantara (now in US, studying ther as an athlete scholar if I'm not mistaken), Patrombon our other promising young tennis star who plays a lot internationally and won several tourneys already, and the likes of Taino,Gonzales,Sieber and Huey(who's ranked 80th in the world together with his partner Devarrman of India) are uprising athletes who are expected to be the next pillars of PHL Tennis.

Youngsters Patrombon and Alcantara are both homegrown(correct me if I'm wrong), the others are fil-fors.

If the improvement continues, I see world group in Davis cup within reach in 5-10 yrs possible for the country.

Our junior players sound promising so far. Let's hope they continue to improve so that we can at least attain a spot in the Asian tennis scene. We're relying a lot on Mamiit.

How tall is Patrombon by the way? Not that height is a huge factor in tennis but most of the top players these days are at least 6 feet. Novak Djokovic, the current Wimbledon champion and my favorite player, is 6'2.

mayfel
08-01-2011, 04:18 PM
http://forums.interbasket.net/f72/davis-cup-team-philippines-15866/

can we merged this two threads??

interxavierxxx
08-01-2011, 07:44 PM
http://forums.interbasket.net/f72/davis-cup-team-philippines-15866/

can we merged this two threads??

They are two different topics.

than11
08-01-2011, 11:05 PM
Our junior players sound promising so far. Let's hope they continue to improve so that we can at least attain a spot in the Asian tennis scene. We're relying a lot on Mamiit.

How tall is Patrombon by the way? Not that height is a huge factor in tennis but most of the top players these days are at least 6 feet. Novak Djokovic, the current Wimbledon champion and my favorite player, is 6'2.

They say Jeson is 5'8..But I think he is more like 5'6..that's how he looks to me, I seem to be taller by a couple or so inches and I'm 5'9..he is 18 by the way..1 more growth spurt(hoping)..

than11
08-01-2011, 11:21 PM
Treat Huey is currently on his career-high world ranking of #71 in doubles after reaching the finals(150pts) of LA Open with former college pal Somdev Devvarman of India. But he is to defend 180 points in the next couple of weeks as he defends his titles from Vancouver Challenger and Binghamton Challenger he won last year with another college pal, Dominic Inglot of Great Britain. He is not going to fall off the top 100 though even if he and his partner(whoever he is) fail to win a single match in the next 2 weeks..;)

If only we have another player inside top-200 of singles or doubles, we should be having a real nice shot of earning a London Olympics berth for men's doubles..I hope Marc Sieber, who is inside top-500, can make a run for it.

note: The finals stint in LA Open is his first ever finals appearance in the ATP World Tour, here's hoping for more..he earned a career-high $9000 for the effort..

edit: TS, sorry if the post was little bit OT. I just wanted to share some of Treat's exploits that never really reach our media outlets for some reasons..

than11
08-01-2011, 11:53 PM
Speaking of homegrown, Kyle Dandan should be counted in..He is a student-athlete in Santa Clara University in US NCAA, Jessica Agra also plays for their ladies' side. Tennis is an expensive sport, players need money so they can travel, play ITF or ATP tournaments, and earn ranking points. Jeson has been getting some support, thus, he was able to transition from playing junior tournaments to professional tournaments. Kyle Dandan and Nico Riego De Dios had more upside than Jeson or Francis Alcantara but they didn't have that support, add to the fact that education got in the way. It's just so sad that after graduating as one of the winningest tennis players in the history of Eastern Washington University last year, Nico didn't pursue professional tennis since he needs to start from scratch with no rankings and support at that late of an age, he was 23 then I believe. Plus he already had a college diploma to boot. I'm afraid that Kyle and Francis are heading that way as well..Treat was luckier since their school send them to play ITF events every semestral break, thus, he had a ranking when he graduated. Couple that with having a telented bestfriend with a fairly high ranking(Somdev Devvarman) who is willing to accomodate him as doubles partner. He was able to gain points riding Somdev's back until he was ready to be on his own.

It should be interesting to note that most of the high-ranking tennisters nowadays jump from juniors to professional tennis without playing college tennis..that's the way to go if there's enough support. Sadly, regular Filipino families are not ready for that. Most parents would prefer having their kids go to college..

seigle42
08-02-2011, 03:47 PM
Felicisimo Ampon and Raymundo Deyro are still the greatest filipino tennisters in all-time. Ampon was 14 that he won 1934 Far Eastern Games gold medal.

sickcurtain_16
08-03-2011, 03:10 PM
Thanks for sharing those info than11. You're right, it will be a waste of talent if Alcantara will start playing professionally after college. Hopefully, he'll have the same experience that Huey had. For Patrombon, hope he'll stay fit and continue his winning ways. He has a lot of things ahead of him.

If our country is serious in supporting tennis, like basketball, we have a lot of promising talents around. We just lack exposure and competitions to improve our players' game.

than11
08-06-2011, 05:38 AM
Jeson is in the Entry List for USA F22 Futures(Aug 8-14). He is 5 out of the main draw, he will need to go through the qualifying rounds to make it . He failed to to make it past the qualifying round in this week's F21. Hope he earns some points this week but it's a long shot. USA Futures is tough. Maybe this is part of his preparations for his last shot at a juniors slam in US Open.

than11
08-09-2011, 07:01 PM
Jeson Patrombon qualifies to the Main Draw. Mico Santiago, a US-based Filipino also qualifies. Fil-Italian Marc Reyes failed to hurdle his 2nd qualifying round match.

USA F22 Futures Qualifying Draw
QR1 Jeson Patrombon (PHI, 1396) bye
QR2 Jeson PATROMBON (PHI, 1396) bt George CARTLEDGE (USA, Unr) 6-0 6-0
QR3 Jeson PATROMBON (PHI, 1396) bt Andrey BOLDAREV (UZB, Unr) 6-0 6-3
QR4 Jeson PATROMBON (PHI, 1396) bt Peter KOBELT (USA, Unr) 6-7 6-4 6-4

QR1 Mico SANTIAGO (USA, Unr) bt Chris NOWAK (USA, Unr) W/O
QR2 Mico SANTIAGO (USA, Unr) bt Venkat IYER (IND, Unr) 4-6 7-6 6-2
QR3 Mico SANTIAGO (USA, Unr) bt Zeke HINDLE (USA, Unr) 6-4 6-2
QR4 Mico SANTIAGO (USA, Unr) bt Michael HUI (USA, Unr) 6-1 6-2

QR1 Marc REYES (ITA, Unr) bt Joey FRANK (USA, Unr) 6-2 6-4
QR2 Marc REYES (ITA, Unr) l Jeremiah FULLER (USA, Unr) 5-7 6-4 2-6

than11
09-02-2011, 04:41 AM
2011 US OPEN
Round 1: DEVVARMAN/HUEY bt ANDREEV/KUNITSYN 6-3 6-4
(first-ever main draw win for Filipino Davis Cupper Treat Huey in a Slam)

Jeffie
09-02-2011, 04:34 PM
I'm glad there is a thread like this, I've also been following the ATP tour since 2001. :D
I live near Columbian in Paco, Manila, and I do see some ITF-sanctioned tournaments being held there. Do we have any emerging talent who you know have joined tournaments in the Metro?
How about the daughters of Alvin Patrimonio? Are they good? :)

Off-Topic: Watched a great US Open Men's Tennis match earlier today on Balls TV, Juan Carlos Ferrero turning back the clock and upsetting 7th-seeded Gael Monfils in a 5-set epic! :eek: I can still remember Ferrero during his run between 2001-2003, he was one of the top 10 tennis players in the world, and even reached World #1 when he won the 2003 French Open.

than11
09-02-2011, 07:42 PM
I'm glad there is a thread like this, I've also been following the ATP tour since 2001. :D
I live near Columbian in Paco, Manila, and I do see some ITF-sanctioned tournaments being held there. Do we have any emerging talent who you know have joined tournaments in the Metro?
How about the daughters of Alvin Patrimonio? Are they good? :)

The younger of the Patrimonio siblings looks promising. She's extremely successful in ITF lower-tier junior events over the past 12 months, reaching 5finals and winning 2 of them. However, she had failed to rack up wins in the higher-tiered events, almost always losing in the early rounds to higher ranked players. Her few and far in between participation in these higher-tiered events may be the reason. She needs to be constantly playing against world-class players to further develop her skills. She is currently ranked 120th in the world for junior girls and on her last year of eligibility. I hope Alvin can convince SMC to support her so she can travel and compete in ITF women's circuit. She has some very encouraging losses to some decent professional players like her 5-7 2-6 loss to Chen Yi who was ranked as high as 377th in world and is 7 years older. She also just lost 4-6 2-6 to Damayanti of Indonesia who was ranked as high as 257th and is 5 years older.

Talk about emerging talent, I'm still high on 15 y/o Jurence Mendoza. He is currently ranked 516th among junior boys. He was just 14 when he won the PHINMA tournament last year beating a then 17 y/o Thai ranked as high as 87th in the world in the finals, 6-1 6-2!!! I mean, it was not even close. He beat 4 others on the way to the title, all of whom are ranked much higher and older than him.

Jeffie
09-02-2011, 08:12 PM
The younger of the Patrimonio siblings looks promising. She's extremely successful in ITF lower-tier junior events over the past 12 months, reaching 5finals and winning 2 of them. However, she had failed to rack up wins in the higher-tiered events, almost always losing in the early rounds to higher ranked players. Her few and far in between participation in these higher-tiered events may be the reason. She needs to be constantly playing against world-class players to further develop her skills. She is currently ranked 120th in the world for junior girls and on her last year of eligibility. I hope Alvin can convince SMC to support her so she can travel and compete in ITF women's circuit. She has some very encouraging losses to some decent professional players like her 5-7 2-6 loss to Chen Yi who was ranked as high as 377th in world and is 7 years older. She also just lost 4-6 2-6 to Damayanti of Indonesia who was ranked as high as 257th and is 5 years older.

Yeah, Alvin should approach SMC for sponsorship if his daughter is this good. I agree with you that racking up match exposure with "higher competition", I guess in all sports, does wonders. Has she represented the Philippine Jr. Davis Cup before?

Talk about emerging talent, I'm still high on 15 y/o Jurence Mendoza. He is currently ranked 516th among junior boys. He was just 14 when he won the PHINMA tournament last year beating a then 17 y/o Thai ranked as high as 87th in the world in the finals, 6-1 6-2!!! I mean, it was not even close. He beat 4 others on the way to the title, all of whom are ranked much higher and older than him.

Good info.. Thanks for sharing. I've looked up Jurence, and the latest news I can find is his inclusion to the Philippine Jr. Davis Cup contingents. Link is http://www.philstar.com/thedeanscorner/articlescontent.aspx?articleid=657596&publicationsubcategoryid=69

It does say in the article how dominant he was against the Thai you mentioned! :D

*Excerpts from the article:
Last December, Mendoza beat Thailandís Nuttanon Kadchapanan, 7-5, 6-2, to claim the Week 2 Phinma international junior tennis championship at the Rizal Memorial courts. Then, he produced solid results in a pair of International Tennis Federation (ITF) 18-and-under tournaments in Hong Kong and Guangzhou.

In Hong Kong, Mendoza thrashed Thailandís Congsup Congcar, 6-0, 6-1, but lost to hometowner Kwun Ho James Kong, ranked No. 267 in the world, 6-4, 6-3.

Jeffie
09-02-2011, 08:16 PM
2011 US OPEN
Round 1: DEVVARMAN/HUEY bt ANDREEV/KUNITSYN 6-3 6-4
(first-ever main draw win for Filipino Davis Cupper Treat Huey in a Slam)

Wow, Huey partnered with Devvarman.. He was the guy who gave Andy Murray a run for his money in the 1st set of their 1st Round Singles match, hehe.. I hope Treat learns from this guy, so he can get into the Singles Main Draw of any ATP Tourney, not necessarily a Slam.

than11
09-03-2011, 04:33 AM
Yeah, Alvin should approach SMC for sponsorship if his daughter is this good. I agree with you that racking up match exposure with "higher competition", I guess in all sports, does wonders. Has she represented the Philippine Jr. Davis Cup before?

Fed Cup, yes..both for junior Fed Cup and Fed Cup(at such a young age), I believe. It's the ladies' version of Davis Cup.

Good info.. Thanks for sharing. I've looked up Jurence, and the latest news I can find is his inclusion to the Philippine Jr. Davis Cup contingents. Link is http://www.philstar.com/thedeanscorner/articlescontent.aspx?articleid=657596&publicationsubcategoryid=69

It does say in the article how dominant he was against the Thai you mentioned! :D

*Excerpts from the article:
Last December, Mendoza beat Thailandís Nuttanon Kadchapanan, 7-5, 6-2, to claim the Week 2 Phinma international junior tennis championship at the Rizal Memorial courts. Then, he produced solid results in a pair of International Tennis Federation (ITF) 18-and-under tournaments in Hong Kong and Guangzhou.

In Hong Kong, Mendoza thrashed Thailandís Congsup Congcar, 6-0, 6-1, but lost to hometowner Kwun Ho James Kong, ranked No. 267 in the world, 6-4, 6-3.

I don't know where Philippine Star took their stats..I double checked the ITF site. 7-5 6-2 is the scoreline in his semifinal victory over 366th-ranked Yu Cheng-yu. And 6-1 6-2 over Kadchapanan in the finals. His recent results aren't much indication of how good he really is as I believe they're on the process of fine tuning his game, trying out some things maybe.. Here, check his results out.. :)
http://www.itftennis.com/juniors/players/activity.asp?player=100162220

than11
09-03-2011, 04:59 AM
Wow, Huey partnered with Devvarman.. He was the guy who gave Andy Murray a run for his money in the 1st set of their 1st Round Singles match, hehe.. I hope Treat learns from this guy, so he can get into the Singles Main Draw of any ATP Tourney, not necessarily a Slam.

Yeah, he and Somdev are buddies from way back in college(UVA). They were ranked #1-ranked doubles team in US NCAA in 2008 or 2007, not sure(#2 on the year they were not #1, so does not really matter I think..hehe!) They made the finals of LA Open last month.

Unfortunately, he can't use his doubles ranking to make it to the entry list of ATP events. He has to use his singles ranking which is around 800:o On the other hand, singles ranking(if higher than the doubles rank) can be use for entry into doubles events. He has to work his way up through qualifying matches if his ranking even makes the cut for the qualifying draw.."naiwanan na kase singles ranking nya dahil sa bilis ng angat nya sa doubles"

Jeffie
09-03-2011, 04:59 AM
Fed Cup, yes..both for junior Fed Cup and Fed Cup(at such a young age), I believe. It's the ladies' version of Davis Cup.

Yeah, Fed Cup is what it was called, sorry.. Been following the Men's circuit more, so I overlooked that bit of info. :p

I don't know where Philippine Star took their stats..I double checked the ITF site. 7-5 6-2 is the scoreline in his semifinal victory over 366th-ranked Yu Cheng-yu. And 6-1 6-2 over Kadchapanan in the finals. His recent results aren't much indication of how good he really is as I believe they're on the process of fine tuning his game, trying out some things maybe.. Here, check his results out.. :)
http://www.itftennis.com/juniors/players/activity.asp?player=100162220

Thanks for sharing that. Looking at his results, it seems like Jurence is a very streaky performer. If he's on a roll, he's on a roll! :D When he reached the QF of the 43rd Brunei ITF Junior Circuit, he hammered the competition! (although I really don't know the players who he played against if they are just outmatched by Jurence) I hope he can develop match consistency. Certainly someone to watch now, thanks for introducing him to me! :D

Jeffie
09-03-2011, 05:03 AM
Yeah, he and Somdev are buddies from way back in college(UVA). They were ranked #1-ranked doubles team in US NCAA in 2008 or 2007, not sure(#2 on the year they were not #1, so does not really matter I think..hehe!) They made the finals of LA Open last month.

Unfortunately, he can't use his doubles ranking to make it to the entry list of ATP events. He has to use his singles ranking which is around 800:o On the other hand, singles ranking(if higher than the doubles rank) can be use for entry into doubles events. He has to work his way up through qualifying matches if his ranking even makes the cut for the qualifying draw.."naiwanan na kase singles ranking nya dahil sa bilis ng angat nya sa doubles"

True man.. Someone who's successful in Doubles really just concentrates on it rather than stress himself out with worrying about Singles as well.
Best example: Todd Woodbridge of Australia. He won only 2 singles titles in his career and best Slam result was a SF showing in '97, but he won a Career Slam in the doubles category, mostly with Jonas Bjorkman of Sweden.

than11
09-03-2011, 05:22 AM
True man.. Someone who's successful in Doubles really just concentrates on it rather than stress himself out with worrying about Singles as well.
Best example: Todd Woodbridge of Australia. He won only 2 singles titles in his career and best Slam result was a SF showing in '97, but he won a Career Slam in the doubles category, mostly with Jonas Bjorkman of Sweden.

OT:
hmmm..I always thought he had his best results playing with Mark Woodforde..The Woodies? remember? hehe!

than11
09-04-2011, 06:55 PM
Round 2: SOMDEV DEVVARMAN/TREAT CONRAD HUEY defeated JUAN IGNACIO CHELA/EDUARDO SCHWANK(14,Arg) 6-3 6-4

Goodluck to Jeson Patrombon in the Juniors division!..

Jeffie
09-06-2011, 03:01 PM
OT:
hmmm..I always thought he had his best results playing with Mark Woodforde..The Woodies? remember? hehe!

Ahh.. Well, I could remember watching more titles with him and Bjorkman, so that's what I cited. :D

than11
09-19-2012, 12:26 AM
Philippines lost it's promotion bid against Indonesia in the Asia/Oceania Group 2 tie. Treat Huey is really on a different level, he smoked Indonesia's #2. While INA's #1 Cristopher Rungkat struggled before winning against the unranked Francis Alcantara.

Quite unfortunate that Treat injured his shoulder in the first set of the doubles match, which is where he is at his best being SEA's best doubles player by far. He and Ruben Gonzales were able to finish the match but lost in 4 sets. Philippines needed to sweep the reverse singles but it was over really when Treat was declared not fit enough to compete further.

Maybe it's time to call up Dennis Lajola and/or Marc Sieber, our local players are not yet up to the task. Alcantara showed flashes of the future by winning the dead rubber 5th match, and extending Rungkat to 4 sets. He could have even made it a 5-setter if not for some questionable line calls by the Indonesian linesmen. Jeson Patrombon has been disappointing recently.

Servinio
03-27-2013, 06:11 AM
http://servssports.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/milo_clinics2013.jpg?w=300&h=225 (http://servssports.wordpress.com/2013/03/22/milo-clinics-for-summer-2013/)

Do you want your child to be the next Filipino tennis superstar? Get your child into sports this summer by joining the different MILO Sports Clinics. READ MORE (http://servssports.wordpress.com/2013/03/22/milo-clinics-for-summer-2013/).

Servinio
11-18-2014, 04:35 PM
Win FREE tickets to the games to be hosted by the Philippines from November 28 to 30 at the SM Mall of Asia Arena and cheer for Maria Sharapova, Andy Murray and the rest of the Manila Mavericks!

https://servssports.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/g4v-fsnk_400x400.jpeg?w=150&h=150 (https://servssports.wordpress.com/2014/11/19/sharapova-murray-to-lead-manila-mavericks/)

THE BIGGEST tennis event to hit the Philippines in recent memory, the International Premier Tennis League (IPTL), will be held from November 28 to 30 at the Mall of Asia Arena in Pasay City. Some of the biggest names in the game will arrive for the inaugural leg of the novel four-team competition. READ MORE (https://servssports.wordpress.com/2014/11/19/sharapova-murray-to-lead-manila-mavericks/)