PDA

View Full Version : Johnny "Flying A" Abarrientos vs Jimmy "Mighty Mouse" Alapag

Saskibaloia
04-30-2011, 01:17 AM
G'day Lads,

Two awesome Point Guards!
Two awesome Players!
Two awesome Franchise Players!
Two awesome Leaders!

Who is the better point guard in terms of individual and team achievements?

Who would you choose to start a franchise?

If the game is on the line who would you prefer to take the shot?

If you were the Filipino National Team Coach, which of these two players would you choose?

Both of them were great players for their respective teams and both have achieved so much.

ctongco
04-30-2011, 02:43 AM
Both Jimmy and Johnny are very talented. I like the way they both play. They are offensive powerhouses. I believe Jimmy is more athletic than Johnny while Johnny is a better defensive player. Both have represented our country very well.

For now, it will be very hard to choose between the two. Johnny takes this one by the slimmest of margins because of his MVP year. However, Jimmy has more playing years ahead of him and he does have what it takes to be as great if not greater than the Flying A.

durden_tyler
04-30-2011, 03:05 AM
i love Jimmy Alapag probably my favorite point guard now since Olsen is retiring. But heck, Johnny Abbarientos was in a different level. The only clear advantage i see Alapag has over Abbarientos is his three point shooting and better range.

All else it's Abbarientos over Alapag: consistency,help defense, one-on-one defense, ability to run a team effectively, decision-making, LEADERSHIP.

In my book, he's the GOAT among point guards.

dxjayrock2008
04-30-2011, 03:23 AM
I choose both of them. They're my favorite Pinoy bball players. :cool:

theImbaguy
04-30-2011, 04:15 AM
I'll choose the guy who played in the era of short shorts...
short shorts got goat swag, nobody else today can match the short shorts(maybe except jdv's afro)

flying A played against the best guards of the pba history, and made a grandslam, got the most steals, blah blah blah
while jimmy got the better touch from the outside and is on the hunt for his own grandslam(1 down 2 more to go)

all in all. It's the short shorts that clinched it for the flying A...

sergio23
04-30-2011, 04:21 AM
Jimmy A over Johhny A XD

QWERTY1234
04-30-2011, 04:56 AM
Johnny A. is the best point guard in the pba history....

Beastly
04-30-2011, 06:02 AM
Johnny lead his team to Grandslam, Alapag hasn't. Johnny won MVP.

capitantiago
04-30-2011, 12:12 PM
Johnny A. is the best point guard in the pba history....

what? you have already forgotten the Big J who nearly averaged a triple double in a season?

and how about the quick brown fox or the director?

BGK_Panatiks
04-30-2011, 12:18 PM
The flying mouse of course,whoever that may be! Hahays labet!

Sakamoto
04-30-2011, 06:14 PM
of course the flying A because of his "kili kili shot". pang nba ika nga ni dr.J andy jao.

koralman2007
05-01-2011, 03:32 PM
Flying A is the best point guard PBA had....:D

grand slam team... :cool:

NBA try outs offer/ but declined :(

kaiziken_pinas
05-01-2011, 04:13 PM
Johnny lead his team to Grandslam, Alapag hasn't. Johnny won MVP.

Alapag will lead TnT to a grandslam this year.:D. seriously

But still, Johnny A FTW

Beastly
05-01-2011, 04:51 PM
Alapag will lead TnT to a grandslam this year.:D. seriously

But still, Johnny A FTW

He'll be out at the 3rd confy :P

kaiziken_pinas
05-01-2011, 04:54 PM
He'll be out at the 3rd confy :P

oh crap. I forgot.:D

Mikeeesuave
05-01-2011, 05:41 PM
of course the flying A because of his "kili kili shot". pang nba ika nga ni dr.J andy jao.

Yes!:) the kili kill shot that he even used versus Japan...I think he used it over a 7' player of Japan:)

The_Big_Cat
05-02-2011, 05:39 AM
Yes!:) the kili kill shot that he even used versus Japan...I think he used it over a 7' player of Japan:)

I believe Johnny used that famous left handed "kili-kili" shot over Japan's Yamasaki.

Johnny Abarrientos hands down. Johnny was a former college MVP, college champion, gold medal winning team in the SEA Games, multi-PBA champion and PBA MVP.

tru3north
05-17-2011, 12:38 AM
Here's a Jimmy Alapag play alike. This kid is only 15 years old (5'6") but is used to playing (and scoring) against 6'3" - 6'8" players.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaLYwrBaLnM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK82YqMpwzA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWG-FHTpv1U

Cheers!

mj_realm
05-17-2011, 02:43 AM
i love Jimmy Alapag probably my favorite point guard now since Olsen is retiring. But heck, Johnny Abbarientos was in a different level. The only clear advantage i see Alapag has over Abbarientos is his three point shooting and better range.

All else it's Abbarientos over Alapag: consistency,help defense, one-on-one defense, ability to run a team effectively, decision-making, LEADERSHIP.

In my book, he's the GOAT among point guards.

This. ;)

Triggerman
05-17-2011, 03:51 AM
Johnny A for me is 2nd best point guard ever.

Jaworski
Abarrientos
Calma
Brown
Magsanoc
Alapag
Fabiosa
Lim Eng Beng

EaglesEye
05-17-2011, 07:51 AM
Flying A is the best point guard PBA had....:D

grand slam team... :cool:

NBA try outs offer/ but declined :(

I also agree that Johnny was one of the finest point guards to play in the PBA.

But please don't exaggrerate things.
He declined when offered an NBA try out?
In 1994, the Charlotte Hornets got interest on him.
They even sent a scout to watch him play live.
But after that, there's no more words of interest
from the NBA team.

Who would decline an NBA offer in the first place, right?
Even some of the PBA imports who already have contracts
in their current teams will pretend to be injured or whatever
excuses and alibis just to be able to go home and grab the opportunity
to attend an NBA try out or summer camp.
But with the less known Johnny Abarrientos,
he will decline an NBA tryout offer?

DS_42
05-17-2011, 10:47 AM
I also agree that Johnny was one of the finest point guards to play in the PBA.

But please don't exaggrerate things.
He declined when offered an NBA try out?
In 1994, the Charlotte Hornets got interest on him.
They even sent a scout to watch him play live.
But after that, there's no more words of interest
from the NBA team.

Who would decline an NBA offer in the first place, right?
Even some of the PBA imports who already have contracts
in their current teams will pretend to be injured or whatever
excuses and alibis just to be able to go home and grab the opportunity
to attend an NBA try out or summer camp.
But with the less known Johnny Abarrientos,
he will decline an NBA tryout offer?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i think it was Alaska who refused to let Johny go.

EaglesEye
05-18-2011, 03:59 AM

It's hard to believe still that Alaska stopped him..
Coz the Alaska management welcomed that development upon hearing that news.
Steve Uytengsu himself said that if Johnny will will invited for an NBA try-out, he will not stop him. It's an honor for him if ever the first home grown Asian player to play in the NBA will come from his team.

So neither Johnny nor Alaska declined of that very rare NBA offer (if there was any). It's only that, nothing (offer) came after NBA scouts saw Johnny played live.

The_Big_Cat
05-18-2011, 04:24 AM

If I recall it correctly, Quinito Henson wrote an article about this more than a decade ago. He said that the Charlotte Hornet scout, Betancourt (forgot the 1st name) promised a tryout for Abarrientos but it never came.

I hope someone could provide the archive for this.

EaglesEye
05-18-2011, 06:40 AM
If I recall it correctly, Quinito Henson wrote an article about this more than a decade ago. He said that the Charlotte Hornet scout, Betancourt (forgot the 1st name) promised a tryout for Abarrientos but it never came.

This could be more credible reason. I also red that article of Quinito Henson in his column Sporting Chance, years ago.
Rather than saying that Johnny was invited but declined nor saying Alaska did not allow him to try out.... those are very impractical reasons for a Filipino player who failed in his NBA dreams.

So to my fellow forumers here, please stop exaggrerating things like this. Make sure that you have facts before posting and please don't post even just an opinion but without any basis.

Sakamoto
05-18-2011, 05:04 PM

its Joe Betancourt

Lebron23
05-19-2011, 10:24 AM
Johhny Abbarientos. He's a better 2 way player than Jimmy Alapag. The Flying A is probably the best defensive PG in PBA History.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRqKTcG4H1s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rs6Cr_IOuc

Triggerman
05-20-2011, 04:43 PM
whether Johnny A decline or Alaska or the charlotte deal dint push thru the fact that an NBA team showed interest in a player, he must be a super basketball player. so to answer your question. if you were already watching and understands the game during the reign of abarrientos you will definitely pick him over alapag. the only thing alapag has is the consistent shooting from the 3 point line. other than that johhny is better than jimmy on all aspect of the game. :)