Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US: Inverted Philippine flag was `honest mistake'

US: Inverted Philippine flag was `honest mistake'

MANILA, Philippines – The U.S. government said Sunday it made an "honest mistake" when it displayed an inverted Philippine flag — which wrongfully signified that the Southeast Asian nation was in a state of war — in a meeting hosted by President Barack Obama.

The Philippine flag was displayed upside down behind President Benigno Aquino III when leaders of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations met Obama in New York on Friday.

"This was an honest mistake," U.S. Embassy spokeswoman Rebecca Thompson said in a statement, adding, "the U.S. treasures its close relationship and close partnership with the Philippines."

The American embassy will find out how the "unfortunate" incident happened, she said.

Philippine foreign affairs department spokesman Ed Malaya said the government understood that it was "an honest error" that "should not detract from the true significance of the summit, which showed the unprecedented cooperation between the ASEAN and the U.S."

It was not immediately clear who pointed out the mistake. A photograph of Aquino sitting beside Obama with the inverted flag behind them was displayed on a government website Sunday but its caption did not point out the error.

During the summit, Obama discussed ways of bolstering economic ties between the U.S. and Southeast Asia as well as Asian regional concerns such as territorial disputes in the South China Sea and Nov. 7 elections in military-ruled Myanmar.

Was there any reaction to this in the Philippines?

i don't think the public had a general reaction at all. no one hates Obama for it. personally, i think it's funny.

i haven't seen our flag displayed upside down since a San Miguel Beer Commercial almost 20 years ago when FPJ was riding a horse and it was like a depiction of the war against the Americans.

Comment

we talking about americans here guys..

but still, lucky for you guys, that flag still recognized as Philippine's flag
      because if they put our flag upside down, it become Poland
      "BHINEKA TUNGGAL IKA"

Comment

wow that embarrassing

and then we wonder why other countries think we are an arrogant and ignorant country

Good work Oby' !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
          wow that embarrassing

and then we wonder why other countries think we are an arrogant and ignorant country

Good work Oby' !!!!
          We are always in a state of war anyway (at least Filipino posters vs. Filipino/non-Filipino posters here in IBN) so who cares.
          If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Comment

Originally posted by durden_tyler View Post
            We are always in a state of war anyway (at least Filipino posters vs. Filipino/non-Filipino posters here in IBN) so who cares.
            hehe ,may i request the mods to provide us inverted flags in the

Comment

didn't notice it. ^_^.

although we see a lot of it during Pac Fights

Comment

No Need for US Apology over Inverted RP flag, Palace Says
                By GENALYN KABILING
                September 27, 2010, 6:46pm

The inverted Philippine flag is displayed behind President Aquino during the news conference with United States President Barack Obama at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York last Friday, September 24, 2010 (Saturday, Manila time). (Malacañang photo)

MANILA, Philippines — Malacañang will not demand a formal apology from the US government over the inverted Philippine flag displayed in a recent meeting between US President Barack Obama and Southeast Asian leaders in the US, saying it was “not an intentional insult” to the country.

Presidential Spokesman Edwin Lacierda said they are satisfied with the explanation of the US embassy in Manila that the display of the Philippine flag upside down during the US-ASEAN summit in New York City was an honest mistake.

Lacierda said they would rather “move on” after the unintended blunder made by the US government, which hosted the US-ASEAN summit in New York City, and welcome the strong relations between the Philippines and the United States.

“We are satisfied that they recognized it was an honest mistake. What’s important our relations continue to be friendly. It was not an intentional faux pas on their part,” he said when asked the Philippine government will seek a formal apology from the US.

“What we realized is these things happen. This thing not only happened to us, it has also happened previously to other countries’ flag. What’s important, it was a mistake that they recognized, it was an honest mistake and therefore we move on. We believe what’s more important is the relationship between the US and the Philippines and the good news when the President comes home tomorrow,” he added.

Lacierda said Philippine protocol officers noticed the country’s inverted flag and immediately called the attention of their US counterparts prior to the US-ASEAN assembly. The tight security, however, prevented an immediate change to the Philippine flag.

“We informed them but they tried to do their best to rectify the situation,” he said. “Unfortunately, the security was tight. They weren’t able to make the changes to the inverted flag,” he added.

Comment

President Obama:Are you always at a state of war?

President Aquino:HELL YEAH!!!!

Follow my blogs and tweets. http://dxjayrocksnotes.blogspot.com/ and https://twitter.com/dxjayrock

Road To Rio 2016.

Kwentong Gilas ~ Gilas Serye. LMAO!!!

Comment

This is for my homies!!!!
                    "A nationality that easily feels wronged is an insecure one, and one that will be difficult to progress."-Anonymous

Comment

American officials have already apologized..and whether they made an apology or not who cares hohum. We have so many problems in our lives to raise a howl for an inverted phil. flag hohum..
                      “I think our point guards are small,” “Not to say that our point guards are not good, but I believe that we need bigger point guards.”
                      - SBP President Manny V. Pangilinan

Wanted: Philippine version of Jordan's talented backcourt tandem of 6'5" Sam Daghlas & 6'4" Rashem Wright

Comment

Shame on who? Sigh..

Comment

Originally posted by mcampbell075 View Post
                          Shame on who? Sigh..

President Aquino's advance party. Lol.
                          Follow my blogs and tweets. http://dxjayrocksnotes.blogspot.com/ and https://twitter.com/dxjayrock

Road To Rio 2016.

Kwentong Gilas ~ Gilas Serye. LMAO!!!

Comment

Yes, it's an honest mistake.

One day, at a school where I was working, somebody accidentally hung the American flag upside down outside the school building. A parent came into the building and said, "hey, I think the flag is upside down." No problem. The principal went outside and changed it.

Yeah, somebody could probably make a big complaint and say "oh, that's disrespecting America" or "what disrespect toward the Philippines," but they are just honest mistakes.
                            "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

so honest that it was a mistake
                              [http://basketball.powerplaymanager.c...a=201410504468

“Ang hirap kasi sa kanya, kapit tuko siya sa pwesto niya. Hangga’t pupuwede ayaw niyang bumitaw. Dapat dyan automatic yan nagre-resign siya, bigyan ng chance ang iba." -Abe King

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information