Asian Rugby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asian Rugby

Philippines is making a statement. Another sport to watch out for.

Another Sport NSA to support and another team to cheer on. GO VOLCANOES!

Philippine Volcanoes explode in Asian rugby
    6/08/2010 | Rugby | 10 comments »

source: Jaime Augusto Zobel De Ayala | philstar.com

Something great happened this weekend, an event that would make Filipinos very proud... if they only knew about it.

The Philippines, the newest addition and lowest-ranked team in Division 2 of the Asian 5 Nations (A5N) Rugby, destroyed powerhouse Thailand in the semis and home favorite India in the final to win theDivision 2 Championship.

Our team, nicknamed the Philippine Volcanoes, is unbeaten in three years in the Asian Rugby Football Union (ARFU), having seized the Division 4 Championship in 2008, the Division 3 Championship in 2009, and now Division 2. With this win, they charge into Division 1 of the A5N in 2011, making this the longest promotion streak in ARFU history.

Amazing, given that until last year the Philippines wasn’t even a full member of the International Rugby Board. More amazing when you consider that few people (most of them expats) follow or care about the sport locally.

The Philippine Volcanoes dominated their larger opponents in the final, restricting the Indian team to scoring at the beginning and at the end of the match. “It was a physical game with India,” says team captain Michael Letts. “The boys stepped up to the plate and did what they were told. Our forwards laid the platform for the team.”

“Coach Expo Mejia taught us discipline,” adds Oliver Saunders, who with his brothers Ben and Matt had scored a combined 38 points in the Filipinos’ 55-33 victory over Thailand in the semifinals. “The team stuck to the game plan and structure. And we never gave up.”

“The team showed aggressiveness,” coach Mejia notes. “A lot of our players play overseas, and their experience showed. There was unity among the team. Tactically they got it right and did everything that was asked of them. Another factor is that they are very fit.”

Phil Abraham was named Man of the Match in the semifinal against Thailand, and Chris Hitch in the final against India. All 24 players on the roster were able to play.

I learned of the existence of the Philippine Rugby Football Union (PRFU) when I was contacted by their secretary-general Alvin San Diego. When Jessica Zafra interviewed me for ThePhilippine STAR I had mentioned my passion for rugby, which I played in school in England from the age of 9 to my late teens. I was impressed by what the PRFU had achieved with the most modest of resources, and their determination to put together an effectivePhilippine rugby program and team.

It turns out that there is plenty of Filipino talent playing rugby abroad - both Filipinos of mixed ethnicity and those whose parents had migrated. The PRFU has a formal process for identifying and recruiting Filipino talent throughout the world, among them Expo Mejia, a first-class Filipino coach who had worked with the Waratahs in Australia. The Waratahs are a household word in Australia; many of their players have played for the Australian national team.

It was clear that the PRFU board, which includes committed expats like team manager Matt Cullen, were serious in their efforts. Globe CEO Ernest Cu and I committed to watch the national team and help them with sponsorships. As an enabler of communication across national borders, the support of a telecom company like Globe had resonance and relevance.

The newly formed Philippine Volcanoes played an exhibition match last week against the Parañaque-based team Nomads. They had not yet played together as a team, but they were physically imposing, well-trained athletes who obviously played at the competitive level. It was fascinating to see Filipinos from different countries come together to play at home. I have always believed in the Global Filipino, and this is an extraordinary example of the Pinoy talent that resides all over the world.

According to coach Mejia, there are many other nationally ranked Filipino heritage players he could not get hold of for personal and professional reasons, from a massive prop forward in the national league in Italy to players in Japan.

I was also impressed by the commitment of the players. I asked one of the players, Justin Coveney, what he did and he said he was a lawyer in Sydney. When I asked him how he got time off to come and play in the Philippines with no pay or professional commitments he said, “When my firm heard that I was coming here to play rugby and represent my country of origin, they let me go without a moment’s hesitation, with full pay. Representing your country in a rugby match is the highest honor anyone can achieve.”

This weekend I was glued to two different rugby tournaments on two continents at the same time. I was physically present for the inaugural US Collegiate Sevens in Columbus, Ohio, where my son Jaime Alfonso was playing on the Harvard team. Meanwhile, I followed the AsianDivision 2 championship half a world away, in New Delhi, India, through text updates from my sister Bea. She was in Delhi to cheer on her son Jaime Urquijo Zobel, captain of the Notre Dame University rugby team until he graduated this year, and now a member of the Philippine men’s 15’s rugby national team.

Family ties are the real glue of Philippine society. Some will question just how Filipino the national rugby team is, with players named Saunders, Morris, Letts, Zappia on board. This is a Filipino heritage team in accordance with International Rugby Board standards, composed of players with a Filipino parent or grandparents. Any doubts as to whether they are Pinoy are erased when one sees the team’s entourage: Filipino mothers and fathers, traveling at their own expense to support aPhilippine team few of us know about. There are four sets of brothers on the RP team (the names listed earlier), surely a record in any sport.

I relayed the ongoing match scores by text to Jessica in Manila, who posted them on her blog while waiting for the A5N Twitter feeds. Incredible what technology now allows us to do. It was particularly engaging because a small group of spectators around me in the stands in Columbus wanted to be kept informed about the results of thePhilippine Rugby team on the other side of the world. Every time our Philippine team scored in Delhi, a small group of spectators would cheer in Columbus, Ohio for no reason that was obvious to the rest of the crowd. It happened quite a bit as thePhilippine team scored regularly - it was quite surreal.

Rugby is a highly physical and demanding sport that has moved from its “amateur” roots to a global sport at both the 15s and Sevens level. You now regularly see small Pacific countries like Samoa and Fiji play alongside traditional powerhouses like England and New Zealand, and win! Not only is it exciting to watch, but this is a game that is bringing together the diverse Filipino talent across the globe. To watch a team come together from all over the world, and to see the players so excited and proud to represent their mother country, has been moving and fulfilling. I look forward to seeing them hoist a medal at the Asian Games. - With Jessica Zafra

Congrats to the Volcanoes for ruling the A5N D-2 tournament. Now you have a chance to tackle the D-1 teams and hopefully gain entry to the World Stage.

Philippines win Asian 5 Nations promotion
    (IRB.COM) Monday 7 June 2010

The Philippine Volcanoes celebrate promotion from the HSBC Asian 5 Nations Division 2

Playing with an all-Filipino team for the first time in its history, the Philippine National Rugby team enjoyed a fine 34-12 win over hosts India in New Delhi to win the HSBC Asian Five Nations (A5N) Division 2 competition and gain promotion to Division 1 next year.

The victory continues an unchecked rise in A5N rugby for the Philippines, who have not lost a match for two years in Asia's elite rugby tournament.

In the play-off for third place Thailand beat China 56-3 to retain its Division 2 position and send China into next year's Division 3.

In the title match India, revved up by the 2000-strong crowd, made a terrific start with lock Surinder Singh crashing over for a try converted by full back Rohaan Sethna, but the Philippines quickly found a comfort zone guided by the steady boot of their fly half Oliver Saunders.

Saunders made India pay for a series of crucial penalties and a first half sin-binning by slotting through five penalties to account for 15 of the Philippines' 22 first half points. Brother Matt Saunders added the visitors' sole try of the opening 40 mintues.

After the break wing Ken Stern capped some flowing backline moves to land a brace of tries and effectively put the match out of reach.
    India never stopped in their efforts and were rewarded with a second try to the lock Singh, but the Philippines were able to hold on comfortably for the win, which means that they replace Chinese Taipei in next year's Division I where they will compete against former Top 5 teams Korea, Singapore and improving Malaysia.

"I'm very proud to have won Division 2, we came in with the idea of rebuilding, had seven debutants on the tour and to come away with a win, it's an incredible feeling," said Volcanoes coach Expo Mejia.

"We now have to build on the platform we have and the exciting brand of footy we are trying to play. We aren't expecting too much in Division 1 but we are thrilled to be there. The Division 1 teams have a lot of experience and they will be tough. They will also all be eager to get back to the Top 5, but we'll just enjoy the challenge."

Team manager Matt Cullen added: "Division 1 will be a huge challenge but we considered Division 2 a huge challenge.

We brought in a professional coach and assembled a young, 100% Filipino team and I think in 12 months we will be able to compete against the likes of Singapore and Malaysia.

"I am not saying we will win but we will be capable of playing in that division - and are looking forward to it."
    Thailand too strong for China
    China's difficulties in the A5N continued against the impressive Thai side. Warongkorn Khomkoet had another stylish performance at full back for Thailand, scoring 21 points on the day and 44 in the tournament, and wing Pinchit Yingcharoen scooped a hat-trick of tries.

Following on from a 94-0 loss to India in the opening semi final, China are relegated to next year's Division 3, the composition of which will be decided this week in the HSBC A5N Division 3 tournament in Jakarta, Indonesia featuring Pakistan, Guam, Iran and Indonesia on June 9-12.

http://www.irb.com/newsmedia/regional/newsid=2038588.html#philippines+asian+nations+prom otion

Comment

Coach Expo Mejia - my former Maths teacher and basketball coach

Believe it or not, Coach Expo Mejia was my former Year 9 (Freshman) Maths teacher and my former basketball coach when I was playing in the Junior Varsity (Under 16s) Team.

As a basketball coach, my gosh he loved to run the fast break and hardly focused on defense.

He eventually started coaching rugby in my old high school (Redfield College) after having spent a couple of years in New Zealand teaching Maths.

He turned our rugby team from a mediocre side in the local division into one of the best teams in the state.

Following his success, he was offered a position to work with the NSW Waratahs - a professional Australian rugby club in the Super 14s Rugby Competition, a rugby professional league that comprises of clubs from Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.

Eventually, he turned to the local Sydney rugby scene and had stint with the Penrth Emus Rugby Club.

Now he's gone back to his roots as Coach of the Philippine Volcanoes

MABUHAY PILIPINAS!

Back in 2009, I met the lads from the Volcanoes because they were at the Sydney Filipino Fiesta and were walking around promoting the game.

My gosh, they were HUGE. Many of whom are half Filipino - half something else.

It was a coincidence that when I met the lads I was wearing my Argentinean Rugby National Jersey ("Los Pumas").
      "No hay poder en el mundo que pueda cambiar el destino"
      -El Padrino

Comment

Is Andrew Wolfe still in the team
        To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
        1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

check out the cool videos and photos of the volcanoes at

Official site of the Philippine Rugby Football Union & Philippine Volcanoes

they have long ways to go, but it's nice how rugby is gaining ground in the philippines. i hope they develop players from the grassroots and not just from coño and expat communities.

rugby is more suited for filipinos than full contact american football. IMHO

and flag-football is more of a picnic-type recreational sport and is fun to play but there is no serious competition being played internationally, ditto with ultimate frisbee.

Comment

Heard about this team about weeks or a month ago while watching Hardball.. I didn't even know that Rugby exists in the Phils.. And they mentioned the competition they were joining.. They also told their story about their road to 'current' success, which was way before they won this current tourney..

CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU LADS! Well deserved after all the work you guys put in to.. Division One baby!>.<

The coach said that PFs in basketball would be the ideal players to be Rugby players (forgot if in the Phils or in general).. Come to think of it, we have a lot of PFs who don't find much success in basketball.. This will be fun..

Now that they are in Div1, they will truly be tested.. Just hope for the best..
            Philippines is in National Team transition mode.

Comment

this is Rugby Union and that is Rugby League. two different sports

Rugby League is not almost exist in Asia and many countries in the world ! the popular one is Rugby Union

Originally posted by eindhow View Post
              Now that they are in Div1, they will truly be tested.. Just hope for the best..
              this is actually Div2 ! you have to win this division to see the real asian powers in Five nations cup.

Comment

Originally posted by mohsena2631 View Post
                this is actually Div2 ! you have to win this division to see the real asian powers in Five nations cup.
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Asian_Five_Nations
                ??????

"The Philippines was promoted to Division One for 2011." - from your link..

"With this win, they charge into Division 1 of the A5N in 2011.." - from kaiziken's link..

But I suddenly get your point.. It's still 1 div lower than the Top five..
                Philippines is in National Team transition mode.

Comment

that's because they are all Australians

Comment

Originally posted by mohsena2631 View Post
                    this is Rugby Union and that is Rugby League. two different sports

Rugby League is not almost exist in Asia and many countries in the world ! the popular one is Rugby Union
                    Thanks for the info. Mohsen. I never knew that

What do you mean by 2 different sports? Are the rules different as in the NBA and FIBA?

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
                      that's because they are all Australians
                      Sure thing mate (Yeah most of them play in Australia but are originally Lebanese)

Comment

Originally posted by Khalid80 View Post
                        Sure thing mate (Yeah most of them play in Australia but are originally Lebanese)
                        Yea they all speak Arabic well and most of them lived in Lebanon for a major time of there lives.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not an expert..I don't really know the rules, just my observations..
                          Rugby Union - no forward passes, tackle galore
                          Rugby League - allows forward passes and limits the number of tackles
                          Score allocation for tries is also different, not sure on goals...

IMO, Rugby League is made for TV..fast and exciting(I happen to catch them on Aussie channels)..But I still like Rugby Union for international competitions..(Jonny Wilkinson is just superb)..And I'm happy that Philippines is fast catchig up with the rest of Asia.

Question: Why are the Arab Gulf countries taken as 1 country in international competitions?..

Comment

Originally posted by Khalid80 View Post
                            Thanks for the info. Mohsen. I never knew that

What do you mean by 2 different sports? Are the rules different as in the NBA and FIBA?

I means 2 different sports with 2 different world association, 2 different world cup and etc.
                            I think the difference between Rugby Union and League rules is way bigger than NBA / FIBA rules.
                            Rugby Union is a popular sport. it is an Asian Games sport and will be an olympic sport (in 2016 Rio) but Rugby League is not that popular (it is popular in some countries but International Rugby League is not as develop as other sports), we haven't even an asian federation for this sport !! (I think Lebanon is a member of european federation)

considering Iran, Iran doesn't have any rugby league team or clubs, Rugby League is not exist and Rugby Union is very new ! last year Iranian national team lost to Philippines in July 2009 and remained in the 3rd division (actually 4th div) but our coaches blamed the political situation of Iran as the major reason behind the loss (see, we can make excuse too )

Comment

Working...
                            X

Debug Information